PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel

Northernhibee
05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Goal of the season and huge, huge contribution today. Congrats big man :thumbsup:

SJM
05-04-2016, 08:48 PM
For some reason sitting there it reminded me of Stephen Glass around xmas time scoring the late winner against Dunfermline. Take a boo Mr Boyle.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Its one of the best goals i have seen at Easter Road in years. :top marks

Pretty Boy
05-04-2016, 08:52 PM
One of the best Hibs goals, in fact just goals full stop, I have ever seen in the flesh.

Caught it perfectly and it had goal written all over it as soon as he struck it.

My_Wife_Camille
05-04-2016, 08:54 PM
One of the best goals I've ever seen. The guy has changed the game when he came on and more than deserved the Man of the Match award

DaveF
05-04-2016, 08:54 PM
One of the best Hibs goals, in fact just goals full stop, I have ever seen in the flesh.

Caught it perfectly and it had goal written all over it as soon as he struck it.

As if I wasn't pissed off enough at having to work, I read this and got texts from AFKA_Hibs telling me how great it was :rolleyes:

steino1875
05-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Cracking strike :-)

bingo70
05-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I cannae have been the only one thinking 'Dinnae hit it!'

hibee_girl
05-04-2016, 09:00 PM

:agree: He'll never score a better goal than that.

Boyle89
05-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Up there with the best goals I've seen live. Sooooo good!!!
Says it all when he played 25mins and was mom by some distance.

bigwheel
05-04-2016, 09:03 PM
not sure he meant it...he was just trying to take a first touch.

bob12345
05-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Anyone got a video of it?

Hiber-nation
05-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Unbelievable strike. I'd start him every week but one poor game and he's invariably dropped. Maybe because he doesn't fit into the "system".

chasitup
05-04-2016, 09:12 PM
One of the best I've ever seen. Stunning strike.

Cauld Bovril
05-04-2016, 09:15 PM
My 12 year old is on the phone to his pals raving about the best goal he's ever seen live and I think the 47 year old me agrees with him. Absolute peach of a strike.

Dinkydoo
05-04-2016, 09:16 PM
I haven't seen the goal yet but Boyle was our best player against Raith as well. The only one who seems capable of creating a bit of room and stretching teams. He really needs to be starting from now on.

Also, have I missed something happening with Carmichael? He was relatively quick, why aren't we changing up the midfield by
playing him too instead of 3 Centre Mids...

Anyway, we won and I can't wait to see the winner. Just still feeling a bit pissed off that we aren't at least attempting to change our system that has been less than effective for some time now.

bingo70
05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Up there with the best goals I've seen live. Sooooo good!!!
Says it all when he played 25mins and was mom by some distance.

I think that's a bit harsh on Stokes who was excellent tonight and showed a superb attitude throughout.

IMO stokes was motm but I understand why Boyle got it

Hi Heid Yin
05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
A beauty from Boyle!
A confidence lifter for one and all and hopefully the game that we will look back on as the kick-start of the run that took us back to the SPL.

hibee_girl
05-04-2016, 09:18 PM
I haven't seen the goal yet but Boyle was our best player against Raith as well. The only one who seems capable of creating a bit of room and stretching teams. He really needs to be starting from now on.

Also, have I missed something happening with Carmichael? He was relatively quick, why aren't we changing up the midfield by
playing him too instead of 3 Centre Mids...

Anyway, we won and I can't wait to see the winner. Just still feeling a bit pissed off that we aren't at least attempting to change our system that has been less than effective for some time now.

Carmichael is injured again.

Dinkydoo
05-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Carmichael is injured again.
Ah right, cheers.

SJM
05-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Best goal I've seen live since Riordans. Fortunate to be there.

Malthibby

You weren't, saw him shaping to hit it & thought, 'Don't be so ******' stupid.'
Then, Kerblamm.......:flag:

iwasthere1972
Brilliant goal. Had a great view from FF Lower.

givescotlandfreedom
05-04-2016, 09:22 PM
What a rocket that was. Well done Martin Boyle!

GlesgaeHibby
05-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Stunning strike, couldn't have got a better view, row D in the east.

Smartie
05-04-2016, 09:38 PM

:agree:

"FFS PRENDERVILLE DON"T F*****G HIT IT……….."

Greenblood70
05-04-2016, 09:41 PM
absolutely majestic strike - there was a sonic boom when it came off his boot and ripped into the top corner.

Got a lot of time for Boyle, never seems to complain about not starting regularly and always looks like he enjoys his football and appreciates playing for the club.

The_Horde
05-04-2016, 09:44 PM
https://youtu.be/fhEOHr3mlQE

TheReg!
05-04-2016, 09:45 PM
I always go to the game early with my boy, I watch the shooting drills and Boyle is always smashing them in more so than the rest of the strikers tbh.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2016, 09:46 PM
I always go to the game early with my boy, I watch the shooting drills and Boyle is always smashing them in more so than the rest of the strikers tbh.

He was doing it at half time too

ancient hibee
05-04-2016, 09:48 PM
I thought the way Boyle got himself into the game compared to Keatings was instructive.Somehow Keatings always looks as if the world is against him yet he has good skills and a good record at this level.

Greenblood70
05-04-2016, 09:50 PM

Cheers for that - what a goal - made going along this evening worthwhile.

Johnny_Leith
05-04-2016, 09:51 PM

Could open a tin of beans with that strike!

Sir David Gray
05-04-2016, 09:52 PM
One of the best goals I've ever seen.

If Ronaldo or Messi had scored that goal, it would still be spoken about in 30 years' time.

Fully deserved the man of the match award as well, he was brilliant when he came on.

The Harp Awakes
05-04-2016, 09:55 PM
38 consecutive years with an ST at Easter Road and that's up there with best Hibs goals I've seen. You simply can't hit a football any sweeter than that. A stunning goal and great performance from the wee man.

Stokes goal was also brilliantly taken as well.

Ged
05-04-2016, 10:01 PM

If you watch Boyle, the ball was still 5 yards out when he started to wheel away to celebrate. Never in doubt.

Ryan91
05-04-2016, 10:01 PM
For some reason sitting there it reminded me of Stephen Glass around xmas time scoring the late winner against Dunfermline. Take a boo Mr Boyle.

Boyle's goal reminded me more of Mikey Stewart's belter vs Aberdeen after puking his guts up, now that was a cracker of a goal.

The_Sauz
05-04-2016, 10:02 PM
It was a great strike, but David Zitelli stike against Athens at Easter Road was better (goal was at 3:25)

>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk)

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Boyle's goal reminded me more of Mikey Stewart's belter vs Aberdeen after puking his guts up, now that was a cracker of a goal.

It was but it turns out he shinned it so loses a bit of the magic.

mghibs
05-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Was sat perfectly behind the goal to see him hit it... As soon as it left his boot you could see it was going in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
05-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Up there as one of the best goals I have seen live and I have seen a few!

matty_f
05-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Stunning strike - hard to think of a better one that I've seen live.

Malongoals
05-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Great strike absolutely pummelled the net

Jonnyboy
05-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Over the years I've seen many goals but this one is right up with the best of them. Watch his body shape as he strikes the ball. Fantastic technique

hibby6270
05-04-2016, 10:24 PM
The sound off his boot when he struck it will live in my memory for the rest of my days.
Unbelievable strike. Couldn't have caught it any better.
He'll never strike a better ball again in his life - not even in his wildest dreams.

hibee_girl
05-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Martin Boyle ‏@MartinBoyle9 48m48 minutes ago
It's safe to say I'll never score a goal like that again. 😂👍🏼🙈 #Hibees

Weststandwanab
05-04-2016, 10:29 PM

Noticed that too particularly tonight. Wonder if Stubbs knows this.

Famous Fyvie
05-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Not being funny but why is Martin Boyle called squirrel? Can anybody help me out on this?

Bishop Hibee
05-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Right behind it in the East. Fabulous strike!

Malongoals
05-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I'll be honest I don't think boyle gets enough credit from us fans, thinking we could take inspiration from Chelsea fans and throw nuts at him (after the squirrel thing) whenever he's on the wing near us fans in the east, GGTTH

high bee
05-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Martin Boyle has just won football. The end.

Jonnyboy
05-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Not being funny but why is Martin Boyle called squirrel? Can anybody help me out on this?

Watch him smile for an obvious clue :greengrin Might be wrong but I think Jason gave him the nickname pretty much from the day they first met at EM

Malongoals
05-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Watch him smile for an obvious clue :greengrin Might be wrong but I think Jason gave him the nickname pretty much from the day they first met at EM

Bullying in the workplace is no joke GGTTH

scooby
05-04-2016, 10:47 PM
He was doing it at half time too

Yeah he scored a peach from the halfway line at half time, but his winner tonight was sublime.

FranckSuzy
05-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Bullying in the workplace is no joke GGTTH

:faf: Everyone calls him it and even the announcer said Martin 'Squirrel' Boyle when he scored!

LaMotta
05-04-2016, 10:49 PM
It was a great strike, but David Zitelli stike against Athens at Easter Road was better (goal was at 3:25)

>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk)

Boyles was better methinks....much harder to control a half volley like that!

Famous Fyvie
05-04-2016, 10:55 PM
:faf: Everyone calls him it and even the announcer said Martin 'Squirrel' Boyle when he scored!

I love our announcer :agree:

Malongoals
05-04-2016, 10:56 PM
I love our announcer :agree:

I prefer the old one

O'Rourke3
05-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Best strike for seasons. As soon as he hit it .....you just knew.

marleyhib
05-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Beautiful goal, been crying out for him to be playing all season and that's nothing to do with his wonder goal tonight. Changed the game, we lack pace and he has it, dragged defenders out of position - should be playing more often.

ALF TUPPER
06-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Absolute quality - well done Martin BOOO⚽️M !!

hibsbollah
06-04-2016, 07:22 AM

The Livvy keeper should have stopped it really. You never see him make difficult saves.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2016, 07:29 AM
The Livvy keeper should have stopped it really. You never see him make difficult saves.

I was thinking that - same with the stokes one. His positioning looked suspect.

I will admit that most of my knowledge of this is taken from the guys on here that know about goalkeeping (if true).

lyonhibs
06-04-2016, 07:35 AM

:agree: :agree:

There was really only ever one place that shot was going. Didn't move his feet anywhere near quick enough.

hibsbollah
06-04-2016, 07:56 AM
:agree: :agree:

There was really only ever one place that shot was going. Didn't move his feet anywhere near quick enough.

He took a micro step to his left a nano second before the strike and that 'sold the farm'. He clearly moved his centre of balance away from the balls of his feet. Schoolboy stuff really.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2016, 07:58 AM
He took a micro step to his left a nano second before the strike and that 'sold the farm'. He clearly moved his centre of balance away from the balls of his feet. Schoolboy stuff really.

:agree: He made it easy for Boyle.

hibee_girl
06-04-2016, 08:28 AM
The first goal came from Boyle winning the ball back around the half way line

JimBHibees
06-04-2016, 09:48 AM
The first goal came from Boyle winning the ball back around the half way line

Also put the cross in for the Stokes chance which went just wide

Diclonius
06-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Boyle has turned up with important goals for us more than once in his time here - other than last night we have the opener in the win over Falkirk last season that secured 2nd place for us and the last-minute equaliser against Falkirk at Easter Road that kept our run going.

It's a testament to his workrate that he's by no means a guaranteed starter for us but every time he comes on he works his socks off and has the potential to make a difference.

Skol
06-04-2016, 10:31 AM
The Livvy keeper really should have come for the cross ball and caught it and prevented it landing near boyle to hit such a shot. Keeper badly at fault

Toldo123
06-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Unbelievable goal. Got us out of jail. Is depessing that we are relying on wonder goals to beat livingston.

FranckSuzy
06-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Unbelievable goal. Got us out of jail. Is depessing that we are relying on wonder goals to beat livingston.

:faf:

Tom Hart RIP
06-04-2016, 12:12 PM
38 consecutive years with an ST at Easter Road and that's up there with best Hibs goals I've seen. You simply can't hit a football any sweeter than that. A stunning goal and great performance from the wee man.

Stokes goal was also brilliantly taken as well.

I'm coming up 50 years going to ER and I agree with you 100%. Still buzzing this morning.

Ringothedog
06-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Totally agree, we should be scoring crappy, scrambling, just over the line type of goals against teams like Livingston. None of this "get you out of your seat", talk about for weeks type of goals.

Smartie
06-04-2016, 12:53 PM

I'll just stick to being delighted at being reminded we have players who can score wonder goals thanks.

dangermouse
06-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Martin can be described as one of the good guys. My son follows him on Twitter and they exchange tweets quite regularly and for anyone who has seen the "Life without Hibs" video and knows my son will understand the passion he has for Hibs.

After the debacle at Kirkcaldy, my son and Martin were exchanging tweets when he asked for my son's phone number. Next thing he knew, he was talking to him and Martin wanted to apologise for the performance that day as he knew he and the rest of the team had let the fans down big time. My son was over the moon that he took time out to do this. A nice touch from a genuine guy.

JimBHibees
06-04-2016, 12:56 PM
I'll just stick to being delighted at being reminded we have players who can score wonder goals thanks.

I know it is wrong however my default for anyone that joined this site either Feb or Mar 16 and spout negatively on anything is LTYF. :greengrin

matty_f
06-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Martin can be described as one of the good guys. My son follows him on Twitter and they exchange tweets quite regularly and for anyone who has seen the "Life without Hibs" video and knows my son will understand the passion he has for Hibs.

After the debacle at Kirkcaldy, my son and Martin were exchanging tweets when he asked for my son's phone number. Next thing he knew, he was talking to him and Martin wanted to apologise for the performance that day as he knew he and the rest of the team had let the fans down big time. My son was over the moon that he took time out to do this. A nice touch from a genuine guy.
That's a great story. Superb from Boyle. :agree:

fulshie
06-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Boyles technique was superb and he got his just rewards for it. Great goal. Nearly as good as Sparkys against Hearts......except that wasn't a goal was it? I refer to the goal that never was which was also sublime technique on how to strike a ball sweetly.

Boyle89
06-04-2016, 03:52 PM

That's fantastic! Not what you expect from your typical footballer. Makes me want him to succeed even more! His brief performance last night was nothing short of brilliant.

CorrieHibs
06-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Great goal. Defo one of the best I've seen live. Think I've watched it about a dozen times today.

Boyle changed the game. We were screaming out for him to come on and stretch the match.

From the moment he got on he looked up for it. Played a lovely cut back for Stokes but was unlucky to go wide.

We need Boyle starting. Seems to do well then is dropped.
Not sure if he is an impact sub but well done and keep it up.

dangermouse
07-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Boyles technique was superb and he got his just rewards for it. Great goal. Nearly as good as Sparkys against Hearts......except that wasn't a goal was it? I refer to the goal that never was which was also sublime technique on how to strike a ball sweetly.

Spookily my son was a ball boy at that game and if you watch a replay of the "goal" you see him leap up to celebrate it.

LithgaeHibby
07-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Played a lovely cut back for Stokes but was unlucky to go wide.

:agree: The goal was an absolute beauty, one of the best I've seen (and a great view I had of it in the FF lower too) but the quality of his crossing was also worth mentioning. You could have given the ball to Gray and Stevenson all night and they wouldn't have found a man, but one low cross from Boyle caused all sorts of problems. Also liked the way Stokes congratulated Boyle after his goal.

scm70nyd1973
07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Another one to remember as a "toe poke" - which is a sort of euphemism for wonder goal since the late Jimmy Hill's brilliant wind up of Narey's goal v Brazil in 1882 !

Baader
07-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Wonder strike. You can't connect with a football any better than that.

I really like Boyle as a player and I think he's quite underused by Stubbs.

Famous Fiver
07-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Best I've seen since Bobby Duncan against Napoli.

The_Sauz
07-04-2016, 11:57 AM
:agree: The goal was an absolute beauty, one of the best I've seen (and a great view I had of it in the FF lower too) but the quality of his crossing was also worth mentioning. You could have given the ball to Gray and Stevenson all night and they wouldn't have found a man, but one low cross from Boyle caused all sorts of problems. Also liked the way Stokes congratulated Boyle after his goal.

I guess you were sleeping when Stevenson back post cross was headed just wide by Stokes in the second half :rolleyes:

TheFamous1875
07-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Best I've seen since Bobby Duncan against Napoli.

There nae chance any footage exists? It's such an iconic goal and I've read about it and heard about but never seen footage. I'd imagine someone was there to record such a high-profile match but it's for whatever reason never been released - anyone reckon it's kept by someone, somewhere? Hibs should get their hands on it if so!

hughio
07-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Best strike for seasons. As soon as he hit it .....you just knew.

I know what you mean...but there's this funny thing too that happens where you're wondering as its on its way whether time has stopped.....

portycabbage
07-04-2016, 02:16 PM

I missed Rankin's squiggler going in, as I'd turned away in disgust that he'd shot from there!

The Harp
07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Without a doubt one of the best goals I can remember seeing at ER. The kind of strike we'll be fondly recalling years from now.
Well done Martin, hope it helps you secure a regular place in the team.