PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Hibs goalkeeper?

G B Young
04-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Just to deflect a little from the ongoing arguments about the merits of Mark Oxley, how about a more positive goalkeeping thread?

Without question the BEST Hibs goalkeeper I've ever seen was Andy Goram. I'd actually argue he was one of the world's best ever keepers.

Was he my FAVOURITE though? Yes, he probably was. However, as a kid the first Hibs goalkeepers I was really aware of were Jim McArthur and Mike McDonald and I just kind of assumed they were good. Hard to recall if they were though. I only have the haziest memories of Jim Herriot, but I think he was popular with the fans and he certainly played in a terrific Hibs team. What I recall most about these guys is that they mostly played without gloves which must have been a tricky business.

John Burridge was a great character for sure and his enthusiasm rubbed off on the team that went on to win the Skol Cup after the club came so close to disappearing.

My older relatives were big fans of Tommy Younger.

bigwheel
04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Just to deflect a little from the ongoing arguments about the merits of Mark Oxley, how about a more positive goalkeeping thread?

Without question the BEST Hibs goalkeeper I've ever seen was Andy Goram. I'd actually argue he was one of the world's best ever keepers.

Was he my FAVOURITE though? Yes, he probably was. However, as a kid the first Hibs goalkeepers I was really aware of were Jim McArthur and Mike McDonald and I just kind of assumed they were good. Hard to recall if they were though. I only have the haziest memories of Jim Herriot, but I think he was popular with the fans and he certainly played in a terrific Hibs team. What I recall most about these guys is that they mostly played without gloves which must have been a tricky business.

John Burridge was a great character for sure and his enthusiasm rubbed off on the team that went on to win the Skol Cup after the club came so close to disappearing.

My older relatives were big fans of Tommy Younger.

I think Goram was likely the best...I liked "Supermac" he wasn't the very best, but was capable of some outstanding saves..As a young kid, Jim Herriot was like a star to me...the mud under the eye etc...top class!

Smartie
04-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Leighton.

Some of the performances he put in and some of the saves he made were incredible.

I thought he was finished and had zero expectation of him when he signed but he knuckled down, grafted away and became a very important player for us.

It was a huge achievement for him to get back in the Scotland squad and even get a game ahead of Goram (who was an immense keeper himself) at one point.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Jim Leighton from my time watching Hibs.

SJM
04-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Nick Colgan or Daniel Anderson.

DH1875
04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Jim Leighton for me.

Baldy Foghorn
04-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Goram was outstanding, and Budgie was a character......

Roughie had his moments too......

I have one of Makalamby's gloves, that man had shovels for hands.......

Fav for me is a toughie though.....

Pretty Boy
04-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Jim Leighton for me.

Hibernia&Alba
04-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Goram for me. We were lucky to have a player of that calibre. Jim Leighton was top class too.

Biggie
04-04-2016, 08:26 PM
I think Goram was likely the best...I liked "Supermac" he wasn't the very best, but was capable of some outstanding saves..As a young kid, Jim Herriot was like a star to me...the mud under the eye etc...top class!

My thought exactly mate.....Jim Herriot, then goram

stantonhibby
04-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Leighton was great for us. Struggled latterly with his kicking.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Roughie for me.

Waxy
04-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Roughie without a doubt.

04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Goram, hands down. Get it?!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

easty
04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I did see Hibs with Goram in goals, but I was too young to really remember it. After Hibs, and at his peak, Goram was unreal though. World class keeper on his day.

It has to be Leighton for my favourite out of the keepers I have real memories of in a Hibs strip.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Leighton was great for us. Struggled latterly with his kicking.

In his defence he played much of his career before the pass back rule came into force so his kicking wasn't as big an issue until that change. His goal kicks were consistently horrible though.

I know it was a part of his game he worked exceptionally hard on it but his physical issues meant it was always a struggle.

I actually listened to Andy Goram talk about Jim Leighton once, they got on really well despite the Scotland rivalry. He said Jim was a perfectionist and analysed every goal he lost to try and see where he could have done better. Goram said he always felt this wasn't totally healthy as he personally used to be much more able to brush off a mistake or bad game whilst Jim obsessed over it for weeks. He said that he actually eased off a bit on this when he came to Hibs and that probably helped him regain his form.

leggeto
Goram was the best budgie was my favourite

eastmainsmsh
Jim Leighton

Bostonhibby
04-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Alan Rough, followed by Jim Leighton and John Burridge, used to like big Mike MacDonald.

Lago
04-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Roughie without a doubt.
Yip class act.

Thecat23
04-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Andy Goram, guy was just different class!

hibbycha
04-04-2016, 08:40 PM
has 2 be roughie , goram a close 2nd , then Leighton
:thumbsup:

R'Albin
04-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Says something about the quality of 'keeper that we've had in my lifetime that I'd probably have a choice between Williams, Stack and The Monk as they're the only decent keepers we've had. Probably Stack out of that lot.

stantonhibby
04-04-2016, 08:41 PM
In his defence he played much of his career before the pass back rule came into force so his kicking wasn't as big an issue until that change. His goal kicks were consistently horrible though.

I know it was a part of his game he worked exceptionally hard on it but his physical issues meant it was always a struggle.

I actually listened to Andy Goram talk about Jim Leighton once, they got on really well despite the Scotland rivalry. He said Jim was a perfectionist and analysed every goal he lost to try and see where he could have done better. Goram said he always felt this wasn't totally healthy as he personally used to be much more able to brush off a mistake or bad game whilst Jim obsessed over it for weeks. He said that he actually eased off a bit on this when he came to Hibs and that probably helped him regain his form.

True enough, I recall one horrible kick from a passback straight to Colin Cameron who put it in to the empty net. However as I said on the whole Leighton was brilliant for us. I remember a penalty shootout at Pittodrie where he saved the pen to put us through only for the ref to order a re-take. Was listening on the radio so had no idea what was going on. Still went through though.

Hiber-nation
04-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Goram for me, Leighton not far behind. Roughie saved us from a few hammerings as well.

These 3 are some way ahead of the rest as far as I'm concerned although Allan, Heriott, McArthur, McDonald & Budgie were all decent keepers. I liked Daniel Andersson as well.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Jim Leighton, though he never learned to cope with introduction of the pass back rule, Goram was undoubtedly a great keeper, but not much to like about the bigoted hun.

Jonnyboy
04-04-2016, 08:50 PM
True enough, I recall one horrible kick from a passback straight to Colin Cameron who put it in to the empty net. However as I said on the whole Leighton was brilliant for us. I remember a penalty shootout at Pittodrie where he saved the pen to put us through only for the ref to order a re-take. Was listening on the radio so had no idea what was going on. Still went through though.

This one ...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSlja_dfsY

superfurryhibby
04-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Goram was definitely the best, although he was never the greatest at crosses. Shame, what he turned into whilst at the Hun.

Leighton was very good too, disappointing that he went back to Aberdeen when he did. Great character to return tomthe form he eventually found, after the Man U debacle and a not so great stint at Dundee.

Roughie shone in a grim era for Hibs. He was the difference in a few seasons when relegation was calling. Rough also took pelters at times, he too wasn't the most commanding in the box but I suppose he made up for that by otherwise being generally outstanding .

Those guys stand out for me as the three best, by a long way.

Memories of 70's keepers are less clear, Mike McDonald was well liked and he single handedly started at riot when blootered yon Celtic prick (Latchford?) in the baws. Never to be forgotten.

Remember Jim Mc Arthur and Herriot, but more McArthur. He stuck around at Hibs for a long time, even displaced by guys like Mc Donald and Roddy McKenzie.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2016, 08:58 PM
This one ...........

Mental decision. He's barely half a yard off his line when he makes the save. You see keepers just about on the 6 yard line now go unpunished.

Smartie
04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Says something about the quality of 'keeper that we've had in my lifetime that I'd probably have a choice between Williams, Stack and The Monk as they're the only decent keepers we've had. Probably Stack out of that lot.

It's scary to think that there is now probably a generation of Hibs fans who have come to accept that we always have generally guff goalkeepers.

When I was growing up you almost took it for granted that Hibs would have a quality keeper - there can't have been many clubs during that period who would have had better than Rough/Goram/Burridge/Leighton.

OtleyHibs
04-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Leighton for me.
Also remember seeing Darren Jackson (my hero at the time) in goal for us at Parkhead and Andy Millen doing the same at Fir Park. They would both get in my top 5 probably : )

The Harp
04-04-2016, 09:04 PM
We've been blessed with some outstanding keepers down the years, guys like Younger, Goram, Leighton and Rough (with a few huddies thrown in) but my personal favourite is Ronnie Simpson. A safer pair of hands between the sticks would be hard to find. An outstanding keeper for us without a doubt.

fulshie
04-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Leighton for me. Goram was good but Leighton had a better attitude.

killie-hibby
04-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Ronnie Simpson and Alan Rough.
Can't decide if one was better than the other.
My strongest memory of Simpson was his two penalty saves at Tynecastle on a new years day game.

stantonhibby
04-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Mental decision. He's barely half a yard off his line when he makes the save. You see keepers just about on the 6 yard line now go unpunished.

Blatant cheating by Kenny Clark.

The Spaceman
04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Nick Colgan because he was a nutjob who used to get into fights if I remember correctly?

SJM
04-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Nick Colgan because he was a nutjob who used to get into fights if I remember correctly?

😂😂😂 a quieter guy you would fail to meet.

mim
04-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Lawrie Leslie - simply the best. :flag:

hibee
04-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Andy Goram, still remember his debut when he made some great saves.

I liked how he came out for crosses or one on ones but always made sure he wiped out the striker after catching the ball.

CorrieHibs
04-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Jim Leighton for me.

Greencore
04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Morten hydrgaard

Sir David Gray
04-04-2016, 10:23 PM
I was only 9 when Jim Leighton left us so I don't really remember seeing much of him.

Daniel Andersson, Nick Colgan or Ben Williams for me.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Leighton was immense for Hibs, it was great to see him rebuild his career after looking like his confidence had gone and get back into the Scotland team. I never really appreciated how good he was until watching him week in week out for Hibs.

Eyrie
04-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Just missed Goram, so it would be Leighton and then Colgan for me.

Andy74
04-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Goram was the best I've seen by some distance.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Goram, Leighton, Budgie. In that order I reckon.

Tom Hart RIP
05-04-2016, 05:12 AM
Between Goram and Roughie for me. Go rams performance at Tynecastle where the Hearts fans sung his name was unbelievable but Roughie save us from relegation a few times. Wish we'd got him a few years before we did

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2016, 05:53 AM
Goram was the best I've seen by some distance.

Me too. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-04-2016, 06:21 AM
1st Goram
2nd Goram
3rd Leighton

SkintHibby
05-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Goram for me although he never seemed to play as good against the tramps.

KeithTheHibby
05-04-2016, 07:33 AM
Jim Leighton for sure. Given the fact that he'd been shat on by Man U and Dundee this was a remarkable turnaround in a career to the point where he became Scotland number 1 again.
Couldn't kick a ball mind you!

Goram was good too but the minute he left ER and became one of them my admiration for him dropped.
Roughie was another one playing in a poor Hibs team.

Yorkshire HFC
05-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Alan Rough was the best that I've seen - then we had Leighton and Goram, both of whom were superb - that was a great run of keepers

LustForLeith
05-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Goram for me.

Remember his debut against Pars and we won 4-0. Dunfermline had a shot that flew past the post as Goram stood rooted to the spot.

"What happened there, Andy?" a fan shouted. "Had it covered," came the reply.

I used to go to school at Lorne Primary and as we were waiting to play our game on a Saturday morning we'd often see Goram turn up at his flat across from the school looking a little disheveled shall we say. Still didn't stop him putting in a great performance later that day.

What was the game we lost to a long range goal away on Europe? I'm sure Goram made a top class save, one where Archie McPherson said it was a goal before Goram clawed it away.

Baldy Foghorn
05-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Goram for me.

Remember his debut against Pars and we won 4-0. Dunfermline had a shot that flew past the post as Goram stood rooted to the spot.

"What happened there, Andy?" a fan shouted. "Had it covered," came the reply.

I used to go to school at Lorne Primary and as we were waiting to play our game on a Saturday morning we'd often see Goram turn up at his flat across from the school looking a little disheveled shall we say. Still didn't stop him putting in a great performance later that day.

What was the game we lost to a long range goal away on Europe? I'm sure Goram made a top class save, one where Archie McPherson said it was a goal before Goram clawed it away.

Liege.....

Albanian Hibs
05-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Andy Goram. He was my hero as he was our keeper when I was the mascot v St Mirren.

stantonhibby
05-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Liege.....

Belgium by bus......an experience. Said never again then went on Anderlecht trip a few years later.

Baldy Foghorn
05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Belgium by bus......an experience. Said never again then went on Anderlecht trip a few years later.

Snap.....

Flew to Videton on Charter, and Goram came down aisle as a trolley dolley:greengrin

Hiber-nation
05-04-2016, 11:33 AM
1st Goram
2nd Goram
3rd Leighton

:greengrin

LustForLeith
05-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Liege.....

That was it!

G B Young
05-04-2016, 12:28 PM
This one ...........

Joke of a decision by the ref to order a retake. Great penalty taking by the Hibs players mind you!

I also recall Leighton excelling during a penalty shoot-out in a League Cup tie at Firhill en route to the 1993 final.

Goram I remember turning in an outstanding peformance at Tynecastle despite the fact we lost the game and, I kid you not, the Hearts fans started singing his name in admiration. I especially recall the fact he kept Scott Crabbe at bay, thus ensuring he never managed to score a goal against Hibs.

Tommy Younger was so highly valued by Hibs that they used to fly him back from his National Service in Germany (I think) so he could play at the weekend.

Iain G
05-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Goram and Leighton as the best goalkeepers in my time supporting Hibs, but favourite, hands down, has to be Budgie :agree:

Or should I nominated Jason Gardiner or Chris Reid just for the hell of it :greengrin

stantonhibby
05-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Mike Franks (is that right or did I just make him up)

eastmainsmsh
05-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Goram and Leighton as the best goalkeepers in my time supporting Hibs, but favourite, hands down, has to be Budgie :agree:

Or should I nominated Jason Gardiner or Chris Reid just for the hell of it :greengrin

Both Gardiner and Reid were unlucky both very good keepers as was stevie woods

Iain G
05-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Both Gardiner and Reid were unlucky both very good keepers as was stevie woods

The issue with producing good young goalkeepers is that if they come up against a Scottish international in possession of the shirt they aren't going to get a lot of game time, baring injuries, and keepers need to be playing games to develop and grow.

JohnMcM
05-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Don't forget Ronnie Simpson. He was just getting into great form when he left us for Celtic.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-04-2016, 05:47 PM
For me Goram followed by Andersson.

HibeesLA
05-04-2016, 05:47 PM
This one ...........

There was another, I'm sure, where Leighton saved a penalty against Rangers, only to have it retaken, and he either saved the 2nd attempt, or it hit the bar. Leighton was certainly my favourite, but was always a scary moment when he received a pass back from a defender.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Don't forget Ronnie Simpson. He was just getting into great form when he left us for Celtic.

You can probably blame Jock Stein for that, or so my old man tells me.

Killiehibbie
05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Favourite Budgie but Goram was the best goalkeeper we ever had.

Mr White
05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Favourite Budgie but Goram was the best goalkeeper we ever had.

For showmanship budgie was a one off, his handstands and laps of honour were brilliant. Not as good a keeper as leighton or Goram in my lifetime but he was definitely the right man at the right time for us after Goram left. Took no nonsense from opposition strikers and was a good shot stopper too. His confidence and experience and Keiths goals turned an underachieving squad into a cup winning one imo.

Keith_M
05-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Gotta be Goram but Rough and Leighton were both very good at Hibs.

Hibrandenburg
05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Best keeper was probably Goram but my favourite was Mike McDonald. Always gave the fans a wave at sometime during the game when he was getting bored. Seem to remember him scoring a goal down the slope from a kick inside his own box but o might be crossing wires.

Framie
05-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Liege.....

http://youtu.be/s8dL_1LjZ1E

Some shot !

sleeping giant
05-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Best keeper was probably Goram but my favourite was Mike McDonald. Always gave the fans a wave at sometime during the game when he was getting bored. Seem to remember him scoring a goal down the slope from a kick inside his own box but o might be crossing wires.

I have absolutely no memory of him.
I had not heard of him until you posted. Strange considering I can remember Jim McArthur clearly .

bigwheel
05-04-2016, 06:27 PM
I had not heard of him until you posted. Strange considering I can remember Jim McArthur clearly .

strange that over 100 games between 75-80...good keeper on his day....

bigwheel
05-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Some shot !

when you see footage from that era, it reminds me just how good Pat McGinglay was - some player!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-04-2016, 06:32 PM

Some shot !

Some trip! :-)

ChicoM1875
05-04-2016, 06:35 PM
The Monk. Goram was also awright.

Hibrandenburg
05-04-2016, 06:42 PM

That's a strange one mate, especially when you consider he probably played over 100 games for us.

Golden Bear
05-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Burridge was my favourite because of his eccentricities but Goram was undoubtedly the best.

Colr
05-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Jim Leighton

eastmainsmsh
05-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Bryan gunn was decent

Glory Lurker
05-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Special shout out to McArthur naturally! Fave is probably Leighton, though.

Aldo
05-04-2016, 07:50 PM
I was lucky enough to watch

McArthur
Roughie
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Anderson

Who for me were all excellent keepers in their own right.

greenpaper55
05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Goram the best i ever saw, worst was a Mr Makalamby, i was looking at his stats and he played at most 3 times for any one team in the last ten years apart from...us 57 times ! says it all really.

ancient hibee
05-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Andy Goram

Lawrie Leslie

Tommy Younger

Crammond Hibee
05-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Andy GORAM for me

emerald green
05-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Jim Leighton maybe shades it from Goram, but I also liked Jim Herriott.

To be fair though, Herriott was playing behind some fantastic players like Brownlie, Blackley and Shades.

Peanut Shaz
05-04-2016, 10:47 PM
I was lucky enough to watch

McArthur
Roughie
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Anderson

Who for me were all excellent keepers in their own right.

Me too. It's no wonder we're not happy with recent keepers. The above are hard acts to follow.

Septimus
06-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Tommy Younger was my boyhood hero but Jimmy Kerr deserves a mention.

banarc7062
06-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Roughie for me.

And Ronnie Simpson before being going west.

Baader
06-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Leighton would be my favourite. Fantastic signing and resurrected his career at Hibs. Remember reading after he retired that he loves the club.

hibsbollah
06-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Although I accept he wasn't the best, Ben Williams was my favourite. Had peaks and troughs in form but on his day he was a quality keeper and a good guy as well.

Forza Fred
06-04-2016, 11:16 AM
And Ronnie Simpson before being going west.

Ronni Simpson for me.

He along with Gerry Baker saved us from relegation back in the 60's, when I was a mere strapling!

EH54
06-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Not necessarily the best but my favorites was gottskalksson (questionable i know) ,Colgan and Anderson i haven't had many to choose from though to be fair

Smartie
06-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Not necessarily the best but my favorites was gottskalksson (questionable i know) ,Colgan and Anderson i haven't had many to choose from though to be fair

Ollie was poor during our relegation season and we improved when we got Bryan Gunn in but I remember him being half decent during the promotion campaign.

I remember McLeish getting Colgan in for the second season back in the top flight but I have a bit of a blind spot in relation to who played during the promotion season and the first season back up.

Who played in goal for us during the Millennium derby? How long was Ollie with us? Who else did we have around that time?

tamig
06-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Ollie was poor during our relegation season and we improved when we got Bryan Gunn in but I remember him being half decent during the promotion campaign.

I remember McLeish getting Colgan in for the second season back in the top flight but I have a bit of a blind spot in relation to who played during the promotion season and the first season back up.

Who played in goal for us during the Millennium derby? How long was Ollie with us? Who else did we have around that time?

A lot of folk slagged Ollie but he was outstanding during our relegation season and I felt sorry for him when he was replaced by Colgan - who I didn't think was great.

Drummer
06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Tommy Younger

Swedish hibee
06-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Leighton :not worth

Pretty Boy
06-04-2016, 09:39 PM

Ollie was an ever present in the 1st division and was very good for the most part. He started the season in goals in our 1st season back up but was dropped out after a game vs Dundee Utd where we won 3-2. He made a mistake for the 1st goal and gave away a last minute penalty which Billy Dodds missed. Nick Colgan came in the next week away at Rugby Park. Colgan played in the Millenium derby, Oliie was on the bench but I'm not sure he ever played for Hibs again after the above mentioned Dundee Utd game.

In our 2nd season back up, the 3rd place and SC Final season, Colgan was 1st choice and Mike Franks was back up. Think he played twice, definitely away to Motherwell in a match where Zitelli scored an absolute beauty.

We brought in Tony Caig shortly after. The less said about that the better.

snooky
06-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Kenny Garland :wink:

lyonhibs
07-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Ollie was an ever present in the 1st division and was very good for the most part. He started the season in goals in our 1st season back up but was dropped out after a game vs Dundee Utd where we won 3-2. He made a mistake for the 1st goal and gave away a last minute penalty which Billy Dodds missed. Nick Colgan came in the next week away at Rugby Park. Colgan played in the Millenium derby, Oliie was on the bench but I'm not sure he ever played for Hibs again after the above mentioned Dundee Utd game.

In our 2nd season back up, the 3rd place and SC Final season, Colgan was 1st choice and Mike Franks was back up. Think he played twice, definitely away to Motherwell in a match where Zitelli scored an absolute beauty.

:boo hoo::boo hoo::grr::grr:

Smartie
07-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Cheers for that. :aok:

I didn't realise Colgan signed and played that early on - I could have sworn he joined at the same time as Laursen, Fenwick and Gary Smith.

Just goes to show.