PDA

View Full Version : NHC- Neville sacked

snooky
30-03-2016, 03:56 PM
News flash: Gary Neville has been sacked by Valencia.

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-03-2016, 04:01 PM
No surprise really, he can talk that talk but can't do the walk. Way out of his depth in that league.

PISTOL1875
30-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Always gonna happen I think.. A club full of egos and always going to be a massive challenge keeping them all happy.. Pretty sure Neville will make it as a manager in the future....

Thecat23
30-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Fair play to him for trying management. Many Sky pundits talk a good game but never have the bottle to manage.

I think he should stay in England though as he was struggling with the language barrier. That's if he wants to still be a manager!

Ozyhibby
30-03-2016, 04:15 PM
To me this does not diminish his worth as a pundit at all. They are very different jobs.
Neville has all the attributes to be a good manager except one, experience. He has made the classic mistake of assuming he could just jump in at a top club without the tiresome process of running reserve and age group teams first.
Doesn't make him a bad pundit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haymaker
30-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Not the easiest of jobs to walk into. Should have started at a lower club, build his way up which I think he will do now.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I cant see how he can go back to sky and tell us all how each manager is doing it wrong, and then tell us what they should be doing?

Smartie
30-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Valencia was a poisoned chalice.

Fair play to him for taking it on.

I'd happily listen to someone who knows what it is like to fail and go wrong talking about where people are failing and going wrong. It adds to his value as a pundit imo.

Never liked him as a player, thought I'd hate him as a pundit but was surprised when I liked him almost immediately.

SJM
30-03-2016, 04:24 PM
I cant see how he can go back to sky and tell us all how each manager is doing it wrong, and then tell us what they should be doing?

Unless he's speaking in Spanish giving a lowdown on el Classico on Saturday I don't see the issue myself.

Michael
30-03-2016, 04:30 PM

He is a good pundit. Similarly, Wenger was a poor footballer - does that mean he shouldn't coach footballers?

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2016, 04:35 PM
I cant see how he can go back to sky and tell us all how each manager is doing it wrong, and then tell us what they should be doing?I can and he'll be even better at it now. He is still one of the best English defenders of all time and extremely knowledgeable about football. There is also far more to management than telling a player if he is or isn't doing his job right, especially in a foreign country.

easty
30-03-2016, 04:38 PM
He is a good pundit. Similarly, Wenger was a poor footballer - does that mean he shouldn't coach footballers?

That's not the same thing though is it.

I don't have a problem with Neville going back to being a pundit, he knows football, and if he's analysing a game then he's got plenty experience to call on for his opinions. He might think twice about criticising how a manager has set their team out though.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-03-2016, 04:45 PM

If nothing else, there is a credibility gap.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2016, 05:00 PM

:agree: burnt his bridges a bit. As soon as he makes a critical comment he'll be pounced on.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2016, 05:09 PM
:agree: burnt his bridges a bit. As soon as he makes a critical comment he'll be pounced on.Which is stupid, he should be pounced upon if he is wrong, not because he tried and failed a managers job in a foreign country with a massive club

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Which is stupid, he should be pounced upon if he is wrong, not because he tried and failed a managers job in a foreign country with a massive club

Not saying it's right, just that it will be the automatic reaction of the likes of Big Sam or Jose to deflect any unwanted criticism. Justified or not.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Not saying it's right, just that it will be the automatic reaction of the likes of Big Sam or Jose to deflect any unwanted criticism. Justified or not.Hopefully Neville responds pointing out their massive failures at Newcastle and Chelsea respectively.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Has Wenger won anything as a manager?

CorrieHibs
30-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Terry Butcher is sometimes on sky giving his "expert" analysis. So don't see how Neville can't go back.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Terry Butcher is sometimes on sky giving his "expert" analysis. So don't see how Neville can't go back.

:greengrin

SJM
30-03-2016, 05:43 PM
:agree: burnt his bridges a bit. As soon as he makes a critical comment he'll be pounced on.

Souness isn't?

Hibernia&Alba
30-03-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised he took the job; it was a brave thing to do. Apparently Valencia are in a terrible mess, and he doesn't even speak Spanish. He'll certainly have learnt a lot from it, however, which may help him going forward. He should take a job at a British club and work his way up, IMO.

HibsNutter
30-03-2016, 05:58 PM
He should be able to go back into a pundit role, he has a great knowledge of the game and is indeed a great pundit. However, I get the feeling he won't wish to do so.

He clearly has the attributes to succeed in management, and if given the right club in England I imagine he will.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Souness isn't?

It could be argued that Souness was fairly successful.

And most folk are still **** scared of him.

Lago
30-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Does he not have a coaching role with the England national team?

jdships
30-03-2016, 07:27 PM
No surprise really, he can talk that talk but can't do the walk. Way out of his depth in that league.

Absolutely living off his being ex Man U , I'm sorry to say :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Always thought it was a strange move for him until I realised his connection to the owner. I guess he thought it was too good an opportunity to turn down and one that won't really harm his chances of future management as no one really expected such a rookie manager to succeed in a foreign country anyway.Great experience for him and I am sure it will serve him well whatever he decides to do next. Get him back on SKY with Carra, he was outstanding and sorely missed in my opinion.

B.H.F.C
30-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Always thought it was a strange move for him until I realised his connection to the owner. I guess he thought it was too good an opportunity to turn down and one that won't really harm his chances of future management as no one really expected such a rookie manager to succeed in a foreign country anyway.Great experience for him and I am sure it will serve him well whatever he decides to do next. Get him back on SKY with Carra, he was outstanding and sorely missed in my opinion.

A scouser saying something nice about Gary Neville.....that's a first!

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2016, 08:53 PM
A scouser saying something nice about Gary Neville.....that's a first!

What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch😁

3pm
30-03-2016, 09:29 PM

When appointed, I think he was quoted as saying nobody would have taken him seriously in future (as a pundit) if he'd turned the job down.

SJM
30-03-2016, 09:53 PM
It could be argued that Souness was fairly successful.

And most folk are still **** scared of him.

Fair point. Still a hertz **** 👍

Stevie Reid
31-03-2016, 09:26 AM
When appointed, I think he was quoted as saying nobody would have taken him seriously in future (as a pundit) if he'd turned the job down.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4631447.ece

patch1875
31-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Sure he will be back on sky, it was like he was still sponsored by them the amount of coverage he got.

Good luck to him comes across well as a pundit and on the programme about Salford.

Edson Arantes
31-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Man. United could do worse than Neville.

Got to be better than LVG.

CRAZYHIBBY
31-03-2016, 10:42 AM
I reckon it's racist. There just seems to be far too many white managers being sacked these days

Stevie Reid
31-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Don't care about his time at Valencia, hope he's back on Sky soon - would much rather listen to him than any other pundit.

JimBHibees
02-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Fair play to him for trying management. Many Sky pundits talk a good game but never have the bottle to manage.

I think he should stay in England though as he was struggling with the language barrier. That's if he wants to still be a manager!

Agree at least he had the kahoonas to try it. Very difficult job given the language barrier and different style of football. Let's see how he gets on in England though as you say he could be happy to get a cushy pundit role at Sky again.

When you hear the nonsense that guys like Nicholas and McInally come out with who haven't managed or coached then to me they have much less credibility than others who have. Nicholas in particular struggles with English at the best of times.

JimBHibees
02-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Don't care about his time at Valencia, hope he's back on Sky soon - would much rather listen to him than any other pundit.

Agree his analysis is brilliant and on a different level.

JimBHibees
02-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Man. United could do worse than Neville.

Got to be better than LVG.

On what basis?

Unseen work
02-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Get him in for stubbs.

Pete
02-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Get him in for stubbs.

So your suggestions so far are a dream team of Neville and Nade?

Any more?

Unseen work
02-04-2016, 04:22 PM
So your suggestions so far are a dream team of Neville and Nade?

Any more?

Yes.

James collins and makalambay

Pete
02-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Yes.

James collins and makalambay

:greengrin

My eyes!