PDA

View Full Version : East stand

murray26
10-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Since everyone is looking for reasons things are going wrong I.e Thompson .. Stokes etc.. I'll throw my tuppence worth in.. Since that unnecessarily large stand was built how bad have we been.. Can someone tell me who and why.. We live in a supply and demand world and supply has well and truly outweighed demand.. Our ground is embarrassingly to big for us and holds little atmosphere most of the time.. We really do have clowns running our club.. Rant over..

danhibees1875
10-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Did a single fan object to the proposals at the time?

It had to be done then or we would likely never get planning permission again because of the flats that are now there. I am glad that we have 4 proper, full sized stands- the place is amazing when full. 7k attendances wouldn't look any less poor in the old stadium than they do currently.

SJM
10-04-2016, 09:16 AM
We needed to build the stand when we did otherwise it wouldn't have gotten approval.

semaj64
10-04-2016, 09:16 AM

It had to be done then or we would likely never get planning permission again because of the flats that are now there. I am glad that we have 4 proper, full sized stands- the place is amazing when full. 7k attendances wouldn't look any less poor in the old stadium than they do currently.

Agree I have been to crap games in the old ground. It is the players and the fans that make the atmosphere. Good exciting games gets the crowd going as with any sport.

murray26
10-04-2016, 09:21 AM
We could still have built a new stand but did it have to be so big..? A more compact ground helps the atmosphere and improves the match day experience for everyone.. Just my opinion..

Just Jimmy
10-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Since everyone is looking for reasons things are going wrong I.e Thompson .. Stokes etc.. I'll throw my tuppence worth in.. Since that unnecessarily large stand was built how bad have we been.. Can someone tell me who and why.. We live in a supply and demand world and supply has well and truly outweighed demand.. Our ground is embarrassingly to big for us and holds little atmosphere most of the time.. We really do have clowns running our club.. Rant over..

Wasn't too big when we were pumping that lot out the cup though was it?

Did you enjoy the atmosphere that night?

Colr
10-04-2016, 09:34 AM
We nearly expanded to 100k in the 50s by increasing the east banking. Been downhill since we abandoned the ambition

Alfred E Newman
10-04-2016, 09:52 AM

What a load of rubbish.
What effect did the East stand have on our abysmal performances at Alloa and Dumbarton?

Itsnoteasy
10-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Please tell me what grounds sell out in the UK every week. There won't be many. Also supply & demand. What about last derby,near sell out 20k. So if the PLAYERS supply, the FANS will DEMAND

murray26
10-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Wasn't too big when we were pumping that lot out the cup though was it?

Did you enjoy the atmosphere that night?
I did mate yes but 2 sell outs since it's been built isn't nearly enough.. Surely if the board felt it was needed they should have had plans to make sure it was getting used.. Why buy a season ticket for example when you know for a fact you'll get a ticket for any match you want..? It's just another example of how thoughtless our board is IMO..

Itsnoteasy
10-04-2016, 10:01 AM

What capacity of stadium would you have gone for? 10K.
Even that would be to big for most of our home matches these days.
Are you forgetting the income that comes from neutral venue semi finals & the occasional Scotland match. The clowns would not be thinking about that either.

marinello59
10-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Is there no end to the scapegoating on here? If the East Stand was perfect it wouldn't be in this league. Why not try supporting it instead of sticking the boot in.

FranckSuzy
10-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I did mate yes but 2 sell outs since it's been built isn't nearly enough.. Surely if the board felt it was needed they should have had plans to make sure it was getting used.. Why buy a season ticket for example when you know for a fact you'll get a ticket for any match you want..? It's just another example of how thoughtless our board is IMO..

To back the club? To provide the Manager with transfer funds?

IF the team were performing on the pitch, we'd have many more sell-outs though. Also, we have a UEFA compliant stadium that has been used for International games and Cup semi-finals and not some ramshackle, health hazard.

Itsnoteasy
10-04-2016, 10:08 AM

I agree with you on the season ticket. The only real benefit with season ticket is the near guarantee of an away ticket for the in demand games

Nakedmanoncrack
10-04-2016, 10:38 AM
one of the few things club has done right in recent years.

Thecat23
10-04-2016, 10:47 AM

We got a very good deal on the land, we secured Easter Roads future and made it a ground where Scotland can play other events can be held there and money can be made which can go to improving the team.

The board have got lots wrong but this they got right.

Carheenlea
10-04-2016, 10:47 AM
We have the best stadium outside Glasgow, but while the ground is larger than required at present due to the majority of Hibs fans being of the fair weather variety. When times are better, it would be nice to assume more fans would back the club battling it out with the Old Firm, Heart and Aberdeen in a well filled Easter Road.
These days feel a long time off this morning, and if that was to be the case I fear we will find out that not as many people care about Hibs than we would like to think.

murray26
10-04-2016, 11:09 AM
How much do we actually make out of the very occasional scotland friendlys or odd semi final..? Anyway i was just giving my opinion hopefully we can find a way of getting fans back along to ER.. Thanks for the replys..

Jones28
10-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Mince.

The stand had to built at the time because the finance was available and the planning permission would've lapsed.

It didn't feel unnecessarily large when it was full against hearts a mere 2 months ago when everything was rosy.

stoneyburn hibs
10-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Is there no end to the scapegoating on here? If the East Stand was perfect it wouldn't be in this league. Why not try supporting it instead of sticking the boot in.

I can't believe that you are backing the stand, especially after yesterday's result. It has to go.

Waxy
10-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Nothing wrong with the stand. Every ground in The UK has lost the atmosphere of their old ground.Have you watched any English championship matches? Grounds bigger than ours less than half full every week. Its not just our problem. Safe standing areas can bring back some really good atmosphere. Until then just think back to the last derby.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2016, 01:07 PM
How is the east stand to blame for us not winning an away match in the league for two months? :confused:

We've only lost one match at Easter Road in nine months (albeit a terrible one, 0-3 to Morton) so I'm not sure how that ties in with the east stand being at fault for our failures.

Waxy
10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the stand. Every ground in The UK has lost the atmosphere of their old ground.Have you watched any English championship matches? Grounds bigger than ours less than half full every week. Its not just our problem. Safe standing areas can bring back some really good atmosphere. Until then just think back to the last derby.

scoopyboy
10-04-2016, 01:25 PM
How much do we actually make out of the very occasional scotland friendlys or odd semi final..? Anyway i was just giving my opinion hopefully we can find a way of getting fans back along to ER.. Thanks for the replys..

I was privileged enough to see Turnbulls Tornadoes but a lot of home games were played in front of 8000 when in the same seasons we were getting gates of above 40000 occasionally and a 49000 crowd in a Scottish Cup replay against Rangers.

So for some games the ground was only an eighth full, didn't stop the team winning or fans enjoying.

Blaming the East is your opinion which you are entitled to but I cannot agree with it.

Bishop Hibee
10-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Rubbish.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2016, 01:30 PM

The East Stand is most certaily not to blame for our form, I was against the new stand at the time as thats where my season ticket used to be and I think they've ruined the ground by building it. Blaming our poor form on the new stand is ridiculous though. This isn't some voodoo curse. It's the managers and players that are solely to blame. They are not good enough.

murray26
10-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Fair enough points taken.. It would have been my personal choice to have a smaller more compact stand but I do accept it has nothing to do with our current poor form.. I woke up this morning still peed off and went off on one.. Hopefully we can get back to getting 12-13 thousand home fans like we did Mowbray era..

3pm
10-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I actually blame the folk in the stand. Like me.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Fair enough points taken.. It would have been my personal choice to have a smaller more compact stand but I do accept it has nothing to do with our current poor form.. I woke up this morning still peed off and went off on one.. Hopefully we can get back to getting 12-13 thousand home fans like we did Mowbray era..

I'd have made it two tier to mimic the West but I'd have seating in the upper and Safe Standing in the lower, imo that would have vastly improved the atmosphere at the ground.

eastcoasthibby
10-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I'd have made it two tier to mimic the West but I'd have seating in the upper and Safe Standing in the lower, imo that would have vastly improved the atmosphere at the ground.

Whatever next ....blaming the building of a stand for everything thereafter ..!!! Sorry but there has been more than enough time to get over that spend !
If anything and in reality what has been laid out on players in the past 2 seasons and in particular this one, we should be looking for any excuses, as it's what happens on the park that's not working and we will never know if it's the manager/coaching or players attitude and not delivering.!! But regardless this is Stubbs team and they have stopped doing it and need to get back on it again on Tuesday ..all of us in the east and rest of the ground will back them to the hilt when what's on the park shows the right signs !! ....

Leith Green
10-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Deary me .... I have heard some crap over the years but are you really suggesting that we blame concrete and steel beams for being ***** these past 5 seasons?

Absolutly mental 😂

IWasThere2016
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM

I did object and still think it was a dreadful decision.

Leith Green
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM

The club and the board was building the infrastructure to secure our future. This was an important and correct thing to do. What it shouldn't be confused with are the boards shocking managerial appointments.

marinello59
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM

I was really hoping you wouldn't see this thread. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
10-04-2016, 04:23 PM
I was really hoping you wouldn't see this thread. :greengrin

Aye., I'm no going there either :wink:

Keith_M
10-04-2016, 04:24 PM

:faf:

danhibees1875
10-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Fair enough!

.... No more than a single fan opposed the proposals at the time... :wink:

Nah, I'm sure more did to be fair - were your objections based around the money being better spent elsewhere - the player budget, not needing the extra 3k capacity for a stadium we rarely full, or an emotional attachment to those naff old toilets (the wall) that we used to have to use? Or all 3.

Keith_M
10-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, THAT'S what it is, the reason Hibs are crap is because of building the East Stand.

This place gets more hilarious every day.

h18eeynick
10-04-2016, 05:03 PM
I am probably going to create a bit of debate here but as a Bank Manager i have seen how much revenue a club in our league make from plastic pitch . I cannot mention which club but at a time when weather is causing a lot of problems ( just look at Hampden ) and some clubs in both premier and championship are doing ok on it , is it time to do this at Easter Road ? Open up the training centre for matches at night time as well as Easter Road and i would be surprised if we dont bring in at least £200,000 per annum if run properly . That would cover a few wages

Hibernia&Alba
10-04-2016, 05:07 PM
I love the new stand: its steep design gives terrific views. The stadium is excellent now.

Alfred E Newman
10-04-2016, 05:11 PM
I love the new stand: its steep design gives terrific views. The stadium is excellent now.

Of course it is. It is the stuff on the park that is the problem, not the ground or the fans.

TrinityHibs
10-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Where's the Sky link for Sunshine on Leith when we dumped our special neighbours out of the cup. It was just the right size that night.

lapsedhibee
10-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Where's the Sky link for Sunshine on Leith when we dumped our special neighbours out of the cup. It was just the right size that night.

Why, it's right here ...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/10171281/watch-hibernian-fans-celebrate-cup-win-over-edinburgh-rivals-hearts

Michael
10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
I am probably going to create a bit of debate here but as a Bank Manager i have seen how much revenue a club in our league make from plastic pitch . I cannot mention which club but at a time when weather is causing a lot of problems ( just look at Hampden ) and some clubs in both premier and championship are doing ok on it , is it time to do this at Easter Road ? Open up the training centre for matches at night time as well as Easter Road and i would be surprised if we dont bring in at least £200,000 per annum if run properly . That would cover a few wages

This would cement our place as Scotland's biggest joke.

Bishop Hibee
10-04-2016, 06:07 PM

That would have been ideal. I think the two tier stand was knocked back due to cost. As for safe standing, the football authorities aren't forward thinking enough to allow this at the moment.

Onceinawhile
10-04-2016, 06:10 PM
That would have been ideal. I think the two tier stand was knocked back due to cost. As for safe standing, the football authorities aren't forward thinking enough to allow this at the moment.

Nope, it was knocked back as the club consulted the fans and they wanted a single tier.

I wanted a two tier one as well.

h18eeynick
10-04-2016, 06:18 PM
This would cement our place as Scotland's biggest joke.

Why ?

Hibby Bairn
10-04-2016, 06:25 PM
I blame the Hearts supporting young lady who buried a maroon top in the foundations when it was being built.

Jinxed ever since.

SunshineOnLeith
10-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Why ?

Because attempting to generate additional revenue from the Club's assets is hilarious, apparently.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2016, 07:49 PM

i really do wish this could be made a sticky on here

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Nope, it was knocked back as the club consulted the fans and they wanted a single tier.

I wanted a two tier one as well.

well they didn't consult me :grr: i would have went for a two-tier

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2016, 07:53 PM

Me neither.

I would've gone for the Venetian blinds option.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Me neither.

I would've gone for the Venetian blinds option.

or, the seats facing the flats option :(

IWasThere2016
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Fair enough!

Nah, I'm sure more did to be fair - were your objections based around the money being better spent elsewhere - the player budget, not needing the extra 3k capacity for a stadium we rarely full, or an emotional attachment to those naff old toilets (the wall) that we used to have to use? Or all 3.

My last word on this .. as M59 will have a fit otherwise :wink:

We spent what we didn't need to, and what we didn't have with additional debt taken on.

The money should have gone on the team, discounted/free child tickets to try and grow the fanbase .. we built it, the team suffered and the crowds fell.

A refurbished East (and filling the corners in if ever needed - highly unlikely IMHO) - and no additional debt would have been the sensible/better choice IMHO.

h18eeynick
10-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Because attempting to generate additional revenue from the Club's assets is hilarious, apparently.

Seems like it from lack of responses !

hibs69
10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
The East is effin awesome! (on good days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uYHZgE6AM

greenpaper55
10-04-2016, 08:57 PM
It is the east stands fault as it cannot play in a diamond don't you know !

cocopops1875
10-04-2016, 09:16 PM
I blame the 2nd wave of east stand stones, we've done nothing since they were unveiled and therefore having contributed to one I blame myself, too much positive energy placed outside of the stadium has sucked the ability from the pitch it's all my fault

Bostonhibby
10-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Never seen the stand miss a goal yet. In fact I'm pretty sure it could beat alloa. The stand must stay. If good stands weren't the future do you think the yams would be wasting someone else's money building a proper one?

Hibee_Rab
10-04-2016, 11:16 PM

We can't just get rid of the East Stand unless we know we can get a better quality stand in to replace it. That said after Man Utd's season maybe we could get in the Alex Ferguson stand from Old Trafford.

Onceinawhile
10-04-2016, 11:19 PM

There was a survey and everything. (can someone else confirm so I know I'm not sprawling)

cabbageandribs1875
11-04-2016, 12:41 AM
There was a survey and everything. (can someone else confirm so I know I'm not sprawling)

the more i think about it i think the club missed an opportunity for lower tier/upper tier pricing in the East, i was googling admission prices earlier for all SPL clubs, then i came to tincastle and all the 'zones' they have :rolleyes: silver/gold/platinum/some other one, upper tiers/lower tiers etc etc with all varying prices, although it would have reduced the capacity in the East obviously

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2016, 06:13 AM
Until we make it the same height as the other 3 stands we will never achieve anything in the game.

Keith_M
11-04-2016, 06:19 AM
Since the East stand was built, Syria has erupted in civil war, europe has been flooded with refugees and islamic terrorism has reached the heart of Europe.

Coincidence? I think not!

Oh and the East Stand is an even worse Goalie than Oxley.

Pete
11-04-2016, 06:43 AM
We've got one of the best grounds in Scotland that's great even when it's not full. Empty seats? So what. This obsession with attendances is so Hearts.

They might have 15000 every game but it's mainly analy retentive cardigan wearers who would rather leave than sing.

Rubbish thread.

Waxy
11-04-2016, 06:50 AM
I blame the Hearts supporting young lady who buried a maroon top in the foundations when it was being built.

Jinxed ever since.
No worry. Guess whos building a stand soon.

California-Hibs
11-04-2016, 07:12 AM
What a stupid stupid thread. Our fortunes have absolutely nothing to do with the East Stand being built.

We're far better off with that stand compared to the old one. For many reasons.

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2016, 10:22 AM
The stand had to be built before the existing planning permission ran out or we would never have been able to build anything taller than the old east stand was ....... apart from that the old east was a tip and it had to go.

Neither the stand nor the stadium need to be full to generate a good atmosphere ..... I've seen super atmospheres in games where the crowd was 10,000 or less. We just don't have many games that are end to end or where there is a decent away support to bounce off of and that doesn't help.

The only thing I would say is that the stand could have been built a couple of metres closer to the touchline .... I'm pretty sure the run off area didn't have to be so wide, or if it did they could have widened the pitch a bit less than they did. The upshot is that the gaps between the east, FF and east, south are too big and do detract from the enclosed feel the ground could and should have.

Was building it the right thing to do? ............ absolutely.

Hermit Crab
11-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Fair enough!

I was against it as well and I hated seeing in getting pulled down at the end of the season.

tamig
11-04-2016, 02:46 PM

There was indeed. The East in exactly what I said I wanted - single tier, same height as other stands but with a steeper pitch for the seating.

tamig
11-04-2016, 02:49 PM
the more i think about it i think the club missed an opportunity for lower tier/upper tier pricing in the East, i was googling admission prices earlier for all SPL clubs, then i came to tincastle and all the 'zones' they have :rolleyes: silver/gold/platinum/some other one, upper tiers/lower tiers etc etc with all varying prices, although it would have reduced the capacity in the East obviously
If you go down the hertz route the East is actually two tiered. The five rows at the front as you come in the entrances are quite clearly the lower tier and the rows behind those are the upper. 😀