PDA

View Full Version : Why is Oxley Still In Goal?

Pages : [1] 2

Hibby 2005
03-04-2016, 07:19 AM
It's a genuine question.

I've just seen the goals we conceded yesterday. The first one most keepers would have come off their line when the ball was up in the air and collected it, the 2nd, while well hit, was saveable.

We now have genuine competition for an area of the team that is suspect but Stubbs seems to be cutting off his nose to spite his face with his reluctance to replace the goalkeeper.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Probably because Stubbs believes he is the best keeper at the club?

easty
03-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Every goal Hibs concede has someone on here blaiming Oxley, and telling us another keeper would have saved it. I wish we had this other keeper, we'd no have conceded a goal this season, prob be top of the league and would have won the cup. Stubbs has real questions to answer about why we keep going with Oxley ahead of another keeper who's obviously brilliant.

hibbytam
03-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Every goal Hibs concede has someone on here blaiming Oxley, and telling us another keeper would have saved it. I wish we had this other keeper, we'd no have conceded a goal this season, prob be top of the league and would have won the cup. Stubbs has real questions to answer about why we keep going with Oxley ahead of another keeper who's obviously brilliant.

But you have to admit our shots to goals against is horrendous. Normally seems the opposition score with their only shot.
Whereas the goalie against us always seems to play a blinder.

Stokesy's on fire
03-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Who is Mark Oxley? I thought we had Scape Goat in goals yesterday?

Keith_M
03-04-2016, 07:58 AM
But you have to admit our shots to goals against is horrendous. Normally seems the opposition score with their only shot.

I don't know if it's a mistaken perception but the opposition in games I've watched do seem to convert a much higher proportion of their chances than we do.

For instance, we had so many chances in the second half of the LC Final then County just seemed to run up the other end and score with relative ease.

Whether that is down to the keeper or the defence (or even the profligacy of our strikers), I'll leave that for others that attend much more regularly than I do, but I'd like to see if the statistics back up that assertion.

Nicho87
03-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Marl Oxley is an average goalie in an average team sadly we can do alot better and probably alot worse.
Cant remember the last time he saved us points. Ben Williams for me.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 08:01 AM
The problem with Oxley now is that there can be absolutely no serious debate about him.

There are those who will criticise him for everything, that's passing no comment on yesterday as I haven't seen the goals yet. They will see what they want to see and lay the blame of almost every goal we lose at his door, Raiths equaliser last week is a good example as there is no way he was to blame. The flip side of course is those who react by labelling all criticism of him as being 'scapegoating' or the work of 'morons' and will put up ridiculus defences even when he has made an error.

It's just another topic on here in which any real debate has been totally stifled because people take entrenched positions and simply refuse to budge.

Waxy
03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
If we'd payed a bit more we would have got the real Mark Oxley instead of the hologram version.Might have been better with Joe Butterfingers? I'm just kidding around.He doesn't seem to stop much though does he? Or be commanding at crosses? Part from that he's an ok goalie.

greenginger
03-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Has the new goalie been keeping active since his last club, or is he starting from couch-potato mode ?

Onion
03-04-2016, 08:47 AM

:agree: Reasonable to ask questions about Oxley. We're not talking about a single event or blunder but a definite pattern that's emerged. Also, cannot remember the last time he saved our skins in a game or made a telling contribution.

FamousSix
03-04-2016, 08:48 AM
As we have such a poor keeper, it seems strange that rangers have conceded one goals less than us and Falkirk have conceded the same number of goals. Though not an Oxley fan, it does not appear that he is the problem.

Our main problem all season has been the inability to covert chances by our forwards and mid field. Basically we do not put teams away, even although we usually have most possesion. This is generally due to slow build.

Goals win games not possession as the lesser teams have shown in recent games.

SJM
03-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Genuinely no idea what anyone sees in him. He must get emptied in the summer and the blue square awaits him. Tony Caigs love child.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2016, 10:04 AM
Has anyone seen the ICT keepers attempt at both goals yesterday? :faf:

lapsedhibee
03-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Has anyone seen the ICT keepers attempt at both goals yesterday? :faf:

http://www.footballtube.com/videos/inverness-1-2-motherwell--scottish-premiership-highlights--2-4-2016

Stickiest-on pen I've seen in a while.

hibbytam
03-04-2016, 10:40 AM
As we have such a poor keeper, it seems strange that rangers have conceded one goals less than us and Falkirk have conceded the same number of goals. Though not an Oxley fan, it does not appear that he is the problem.

Our main problem all season has been the inability to covert chances by our forwards and mid field. Basically we do not put teams away, even although we usually have most possesion. This is generally due to slow build.

I agree that our lack of goals is a major issue, which can only increase the pressure on the defence. I just feel it's odd that we seem to lose/draw to the only shot(s) that they have on target. I mean they can't all be unstoppable top drawer strikes.

itslegaltender
03-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Surely we should be giving the keeper for the semi final a run of games? Tuesday night should defiantly see Oxley dropped.

SJM
03-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Surely we should be giving the keeper for the semi final a run of games? Tuesday night should defiantly see Oxley dropped.

You would hope so. But I can't see it.

Keith_M
03-04-2016, 11:23 AM

I think it's a fair question.

Oxley isn't the level of GK that anyone would consider undroppable so why not give the other guy a chance and see what he can do.

If it turns out the other guy isn't as good as Ox, then it at least answers one question.

Penicuik Hibee
03-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Positive comment - I have not seen a better keeper with the ball at his feet. His kicking is excellent

Crosses - he scares the life out of me.

Shot stopping - always seems to almost get there but never quite makes it. Had a few good saves in games like the Morton match (despite the score), but has made some awful mistakes (like Falkirk at home). Would like to see his shots v saves stats and compare with other keepers

For the record - he seems a top bloke and I really want him to do well and win us a few points for us or better still, play a blinder in the final if we get there. He must have something as Stubbs and Combe stick with him. I really hope he has a great end to the season and proves all the doubters wrong (including me).

GordonHFC
03-04-2016, 11:33 AM
We all have our opinions and I respect everyone's opinion. Mine is that he is murder. I fear everytime the opposition get within 25 yards of our goal, not a good shot stopper and never leaves his line at corners. This is not a recently formed opinion as it was there long before we signed him on a permanent deal.

SJM
03-04-2016, 11:45 AM
We all have our opinions and I respect everyone's opinion. Mine is that he is murder. I fear everytime the opposition get within 25 yards of our goal, not a good shot stopper and never leaves his line at corners. This is not a recently formed opinion as it was there long before we signed him on a permanent deal.

I wonder how the defence feel about playing in front him also?

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
The problem with Oxley now is that there can be absolutely no serious debate about him.

There are those who will criticise him for everything, that's passing no comment on yesterday as I haven't seen the goals yet. They will see what they want to see and lay the blame of almost every goal we lose at his door, Raiths equaliser last week is a good example as there is no way he was to blame. The flip side of course is those who react by labelling all criticism of him as being 'scapegoating' or the work of 'morons' and will put up ridiculus defences even when he has made an error.

It's just another topic on here in which any real debate has been totally stifled because people take entrenched positions and simply refuse to budge.

The ones who obviously deem it politically correct to defend him are becoming embarrassing. The fact that some of them class fans who don't rate him as 'morons' is even worse. Not much debate there! They claim he keeps us in games but can't name them, that he is 'steady', that we have 'had worse', that other defenders are to blame etc etc etc

He doesn't deal with crosses, he doesn't make saves, his positional sense is awful, he lacks bravery, his handling is poor, he flaps- these are not things I've decided to make up because I don't like the guy. The evidence is there that we lose a lot of goals and he rarely makes out of the ordinary interventions. If people are happy with him and confident that we'll achieve what we want to with him then fine.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 11:51 AM
What he should do more of is shout at his defenders when we let a goal in. It makes folk that don't really know what they're talking about think it was the defences fault.

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 11:54 AM
What he should do more of is shout at his defenders when we let a goal in. It makes folk that don't really know what they're talking about think it was the defences fault.

Nobody knows anything about football apart from Oxley's defenders.

SJM
03-04-2016, 11:55 AM
The ones who obviously deem it politically correct to defend him are becoming embarrassing. The fact that some of them class fans who don't rate him as 'morons' is even worse. Not much debate there! They claim he keeps us in games but can't name them, that he is 'steady', that we have 'had worse', that other defenders are to blame etc etc etc

He doesn't deal with crosses, he doesn't make saves, his positional sense is awful, he lacks bravery, his handling is poor, he flaps- these are not things I've decided to make up because I don't like the guy. The evidence is there that we lose a lot of goals and he rarely makes out of the ordinary interventions. If people are happy with him and confident that we'll achieve what we want to with him then fine.

Spot on 👍

SJM

He should learn by his mistakes and make sure they don't happen again never mind regularly.

Danderhall Hibs
Nobody knows anything about football apart from Oxley's defenders.

:agree: As they proved in the cup final.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 11:56 AM
He should learn by his mistakes and make sure they don't happen again never mind regularly.

:agree: as should everyone in the team.

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 11:57 AM
:agree: As they proved in the cup final.
I'm talking about his 'supporters'.

Borderhibbie76
03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
I've defended him for a while but the 1st goal yesterday is deffo his fault and highlights his inability to command his 6 yard box. Did have a chat with the guy next to me and we wondered if stubbs/combe tell him to stay rooted to his line in such situations as he does it all the time without retribution in being dropped?? Apart from the obvious refereeing error, had he one and commanded his 6 yard line properly, we would never have conceded that 1st goal yesterday. At that time we were dominating the match

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SJM
03-04-2016, 11:59 AM
:agree: as should everyone in the team.

I think at his stage of his career is more vital for the guy to stop making basic errors and work on the flaws in his game though. He never comes for crosses, his positional sense and many set pieces in particular is horrendous. There has been no improvement in any aspect of his game and is the main weak link in our side and gets targeted for it.

jane_says
03-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Best post re Oxley I have seen on this site. His distribution is excellent (kicking and early throws) and his communication is decent with the two centre halfs, however he doesn't seem to make many excellent saves and he scares the life out of me when the ball goes high into the box.
Oxley is by no means the best goalie we've had but by a million miles not the worst.

matty_f
03-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm talking about his 'supporters'.

Don't we all support him?

truehibernian
03-04-2016, 12:26 PM

I've been a critic but take yesterday's goals - he wasn't at fault for either of them for me. First was a combination of weak clearing headers and standing still, second was not tracking runners in the channels (again) - this time Lewis.

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Yeah it was a clarification- I'd initially used the word 'defenders' which was misinterpreted. Not sure what other word/s to use- his 'hibs.net defenders'?

For the avoidance of doubt I support him 100 percent at games. That doesn't make me blind to his many flaws and I'm getting increasingly frustrated at how stubborn people are over him- mainly Alan Stubbs.

GlesgaeHibby
03-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Question for those that rate Oxley. How many games have you walked away from thinking he played a blinder and kept us in it?

Makalambay was murder and prone to a fairly regular serious gaffe, but he also had his moments where he was pulling off great saves that kept us in games.

SJM
03-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Question for those that rate Oxley. How many games have you walked away from thinking he played a blinder and kept us in it?

Makalambay was murder and prone to a fairly regular serious gaffe, but he also had his moments where he was pulling off great saves that kept us in games.

He also had a massive fan club that could do no wrong with.

mcfly
03-04-2016, 12:39 PM
It's a genuine question.

I've just seen the goals we conceded yesterday. The first one most keepers would have come off their line when the ball was up in the air and collected it, the 2nd, while well hit, was saveable.

We now have genuine competition for an area of the team that is suspect but Stubbs seems to be cutting off his nose to spite his face with his reluctance to replace the goalkeeper.

Every week it's blame oxley......

What about the midfield who rarely score goals??

Why can't we kill off a team when in front??

Goals win games and we don't score enough!!!

SJM
03-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Every week it's blame oxley......

What about the midfield who rarely score goals??

Why can't we kill off a team when in front??

Goals win games and we don't score enough!!!

So we aren't allowed to critisize him then?
He was at fault for the first and should have saved the second. A decent goalie would have. Are we not allowed to say that?
Every week is the same because he makes mistakes every game.

03-04-2016, 12:48 PM
With the semi coming up where Oxley is out i was surprised Stubbs didn't give the other keepers a chance.

seanshow
03-04-2016, 12:50 PM
The goal scored against us away to Dumbarton a month ago in which Oxley got crucified on here, Nade had a free header as he wasn't marked. if you look at the second goal yesterday again we are not tracking runners from a knock down, in both cases the defender in question was Paul Hanlon. :rolleyes:

Oxley does not escape criticism from me, but if you don't respect the opposition, mark opponents, and track runners you will be punished.
We have been suspect of this all season, and it caught up with us starting Morton@ ER about 6 weeks ago gone and its down hill since.

trev the hat
03-04-2016, 01:03 PM
With the semi coming up where Oxley is out i was surprised Stubbs didn't give the other keepers a chance.

I asked AS on Thurs if any of the other 2 keepers would get game time before the semi, he rightly said each game is as important as the semi & he indicated there would be game time.
I reckon Otso will be between the sticks on Tues

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2016, 01:24 PM
In the cup final and the Morton game Gordon Banks ( who I have seen play BTW ) couldn't have prevented the goals, Oxley was horribly exposed for 4 out of the 5 ...... there isn't many goals he has conceded where you couldn't point at the defence too.

In my opinion Oxley is a bang average keeper, but in recent years that is exactly the type of keeper clubs like Hibs are most likely to attract, name me a keeper currently playing in Scotland who could be described as brilliant? ...... a top form Craig Gordon maybe.

But there is one thing about Oxley that I cant see:

Bang average or not, most keepers have that one or two games in them where the opposition fans and manager are left shaking their heads as the custodian at the other end has that one game in a hundred where he is unbeatable, where he get to cross after cross and stops shot after shot with his hands, his feet, his face. I always thought if we were to win the Scottish cup that is the sort of performance we would need to see from a Hibs keeper in the final .......... when I look at Mark Oxley I just don't ever see him having a performance like that in him.

SJM
03-04-2016, 01:26 PM
There are plenty keepers in Scotland that are better than Oxley, plenty.
Thankfully, one of them is being sounded out as his replacement depending on the other options he has.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 01:31 PM
In the cup final and the Morton game Gordon Banks ( who I have seen play BTW ) couldn't have prevented the goals, Oxley was horribly exposed for 4 out of the 5 ...... there isn't many goals he has conceded where you couldn't point at the defence too.

In my opinion Oxley is a bang average keeper, but in recent years that is exactly the type of keeper clubs like Hibs are most likely to attract, name me a keeper currently playing in Scotland who could be described as brilliant? ...... a top form Craig Gordon maybe.

But there is one thing about Oxley that I cant see:

Bang average or not, most keepers have that one or two games in them where the opposition fans and manager are left shaking their heads as the custodian at the other end has that one game in a hundred where he is unbeatable, where he get to cross after cross and stops shot after shot with his hands, his feet, his face. I always thought if we were to win the Scottish cup that is the sort of performance we would need to see from a Hibs keeper in the final .......... when I look at Mark Oxley I just don't ever see him having a performance like that in him.

Oxley was horribly at fault for the 2nd goal in the Morton game. He dropped a cross right at the strikers feet. There were numerous failings before the ball made it that far of course but the keeper is there to act as the last line of defence.

bingo70
03-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Oxley was horribly at fault for the 2nd goal in the Morton game. He dropped a cross right at the strikers feet. There were numerous failings before the ball made it that far of course but the keeper is there to act as the last line of defence.

The suggestion a keeper shouldn't get criticised because others were at fault before it got to that stage infuriates me. That's exactly the purpose of having a keeper!

The nature of goalkeeping is that if you make a mistake then the other team will score and you'll get criticised, I'd also say it's a lot more understandable for an outfield player to make a mistake.

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 01:40 PM
The suggestion a keeper shouldn't get criticised because others were at fault before it got to that stage infuriates me. That's exactly the purpose of having a keeper!

The nature of goalkeeping is that if you make a mistake then the other team will score and you'll get criticised, I'd also say it's a lot more understandable for an outfield player to make a mistake.

Which makes being the keeper even more difficult. A keeper makes a mistake usually results in a goal! Strikers miss chances all the time but get let off. For me it's a team game and as much as Oxley has his faults so does our defence and even midfield at times.

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2016, 01:48 PM

So he did. My post wasn't a defence of Oxley, if anything he doesn't inspire much emotion in me at all, I don't hate him, but I don't exactly go 'yes' when I see his name on the team sheet either .... he is a long way from irreplaceable and if I get to ER on Tuesday and see Virtanen's or even Logan's name on the team sheet in place of his I wont exactly burst into tears.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Thankfully, one of them is being sounded out as his replacement depending on the other options he has.

Who? :confused:

bingo70
03-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Which makes being the keeper even more difficult. A keeper makes a mistake usually results in a goal! Strikers miss chances all the time but get let off. For me it's a team game and as much as Oxley has his faults so does our defence and even midfield at times.

of course our defence and midfield have faults, that's why we need a good keeper.

Do you really think there's no difference between a striker missing a chance and a keeper having a clanger causing a goal?

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2016, 01:57 PM

People always say there are plenty of better keepers than whoever happens to be the current Hibs keeper, some even say there are literally loads of them in England. Funny how we never seem to find a keeper that is good enough for us.

sleeping giant
03-04-2016, 02:02 PM

I'm sure I heard on here that we had been sniffing about the Hamilton keeper but I just heard on the radio that Aberdeen are interested.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm sure I heard on here that we had been sniffing about the Hamilton keeper but I just heard on the radio that Aberdeen are interested.

The same Hamilton keeper that conceded 3 today and 7 and Parkhead? :greengrin To be fair he did keep the score to respectable level today.

sleeping giant
03-04-2016, 02:12 PM
The same Hamilton keeper that conceded 3 today and 7 and Parkhead? :greengrin To be fair he did keep the score to respectable level today.

Aye :greengrin

I know nothing about him really though. Can't even mind his name or who suggested we were interested .

Not much help at all really eh

Bobo
03-04-2016, 02:13 PM
For me Oxley is poor in almost every aspect of his game, with the exception of his kicking and distribution, this was pretty evident last season so I was surprised and disappointed that he was offered a permanent deal at the start of the season.

His shot stopping is chronic, ably abetted by his poor positional sense and lack of command in his area. For a big guy he's a bit of a Jessie and lacks the bravery and desire that most decent keepers have but it's his lack of shot stopping that has cost us dearly. Looking at some of games we've conceded goals in you can see how bad it is e.g. In 4 games v Rangers they had 18 shots on target and scored with 12, in 2 games v Dumbarton they have 7 shots on target and score with 5, Raith Rovers in 2 games have 4 shots on target and score with 3

More often than not the oppositions first or only shot on target is conceded, it's happened so often it's frightening!

Obviously Oxley's not only to blame, our defenders could and should be more commanding and the whole team to be honest is far too laboured and negative in their approach in matches. There's still something lacking with their mentality, apologetic and lacking belief too often in matches that count, shouldn't be happening IMO. Many will no doubt disagree with me but that's my tuppence worth. ☹️

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:17 PM
For me Oxley is poor in almost every aspect of his game, with the exception of his kicking and distribution, this was pretty evident last season so I was surprised and disappointed that he was offered a permanent deal at the start of the season.

His shot stopping is chronic, ably abetted by his poor positional sense and lack of command in his area. For a big guy he's a bit of a Jessie and lacks the bravery and desire that most decent keepers have but it's his lack of shot stopping that has cost us dearly. Looking at some of games we've conceded goals in you can see how bad it is e.g. In 4 games v Rangers they had 18 shots on target and scored with 12, in 2 games v Dumbarton they have 7 shots on target and score with 5, Raith Rovers in 2 games have 4 shots on target and score with 3

More often than not the oppositions first or only shot on target is conceded, it's happened so often it's frightening!

Obviously Oxley's not only to blame, our defenders could and should be more commanding and the whole team to be honest is far to laboured and negative in their approach in matches. There's still something lacking with their mentality, apologetic and lacking belief too often in matches that count, shouldn't be happening IMO. Many will no doubt disagree with me but that's my tuppence worth. ☹️

Yesterday he was taking a goal kick and waved the players over to the right hand side of the pitch (as we were looking at it) he then preceded to kick it to the left hand side straight to a St Mirren player cheaply giving the ball away.... His distribution is terrible and he's too slow at releasing the ball to players in a good position to start a counter attack.

St Mirren scored both goals with their first two shots on target, so did Dumbarton (3), so did Morton (3), so did Qos (1) and that came on 81 minutes, the same with Raith Rovers (2)

silverhibee
03-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Lets hope the goalkeeper who plays in the semi final doesn't read .net, he will be f***ing terrified to make a single mistake and will be a bag of nerves knowing if he does he will get slaughtered on here for letting a goal or 2 in.

Deary me.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Yesterday he was taking a goal kick and waved the players over to the right hand side of the pitch (as we were looking at it) he then preceded to kick it to the left hand side straight to a St Mirren player cheaply giving the ball away.... His distribution is terrible and he's too slow at releasing the ball to players in a good position to start a counter attack.

St Mirren scored both goals with their first two shots on target, so did Dumbarton (3), so did Morton (3), so did Qos (1) and that came on 81 minutes, the same with Raith Rovers (2)

I see you're still not acknowledging the saves he makes? I pointed out the ones in the Morton match at the time but you couldn't remember them.

Kind of makes me wonder how valid the rest of your claim is. Unfortunately folk are reading this stuff and repeating it.

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 02:28 PM
of course our defence and midfield have faults, that's why we need a good keeper.

Do you really think there's no difference between a striker missing a chance and a keeper having a clanger causing a goal?

That's what I'm saying, we seem to add pressure in our keepers if they have a bad game. A striker can go 4 or 5 games and it's a dry spell. A keeper makes one mistake and then it's "oh look another **** Hibs keeper."

Oxley has been suspect for us a couple of times no doubt about it, he's also done well this season when we went on our unbeaten run. Keepers thrive on confidence and I'd hate to ever be a Hibs keeper these days that's for sure.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I think at his stage of his career is more vital for the guy to stop making basic errors and work on the flaws in his game though. He never comes for crosses, his positional sense and many set pieces in particular is horrendous. There has been no improvement in any aspect of his game and is the main weak link in our side and gets targeted for it.

Start a sack Alan Combe thread as well?

I miss the Gordon Marshall threads.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:31 PM
I see you're still not acknowledging the saves he makes? I pointed out the ones in the Morton match at the time but you couldn't remember them.

Kind of makes me wonder how valid the rest of your claim is. Unfortunately folk are reading this stuff and repeating it.

Oxley is as poor as Zibi and the first two things he had to do yesterday was pick the ball out his net, thats been a pattern in the last few months... If you were at the game you would have seen that. He never moved for the first and the second was at the other end so hard to tell if he could have done better although it looked like the boy took his shot from near enough the bye line...

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Oxley is as poor as Zibi and the first two things he had to do yesterday was pick the ball out his net, thats been a pattern in the last few months... If you were at the game you would have seen that. He never moved for the first and the second was at the other end so hard to tell if he could have done better although it looked like the boy took his shot from near enough the bye line...

If you think he was as bad as Zibi it just backs up what I think of your opinion.

I don't think any keeper will ever be as bad as him. It has had an effect on how a lot of our fans react to our goalies though.

bingo70
03-04-2016, 02:35 PM

The fact you can remember his saves tells a story unfortunately IMO.

St mirrens second goal yesterday sums him up to me, not an obvious howler, I just don't think he's very good. A good shot stopper would have saved it.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 02:36 PM
The fact you can remember his saves tells a story unfortunately IMO.

St mirrens second goal yesterday sums him up to me, not an obvious howler, I just don't think he's very good. A good shot stopper would have saved it.

Not sure what you mean? Shouldn't we remember saves?

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:36 PM
If you think he was as bad as Zibi it just backs up what I think of your opinion.

I don't think any keeper will ever be as bad as him. It has had an effect on how a lot of our fans react to our goalies though.

Our last decent keeper was Daniel Andersson and we let him go. Now I'm not bothered what you think of my opinion, if you're happy to settle for second best, oh so nears and sub standard goalkeepers every season then that's up to you. This site is all about opinions and nobody has to agree with them all.

LithgaeHibby
03-04-2016, 02:37 PM
The way I see it, Oxley has had a drop in confidence and this is evident the way he hesitates to come for crosses and palms shots away rather than holding on to them. But Oxley's not the only one who's going through a rough patch. It's kind of bizarre that so many players are going through a dip in form just now, especially considering the quality we've got in the side. I actually think that Oxley, when on his game, is a good keeper, and certainly better than a lot of the dross we've had in the past 10 years.

leggeto
03-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Probably the same reason mowbery stuck with zibi,what ever that is

leggeto
03-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Our last decent keeper was Daniel Andersson and we let him go. Now I'm not bothered what you think of my opinion, if you're happy to settle for second best, oh so nears and sub standard goalkeepers every season then that's up to you. This site is all about opinions and nobody has to agree with them all.

Anderson was good but thought Ben Williams was better,we would have been relegated far sooner if not for him

SJM
03-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Anderson got offered a lot more money back home.

What Stubbs sees in Oxley certainly reminds me of what Mowbray seen in Zibbi.

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Time to come out this thread.. Surely to god we aren't comparing Ox to Zibi?? Now I get why folk have a go at him at times but come on that's taking it to a new level.

SJM
03-04-2016, 02:44 PM
The way I see it, Oxley has had a drop in confidence and this is evident the way he hesitates to come for crosses and palms shots away rather than holding on to them. But Oxley's not the only one who's going through a rough patch. It's kind of bizarre that so many players are going through a dip in form just now, especially considering the quality we've got in the side. I actually think that Oxley, when on his game, is a good keeper, and certainly better than a lot of the dross we've had in the past 10 years.

You ask the majority of other fans what they think of our goalie in terms of the other players in our side and you will find the answer. Absolute guaranteed no other set of fans sit there and go "that Oxley is a keeper, saving us a certain goal again"

hibby6270

Absolutely 100% spot on. And this is where the 'scape goat' thoughts come in.
Don't get me wrong, he has made some howlers and bad decisions - but - they are insignificant in comparison to our so called super strikers and classy midfield to convert the loads of chances and shots at goal we manufacture in games.

We are just not clinical enough in front of the opposition's goals. That's why we are in the position we are this season. It's not all Oxley's fault.

Although he has contributed with some mistakes, they would go relatively unnoticed if our front 6 had scored a greater ratio of goals versus there shots to goal or shots on target.

Danderhall Hibs
Anderson got offered a lot more money back home.

What Stubbs sees in Oxley certainly reminds me of what Mowbray seen in Zibbi.

Loyalty? Definitely nowhere near the same number of mistakes made. Not even close no matter how many times you try and say it.

SJM
03-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Northern Irish goalie.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Time to come out this thread.. Surely to god we aren't comparing Ox to Zibi?? Now I get why folk have a go at him at times but come on that's taking it to a new level.

Absolutely.

SJM
03-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Loyalty? Definitely nowhere near the same number of mistakes made. Not even close no matter how many times you try and say it.

I didn't say he does or I didn't say he was as bad.

It's a point to people having a go at posters who think Oxley is rank by going "take it you know better than Stubbs then". Mowbray done the same with Zibi and everyone could see he was absolute merde.

easty
03-04-2016, 02:47 PM

It's mental eh. Some people must have very short memories if they're comparing him to Zibi.

easty
03-04-2016, 02:55 PM
It's a point to people having a go at posters who think Oxley is rank by going "take it you know better than Stubbs then". Mowbray done the same with Zibi and everyone could see he was absolute merde.

Aye we know, you said that already a few mins ago.

Anyway, what I'm saying with regards to Stubbs backing of Oxley, is that Stubbs and the coaching team see him as our number 1, out of the keepers available to him in the squad. I'm sure he'd love to have De Gea or Buffon, but that's no an option for us.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Anyway, what I'm saying with regards to Stubbs backing of Oxley, is that Stubbs and the coaching team see him as our number 1, out of the keepers available to him in the squad. I'm sure he'd love to have De Gea or Buffon, but that's no an option for us.

We now have two other options waiting in the wings though. They will have to get a chance at some point.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 02:59 PM

There was a goalie as bad as, in fact worse than, Zibi at the same time he was here. Step forward Simon Brown. A truly horrendous goalkeeper.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:00 PM

Blame lies with management then for keeping Oxley on as number 1 with no alternative in that case then.

easty
03-04-2016, 03:01 PM
We now have two other options waiting in the wings though. They will have to get a chance at some point.

Nobody has any real reason to believe that either of the other options are better options though. It can't be a case of Oxley is making mistakes so these guys must be better, that's no how it works.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Nobody has any real reason to believe that either of the other options are better options though. It can't be a case of Oxley is making mistakes so these guys must be better, that's no how it works.

There's a real reason to believe Cerny is a better keeper and should have been given a chance but he wasn't. The guys could be better but like Cerny isn't being given a chance because Stubbs, like Mowbray with Zibbi can't see past him.

Scottie
03-04-2016, 03:03 PM
FFS this thread on Ox sucks.

Hes our number 1 just accept it warts and all and get behind the lad instead of slating him at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
There was a goalie as bad as, in fact worse than, Zibi at the same time he was here. Step forward Simon Brown. A truly horrendous goalkeeper.

I don't think he was as bad. He should've played in the semi final v them.

Thecat23

Spot on.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Hes our number 1 just accept it warts and all and get behind the lad instead of slating him at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

Aye just accept it. That's the attitude 👍

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 03:07 PM

Just accept mediocrity and finishing second best every season? Aye good one. We pay our hard earned and expect to be rewarded. Not treated to the pish that being served up every other week now. Is £360 good value for what we are getting?

Thecat23
Aye just accept it. That's the attitude 👍

Think what he's saying is let's just get behind him if he's our number one till the season ends at least. I think we will see a new keeper anyway in the summer but for now if he plays we need to give him the confidence he needs.

Fans have been superb this season with the backing of the boys let's carry it through to the very end. 👍🏼

blackpoolhibs
Zibi was not as bad as some are making out, his clangers were mainly against herts and boy were they clangers, but he was not that bad but his mistakes against them were unforgivable.

leggeto
03-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Remember the goal he LET in at the dump,its lucky for him we won it 2-1

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Think what he's saying is let's just get behind him if he's our number one till the season ends at least. I think we will see a new keeper anyway in the summer but for now if he plays we need to give him the confidence he needs.

Fans have been superb this season with the backing of the boys let's carry it through to the very end. 

992 made the trip yesterday and nearly all of them will have left the game feeling disappointed and short changed with that performance again

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Zibi was not as bad as some are making out, his clangers were mainly against herts and boy were they clangers, but he was not that bad but his mistakes against them were unforgivable.

He came for a cross in his first game and caught it.

Better than any YouTube video.

easty
03-04-2016, 03:11 PM
There's a real reason to believe Cerny is a better keeper and should have been given a chance but he wasn't. The guys could be better but like Cerny isn't being given a chance because Stubbs, like Mowbray with Zibbi can't see past him.

Christ you've no half jumped on leggeto's point about Mowbray. 3 times on this page alone you've said it.

What's the real reason to believe Cerny is better exactly? You complain about the saves Oxley makes to the number of shots he has at him. Is Cerny's recent record much better?

Hermit Crab

Howler. one of many.

SJM

Fans have been superb this season with the backing of the boys let's carry it through to the very end. 👍🏼

I don't think the backing will stop at games regardless of the confidence many don't have in him mate. Bump our gums in the pub or here so be it though it's healthy to have and express different opinions.

bingo70
03-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Not sure what you mean? Shouldn't we remember saves?

He makes so few saves it's easy to remember the ones he does

easty
Just accept mediocrity and finishing second best every season? Aye good one. We pay our hard earned and expect to be rewarded. Not treated to the pish that being served up every other week now. Is £360 good value for what we are getting?

Naw it's no good value, but it's no just our goalie who is ripping you off.

SJM
Christ you've no half jumped on leggeto's point about Mowbray. 3 times on this page alone you've said it.

What's the real reason to believe Cerny is better exactly? You complain about the saves Oxley makes to the number of shots he has at him. Is Cerny's recent record much better?

I've seen both play many a game and Cerny is a better keeper than Oxley.

The point I "jumped on" is valid too regardless you wanting to ignore it or not.

gaz1875
03-04-2016, 03:13 PM

He doesn't make any saves if he did he would be getting a lot more support than he is already. It's a credit to the defence we have so few shots on target, you can continually blame ever other member of the team for conceding goals, but I would dread to think where we would be in the league, if every team was having 5 or more shots on target :rolleyes:

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Lets hope the goalkeeper who plays in the semi final doesn't read .net, he will be f***ing terrified to make a single mistake and will be a bag of nerves knowing if he does he will get slaughtered on here for letting a goal or 2 in.

Deary me.

Aye cos that's why Oxley is being criticised eh? Cos he's only made 1 or 2 mistakes in the past 2 years.

Deary me indeed

SJM
He came for a cross in his first game and caught it.

Better than any YouTube video.

Was the not a friendly at Easter road during the week? Remember thinking we had found a keeper at last. The fans applauding him going "Zibbi Zibbi" Oh how I got that one wrong.

hibby6270

And we can't forget his kick out clearance rebounding of a Dons player at Pittodrie. Up there with one if his best giveaway moments.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 03:15 PM

The game against Rangers when a shot from about 25 yards went through his legs was a real lowlight.

He did make an absolutely unbelievable save from Bob Malcolm in 1st half of the 0-3 cup game right enough.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2016, 03:15 PM
And we can't forget his kick out clearance rebounding of a Dons player at Pittodrie. Up there with one if his best giveaway moments.

That was Makalambay was it not?

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:16 PM
The game against Rangers when a shot from about 25 yards went through his legs was a real lowlight.

He did make an absolutely unbelievable save from Bob Malcolm in 1st half of the 0-3 cup game right enough.

Charlie Adam, two free kicks identical I think.

easty
I've seen both play many a game and Cerny is a better keeper than Oxley.

The point I "jumped on" is valid too regardless you wanting to ignore it or not.

When have you seen Cerny playing? Been to many Partick games this season? Or did you go to a load of Hamilton games 4 years ago?

Danderhall Hibs

Wonder why I had to point it out when hermit couldn't remember it then?

SJM

Maka done similar against Aberdeen and also St Mirren.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Was the not a friendly at Easter road during the week? Remember thinking we had found a keeper at last. The fans applauding him going "Zibbi Zibbi" Oh how I got that one wrong.

My memory says it was in Ireland?

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Charlie Adam, two free kicks identical I think.

Andy McNeil done the same against Adam - wasn't it one each with him and Brown?

Scottie
03-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Aye just accept it. That's the attitude 
What do you suggest Einstein ?

Belt up ffs. Get yourself down to ER in the morning and tell Stubbs and all how it should be done then. BTW who the **** mentioned value for money. :rolleyes:

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:18 PM
When have you seen Cerny playing? Been to many Partick games this season? Or did you go to a load of Hamilton games 4 years ago?

I seen him play various times for Hamilton against us and he was outstanding all of the time.

Partick I've watched about 4 games and also the highlights and he's one of their best players week in week out against better standard opposition than we do might I add.

Do your posts also have always be overly aggressive towards someone with a difference of opinion also?

hibby6270
03-04-2016, 03:20 PM

You sure? Always had it in my mind as Zibi.
Ah well. The memory is maybe finally going after all.:greengrin

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 03:20 PM
I don't think the backing will stop at games regardless of the confidence many don't have in him mate. Bump our gums in the pub or here so be it though it's healthy to have and express different opinions.

True, long as it's left here or in the pub I'm sure the majority will always back them.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 03:21 PM

Belt up ffs. Get yourself down to ER in the morning and tell Stubbs and all how it should be done then. BTW who the **** mentioned value for money. :rolleyes:

I prefer to do that from the stands like the other 9000 die hards that turn up. I mentioned value for money, do you think we are getting it?

hibeerealist
03-04-2016, 03:22 PM

Sad but very true!!!!

Hermit Crab
You sure? Always had it in my mind as Zibi.
Ah well. The memory is maybe finally going after all.:greengrin

Makalamby at Aberdeen, the town end of the ground.

Shrekko

Agree totally. He wasn't good enough but he was brave and athletic. His clangers were always terrible and generally because he was actually trying to do something. We somehow managed to finish 3rd and 4th during the Zibbi/Simon Brown era- I wonder what logic Oxley's fans can give to that?

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Naw it's no good value, but it's no just our goalie who is ripping you off.

He makes a mockery of the defence as they work hard to restrict teams shots at goal and when they do get one or two shots in they usually score.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:24 PM

Neil Alexander
Scott Brown
Cerny
Jamie McDonald
Michael McGovern
Scott Fox
Scott Bain
Connor Ripley
Danny Rodgers
Kevin Cuthbert

Hermit Crab
Neil Alexander
Scott Brown
Cerny
Jamie McDonald
Michael McGovern
Scott Fox
Scott Bain
Connor Ripley
Danny Rodgers
Kevin Cuthbert

:agree:

Scottie
I prefer to do that from the stands like the other 9000 die hards that turn up. I mentioned value for money, do you think we are getting it?
No we are not getting value for money but what do you suggest ? I am simply saying for the moment he is our number 1 right or wrong we have no choice but to back him surely.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:25 PM
My memory says it was in Ireland?

I'm sure he played in a friendly at Easter road also I'm going to google it.

Hartlepool, we won 1-0.

Wee Effen Bee
03-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Sorry but what a load of condescending p!sh. Nowt to do with being PC: any argument with that hackneyed jibe as a tenet deserves to be dismissed out of hand. I generally try to avoid these debates as too much revisionist nonsense is posted, but: look back at match threads and/or match reports this season - Oxley has definitely saved us from defeat at times - or even from a drubbing! Your 'evidence' is hugely flawed: even great goalies lose plenty of goals if the players in front of him don't do their jobs. Also, how do you definite, 'ordinary interventions?' I would love to see your data comparing other goalies during matches. I have not read one post on H.n which classes Oxley as brilliant. Plenty saying he is good enough at the moment - which, incidentally, is what Stubbs believes too.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Agree totally. He wasn't good enough but he was brave and athletic. His clangers were always terrible and generally because he was actually trying to do something. We somehow managed to finish 3rd and 4th during the Zibbi/Simon Brown era- I wonder what logic Oxley's fans can give to that?

I not only support Oxley but the rest of the team also. I find it strange others don't?

Anyway I'm a big fan of logic so I'll give you riordan/o'connor over any combination of the current strikers, brown, boozy, Stewart, Thomson over the current midfield. Whittaker and Murphy over gray and Stevenson. Sproule over Boyle.

Kind of shows that if the team functions well we don't need to focus on one individual.

easty
03-04-2016, 03:28 PM
I seen him play various times for Hamilton against us and he was outstanding all of the time.

Partick I've watched about 4 games and also the highlights and he's one of their best players week in week out against better standard opposition than we do might I add.

Do your posts also have always be overly aggressive towards someone with a difference of opinion also?

Overly aggresive? What you on about?

Hermit Crab
03-04-2016, 03:28 PM
No we are not getting value for money but what do you suggest ? I am simply saying for the moment he is our number 1 right or wrong we have no choice but to back him surely.

I don't see the point in signing another two keepers to persist with playing Oxley who has made too many high profile errors this season.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Andy McNeil done the same against Adam - wasn't it one each with him and Brown?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6409023.stm

👍

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Overly aggresive? What you on about?

Forget it 👍

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't see the point in signing another two keepers to persist with playing Oxley who has made too many high profile errors this season.

The mistakes that get spoken about aren't high profile? All just "he should've done this" not exactly dropping the ball at someone's feet.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:32 PM
The mistakes that get spoken about aren't high profile? All just "he should've done this" not exactly dropping the ball at someone's feet.

He did against Morton at the start of the run. He got caught out spectacular in Rangers win early doors too and was lucky as anything not to against Ross County. He doesn't make that much absolute Zibbis but he gets many basic parts of his game wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:34 PM
He did against Morton at the start of the run. He got caught out spectacular in Rangers win early doors too and was lucky as anything not to against Ross County. He doesn't make that much absolute Zibbis but he gets many basic parts of his game wrong.

The Rangers game in pre season doesn't matter to me tbh.

He wasn't lucky v Ross county - he was let down by his defence. One even apologised as it was that bad.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:35 PM
The Rangers game in pre season doesn't matter to me tbh.

He wasn't lucky v Ross county - he was let down by his defence. One even apologised as it was that bad.

I meant the free kick that went right over him at Ibrox.
Fair enough about Hampden.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 03:39 PM
I meant the free kick that went right over him at Ibrox.
Fair enough about Hampden.

I disagree about the one at Ibrox.

SJM
03-04-2016, 03:52 PM
I disagree about the one at Ibrox.

Fair enough.

hibeerealist
03-04-2016, 03:56 PM
I not only support Oxley but the rest of the team also. I find it strange others don't?

Anyway I'm a big fan of logic so I'll give you riordan/o'connor over any combination of the current strikers, brown, boozy, Stewart, Thomson over the current midfield. Whittaker and Murphy over gray and Stevenson. Sproule over Boyle.

Kind of shows that if the team functions well we don't need to focus on one individual.

Not a Zibbi fan either, however if he is being held up as a comparison with Oxley then it should be taken into account that Zibbi never had to face the might of the lower division's strikers!!! We need to consider how Oxley would fare in the Premier too, if we dare.

Diclonius
03-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Would we rather have Oxley, or Graham Stack, Mark Brown, Graeme Smith, Yves Ma-Kalambay, Andy McNeil, Simon Brown or Zibi Malkowski? Cause I know who I'd pick.

Oxley is by no means perfect but in no way is he the reason we are faltering. Considering some of the absolute ***** we've had playing in goal for us over the years, I'd pick him every time over all of the above. The only keeper we've had who is better than him since like 2004 is Williams.

Feel free to wish Oxley away but you'll miss him when our next first choice horror show turns up.

LaMotta
03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Not a Zibbi fan either, however if he is being held up as a comparison with Oxley then it should be taken into account that Zibbi never had to face the might of the lower division's strikers!!! We need to consider how Oxley would fare in the Premier too, if we dare.

Well he has played against Dundee United, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Ross County, Hearts and Inverness this season and done very well overall. :hmmm:

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Well we didn't lose a goal at ER against any of the Prem teams we faced.

LaMotta
03-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Sorry but what a load of condescending p!sh. Nowt to do with being PC: any argument with that hackneyed jibe as a tenet deserves to be dismissed out of hand. I generally try to avoid these debates as too much revisionist nonsense is posted, but: look back at match threads and/or match reports this season - Oxley has definitely saved us from defeat at times - or even from a drubbing! Your 'evidence' is hugely flawed: even great goalies lose plenty of goals if the players in front of him don't do their jobs. Also, how do you definite, 'ordinary interventions?' I would love to see your data comparing other goalies during matches. I have not read one post on H.n which classes Oxley as brilliant. Plenty saying he is good enough at the moment - which, incidentally, is what Stubbs believes too.

Good post.

LaMotta
03-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Well we didn't lose a goal at ER against any of the Prem teams we faced.

Apart from Inverness :greengrin but that goal was down to a catalogue of error from Oxley's colleagues!

Diclonius
03-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Well he has played against Dundee United, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Ross County, Hearts and Inverness this season and done very well overall. :hmmm:

Nah, that was solely down to our defence and midfield and nothing to do with Oxley, at all. Honest.

SJM
03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Nah, that was solely down to our defence and midfield and nothing to do with Oxley, at all. Honest.

Yet all the soft goals he has conceded is down to the defensive mistakes also?

LaMotta
03-04-2016, 04:13 PM

strange, isn't it!

Thecat23
03-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Apart from Inverness :greengrin but that goal was down to a catalogue of error from Oxley's colleagues!

Oh aye 😁

gaz1875
03-04-2016, 04:29 PM

How many saves did he make in all these games? The argument over Oxley is his lack of saves not his mistakes, his reaction time is very poor his whole demeanour is slow. Every single person on here is willing him to produce some match winning or game saving performance, it just isn't happening. All his defenders on here are correct, he isn't making howlers but equally he doesn't make any saves. If he plays Tuesday I hope he doesn't have a save to make, but if he does fingers crossed he keeps it out the net by whatever means, the more spectacular the better to give everyone some confidence in him.

Diclonius
03-04-2016, 04:57 PM
How many saves did he make in all these games? The argument over Oxley is his lack of saves not his mistakes, his reaction time is very poor his whole demeanour is slow. Every single person on here is willing him to produce some match winning or game saving performance, it just isn't happening. All his defenders on here are correct, he isn't making howlers but equally he doesn't make any saves. If he plays Tuesday I hope he doesn't have a save to make, but if he does fingers crossed he keeps it out the net by whatever means, the more spectacular the better to give everyone some confidence in him.

That's pretty much what I think. He does all the simple stuff well, but will rarely produce an excellent save. After what we've had the for the last ten years, I'm happy with that. Of course there is (probably) better out there but how much dross would we have to wade through to get it?

SJM
03-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Other teams manage to source decent keepers time and again. When was the last time Hearts had a ***** one for instance? It's a position we have failed to address time and time again and I've no idea why. I should have added Alan Mannus to my list also and Cammy Bell.

gaz1875
03-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Other teams manage to source decent keepers time and again. When was the last time Hearts had a ***** one for instance? It's a position we have failed to address time and time again and I've no idea why. I should have added Alan Mannus to my list also and Cammy Bell.

I said last season Zander Clark looked really good and was worth Hibs looking at him. He was on loan to QoS from St Johnston. I mentioned it on here and someone else had noticed his performances. He made some fantastic saves big guy as well, unfortunately St Johnston extended his contract, I don't think he is playing for any first team which seems a shame.

SJM
03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
I said last season Zander Clark looked really good and was worth Hibs looking at him. He was on loan to QoS from St Johnston. I mentioned it on here and someone else had noticed his performances. He made some fantastic saves big guy as well, unfortunately St Johnston extended his contract, I don't think he is playing for any first team which seems a shame.

Very good call. So was Rogers at Dumbarton, does anyone know his contract situation at Aberdeen?

Big L
03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
1st one yesterday, the guys 2 to 3 yds off, did Ox put his hand up to bring it the linesmans attention? Did he run out and confront the guy or try to punch the ball away? Did he make any attempt at all? Naw, he just stood there as always. The 2nd one, beaten at the near post, he moves his right foot 6 inches he's got it, did he make an attempt, did he buggery. I'VE BEEN QUESTIONING HIS ABILITY SINCE THE DUMBARTON GAME LAST YEAR! and I will continue to do just that, the game is a lot about confidence, he has none and the defence is suffering ! He has lost some spectacular goals, the pick being the Ozturk 35yrd punt. The ICT equaliser the the guy hit it at him, he seemed to wave at it as it passed, and don't mention the Morton game when he dived out and stopped the ball for their player to stick it in the net. I would love to be coming on here praising the lad, but I say what I see!

Gordy M
03-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Did you see alexanders performance yest?? When he tried to beat the celtic striker and it got taken off him? If that had been oxley there woukd have been a 5 page thread about it. Every keeper at this level makes mistakes.

bingo70
03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Did you see alexanders performance yest?? When he tried to beat the celtic striker and it got taken off him? If that had been oxley there woukd have been a 5 page thread about it. Every keeper at this level makes mistakes.

He made a couple of excellent saves though and that's the difference

SJM
03-04-2016, 05:35 PM

He's playing Celtic at a higher level than us. Did you miss his four or five top class saves either? Something we never see from our goalie.

Hamish
03-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Just watched the highlights and I know its all about opinions but I fail to see how Oxley can be blamed for either goal.

Lmc2105
03-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I think that the Defence has lost all confidence in Oxley and that has been apparent for a long time, as he doesn't command his Box it leaves the CB questioning what exactly he is going to do. I don't rate him and believe he should have been dropped ages ago. Give Virtonen a shot after all he is going to be in goals for the Semi Final surely it makes sense playing him now?! You never know he might even come out and catch the ball now and again :worried:

inglisavhibs
03-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Just watched the highlights and I know its all about opinions but I fail to see how Oxley can be blamed for either goal.

Correct, the vultures on here would blame him no matter what. No chance with either goal. First goal is a disgraceful decision. A draw at Paisley is never a disaster, it's the games against Dumbarton that still rile with me.

SJM
03-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Correct, the vultures on here would blame him no matter what. No chance with either goal. First goal is a disgraceful decision. A draw at Paisley is never a disaster, it's the games against Dumbarton that still rile with me.

There's no vultures. They are concerned supporters that believe the man is not up to the job as goalkeeper for our club. Many have given many reasons why. He didn't cover himself in glory at either goal and made no attempt at either in my view. Not at fault but he could have made a better effort with both.

LithgaeHibby
03-04-2016, 05:54 PM

You ask the majority of other fans what they think of our goalie in terms of the other players in our side and you will find the answer. Absolute guaranteed no other set of fans sit there and go "that Oxley is a keeper, saving us a certain goal again"

:kettle:

This was just my opinion

SJM
03-04-2016, 05:55 PM
:kettle:

This was just my opinion

I know it was your opinion and that's fair enough. What is pot kettle about my reply though?

G B Young
03-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Why is Oxley still in goal? Presumably because, as far as I've seen, he's done nothing to merit being dropped. I fail to see how anyone can claim St Mirren's second goal was a goalkeeping blunder. Does anyone really watch it and think 'what a howler from the keeper?'.

As I've said on here before, Hibs fans were spoiled by a succession of top quality goalkeepers (Rough, Goram, Leighton) and have failed to bring in anyone of that calibre since. However, it's worth noting that the goalkeepers in our most recent cup-winning sides were John Burridge and Andy McNeil, neither of whom you would describe as the greatest keepers you've seen. Budgie, yes, had great presence but he was no more than competent as a goalkeeper. Expectations on here are too high and Oxley is as good as any keeper we've had in recent years and probably better than most.

G B Young
03-04-2016, 06:05 PM
He made a couple of excellent saves though and that's the difference

The difference between what? Getting beat 3-1 or 5-1?

SJM
03-04-2016, 06:29 PM
The difference between what? Getting beat 3-1 or 5-1?

He wasn't at fault for any of the games against the Scottish champions. We are playing the Raith and St Mirrens of the world. Alexander also has the most clean sheets in the top tier of our league.

Northernhibee
03-04-2016, 06:34 PM
The people on here lambasting Oxley for each goal we concede (the majority of which aren't his primary fault but indeed the fault of those in front of them) are the same ones who did the same to Liam Craig, to Ryan McGivern, to David Wotherspoon etc. etc. etc. etc. who like to cover up what they lack by dragging down the efforts of others no matter what they do. Pack mentality, mob mentality, pathetic mentality.

My_Wife_Camille
03-04-2016, 07:09 PM
The people on here lambasting Oxley for each goal we concede (the majority of which aren't his primary fault but indeed the fault of those in front of them) are the same ones who did the same to Liam Craig, to Ryan McGivern, to David Wotherspoon etc. etc. etc. etc. who like to cover up what they lack by dragging down the efforts of others no matter what they do. Pack mentality, mob mentality, pathetic mentality.
So the ones that don't think that Oxley is good enough are the ones that didn't think Craig and McGivern were good enough?

Far from being pathetic, I'd say they are the ones who can obviously tell a **** footballer when they see one week after week and mistake after mistake.

Big L
03-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Why is Oxley still in goal? Presumably because, as far as I've seen, he's done nothing to merit being dropped. I fail to see how anyone can claim St Mirren's second goal was a goalkeeping blunder. Does anyone really watch it and think 'what a howler from the keeper?'.

As I've said on here before, Hibs fans were spoiled by a succession of top quality goalkeepers (Rough, Goram, Leighton) and have failed to bring in anyone of that calibre since. However, it's worth noting that the goalkeepers in our most recent cup-winning sides were John Burridge and Andy McNeil, neither of whom you would describe as the greatest keepers you've seen. Budgie, yes, had great presence but he was no more than competent as a goalkeeper. Expectations on here are too high and Oxley is as good as any keeper we've had in recent years and probably better than most.
The theory being if our keeper is mental short and not very good we will win the cup, cannae wait !!

Hibernia&Alba
03-04-2016, 07:26 PM
I've never been a big fan of Oxley; I'm always anxious he has a big mistake in him. There has to be a better option out there, surely.

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Rubbish. If you don't rate a player it automatically means you don't rate others that got stick?? Utter nonsense and yet another smokescreen.

Nobody is saying every goal is solely Oxley's fault just that as a 'last line of defence' he has to be doing a heck of a lot more. The 1st goal was horrific by the linesman but why just stand there?

There's no defence on earth that prevents teams creating chances but our defence generally limits them pretty well. A goalie is there to make sure it's as difficult to score as possible. If you and others think he's doing a sterling job then I'm baffled due to the weight of evidence against that being the case.

Northernhibee
03-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Rubbish. If you don't rate a player it automatically means you don't rate others that got stick?? Utter nonsense and yet another smokescreen.

Nobody is saying every goal is solely Oxley's fault just that as a 'last line of defence' he has to be doing a heck of a lot more. The 1st goal was horrific by the linesman but why just stand there?

There's no defence on earth that prevents teams creating chances but our defence generally limits them pretty well. A goalie is there to make sure it's as difficult to score as possible. If you and others think he's doing a sterling job then I'm baffled due to the weight of evidence against that being the case.

Blah blah blah, someone thinks that the bullying of Oxley is wrong so he must think that he's doing a "sterling job".

We've conceded only one less goal than the team who has conceded the least, so by "the weight of evidence" I assume you mean your "total lack of backbone to look past what the empty vessels and boo boys are saying and making a decision for yourself".

SJM
03-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Blah blah blah, someone thinks that the bullying of Oxley is wrong so he must think that he's doing a "sterling job".

We've conceded only one less goal than the team who has conceded the least, so by "the weight of evidence" I assume you mean your "total lack of backbone to look past what the empty vessels and boo boys are saying and making a decision for yourself".

How's he getting no bullied ffs? It's a messgeboard to give opinions it's not a personal attack on the boy. It's a view on his as a footballer. If he's not good enough he's not good enough, it's not bullying, it's an informed opinion based over a course of time.

Shrekko
03-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Blah blah blah? Cracking argument.

Seriously - the point is, and I am NEVER swayed by anyone's else's opinion of a player, that you can decide you don't rate Oxley if you like and not be tagged a mindless boo boy ok?

I've stuck up for many a boo boy target - from Joe Tortolano to David Wotherspoon so don't even think about telling me that you can decide what I'm like as a fan because I don't rate Oxley.

I'm seriously worried that this weak link will cost us dearly (it already has) and just because balls aren't rolling through his legs every week doesn't mean he's doing his job.

Hibernia&Alba
03-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I think we need Scouse Hibee to tell everyone to "calm doon, calm doon". Let's take a deep breath, eh. :aok:

Northernhibee
03-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Blah blah blah? Cracking argument.

Seriously - the point is, and I am NEVER swayed by anyone's else's opinion of a player, that you can decide you don't rate Oxley if you like and not be tagged a mindless boo boy ok?

I've stuck up for many a boo boy target - from Joe Tortolano to David Wotherspoon so don't even think about telling me that you can decide what I'm like as a fan because I don't rate Oxley.

I'm seriously worried that this weak link will cost us dearly (it already has) and just because balls aren't rolling through his legs every week doesn't mean he's doing his job.

Isn't the job of a keeper to make sure that balls don't get past him? By that logic there's only one better keeper in the league? :rolleyes:

FWIW, I think that Oxley is a decent keeper - about right for our level, probably won't make it much higher than a decent Scottish team. However - and I know that I'm not alone in this - I'm sick to the back teeth of the constant need for there to be a scapegoat. The treatment of Oxley, and Craig before him, and McGivern before him, and Wotherspoon before him, and Nish before him and countless others is tiresome, predictable and acerbicly grating. How many Oxley threads does this board need?

Hiber-nation
03-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Some of the criticism of these players was OTT, of course it was. But some of it was completely justified - Craig - club captain, hiding in some games under Butcher. McGivern - terrible professional. I'm talking about players' attitude, not slagging them off for misplacing a pass.

As for Oxley, I'd prefer better but we've had far worse.

Mr White
03-04-2016, 08:08 PM
As for Oxley, I'd prefer better but we've had far worse.

Amen to that.

Edson Arantes
03-04-2016, 09:32 PM

Mate, he gets blamed for everything.

:confused::confused:

inglisavhibs
03-04-2016, 09:37 PM
There's no vultures. They are concerned supporters that believe the man is not up to the job as goalkeeper for our club. Many have given many reasons why. He didn't cover himself in glory at either goal and made no attempt at either in my view. Not at fault but he could have made a better effort with both.

Your opinion and you are entitled to it.

hibby6270
03-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Makalamby at Aberdeen, the town end of the ground.

Apologies to Zibi. And Pretty Boy as well. :confused:

broondog
03-04-2016, 10:34 PM
have never understood all the Oxley bashing. In the last few games where he has been blamed heavily on here, the porous defence in front of him have been more to blame than he has. He has made mistakes yes, but so have most other keepers at this level. Don't think anyone is claiming he is a great keeper far from it.

stantonhibby
03-04-2016, 11:00 PM

I don't recall Oxley chucking one in like Mannus yesterday. Inverness goalie and Rangers keeper looked none too clever as well

Dashing Bob S
03-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Give me one Mark Oxley and a thousand of his detractors, and I'll take the latter every time.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2016, 11:46 PM
I don't recall Oxley chucking one in like Mannus yesterday. Inverness goalie and Rangers keeper looked none too clever as well

Just posted on the other thread about this - add Cerny to that list.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 07:17 AM
He's playing Celtic at a higher level than us. Did you miss his four or five top class saves either? Something we never see from our goalie.

Alexander is bang average.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Yep.

SJM
04-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Alexander is bang average.

In comparison with who? Oxley, the man in discussion?

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 10:25 AM
In comparison with who? Oxley, the man in discussion?

Both average.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Oxleys goals conceded to shots on target (via BBC stats)

SOT: 74 GOALS: 28

Cups (Exluding Petrofac) SOT: 22 GOALS: 7

matty_f
04-04-2016, 11:09 AM

SOT: 76 GOALS: 26

But he never makes saves. :confused:

Or maybe people don't like to acknowledge the saves that he makes because they've already made their minds up about him, and so every debate about him will now consist solely of one extreme arguing with the other.

Big_Franck
04-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Have you got a link to those stats? The BBC site is horrible to navigate.

Those stats are appalling if true. If one in three shots on target results in a goal IMO it would back up the claim that many make that he doesn't make many saves.

FWIW I've watched the highlights from Saturday and I definitely wouldn't blame him for the first goal and I think it'd be a bit harsh to blame him for the second.

flash
04-04-2016, 11:19 AM
If you listened to half the jokers on here our goals against should be zero as every single goal is his fault.
He isn't the greatest but the level and quality of criticism has reached farcical proportions.

SJM
04-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Or maybe people don't like to acknowledge the saves that he makes because they've already made their minds up about him, and so every debate about him will now consist solely of one extreme arguing with the other.

They are not good stats at all. And it fails to mention he hardly ever comes off his line to catch either.

How long is a player given before people are allowed to make our minds up? Is it only poor players we are meant to give longer than good players? John McGinn got a song made about him after a couple of months because he's good. Oxley has had almost 2 season to "already make up minds" about.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Have you got a link to those stats? The BBC site is horrible to navigate.

Those stats are appalling if true. If one in three shots on target results in a goal IMO it would back up the claim that many make that he doesn't make many saves.

FWIW I've watched the highlights from Saturday and I definitely wouldn't blame him for the first goal and I think it'd be a bit harsh to blame him for the second.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/results

I tallied them up myself but if you click on the drop down from each Hibs game it tells you the amount of shots and shots on target. it only takes a couple of minutes to add them all together.

(You'll need to click where it says SHOW ME to "Scottish Championship")

mim
04-04-2016, 11:21 AM

Cups (Exluding Petrofac) SOT: 22 GOALS: 7

So, if this is true, we lose 1 goal for every 3 shots on target. Remembering that a decent proportion of these shots will be at or near the keeper, this is a shocking stat.

JimBHibees
04-04-2016, 11:21 AM
If you listened to half the jokers on here our goals against should be zero as every single goal is his fault.
He isn't the greatest but the level and quality of criticism has reached farcical proportions.

Totally agree.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 11:25 AM

You know fine well what people mean when they say he doesn't make saves

What those stats show (if they're correct) is that every 3rd shot on target is a goal against, which is actually an improvement from last year where almost 1 in every 2 shots at goal resulted in a goal.

Would be interesting to see these stats for other 'title challenegers' but I doubt many of their keepers concede 1 out of every 3 shots they have to save

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 11:25 AM
So, if this is true, we lose 1 goal for every 3 shots on target. Remembering that a decent proportion of these shots will be at or near the keeper, this is a shocking stat.

Is it? You'd need to compare like for like before making claims like that wouldn't you?

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM

What those stats show (if they're correct) is that every 3rd shot on target is a goal against, which is actually an improvement from last year where almost 1 in every 2 shots at goal resulted in a goal.

Would be interesting to see these stats for other 'title challenegers' but I doubt many of their keepers concede 1 out of every 3 shots they have to save

After watching the efforts of all the great goalies in Scottish football on Sportscene last night I'd imagine 1 in 3 might be respectable.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 11:36 AM
After watching the efforts of all the great goalies in Scottish football on Sportscene last night I'd imagine 1 in 3 might be respectable.
Seen last nights Sportsecen mentioned a few times as if other keepers making mistakes excuses Oxley for doing the same.

1. It doesnt

2. I don't believe these individuals are making these mistakes as regularly as Oxley is.

3. If Oxley had only made his first mistake of the season on Saturday then we wouldn't have these threads. Unfortunately the reality is that he's continuously made blunders of varying degrees since joining the club which naturally puts him under the microscope more than those who have consistently put in good performances. Simple as that.

duffers
04-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Oxley has made a couple of mistakes recently, but IMO, it's very harsh to blame him for the goals on Saturday.

leggeto
04-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I seem to question his concentration a lot,when we dominate games and get caught on the break or a long distance effort is hit he seems a bit slow to react,he plays better in games where the action is around him

matty_f
04-04-2016, 11:59 AM
They are not good stats at all. And it fails to mention he hardly ever comes off his line to catch either.

How long is a player given before people are allowed to make our minds up? Is it only poor players we are meant to give longer than good players? John McGinn got a song made about him after a couple of months because he's good. Oxley has had almost 2 season to "already make up minds" about.

How do the stats compare against other keepers? The The Rangers goalie let in three against Raith, and two or three against QotS the week before.

Celtc put three past the Yams on Sunday but i'm not sure if they had nine shots on target.

Everton conceded to ne of Man U's very few shots on target on Sunday.

How many shots on target did it take Aberdeen to get their three goals?

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:01 PM

They mean he doesn't make saves, presumably.

Just ones we're not supposed to remember because he should make them or ones we should remember because they don't happen all the time, or something.

SJM
04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
How do the stats compare against other keepers? The The Rangers goalie let in three against Raith, and two or three against QotS the week before.

Celtc put three past the Yams on Sunday but i'm not sure if they had nine shots on target.

The Rangers keeper is *****, who cares about him.

The other play at a higher level.

You are also talking induvidual games, I guarantee they keepers have made loads of top class saves during the season including Alexander on Saturday and a penalty save for even the huddy Hun. Week after week Oxleys shots to goals/saves ratio is poor. Look at the Raith game, two chances, two goals, QOS on chance late on, goal, Morton 3 chances 3 goals and could have been more, Inverness first shot on goal, goal. I can't remember the last time Oxley gave either a commanding performance, a couple of very good saves or walking away thinking thank god we had Oxley today. It never ever happens.

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 12:11 PM

The Rangers keeper: SOT: 94 Goals:37 (seven of the goals were in the last three matches)

SJM
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
The Rangers keeper: SOT: 94 Goals:37 (seven of the goals were in the last three matches)

And that's when the league is more or less won whilst we are fighting for our lives.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
The Rangers keeper is *****, who cares about him.

The other play at a higher level.

You are also talking induvidual games, I guarantee they keepers have made loads of top class saves during the season including Alexander on Saturday and a penalty save for even the huddy Hun. Week after week Oxleys shots to goals/saves ratio is poor. Look at the Raith game, two chances, two goals, QOS on chance late on, goal, Morton 3 chances 3 goals and could have been more, Inverness first shot on goal, goal. I can't remember the last time Oxley gave either a commanding performance, a couple of very good saves or walking away thinking thank god we had Oxley today. It never ever happens.

:hilarious:

The equivalent counter to that is for me to pretend he doesn't concede goals, frankly.

Big_Franck
04-04-2016, 12:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/results

I tallied them up myself but if you click on the drop down from each Hibs game it tells you the amount of shots and shots on target. it only takes a couple of minutes to add them all together.

(You'll need to click where it says SHOW ME to "Scottish Championship")

Cheers. Went through every game this season in all competitions (bored at work :greengrin) and the opposition have had 102 shots on target that resulted in 41 goals. That doesn't make great reading.

What I did notice as I was going through the stats was the huge number of shots we have compared to the relatively low number of goals we score. I couldn't be bothered tallying those up as well but it confirmed what I already thought - we need far too many chances before we get a goal and the opposition don't have to work particularly hard to score against us.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Worse than Oxley's one in three? Strewth.

SJM
04-04-2016, 12:20 PM
:hilarious:

The equivalent counter to that is for me to pretend he doesn't concede goals, frankly.

Come on then, when was his last good game or a game he made vital saves to win us points or keep us in?

SJM
04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Worse than Oxley's one in three? Strewth.

He's had 20 more shots into him and conceded the same as Oxley, how do you work out its worse?

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Come on then, when was his last good game or a game he made vital saves to win us points or keep us in?

There is literally no point, you'll dismiss them anyway.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:28 PM
He's had 20 more shots into him and conceded the same as Oxley, how do you work out its worse?

Oxley: 33 goals from 98 shots

The The Rangers boy: 37 goals from 94 shots.

That's how I make out it's worse. :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Seen last nights Sportsecen mentioned a few times as if other keepers making mistakes excuses Oxley for doing the same.

1. It doesnt

2. I don't believe these individuals are making these mistakes as regularly as Oxley is.

3. If Oxley had only made his first mistake of the season on Saturday then we wouldn't have these threads. Unfortunately the reality is that he's continuously made blunders of varying degrees since joining the club which naturally puts him under the microscope more than those who have consistently put in good performances. Simple as that.

Other folk said all the other goalies are better than him - just pointing out they make more mistakes.

easty
04-04-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm sure there will folk who will still flap for reasons for why Oxley's record is still worse.

But but but the Rangers guy saved a penalty.

But they are already winning the league so they're not trying as hard anymore.

But but Oxley never saves anything unless it hits off him by complete coincedence, don't believe me? When was his last save? I want the date and time and weather temperature of when it ever happened.

It's sad how much some people are anti Oxley.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm sure there will folk who will still flap for reasons for why Oxley's record is still worse.

But but Oxley never saves anything unless it hits off him by complete coincedence, don't believe me? When was his last save? I want the date and time and weather temperature of when it ever happened.

For what it's worth, I'm 'anti Oxley' but I also think Foderingham is pish too

Eaststandee
04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Cheers. Went through every game this season in all competitions (bored at work :greengrin) and the opposition have had 102 shots on target that resulted in 41 goals. That doesn't make great reading.

What I did notice as I was going through the stats was the huge number of shots we have compared to the relatively low number of goals we score. I couldn't be bothered tallying those up as well but it confirmed what I already thought - we need far too many chances before we get a goal and the opposition don't have to work particularly hard to score against us.

That's what I thought as well, I think it after leaving every game, but seeing it in numbers isn't pretty.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 12:37 PM

The Rangers keeper must get really difficult shots to save or something?

matty_f
04-04-2016, 12:59 PM
The Rangers keeper must get really difficult shots to save or something?

Definitely none right at him.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:01 PM
There is literally no point, you'll dismiss them anyway.

Try me, I won't.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:02 PM

Sure I read 78 shots for Oxley. Apologies.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:03 PM

I'm not anti-any Hibernian player. I am pro-improving and replacing the weak links though.

The Rangers keeper is a huddy too. Not that it matter though as they are skooshing the league, for us, it's essential because we are in a battle to go up.

Northernhibee
04-04-2016, 01:17 PM
The logic on here shows why the term "Oxleymoron" was coined.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 01:33 PM
The logic on here shows why the term "Oxleymoron" was coined.
Dont think he's a moron but he's not a very good keeper

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Dont think he's a moron but he's not a very good keeper

It's a way of undermine and bullying posters with different opinions of to themselves.

The_Horde
04-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Would be interesting to see how many good chances opposition teams get and how many out of that number become goals. Shots on and off target could come from the half way line, for instance, and not actually anywhere near to being decent chances.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 01:41 PM
It's a way of undermine and bullying posters with different opinions of to themselves.

Those who like Oxley appear to use one of two defences to counter the claims of his detractors:

1. Call them morons

2. Point out mistakes made by other goalkeepers.

Neither of which actually makes a case for Oxley being anything other than a poor keeper in a poor division.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Would be interesting to see how many good chances opposition teams get and how many out of that number become goals. Shots on and off target could come from the half way line, for instance, and not actually anywhere near to being decent chances.

You'd imagine that over a season in the same league different types of shot and that would even out?

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Those who like Oxley appear to use one of two defences to counter the claims of his detractors:

1. Call them morons

Neither of which actually makes a case for Oxley being anything other than a poor keeper in a poor division.
k

As well as this, the people who state the keeper isn't good enough do not make it person, despite claims otherwise and aren't looking for a scapegoat they are giving valid reasons for their belief that he is a weak link and lastly and most importantly are not calling any fellow poster or hibby a moron etc for having a difference of opinion that many agree with.

The_Horde
04-04-2016, 01:45 PM
You'd imagine that over a season in the same league different types of shot and that would even out?

What, just like refereeing decisions?

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM

1. Call them morons

On a different note those that don't fully support the team blame the goalie for every goal that goes in even when it's not his fault.

The only mistakes that've been clear are few and far between so instead blame is apportioned for everything. The stats being produced don't fit the argument either so now it's being turned on folk for daring to support the team.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Surely that would depend of how the defence works and say for instance stops teams from getting in on goal and restricting to them to long shots at goal. Others could be strong at set pieces defensively and other teams couple be playing against better teams with stronger attackers.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:48 PM
What, just like refereeing decisions?

No, like shots on goal from the same players in the same teams in the same league.

Unless they try really hard shots against Rangers and really easy ones against us. Would seem a strange tactic but maybe that's what they do.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Surely that would depend of how the defence works and say for instance stops teams from getting in on goal and restricting to them to long shots at goal. Othe r

Are we including the rest of the team now? Pleased to hear it - that's what I've been trying to say all along.

I thought the argument was about the shots a goalie saves.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:50 PM
On a different note those that don't fully support the team blame the goalie for every goal that goes in even when it's not his fault.

The only mistakes that've been clear are few and far between so instead blame is apportioned for everything. The stats being produced don't fit the argument either so now it's being turned on folk for daring to support the team.

What about those that don't fully support the team so jump on the back of players to back the goalkeeper? I've seen plenty on here blame this and that player for goals lost when as the last line of defence the keeper could have done better with. Like on Saturday.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Are we including the rest of the team now? Pleased to hear it - that's what I've been trying to say all along.

I thought the argument was about the shots a goalie saves.

It is. There is all different scenarios though. We seem to be a team hardly ever under a seige by the opposition but lose goals all the time.

When was the last time Oxley made two or three good saves in a match to win us a point or three? Genuinely?

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:53 PM
What about those that don't fully support the team so jump on the back of players to back the goalkeeper? I've seen plenty on here blame this and that player for goals lost when as the last line of defence the keeper could have done better with. Like on Saturday.

Who are these people?

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Who are these people?

Plenty on here critised Gray and Hanlon for the goals when sticking up for Oxley, read back from Yesterday.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:55 PM
It is. There is all different scenarios though. We seem to be a team hardly ever under a seige by the opposition but lose goals all the time.

When was the last time Oxley made two or three good saves in a match to win us a point or three? Genuinely?

2 or 3 good saves in a match? We're rarely under that much pressure.

I could go back for specifics but I'd imagine it happened sometime in the winning run when no one was looking to blame him, mainly cos Fyvie was there to take the heat.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Plenty on here critised Gray and Hanlon for the goals when sticking up for Oxley, read back from Yesterday.

Maybe pointing out it's a team game and not one player can be solely blamed.

Seems it's hard to get that point across.

SJM
04-04-2016, 01:57 PM

No, Hanlon in particular was getting it tight. If it's unfair to single out Oxley then surely in their eyes it was Hanlon too?

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2016, 01:58 PM
No, Hanlon in particular was getting it tight. If it's unfair to single out Oxley then surely in their eyes it was Hanlon too?

I'll look for the Hanlon out thread(s) and see how the conversation went.

SJM
04-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I'll look for the Hanlon out thread(s) and see how the conversation went.

👍

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Not for me it isn't.

I can't speak for anyone else but in this very thread and on others I've said that the defence have done Oxley no favours in the build up to the goal but guess what, I still think Oxley has made a howler at stopping the shot going in, especially from that angle. For that goal you have 2 or 3 players who all have to take their share of the blame, Oxley being one of them.

The difference being that as an individual, Oxley has to take his share of the blame on more occasions than others. Most on this board would agree that Paul Hanlon has been one of our better players this season so when he makes a rare error like he did yesterday then he isn't going to have the same number of question marks over his head as someone like Oxley who has made mistakes pretty consistently throughout his Hibs career.

And for what it's worth, Oxley cannot be blamed for the first goal at all. It's offside and shouldn't have counted. The only people to blame are the referee and linesman.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Try me, I won't.

2 right off the top of my head would be Falkirk away (second half we got battered for a while, he kept us in it.)

The Rangers at Easter Rd, made some cracking saves when we won.

silverhibee
04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Just a wild guess here, but I think Oxley will be in goals tomorrow night.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2016, 02:36 PM
2 right off the top of my head would be Falkirk away (second half we got battered for a while, he kept us in it.)

The Rangers at Easter Rd, made some cracking saves when we won.
There's 2 games where Oxley has helped keep us in it. Fair :agree:

Against those very same teams though you can look at the third goal against Rangers in the 6-2 game where the ball has squirmed under his hands from a ridiculous angle and the 1-1 game at home to Falkirk where he's spilled the ball at the feet of Lee Miller to score.

Both are fair examples for each argument. My stance is that there's too many instances similar to my examples and not enough of yours.

matty_f
04-04-2016, 02:42 PM
There's 2 games where Oxley has helped keep us in it. Fair :agree:

Against those very same teams though you can look at the third goal against Rangers in the 6-2 game where the ball has squirmed under his hands from a ridiculous angle and the 1-1 game at home to Falkirk where he's spilled the ball at the feet of Lee Miller to score.

Both are fair examples for each argument. My stance is that there's too many instances similar to my examples and not enough of yours.

I don't see anyone saying he's not to blame for any goals, or that he's perfect, but he's nowhere near as bad as you and others are suggesting.

We've had loads of games which we won because of routine saves, we had (for a spell) the best defensive record in the country - that doesn't happen with a liability in goals.

Northernhibee
04-04-2016, 02:43 PM

It's a term for those who in spite of all evidence being against them refuse to change their tone.