PDA

View Full Version : Jordan mcgregor

Nevi_SOL
12-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Released by hibs on Friday apparently according to Berwick Rangers website

http://www.berwickrangers.com/coughlin-id-love-to-keep-mcgregor-around/

Berwick manager John Coughlin admitted that he’d love to keep Jordan McGregor at Shielfield following his release from Hibernian at the weekend, but has acknowledged that it’s unlikely he’ll be plying his trade in Black and Gold next season.

“Jordan was released from Hibernian on Friday night, and that left me with a decision to make. I needed to ensure he was mentally sound for the match.

“I wanted to make sure he was ready to go out there and put in a good perfomance with him, I had a chat with him on Friday night, had a chat with him pre-match, and I never doubted his character for a minute.

“I’m delighted for him and how he’s reacted. He’s keeping a great player out of the side as Robert Wilson has been doing really well for us.”

Coughlin continued to register his appreciation of McGregor’s character, adding: “You can see by the celebrations of his goal that he’s a popular character. Word gets round pretty quickly when these things happen. If I had any doubt at all I’d have taken him out of the equation.

“But he wants to play, and he wants to do good things for the team. He’s a top guy and I wish him all the best for his future.

“I’d love it to be here – let’s get that right, but I think it’d be a bad situation to put any of that kind of pressure on him just now. What he does know is that we’ll treat him with respect, and if he wants to come and play at this club I’ll be the first to make that happen.”

A classy centre-half, McGregor showed his technical prowess with numerous forward runs on Saturday and linked up with former Hibs teammate Callum Crane for the game’s best goal, which can be seen with special mystery BRFC TV commentary here.

“But I think he’ll explore his avenues. He’s come out of full-time football, and the norm for young guys like that is to try stay full-time, and I’m sure there’ll be interest – he’s too good a player not to be playing. But we’ll always be there for him.”

John also discussed his tactical and personnel changes since taking charge, his captain Jonny Fairbairn, attracting players

bob12345
12-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Always thought he looked like a hot prospect in development games.

GreenCastle
12-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Did he not play in the development win against Rangers last week?

Billy Whizz
12-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Did he not play in the development win against Rangers last week?

He sure did, also against Dundee Utd 20's last week as well
Surprised by this to say the least

GreenCastle
12-04-2016, 09:57 AM
I went to game last week and he looked one of the best players on the pitch !

I am struggling to think of any youngsters being involved with the 1st team this season also..I know a few are on loan but surely we have some coming through ?

lucky
12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Every time one of the youngsters get released people come on saying he was a hot prospect. The reality is that he was nowhere near the first team and obviously not regarded a good enough prospect by Eddie May and Alan Stubbs

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 10:32 AM
how many young players have we released in the past and regretted it a few seasons later ?

Pedantic_Hibee
12-04-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm still waiting for Damon Gray to come good.

Brightside
12-04-2016, 11:01 AM
how many young players have we released in the past and regretted it a few seasons later ?

none?

easty
12-04-2016, 11:11 AM

I can't think of any.

There were 2 lads at the start of this season, or maybe it was last season, that folk were saying Hibs were making a big mistake letting go. 2 full backs I think. What's happened to them?

SJM
12-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Leigh Griffiths

oneone73
12-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Stefan Scougall?

Alfred E Newman
12-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Gordon Strachan.

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:36 AM
none?

I can't think of any.

There were 2 lads at the start of this season, or maybe it was last season, that folk were saying Hibs were making a big mistake letting go. 2 full backs I think. What's happened to them?

sorry i should have made my point clearer, i can't actually remember any coming back to haunt us either :agree:

Leigh Griffiths

can you remember how long was leigh actually with us as a youth ? wikileaks has his career starting at livi, but that's one that got away right enough :(

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Gordon Strachan.

and another, was he told he was too small(or something like that) i do remember he was a 'boot laddie' who would the manager have been at the time ? can't remember that

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Stefan Scougall?

had to google that one http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-cool-interest-in-sheff-utd-s-stefan-scougall-1-4017847

Hibs have cooled their interest in signing Sheffield United midfielder Stefan Scougall.
Former Livingston starlet Scougall, 23, was wanted by the Hibees, St Johnstone and English clubs Portsmouth and Chesterfield.

from the same article in february this year

Meanwhile, Hibs have completed the signing of 19-year-old striker Josh Peters from Highland League club Strathspey Thistle. He is expected to join the club’s under-20 squad.

hows he coming along ?

Alfred E Newman
12-04-2016, 11:43 AM
I went to game last week and he looked one of the best players on the pitch !

I am struggling to think of any youngsters being involved with the 1st team this season also..I know a few are on loan but surely we have some coming through ?

At one of the East Mains open nights I listened to a spiel about how we were going to create one of the top scouting and youth development set ups in the country.
Where is it? The talent that has come though our so called Academy is 'more or less non existent.
Was this not one of the main aims of East Mains?
Any that do last the pace are either released or loaned out and then released.

Alfred E Newman
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
and another, was he told he was too small(or something like that) i do remember he was a 'boot laddie' who would the manager have been at the time ? can't remember that

Turnbull.

JimBHibees
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm still waiting for Damon Gray to come good.

Thanks for the reminder. :greengrin The decision to play him in preference to Steven Fletcher in the Dunfermline semi final, is right up there with the worst ever decisions IMO.

hibbybrian
12-04-2016, 11:46 AM

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Turnbull.

ta :aok:

oneone73
12-04-2016, 11:48 AM
had to google that one http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-cool-interest-in-sheff-utd-s-stefan-scougall-1-4017847

Hibs have cooled their interest in signing Sheffield United midfielder Stefan Scougall.
Former Livingston starlet Scougall, 23, was wanted by the Hibees, St Johnstone and English clubs Portsmouth and Chesterfield.

from the same article in february this year

Meanwhile, Hibs have completed the signing of 19-year-old striker Josh Peters from Highland League club Strathspey Thistle. He is expected to join the club’s under-20 squad.

hows he coming along ?

According to Wikipedia, Scougall was at Hibs 2003-9

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:48 AM

that's an old one :greengrin did he go to hertz after Motherwell ? iirc

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 11:50 AM

that must have been yogi that let him go ?

SJM
12-04-2016, 11:56 AM
sorry i should have made my point clearer, i can't actually remember any coming back to haunt us either :agree:

can you remember how long was leigh actually with us as a youth ? wikileaks has his career starting at livi, but that's one that got away right enough :(

11 until 16 was released for being a bam. Scougal for being too wee. Both went to Livi. hearts wanted Leigh he told them to bolt.

SJM
12-04-2016, 11:58 AM

Stefan was wanted by us this year 100% and I'll not be surprised if he signs in the summer. So was that Harris that played for Queens.

erin go bragh
12-04-2016, 12:56 PM

The laddie Scougal but he's the only one I can think of .

GGTTH

steviehibsleith
12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
11 until 16 was released for being a bam. Scougal for being too wee. Both went to Livi. hearts wanted Leigh he told them to bolt.

Incorrect Leigh was never at hibs youth

Brightside
12-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Incorrect Leigh was never at hibs youth

Correct. Leith - Hutchy - Livi.

Lago
12-04-2016, 02:53 PM
At one of the East Mains open nights I listened to a spiel about how we were going to create one of the top scouting and youth development set ups in the country.
Where is it? The talent that has come though our so called Academy is 'more or less non existent.
Was this not one of the main aims of East Mains?
Any that do last the pace are either released or loaned out and then released.
Youve summed up exactly my thoughts, there seems to be little or nothing being produced thrrew our youth system, not sure what goes on at E. Mains

Brooster
12-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Ive mentioned this before.....we will produce hee haw whilst May and McBride are in charge.

hibee-boys
12-04-2016, 03:13 PM
We should've stuck to playing in public parks and running along portobello beach, seemed to produce better prospects that our state of the art training complex.

hibs0666
12-04-2016, 03:15 PM
We should've stuck to playing in public parks and running along portobello beach, seemed to produce better prospects that our state of the art training complex.

Aye right and we should.

Brightside
12-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Youve summed up exactly my thoughts, there seems to be little or nothing being produced thrrew our youth system, not sure what goes on at E. Mains

Very similar in almost all Scottish teams.

Andy74
12-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Ive mentioned this before.....we will produce hee haw whilst May and McBride are in charge.

How do you explain May's record at Falkirk?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/eddie-may-i-don-t-want-to-produce-average-hibees-1-3509276

Brooster
12-04-2016, 03:34 PM
How do you explain May's record at Falkirk?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/eddie-may-i-don-t-want-to-produce-average-hibees-1-3509276

I dont need to explain his record at Falkirk. Im merely pointing out his record at Hibs and predicting his future success rate at Hibs.

DaveF
12-04-2016, 03:35 PM

You might as well include George Craig in your bin list since he brought them in.

Brooster
12-04-2016, 03:37 PM
You might as well include George Craig in your bin list since he brought them in.

Yes you could be right Dave. Jobs for the boys resulting in Hibs being no better off now than they were before these guys arrived.

Brightside
12-04-2016, 03:38 PM
I dont need to explain his record at Falkirk. Im merely pointing out his record at Hibs and predicting his future success rate at Hibs.

What is your issue with Eddie May?

DaveF
12-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Yes you could be right Dave. Jobs for the boys resulting in Hibs being no better off now than they were before these guys arrived.

It could be jobs for the boys or it could be we brought in coaches with good records?

They have been there 18 months, so isn't it a bit early to be writing them off as duds?

Smartie
12-04-2016, 03:41 PM

We've chopped and changed so much over the past few years that it is almost impossible to attribute our success (or lack of it) to any manager, management team, coach or approach.

We'd be better off having someone who is less than perfect and leave them in the job for a bit than to constantly be changing our approach.

It's harsh to blame him for us not bringing anyone of note through in the past 2 years, although your concerns re the future are valid.

cocopops1875
12-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Was Marc McNulty not with us for at least a while ?

J-C
12-04-2016, 04:02 PM

An 18 month record, yea that'll show what he's done re the youth here. :rolleyes:

Lago
12-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Very similar in almost all Scottish teams.
Agree and its a worry for the future standard of scottish football.

Brooster
12-04-2016, 04:14 PM
An 18 month record, yea that'll show what he's done re the youth here. :rolleyes:

Granted its only 18 months but Im well aware of whats going on.

stantonhibby
12-04-2016, 04:17 PM

What is going on ? I do have a mate who is a Falkirk who wasn't particularly complimentary about them but I put that down more to May's spell as manager which was poor.

Smartie
12-04-2016, 04:18 PM
What is going on ? I do have a mate who is a Falkirk who wasn't particularly complimentary about them but I put that down more to May's spell as manager which was poor.

You certainly can't argue with Falkirk's record at bringing through decent young players in recent years.

Billy Whizz
12-04-2016, 04:33 PM
You certainly can't argue with Falkirk's record at bringing through decent young players in recent years.

You can't, but you also need a 1st team manager to give them a chance, if their good enough

Scorrie
12-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Isn't James McDonagh the assistant at Falkirk as well?

woodyhfc4892
12-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Isn't James McDonagh the assistant at Falkirk as well?

Sure is, massive hibee as well apparently

greenlex
12-04-2016, 04:55 PM
No team has a consistent youth policy. Most youngsters get their dreak through adversity or need of one form or another rather than choice.

truehibernian
12-04-2016, 05:10 PM
No team has a consistent youth policy. Most youngsters get their dreak through adversity or need of one form or another rather than choice.

I agree to a point Lex but I've felt for a number of seasons that we (Hibs) should always have a young/youth player pushing the first team player in every position. For years we have had problems in the full back area regards competition - I cannot fathom why young players in the past have not been given a chance there. Because of adversity players like Harris, Stanton and Handling were introduced too soon and for periods too prolonged in my opinion - they were 'first teamers' before they learned the trade and they're now stagnating despite being talented lads.

There will have been players who could have made it with Hibs - but when you get released or told to go its deflating and hard for a teenager to pick themselves up from - hence you see youth players drift out the game so often (all clubs).

I'm willing to give Craig and others 3 years to fully establish the youth set up - but my aim would be to see a youth player being able to challenge and step in, if need be, in every position 1-11.

eastmainsmsh
12-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Lad I know was interviewed for post as 21 manager before mcbride got it Stubbs and Holden were there he had to go thru a drill he was politley declined and when he went back up to east mains mcbride was giving the exact same routine

bruno
12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Correct. Leith - Hutchy - Livi.

Not quite
Missed out inch colts

GreenPJ
12-04-2016, 05:42 PM
It could be jobs for the boys or it could be we brought in coaches with good records?

They have been there 18 months, so isn't it a bit early to be writing them off as duds?

This is what I was thinking - what is the timeframe to take youth from initial stage to be ready and pushing for the first team? I would have thought that in the main if you are dealing with 15/16/17 year olds you would be looking at a 3 year development programme before they would be ready for first team but I have no experience in this so no idea if that timeframe is accurate or not but if it is then some of these youngsters at best will be mid-way through that under the current regime and some will only be at the early stages so a bit much to be expecting guys to be coming through yet?

tine0802
12-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Every time one of the youngsters get released people come on saying he was a hot prospect. The reality is that he was nowhere near the first team and obviously not regarded a good enough prospect by Eddie May and Alan Stubbs

Having watched him at Berwick and followed his progress (14 games, 8 clean sheets and 2 goals, not bad for an 18 year old centre half) Id wager he would do at least as well as the diddies in the first team have of late.

Not short of admirers I believe, he will do just fine away from a Hibs team who clearly dont want to develop their youth.

Brooster
12-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Lad I know was interviewed for post as 21 manager before mcbride got it Stubbs and Holden were there he had to go thru a drill he was politley declined and when he went back up to east mains mcbride was giving the exact same routine

IL didnt have a hope in hell of getting the job. As I say....jobs for the boys, despite not being up to it.

GreenCastle
12-04-2016, 10:21 PM
I find this odd with the timing of the release.

Surely wait till end of the season ?

Andy74
12-04-2016, 10:25 PM

I'm pleased to hear the amount of people that have an issue with him and his approach. He mentions it in the article that it will happen. He set up needed to change.

The important thing is what is produced at the end of it for the first team. It will be a few years before that can be judged.

tine0802
12-04-2016, 10:27 PM
I find this odd with the timing of the release.

Surely wait till end of the season ?

He will be there till end of season but free to go train with other teams, he played for dev team Monday as well at inverness i believe

oconnors_strip
12-04-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm pleased to hear the amount of people that have an issue with him and his approach. He mentions it in the article that it will happen. He set up needed to change.

The important thing is what is produced at the end of it for the first team. It will be a few years before that can be judged.

If we keep releasing players though we might not have anything to produce!

tine0802
13-04-2016, 08:19 AM
If we keep releasing players though we might not have anything to produce!

Baffles me why we are putting lads out on loan, presumably to give first team experience, they rise to the challenge and come on leaps and bounds, yet don't then at least give them a chance! Why develop them to then let them go, free of charge??

Iain G
13-04-2016, 09:28 AM

How about less of the innuendo and wee digs and winks and maybe tell us what is going on if you are that concerned about it? :confused:

Billy Whizz
13-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Baffles me why we are putting lads out on loan, presumably to give first team experience, they rise to the challenge and come on leaps and bounds, yet don't then at least give them a chance! Why develop them to then let them go, free of charge??

Think they go on loan for 2 reasons, 1) to give them time to develop against older and more experienced players 2) gives Hibs the chance to access if they are progressing and good enough to retain