PDA

View Full Version : London Road/Elm Row Clock?

DUX
10-04-2016, 09:05 PM
I used to love the flower beds and stone clock at the Elm Row/London Road roundabout when driving to Easter Road. I know it was because of the trams it was removed.

Anyone know if it will ever be replaced back to how it was. It was really nice, now it's just ruin with holes in the road?

:confused:

Framie
10-04-2016, 09:17 PM
I used to love the flower beds and stone clock at the Elm Row/London Road roundabout when driving to Easter Road. I know it was because of the trams it was removed.

Anyone know if it will ever be replaced back to how it was. It was really nice, now it's just ruin with holes in the road?

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/more-heritage/lost-edinburgh-the-london-road-clock-1-4069537

not coming back according to this.

DUX
10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/more-heritage/lost-edinburgh-the-london-road-clock-1-4069537

not coming back according to this.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm shocked. Sheer vandalism by the Yam council. As you can see from the picture it was as nice as I remember it. Shocking.

Edson Arantes
10-04-2016, 09:42 PM

Sniff.

DUX
10-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Sniff.

Sniff what exactly?

Colr
10-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Remember the sculpture that used to be outside the playhouse? It looked like a scaffolding tower but was covered in lights that were supposed to change based on the wind speed and direction. It never worked, though. At least, I never saw it working.

monktonharp
10-04-2016, 09:53 PM
cant see where the trams were involved. It has been an open roundabout for many years, with some painted kerb stones I think.wish they were painted green and white. :wink:that area is a mess, and has been a bit keek for a number of years. gets a bit dangerous too when turning from auld Leith street, into Leopold place (London Rd.) as the pedestrians seem to think they can just jump over to the bus stops from the Greenside (dofos) side right in front of traffic. I often have to brake hard with a big van, because they seem to think it's fine to try and catch the lights there. I know the area, but strangers must think ....what the f/ck are they doin'.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Sniff what exactly?

Poppy thieves

matty_f
10-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Poppy thieves

What's the need for the Yam chat on this thread?

monktonharp
10-04-2016, 10:03 PM

not coming back according to this.how are things in Bulgaria? there also used to be a big TOILET BLOCK for the want of a better word, half way down from the top of Leith Street if I recall. think were all licenced to pish in the street now,a bit like Polis horses .:wink: oh the times they are a changin'

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-04-2016, 10:10 PM
What's the need for the Yam chat on this thread?

I've never liked the term 'yam' seems a bit internety.

matty_f
10-04-2016, 10:11 PM
I've never liked the term 'yam' seems a bit internety.

Good stuff, how come you were on about sniffing poppies then?

Nakedmanoncrack
10-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Remember the sculpture that used to be outside the playhouse? It looked like a scaffolding tower but was covered in lights that were supposed to change based on the wind speed and direction. It never worked, though. At least, I never saw it working.

:agree:
The Kinetic Sculpture.

Forza Fred
11-04-2016, 12:56 AM

I remember it well and I think it was officially described as a 'kinetic sculpture'

I also have memories of it changing colour early in its existence..in the very early 70s, or that could have just been due to my over imbibing in the nearby Mayfair pub!

The Mayfair.....now there was a pub!

Framie
11-04-2016, 02:40 PM
how are things in Bulgaria? there also used to be a big TOILET BLOCK for the want of a better word, half way down from the top of Leith Street if I recall. think were all licenced to pish in the street now,a bit like Polis horses .:wink: oh the times they are a changin'

Warm and sunny :-) for a moment thought you said Bulgaria was a toilet block where you can pish in the street until I re-read it I thought you must have visited before:greengrin

tamig
11-04-2016, 02:54 PM
cant see where the trams were involved. It has been an open roundabout for many years, with some painted kerb stones I think.wish they were painted green and white. :wink:that area is a mess, and has been a bit keek for a number of years. gets a bit dangerous too when turning from auld Leith street, into Leopold place (London Rd.) as the pedestrians seem to think they can just jump over to the bus stops from the Greenside (dofos) side right in front of traffic. I often have to brake hard with a big van, because they seem to think it's fine to try and catch the lights there. I know the area, but strangers must think ....what the f/ck are they doin'.
It was moved when they removed the roundabout at the top of Leith Walk for the Leith section of the tram works. An absolute scandal. Everything to do with the trams.

jgl07
12-04-2016, 02:34 PM
It was moved when they removed the roundabout at the top of Leith Walk for the Leith section of the tram works. An absolute scandal. Everything to do with the trams.
I have lived in Edinburgh since the late 1980's and do not recall anything like you are describing.

HibbyDave
12-04-2016, 02:40 PM
I was born in a tenement that overlooked the junction/roundabout! used to play all round that area and in the gardens along London Road.
Remember very well watching "throwing out time" at the Mayfair and The Elm bars.
Strange to see The Salon Cinema still lying empty and now no doubt rat infested etc

Green Man
12-04-2016, 02:45 PM
I watched the league cup parade from the middle of that roundabout in 2007. I was gutted when they took it away.

hibernia_inn
12-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Warm and sunny :-) for a moment thought you said Bulgaria was a toilet block where you can pish in the street until I re-read it I thought you must have visited before:greengrin

Love going to the Sea Gardens when i am visiting Bourgas.

snedzuk
12-04-2016, 03:58 PM
:agree:
The Kinetic Sculpture.

The 'Kinetic Art Sculpture' - if you think we are bad now we used to say about that sculpture that it should pull a strip on as it looked more mobile than whoever we had up front at the time.

tamig
12-04-2016, 05:02 PM
I have lived in Edinburgh since the late 1980's and do not recall anything like you are describing.

What the tram works or the Leith Walk roundabout with the clock in the middle? Not sure if you're having a laugh.

oldbutdim
12-04-2016, 05:14 PM
The Kinetic Sculpture was the brainchild of Brian Annable the City Architect. The coloured light tubes were designed to react to wind speeds, but malfunctioned almost from day one. A bottle chucked by a Currant Bun following a match at Easter Road sounded it's death knell.
The total costs of this short lived 'modern sculpture' were quite horrific.

leither17
12-04-2016, 05:51 PM

100% what happened

JohnMcM
12-04-2016, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=HibbyDave;4644295...............
Strange to see The Salon Cinema still lying empty and now no doubt rat infested etc[/QUOTE]

Ah! The Salon. Still have nightmares about the dirty old men in there eating raw sausages trying to touch me up and offering a penny for a look.

Right then, now I've got that off my chest. Off to the match.

C'mon the Hibees.

snedzuk
12-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Ah! The Salon. Still have nightmares about the dirty old men in there eating raw sausages trying to touch me up and offering a penny for a look.

Right then, now I've got that off my chest. Off to the match.

C'mon the Hibees.

That wasnt a raw sausage....