PDA

View Full Version : Another shares thread!

speedy_gonzales
09-04-2016, 09:47 AM
My certificate dropped through the letterbox this morning after the recent release of shares. I opted to buy £500 worth but the certificate is to the value of £250 (12500 x 2p shares). Now I'm well aware this is an emotional investment rather than financial but should I expect a second certificate or has there been an error made?

Argylehibby
09-04-2016, 09:56 AM
My certificate dropped through the letterbox this morning after the recent release of shares. I opted to buy £500 worth but the certificate is to the value of £250 (12500 x 2p shares). Now I'm well aware this is an emotional investment rather than financial but should I expect a second certificate or has there been an error made?

The 2p is the nominal value of a share and is not the "market value" which is the 4p figure. All shares in every company have a nominal value but the market price you pay for the shares will vary depending on the market conditions and the performance of the company. I suppose best described as an accounting issue.

No idea how to explain it better than that but if you think back to the financial crisis and news every night saying that the share prices were dropping like lead that was the market value, what you pay to buy the shares. Every certificate for those companies will have the nominal value on them but they don't send out new certificates every day when the share price goes up or down. No error has been made and your certificate does represent the £500 you "invested" in the company.

bookert
09-04-2016, 10:41 AM
My certificate came this am as well, made me feel quite proud to be part of it.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

The shares are worth 2p each, but Hibs are selling them at 4p ..... £200 gets you 5,000 shares etc. Its clear in all the blurb Hibs have issued mate.

speedy_gonzales
09-04-2016, 10:56 AM
The 2p is the nominal value of a share and is not the "market value" which is the 4p figure. All shares in every company have a nominal value but the market price you pay for the shares will vary depending on the market conditions and the performance of the company. I suppose best described as an accounting issue.

No idea how to explain it better than that but if you think back to the financial crisis and news every night saying that the share prices were dropping like lead that was the market value, what you pay to buy the shares. Every certificate for those companies will have the nominal value on them but they don't send out new certificates every day when the share price goes up or down. No error has been made and your certificate does represent the £500 you "invested" in the company.

Cheers, I was thrown by the nominal value, not an everyday thing for me buying shares but I couldn't recall seeing a nominal value on my few previous share certificates.

speedy_gonzales
09-04-2016, 10:58 AM
The shares are worth 2p each, but Hibs are selling them at 4p ..... £200 gets you 5,000 shares etc. Its clear in all the blurb Hibs have issued mate.
Again, cheers. I clearly didn't read the blurb that thoroughly but then again, I wasn't treating this like I would any other financial dealing.

NYHibby
09-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Just to point out to anyone else who stumbles across this thread, it is not really accurate to say that the shares are "worth" 2p. What they are worth has basically nothing to do with the 2p par value. If Hibs are willing to sell them at 4p and people are willing to buy them at 4p, then they are worth 4p.

Seveno
09-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Got my share certificate today. So pleased. :greengrin

simple
09-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Just to point out to anyone else who stumbles across this thread, it is not really accurate to say that the shares are "worth" 2p. What they are worth has basically nothing to do with the 2p par value. If Hibs are willing to sell them at 4p and people are willing to buy them at 4p, then they are worth 4p.

Exactly this, the par value has nothing to with how much there worth, a lot of companies of the LSE have a par value 25p, 50p etc, but trade at £££. I remember receiving lots of calls from rangers supporters on this very point, however all those shares are now worthless 😃

Eyrie
09-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Let's be honest - the shares are effectively worth nothing. Like HSL, a share purchase isn't an investment but a donation to Hibs which makes both a direct share purchase and HSL membership worth doing because our club benefits from the money.

I'd contrast that with Save Hearts In Trouble, where their DDs are being used to provide Budge with an eye-watering interest rate (think it's 7.0%) on the money that she has invested to purchase their club.

Big_Franck
09-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Anyone that wants to can buy a wee part of our club here (https://hibernianfc.sharein.com/invest).

The minimum purchase is £200 and with the fees that the third party that process the payment charge it comes to about £204.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Let's be honest - the shares are effectively worth nothing. Like HSL, a share purchase isn't an investment but a donation to Hibs which makes both a direct share purchase and HSL membership worth doing because our club benefits from the money.

I'd contrast that with Save Hearts In Trouble, where their DDs are being used to provide Budge with an eye-watering interest rate (think it's 7.0%) on the money that she has invested to purchase their club.

It's also providing them with a good team, to be fair.