PDA

View Full Version : Malonga

Torto7062
09-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Gets you thinking eh.....

People are banging on about the form since Stokes and Thomson signed but I think that Cummings needed a player like Malonga...
Plan B ????
What is plan B now ?...hope we beat Falkirk who will be right in our faces for 90 mins on tuesday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

truehibernian
09-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Plan B is really getting back to Plan A and playing a system that suits our play, is expansive and varies play. That being a 3-5-2 set up. Whenever we have played this way we open team up and our central three know what their role is.

As I posted earlier, we must surely have two or three development players that can slot in right and left back or indeed an out and out wide player (with Carmichael about as resilient as a twig it seems) !

Andy74
09-04-2016, 04:52 PM

People are banging on about the form since Stokes and Thomson signed but I think that Cummings needed a player like Malonga...
Plan B ????
What is plan B now ?...hope we beat Falkirk who will be right in our faces for 90 mins on tuesday

Stubbs was complacent about the strikers we brought in being better. Dagnall still hasn't scored.

HibsNutter
09-04-2016, 04:53 PM
We replaced him with Stokes, even if it doesn't work out it was a positive move at the time and I want us to replace average players with better ones every window, as it will work out more often than not.

09-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Think its time to move on from Malonga now. There seems to be a Malonga thread just about every week when we get beat.

**** that he left but what happened happened so time to move on IMO.

Weststandwanab
09-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Stubbs was complacent about the strikers we brought in being better. Dagnall still hasn't scored.

I know that feeling.

Trainor
09-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Shouldn't have got rid of Malonga, he offered different things.

IberianHibernian
09-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Plan B is really getting back to Plan A and playing a system that suits our play, is expansive and varies play. That being a 3-5-2 set up. Whenever we have played this way we open team up and our central three know what their role is.

As I posted earlier, we must surely have two or three development players that can slot in right and left back or indeed an out and out wide player (with Carmichael about as resilient as a twig it seems) ! A wide player like Harris ?

TAHibby
09-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Whatever the reason for his departure whether it was related to Stokes coming in or not or anything else, we miss him big time.

Winston Ingram
09-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Malonga was far from perfect and I could understand why he went.

I think the issue here is we have enough options up front but our blinkered leader refuses to separate Stokes/Cummings

high bee
09-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Think its time to move on from Malonga now. There seems to be a Malonga thread just about every week when we get beat.

**** that he left but what happened happened so time to move on IMO.

I know what you're saying but I think it's the biggest factor for our downfall, he didn't score much but he worked well with JC who was banging them in, now we have the undroppable Stokes who tries flicks and tricks all the time and clearly doesn't have a great understanding with JC.

When Keatings and Stokes played well together I had hope, next game Keats is dropped and JC is back in.

Boyle gets MOM on Tuesday and can't get a start.

Stubbs said there would be competition for places and you would have to perform to be in the team but too often we've seen the same players week after week despite poor performances.

Andy74
09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
We replaced him with Stokes, even if it doesn't work out it was a positive move at the time and I want us to replace average players with better ones every window, as it will work out more often than not.

Stokes was here when he left. Seen as a whole we let go Malonga and Anier (and Feruz) and brought in Stokes and Dagnall.

Malonga and Anier were both contributing in the weeks leading up to it.

truehibernian
09-04-2016, 05:05 PM
A wide player like Harris ?

Nope, for me Martin Boyle is much like Alex but has an end product on more occasions. I was more thinking a Michael O'Neil / Crunchie combination - they could both take players on, in the case of McAllister more a dribbler and direct player - MON was more adept at dropping the shoulder and gliding past players - but both were very effective wide players which allowed Keith to stick in that box and be there to score goals.

Our strikers are having to play wider and deeper to collect possession. We must play with width and purpose.

truehibernian
09-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Stokes was here when he left. Seen as a whole we let go Malonga and Anier (and Feruz) and brought in Stokes and Dagnall.

I agree - the winter window wasn't good. Malonga in particular is a huge loss to the way the forward line play. He hasn't been replaced at all well. Dagnall is a very poor player - I don't think I've seen a forward get the ball stuck in feet so often, and he's rarely played. An odd signing.

B.H.F.C
09-04-2016, 05:16 PM

Anier made about 3 appearances. Feruz shouldn't even come in to the equation. Stokes alone has scored as many as the three we let go combined. Although I wouldn't argue that Malonga is a better option than Dagnall.

Also, worth remembering that Malonga wanted to go.

bod
09-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Shouldn't have got rid of Malonga, he offered different things.

maybe he wanted away for personal reasons so the club reluctantly accepted an offer which suited him ?

Andy74
09-04-2016, 05:30 PM
maybe he wanted away for personal reasons so the club reluctantly accepted an offer which suited him ?

Lovely for him. Well worth gambling our immediate future with.

tamig
09-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Plan B ????

Gets you thinking? Many of us said at the time it was the wrong decision and far too many ignored it hailing Stokes the Messiah. Dom has been missed big time. Nobody can doubt that.

Speedy
09-04-2016, 05:36 PM

It's a gamble either way; getting rid or persevering with a player that doesn't want to be there.

Joe6-2
09-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Malonga shouldn't even be mentioned, surely Cummings, and especially Stokes, should be way ahead in the scoring stakes in this bloody league!!!

IberianHibernian
09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Nope, for me Martin Boyle is much like Alex but has an end product on more occasions. I was more thinking a Michael O'Neil / Crunchie combination - they could both take players on, in the case of McAllister more a dribbler and direct player - MON was more adept at dropping the shoulder and gliding past players - but both were very effective wide players which allowed Keith to stick in that box and be there to score goals.

Our strikers are having to play wider and deeper to collect possession. We must play with width and purpose.Would be great to have an O`Neill or Crunchie but even if we get promoted and win cup , players of that calibre would be outwith our budget for next season . The young winger at Killie ( Chris Johnson perhaps ) always looked good but no idea what he`s like now ( came on as a sub today so maybe like Boyle etc used as an impact player ) . In transfer window of January 2013 when we were nearly top of the league , Fenlon brought in Matt Done - folk tend to say it was a bad signing and he was out of team by time of cup final but his pace was useful in some matches and he`s been doing well in England this season . A signing like that in January might have helped . Disagree about Harris and Boyle . Anyway , no new options till next season unless loan players like harris are available for playoffs and / or possible cup final .

Andy74
09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Malonga shouldn't even be mentioned, surely Cummings, and especially Stokes, should be way ahead in the scoring stakes in this bloody league!!!

He was different. One of the most gifted players we've had for years. It wasn't just about goals. Looked poor timing to let him go given what we had ahead of us. Still, managers live and die by those things.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-04-2016, 05:45 PM
EVERY player seems to be playing poorly now. Why would Malonga have been any different? We'd be saying the same about Cummings if he'd left in January.

rabcp1
09-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Malonga has been a massive loss for us, his movement created the pockets of space that Cummings thrived in, it's no coincidence that Cummings only has one league goal since Malonga left!

high bee
09-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Malonga has been a massive loss for us, his movement created the pockets of space that Cummings thrived in, it's no coincidence that Cummings only has one league goal since Malonga left!

Totally agree, his contribution is totally overlooked IMO. He used to frustrate me but I noticed a massive difference when he was here and not playing.

Nicho87
09-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Mcginn should be rested now, hes looked ****** for over a month imo. Doesnt matter if we come 4th id rather all our players were 110% rather than 80%. Same goes for cummings.

California-Hibs
09-04-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm gonna say it, if Malonga had still been at Hibs we'd have probably won the League Cup.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm gonna say it, if Malonga had still been at Hibs we'd have probably won the League Cup.

Would he have been on the line to stop their winner?

Andy74
09-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Would he have been on the line to stop their winner?

I doubt it.

Last time we played them, away in the cup, he did get a couple of goals though.

neil7908
09-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Malonga definitely offered us something different but our decline is down to much more than one player going. Similar things were said a few weeks ago about us missing Fyvie, Hanlon, McGeough etc but pretty clear that our current issues are much bigger than just missing a few days players

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2016, 10:40 PM
I doubt it.

Last time we played them, away in the cup, he did get a couple of goals though.

That's a fact. Saying that we would be winning more games if he was still here is conjecture. He now plays for another team. That's also a fact.

Cod Boy
10-04-2016, 12:26 AM
How things change most on this board thought Malonga was to lazy and not a team player.A few bad results and he is now missed and was a messiah get a grip.

kaimendhibs
10-04-2016, 12:41 AM
How things change most on this board thought Malonga was to lazy and not a team player.A few bad results and he is now missed and was a messiah get a grip.

I believe that is spot on! I also believe the earth is flat!!

Cod Boy
10-04-2016, 12:46 AM
I believe that is spot on! I also believe the earth is flat!!

problem being most folk were delighted that Malonga left and Stokes came in.

kaimendhibs
10-04-2016, 12:51 AM
problem

No problem other than disagree with your assessment of malonga. Worth 10 of dagnall for a start

kaimendhibs
10-04-2016, 12:51 AM

Not me

Cod Boy
10-04-2016, 12:56 AM
Not me

Ok so you weren't and are entitled to your opinion but if you were to ask most folk in January Stokes in Malonga to leave i would guess Stokes would be the choice.

fat freddy
10-04-2016, 01:06 AM
I also believe the earth is flat!!

You are not alone, there is a massive groundswell of popular opinion that share your view, the flat earth is slowly becoming a real issue. Barack Obama has made reference to the debate in three separate speeches in recent months. I looked into the subject and there are thousands of videos and documentaries on YouTube that support your view.

kaimendhibs
10-04-2016, 01:07 AM
You are not alone, there is a massive groundswell of popular opinion that share your view, the flat earth is slowly becoming a real issue. Barack Obama has made reference to the debate in three separate speeches in recent months. I looked into the subject and there are thousands of videos and documentaries on YouTube that support your view.

😂

jacomo
10-04-2016, 01:11 AM

You were, others weren't and cautioned that Malonga's contribution was being over looked. That was the real problem.

fat freddy
10-04-2016, 01:15 AM
😂

Look into it, you'll be surprised at how difficult it is to prove the curvature of earth, NASA say the curve is 8 inches for every mile which would mean buildings 50-60 miles away should be beneath the horizon, strangely they are not, Various rivers and canals such as The Suez and The Nile are completely flat for over 100 miles with no curve. It's quite an interesting topic, well worth researching given that hundreds of respected academics and scientists are putting their reputations and careers on the line by supporting the idea.

Cod Boy
10-04-2016, 01:19 AM
You were, others weren't and cautioned that Malonga's contribution was being over looked. That was the real problem.

Go back to the stokes coming in thread and most were happy for the change.

JohnM1875
10-04-2016, 03:36 AM

Never understood letting Malonga go personally. Let one of Hibs players go for a Celtic player on loan who had very, very little game time and a known nuisance in the dressing room. Maybe that's because I've always been a Maaonga fan and 100% appreciated what he offered us. Seems in recent weeks Stubb's has persisted on playing the same tactics we used when we had Malonga. Unfortunately now we have two tiny forwards. Letting King Dom leave was exactly when I started questioning Stubb's to be honest.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2016, 03:43 AM
Dom done a lot more than score goals. Willing to bet we have had less % possession since he left, created less clear cut chances, scored less goals and ultimately earned less points on average than we did when he was here. He was clearly a quality player who was important for the team and we should have fought harder to keep him.

That being said, the manager knew far more about Doms situation than me and maybe thought he had no choice but to let him go.

marinello59
10-04-2016, 07:23 AM

There were more than a few of us defending Malonga from the ridiculous criticism he was getting. He was the best forward we had at the club. He still would be.

staunchhibby
10-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Dont see the point in going on about Malonga.As far as i know he wanted away.He is not coming back.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Dont see the point in going on about Malonga.As far as i know he wanted away.He is not coming back.

That's where I am as well. If we had been winning it would have been **** him if he didn't want to stay but right now it seems convenient to claim that we more or less opened the door and told him to bolt. One thing for sure is that he won't be scoring any more goals for us this season.

hibsdaft
10-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Malonga has been a massive miss for us. His first touch and composure in and around the box were outstanding - unlike our current strikers.

I don't buy the idea that we couldn't have refused to sell him. He'd of moped for a few weeks but could have promised to sell him in summer.

I would admit to thinking Stokes would fill his boots, but everyone knows you don't sell top players in the Winter transfer window.

What's done is done, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that his departure has been part of the problem.

KeithTheHibby
10-04-2016, 08:49 AM

This. I don't understand the sympathy offered when someone allegedly wants away from a club.
Tough ****, you signed a contract, you honour it. FWIW I reckon Stubbs let him go. To let Anier leave too meant that we had 4 strikers who are all very similiar. Surely Stubbs must have known that?!

hibsbollah
10-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Malonga has been a massive miss for us. His first touch and composure in and around the box were outstanding - unlike our current strikers.

I don't buy the idea that we couldn't have refused to sell him. He'd of moped for a few weeks but could have promised to sell him in summer.

I would admit to thinking Stokes would fill his boots, but everyone knows you don't sell top players in the Winter transfer window.

What's done is done, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that his departure has been part of the problem.

Very true :agree:

Its also my opinion that Stokes has played well since he arrived, and I would have liked to see them both together; Malonga in the deeper role that Stokes is in at the moment and Stokes himself being the poacher.

Golden Bear
10-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Exactly.

KeithTheHibby
10-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Possibly yes, that would be the case however we are merely football fans, not managers.

This season Stubbs has essentially built a squad as opposed to a first 11 however letting 2 players leave who offer something different (Malonga and Anier) and replacing them with Stokes and Dagnall has not worked, simple as.
His persistence with playing this stupid diamond formation when he clearly doesn't have the personnel coupled with the fact that we have no width or pace is ultimately the reason we are in this position.

Andy74
10-04-2016, 08:58 AM

Malonga was still here then. Quite a few said it took the shine off when it transpired we were letting Malonga go. Stokes was a good addition but it should have been that. An addition.

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2016, 09:13 AM
There were more than a few of us defending Malonga from the ridiculous criticism he was getting. He was the best forward we had at the club. He still would be.

I backed him when the lazy criticism was being thrown about and he scored some decent goals (although only 6 this season in all competitions).

If he was the best forward at the club why was he on the bench so often?

hibsbollah
10-04-2016, 10:16 AM
I backed him when the lazy criticism was being thrown about and he scored some decent goals (although only 6 this season in all competitions).

He was part of Stubbs rotation, that's why. Boyle being on the bench yesterday after his MOTM performance and outstanding goal against Livvy just shows you how bizarre some of his picks are.

We all know Malongas game was far more than his goals. Operating deep, intelligent runs, bringing others into the game. And he scored plenty for us, prior to this season his goals to games ratio is about 1 in 3, comparable to Cummings. We have no plan b without him.

500miles
10-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Malonga is the kind of player you want when teams are playing so deep and compact. He really pulls them out of position and can take defenders out of the game.

However, by all accounts he wanted to go back home with his family. We've struggled to replace that influence

Andy74
10-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Malonga is the kind of player you want when teams are playing so deep and compact. He really pulls them out of position and can take defenders out of the game.

However, by all accounts he wanted to go back home with his family. We've struggled to replace that influence

Malonga said that he really struggled with the decision even until the night before the move.

So, he could easily have been asked to see out his six months without him making a big deal out of it.

This is purely a case of Stubbs being sure he had better. He didn't.

familyman
10-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Malonga definitely offered us something different but our decline is down to much more than one player going. Similar things were said a few weeks ago about us missing Fyvie, Hanlon, McGeough etc but pretty clear that our current issues are much bigger than just missing a few days players
Yes we move on re Maloga error by Stubbs.
The fact is the team shows no will to win from the first whistle and we NEVER get an explanation for that...Sadly I believe there are still problems in the behind the scenes set up..on the threshold of what I wonder..first and foremost as ever results matter, failure will not and should not be tolerated,there has been plenty of time and the past few games have shown us A S is not the finished article but he desreves at least 100% from the players he has selected whatever we think of that selection...or tactics...

LaMotta
10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Malonga said that he really struggled with the decision even until the night before the move.

So, he could easily have been asked to see out his six months without him making a big deal out of it.

This is purely a case of Stubbs being sure he had better. He didn't.

Indeed.

The warning signs were there when Stubbs picked Keatings instead of Malonga at Ibrox in December. Our best period of the game came after malonga came on near the end.

Malonga scored a peach against Raith in the cup in January. A week later he played ok but was taken off against Falkirk. The week after that Malonga was dropped to the bench with Dagnall starting. He didnt get on that day whilst Keatings did.

The win over St Mirren had some people brazenly claiming that Malonga wasnt needed, with Dagnall being bizarrely touted as a better option than Malonga, despite Dagnall having done nothing more than run about a lot.

We didnt see Malonga again after that, I wouldnt be surprised if he had a wee huff after that St Mirren game and seeing Dagnall and Keatings preferred to him must have been tough.

The Dagnall signing has just been bizaare.

jacomo
10-04-2016, 02:28 PM

Malonga was in poor form at the start of the season, possibly carrying a minor injury or out of sorts.

He then got a bit more game time but it appeared Stubbs and his team didn't fully trust him anymore.

staunchhibby
10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Do not see what dagnall brings to the team.Does not impress me any.

Pete
10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
What's the point in looking back and wallowing?

He wanted to go, he's gone and he's not coming back.

We're as well pining over Andy Goram.

jacomo
10-04-2016, 03:22 PM
What's the point in looking back and wallowing?

He wanted to go, he's gone and he's not coming back.

We're as well pining over Andy Goram.

Not really. Goram is old history. When we started this season, Malonga was under contract to us.

hibeerealist
10-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Indeed.

The warning signs were there when Stubbs picked Keatings instead of Malonga at Ibrox in December. Our best period of the game came after malonga came on near the end.

Malonga scored a peach against Raith in the cup in January. A week later he played ok but was taken off against Falkirk. The week after that Malonga was dropped to the bench with Dagnall starting. He didnt get on that day whilst Keatings did.

The win over St Mirren had some people brazenly claiming that Malonga wasnt needed, with Dagnall being bizarrely touted as a better option than Malonga, despite Dagnall having done nothing more than run about a lot.

We didnt see Malonga again after that, I wouldnt be surprised if he had a wee huff after that St Mirren game and seeing Dagnall and Keatings preferred to him must have been tough.

The Dagnall signing has just been bizaare.

Good points!

Pete
10-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Not really. Goram is old history. When we started this season, Malonga was under contract to us.

There is still as much chance of him coming back as Goram so again, what's the point?

Look forward, not back. :aok:

Andy74
10-04-2016, 04:29 PM
There is still as much chance of him coming back as Goram so again, what's the point?

Well there is a debate about Stubbs and why we are where we are now. This is a major decision he got wrong and might pay the price for.

Pretty Boy
10-04-2016, 05:05 PM

If I look forward to another year in the 2nd tier is it then acceptable to look back at losing one of out most talent players as a cause of it?

No one is really to blame for Malonga going if his heart was really set on leaving but results suggest it has had a big impact imo.