PDA

View Full Version : youngsters ?

biffo1875
24-03-2016, 06:32 PM
anyone know if we have any " really good young players " coming through the ranks ? ggtth

3pm
24-03-2016, 06:41 PM
I have been to a few of the development games. I like Penn and Teller. They are magic.

Jonnyboy
24-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I have been to a few of the development games. I like Penn and Teller. They are magic.

:tee hee:

Which one has the staying power of a Dynamo?

Speedy
24-03-2016, 08:27 PM
:tee hee:

Which one has the staying power of a Dynamo?

Think we have another pun thread on the cards!?

Unseen work
25-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Think the next 3 will be crane, Martin and mackie from raith.

Lewis allan returns on loan in the summer but don't think he has set the heathery alight out on loan

007 Mickey Weir
25-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Think the next 3 will be crane, Martin and mackie from raith.

Lewis allan returns on loan in the summer but don't think he has set the heathery alight out on loan

Lewis Allan has been injured most of the season. Was doing really well before then.

Ozyhibby
25-03-2016, 09:42 AM
With young players it's hard to tell until they have played first team football. Doing well while out on loan is usually a good indicator though and Martin seems to have been producing the goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
25-03-2016, 10:16 AM
It is slightly concerning that since investing millions into our state of art training complex we've yet to produce a youngster who has been able to challenge for a first team place on a regular basis. Where's the next Brown, Fletcher etc? Appreciate only a small proportion make the transition from youths to the first team but I can't think of 1 over the last few years that I would be disappointed to see the back of. Don't think we can count Cummings as one since her came to us late on.

J-C
25-03-2016, 10:23 AM
It is slightly concerning that since investing millions into our state of art training complex we've yet to produce a youngster who has been able to challenge for a first team place on a regular basis. Where's the next Brown, Fletcher etc? Appreciate only a small proportion make the transition to youths to the first team but I can't think of 1 over the last few years that I would be disappointed to see the back of. Don't think we can count Cummings as one since her came to us late on.

I think it was more down to our previous regime in charge of the youth academy, McDonagh as good a guy as he was produced technically gifted players but they were nowhere near physically/mentally ready for the 1st team, unlike our neighbours who's lads are all ready to go when they hit 19. Just look at Harris, Stanton and Handling, technically very good but look like wee kids, now look at McGinn, Henderson and Fyvie, a similar age but 3-4 years ahead in their development.

May and McBride were brought in to get players 1st team ready, this will not happen over night and may take 3-4 years before we produce 1 or 2 players.

Giro Playboy
25-03-2016, 11:12 AM
In 2009 Hibs Youths won the league and cup double.
This is the team that beat Rangers in the cup final. Calum Booth was the only one who made the 1st team. The rest disappeared without trace.

Paul Grant; Calum Burns, Aaron Chalmers, Scott Smith, Callum Booth; Lewis Horner (Keith Murray 74mins), Scott Taggart, Tom McCready, Matthew Welsh (Mark Lancaster 74mins); Fergus Bell, David Love (Jon Wright

overdrive
25-03-2016, 11:47 AM
This is the team that beat Rangers in the cup final. Calum Booth was the only one who made the 1st team. The rest disappeared without trace.

Paul Grant; Calum Burns, Aaron Chalmers, Scott Smith, Callum Booth; Lewis Horner (Keith Murray 74mins), Scott Taggart, Tom McCready, Matthew Welsh (Mark Lancaster 74mins); Fergus Bell, David Love (Jon Wright

Are you sure that was the team? I think that is a much later team. Pretty sure Lewis Horner wasn't even at the Club when we won the Scottish Youth Cup. Incidentally, Horner played against us recently for Inverness.

According to The Scotsman this was the team:

Flynn; Park, Moyes (Welch 111), Smith, Booth; Russell, Wotherspoon, Currie, Bell (Kelly 88); Byrne, Deane (Taggart 82). Subs not used: Graham, Murray.

Your point still stands as only Wotherspoon made it into the first team alongside Booth. Hanlon would have been part of that side but he had already been promoted to the first team. Sean Welsh who was injured for that game is captain at Partick Thistle, so despite not making at Hibs has at least 'made it' at SPL-level.

oconnors_strip
25-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Don't know where you got that team list from but that is wrong. Kurtis Byrne scored the winning goal. Sean Welsh was injured but lifted the cup on the night

Team was- Thomas Flynn, Ally Park, Ewan Moyes, Scott Smith, Callum Booth, Ollie Russell, David Wotherspoon, Lee Currie, Fergus Bell, Kurtis Byrne, Patrick Deane
Substitutes:
Lewis Graham, Matthew Welch, Darren Kelly, Keith Murray, Scott Taggart

Giro Playboy
25-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I've posted the wrong team. In fact I can't even find the site I got it from.
On checking wiki I notice that the Rangers team that we beat had Dylan McGeouch on the bench.

GreenArmy1875
25-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Can anyone remember Patrick Deane? He was a big lump of a centre forward that scored goals

McD
25-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Can anyone remember Patrick Deane? He was a big lump of a centre forward that scored goals

Yeah, struggled at first team level sadly.

had really high hopes for Sean Welsh, but it never came to pass for him at hibs

Hermit Crab
26-03-2016, 07:28 AM
We have Insall out on loan at East Fife scoring goals. Although he's slightly older than most of the youth squad, still a decent prospect. I wonder if he'll be given a chance next season.

3pm
26-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Oli Shaw. Ben Stirling.

superfurryhibby
26-03-2016, 08:43 AM
We have Insall out on loan at East Fife scoring goals. Although he's slightly older than most of the youth squad, still a decent prospect. I wonder if he'll be given a chance next season.

Think he has done well. They look well placed to win their league and Insall has scored 7 goals in 12 starts ( with an additional 5 appearances from the bench). Not a bad record in League which is probably better than the ones he played in down south.

Would love to see him challenge for a place next season.

It would also be good to see that young left back emerge and put pressure on Lewis. Left back is almost without competition.

Bishop Hibee
26-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I read an interview with Insall saying he's lost 2 stone since training with Hibs and East Fife! His attitude seems spot on. Let's hope he has the ability to match.

dafthibby
26-03-2016, 11:42 AM
I blame fenlon for getting rid of the youths that should be coming through, and all the loans brought in not developing our youngsters within the squad

Eyrie
26-03-2016, 11:52 AM
I blame fenlon for getting rid of the youths that should be coming through, and all the loans brought in not developing our youngsters within the squad

How many of those youths are currently starring elsewhere?

ekhibee
26-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Don't know where you got that team list from but that is wrong. Kurtis Byrne scored the winning goal. Sean Welsh was injured but lifted the cup on the night

Team was- Thomas Flynn, Ally Park, Ewan Moyes, Scott Smith, Callum Booth, Ollie Russell, David Wotherspoon, Lee Currie, Fergus Bell, Kurtis Byrne, Patrick Deane
Substitutes:
Lewis Graham, Matthew Welch, Darren Kelly, Keith Murray, Scott Taggart
Yep, quite right, I was at that game and Byrne definitely scored the winner. What happened to Curtis Byrne anyway? I remember him playing a couple of games for the first team but then never really heard much of him after that. He was young when he had those games for the 1st team, thought he might have got more of a chance to prove himself, but maybe there were other reasons.

oconnors_strip
26-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Yep, quite right, I was at that game and Byrne definitely scored the winner. What happened to Curtis Byrne anyway? I remember him playing a couple of games for the first team but then never really heard much of him after that. He was young when he had those games for the 1st team, thought he might have got more of a chance to prove himself, but maybe there were other reasons.

Kurtis plays for the bohemians this season after being with Dundalk for a couple of years