PDA

View Full Version : Tennents Sixes

RoxburghHibs
02-04-2016, 06:54 AM
With us playing StMirren today it reminded me of the 1990 Tennents Sixes.

We beat StMirren 2-0 in the final.

http://youtu.be/xNTlIMei-xs

Would be great to see this return in some format.

Anyway enjoy

Future17
02-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Cracking footage! :aok:

Loved the Tennents Sixes - just wouldn't happen these days.

ionahibby
02-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Would be a cracking idea if they did something like this again! I remember watching an English version with the likes of Liverpool etc in the mid 90s? Though that might have been teams of retired players? Someone might be able to correct me. Still an indoor tournament would make a winter mid season break more bearable.

sleeping giant
02-04-2016, 10:13 AM
I mind Crombie giving a free kick against us for keeping the ball when we were winning.
The other team scored and went on to win.

I was furious:greengrin

Peevemor
02-04-2016, 10:26 AM
I mind Crombie giving a free kick against us for keeping the ball when we were winning.

It's was against Celtic was it not?

Eyrie
02-04-2016, 11:52 AM
It's was against Celtic was it not?

Correct.

fat freddy
02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Shocking decision at the time, Hibs were playing keep ball like Barcelona, the Celtic players couldn't get the ball off us as the game was played in zones and Hibs had mastered how to keep possession after taking the lead. The ref was so blatant, he just stopped play and gave Celtic a free kick, we were penalised for keeping possession, it was sickening at the time, not that we had the ball taken from us, more that the ref ignored the rules and gave Celtic the ball cos they couldn't get it off Hibs in open play, it was the most blatant case of pro old firm refereeing I'd ever seen up to that point. Barely a murmur was raised by the commentary team or the media the next day. It just summed up who Scottish football was geared towards. 30 years later, not a lot has changed.

HH81
02-04-2016, 12:05 PM
What was it played on? Looks like 3g but can't have been

Aldo
02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
What was it played on? Looks like 3g but can't have been

Green carpet!

RoxburghHibs
02-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Shocking decision at the time, Hibs were playing keep ball like Barcelona, the Celtic players couldn't get the ball off us as the game was played in zones and Hibs had mastered how to keep possession after taking the lead. The ref was so blatant, he just stopped play and gave Celtic a free kick, we were penalised for keeping possession, it was sickening at the time, not that we had the ball taken from us, more that the ref ignored the rules and gave Celtic the ball cos they couldn't get it off Hibs in open play, it was the most blatant case of pro old firm refereeing I'd ever seen up to that point. Barely a murmur was raised by the commentary team or the media the next day. It just summed up who Scottish football was geared towards. 30 years later, not a lot has changed.

To make matters worse Celtic scored from the free kick to knock us out. We were 2-0 up and won 2-1 but went out on goal difference.

fat freddy
02-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I preferred the old tourney played at Meadowbank each year back in the 70's. Evening News / Leith Rotary Club sponsored thing that brought together Hibs Hearts Dunfermline Berwick Rangers etc in a one day fives event, Hibs always seemed to win it and we always put outa strong squad with the likes of Stanton & Duncan taking part. Huge crowds and never any bother despite everyone sitting amongst one another. Great days

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-04-2016, 12:44 PM

I was so young at the time that I had to record it cause I had school the next day. Got up early to watch it and remember going to school in a raging mood [emoji35] The worst decision I've ever seen. Just blatant cheating.

Ps. Absolutely loved the tournament. So good.

Silky
02-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Mind that. Crombie was a biased Yam roaster. Reffed a Sunday league final I was involved in years ago and was crap in that as well. Had a hearts air freshner hanging in his car. Welt.

magpie1892
02-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Would be a cracking idea if they did something like this again! I remember watching an English version with the likes of Liverpool etc in the mid 90s? Though that might have been teams of retired players? Someone might be able to correct me. Still an indoor tournament would make a winter mid season break more bearable.

The Guinness (one of a number of sponsors) Soccer Sixes ran down south for a couple of years in the 1980s with first team/fringe players strutting their stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jun/26/joy-of-six-extinct-football-competitions

Mr White
02-04-2016, 05:23 PM
I preferred the old tourney played at Meadowbank each year back in the 70's. Evening News / Leith Rotary Club sponsored thing that brought together Hibs Hearts Dunfermline Berwick Rangers etc in a one day fives event, Hibs always seemed to win it and we always put outa strong squad with the likes of Stanton & Duncan taking part. Huge crowds and never any bother despite everyone sitting amongst one another. Great days

My dad took me to an indoor tournament at Meadowbank that I've only got a few vague memories of and haven't been able to find any info about it online. Fairly certain it was 1986 and Robin rae was in goals for hibs because roughie was away in mexico with Scotland. Was the 6's ever played at meadowbank before moving to the secc or was this more like the tournament you describe? I think all the main teams were there but like i say i was pretty young and the memories are vague.

Danderhall Hibs
02-04-2016, 05:29 PM
The Guinness (one of a number of sponsors) Soccer Sixes ran down south for a couple of years in the 1980s with first team/fringe players strutting their stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jun/26/joy-of-six-extinct-football-competitions

I remember watching a bit of it - David Speedie in goals and taking the ball for a dribble is all I remember though.

1875STEVE
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
It would never be allowed nowadays for injuries.

They played the Masters tournaments with retired players until quite recently.

Hibs won the Scottish version and went down to the british one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Football#Champions

Ive actually got one of the tops from the tournament in my cupboard, got the number 7.

fat freddy
02-04-2016, 11:11 PM
My dad took me to an indoor tournament at Meadowbank that I've only got a few vague memories of and haven't been able to find any info about it online. Fairly certain it was 1986 and Robin rae was in goals for hibs because roughie was away in mexico with Scotland. Was the 6's ever played at meadowbank before moving to the secc or was this more like the tournament you describe? I think all the main teams were there but like i say i was pretty young and the memories are vague.

No, this sounds like the 5 a side tournament contested by mostly East Coast clubs each year. I can't remember how long it ran for but I went along each year from the early seventies through to maybe 1979, it may have continued after that and you probably attended the same tournament that ran in the 70's. It was 5 a side, the indoor arena at Meadowbank would be too small for 6's

Mr White
03-04-2016, 06:38 AM
No, this sounds like the 5 a side tournament contested by mostly East Coast clubs each year. I can't remember how long it ran for but I went along each year from the early seventies through to maybe 1979, it may have continued after that and you probably attended the same tournament that ran in the 70's. It was 5 a side, the indoor arena at Meadowbank would be too small for 6's
Cheers that makes sense :aok: