PDA

View Full Version : Shots> Shots on target> Goals

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I added together all our shots from the Championship, shots on target and goals.

Shot: 460
SOT: 168
Goals:46

A goal every 10 shots.

crazy :bitchy:

Baldy Foghorn
04-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Can you do same analysis of the other teams shots to goals ratios against us.....?

We have battered teams all game, who have had one or two shots against us and lost. Would like to see the comparison?

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:10 PM
There must be a lot of good goalies in this league 😇😇

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Can you do same analysis of the other teams shots to goals ratios against us.....?

We have battered teams all game, who have had one or two shots against us and lost. Would like to see the comparison?

Away teams

SHOTS: 207 SOT: 74 GOALS:28

A goal every 2/3 shots on target.

Lee Marvin
04-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Away teams

But oxley is great and saves loads of shots. You must be mistaken.

mutley
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
I added together all our shots from the Championship, shots on target and goals.

A goal every 10 shots.

Away teams

Im not trying to let Oxley off the hook here, however, surely some blame must also fall on the strikers not finishing well enough? 460 shots against 207, 168 on target against 74. Does anyone wat to count the "sitters" we've missed compared to ones missed against us.

That's quite depressing

Bostonhibby
04-04-2016, 01:48 PM
There must be a lot of good goalies in this league 😇😇
[emoji1] Or giant keepers or very small gaps between the posts at the ends we are attacking

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:52 PM

A goal every 10 shots.

A goal for every 3.6 shots on target?

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
[emoji1] Or giant keepers or very small gaps between the posts at the ends we are attacking

I know we were entering a league of posties and brickies but I didn't meant it meant literally in terms of the goalies.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-04-2016, 02:07 PM
We simply don't work keepers enough, been like this for ages.
I don't know how many times I've been sat there at half time saying to myself the the opposition goalie hasn't had a save to make. We should be peppering the goal with shots at this level.
If you don't buy a ticket, you canny win the prize.

KeithTheHibby
04-04-2016, 02:08 PM
For a club, who are so big behind the scenes on statistics and analysis, have failed to address this all season.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 02:09 PM
For a club, who are so big behind the scenes on statistics and analysis, have failed to address this all season.

:agree: Our conversion rate is atrocious.

lyonhibs
04-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Not a million miles away from the comparative stat against us of 2.65 shots per goal, but still a noticeable difference (we need 27.7% "more" shots to score than the opposition need to score into us)

These stats omit the inescapable reality that, with the players we have, if properly utilised tactically, we should have pished all over 80% of the teams in this league and certainly be nowhere a 1 win in 8 record that we are currently looking at :rolleyes:

seanshow
04-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Only Darren McGregor and to a degree Keatings can shoot properly imo,
Stick DM up front and we will get a few more goals :)

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 02:20 PM

:agree:

We need to start shooting from outside of the box, instead of the excessive passing, trying to work it into the box type of play. The majority of teams in this league play with 10 men in or around there box.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Yeah..?

Since90+2
04-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Only Darren McGregor and to a degree Keatings can shoot properly imo,
Stick DM up front and we will get a few more goals :)

Cummings surely?

04-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Our shots on target to goals ratio is a joke. Far too many missed chances in games and opposition teams know that they don't have to create many chances against us. The cup final for example, they had something like 3 shots on target and scored 2 of them. Pretty typical of our games recently.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Away teams

Or a goal every 7.3 shots.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Has anyone said he's great and saves loads? I think the argument (across multiple ****ing threads now) is that he's not as bad as some make out, and that folk now blame him regardless.

silverhibee
04-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Who is the striker coach at EM, or don't we have one.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Or a goal every 7.3 shots.

The reason I didn't put that was because it's more often than not a team has less than 7 shots.

Sergey
04-04-2016, 02:47 PM

We need to start shooting from outside of the box, instead of the excessive passing, trying to work it into the box type of play. The majority of teams in this league play with 10 men in or around there box.

Only 2.6% of goals scored are from shots from outside the box. While at Bolton, Sam Allardyce would fine players if they took a shot from outside the box as the chances of scoring are so slim.

Edit: This figure excludes Direct Free Kicks which are scored 6.6% of the time (1 in 15)

lapsedhibee
04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Only 2.6% of goals scored are from shots from outside the box. While at Bolton, Sam Allardyce would fine players if they took a shot from outside the box as the chances of scoring are so slim.

Don't think we want to be holding up advocates of anti-football like Fat Sam as policy gooroos. His Bolton were by a very long piece of string the worst fitba side I have ever watched on the tellybox. (Far worse than even Stoke under Pulis.)

Hurrah for Bobby Duncan!

Sergey
04-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Don't think we want to be holding up advocates of anti-football like Fat Sam as policy gooroos. His Bolton were by a very long piece of string the worst fitba side I have ever watched on the tellybox. (Far worse than even Stoke under Pulis.)

Hurrah for Bobby Duncan!

The point is though, if you only score 2.4% of the time from shots outside the box, then long-range shooting isn't the answer to bettering your goal tally.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 03:11 PM
The point is though, if you only score 2.4% of the time from shots outside the box, then long-range shooting isn't the answer to bettering your goal tally.

But when you're only scoring from 1 in 10 (and the majority from around the 18 yard box) training to have a shot from outside the box might not be a bad idea.

Malonga done it a fair few times, I bet his percentage of long shots is above 2.4%

Sergey
04-04-2016, 03:18 PM
But when you're only scoring from 1 in 10 (and the majority from around the 18 yard box) training to have a shot from outside the box might not be a bad idea.

Malonga done it a fair few times, I bet his percentage of long shots is above 2.4%

I really don't get your logic here.

You started a thread to discuss statistics. I've told you that the conversion rate for shots scored from outside the box is 2.4% yet you still think it's a good idea?

Surely it's better to keep passing and probing until a chance inside the box can be created or a set piece opportunity won - then the stats swing in your favour.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I really don't get your logic here.

You started a thread to discuss statistics. I've told you that the conversion rate for shots scored from outside the box is 2.4% yet you still think it's a good idea?

Surely it's better to keep passing and probing until a chance inside the box can be created or a set piece opportunity won - then the stats swing in your favour.

My point is we should be training to shoot from outside the box. We pass and pass and pass, then someone has a pop from edge of the box, and that doesn't work. I'm saying we should PREPARE to shoot from outside the box. At the moment our shots are a pop shot because we have over passed the ball and are surrounded by 5 opposition players.

Pete
04-04-2016, 03:37 PM
How many of the shots on target could you throw your cap over?

The strikers should spend at least one day a week just whacking waterlogged mitre deltas towards the goal and see if that helps. Especially Stokes. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
04-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Stats can be manipulated but pretty easy to see, we don't score enough goals

Hermit Crab
04-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Cummings surely?

You're jesting, he misses far more than he scores.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 04:03 PM

There's a shock.

Onion
04-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Not as simple as that. IMO our biggest problem is we've become far too predictable in our slow build up play, mainly trying to pass our way through the middle. Any balls out wide invariably end up coming back inside to our centre mids (to play through the middle) or end up with poor crosses that rarely find a Hibs man. So, teams are able just to sit in and wait for Hibs to come passing. Taking more shots from 25 yrs out might not end up in the net, but at least it shows the opposition something different that they need to try deal with. IMO Farid is the answer to our immediate striking problem. He's unlike anyone else we have, able to head a ball, strong, with good vision and eye for goal - much less predictable than JC or Stokes. If fit, he'd now be in my starting 11 for the rest of the games.

Hermit Crab
04-04-2016, 04:10 PM
There's a shock.

No it's not actually, his goals to one on one chances is very poor.

Since90+2
04-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Jason Cummings can't shoot properly. I've heard it all now.

greenlex
04-04-2016, 04:16 PM
We simply don't work keepers enough, been like this for ages.
I don't know how many times I've been sat there at half time saying to myself the the opposition goalie hasn't had a save to make. We should be peppering the goal with shots at this level.
If you don't buy a ticket, you canny win the prize.
Surely we are working the keepers. Plenty shots pon target not enough going in.

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Our shots on target to goals ratio is a joke. Far too many missed chances in games and opposition teams know that they don't have to create many chances against us. The cup final for example, they had something like 3 shots on target and scored 2 of them. Pretty typical of our games recently.

You have got to give the opposition keepers some credit . I don't think I have been to one game this season where the keeper has not had at least one quality save.

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2016, 04:32 PM

If he was scoring more than he missed he would not be playing for Hibs. Even the top strikers miss chances or have shots saved.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Those dipping into the world of stats and specifically averages should acknowledge / be mindful of the flaw in this approach.

https://hbr.org/2002/11/the-flaw-of-averages

lapsedhibee
04-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Those dipping into the world of stats and specifically averages should acknowledge / be mindful of the flaw in this approach.
:agree: Most people have more than the average number of legs.

Andy74
04-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Or we provide teams with more straightforward opportunities.

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Or we provide teams with more straightforward opportunities.

The stats say we provide teams with very few opportunities it's just that when they do get one it goes in.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 05:41 PM
No it's not actually, his goals to one on one chances is very poor.

So our top scorer by miles is a poor finisher. Weird.

Hermit Crab
04-04-2016, 05:43 PM
So our top scorer by miles is a poor finisher. Weird.

His one on one conversion rate extremely poor, yes.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2016, 05:51 PM

Edit: This figure excludes Direct Free Kicks which are scored 6.6% of the time (1 in 15)

How many are scored following on from shots outside the box that have been blocked, deflected and saved but not held by keepers that result from goals inside the box?

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2016, 05:52 PM

Deary me.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 05:53 PM

Laughable.

Sergey
04-04-2016, 06:02 PM
How many are scored following on from shots outside the box that have been blocked, deflected and saved but not held by keepers that result from goals inside the box?

I dunno - that info wasn't available from the blurb I read.

A number of clubs do hire outside firms to provide them with detailed statistical information (Opta being one I know) that isn't available from the usual online open-source databases. I'm sure there will be information available, but I'm not privy to it and can't really be arsed trying to track it down as it probably isn't out there.

Hermit Crab
04-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Laughable.

Laugh away then.

Andy74
04-04-2016, 07:30 PM
The stats say we provide teams with very few opportunities it's just that when they do get one it goes in.

Yes and what I said is that the type of those opportunities may be more straightforward to finish so you can't read into it that the goalkeeper is the issue.

The Spaceman
04-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Honestly think a fit El Alagui is our best striker. Albeit we have rarely seen him, it seems every time he's on the pitch he is a total nuisance for defenders, he must have a good goal to game ratio for us?:confused: think him and Cummings would pair up well.

04-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Honestly think a fit El Alagui is our best striker. Albeit we have rarely seen him, it seems every time he's on the pitch he is a total nuisance for defenders, he must have a good goal to game ratio for us?:confused: think him and Cummings would pair up well.

I agree. I'd like to see him getting starts.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM

7 goals in 10 appearances is pretty good going. Hopefully he can stay fit for the play offs, I think he could really make the difference.

The Spaceman
04-04-2016, 09:27 PM
:aok: come on Farid, fire us back to where we belong.

Smartie
04-04-2016, 09:35 PM

Interesting stat.

Based on that figure Hearts are statistically unlikely to score against us with a shot from out side the box for the next 600 years as they've used up their quota in the past 2 seasons……..

lapsedhibee
06-04-2016, 08:01 AM
While at Bolton, Sam Allardyce would fine players if they took a shot from outside the box as the chances of scoring are so slim.

Stubbsy > Fat Sam

Heisenberg
06-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Who is the striker coach at EM, or don't we have one.

We did have one but he signed for York...:greengrin

greenlex
06-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Livi had two attempts last night with one on target. One goal.

Just Jimmy
06-04-2016, 08:51 AM
I watched an interview with Sir Alex the other day. He was talking about Harry Kane and when he was asked the Shearer question he said that like Shearer, Kane's biggest strength is his ability to hit the target or work the keeper.
That's our problem. We simple do not hit the target enough. Even the cup final, nothing we hit at goal was particularly hard for them to deal with. People keep going on about their shots verses ours but it's simple quality chances v quantity.
Give stokes and cummings quality chances and they will score.

hibsbollah
06-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Martin Boyle scored with 100% of his long range shots. So if we just keep giving him the ball around the edge of the box we should win every game 8 or 9 nil. :aok:

R'Albin
06-04-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm no fan of Oxley and think our strikers squander too many chances but I don't think these shots on target stats are anything to read into. Given that against almost every team in this division we will play higher up the pitch with lots of bodies from both sides in the opposition's half it's likely that the chances we have are more difficult to convert. The opposition will be more likely to hit us on the break meaning more space and the chances being more clear cut.

Famous Fyvie
06-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Look like Martin Boyle's been reading the forums.

Fergus52
06-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Deary me.

Cummings misses loads of good chances, just cause he's our top scorer it doesn't make him exempt from criticism

Thecat23
06-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Cummings misses loads of good chances, just cause he's our top scorer it doesn't make him exempt from criticism

Both Cummings and Stokes have recently missed many chances. If we'd taken half of them we'd win games by 3 or 4. It's crazy how some of them haven't gone in. Maybe getting the misses out the way for when we are in the play off games 😉

Shrekko
06-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I admit that I forget where I read this but I remember it being said (I think by Andy Roxburgh) that on average in pro football around the world a goal will be scored roughly per 9 attempts.

That would still suggest we dont score enough and concede too many based on chances created and conceded.

We dont create anywhere near enough scoring chances either considering our advantages over other teams.