PDA

View Full Version : joe harper & stokes . . parallels

Shanksaidno
03-04-2016, 01:04 PM
I remember when Harper signed . . Everyone was excited. What happened .. . We letjimmy o' rourke go (malonga gone) . . Results plummeted, dressing room spirit went down, couldn't score goals etc etc. Scary!!

Ozyhibby
03-04-2016, 01:16 PM
I remember when Harper signed . . Everyone was excited. What happened .. . We letjimmy o' rourke go (malonga gone) . . Results plummeted, dressing room spirit went down, couldn't score goals etc etc. Scary!!

Nope, don't think it's anything to do with Stokes.
We weren't scoring enough goals before he got here either. It's just that now we are shipping goals as well.

CentreLine
03-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Malonga was popular but not prolific. Whereas in 1973/4 we had the best strikeforce in Europe at the time with both JO' and AG in with a shout for the golden boot award. I can't remember many being excited at the prospect of Harper signing but certainly Stokes looked like a good bet from our starting position. And talking of starting positions, when JH signed we were riding high and could only fall. Sadly no similarity at all really to our current position.
I do wish so very much that we were discussing a threat to a free flowing diamond side with genuine stars and goal threats all over the pitch. I'd even take Joe Harper right now. He might have replaced my hero but at least he delivered goals, popular or not.
Stokes rhymes with Jokes for a reason I'm thinking

.Sean.
03-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that is a very interesting way of looking at it.

I for one would've loved to have kept Malonga, not signed Stokes and kept the squad as it was and I said as much at the time. Wonder how we'd have currently been faring had we not signed Stokes? Let's not forget although this board was in pretty much unanimous agreement that on paper he was a good signing plenty folk had reservations with his past misdemeanours and the baggage that follows him about. Where they right? Who knows but something's clearly rotten as we've nosedived in 'spectacular' fashion since the turn of the year. As I said though, all very good in hindsight.

Deansy
03-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Harper - imho, THE cause of the end of 'Turnbulls Tornadoes' !. Why Eddie Turnbull bought him is still beyond me when we had Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke ??

Onceinawhile
03-04-2016, 01:38 PM
I wasn't around in the Joe Harper days, but I don't think it's the fault of stokes that we've decided to give up on defending.

MickeyEdwards
03-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Harper - imho, THE cause of the end of 'Turnbulls Tornadoes' !. Why Eddie Turnbull bought him is still beyond me when we had Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke ??

Harper wasn't liked by the other players and even Pat Stanton "had words" with him from time to time, one particular exchange requiring Shades to separate the two of them!

Never liked the guy one bit!

ihibs7
03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Liked or not - Harper scored 50 goals for Hibs in 99 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
03-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Whether you liked him or not Harper scored goals at level we are not likely to ever see at ER again. His goal and the move leading up to it, Arthur Duncan's perfect cross, against Liverpool will always be remember by me as one of the best scored at ER.
Stokes is doing the job he was brought to do, others around him are not.

hibby6270
03-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Turnbull bought him because he rated him. He had managed him at Aberdeen before he became our manager and was 'doing a job' for the Dons before we signed him.

You're right though. He never really fitted in.

That said 2 highlights still stick in my mind of JH.
1) His goal against Liverpool in that 1-0 win at Easter Road. Ah European football. Them were the days.
2) His hat trick in League Cup Final in the 6-3 defeat against Celtic. Only player ever to score a hat trick in a final and be on losing side. Damn you Dixie Deans that day.

Harper wasn't a bad player. Just a player who maybe didn't fit in to the team philosophy at the time. And that is maybe where the Stokes comparison is true.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Whether you liked him or not Harper scored goals at level we are not likely to ever see at ER again. His goal and the move leading up to it, Arthur Duncan's perfect cross, against Liverpool will always be remember by me as one of the best scored at ER.
Stokes is doing the job he was brought to do, others around him are not.

He most certainly is not. He shat it from every 50/50 yesterday, his first touch was terrible and passing was awful, his only saving grace was that he set up the equaliser for Farid.

Lago
03-04-2016, 02:18 PM
He most certainly is not. He shat it from every 50/50 yesterday, his first touch was terrible and passing was awful, his only saving grace was that he set up the equaliser for Farid.
Ok if you say so, assume you were there, maybe not looking to get injured before the Eruos.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Ok if you say so, assume you were there, maybe not looking to get injured before the Eruos.

Yes I was at the game. The crowd were howling for him to be subbed after 60 minutes as he'd done nothing at all. He's a Hibs player, **** the euros, if every player had that attitude Leicester would no be winning that league as Vardy wouldn't want to get injured for the Euros.

Tom Hart RIP
03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Turnbull bought him because he rated him. He had managed him at Aberdeen before he became our manager and was 'doing a job' for the Dons before we signed him.

1) His goal against Liverpool in that 1-0 win at Easter Road. Ah European football. Them were the days.
2) His hat trick in League Cup Final in the 6-3 defeat against Celtic. Only player ever to score a hat trick in a final and be on losing side. Damn you Dixie Deans that day.

Harper wasn't a bad player. Just a player who maybe didn't fit in to the team philosophy at the time. And that is maybe where the Stokes comparison is true.

Agreed. Didn't he also score a 30 yarder against Hearts. In hindsight tho a poor signing as the last thing we needed was a goal scorer. For half the cost we could have brought Roughie and didn't Gordon McQueen go to Leeds around that time for 15k??

Lago
03-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Yes I was at the game. The crowd were howling for him to be subbed after 60 minutes as he'd done nothing at all. He's a Hibs player, **** the euros, if every player had that attitude Leicester would no be winning that league as Vardy wouldn't want to get injured for the Euros.
Just as well he didn't get subbed then as we would have probably been looking at 5 defeats on the bounce, I suppose thats the difference between being the Manager and in the crowd.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Just as well he didn't get subbed then as we would have probably been looking at 5 defeats on the bounce, I suppose thats the difference between being the Manager and in the crowd.

No, Cummings missed yet another one on one with the goalie at 2-1, long be for we equalised.

Lago
03-04-2016, 02:31 PM
No, Cummings missed yet another one on one with the goalie at 2-1, long be for we equalised.
And were the crowd howling for his substitution ?

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:32 PM
And were the crowd howling for his substitution ?

Yes there were shouts of get him off, were you at the game?

Lago
03-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Yes there were shouts of get him off, were you at the game?
No I wasn't at the game, I watched my son in laws team, Lochgelly Albert, against Kirkcaldy YM, local derby and good value for money, I am afraid my days of travelling to away games are long past, unfortunately.

Alfred E Newman
03-04-2016, 06:00 PM

For what it's worth I liked Harper as a player. It wasn't his fault Turnbull decided to break up the tornadoes after the Hadjuk Split defeat.

Lago
03-04-2016, 06:56 PM
:top marks
For what it's worth I liked Harper as a player. It wasn't his fault Turnbull decided to break up the tornadoes after the Hadjuk Split defeat.

brog
03-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Just to correct some of the myths or inaccuracies re the Joe Harper signing.
1. There was huge excitement at the Harper signing, it was a Scottish record at the time. The first game at Brockville was a lock out, 12,500 crowd.
2. Alan Gordon was the player dropped for Joe H. He came on as sub alongside Joe H & Jim O.
3. Neither AG or Jim O were in contention for the Golden Boot in 73/74. AG certainly was in 72/73 until the last 2 months of the season. Jim O scored 34 goals in 72/73 but 50% of those were not in the league.
4. AG & Joe H are the only 2 Hibs players with a better than 50% scoring record since Joe Baker.

Having said that the OP makes an interesting point but I think the main difference is Dom wanted to go & AS acted quickly to replace him, Ned actively recruited a player he greatly admired as he thought he was the final piece in the league winning jigsaw. It didn't work but it wasn't all Harper's fault & it's hard to fault Turnbull for showing ambition.

ehf
03-04-2016, 08:22 PM

Rubbish.

Alfred E Newman
03-04-2016, 08:31 PM
1. There was huge excitement at the Harper signing, it was a Scottish record at the time. The first game at Brockville was a lock out, 12,500 crowd.
2. Alan Gordon was the player dropped for Joe H. He came on as sub alongside Joe H & Jim O.
3. Neither AG or Jim O were in contention for the Golden Boot in 73/74. AG certainly was in 72/73 until the last 2 months of the season. Jim O scored 34 goals in 72/73 but 50% of those were not in the league.
4. AG & Joe H are the only 2 Hibs players with a better than 50% scoring record since Joe Baker.

Having said that the OP makes an interesting point but I think the main difference is Dom wanted to go & AS acted quickly to replace him, Ned actively recruited a player he greatly admired as he thought he was the final piece in the league winning jigsaw. It didn't work but it wasn't all Harper's fault & it's hard to fault Turnbull for showing ambition.
Very good summary.
There was no doubt who was the "big" club in those days and though it didn't work out, Hibs showed great ambition in bringing Harper to the club. For the benefit of the younger members £120000 then would be equivalent to Hibs paying 5 or 6 million now.

hibsboy69
03-04-2016, 08:34 PM
When I watched the highlights from yesterday it struck me that Stokes isn't in the best of shape, he still looks a tad heavy to me.

So in that respect I can see similarities to Joe Harper ! :tee hee:

Edson Arantes
03-04-2016, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=Shanksaidno;4635770]I remember when Harper signed . . Everyone was excited. What happened .. . We letjimmy o' rourke go (malonga gone) . . Results plummeted, dressing room spirit went down, couldn't score goals etc etc. Scary!![/QUOTE

Just out of interest here..

how did you choose your username?

Just wondering like. :confused:

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Rubbish.

Thats your opinion.

cmcd
03-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Good post but I would argue that Neil Martin's goals to games ratio was as good if not better

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 09:19 PM
I remember reading an interview with Harper, who certainly doesn't seem short of self confidence shall we say, in which he stated he was as frustrated as anyone with his time at Hibs. He said that he signed to play with the tornadoes not to be the catalyst for them being split up. He said he was frustrated when he saw good players he wanted to play with being moved on and replaced with inferior quality.

cmcd
03-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Good post but I would argue that Neil Martin's goals to games ratio was as good if not better

Neil Martin played 114 games for Hibs and scored 86 goals

Edson Arantes
03-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Some record.

superfurryhibby
03-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Some record. I think I read that Neil Martin only managed one cap for Scotland. Incredible.

There is no comparison in resoect of Harper and Stokes. Ludicrous nonsense but I always enjoy memories from that era. Turnbull would have been better buying a keeper, as some have commented. Quite bizarre given the goals scored by the Gordon and O'Rourke.

Colr
03-04-2016, 11:19 PM

I saw Harper score 5 goals in a game. Looking forward to Stokes doing the same although its getting a bit late in the day now, eh no?

ben johnson
03-04-2016, 11:31 PM

If El Al had been given a full 45 minutes there might have been a different outcome altogether. A win. I was hoping for a lot more from Stokes than a cut back into the box to save us. His one on one with Langfield and very weak shot from the edge of the box stick out. Stokes of old would have buried both chances.

HappyHanlon
04-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Good view and it's one I thought about a few weeks back.

snooky
04-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I remember reading an interview with Harper, who certainly doesn't seem short of self confidence shall we say, in which he stated he was as frustrated as anyone with his time at Hibs. He said that he signed to play with the tornadoes not to be the catalyst for them being split up. He said he was frustrated when he saw good players ...... being moved on and replaced with inferior quality.
Sadly Joe, that's exactly how I felt when you came and Alan & Jimmy got punted.

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Sadly Joe, that's exactly how I felt when you came and Alan & Jimmy got punted.

Harper was one of Scotland's 1st choice strikers when he signed.

brog
04-04-2016, 02:15 PM
I saw Harper score 5 goals in a game. Looking forward to Stokes doing the same although its getting a bit late in the day now, eh no?

That was a friendly against either Nijmegen or Maastricht IIRC. Still a fine achievement but needs to be put into perspective.

snooky
04-04-2016, 02:19 PM

I know, but it didn't alter the way I felt then - and still feel now.

brog
04-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Quite right, I can't believe I missed out Neil who was one of my fav players & who I enjoyed a long chat with at a London Hibs Burns Night. Fine player & a great foil for the more creative skills of Peter Cormack & Willie Hamilton.

cmcd
04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Quite right, I can't believe I missed out Neil who was one of my fav players & who I enjoyed a long chat with at a London Hibs Burns Night. Fine player & a great foil for the more creative skills of Peter Cormack & Willie Hamilton.

Yes Brog Neil was a fantastic player. Willie Hamilton is my all time favourite player. I did see most of the famous 5 but too young to see and appreciate them all together Had the pleasure of speaking to Pat Stanton a few years ago and he told me Willie was the best he played with

inglisavhibs
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM

He was however nowhere near match fit when he arrived,. First game at Brockville where Hibs fans filled nearly the whole ground finished 0-0 and Joe never got a kick. Unless my memory is playing tricks I seem to remember him taking quite a while to get going at Easter Road. I think it's also fair to say that Jimmy O'rourke was a better partner for Gordon as his work rate was excellent.

Baldy Foghorn
04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
The formation is not helping Stokes or Cummings IMO. They are getting limited service, and both having to roam the park and touchlines, to get some of the ball......We should be setting up with these two in and around penalty area only, they will score goals, but they won't if they are wide left or right?

Lago
04-04-2016, 04:34 PM
:top marks
The formation is not helping Stokes or Cummings IMO. They are getting limited service, and both having to roam the park and touchlines, to get some of the ball......We should be setting up with these two in and around penalty area only, they will score goals, but they won't if they are wide left or right?