PDA

View Full Version : Ref for the semi final

hibee_girl
05-04-2016, 10:13 PM
BBCBMcLauchlinVerified account
‏@BBCBMcLauchlin
Craig Thomson will ref the Scottish Cup semi-final between Rangers and Celtic. John Beaton has other semi Dundee Utd v Hibs #bbcsportscot

BBCBMcLauchlin ‏@BBCBMcLauchlin 1m1 minute ago
Both Scottish Cup semi finals next weekend will have goal line officials. #bbcsportscot

Smartie
05-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Craig Thomson refereeing an Old Firm game? Civil wars have broken out over less than that.

Famous Fyvie
05-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I think John Beaton is one of the worst refs in Scotland. Tried to take centre stage in the Derby replay by sending Augustyn and JC35 off, and didn't give a stonewall penalty for us at Falkirk in January. :brickwall

GreenCastle
05-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Both refs are terrible and shouldn't be anywhere near the semi finals.

Wouldn't want to ref the old firm game myself - probably more hassle than it's worth !!

matty_f
05-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I think John Beaton is one of the worst refs in Scotland. Tried to take centre stage in the Derby replay by sending Augustyn and JC35 off, and didn't give a stonewall penalty for us at Falkirk in January. :brickwall

The penalty decision was horrendous. Beaton's hopeless.

Monts
05-04-2016, 11:15 PM
At least if we do make the final, we won't have either of these two Reffing it

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2016, 11:16 PM
At least if we do make the final, we won't have either of these two Reffing it

:agree: it'll be Collum. They give it to their main man pre big tournament.

Mr White
06-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Hopefully he'll manage to stay out of the way of the ball this time. His positioning in the falkirk semi last year was horrific. He's a rubbish ref.

JimBHibees
06-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Hopefully he'll manage to stay out of the way of the ball this time. His positioning in the falkirk semi last year was horrific. He's a rubbish ref.

Yep the Falkirk defensive midfielders cut out less of the ball than he did in that game.

oneone73
06-04-2016, 06:36 AM
On the bright side, it should mean Thomson won't get the final

Holmesdale Hibs
06-04-2016, 07:13 AM
FFS, I knew the answer as soon as I saw the title of the thread. That's us a goal down already.

On the bright side we won't have to endure Hibs losing another cup final.

Onceinawhile
06-04-2016, 07:16 AM
Beaton/the authorities have a real dilemma this year. With a good chance both teams could be involved in the play off final, who will theu bump this year?

It was an easy choice to do us over last year, but not so straightforward this year.

SJM
06-04-2016, 07:33 AM
He was the ref when we pumped Hearts aye? At least he knows what offside is.

Just remembered the semi last year. He done an amazing job on Fyvie. :(

Springbank
06-04-2016, 07:49 AM
He was the ref when we pumped Hearts aye? At least he knows what offside is.

Just remembered the semi last year. He done an amazing job on Fyvie. :(

Im clearly not following the herd on this one, but I thought he reffed the cup replay against hearts very sensibly, and his only mistake was not sending Pallardo off for a second yellow for a pretty horrendous challenge near the dug outs in the second half. Neilson subbed Pallardo right afterwards.

cummings second yellow was deserved I thought (sheer stupidity to kick out at the ball after it was out of play, when a hearts player had just been sent off for a ball throwing show of dissent)

much rather have Beaton than Craig Thomson whose retirement can't come quickly enough for me

dangermouse
06-04-2016, 08:10 AM
He is head and shoulders above the two clowns we've had against St Mirren and Livvy.

emerald green
06-04-2016, 06:41 PM
:agree: it'll be Collum. They give it to their main man pre big tournament.

Did Collum not get "demoted" recently, if that's the right word? Surely even the clowns running the game here wouldn't go from that to giving him the Scottish Cup final?

Then again, maybe they would.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Did Collum not get "demoted" recently, if that's the right word? Surely even the clowns running the game here wouldn't go from that to giving him the Scottish Cup final?

Then again, maybe they would.

He's still going to the Euros isn't he? Sure I read (or heard in the radio) that UEFA like their reps to get a big gig in their own country before showing up at the tournament.

Mr White
06-04-2016, 06:47 PM
He's still going to the Euros isn't he? Sure I read (or heard in the radio) that UEFA like their reps to get a big gig in their own country before showing up at the tournament.

Set him up with a microphone and a banjo in Glasgow green on scottish cup final day then while bobby madden referees the match :greengrin

emerald green
06-04-2016, 06:48 PM

I'm not sure about the Euros TBH, but you're probably right.

JimBHibees
07-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Yep Thomson was going to the Euros in 2012 and the rest is history.

monktonharp
07-04-2016, 12:22 PM
BBCBMcLauchlin ‏@BBCBMcLauchlin 1m1 minute ago
Both Scottish Cup semi finals next weekend will have goal line officials. #bbcsportscot not seen this before, maybe just not paying attention:greengrin So, does this mean extra officials positioned on the goal line all though the game? technology would work far better these days than a man trying to watch pushing pulling etc at corners etc and keep an eye on a goal line too. Rugby does it......when will the SFA step up[ to the plate. ?

Conj
07-04-2016, 05:43 PM
The Semi-finals last year had them too

Smartie
07-04-2016, 05:53 PM
I'd rather they didn't bother.

It's a f*****g embarrassment that whilst the world gets on with utilising reliable technology we in Scotland - for a national cup semi-final - get a couple of clowns with flags.

Goal line officials are the most utterly useless solution ever dreamt up. You have to be fair to referees, linesman and goal-line officials - these decisions can be almost impossible to make at times. This just heaps pressure on them when in truth they're no more likely to get it right than the ref and linesman would anyway imo.

stantonhibby
07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I'd rather they didn't bother.

It's a f*****g embarrassment that whilst the world gets on with utilising reliable technology we in Scotland - for a national cup semi-final - get a couple of clowns with flags.

Goal line officials are the most utterly useless solution ever dreamt up. You have to be fair to referees, linesman and goal-line officials - these decisions can be almost impossible to make at times. This just heaps pressure on them when in truth they're no more likely to get it right than the ref and linesman would anyway imo.

Indeed... .and the lot of them still missed the blatant hand ball in last year's semi between ICT and Celtic