PDA

View Full Version : baseball

Lancs Harp
27-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Anyone follow it or have a team to follow?

Detroit Tigers for me, family connection.

Haymaker
28-03-2016, 12:32 AM
Boston red Sox for me.

Treadstone
28-03-2016, 10:26 AM
The circus that occasionally calls itself the Dodgers.

James.
28-03-2016, 05:34 PM
The Amazins - the New York Mets for me. Glutton for punishment although I do fancy our chances this year :aok:

Sylar
28-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Detroit Tigers for me too funnily enough! Studied in Michigan for a bit and a close friend took to me Comerica a few times.

I also lived in New England for a bit when I was a bit younger so I grew up supporting the Pawtucket Red Rox - as a result, I also support Boston by association.

Will be keeping my eyes on the Mariners this year too - got a private tour of SafeCo field back in December (which was a pretty memorable experience) and loved Seattle as a city!

Pete
30-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Chicago cubs for some unknown reason.

HH81
30-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Went to San Diego once does that count?

hibsbollah
03-04-2016, 05:32 PM
And so it begins!

Cubbies of course. It's going to be a strange season being every ones tip for the world series this year. Best price is 8/1, ridiculous for the 'lovable losers'.

Treadstone
03-04-2016, 07:49 PM
And so it begins!

Cubbies of course. It's going to be a strange season being every ones top for the world series this year. Best price is 8/1, ridiculous for the 'lovable losers'.

I think 8s is reasonable. Strengthened the line up and weakened the Cards. Should top the standings. Just don't want to see the Mets in a best of seven with that staff but they could have problems getting to October.

hibsbollah
03-04-2016, 09:52 PM
I think 8s is reasonable. Strengthened the line up and weakened the Cards. Should top the standings. Just don't want to see the Mets in a best of seven with that staff but they could have problems getting to October.

There's a curse.

Treadstone
03-04-2016, 11:24 PM
There's a curse.

They used to say that about Boston.

Just Jimmy
05-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Mets. Last year was a great ride. I was in NY for most of the playoffs. Superb.

HibernianJK
05-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Cincinatti Res. Visited friends in Ohio a few years back and took in a game.

Going through a bit of a rebuild so low expectations for this season.

Galahibby
09-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Jays for me. Spent a bit of time in Toronto as a teenager, and got the bug there. Had a few late nights watching the post season playoffs last year. Around 5 hours watching a fantastic 13 innings against Texas, only for them to cock it up in the 14th and get beat 6-4. I have a knack of picking teams that do things like that to me 😫

KNBE
19-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Tigers for me too. No connection other than I liked the name.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

Treadstone
02-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Yoan Moncada a September call up for Red Sox.

hibsbollah
02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Cubs Giants starting on BT Sport at 7:15. Could be a dress rehearsal for the pennant game?

Treadstone
02-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Cubs Giants starting on BT Sport at 7:15. Could be a dress rehearsal for the pennant game?

Potential Divisional series match up. Cubs certs as no. 1 seed Giants looking like Wild Cards.

hibsbollah
02-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Potential Divisional series match up. Cubs certs as no. 1 seed Giants looking like Wild Cards.

I still fancy the Dodgers to blow their lead in the west.

The Cubbies leading 2-1 in the 8th. Lester a machine.

Haymaker
03-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Currently watching the Yankees getting papped by Baltimore. Glorious.

Treadstone
25-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Jose Fernandez dead. Absolutely unbelievable news.

ACLeith
29-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Mets, only because I know someone vaguely who is a big fan - and he gave me a cap last year when he was over for golf.

HibernianJK
30-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Jose Fernandez dead. Absolutely unbelievable news.

Heartbreaking news and so avoidable.

heretoday
01-10-2016, 08:50 AM
This year for the Indians? I've money on it!

Treadstone
05-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Blue Jays vs Rangers. Unmissable. Bad blood still festering from last season and the match ups earlier this year. I'm going for two bench clearings.

Haymaker
06-10-2016, 05:02 AM
Mets lost it on pitcher rotation.

hibsbollah
06-10-2016, 06:27 AM
So its the Giants. It makes sense the Cubs keep winning, the rotation is ridiculously powerful, some really strong young bats led by Kris Bryant, best defence in the league and the Giants are batting .147 against us this season.

...but the Cubs will clearly find a way to mess it up anyway:greengrin

Treadstone
06-10-2016, 10:38 AM
So its the Giants. It makes sense the Cubs keep winning, the rotation is ridiculously powerful, some really strong young bats led by Kris Bryant, best defence in the league and the Giants are batting .147 against us this season.

...but the Cubs will clearly find a way to mess it up anyway:greengrin

And they make sure Bumgarner only faces them once. Cubs offence licking their lips as soon as they knock the Giants starters out.

hibsbollah
08-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Great stuff from the Cubbies at Wrigley Field last night. I know someone who was there and described it as 'religious'!! Also early leads for Toronto over Texas, the Tribe looking good against the Red Sox, and the Dodgers over Washington.

Pete
14-10-2016, 04:12 AM
Still can't believe that ninth inning from the cubs.

Nationals v dodgers bottom of 8 and I can't take my eye off it. Out...dodgers in command!

hibsbollah
14-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Still can't believe that ninth inning from the cubs.

Nationals v dodgers bottom of 8 and I can't take my eye off it. Out...dodgers in command!

It was amazing hitting when it looked like the series would be going to a decider.

Treadstone
16-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Tremendous National League managing last night. Maddon and Roberts not afraid to tear up the sabrmetrics and go with their own nous. Worked out for Maddon although Roberts one pitch away from looking like a genius.

Great stuff.

heretoday
18-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Go Tribe!

hibsbollah
19-10-2016, 07:24 AM
Arrieta doesn't show up, Cubs shut out for the second game, go behind 2-1 to the Dodgers.

heretoday
19-10-2016, 09:21 PM
All going to plan for Cleveland tonight. Young pitcher Merritt blowing them away.

Treadstone
19-10-2016, 11:19 PM
That tribe bullpen!

Sylar
22-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Kershaw to finally step up in the post-season, or will the Cubs march on?!

Pete
23-10-2016, 06:15 AM
2016. The year that sporting jinxes are laid to rest?

Sylar
23-10-2016, 07:20 AM
2016. The year that sporting jinxes are laid to rest?

I think it's a sure-fire sign of the end of days...

snooky
23-10-2016, 09:39 AM
I see the Cubs hibsed it last night.

Onceinawhile
23-10-2016, 10:18 AM
The Cubs have still won the world series more often than we've won the Scottish since 1903.

They've no right to complain.

Treadstone
23-10-2016, 10:54 AM
The Cubs have still won the world series more often than we've won the Scottish since 1900.

They've no right to complain.

No they haven't. Twice each.

hibsbollah
23-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Kershaw absolutely folded under the pressure, unless the number of pitches hes thrown through the playoffs caught up with him.

The scenes from Wrigley are just magnificent. First world series appearance in 70 years and a chance to beat the goat. I cant help thinking the sports media is so used to overhyping mundane events and performances that when something genuinely massively important and historic happens they dont know how to function!

Go Cubs.

Onceinawhile
23-10-2016, 11:21 AM
No they haven't. Twice each.

You are correct. I've edited to make it correct.

HibernianJK
24-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Anyone but the Cubs. Please.

Treadstone
24-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Anyone but the Cubs. Please.

I make the Cubs favourites but it's no shoe in.

Haymaker
27-10-2016, 04:06 AM
That's how you reply. Good game Cubs.

hibsbollah
27-10-2016, 07:09 AM
Arrieta back to his best. Game 3 on Friday night.

Sylar
27-10-2016, 10:01 AM
If the Cubs win the Series in the same year we win the Scottish, I can only assume the apocalypse is upon us.

Treadstone
27-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Imagine that Cubs line up next year with a healthy Schwarber.

hibsbollah
30-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Klubered. Cleveland Indigenous Aboriginal Population 3 Cubbies 1. The dream is hanging by a thread.

Treadstone
30-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Kluber seals the MVP unless Miller is asked for lights out relief appearances in the next three games or Cubs get a miracle.

heretoday
02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Oh dear! Momentum must be with the Cubs now and although I like them I got the Tribe at ten to one some months ago. £200 heading out the door!

hibsbollah
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Absolutely crazy nonsense. Game seven. This series has everything.

Sylar
03-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Utterly amazing scenes. Delighted to see them winning it, in the hardest possible fashion.

hibsbollah
03-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Utterly amazing scenes. Delighted to see them winning it, in the hardest possible fashion.

The two best sporting events ever. Both in 2016!!

My Chicago friends are still drinking at 8am.

heretoday
04-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Baseball can be a dull affair but in a situation like that I can think of few sports to match it.

Haymaker
20-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Very sad to hear that my buddy passed away last night aged 51. Been a life long cubs fan so I'm glad he saw it happen.

Haymaker
03-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Baseball is back! I'll be raising a beer to my buddy Charlie as I watch the World Champions tonight.

Hoping the Red Sox win it this year though!

HibernianJK
03-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Hard to look past the Cubs (feel sick saying that) again this year. The Red Sox have the hitting but not the pitching.

Going to be another tough year for my Reds but the rebuild is nearing fruition so looking for some of the young talent to start contributing soon with eyes on '18 and '19.

Frazerbob
11-04-2017, 04:54 PM
I was at Citi Field on Saturday for Mets v Marlins. Good grief it was murder.....and Baltic! And $7.50 for a bottle of water....wtf!

Haymaker
11-04-2017, 05:37 PM
I was at Citi Field on Saturday for Mets v Marlins. Good grief it was murder.....and Baltic! And $7.50 for a bottle of water....wtf!

American sports venues are outrageous in price.

HibernianJK
12-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Nice start for my Reds this year. Mainly due to improved starting pitching and a (for now) lights out bullpen.

Our best player has barely got going yet. Excited, but not getting ahead of myself.

hibsbollah
10-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Hard to look past the Cubs (feel sick saying that) again this year. The Red Sox have the hitting but not the pitching.

Going to be another tough year for my Reds but the rebuild is nearing fruition so looking for some of the young talent to start contributing soon with eyes on '18 and '19.

Its been a horrible season so far for the champs. They served up a new low last night, superstar pitcher John Lester was an absolute embarrassment as the Pirates scored 10 runs in the first:rolleyes: Offense is no better, Im not sure we have a batter over .280. Looks like Houston and the Dodgers are the powerhouses so far, although I havent seen Houston play.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241390294/pirates-parlay-10-run-1st-into-rout-of-cubs/?game_pk=491432

HibernianJK
10-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Its been a horrible season so far for the champs. They served up a new low last night, superstar pitcher John Lester was an absolute embarrassment as the Pirates scored 10 runs in the first:rolleyes: Offense is no better, Im not sure we have a batter over .280. Looks like Houston and the Dodgers are the powerhouses so far, although I havent seen Houston play.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241390294/pirates-parlay-10-run-1st-into-rout-of-cubs/?game_pk=491432

It's certainly not been a first half that many predicted for the Cubs although the offense should pick up 2nd half. They do look weak in the pitching department though.

Houston are on fire, good on offense and defense. They have such a young team they could be in with a real shot this year. Dodgers look good as well and Washington could do damage with an improved bullpen.

Steady improvement for the Reds. Have been about average bar a 10/11 game losing streak in June.

Sylar
10-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Was at the MLB Battlegrounds event in Hyde Park last week - was a quietly encouraging attendance, though probably not has high as the organisers had hoped.

The aim is to have a proper MLB game in the UK by 2019 - on the evidence of the Battlegrounds event, they've a ways to go if they'll attract a stadium full for a game. I also doubt the scope for a proper game here, unless they do similarly what they do when they play in Australia/Japan (have a regular season series take place during Spring Training). Otherwise the logistics probably don't pan out.

It's been an odd year for the Red Sox thus far. Ruled out early on for not having the pitching, yet it's the pitching performances that currently have the 3.5 game lead. Sale has been exceptionally good, as has Porcello, with consistent relief coming out of the pen. The rotation is definitely good enough to hit the postseason, but it'll be a tough ask to stop Houston if they keep playing the way they are...I keep expecting the momentum to come undone a little.

I feel a little dirty for saying it, but I'm rooting for the Yankee in the HR derby - Judge is a phenomenal talent and I can't wait to see what he does in a hit-happy environment.

Haymaker
11-07-2017, 02:24 AM
Damn that Aaron Judge is outrageous.

Galahibby
24-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Heading to New York at the end of September and, as fate would have it, my team (Jays) are playing at Yankee Stadium 3 out of the 5 days we're there. Result! :aok: Has anyone been, and do you have any tips for the best part of the stadium to sit in to make the most of the occasion? For instance, is a higher level nearer the diamond going to be better or worse than a lower level a bit further out? There is a standing area but I'm not sure I'd fancy standing for potentially 3 hours or more, and the bleachers look like the place to be for atmosphere but I'm not convinced they'd be too comfy to sit on for all that time either. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :greengrin:

Haymaker
24-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Try get behind the plate as much as you can. Depends on how much you want to pay, games will change price depending on time, opponent and who's scheduled to play.

GreenLake
25-07-2017, 12:16 AM
American sports venues are outrageous in price.

Tell me about it.

Haymaker
25-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Tell me about it.

$26 for two beers at RB arena. :rolleyes:

GreenLake
25-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Heading to New York at the end of September and, as fate would have it, my team (Jays) are playing at Yankee Stadium 3 out of the 5 days we're there. Result! :aok: Has anyone been, and do you have any tips for the best part of the stadium to sit in to make the most of the occasion? For instance, is a higher level nearer the diamond going to be better or worse than a lower level a bit further out? There is a standing area but I'm not sure I'd fancy standing for potentially 3 hours or more, and the bleachers look like the place to be for atmosphere but I'm not convinced they'd be too comfy to sit on for all that time either. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :greengrin:

There are Legends Premier seats you won't be able to afford for a baseball game but if NYCFC MLS club are playing you can sit there for $300 maybe. You will see the same place people pay $6000 to sit in. Nice lounge with food and booze and probably top shelf liquor. I almost went last season but my wife had a conflict.

Go to a baseball game in regular seats and an NYCFC game in Legends Premier seats. Harman Lounge etc (http://m.mlb.com/nyy/tickets/info/legends-premier). :greengrin

Live it up!

GreenLake
25-07-2017, 12:33 AM
$26 for two beers at RB arena. :rolleyes:

Stella is $13 at Staples served to the premium seats but in Lexus Club the decent liquor is actually quite reasonable.
Galaxy and next year LAFC is better, with food and drink included in season ticket prices which are cheap to begin with. :party::cheers:

Mayweather vs McGregor is above $10k for seats I could get and I am not sure that comes with anything included.

A beer will be $700 and a hotdog $250. Ketchup and Mustard is $40 a squirt.

Haymaker
25-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Stella is $13 at Staples served to the premium seats but in Lexus Club the decent liquor is actually quite reasonable.
Galaxy and next year LAFC is better, with food and drink included in season ticket prices which are cheap to begin with. :party::cheers:

Mayweather vs McGregor is above $10k for seats I could get and I am not sure that comes with anything included.

Insane.

hibsbollah
25-07-2017, 06:07 AM

I immediately lose respect for anyone who's willing to pay those prices, no matter how rich they are/aren't.

Galahibby
26-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Try get behind the plate as much as you can. Depends on how much you want to pay, games will change price depending on time, opponent and who's scheduled to play.

There are Legends Premier seats you won't be able to afford for a baseball game but if NYCFC MLS club are playing you can sit there for $300 maybe. You will see the same place people pay $6000 to sit in. Nice lounge with food and booze and probably top shelf liquor. I almost went last season but my wife had a conflict.

Go to a baseball game in regular seats and an NYCFC game in Legends Premier seats. Harman Lounge etc (http://m.mlb.com/nyy/tickets/info/legends-premier). :greengrin

Live it up!

Thanks for your replies, guys :aok: It's probably less about affording the expensive seats and more about being willing to pay a fortune though. For the price of one legends premier ticket I can have the pleasure (?!) of watching Hibs for an entire season (although, to be fair, there have been times when I'd have gladly paid extra to have the misery limited to 3 hours a season :wink:) My two pals really aren't baseball fans, but have both said they'd like to go for the experience, so I don't want to take the proverbial with them by asking them to shell out too much either. There are some decent-ish seats relatively near the action for around the $100 mark so I think we'll maybe just go with them. I think I'd be pushing my luck to throw an MLS game into the equation too though, so that'll maybe just have to wait til next time.

Haymaker
26-07-2017, 10:36 PM
To be fair to that dump in the Bronx, it's got good views no matter where you sit.

GreenLake
29-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I immediately lose respect for anyone who's willing to pay those prices, no matter how rich they are/aren't.

I'll manage to live without your respect. :greengrin

Pete
04-08-2017, 03:44 AM
The Rays sell the family silver again but there's something about them. 3/4 in Houston.

They'll sneak into the play offs and go far. You heard it here first.

🍊🍊🍊

hibsbollah
19-08-2017, 09:04 PM
The Dodgers on target to break the Cubs 111 year old record of 116 wins on current pace. 42 games to go. You just know they will blow it when it counts though.

Edit...two weeks on and the Dodgers have collapsed! 1-9 in their last ten games including seven straight losses. They might not even win their division, after all the earlier talk about breaking records.

hibsbollah
15-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Some historic stuff going on in the major leagues tonight on bt sport. Indians going for their ridiculous 23rd consecutive win, and just now the Cardinals have a 2-1 lead over the champion Cubs in the 5th, both fighting for the division.

edit Wow what a 6th inning! Cubs 8 Cardinals 2. The division title getting closer.

Haymaker
16-09-2017, 02:51 AM
Indians lose.

HibernianJK
18-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Incredible run by the Indians.

Dodgers fell apart a bit in September so doesn't look like they will break the Cubs record.

National League MVP race very so close with 4/5 guys looking like the could win it.

heretoday
28-09-2017, 05:04 PM
This year for Cleveland.

HibernianJK
29-09-2017, 11:31 AM
This year for Cleveland.

I agree. Every facet of their game the last 2 months has been incredible.

heretoday
30-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I agree. Every facet of their game the last 2 months has been incredible.

I've backed Cleveland ever since Baseball came on the telly in 1997 or whatever. They had some batting line-up in those days.

heretoday
06-10-2017, 09:07 PM
'Mon the Cleveland!

Galahibby
07-10-2017, 12:23 AM
This is some game!

heretoday
09-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Houston beat the Red Sox in Boston. TV coverage missed the bottom of the ninth because of adverts! Shows what's important in that country.

hibsbollah
09-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Houston beat the Red Sox in Boston. TV coverage missed the bottom of the ninth because of adverts! Shows what's important in that country.
Cubs Nationals super tight. 0-0 in the 6th, series tied at 1-1.
Schwarbers error is a horror.

Haymaker
12-10-2017, 04:01 AM
****ing pinstripe wearing ****s

Sylar
12-10-2017, 07:02 AM
****ing pinstripe wearing ****s

You've got to hand it to them. They just don't know when to lie down!

Haymaker
12-10-2017, 01:26 PM
You've got to hand it to them. They just don't know when to lie down!

Can't wait for the Astros to put them down. Hopefully in an embarrassing sweep.

hibsbollah
12-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Deciding game 5 Cubs Nationals starts shortly. Go Cubs! I just found out that the Nats were previously the Montreal Expos franchise until 2005? That passed me by. So did Washington nit have a franchise until then:dunno:

Haymaker
12-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Deciding game 5 Cubs Nationals starts shortly. Go Cubs! I just found out that the Nats were previously the Montreal Expos franchise until 2005? That passed me by. So did Washington nit have a franchise until then:dunno:

They're the 4th Washington team but between 71-05 they didn't have one.

The Twins and Rangers used to be Washington Senators.

hibsbollah
12-10-2017, 07:16 PM
They're the 4th Washington team but between 71-05 they didn't have one.

The Twins and Rangers used to be Washington Senators.

:aok: strange that the capital never had a franchise for so long.

Haymaker
12-10-2017, 11:07 PM
:aok: strange that the capital never had a franchise for so long.

It is yeah. But you do have Baltimore not far away?

Pete
14-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Astros 2 Yankees 0

Half way there.

Haymaker
14-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Astros 2 Yankees 0

Half way there.

**** yeah!

Pete
21-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Yankees @ Houston decider tonight. Need to try and stay up for this one.

Hope the Astros can prevail and then beat the Dodgers as the people of Houston sort of deserve it.

GreenLake
22-10-2017, 02:29 AM
The dirty hankies are folding like a cheap suit. I am going to do a glory hunt and buy tickets for game 1 and road trip for away games 4 and 5. Can't lose as everyone should want Houston to win this year and if the Jammie win it will be nice for me too.

GreenLake
28-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Freezing in here but the excitement is building. Can't buy a beer as the locals are so hospitable. The Astros looking like favorites now. This place is going to meltdown if they go 3.1 up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171028/53bc945edce2e5c0fa46ac7307288f25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haymaker
30-10-2017, 02:01 AM
**** me this series is AWESOME!!

Haymaker
30-10-2017, 03:00 AM
Holy **** this game is insane!!!

hibby6270
30-10-2017, 03:03 AM
Holy **** this game is insane!!!

You’re not kidding!!
Amazing stuff.

:thumbsup::top marks

Haymaker
30-10-2017, 03:47 AM
You’re not kidding!!
Amazing stuff.

:thumbsup::top marks

This is what it's meant to be. This whole series has been outrageously entertaining!!

hibby6270
30-10-2017, 04:46 AM
This is what it's meant to be. This whole series has been outrageously entertaining!!

Wow!! What a game.
13-12 Astros.
I’m a neutral. Quite a sporting spectacle.
Let’s do it all again on Tuesday - well Wednesday morning for me at any rate.

Thank goodness I’m retired. 😃😜 I’m off to bed.😴😴

hibsbollah
30-10-2017, 06:14 AM

Nothing compares to last year:agree:

GreenLake
30-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Baseball is way more entertaining than I expected. I can't see the Dodgers winning two in a row against Springer et al - they seem to hit any pitcher sooner or later. Relentless.

GreenLake
31-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Baseball is way more entertaining than I expected. I can't see the Dodgers winning two in a row against Springer et al - they seem to hit any pitcher sooner or later. Relentless.

19600Ramping up. A few spots of rain and the clouds are quite dark. Could be some showers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/3e71bf770a6e37db6d17c8719c85c985.jpg

Galahibby
31-10-2017, 11:22 PM
It's going to be tough for the Dodgers against Verlander, he's on fire at the moment. Better not start watching it or I might struggle to get into work in the morning. Enjoy :aok:

Haymaker
01-11-2017, 03:32 AM
Win or go home baseball!

GreenLake
01-11-2017, 04:07 AM
It's going to be tough for the Dodgers against Verlander, he's on fire at the moment. Better not start watching it or I might struggle to get into work in the morning. Enjoy :aok:

I thought Verlander would make it difficult and he did. There was a point with 2 bases loaded they let Springer walk and I thought they would score a few. The conditions made it harder for homers and the Dodgers Stadium is a lot bigger than the Minute Made in Houston.

Game 7 tomorrow and I would hate to pick a winner. It's a coin toss.

Galahibby
01-11-2017, 07:25 AM
I thought Verlander would make it difficult and he did. There was a point with 2 bases loaded they let Springer walk and I thought they would score a few. The conditions made it harder for homers and the Dodgers Stadium is a lot bigger than the Minute Made in Houston.

Brilliant :aok: Are you going tonight?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Sylar
01-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Seriously, what do you do?! I have significant envy of your sport and gig attending lifestyle! :greengrin

Galahibby
01-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Brilliant :aok: Are you going tonight?

Sent from my HTC 10 using TapatalkOr is game 7 back in Houston?

GreenLake
01-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Or is game 7 back in Houston?

We bought tickets for game 7 and it is at Dodger Stadium.

DH1875
01-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Seriously, what do you do?! I have significant envy of your sport and gig attending lifestyle! :greengrin

Your not the only one :agree: Good luck to him though, I'm just jealous :greengrin

GreenLake
01-11-2017, 01:59 PM

We got lucky with biotech stock options.

Nothing compares to watching Hibs at Easter Road!

Sylar
01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
We got lucky with biotech stock options.

Nothing compares to watching Hibs at Easter Road!

You're welcome to my house and ticket for a couple of weeks if you ever want to swap :greengrin

GreenLake
01-11-2017, 04:11 PM
You're welcome to my house and ticket for a couple of weeks if you ever want to swap :greengrin

If I get back there I might take you up on that.

Galahibby
01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
We bought tickets for game 7 and it is at Dodger Stadium.

Superb! I hope you enjoy it. I think I'll stay up for this one. Screw work :wink:

Lancs Harp
01-11-2017, 08:49 PM
I started this thread and seeing as the Tigers have been chronic this season I think we should end any further discussion. Thank you :greengrin

GreenLake
01-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Found a place to buy cans of Stella and we are closer to the field tonight. I didn't know that this is the first game 7 of World Series to be held at the Dodger Stadium.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171101/a5296f35ae237b759a669461ce682b4c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171101/6b9c5cfa663473b926eca7193ce306c7.jpg

Haymaker
02-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Did the Astros just kill the Dodgers as a club?!

GreenLake
02-11-2017, 05:20 AM
Did the Astros just kill the Dodgers as a club?!

lol!

I think the Dodgers were Darvished and I am guessing the decision to play him again came down from above because it was like if Stubbs had picked Oxley in the Scottish Cup final. The guy had a meltdown in game 3 in Houston and gave away 5 runs in the first 2 innings of game 7 which put a huge amount of pressure on the rest of the team. Fair play to Houston who took advantage of the weakness.

I guess we will find out if it was Roberts who picked Darvish because he will be sacked in a few days. If it wasn't him the bosses have no justification to sack him.

The fact Darvish was acquired from the Rangers was not lost on me either. :greengrin

I have too many season tickets already to get a Dodgers one but I will buy few games next year as we can find the time to go. Baseball is a lot of fun to watch, especially in the stadium. I was only going to watch one game and ended up seeing 5 out of 7.

hibby6270
02-11-2017, 02:51 PM
The final game 7 did turn into a bit of an anti-climax but I did manage to stay up until 4am to see the end.:greengrin
Well done Astros on your first win.

Of course, Game 5 was the piece de resistance as far as excitement and see-sawing scorelines was concerned. If anyone watched that game as their first one, they’d be an immediate covert.

As Greenlake states, watching on TV doesn’t do the live experience in the stadium justice. I’ve been to a couple of Blue Jay games whilst on holiday visiting family. Really enjoyed it - but will never replace the buzz of walking to my seat at Easter Road every second week.
GGTTH :flag:

Galahibby
02-11-2017, 07:25 PM
lol!

I have too many season tickets already to get a Dodgers one but I will buy few games next year as we can find the time to go. Baseball is a lot of fun to watch, especially in the stadium. I was only going to watch one game and ended up seeing 5 out of 7.

Trade in one of the other ones :wink:

Although I've been an armchair fan for many years, I only got to my first live game last month (last regular season game at Yankee Stadium) and was totally blown away by it. I've been to basketball and ice hockey games on previous visits and nothing comes close. Even Stan's Bar after the game was up there with anything Easter Road has to offer on match day.

To be fair mind, close on 3 hours sitting in the blazing sunshine drinking beer maybe enhanced the experience :greengrin

Sylar
02-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Think it was unfair to pin the full blame on Darvish last night - sure, he was poor (as he was in his first WS outing) but the Dodgers' offense was abysmal last night. Bellinger's WS record is probably not going to be surpassed for a long while...what was he, 17 outs overall? Woeful.

It's a shame game 7 was a bit of a one-sided damp squib in the end, as the World Series as a whole was tremendous.

As an aside rant, I was so irritated with the 3 young (1 not so) women sitting behind home plate in last night's game. Game 7, the seats probably cost 5 figures, and they didn't see a single pitch! They spent the entire game yammering to each other or looking at their phones!

Sylar
02-11-2017, 08:29 PM
lol!

I think the Dodgers were Darvished and I am guessing the decision to play him again came down from above because it was like if Stubbs had picked Oxley in the Scottish Cup final. The guy had a meltdown in game 3 in Houston and gave away 5 runs in the first 2 innings of game 7 which put a huge amount of pressure on the rest of the team. Fair play to Houston who took advantage of the weakness.

I guess we will find out if it was Roberts who picked Darvish because he will be sacked in a few days. If it wasn't him the bosses have no justification to sack him.

The fact Darvish was acquired from the Rangers was not lost on me either. :greengrin

I'm likely to be spending 3 months in Palo Alto next summer, so I might be pestering you for some company on a trip down to LA during that time! Hopefully later in the summer so I can stretch my visit into football season!

GreenLake
02-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Think it was unfair to pin the full blame on Darvish last night - sure, he was poor (as he was in his first WS outing) but the Dodgers' offense was abysmal last night. Bellinger's WS record is probably not going to be surpassed for a long while...what was he, 17 outs overall? Woeful.

It's a shame game 7 was a bit of a one-sided damp squib in the end, as the World Series as a whole was tremendous.

As an aside rant, I was so irritated with the 3 young (1 not so) women sitting behind home plate in last night's game. Game 7, the seats probably cost 5 figures, and they didn't see a single pitch! They spent the entire game yammering to each other or looking at their phones!

There were plenty there who would only appear for game 7 and probably with someone else paying for the ticket.

I agree there was plenty of failure but there is valid reason someone suggested getting a t-shirt printed with "F*** Yu!" on it.

Bellinger delivered some hits in Houston. I would mention Turner and Seager before blaming a rookie. He needs to work on hitting the inside curve ball for next year.

GreenLake
02-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Trade in one of the other ones :wink:

Although I've been an armchair fan for many years, I only got to my first live game last month (last regular season game at Yankee Stadium) and was totally blown away by it. I've been to basketball and ice hockey games on previous visits and nothing comes close. Even Stan's Bar after the game was up there with anything Easter Road has to offer on match day.

To be fair mind, close on 3 hours sitting in the blazing sunshine drinking beer maybe enhanced the experience :greengrin

I can't trade any of the others, we enjoy the games too much and the drinking too.

GreenLake
02-11-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm likely to be spending 3 months in Palo Alto next summer, so I might be pestering you for some company on a trip down to LA during that time! Hopefully later in the summer so I can stretch my visit into football season!

Summer will be off season for some of my season tickets but there are Galaxy and LAFC games and I can find Dodger tickets no problem. Regular season games are good value. Winter is better for games.

This calendar might be helpful for planning. (http://www.sonsofstevegarvey.com/2008/03/poll-best-time-of-year-sportswise.html)

Haymaker
02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Summer will be off season for some of my season tickets but there are Galaxy and LAFC games and I can find Dodger tickets no problem. Regular season games are good value. Winter is better for games.

This calendar might be helpful for planning. (http://www.sonsofstevegarvey.com/2008/03/poll-best-time-of-year-sportswise.html)

If I ever get over to LA, we'll go for beer or two mate :agree:

Same if you're ever on the east coast!

GreenLake
02-11-2017, 10:32 PM
If I ever get over to LA, we'll go for beer or two mate :agree:

Same if you're ever on the east coast!

East is high on my list for away games. I'll be wearing a Kings jersey or a Hibs jersey or both to see the NY Rangers one day.

Haymaker
02-11-2017, 11:17 PM
East is high on my list for away games. I'll be wearing a Kings jersey or a Hibs jersey or both to see the NY Rangers one day.

Let me know when, I can usually scran some tickets for Rangers games!

Still, 147 days until baseball returns!

Sylar
08-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Really shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Roy Halladay! 2x Cy Young winner and one of the best pitchers of the modern era.

He died after a plane he was piloting crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

Galahibby
14-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Really shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Roy Halladay! 2x Cy Young winner and one of the best pitchers of the modern era.

He died after a plane he was piloting crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

Very sad. A gem of a guy too by all accounts. Hadn't realised that he signed a 1 day contract back in 2013 which ensured he retired a Blue Jay. Class act.

hibsbollah
10-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Cubs sign Yu Darvish to à multi year, $150 million deal.

Haymaker
10-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Cubs sign Yu Darvish to à multi year, $150 million deal.

After the Garappolo deal and this... I should have concentrated on throwing a ball than kicking one.

Sylar
10-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Just stupid money, and if that's what he and his people were looking for, I'm very glad he didn't land in Boston.

There's no doubt he's a talented pitcher, but his 2 outings in the WS last year were hugely questionable of his capabilities on the biggest stage.

Still, I suppose the Cubs had to do something after losing Arrieta.

Sylar
20-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Looks like we're getting a 2 game series in London next year between the Yankees and Red Sox at the London Stadium! :thumbsup:

Haymaker
20-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Looks like we're getting a 2 game series in London next year between the Yankees and Red Sox at the London Stadium! :thumbsup:

I'd rather go to Fenway...

GreenLake
20-03-2018, 09:06 PM

'Mon the Sox

Lancs Harp
22-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Hadn't heard this, great news (even though Im a Tigers fan), is this set in stone or still being negotiated?

hibsbollah
29-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Watching the Cubs game at the Marlins just now. Anthony Rizzo grew up in Parkland where the Florida school massacre took place, so lots of Cubs in Parkland tshirts, banners etc, memorials for the kids. Of course, Rizzo goes up and has just smashed a homer, and the whole stadium, Cubs and Marlins fans, rise to give him a massive ovation. 4-1 Cubs in the 3rd.

Haymaker
29-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Opening day!!! Get in. Means hot weather is on the way!

Sylar
29-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Watching the Cubs game at the Marlins just now. Anthony Rizzo grew up in Parkland where the Florida school massacre took place, so lots of Cubs in Parkland tshirts, banners etc, memorials for the kids. Of course, Rizzo goes up and has just smashed a homer, and the whole stadium, Cubs and Marlins fans, rise to give him a massive ovation. 4-1 Cubs in the 3rd.

Been a great game to get the season underway - Ian Happ smashed the first pitch of the season out of the park.

I thought Miami were going to be trounced after the first few innings, but they've rallied well. It's a good game into the 5th.

Sylar
29-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Opening day!!! Get in. Means hot weather is on the way!

I've spent the past few days here in San Fran hiding from it. It's really warm by the Bay just now.

hibsbollah
29-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Been a great game to get the season underway - Ian Happ smashed the first pitch of the season out of the park.

I thought Miami were going to be trounced after the first few innings, but they've rallied well. It's a good game into the 5th.

I thought they were they were still the Florida Marlins :rolleyes: when they name change?

Haymaker
29-03-2018, 11:32 PM
I've spent the past few days here in San Fran hiding from it. It's really warm by the Bay just now.

Pfft. West coaster.

Galahibby
30-03-2018, 12:11 AM
Jays were woeful [emoji30]

Pete
30-03-2018, 01:51 AM
The Rays.

The David Grays. 😁

lord bunberry
01-04-2021, 08:14 PM
MLB back tonight and for the first time in a few years I’ve got BT sports and the game goes off due to technical difficulties in the 7th. Ffs

Sylar
02-04-2021, 03:11 AM
I've still got an MLB.tv subscription as part of a syndicate - worked out at £40 this year thanks to a rebate on a shortened season last year. £5 for a season of baseball coverage :greengrin

Currently doing the middle-of-the-night feed, so watching the Giants vs Mariners - I've decided I should probably adopt the Giants as my second team since I see them more than any other team on account of working in the Bay Area so often throughout the year. A friend also decided to buy me a lovely Giants logo, knowing I was a baseball fan and love San Francisco, so I'm also putting that to use!

Y*nkees are 0-1, so it's a great start to the season :greengrin

Lancs Harp
02-04-2021, 09:01 AM
Tigers 3 Indians 2

Tigers storm to the top of American League Central :wink:

Go Tigers!!

Haymaker
09-04-2021, 12:48 AM
Absolutely CRUSHING it in my first game of Fantasy Baseball.

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Tigers beat the Yankees 6-1 :thumbsup:

Still bottom of American League Central though:rolleyes:

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-03-2023, 02:24 PM
GB vs Canada on BT Sport 7:30pm tonight in the World Classic if anyones interested, played reasonably well against USA last night so fingers crossed for a better result tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-03-2023, 06:44 PM
An almighty cock up from the GB catcher sees Canada square it up at 3-3 with a double score bottom of the 1st, brutal stuff

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Mercy rule in the 7th Canada win 18-8, not a bad performance from GB but defensively vulnerable and couldn’t close out strikes from 2-2 pitches. Hopefully they learn from this for tomorrow!

Sylar
13-03-2023, 07:08 AM
It's been great to see us represented on this stage (even if the Uniforms and 'British celebrations' have been fairly howling).

I hope it highlights the possibilities for anyone interested in baseball in the UK - we have a pretty thriving league across parts of the country - I was a member of the Guildford Mavericks for a good few years and the league down in the South East in particular is awesome - teams covering a wide geography and 3 levels (from AAA to A).

There's a more limited Scotland league too, featuring a couple of Edinburgh clubs, couple of Glasgow clubs and a team in Aberdeen. Not sure if that's the extent of it tbh!

ErinGoBraghHFC
13-03-2023, 11:13 AM
It's been great to see us represented on this stage (even if the Uniforms and 'British celebrations' have been fairly howling).

I hope it highlights the possibilities for anyone interested in baseball in the UK - we have a pretty thriving league across parts of the country - I was a member of the Guildford Mavericks for a good few years and the league down in the South East in particular is awesome - teams covering a wide geography and 3 levels (from AAA to A).

There's a more limited Scotland league too, featuring a couple of Edinburgh clubs, couple of Glasgow clubs and a team in Aberdeen. Not sure if that's the extent of it tbh!

Totally agree, imo the World Classic is the best way to get new people interested in the sport, not the MLB. Yes the quality in these early matches doesn’t compare outside of your USA, Japan, Korea and at a stretch Canada and Colombia. But that means more runs and that’s what people want to see, I like a good pitching performance don’t get me wrong but it’s not as exciting as a 4 run score homer is it?

ErinGoBraghHFC
13-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Onto the bottom of the 6th and GB lead Colombia 5-3. If GB can see this out it could be huge for British Baseball, calm heads required boys, good luck!

ErinGoBraghHFC
13-03-2023, 10:10 PM
Outstanding from the guys tonight finished up 7-5 to GB [emoji122]

DaveF
14-03-2023, 09:43 AM
I watched this last night, albeit because nothing else was on and it was quite a tense ending. Has to be said though, it's a tough watch and slow as hell.

Anyway, while a great win, how much of a boost to 'british' baseball is this? Pretty sure I heard the commentators say that a lot of the team were from the Bahamas?

ErinGoBraghHFC
14-03-2023, 09:56 PM
I watched this last night, albeit because nothing else was on and it was quite a tense ending. Has to be said though, it's a tough watch and slow as hell.

Anyway, while a great win, how much of a boost to 'british' baseball is this? Pretty sure I heard the commentators say that a lot of the team were from the Bahamas?

A lot of the team are from the Bahamas, the rest of the team are made of UK expats living in the states and Canada I believe. I know what you’re saying but with the first 3 games all starting at tea time GMT and viewership figures being pretty good according to most reports then hopefully it’ll encourage more people to get involved with their local clubs. It really was a tense ending and I’ll admit to being convinced they’d **** it up at one point [emoji23] there’s a few guys in that GB team that have really impressed me, especially Chavez Young and Harry Ford. The games between relatively poor to average teams at this stage are dreadfully slow I’ll agree but if you’re interested the MLB starts up again end of the month, don’t expect as many high scoring games though.

Also because GB have won a game at the WBC now they’ll receive funding from the MLB to help grow the game in the UK. Also the MLB London series is back again this year and hopefully that’ll become a regular occurrence. Just for qualifying GB received $300,000 which is split 50/50 between the players and the governing body, so basically British Baseball pocketed $150,000 extra before the first pitch was thrown. Add into that the revenue from sold merchandise which looks very popular judging by the amount of folk wearing it in the ground every night (thankfully the jerseys aren’t for sale, especially not Gibbaut’s from last night - embarrassing and very amateur looking imo) and it could end up being a game changing amount of money for British Baseball. Baring in mind their operating budget for last year was £25k.

ErinGoBraghHFC
17-03-2023, 03:42 AM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/great-britains-stunning-world-baseball-classic-success-helping-grow-sport-uk/utm7oyd02rmusajps7n1q933?fbclid=IwAR2Z0cRajiWkQp1J HjJ9ndDZaRENaPjX8ef0Wr8ougtWcKwQWJPZh3TNcOg

Good article, bit much calling one win a success imo but it’s better than most expected.

ErinGoBraghHFC
20-03-2023, 12:26 AM
Cuba have been absolutely awful tonight, 9-2 USA in the 5th 🫣

ErinGoBraghHFC
20-03-2023, 12:50 AM
Jesus Christ what a drive from Trea Turner, nearly took the leather off the ball. If he can keep this form up for the Phillies then I honestly fancy us for the World Series

ErinGoBraghHFC
22-03-2023, 02:14 AM
Let no one be in any doubt, Shohei Ohtani is the best in the world. Hands down, no argument to be had, an unbelievable player. Out of contract next off season [emoji102] Phillies need to be offering him the world, imagine him, Harper and Realmuto in the same team?!

DH1875
22-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the London games? I'm in two minds as the ticket prices seem ridiculously expensive.

oconnors_strip
23-03-2023, 07:45 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the London games? I'm in two minds as the ticket prices seem ridiculously expensive.

Me and the husband are going to the Sunday game, we are big Cardinals fans and will be great to see them play in London! (Have seen them play a few times in the states) We had tickets for the original fixtures but got cancelled due to Covid.

ErinGoBraghHFC
29-03-2023, 06:31 PM

Not this year but planning to go for next years, regardless of who is playing tbh

Sylar
29-03-2023, 09:29 PM

There's genuinely not much difference for me in buying a flight to the States and getting a ticket for an actual home game!

I'm out in San Francisco again for work later this summer when the Giants have 3 home-series' so I've got tickets for 6 games. Can't wait for live baseball again.

ErinGoBraghHFC
29-03-2023, 09:59 PM
There's genuinely not much difference for me in buying a flight to the States and getting a ticket for an actual home game!

I'm out in San Francisco again for work later this summer when the Giants have 3 home-series' so I've got tickets for 6 games. Can't wait for live baseball again.

Fair play - I’m looking at getting away to Philadelphia some point in August for a week, been a while since I was in the states for a live game

ErinGoBraghHFC
30-03-2023, 08:35 PM
Doesn’t look like a good opening day for the Red Sox so far, what a shame [emoji23]

ErinGoBraghHFC
30-03-2023, 09:19 PM
Doesn’t look like a good opening day for the Red Sox so far, what a shame [emoji23]

I am now beginning to regret this statement

ErinGoBraghHFC
30-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Good to see the Phillies have sorted out their pitching, 9 runs given up in one inning [emoji23] **** me man, makes supporting hibs seem easy

ErinGoBraghHFC
09-04-2023, 10:42 PM
Ordered a new Rawlings glove and got some glove butter to help break it in (didn’t bother for the last one I had and just put up with the blisters), anyone here have any idea what the best way to apply it is? Useless with this type of thing.

heretoday
15-04-2023, 04:24 PM
This year for Cleveland?

Thought not.

ErinGoBraghHFC
15-04-2023, 04:47 PM
This year for Cleveland?

Thought not.

Not a chance, although as long as the astros don’t win the WS I’ll be happy enough

Tambo
24-06-2023, 08:26 PM
I have just got back into baseball past month or so after a good few years, had my weeks free trial on mlb.tv and watch the free game of the day when I can.

Enjoyed watching the first game of the London Series and looking forward to tomorrow's game, currently watching the Yankies atm seem to be struggling for runs since Judge out injured.

The world baseball classic seemed fun from the highlights I watched on YouTube.

ErinGoBraghHFC
05-03-2024, 07:59 PM
Watching Padres @ Diamondbacks just now, first game of spring training I’ve ive managed to find the time to sit and watch. Good to have it back . Roll on the London Series, excited now!

Haymaker
07-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Well the Red Sox season is over before it even started so that's me out for the season

Colr
09-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Well the Red Sox season is over before it even started so that's me out for the season

Got tickets for the Red Sox v Yankees in the summer. I’ve never been to a game before!

ErinGoBraghHFC
09-03-2024, 08:53 PM
Got tickets for the Red Sox v Yankees in the summer. I’ve never been to a game before!

Yankee Stadium or Fenway? Either way two lovely ball parks and you’ll have a ball mate, enjoy!

Haymaker
09-03-2024, 11:18 PM
Yankee Stadium or Fenway? Either way two lovely ball parks and you’ll have a ball mate, enjoy!

Yankee stadium? I'd rather get a season ticket to Tynecastle than that ****hole :greengrin

Haymaker
09-03-2024, 11:19 PM

I'm hoping to get to some games this year as well but they're never in sync with my work!

ErinGoBraghHFC
21-03-2024, 07:03 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68622772

Bit of a mental story coming out of LA

ErinGoBraghHFC
29-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Opening day in Philly, hopefully get a win over the Braves but if not I’ve a mountain of scran and Guinness to soften the blow. Really fancy us to make the NL championship game this year but I can’t see it being anyone other than the Dodgers that make it to and ultimately win the WS.

Lancs Harp
05-04-2024, 07:51 PM
Great start for the Tigers 6 wins 1 loss and six of those games have been on the road. First home game today beat the A's 5-4. "Opening" day, as in first home game of the season, always a massive event in Detroit.