PDA

View Full Version : Question Tactics and Team..you decide

Torto7062
06-04-2016, 01:40 AM
This isn't a pop at Stubbs thread...

Clearly tonight we struggled with Farid,Cummings and Stokes on the pitch at the same time and improved massively when Farid went off..but it got me thinking...
What formation/tactics should we play?
Livingston played a 5-4-1 for most of the game and made it tough for us but I felt once Keatings and Boyle came on we were more energetic and determined to try and do things faster going forward....
So the question is.....

What Formation and team would you pick ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dmc1875
06-04-2016, 01:56 AM
This isn't a pop at Stubbs thread...

Clearly tonight we struggled with Farid,Cummings and Stokes on the pitch at the same time and improved massively when Farid went off..but it got me thinking...
What formation/tactics should we play?
Livingston played a 5-4-1 for most of the game and made it tough for us but I felt once Keatings and Boyle came on we were more energetic and determined to try and do things faster going forward....
So the question is.....

What Formation and team would you pick ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We are an obvious team and every other team in the league now knows how we play. Lack of width, lack of pace and our full backs have become incredibly poor over the last few weeks.

We need to change it up, and play with more width. Boyle right and Carmichael left if he's fit?

Torto7062
06-04-2016, 07:38 AM
We are an obvious team and every other team in the league now knows how we play. Lack of width, lack of pace and our full backs have become incredibly poor over the last few weeks.

We need to change it up, and play with more width. Boyle right and Carmichael left if he's fit?

So what would your team and formation be then mate ?

Dublin07
06-04-2016, 08:29 AM
I would go for 4-3-3 similar to what the rangers play with the full backs pushing on. My team would be
Oxley
gray mcgregor hanlon stevenson
fyvie
henderson mcginn

boyle stokes cummings

Boyle and cumming s would provide the pace we have lacked in wide areas. this drags defenders out of position and would allow stokes to score goals from the centre.

Smartie
06-04-2016, 08:37 AM
TBH I'd never have considered an old-fashioned and basic flat 442 but I thought it worked really well last night when Stubbs changed it for the last 20 minutes.

Gray looked a different player when he had Boyle out there with him, Gray went from being totally ineffectual to being a real threat from deeper positions.

Do we always have to have a "sitting" midfielder? McGinn and Henderson looked like they were able to get about the park enough.

My main argument against it would be that we don't have a left-winger but I thought that Keatings did well out there last night. Just tell him to hit the by-line time after time.

We probably wouldn't get caught out on the break so much as there is less onus on our fullbacks to get forward.

As long as there is no diamond to be seen then I'll be pretty happy.

Boyle HAS to play. He has pace, he'll be brimming with confidence after his goal and is probably our most under-appreciated player.

SJM
06-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Keeper

Hanlon Mcgregor Fontaine

Henderson Bartley Fyvie McGinn Boyle

Stokes Cummings

GreenOnions
06-04-2016, 08:44 AM
I would go for 4-3-3 similar to what the rangers play with the full backs pushing on. My team would be
Oxley
gray mcgregor hanlon stevenson
fyvie
henderson mcginn

boyle stokes cummings

Boyle and cumming s would provide the pace we have lacked in wide areas. this drags defenders out of position and would allow stokes to score goals from the centre.

I don't know whether or not Fyvie is fully fit but, for the moment whilst McGeouch is unable to play - and against anyone but TRFC, I like this team.

The addition of Boyle at the expense of a holding midfielder just gives that extra bit of pace and movement that is required against teams that will sit in.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Keeper

Hanlon Mcgregor Fontaine

Henderson Bartley Fyvie McGinn Boyle

Stokes Cummings

Maybe McGinn on the left?

Keeper's name is Oxley btw. :wink:

GreenCastle
06-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Option 1

3-5-2

Gunarsson McGregor Hanlon

Boyle / DG Thompson /Bartley Stevenson

McGinn Henderson

Stokes Cummings

Option 2

Flat 4-4-2

Gray - McGregor / Hanlon - Stevenson

Boyle Henderson McGinn ??

Stokes and Cummings

Fyfie on bench last night - Carmichael still injured ?

We need a left sided winger in summer and competition for left back.

SJM
06-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Maybe McGinn on the left?

Keeper's name is Oxley btw. :wink:

Hendersons a better crosser and works just as hard for me mate. Granted he would have to cut back to cross.

If it was the next match I would really like to bed in the keeper playing in the Semi, but yes, Ox is our number one and hopefully for the rest of the season he pushes on and shows he can preform at the higher level we all pray we will be.

NAE NOOKIE
06-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Hendersons a better crosser and works just as hard for me mate. Granted he would have to cut back to cross.

If it was the next match I would really like to bed in the keeper playing in the Semi, but yes, Ox is our number one and hopefully for the rest of the season he pushes on and shows he can preform at the higher level we all pray we will be.

The closer the semi gets the more I'm convinced that keeper is going to be Conrad Logan ..... neither him nor Virtanen have played behind that back 4 at all this season and I think as a result Stubbs will go for Logan's vast experience.

duffers
06-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Oxley

Gunnarson Mcgregor Hanlon

Gray Thomson Stevenson

Henderson McGinn

Stokes Cummings

500miles
06-04-2016, 11:29 AM
We'll make changes to avoid picking up fatigue based injuries, and that's all we should do. We were totally superior for the full 90 last night, and the stats reflect that.

If I were to make a change, I'd put Keatings up front with Stokes from the start, and let Cummings come off the bench with Boyle to terrorise tired defenders. Fyvie may be worth a start ahead of Thomson, as KT can't be expected to play 3 games in a week, and I'd rather get Fyvie ready for the semi.

Torto7062
07-04-2016, 11:47 AM
For me I would have

Oxley
Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson
Fyvie Henderson Mcgeough
McGinn
Keatings Stokes

Subs
Cummings
Thomson
McGregor
Boyle
Logan

For me McGinn would be free to roam about and receive passes from the other three and we would have two up top who will play as a team player..

And nae tippy tappy stuff either....get it moving about fast and forward

TheFamous1875
07-04-2016, 11:51 AM
NAE DIAMONDS. I'd get rid of Shirley Bassey fae the get-go. Forever, my arse.

PiemanP
07-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Too many centre mids being shoe horned into a formation. We need width. Don't like saying it but Hearts and Rangers have got out this league due to having effective wide players stretching teams.

greenpaper55
07-04-2016, 12:55 PM
The one element that's missing for me is a target man to hold up the ball and bring others into play and win us the odd free kick, that's not to say i want to play hoofball but if it's good enough for the likes of PSG and Arsenal then it's good enough for me. Many teams press high up the park and force us to clear the ball upfield but due to the fact we have no one of the likes of Mixu or any other you care to name then the ball just comes straight back inviting even more pressure, for me it defies logic not to have that option available.

Smartie
07-04-2016, 02:56 PM
The one element that's missing for me is a target man to hold up the ball and bring others into play and win us the odd free kick, that's not to say i want to play hoofball but if it's good enough for the likes of PSG and Arsenal then it's good enough for me. Many teams press high up the park and force us to clear the ball upfield but due to the fact we have no one of the likes of Mixu or any other you care to name then the ball just comes straight back inviting even more pressure, for me it defies logic not to have that option available.

I think Farid was meant to be that option. To be fair to Farid he's looked bloody good at that during brief glimpses but his injuries have really cost him and us.

I'd be astonished if our manager doesn't address the situation in the summer. We've come up against a few big, awkward strikers over the years and when we've had good ones ourselves in the past (Mixu, O'Connor, Killen) they've really added to our game.

I think one of the main criticisms that could be levelled at Stubbs is that we have too many similar strikers - Cummings, Keatings and Stokes all play the poacher/goalscorer role. We could have probably have done better as a team with a different type of player, even if they weren't as good as those 3.

JimBHibees
07-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Personally think it would make complete sense to play the goalie who will play in the semi final on Saturday v Alloa. A bit of game experience in the team he will be playing in next week.

Springbank
07-04-2016, 04:46 PM
If you look at what Lauren blanc, Zinedine Zidane and even mark Warburton talked about this week it comes down to one thing:

Greater intensity

All good teams have it, winning managers insist on it, thrive on it.

We had it at tynecastle vs St Johnstone and hearts but we lack it badly in the league

PISTOL1875
07-04-2016, 05:06 PM
A 4-3-3 system like sevco play is the best system to play.. The full backs join in at every opportunity BUT we have to play at a quick tempo. All this slow tippy-tappy stuff is no good... Yes it is hard to break down 2 banks of 4 but our slow build up play allows teams to file back into shape and shut up shop... A number 6 is selected and he will make a back 3 when play is in the final third...

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Stokes
Cummings