PDA

View Full Version : India v WI, Cricket

Radium
31-03-2016, 04:57 PM
WI need 20 from 12, India don't want to get Simmons out [2 NB reprieves]

SJM
31-03-2016, 05:04 PM
No idea what this has to with Hibs to be honest.

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-03-2016, 05:05 PM
You actually watch cricket...oh dear...:wink:

Radium
31-03-2016, 05:06 PM
You actually watch cricket...oh dear...:wink:

No

TMS :not worth

NAE NOOKIE
31-03-2016, 05:14 PM
WI need 20 from 12, India don't want to get Simmons out [2 NB reprieves]

They should play a straight bat at any googlies and tickle the bowlers willie down the leg side.

mjhibby
31-03-2016, 05:25 PM
I unfortunately for my sins love cricket having played it at school. If you played it you would see its a great game. Love to see the windies win as their celebrations are something else. Abe as Andy the Hibby said.lol.

7 Hills
31-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Here you go: http://www.hibs.net/forumdisplay.php?38-Other-Sports

mjhibby
31-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Windies win.just do the biz in the final guys.

Famous Fiver
31-03-2016, 05:39 PM
SJM

Know your Hibs history.

Bobby Johnstone was no mean cricketer in the Border League with Selkirk, and Hibs had an annual charity challenge match on the Links against Leith Franklin attended by thousands so you know where you can stick your ignorant remark.

mjhibby
31-03-2016, 06:49 PM
They should play a straight bat at any googlies and tickle the bowlers willie down the leg side.

Ah there speaks a man with knowledge of cricket. Or maybe not. The batsmen is holding the bowlers Willey. Just another timeless gem from tms. Such harmless fun. Oops I forgot this is hibs.net. That's me sent to Coventry then. Lol.
Net

--------
01-04-2016, 01:32 AM
SJM

Know your Hibs history.

Bobby Johnstone was no mean cricketer in the Border League with Selkirk, and Hibs had an annual charity challenge match on the Links against Leith Franklin attended by thousands so you know where you can stick your ignorant remark.

Andy Goram was also a fine cricketer - played in the Lancashire Leagues IIRC. Played 4 times for Scotland as well.

Now, as one who has been known to be somewhat dismissive of T20 in the past, may I just say that that was a most enjoyable afternoon's viewing, and I shall certainly watch the Final.

16326 (A.B.E. rules apply.)

Famous Fiver
01-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Doddie

I had the pleasure of playing in the same cricket team as AG for three seasons.

Fine, fine cricketer and could throw in a few non cricketing stories as well....................

--------
01-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Doddie

I had the pleasure of playing in the same cricket team as AG for three seasons.

Fine, fine cricketer and could throw in a few non cricketing stories as well....................

You must have been good, then.

You don't by any chance know of Bert Bracewell - was involved with West Lothian? He was the Scottish National Fencing coach, but also a not bad spin bowler and instrumental in my meeting my late wife Margaret at Meadowbank Sports Centre?

On the subject of the semi, Wednesday was the first time I'd actually sat down to watch an international T20 game. I guess the fact that there were some very good Test players playing helped - I've watched some of the English county games before and frankly some of them were truly awful - but I think I'm going to be a wee bit more charitable towards this sort of cricket in the future.

Anything that gets people watching the game and interested - and thereby bringing money into it - can't be all bad, but the batting, especially in Semi2, was far from the 'big bash' image I'd had of T20.

Mind you - it's as well for the bowlers' mental health that IVA Richards and CH Lloyd never played it. Viv would have had a field day. Not to mention Sir IT Botham ...

That's how they batted in Test Matches. :devil:

Famous Fiver
01-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Doddie

The superior attitude of SJM really got my goat. The appalling ignorance of the poster and his dismissive attitude made me rise to his bait.

I never to my knowledge played against Bert Bracewell so can't help you there.

Played at Boghall many times though, dare I say it against one Donald Ford amongst others. He was a fine cricketer despite his footballing allegiances.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2016, 03:42 PM
No idea what this has to with Hibs to be honest.

Apart from the obvious Hibs connections, the clue is in the Forum title.... "Other sports".

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Apart from the obvious Hibs connections, the clue is in the Forum title.... "Other sports".

i'm 'assuming' this was on the main forum :dunno: glorified rounders deffo belongs in other sports :greengrin

Famous Fiver
01-04-2016, 04:00 PM
cababgeandribs

Yes this thread started out in life on the main forum.

I wonder if your disparaging remarks tie in with those expressed by the political party your avatar promotes, which invests in and actively encourages Scottish cricket?

Will be interesting to know if you are toeing the party line on this one.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2016, 04:03 PM
i'm 'assuming' this was on the main forum :dunno: glorified rounders deffo belongs in other sports :greengrin

Okay, I get you :aok:

I'll let others defend the rounders, though............... :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2016, 04:11 PM
cababgeandribs

Yes this thread started out in life on the main forum.

I wonder if your disparaging remarks tie in with those expressed by the political party your avatar promotes, which invests in and actively encourages Scottish cricket?

Will be interesting to know if you are toeing the party line on this one.

OMG...that is all https://www.soapgoods.com/images/285%20Chill%20Pill.jpg

Famous Fiver
02-04-2016, 07:31 AM
I obviously touched a raw nerve there.

You are either an SNP supporter or you are not.

Please enlighten us.

marinello59
02-04-2016, 08:08 AM
I obviously touched a raw nerve there.

You are either an SNP supporter or you are not.

Please enlighten us.

Who cares? It's a lighthearted thread about cricket, that's all.

--------
02-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Doddie

The superior attitude of SJM really got my goat. The appalling ignorance of the poster and his dismissive attitude made me rise to his bait.

I never to my knowledge played against Bert Bracewell so can't help you there.

Played at Boghall many times though, dare I say it against one Donald Ford amongst others. He was a fine cricketer despite his footballing allegiances.

Just wondered - you'd remember Bert if you'd met him. A very nice guy and a great coach.

I seem to remember that in the days of my youth (now, alas, long gone) there were lots of footballers who spent the close season playing cricket and many of them played at the highest level. CB Fry, Denis Compton, Raich Carter, Brian Close, Ted Drake, Geoff Hurst, Jim Cumbes, Chris Balderstone come to mind (OK - most of them long before even my time), but it wasn't that long ago that Beefy was training with and turning out for S****horpe.

Donald Ford was, as you say, a fine cricketer and a very decent bloke (for a Jambo).

I'm finally coming to the conclusion (as I advance into the twilight of my years) that I and many others take ourselves and the game of football far too seriously.

Famous Fiver
02-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I was making a light hearted jibe about his obviously confused political affiliation.

Pity I can't enjoy any more light hearted banter with him, he seems to have gone to ground.

--------
02-04-2016, 08:56 PM
I was making a light hearted jibe about his obviously confused political affiliation.

Pity I can't enjoy any more light hearted banter with him, he seems to have gone to ground.

"To engage in banter with the politically confused can only result in heartache ..." (Ancient Persian proverb I've just made up.)