PDA

View Full Version : Song for Martin Boyle to the tune of "Jimmy Jazz"

TheFamous1875
07-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Feel free to improve on this hasty and ill-advised attempt at lyricism (please do haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCSuFSauzU

He scores rakers, he's - Martin Boyle
He makes defenders - tire and toil
Oh, Stubbs, we're looking for - Martin Boyle.

With his pace and, with his width
He rips defenders and - crosses it in
Oh, Stubbs we're looking for - Martin Boyle.

Keith_M
07-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Feel free to improve on this hasty and ill-advised attempt at lyricism (please do haha)

Too many words for your average football fan

:greengrin

Roxyhibee
07-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Flawless album. And there aren't many even single albums in the flawless category, never mind double ones like London Calling.

Other consistently brilliant doubles - Physical Graffiti, Electric Ladyland, Blonde On Blonde, White Album...and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.!!

Anyway, back on thread - Jimmy Jazz;

Up to the bench walked - Alan Stubbs,
He said, "this diamond sucks, needs a super sub,
Oh I'm looking for... Martin Boyle, Boyle, Boyle, Boyle..."

Niffy
07-04-2016, 12:16 PM

You've ruined a good Clash song :/

Iggy Pope
07-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Flawless album. And there aren't many even single albums in the flawless category, never mind double ones like London Calling.

Other consistently brilliant doubles - Physical Graffiti, Electric Ladyland, Blonde On Blonde, White Album...and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.!!

Anyway, back on thread - Jimmy Jazz;

Up to the bench walked - Alan Stubbs,
He said, "this diamond sucks, needs a super sub,
Oh I'm looking for... Martin Boyle, Boyle, Boyle, Boyle..."

The first Clash album is flawless but it's doubtful you'll get a Hibs chant out of it. "Hibs Riot, a riot of my own", isn't beyond bounds though.
Give Em Enough Rope could've made a good EP.
London Calling was an overblown step too far - full of filler and an unwise step in the same direction as the corporate cock rock you go on to mention.

No Elvis, Beatles or The Rolling Stones in 1977! And Strummer was a Gooner.....

Eyrie
07-04-2016, 08:38 PM
The first Clash album is flawless but it's doubtful you'll get a Hibs chant out of it. "Hibs Riot, a riot of my own", isn't beyond bounds though.
London Calling was an overblown step too far - full of filler and an unwise step in the same direction as the corporate cock rock you go on to mention.

First two albums were excellent but I'd agree about London Calling being mixed.

I notice you left out the sprawling disappointment of Sandinista!

Iggy Pope
07-04-2016, 08:59 PM

Not to mention Combat Rock and Cut The Crap! Didn't stop me buying all of them. And I got my London Calling sleeve signed by all 4 of them in their dressing room at the Odeon - an after show that made it on to BBC Nationwide! :greengrin

marinello59
07-04-2016, 09:12 PM

London Calling has long been my favourite album. I love Sandinista as well. I can even forgive them for the 'experimental' final few tracks.

Green Reaper
07-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Not to mention Combat Rock and Cut The Crap! Didn't stop me buying all of them. And I got my London Calling sleeve signed by all 4 of them in their dressing room at the Odeon - an after show that made it on to BBC Nationwide! :greengrin

Still the best gig I have ever been to, got my ticket signed by them in a record shop in the afternoon as well although cannot remember the name of it ...old age 😀

Hiber-nation
07-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Still the best gig I have ever been to, got my ticket signed by them in a record shop in the afternoon as well although cannot remember the name of it ...old age 

If that was the gig on a miserable Tuesday in November 78 then it's the best gig I've ever been to as well.

Stevie, you must have been a slip of a lad then :greengrin

Keith_M
08-04-2016, 09:11 AM
As this thread is now populated with fellow sad old man harking back to the long lost days of our youth.....

Does anyone remember the name of the record shop in Cockburn St in the 70s/80s, on the corner next to the steps down to Waverley (Fleshmarket Close)?

I spent many a Saturday there in my high school days in the early 80s, browsing the 45s... and getting thrown out because I very rarely had any money to actually buy one of the bl**dy things

Iggy Pope
08-04-2016, 09:59 AM
As this thread is now populated with fellow sad old man harking back to the long lost days of our youth.....

Does anyone remember the name of the record shop in Cockburn St in the 70s/80s, on the corner next to the steps down to Waverley (Fleshmarket Close)?

I spent many a Saturday there in my high school days in the early 80s, browsing the 45s... and getting thrown out because I very rarely had any money to actually buy one of the bl**dy things

Hot Licks.... Run by hippies as I recall!

Iggy Pope
08-04-2016, 10:01 AM
If that was the gig on a miserable Tuesday in November 78 then it's the best gig I've ever been to as well.

Stevie, you must have been a slip of a lad then :greengrin

I think that was the Sort It Out tour. This one was the next tour. 16 Tons. Dec 79 / Jan 80.
And you're right. 16 and full of it.

Beefster
08-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I'll continue to just scream "I love you, Squirrel" like a nine year old at 1D's farewell gig.

Keith_M
08-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Hot Licks.... Run by hippies as I recall!

Cheers Iggy

:aok:

mmmmhibby
08-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Eh!!!!

Roxyhibee
08-04-2016, 02:56 PM

Behave yourself man.! London Calling was a brilliant expansive album of its time, which never sounds tired even now, showing the real talents of The Clash. It's the music they clearly wanted to play as opposed to the juvenile, naive (although fantastic) first Clash album. If they'd kept that first album format, they would have become a complete parody of themselves, just as if Bowie had kept doing a Ziggy, Dylan had never swapped his ridiculous folk cap (which he hated anyway) for an electric guitar, Iggy had kept trying to do a Raw Power, The Beatles had kept doing syrupy pop..

Preserve us from replicating the same narrow old reheated format, even if it was brilliant first time round..

And just like our current Hibs situation and in a desperate but tenuous attempt to get back on a Martin Boyle thread and the change he brought to our game on Tuesday - playing and style becomes predictably stale, people get switched off, rivals know your next move and you never reach the top level - change is a constant to achieve greatness.

Edinburgh record stores in the 70's - Phoenix in The Royal Mile, The Other Record Shop in St Mary's Street, Deja Vu in Lauriston Place (tiny place..), Greyfriars in Oddfellows Hall (sure it was the biggest record place in Europe - used to have its own advertisement in the NME back then)

Hiber-nation
08-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Behave yourself man.! London Calling was a brilliant expansive album of its time, which never sounds tired even now, showing the real talents of The Clash. It's the music they clearly wanted to play as opposed to the juvenile, naive (although fantastic) first Clash album. If they'd kept that first album format, they would have become a complete parody of themselves, just as if Bowie had kept doing a Ziggy, Dylan had never swapped his ridiculous folk cap (which he hated anyway) for an electric guitar, Iggy had kept trying to do a Raw Power, The Beatles had kept doing syrupy pop..

Preserve us from replicating the same narrow old reheated format, even if it was brilliant first time round..

And just like our current Hibs situation and in a desperate but tenuous attempt to get back on a Martin Boyle thread and the change he brought to our game on Tuesday - playing and style becomes predictably stale, people get switched off, rivals know your next move and you never reach the top level - change is a constant to achieve greatness.

Edinburgh record stores in the 70's - Phoenix in The Royal Mile, The Other Record Shop in St Mary's Street, Deja Vu in Lauriston Place (tiny place..), Greyfriars in Oddfellows Hall (sure it was the biggest record place in Europe - used to have its own advertisement in the NME back then)

Ach it's all about opinions.....London Calling was my favorite album of all time for years. Can't listen to it now, probably played to death.

I forgot about Deja Vu! Memories....

StevieT
08-04-2016, 04:17 PM
As a side issue, my mates play in a Clash tribute band called Combat Rock. Here they are with Jimmy Jazz.

https://vimeo.com/18762919

Roxyhibee
08-04-2016, 04:49 PM
As a side issue, my mates play in a Clash tribute band called Combat Rock. Here they are with Jimmy Jazz.

https://vimeo.com/18762919

Theyre excellent. Capture the ramshackle impro feel of the original song..

Iggy Pope
08-04-2016, 06:18 PM

I was there friend, I fought those wars. The Clash should never have made a 3rd Album. They had already achieved greatness. Give me juvenile and naive over the next twelve sides of vinyl they produced.
Also add Asylum at Tollcross. Bought the first Crass LP there. They should have called it a day then as well.

Iggy Pope
08-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Theyre excellent. Capture the ramshackle impro feel of the original song..

They are good. A parody, but they're good :greengrin

maturehibby
08-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Why dont we change Ivans song as Martin Boyle fits in with he's here he's there every (Where) Martin Boyle vice Ivan Sproull
Simples :thumbsup:

wookie70
08-04-2016, 11:01 PM
Hot Licks gets a mention on this page (http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page28.htm) Many a great Saturday afternoon when Hibs weren't playing looking through the second hand records hoping to find a rare disc. Only saw The Clash at the Playhouse when they had a Snake Charmer as a support Act Not many times back then when the act came on and the crowd moved backwards.

fat freddy
09-04-2016, 01:00 AM
I was there friend, I fought those wars. The Clash should never have made a 3rd Album. They had already achieved greatness. Give me juvenile and naive over the next twelve sides of vinyl they produced.
Also add Asylum at Tollcross. Bought the first Crass LP there. They should have called it a day then as well.
In your strange world view every band appears to be required to pack it in after an album or two, just when they are learning to craft songs with more than a couple of chords that follow the verse chorus verse chorus method. If The Clash were to have retired after Give em enough Rope the world would be denied the magnificent 7, a song which, in a perfect world, would be played as the teams emerge for every Derby at Easter Road. The Clash were learning their trade with the first two albums, their greatness came with the next three in my opinion. As for Crass packing it in after Feeding of the five thousand? have you taken leave of your senses man? Stations of the Crass, ***** Envy and Christ are epic. The fact that these albums still sell and inspire people 30 years after their release speaks volumes. Kids who weren't born when these records were released are still getting into Crass because their records meant something. It wasn't just about music, it was about change. I don't post much on here but your posts have bugged me tonight Iggy Pop. Named after a multi millionaire who advertises insurance for the man, aye Barry mate.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2016, 08:37 AM
In your strange world view every band appears to be required to pack it in after an album or two, just when they are learning to craft songs with more than a couple of chords that follow the verse chorus verse chorus method. If The Clash were to have retired after Give em enough Rope the world would be denied the magnificent 7, a song which, in a perfect world, would be played as the teams emerge for every Derby at Easter Road. The Clash were learning their trade with the first two albums, their greatness came with the next three in my opinion. As for Crass packing it in after Feeding of the five thousand? have you taken leave of your senses man? Stations of the Crass, ***** Envy and Christ are epic. The fact that these albums still sell and inspire people 30 years after their release speaks volumes. Kids who weren't born when these records were released are still getting into Crass because their records meant something. It wasn't just about music, it was about change. I don't post much on here but your posts have bugged me tonight Iggy Pop. Named after a multi millionaire who advertises insurance for the man, aye Barry mate.

It's Iggy POPE. POPE. It's a pun. The avatar is a giveaway. That's the first point you've missed while we've all inadvertently turned this into a punk rock debate, a scene I've followed for 38 years and still do. I can't see a couple of musos on Hibs.net changing my mind when Strummer and Jones could not. And neither could Steve Ignorant when he sold out two years ago leaving the rest of Crass behind.
Maybe if Roxyhibee had been named Bannedfromtheroxyhibee I could've given it more cred.

Oi! Oi!

Keith_M
09-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Hot Licks gets a mention on this page (http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page28.htm) Many a great Saturday afternoon when Hibs weren't playing looking through the second hand records hoping to find a rare disc. Only saw The Clash at the Playhouse when they had a Snake Charmer as a support Act Not many times back then when the act came on and the crowd moved backwards.

I would often to go on the way to ER, if Hibs were at home, or before catching a supporters bus to away games. It was a regular part of my Saturday routine

StevieT
09-04-2016, 10:06 AM

I was at that his too. No idea how support acts were chosen. I even remember The Flying Pickets supporting The Stranglers. Didn't go down too well.

fat freddy
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM
It's Iggy POPE. POPE. It's a pun. The avatar is a giveaway. That's the first point you've missed while we've all inadvertently turned this into a punk rock debate, a scene I've followed for 38 years and still do. I can't see a couple of musos on Hibs.net changing my mind when Strummer and Jones could not. And neither could Steve Ignorant when he sold out two years ago leaving the rest of Crass behind.
Maybe if Roxyhibee had been named Bannedfromtheroxyhibee I could've given it more cred.

Oi! Oi!
I can't see your avatar on my phone so I don't get the pun, I just thought you were paying homage to Iggy in a biblical sense. Regardless of that and your 38 years of listening to punk bands, it still seems a bit restrictive to expect these guys to refrain from progressing as songwriters and musicians for fear of being cast as sell outs, it's far too easy to throw that old chestnut at punk bands that continue to make music long after their initial success. I wonder if you would call Charlie Harper a sell out for leaving a few old Subs collaborators behind in his quest to make 26 albums in alphabetic order or Mark E Smith for constantly changing line ups and making occasionally brilliant and occasionally awful records? is Wattie a sell out for having numerous line up changes and going a bit metal over the years, I know he wouldn't have put up with Big John doing all the solos he now has in his songs but people change, music changes, tastes change. That's what punk was about. Change. The Clash changed with every album and the songs became more inventive and challenging, those that put down Sandinista missed the point, The Clash were experimenting and trying new styles, it was too challenging for many in the punk movement as it was so far removed from the three chord thrash of their first album, great as it was. As for Ignorant selling out? Again, it's an accusation he has had thrown at him many times over the last few years. For what reason? Playing his old songs with a new line up? Seems a bit harsh in my view, I saw them at the liquid rooms a couple of years ago and it was a cracking gig, nice to hear the old classics being played live again, what can be so wrong in that? Surely as an old punk you have other targets to aim for, perhaps your ire should be directed at the bankers, the politicians with off shore accounts, the illuminati Freemasons that are preparing us for a new world order? Leave the dudes who brought us a degree of enlightenment in the dark days of the seventies and eighties to do whatever they want, they earned the right.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2016, 11:15 AM
I can't see your avatar on my phone so I don't get the pun, I just thought you were paying homage to Iggy in a biblical sense. Regardless of that and your 38 years of listening to punk bands, it still seems a bit restrictive to expect these guys to refrain from progressing as songwriters and musicians for fear of being cast as sell outs, it's far too easy to throw that old chestnut at punk bands that continue to make music long after their initial success. I wonder if you would call Charlie Harper a sell out for leaving a few old Subs collaborators behind in his quest to make 26 albums in alphabetic order or Mark E Smith for constantly changing line ups and making occasionally brilliant and occasionally awful records? is Wattie a sell out for having numerous line up changes and going a bit metal over the years, I know he wouldn't have put up with Big John doing all the solos he now has in his songs but people change, music changes, tastes change. That's what punk was about. Change. The Clash changed with every album and the songs became more inventive and challenging, those that put down Sandinista missed the point, The Clash were experimenting and trying new styles, it was too challenging for many in the punk movement as it was so far removed from the three chord thrash of their first album, great as it was. As for Ignorant selling out? Again, it's an accusation he has had thrown at him many times over the last few years. For what reason? Playing his old songs with a new line up? Seems a bit harsh in my view, I saw them at the liquid rooms a couple of years ago and it was a cracking gig, nice to hear the old classics being played live again, what can be so wrong in that? Surely as an old punk you have other targets to aim for, perhaps your ire should be directed at the bankers, the politicians with off shore accounts, the illuminati Freemasons that are preparing us for a new world order? Leave the dudes who brought us a degree of enlightenment in the dark days of the seventies and eighties to do whatever they want, they earned the right.

Far, far too heavy. Throwing my opinions around on Bankers, Politicos and worst of all Freemasons surely ain't for these pages. As for paying homage in a biblical sense, what have we stumbled on? My username is a gag. A funny. Like the things sort of thing you used to get in that hippy trippy Fat Freddy comic book, but not as cerebral.

Roxyhibee gave his opinion on London Calling, I responded. Harshly one or two might think, but punk never spared anyone's feelings. There was no ire though. I never raged. I smiled. Yours is an over reaction there friend.
The Clash changed the world with 'The Clash' but what followed changed nothing except their income, their habits and their egos. Three albums, experimental or not, packed with filler. What was it, Rolling Stone made it? The album of the decade? Or was it the millennium? **** that.

My initial comment on Crass was a throwaway one and I didn't expect it to be analysed like this. I loved them from the start. The Feeding of the 5000 was hot off the press when I bought it in Asylum, (as I referenced) and my record collection would show you that. A bootleg tape of a live gig in Aberdare is one of the most aggressive works I own.

I have an opinion on the Clash (a group of people I worshipped by the way, and not in any biblical sense either) and lots of others including The Exploited (!). Which, trust me if you can, I've earned and earned through activity.

And less of the old.

For now though, Alloa beckons.

Stay free.
Iggy Pope. With an E.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2016, 11:18 AM
I was at that his too. No idea how support acts were chosen. I even remember The Flying Pickets supporting The Stranglers. Didn't go down too well.

On the subject of that 16 Tons tour I spoke about, Mikey Dread supporting The Clash didn't go down well with the natives either. Or Metropak or Josef K, but my they were good.

fat freddy
09-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Far, far too heavy. Throwing my opinions around on Bankers, Politicos and worst of all Freemasons surely ain't for these pages. As for paying homage in a biblical sense, what have we stumbled on? My username is a gag. A funny. Like the things sort of thing you used to get in that hippy trippy Fat Freddy comic book, but not as cerebral.

Roxyhibee gave his opinion on London Calling, I responded. Harshly one or two might think, but punk never spared anyone's feelings. There was no ire though. I never raged. I smiled. Yours is an over reaction there friend.
The Clash changed the world with 'The Clash' but what followed changed nothing except their income, their habits and their egos. Three albums, experimental or not, packed with filler. What was it, Rolling Stone made it? The album of the decade? Or was it the millennium? **** that.

My initial comment on Crass was a throwaway one and I didn't expect it to be analysed like this. I loved them from the start. The Feeding of the 5000 was hot off the press when I bought it in Asylum, (as I referenced) and my record collection would show you that. A bootleg tape of a live gig in Aberdare is one of the most aggressive works I own.

I have an opinion on the Clash (a group of people I worshipped by the way, and not in any biblical sense either) and lots of others including The Exploited (!). Which, trust me if you can, I've earned and earned through activity.

And less of the old.

For now though, Alloa beckons.

Stay free.
Iggy Pope. With an E.
Fair enough, I'm sure we have plenty of common shared experiences, I just had to defend those that provided the soundtrack to my life...I'll buy you a pint at the upcoming UK Subs, Steve Ignorant, Chelsea and PIL gigs, I'm sure you'll be at least one if those, just wear an Iggy Pop t shirt and I'll know it's you. I'll be the only guy with a Crass one

Roxyhibee
09-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Sandinista is still a great album to listen to - those first 4 sides are more diverse than any album I've ever heard from any artists. It is basically a brilliant musical scape of those 4 guys lives growing up and the influences that made them what they were. It took real bottle to do that album and if you don't like sides 5 and 6 with all its experimental dub, it doesn't matter - they demanded it be priced as a single album. Now I don't know if that's 'punk' enough but what it says is that Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper pandered to absolutely no ones expectation when making that album and put music and it's accessibility to all, before anything else.

Changing from the Clash topic just now and with you mentioning all those bands in their very early days - I saw them all and they were great gigs. Unlike now, there were so many different venues - the Fall at The Astoria, Exploited at Clouds, etc

But the one that sticks in my mind was seeing the Angelic Upstarts in a room somewhere in Chamber Street - wasn't the normal students union hall down there, just some smallish random room with tables stacked to the sides. Good gig but it was menacing with absolutely no security (kid you not). Me and my mates just loved the music and the change that was in the air then and didn't feel the need to conform to dress like the 'punk masses' - just usually jeans, trainers and maybe a Stand Down Margaret tshirt on and standard haircuts. We stood out like a sore thumb and we started drawing attention by our 'normal' look, even from Mensforth we were sure - and got out of there at the encore just as a blood soaked pigs head was being kicked around the makeshift stage.! Great days...

Iggy Pope
09-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Fair enough, I'm sure we have plenty of common shared experiences, I just had to defend those that provided the soundtrack to my life...I'll buy you a pint at the upcoming UK Subs, Steve Ignorant, Chelsea and PIL gigs, I'm sure you'll be at least one if those, just wear an Iggy Pop t shirt and I'll know it's you. I'll be the only guy with a Crass one

I can take or leave Iggy Pop and certainly don't own his face on a shirt. And I might take you up on it at the UK Subs.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Sandinista is still a great album to listen to - those first 4 sides are more diverse than any album I've ever heard from any artists. It is basically a brilliant musical scape of those 4 guys lives growing up and the influences that made them what they were. It took real bottle to do that album and if you don't like sides 5 and 6 with all its experimental dub, it doesn't matter - they demanded it be priced as a single album. Now I don't know if that's 'punk' enough but what it says is that Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper pandered to absolutely no ones expectation when making that album and put music and it's accessibility to all, before anything else.

Changing from the Clash topic just now and with you mentioning all those bands in their very early days - I saw them all and they were great gigs. Unlike now, there were so many different venues - the Fall at The Astoria, Exploited at Clouds, etc

But the one that sticks in my mind was seeing the Angelic Upstarts in a room somewhere in Chamber Street - wasn't the normal students union hall down there, just some smallish random room with tables stacked to the sides. Good gig but it was menacing with absolutely no security (kid you not). Me and my mates just loved the music and the change that was in the air then and didn't feel the need to conform to dress like the 'punk masses' - just usually jeans, trainers and maybe a Stand Down Margaret tshirt on and standard haircuts. We stood out like a sore thumb and we started drawing attention by our 'normal' look, even from Mensforth we were sure - and got out of there at the encore just as a blood soaked pigs head was being kicked around the makeshift stage.! Great days...

Mensi was a thug, no question! I think he had to be in light of his stance against the Skrewdriver boneheaded!
The Astoria. I lived on Easter Road and it was the easiest gig for me to get to (not always as easy to get in mind).
The Nite Club above the Playhouse was a smash as well. I remember leaving a Hibs Open Day to go straight there to see The Damned play a Sunday matinee!

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2016, 11:35 AM

Way too cool and original to catch on. Why not just take riffs from crap ballads sang by fans in England and adapt them to our own players? Has nobody ever thought of that?

Roxyhibee
09-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Mensi was a thug, no question! I think he had to be in light of his stance against the Skrewdriver boneheaded!
The Astoria. I lived on Easter Road and it was the easiest gig for me to get to (not always as easy to get in mind).
The Nite Club above the Playhouse was a smash as well. I remember leaving a Hibs Open Day to go straight there to see The Damned play a Sunday matinee!

Man, that's a gig - a Damned Sunday matinee..?

Spot on. In fact I think as he was kicking the thing around the stage and definitely looking at us as an 'outlet', it was his behaviour more than anything else which made us think 'we're not fitting in here' - and since not one of us could knock snaw off a dyke, we got out of there sharpish.!

Yes, the Nite Club was brilliant - saw Dillinger (but not Leroy Smart or Delroy Wilson.!) up there - and they also did some great regular reggae nights.

Calton Studios, Leith Town Hall, loads of student union rooms in the city, - there were gigs on all the time in so many different places. Was a great time to be a music loving teenager..

fat freddy
09-04-2016, 12:57 PM

Spot on. In fact I think as he was kicking the thing around the stage and definitely looking at us as an 'outlet', it was his behaviour more than anything else which made us think 'we're not fitting in here' - and since not one of us could knock snaw off a dyke, we got out of there sharpish.!

Yes, the Nite Club was brilliant - saw Dillinger (but not Leroy Smart or Delroy Wilson.!) up there - and they also did some great regular reggae nights.

Calton Studios, Leith Town Hall, loads of student union rooms in the city, - there were gigs on all the time in so many different places. Was a great time to be a music loving teenager..

Also remember The Abercorn at Piershill putting on regular gigs, saw The Accidents, Exploited and a few others there, The Netherbow in The Royal Mile put on a few shows as well, saw a mad band called Snakebite( I think) there and that Edinburgh band that had a track on the EP mint sauce for the masses as well, can't remember their name, they done a cover of Vertigo on the EP. Eric Browns On Dalry Road put on a few shows too, also seen Gin Goblins at a hundred obscure pubs/ venues around town. The best gigs were always in wee clubs and pubs, I've just remembered Crass at Carnegie Park in Dunfermline and Poison Girls/ Crass at Lasswade High School ( Vi Subversa died last month aged 100. RIP) What a wonderfully weird venue! Also seen Black Flag( not the American version) at a community centre in Pathead around 1981, a decent punk band with The Proclaimers on Bass and Guitar and a well kent face, Dean, providing Johnny Rotten moves, a mad gig where the Edinburgh crew got it tight all night off the local rednecks...I used to put on gigs at a wee pub in West Port, The Globe, any band that handed a cassette in got to play, no questions asked, £40 quid and a pint each in payment if you brought 10 mates. My sister ran the Cas Rock for years putting on all sorts, The Subs, 999, etc, all the old stalwarts playing for a few hundred quid and a pint. Edinburgh has a rich history within the punk movement despite our lack of obvious venues, it's the people that make it and you can still see 4 bands for a tenner if you pop down to Bannermans on any given Saturday.

Roxyhibee
09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Also remember The Abercorn at Piershill putting on regular gigs, saw The Accidents, Exploited and a few others there, The Netherbow in The Royal Mile put on a few shows as well, saw a mad band called Snakebite( I think) there and that Edinburgh band that had a track on the EP mint sauce for the masses as well, can't remember their name, they done a cover of Vertigo on the EP. Eric Browns On Dalry Road put on a few shows too, also seen Gin Goblins at a hundred obscure pubs/ venues around town. The best gigs were always in wee clubs and pubs, I've just remembered Crass at Carnegie Park in Dunfermline and Poison Girls/ Crass at Lasswade High School ( Vi Subversa died last month aged 100. RIP) What a wonderfully weird venue! Also seen Black Flag( not the American version) at a community centre in Pathead around 1981, a decent punk band with The Proclaimers on Bass and Guitar and a well kent face, Dean, providing Johnny Rotten moves, a mad gig where the Edinburgh crew got it tight all night off the local rednecks...I used to put on gigs at a wee pub in West Port, The Globe, any band that handed a cassette in got to play, no questions asked, £40 quid and a pint each in payment if you brought 10 mates. My sister ran the Cas Rock for years putting on all sorts, The Subs, 999, etc, all the old stalwarts playing for a few hundred quid and a pint. Edinburgh has a rich history within the punk movement despite our lack of obvious venues, it's the people that make it and you can still see 4 bands for a tenner if you pop down to Bannermans on any given Saturday.

Absolutely brilliant read. Thanks for that post.!

GGTTH.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2016, 01:59 PM

Twisted Nerve. A brilliant version it is too. Norbert Bassbin was a good Hibby too. Or used to be.

Add the Tap to the list. Never really replaced.

This is making me feel better after yesterdays debacle. I actually sat through some of the 90mins thinking about this thread!

Iggy Pope
10-04-2016, 02:11 PM

I just read a book on the White Supremacist movement within the punk scene. Or 'Rock Against Communism' 'Blood and Honour' ad nauseam.
It's not exactly a balanced read and I didn't feel clean for a while afterwards, but Mensi features large in his fight against them, particularly his long-running feud with Ian Stuart (Skrewdriver). The Nazis widely believed the Upstarts to have switched codes but as far as I can recall they were always vociferously anti-state / AFA / ANL, even with their prominent skin following.. I saw them once or twice but most recently (late 90s or early 00s) at the Wheatsheaf (!) headlining one of the Capital City of Punk fests and the man hadn't mellowed a bit. I followed him on Facebook for a while and he is a case! And Leicester just went one up at Sunderland and that won't please him a bit.

fat freddy
10-04-2016, 09:54 PM
The Upstarts were playing Edinburgh just a few weeks ago supporting Sham 69, Mensi wasn't on the best of form according to a mate who was there, he said he was going through the motions. Pursey, on the other hand, got full marks for a great show..... Yip, Twisted Nerve were the band I was thinking of, they're still playing I think, or they were a few years ago when I saw them in the scooter tent at the wickerman festival, they were pretty good too. Yes also to The Tap, another wee gem, I may as well throw in The Jailhouse, Brandos, The Yellow Carvel and The Southern ( where Nirvana famously done an acoustic set prior to supporting TAD at The Calton Studios