PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn Add-Ons

Torto7062
29-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Great to see Super John McGinn getting a start tonight but has this cost Hibs money ?
I would have thought St Mirren would have a clause in the sale i.e as well as the sell-on clause ?

Any ideas if or how much ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
29-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Great to see Super John McGinn getting a start tonight but has this cost Hibs money ?
I would have thought St Mirren would have a clause in the sale i.e as well as the sell-on clause ?

If he's for sale or how much for? What are you talking about man?

1875STEVE
29-03-2016, 08:23 PM

Possibly.

But it will also add to the value of the player if we come to sell him, now an international midfielder. :thumbsup:

Peevemor
29-03-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't think international caps figure in these things, though it obviously could effect his eventual sell on value.

hibby6270
29-03-2016, 08:30 PM

Was McGinn not out of contract when we signed him?
That would mean no cash goes to St Mirren for caps won, sell on fee, etc.

Now he's a full cap though it does increase his transfer sale fee in our favour, if and when he eventually moves away, assuming his good form continues in the next 3 years.

hibby19
29-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Did we not just pay development fee for McGinn as he was out of contract at the end of the season? I'm not sure if those sort of deals would include add ons like a transfer deal might.

Iggy Pope
29-03-2016, 08:35 PM
He's only been here 8 months. What is this pish? Stop it.

green day
29-03-2016, 08:41 PM
He's only been here 8 months

......of a 4 year contract!

Iggy Pope
29-03-2016, 08:44 PM
......of a 4 year contract!

....exactly.

hibby6270
29-03-2016, 08:48 PM
I thought the OP was asking would we have to pay St Mirren a fee because McGinn has won a full cap.
That won't be the case because he was out of contract when we signed him.

Didn't for a minute think this was the start of the "John McGinn - now he's a full international, it's time to sell him" thread.

Calm down everyone!!:confused:

DTS
29-03-2016, 08:48 PM
I think the question was if we'd be due st Mirren money not if it would add value to his potential sale in the future

Billy
29-03-2016, 08:49 PM
McGinn just given the man of the match 👍

hibby6270
29-03-2016, 08:50 PM
18,000+ crowd - poor!!

Super John McGinn named MOTM - erm SUPER!!:thumbsup::top marks

cwilliamson85
29-03-2016, 08:50 PM
MOTM on an international debut.

Iggy Pope
29-03-2016, 08:58 PM
I thought the OP was asking would we have to pay St Mirren a fee because McGinn has won a full cap.
That won't be the case because he was out of contract when we signed him.

Didn't for a minute think this was the start of the "John McGinn - now he's a full international, it's time to sell him" thread.

Calm down everyone!!:confused:

All adds up to the same quivering on yer knees pish. He's ours. Bugger threads about..."aw naw, how, how ....how much will we owe St Mirren when we sell him" Heresy.

high bee
29-03-2016, 09:01 PM
All adds up to the same quivering on yer knees pish. He's ours. Bugger threads about..."aw naw, how, how ....how much will we owe St Mirren when we sell him" Heresy.

I'm pretty sure the question was "would we owe them cash now because he made an international appearance?"

Nothing to do with selling on. It's an add on as opposed to a sell on fee.

FitbaFolkKen
29-03-2016, 09:04 PM

A bit harsh, the guy simply asked if there was any additional fees related to the transfer of John McGinn. It's a reasonable question as lots of transfers now have add ons based on number of appearances, goals, international appearances etc....

If you aren't interested in threads full of "quivering on yer knees pish" then don't read them.

Jonnyboy
29-03-2016, 09:06 PM

It's now been pointed out by several posters that your accusations are wild. :wink:

erin-go-bragh87
29-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Try calming down a bit, re-reading the OP and try again mate.

007 Mickey Weir
29-03-2016, 09:07 PM
We paid cash plus a sell on clause. Prob 20%. So sell for 4.4million like Brown and we would have to give away a massive £880k. Hee hee

NorthHibees
29-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Well deserved MOTM tonight.

Thecat23
29-03-2016, 09:10 PM
As mental as the OP sounds sadly contracts mean nothing and a decent offer in the summer would see McGinn sold. When I say decent it would have to be something special to buy out 3 years and he's one of Scotland's best young prospects!

My opinion though I think he'll be here for another year at least!

Jonnyboy
29-03-2016, 09:13 PM
As mental as the OP sounds sadly contracts mean nothing and a decent offer in the summer would see McGinn sold. When I say decent it would have to be something special to buy out 3 years and he's one of Scotland's best young prospects!

Cat, the OP was nothing to do with McGinn being sold. It was asking whether Hibs will have to pay an additional fee now that McGinn is a full cap

cabbageandribs1875
29-03-2016, 09:13 PM
what a state some on here get in eh :hilarious

scoopyboy
29-03-2016, 09:16 PM
I don't know anything about John McGinn's contract but I do know of a couple of Hibs players who stood to gain a considerable amount if they got capped whilst playing for the club.

I take it Petrie reckoned it would add to their value when they were sold.

CallumLaidlaw
29-03-2016, 09:17 PM
When st mirren had their agm, the chairman apparently quoted that the deal for mcGinn to join us was a 35% sell on clause. Seems very high but that's what it said.

Edit - was 33% and found a few tweets -
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/1ded61b4578f2f54cb0b9bb238e01b66.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/c7186bc4999537efce1e7632725d42ea.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/a30524b77739e98c1b91fd1addf8902d.jpg

ronaldo7
29-03-2016, 09:20 PM
When st mirren had their agm, the chairman apparently quoted that the deal for mcGinn to join us was a 35% sell on clause. Seems very high but that's what it said.

I was told 30% at the time we got him, so it won't be far off the mark.

SunshineOnLeith
29-03-2016, 09:24 PM
MOTM on an international debut.

Does that cost us money as well?

Petrie! :brickwall

greenpaper55
29-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Rod will be drooling as we speak !

Thecat23
29-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Cat, the OP was nothing to do with McGinn being sold. It was asking whether Hibs will have to pay an additional fee now that McGinn is a full cap

Apologies, I have read this wrong!

Edson Arantes
29-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Possibly.

But it will also add to the value of the player if we come to sell him, now an international midfielder. :thumbsup:

International midfielder? :confused:

Come on, he's not exactly John Collins yet is he?

Good wee player but...

hibeemikey21
29-03-2016, 09:47 PM

Good wee player but...

Yes.......he quite literally is :confused:

Jonnyboy
29-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Apologies, I have read this wrong!

:greengrin

lapsedhibee
29-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Does that cost us money as well?

30/33/35% of a bottle of champers.

Dempster!

FranckSuzy
29-03-2016, 10:16 PM

Good wee player but...

Did John McGinn get capped tonight? Yes. Can he therefore be classed as an "International Midfielder"? Yes.

silverhibee
29-03-2016, 10:19 PM

Good wee player but...

Why the :confused:

He is now a International player after tonight. :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
29-03-2016, 10:22 PM

Good wee player but...

:confused: You just have to be trolling!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-03-2016, 10:32 PM
33% [emoji33]

LaMotta
29-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Zidane got sold for £46million, and McGinn is better than him as we all know so he must be worth at least £50million which means we will have to give St Mirren over £16 million if we sell him.

No wonder that St Mirren fan is happy.

monktonharp
29-03-2016, 10:52 PM
All adds up to the same quivering on yer knees pish. He's ours. Bugger threads about..."aw naw, how, how ....how much will we owe St Mirren when we sell him" Heresy.Cool yer jets Iggy ya auld dingle:wink: naebody saying he's in the shoap windae, yet. I think the OP was only raising a point,that would he be sold during his 4 year contract here, would his International recognition suddenly trigger an extra deal made between HFC and the Buddies. :angeldevi

matty_f
29-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Why the :confused:

He is now a International player after tonight. :aok:

No smoke without fire. :agree:

monktonharp
29-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Zidane got sold for £46million, and McGinn is better than him as we all know so he must be worth at least £50million which means we will have to give St Mirren over £16 million if we sell him.

No wonder that St Mirren fan is happy.:aok:And, McGinn disnae bite people, or dae ither sleekit hings. A nice, pleasant and conjenial boy, looks like he was brought up in a jaggy jersey hame though:greengrin

Iggy Pope
30-03-2016, 08:00 AM
It's now been pointed out by several posters that your accusations are wild. :wink:

So they have. Big deal. And the OP seems to be worrying about a sell on clause for a player that's just out the wrapping paper. One could write a book about this sort of stuff.....:wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
30-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I predict a cash + scott brown deal within 2 years

Iggy Pope
Cool yer jets Iggy ya auld dingle:wink: naebody saying he's in the shoap windae, yet. I think the OP was only raising a point,that would he be sold during his 4 year contract here, would his International recognition suddenly trigger an extra deal made between HFC and the Buddies. :angeldevi

:greengrin

Peevemor
So they have. Big deal. And the OP seems to be worrying about a sell on clause for a player that's just out the wrapping paper. One could write a book about this sort of stuff.....:wink:

No he's not.

Iggy Pope
30-03-2016, 08:03 AM
No he's not.

Which bit? The OP bit or the wrapping paper bit?

Peevemor
30-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Which bit? The OP bit or the wrapping paper bit?

The OP. His question was about any immediate payment that may be due.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Yep I could write a book but it would be a work of fiction - just like your interpretation of the OP :greengrin

Iggy Pope
30-03-2016, 08:29 AM
The OP. His question was about any immediate payment that may be due.

So it was.
I've dragged this thread needlessly sideways.
Sorry Torto0762 if you're still reading.

CropleyWasGod
30-03-2016, 08:31 AM
So it was.
I've dragged this thread needlessly sideways.
Sorry Torto0762 if you're still reading.

We could all write books about threads we've misunderstood :greengrin

Torto7062
30-03-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the question was "would we owe them cash now because he made an international appearance?"

Nothing to do with selling on. It's an add on as opposed to a sell on fee.
That's exactly what I meant...some folk jump to conclusions far too quickly...
St Mirren could easily have demanded an Add-On for an International Cap just like they demanded 30 odd % of a sale

The_Exile
30-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Haha, great thread, but yeah, the most common clause in a young promising players contract when he moves on is usually a specified fee to be paid as soon as he receives his first international cap, I would expect something around 100-200k for a player such as McGinn but that would clearly be offset by the increase in transfer value whenever he decides to move on, all very common practice.

J-C
30-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Of course there will be a sell on fee, that's how we could afford to get him in the 1st place, we didn't have £750k St Mirren probably wanted so £200k + sell on gets your man.

hibbysam
30-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Of course there will be a sell on fee, that's how we could afford to get him in the 1st place, we didn't have £750k St Mirren probably wanted so £200k + sell on gets your man.

I have never heard of any club, having to pay £750k in development fees for an out of contract player.

Time For Heroes
30-03-2016, 09:23 AM
The only thing that I have taken away from this thread:
Dont ask questions :greengrin

Billy Whizz
30-03-2016, 10:01 AM
We paid cash plus a sell on clause. Prob 20%. So sell for 4.4million like Brown and we would have to give away a massive £880k. Hee hee

This figure was mentioned at the time of the signing. Someone with connections to St Mirren said we paid a development fee for him, and a 20% sell on clause

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2016, 10:26 AM
One could write a book about this sort of stuff.....:wink:

I doubt JK Rowling will spend too much time in a panic.

Iggy Pope
30-03-2016, 11:31 AM
I doubt JK Rowling will spend too much time in a panic.

And Woooosh!. Nice one. My reply to Jonnyboy was referencing his literary bent.

Maybe I was too hard on myself for dragging the thread sideways.

J-C
30-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I have never heard of any club, having to pay £750k in development fees for an out of contract player.

It was made up numbers, I was just showing how we probably got McGinn, even if it was £200k they wanted for dvelopment fee we probably still didn't have that, so a big sell on % makes up the shortfall.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2016, 12:21 PM
And Woooosh!. Nice one. My reply to Jonnyboy was referencing his literary bent.

Aye, right enough, it was so obvious eh?

Iggy Pope
30-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Aye, right enough, it was so obvious eh?

It did have a wee smiley. :wink: Such is the way.
More of a smile than your side splitting and (given the fact that by the time it came I had retracted), largely pointless retort managed to raise.

HibsNutter
30-03-2016, 02:29 PM
There was a development fee, that's it. It was all St. Mirren could hope to receive.

1875STEVE
30-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Good wee player but...

1 cap = international midfielder. :agree:

What's so confusing???

:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

1875STEVE
30-03-2016, 02:53 PM
There was a development fee, that's it. It was all St. Mirren could hope to receive.

But that's the thing, Hibs couldn't meet the development fee they wanted, I can't remember the figure mentioned.

Deal was struck, iirc, for £130,000 & 33% sell on.

Peevemor
30-03-2016, 03:00 PM
But that's the thing, Hibs couldn't meet the development fee they wanted, I can't remember the figure mentioned.

But is the development fee not based on a calculation, as opposed to being an arbitrary figure? Was there not also talk that McGinn used his impending legal action as leverage?

Edson Arantes
30-03-2016, 04:14 PM
1 cap = international midfielder. :agree:

What's so confusing???

:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

My point was: Can someone be described properly as an international when said individual has one cap?

I know that strictly speaking one cap makes the player an 'international' but, and especially in a friendly, it's a loose term in my opinion.

Is it not more of an appropriate term for someone with a few caps under his belt? eg. John Collins

I reckon most people knew what I meant but are just being pedantic.

Anyway, I'm not confused.

Smartie
30-03-2016, 04:20 PM
My point was: Can someone described properly as an international when said individual has one cap?

I know that strictly speaking one cap makes the player an 'international' but, and especially in a friendly, it's a loose term in my opinion.

Is it not more of an appropriate term for someone with a few caps under his belt? eg. John Collins

Anyway, Im not confused.

He played in an International yesterday - of course he can be described as an International. It may only be one cap but it was in our most recent game.

It would be inaccurate to call him an International if he'd won a cap 10 years ago and was now either not playing or playing at a low level i.e. Garry Kenneth who has played for Scotland but is now playing for Selkirk.

It would be fair to refer to Kenneth as a Scotland cap because they'll never take his cap away from him (er, as long as he doesn't do an "Adam Johnson" I suppose). But he's not a current International so you can't call him a "Scotland International".

jgl07
30-03-2016, 04:51 PM
My point was: Can someone be described properly as an international when said individual has one cap?

Anyway, I'm not confused.
Well you sound very confused,

emerald green
30-03-2016, 04:58 PM

The bit in bold. Three things. If Hibs have to spend another season in the Championship, if season ticket sales are poor, and an offer comes in from Celtic, I think he will be away.

Hope I'm wrong on all three.

Smartie
30-03-2016, 05:01 PM
The bit in bold. Three things. If Hibs have to spend another season in the Championship, if season ticket sales are poor, and an offer comes in from Celtic, I think he will be away.

In a way it is a blessing that The Rangers are the disgusting bigoted shower they are because you could just see them trying their tricks to prise him away for buttons this summer if he was anything other than a Celtic fan from the West coast.

At least Celtic pay the going rate for players.

Edson Arantes
30-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Well you sound very confused,

Well, I'm not.

3pm
30-03-2016, 05:04 PM

No offence to your good self but why does everyone assume it's Celtic he'll go to?

There will be plenty others looking at him. I hope he's got his sights set higher than that mob when he leaves - they were decent a few years back but they are a joke now.

And why did they not sign him 9 months ago?!

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2016, 05:10 PM
must admit surprise at us letting st.mirren have such a high % for a sell-on, sure it's 30% Raith Rovers have for that young laddie we signed few weeks back as well

emerald green
30-03-2016, 05:14 PM
In a way it is a blessing that The Rangers are the disgusting bigoted shower they are because you could just see them trying their tricks to prise him away for buttons this summer if he was anything other than a Celtic fan from the West coast.

At least Celtic pay the going rate for players.

:agree:

No offence to your good self but why does everyone assume it's Celtic he'll go to?

There will be plenty others looking at him. I hope he's got his sights set higher than that mob when he leaves - they were decent a few years back but they are a joke now.

No offence taken 3pm. It's a fans forum and we all have opinions.

I agree other clubs may show an interest in signing McGinn. However, McGinn as far as I'm aware has family connections with Celtic, and they are the reigning Scottish Champions. They are not as good as some Celtic teams of the past that's for sure, but calling them a joke is a bit OTT.

I'm not sure I would say Hibs were a "joke" if they were ever to become Scottish champions again.

I don't know why Celtic didn't sign him 9 months ago. The same question, in reverse, could be said about why did they sign Scott Allan?

Betty Boop
30-03-2016, 05:37 PM
:agree:

No offence taken 3pm. It's a fans forum and we all have opinions.

I agree other clubs may show an interest in signing McGinn. However, McGinn as far as I'm aware has family connections with Celtic, and they are the reigning Scottish Champions. They are not as good as some Celtic teams of the past that's for sure, but calling them a joke is a bit OTT.

I'm not sure I would say Hibs were a "joke" if they were ever to become Scottish champions again.

I don't know why Celtic didn't sign him 9 months ago. The same question, in reverse, could be said about why did they sign Scott Allan?

McGinn's Grandad is Jack McGinn former Celtic Chairman and SFA President.

lapsedhibee
30-03-2016, 06:14 PM
It would be fair to refer to Kenneth as a Scotland cap because they'll never take his cap away from him (er, as long as he doesn't do an "Adam Johnson" I suppose). But he's not a current International so you can't call him a "Scotland International".

Praise The Lord for that. I was thinking that I might have to think of Ian Black as an international midfielder.

emerald green
30-03-2016, 06:21 PM
McGinn's Grandad is Jack McGinn former Celtic Chairman and SFA President.

That's right BB, and it's what I was alluding to in my earlier post. :aok:

Brightside
30-03-2016, 06:41 PM

He has very small eyes?

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2016, 06:42 PM

i thought McGinn was out of contract and i just can't understand how the heck they managed to get a huge % sell-on :confused: iirc McGinn was going to sue st.mirren after that clown steven thompson speared him at training, i was under the impression he would drop the lawsuit(wotever) and st.mirren would drop the fee they were wanting :confused: i'm possibly completely wrong right enough :greengrin

Smartie
30-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Praise The Lord for that. I was thinking that I might have to think of Ian Black as an international midfielder.

Do you mean "Scotland cap Ian Black"?

An unforgivable sin that one.

One of many from Craig "farts fizzy gravy when the going gets a bit tough" Levein.

portyhibernian
30-03-2016, 07:27 PM
i thought McGinn was out of contract and i just can't understand how the heck they managed to get a huge % sell-on :confused: iirc McGinn was going to sue st.mirren after that clown steven thompson speared him at training, i was under the impression he would drop the lawsuit(wotever) and st.mirren would drop the fee they were wanting :confused: i'm possibly completely wrong right enough :greengrin

I remember hearing something similar to what you're saying, find it hard to believe we'd agree to a 33% sell on clause on an out of contract player.

jgl07
30-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Well, I'm not.
Being an internationalist is a binary question. You either are or you are not. You do not become one after some unspecified number of caps, such as how many John Collins has (58).

It's like being pregnant!

McGinn has a cap for Scotland and is an internationalist. So was Keith Wright (1 cap), Darren Jackson (28 caps), and even Brian Kerr (3 caps).

Ringothedog
31-03-2016, 06:23 AM
must admit surprise at us letting st.mirren have such a high % for a sell-on, sure it's 30% Raith Rovers have for that young laddie we signed few weeks back as well

The bottom line is that 30% of nothing is nothing, however if we are fortunate enough to coach them to a higher level and clubs with money wish to buy them then it's a win/win for us and their previous club. It's not uncommon to have this sort of clause, I am sure we had it with Steven Fletcher.

CallumLaidlaw
31-03-2016, 07:15 AM
I remember hearing something similar to what you're saying, find it hard to believe we'd agree to a 33% sell on clause on an out of contract player.

I suppose when a player requires a development fee, it's almost like they're not actually out of contract, as a deal still needs to be done between the clubs and if they can't agree, but the player still signs, then a panel will decide on the value, like Charlie Telfer. Look at January, Hibs were trying to sign the young winger from Kilmarnock who was out of contract. They couldn't agree anything so the player had basically no choice but to sign a new contract as he had nowhere else to go.

Torto7062
31-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Being an internationalist is a binary question. You either are or you are not. You do not become one after some unspecified number of caps, such as how many John Collins has (58).

McGinn has a cap for Scotland and is an internationalist. So was Keith Wright (1 cap), Darren Jackson (28 caps), and even Brian Kerr (3 caps).

Brian Kerr...3 Caps gtf surely not :dizzy::dizzy::eek:

Geo_1875
31-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Brian Kerr...3 Caps gtf surely not :dizzy::dizzy::eek:

3 times the player Ian Black was.

Iggy Pope
31-03-2016, 05:39 PM

Having contributed some of the less-relevant posts on this thread I have to say this is the most succinct.

IWasThere2016
31-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I was told 30% at the time we got him, so it won't be far off the mark.

Someone in the game told me Hibs forego 40% - between St Mirren 30% and player 10%. Sure I posted at the time.

TBH, this is the deal structure we have to adopt if we are signing young rising players for a small fee (which I consider the fee for McGinn to be).

FTR, I cannot see him play another season in the Chumpionship. We go up or he will move IMHO.

J-C
31-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Someone in the game told me Hibs forego 40% - between St Mirren 30% and player 10%. Sure I posted at the time.

TBH, this is the deal structure we have to adopt if we are signing young rising players for a small fee (which I consider the fee for McGinn to be).

FTR, I cannot see him play another season in the Chumpionship. We go up or he will move IMHO.

This is my thoughts too, he's just been capped, he's had a very good season with us and he'll be well sought after.