PDA

View Full Version : NHC Johan Cruyff R.I.P.

Kato
24-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Sad news

On March 24 2016 Johan Cruyff (68) died peacefully in Barcelona, surrounded by his family after a hard fought battle with cancer. It’s with great sadness that we ask you to respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.

https://www.worldofjohancruyff.com/

NAE NOOKIE
24-03-2016, 12:33 PM
RIP ............. A true legend in the history of world football.

Iggy Pope
24-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Sad news

On March 24 2016 Johan Cruyff (68) died peacefully in Barcelona, surrounded by his family after a hard fought battle with cancer. It’s with great sadness that we ask you to respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.

https://www.worldofjohancruyff.com/

Awful news. Best player in the world 73/74 and a hero to a generation of kids watching their first World Cup properly.

cabbageandribs1875
24-03-2016, 12:40 PM
RIP Johan cruyff without a doubt one of the greatest strikers to have played the game

one of his quotes

In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

didn't know he was a heavy smoker

Billy Whizz
24-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Awful news. Best player in the world 73/74 and a hero to a generation of kids watching their first World Cup properly.

Awful news
Best player in the 70's and my hero too

lyonhibs
24-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Awful news. An absolute legend who more or less completely reinvented the wheel in the mid 70's and onwards.

Cool as f*** as well.

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2016, 12:54 PM
RIP Johan cruyff without a doubt one of the greatest strikers to have played the game

one of his quotes

In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

didn't know he was a heavy smoker

I think it was Berti Vogts who told the story that, when the West Germans turned up for the 1974 WC Final, they were greeted by the sight of Cruyff leaning on the wall, having a fag. :greengrin

Edson Arantes
24-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Extremely sad news.

Geo_1875
24-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I think it was Berti Vogts who told the story that, when the West Germans turned up for the 1974 WC Final, they were greeted by the sight of Cruyff leaning on the wall, having a fag. :greengrin

Remember seeing a photo of him and Socrates talking outside a stadium and both were puffing like chimneys

SJM
24-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Sad news. RIP.

southsider
24-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Sad news. RIP.
Yes, very heavy smoker even in his playing days. Had an amazing career bot as a player, coach and manager. Even built the foundations for Barca's La Masia. Picked out Pep as a future manager of that great Club. RIP to a real legend.

superfurryhibby
24-03-2016, 01:17 PM
RIP to another footballing great. Bon viatge Cruyff.

Hibernia&Alba
24-03-2016, 01:19 PM
One of the all time greats and the leader of the legendary Ajax and Holland teams of the early seventies. It's a great shame. RIP.

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I was at this game.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vse6QE-wyx0

As a young boy, Cruyff's goal was the best I'd ever seen at that point. Me and my (Hibby) Uncle stood and cheered. My (bluenose) Granda suggested that we sit on our erses, for our own safety. :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
24-03-2016, 01:28 PM
One of the first greats in my young eyes. I watched his mesmerising performances for Holland at the World Cup in Germany in 1974 and after Scotland were eliminated from the tournament (undefeated!!) I rooted for the Dutch, who were simply wonderful to watch. Their "pure football" was deserving of a World Cup winners medal, but a clinical and efficient German team ensured that they were runners up. Sadly, they lost out in the final in 1978, too, albeit to a great Argentine side. Yes, Cruyff's tricks and speed of thought were inspirational and pure entertainment.

Pat 0-7
24-03-2016, 01:30 PM
RIP to one of the greats of the game. Different class at the 74 World Cup.

Kato
24-03-2016, 01:32 PM
One of the first greats in my young eyes. I watched his mesmerising performances for Holland at the World Cup in Germany in 1974 and after Scotland were eliminated from the tournament (undefeated!!) I rooted for the Dutch, who were simply wonderful to watch. Their "pure football" was deserving of a World Cup winners medal, but a clinical and efficient German team ensured that they were runners up. Sadly, they lost out in the final in 1978, too, albeit to a great Argentine side. Yes, Cruyff's tricks and speed of thought were inspirational and pure entertainment.

Bit of a cliche. A great side with some truly great individuals.

Andy.1875
24-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Great player in the 74 World Cup. RIP.

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately Cruyff didnt play in the 78 World cup think he fell out with the coach. Sad news what a wonderful player he was and the teams he coached played great football also.

TheFall
24-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Remember seeing a photo of him and Socrates talking outside a stadium and both were puffing like chimneys

and now both are dead at ages of 57 & 68.
Smoking is truly one of the scourges of the world.

Giro Playboy
24-03-2016, 02:08 PM
He was a man of principle too. He refused to play at the 78 World Cup because of the Argentine governments human rights record

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2016, 02:09 PM
He was a man of principle too. He refused to play at the 78 World Cup because of the Argentine governments human rights record

Not true, according to this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

Roxyhibee
24-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I was at this game.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vse6QE-wyx0

As a young boy, Cruyff's goal was the best I'd ever seen at that point. Me and my (Hibby) Uncle stood and cheered. My (bluenose) Granda suggested that we sit on our erses, for our own safety. :greengrin

Haha. Excellent little story there involving the great Cruyff.

What a special football player and athlete. Pleasure to have seen those images of his unbelievable skills coming through our tv screens in the 70's..

Hibernia&Alba
24-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Was he a heavy smoker whilst he was playing?

TheFall
24-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Not true, according to this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

If you look at the bottom of this piece you will see it was written by a Hibs fans favourite

Onion
24-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Terribly sad. Football legend.

2016 is proving to be a horrible year for the early passing of too many great people.

Pete
24-03-2016, 02:55 PM
If you look at him in an Adidas kit you will see his only has two stripes while everyone else has three. Can you imagine someone trying that today? :cool2:

number9dream
24-03-2016, 02:56 PM
A footballing genius...

Lots of great clips of the great man available but this is a good watch - his final season at Feyenoord, with a huge GIRUY to Ajax, who had cast him aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-_Z4Rolx4

J-C
24-03-2016, 02:57 PM
RIP Johan a true great in the footballing world, 2016 is starting to become a really crap year for far too many famous people taken too bloody young.

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 03:08 PM
A footballing genius...

Lots of great clips of the great man available but this is a good watch - his final season at Feyenoord, with a huge GIRUY to Ajax, who had cast him aside.

Some of the stuff in that is superb. Absolute footballing genius the long passes with the spin to kill the ball are tremendous.

Craig_HFC
24-03-2016, 03:16 PM
"Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is."

RIP, Johann.

TheFall
24-03-2016, 03:43 PM
A footballing genius...

Thats great footage. Not an ounce of fat on him.
I have never seen a 36 year old play with that vitality.

Baader
24-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Sad news. One of the greatest players ever. And one of the coolest too.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-03-2016, 04:30 PM
A pleasure to watch him when he was playing, an absolute dream of a football player.

RIP Genius.

GreenLake
24-03-2016, 05:13 PM
"We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You'll get it back in no time."

Class player and a great thinker. RIP

LustForLeith
24-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Never saw him play but seen enough clips and heard enough about him to have nothing but the upmost respect for him.

I often thought he was never given the recogniaiton he deserved for being a coach

SuperAllyMcleod
24-03-2016, 05:16 PM
A footballing genius...

That's a fabulous watch - truly the greatest passer of a ball I've ever seen and some wonderful examples in there.

davy malcolm
24-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Great player

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
24-03-2016, 05:20 PM
A footballing genius...

Fantastic video. One of a kind. Reminds me of the older generation talking about Gordon Smith being allowed to leave Hibs and being instrumental in Hearts and then Dundee winning the title.

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2016, 05:33 PM
I was on holiday in Sitges in 2004.

Next door was an outdoor all-weather pitch. From my balcony, I was watching what seemed to be a kickabout by some oldies.

Turned out to be a bunch of old pros doing a Masters thing. The de Boers , Luis Enrique, various Barca guys. While I was watching it "live", my boy was watching it on telly.

And, of course, Number 14 was there.....

emerald green
24-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Johan Cruyff's record as a player with Ajax & Barcelona is phenomenal, especially winning three consecutive European Cups with Ajax in 1971/2/3. That was when the European Cup really was only played for by champions, and I think it was purely a knock-out competition in those days. No mini-leagues. No second chances.

Add numerous other trophies, including eight Dutch league titles, and four consecutive league titles with Barcelona as their manager.

European footballer of the year three times. The only thing he didn't win was the World Cup.

Johann Cruyff - the legend.

JK Rolling
24-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Awful news
Best player in the 70's and my hero too

Ditto to this.

Scottie
24-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Sad news. One of the greatest players ever. And one of the coolest too.
:agree: One of the best ever. RIP

xyz23jc
24-03-2016, 07:31 PM
RIP ............. A true legend in the history of world football.

100% my thoughts exactly, sad day!:agree:

xyz23jc
24-03-2016, 07:33 PM
"We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You'll get it back in no time."

Class player and a great thinker. RIP

That's true genius! Love it! :agree:

Jonnyboy
24-03-2016, 07:37 PM
A footballing genius who deserves the right to be included in the giants of the game.

RIP Johan

ballengeich
24-03-2016, 08:04 PM
RIP one of the greats. I saw him live once playing for Barcelona in a friendly against Sparta Rotterdam just after he'd joined them. I'd have liked to see more.

Scorrie
24-03-2016, 08:15 PM
In actually saw Cruyff play for Ajax when they played Celtic in 1982 at Parkhead. I went with a Celtic supporting mate and stood in the Jungle. A fantastic match which ended 2-2 and Cruyff actually gave away a penalty. Ticket only cost about a fiver from what I can remember!

Giro Playboy
24-03-2016, 08:57 PM
If you look at him in an Adidas kit you will see his only has two stripes while everyone else has three. Can you imagine someone trying that today? :cool2: That was because the team were sponsored by Adidas but Cruyff had a personal sponsorship with Nike.

Spike Mandela
24-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Along with Beckenbauer, Cruyff was the first football superstar I can remember. What a player.:flag:

snooky
24-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Johan Cruyff's record as a player with Ajax & Barcelona is phenomenal, especially winning three consecutive European Cups with Ajax in 1971/2/3. That was when the European Cup really was only played for by champions, and I think it was purely a knock-out competition in those days. No mini-leagues. No second chances.

Add numerous other trophies, including eight Dutch league titles, and four consecutive league titles with Barcelona as their manager.

European footballer of the year three times. The only thing he didn't win was the World Cup.

Johann Cruyff - the legend.

Class act from start to finish. One of the few true artists of the game.
So he didn't win the World Cup? Well, neither did Leonardo Di Vinci or Segovia.

doddsy
24-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Condolences to a football legend. I remember him particularly in the 74 and 78 world cups. R.I.P.

McD
24-03-2016, 09:15 PM
That was because the team were sponsored by Adidas but Cruyff had a personal sponsorship with Nike.

Correct story, wrong company. Cruyff was sponsored by Puma

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Condolences to a football legend. I remember him particularly in the 74 and 78 world cups. R.I.P.

Didn't play 78 WC.

mjhibby
25-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Was just sublime as a footballer. Superb vision,ball control,passing,timing of runs. Nobody in the modern game and that includes Messi and the rest come close to him. To think the treatment he had to endure that nowadays would have players sent off in the first few mins shows how magnificent he was. I was spoiled as a youngster with the 70s Brazil team,the Dutch team etc. With the diving,conning refs and all but banning of tackling I think it is a golden age we are unlikely to ever see again.

jacomo
25-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Was just sublime as a footballer. Superb vision,ball control,passing,timing of runs. Nobody in the modern game and that includes Messi and the rest come close to him. To think the treatment he had to endure that nowadays would have players sent off in the first few mins shows how magnificent he was. I was spoiled as a youngster with the 70s Brazil team,the Dutch team etc. With the diving,conning refs and all but banning of tackling I think it is a golden age we are unlikely to ever see again.

By the same token, heavy smoker Cryuff wouldn't last until half time in the modern game - or he'd be so off the pace that his contribution would be massively reduced.

He was the best at the time, though, and an all-time great. The tributes are richly deserved.

eastterrace
25-03-2016, 09:37 PM
By the same token, heavy smoker Cryuff wouldn't last until half time in the modern game - or he'd be so off the pace that his contribution would be massively reduced. He was the best at the time, though, and an all-time great. The tributes are richly deserved. total bollocks

majorhibs
25-03-2016, 11:03 PM
By the same token, heavy smoker Cryuff wouldn't last until half time in the modern game - or he'd be so off the pace that his contribution would be massively reduced.

He was the best at the time, though, and an all-time great. The tributes are richly deserved.

By the same token, the genius that was Johan Cruyff would have looked around, adjusted as required, & do now what he did then. Elevate himself above normal players because he was a genius. Kind of unlike you & your comment.

NorthHibees
26-03-2016, 11:55 AM
A true footballing genius.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2016, 12:06 PM

A strange comparison to make different eras in every sport won't be able to match or compete physically with todays athletes so not sure of your point. He could only compete in his own era and he was the best.

jacomo
26-03-2016, 01:00 PM
A strange comparison to make different eras in every sport won't be able to match or compete physically with todays athletes so not sure of your point. He could only compete in his own era and he was the best.

I agree with you. I did not bring up the comparison with today's players - my point was that, genius though he was, it's quite a stretch to say he'd be head and shoulders better than anyone else were he playing today.

We can't know that. But we can see what his contribution was as a player and manager in his time.

ben johnson
27-03-2016, 12:38 PM

I think you could liken it to the boat race in London. A load of guys working very hard and the cox , say number 14 , keeping them straight and directing traffic.