PDA

View Full Version : Fakirk now in the driving seat

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 11:21 PM
or so it seems according to Houston's recent comments. to a degree, I do go with what he's said because Stubbs was a wee bit premature with comments about only 2 teams going to be in the race. they have 6 points in the bag, which we need to get added to the real possibility that they can be 9 ahead, if they beat Livi this weekend.I know where i'd rather be. I suppose we can still beat Falkirk at ER, but do we still have them away?. worrying times.

GreenLake
23-03-2016, 11:26 PM
We have them just where we want them.

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 11:30 PM
We have them just where we want them.Aye, looks like we have them by the baws.

Nicho87
23-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Saw an interesting point on twitter that after same amount of games as last year we are same points. I thought we would be quite a bit better of but the last month obviously has been crushing

GreenLake
23-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Aye, looks like we have them by the baws.

We are much more likely to **** them if we are breathing down their necks.

Hi Heid Yin
24-03-2016, 01:27 AM
It's hard to disagree with Houston's logic that Falkirk are in the driving seat. They are 6 points ahead of us with a superior goal difference, with no games crammed in or cup semi's/final's to distract and drain.
Were Falkirk to go 9 ahead of us, then that really is a big, BIG ask of our lot to clinch 2nd spot.
Still, football is a funny old game and who knows what will happen between now and the seasons end.
I remain hopeful that we can turn around this present appalling run of defeats and sub-standard performances.

007 Mickey Weir
24-03-2016, 06:03 AM
We also have to play them and Rangers within a week. Every game needs to be treated like a cup final now.

Spike Mandela
24-03-2016, 06:37 AM
If they clinch 2nd do you think they will have an open top bus parade?

What Hibs, Raith or Falkirk do between now and the playoffs decides whether they play a quarter final tie or not. Preferable to get a bye to the semi but not the end of the world if you don't

Ultimately for all teams involved it's what you do IN the playoffs not how you get there.

Heisenberg
24-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I feel like we made too much of finishing second last season. Felt like we'd actually achieved something when we'd really done **** all except manage to avoid two games. A two week break later and we get beaten by a terrible Sevco side.

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 06:52 AM
I feel like we made too much of finishing second last season. Felt like we'd actually achieved something when we'd really done **** all except manage to avoid two games. A two week break later and we get beaten by a terrible Sevco side.

Tend to agree not sure the break helped last season however one less round means one less chance of being knocked out. :greengrin

lucky
24-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Rangers showed last year finishing third means very little in the play offs. Let Houston shout his mouth off. This break will do us the world off good before we get back down business

HFC 0-7
24-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Disagree, we always seem to start tailing off towards the end of the season so having 2 less games is a massive benefit. This season the team looks even worse off for all the games so another 2 games packed in isnt ideal. When we are playing so poor having 2 less games to achieve your goal is a huge bonus!

Waxy
24-03-2016, 07:49 AM
We need the midfield to chip in with goals. Probably the worst thing about not having Scott Allen. He did his fair share of goalsscoring.

easty
24-03-2016, 07:54 AM
We need the midfield to chip in with goals. Probably the worst thing about not having Scott Allen. He did his fair share of goalsscoring.

Nah, he didn't.

Waxy
24-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Nah, he didn't.
My memory musn't be great then. Anyone got the stats for goals scored by this time last season and how it compares to this season?

worcesterhibby
24-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Trust me I do want to come second, but really only because it will mean we have won more games. I really do think there is something to be said for the momentum that you get from winning the first round of play offs instead of having 10days with no game and twiddling your thumbs. At the end of the day if we get promoted through the play offs, no one will care a jot if we came second, third or fourth in the league...promotion is the goal, not second place.

paddy1875
24-03-2016, 07:57 AM

I'm not 100% here but has Henderson not scored more than him? I one thing this team lacks is the killer pass Scott Allan can play. And if if it didn't work the first time he'd still go for it the next time.

easty
24-03-2016, 07:58 AM
My memory musn't be great then. Anyone got the stats for goals scored by this time last season and how it compares to this season?

He scored 2 last season. Away to Dumbarton and to Alloa.

SJM
24-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Houston is correct they could go 9 ahead on Sat and even with 3 games in hand the pressure is all on us to catch up. That's not to say we can't do it but I would much rather be in their position than ours.

Heisenberg
24-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Disagree, we always seem to start tailing off towards the end of the season so having 2 less games is a massive benefit. This season the team looks even worse off for all the games so another 2 games packed in isnt ideal. When we are playing so poor having 2 less games to achieve your goal is a huge bonus!

I do agree that the further two games isn't ideal but if it happens so be it. People shouldn't get too caught up in finishing second as it could have a really poor affect on the squad if they don't do it and everyone is raging/worried about the two games against Raith. We finished second last season and i feel that a lot of people, maybe even the players, felt like it was job done and that we'd achieved something for the season.

The race for second was built up hugely last year because the league was already won. The same is happening again this year. What matters is winning the playoffs, which we are good enough to do. Whether that is finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

If we come back from this break and beat St Mirren then its game on...i dont think we'll look back.

Waxy
24-03-2016, 08:06 AM
He scored 2 last season. Away to Dumbarton and to Alloa.

Thats pretty rotten. Thought he scored much more than that from memory. Oh well, i'm a donut.

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Rangers showed last year finishing third means very little in the play offs. Let Houston shout his mouth off. This break will do us the world off good before we get back down business

They also showed how much the extra matches took out of them by capitulating to a rank Motherwell side.....

easty
24-03-2016, 08:27 AM
They also showed how much the extra matches took out of them by capitulating to a rank Motherwell side.....

:agree:

paddy1875
24-03-2016, 08:32 AM
I don't think it was fatigue why they lost to Motherwell, they were just terrible. A poor performance from us at ibrox in the first leg lost it for us.

SJM
24-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I don't think it was fatigue why they lost to Motherwell, they were just terrible. A poor performance from us at ibrox in the first leg lost it for us.

They thought they had the job done after beating us and got complacent.

We blew it big time at Ibrox last year and it could cost us 3 seasons down here.

Ronniekirk
24-03-2016, 08:38 AM
They will be smug given our recent run and if they go nine points ahead they know we ate under pressure to not loose a game starting away to St Mirren
Big test for us that game but Stubbs saying Hanlon Fyfie and Henderson back in for that game and possibly Dylan Handling is also an option
We will be rested and work will have been done on the Training ground
But we need a performance l playing confidently ,cut out defensive errors and take more of our chances
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy
24-03-2016, 08:41 AM
We also have to play them and Rangers within a week. Every game needs to be treated like a cup final now.

Can we not treat then like semi-finals?

...we're better at them than finals :greengrin

paddy1875
24-03-2016, 09:09 AM
They thought they had the job done after beating us and got complacent. We blew it big time at Ibrox last year and it could cost us 3 seasons down here.

Agreed, Stubbs could've tried tightening up a bit and got us back to Easter road with just the one goal to claw back. We'd had the better of them a few times last season so maybe that's why he never changed it. But Stuart McCall had them a lot more organised by the time it came to the play offs. Stubbs was and still is new to the manager role, I just hope when the playoffs come round this year he's learned.

chrisski33
24-03-2016, 09:22 AM
We have them just where we want them.

Really? How does that benefit us we now have pressure to win our our games in hand and i dunno if we will do it. Id rather be in their position than ours

SJM
24-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Agreed, Stubbs could've tried tightening up a bit and got us back to Easter road with just the one goal to claw back. We'd had the better of them a few times last season so maybe that's why he never changed it. But Stuart McCall had them a lot more organised by the time it came to the play offs. Stubbs was and still is new to the manager role, I just hope when the playoffs come round this year he's learned.

We can all but hope mate. And pray :)

SJM
24-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Really? How does that benefit us we now have pressure to win our our games in hand and i dunno if we will do it. Id rather be in their position than ours

Must be a sarcastic post.

TAHibby
24-03-2016, 09:25 AM
They are, I'd rather have the points on the board. We were in that position last year with sevco, they didn't win all the games in hand I think?

ben johnson
24-03-2016, 09:40 AM
May come down to the situation that a draw for Falkirk at ER will suffice for them. We may have to force the game against the massed ranks. Houston in his element if that's the case.

paddy1875
24-03-2016, 09:43 AM
We can all but hope mate. And pray :) And pray some more.

It often has me looking at the sky after 90 mins and saying WTF is your problem!

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 09:49 AM

How on earth is that a sarcastic post? Surely even the most optimistc, of optimists would rather not be in the position of having to claw back points through games in hand, just to come within a chance of 2nd spot to bloody Falkirk.

SJM
24-03-2016, 09:53 AM
How on earth is that a sarcastic post? Surely even the most optimistc, of optimists would rather not be in the position of having to claw back points through games in hand, just to come within a chance of 2nd spot to bloody Falkirk.

Chill the beans buddy, I was meaning the post Chriski was replying to. If you read my posts on the matter I fully agree with you's.

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Chill the beans buddy, I was meaning the post Chriski was replying to. If you read my posts on the matter I fully agree with you's.

:greengrin
gotcha :wink:

Libby Hibby
24-03-2016, 10:56 AM

What Hibs, Raith or Falkirk do between now and the playoffs decides whether they play a quarter final tie or not. Preferable to get a bye to the semi but not the end of the world if you don't

Ultimately for all teams involved it's what you do IN the playoffs not how you get there.

Absolutely correct

Ronniekirk
24-03-2016, 11:30 AM

This was a factor ,and those that think it doesn't matter if we have to play six play off games at the end of a hectic season with all the extra cup ties we have played ,and not knowing potential injuries or suspensions we may have , are not facing up to the enormity of the task ahead of us
We have seen the impact of three games a week and chopping and changing team due to injuries and suspension and that has coincided with a loss of form or could be as result of this
Am sure Stubbs wont want another six games at the end of season either
If thats what happens we just need to get on with it ,but i don't see any advantage in having to do that

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 11:34 AM
This was a factor ,and those that think it doesn't matter if we have to play six play off games at the end of a hectic season with all the extra cup ties we have played ,and not knowing potential injuries or suspensions we may have , are not facing up to the enormity of the task ahead of us
We have seen the impact of three games a week and chopping and changing team due to injuries and suspension and that has coincided with a loss of form or could be as result of this
Am sure Stubbs wont want another six games at the end of season either
If thats what happens we just need to get on with it ,but i don't see any advantage in having to do that

its not just game time, a lot of nervous energy is burnt up in these types of games and it could really take its toll.

Ronniekirk
24-03-2016, 11:37 AM
its not just game time, a lot of nervous energy is burnt up in these types of games and it could really take its toll.

Well i know how much nervous energy it takes out of me and i am just sitting watching green grin

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Well i know how much nervous energy it takes out of me and i am just sitting watching green grin

:greengrin:greengrin

yeah, feelings mutual :greengrin

SetonClapper
24-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Whether we come second or third in the league, I am really looking forward to putting them to the sword in the playoffs. For me he's second only to Levein (maybe third if I include Billy Brown) in the irritation scale. With all due respect, I even prefer Warburton to him.

Hibernia&Alba
24-03-2016, 12:27 PM
It's going to be difficult to finish second, meaning six play off games plus at least one more cup match. Getting second would be very helpful.

ehf
24-03-2016, 12:34 PM
May come down to the situation that a draw for Falkirk at ER will suffice for them. We may have to force the game against the massed ranks. Houston in his element if that's the case.

That's exactly what I think will happen. Can't see Falkirk slipping up at home to Livi (they will do a professional job) but can all too readily see us losing at St Mirren , so there's every chance we will be at least 12 points behind Falkirk (and with a much worse GD) when we play them at ER, with only 4 games remaining after that.

SeanWilson
24-03-2016, 12:37 PM
That's exactly what I think will happen. Can't see Falkirk slipping up at home to Livi (they will do a professional job) but can all too readily see us losing at St Mirren , so there's every chance we will be at least 12 points behind Falkirk (and with a much worse GD) when we play them at ER, with only 4 games remaining after that.

See, that's where opinions are funny... I can quite easily see Falkirk ending up with a draw at Livi as they're not as bad as people make out... i can also see us beating St Mirren quite easily as there is no evidence to suggest we wont based on the last couple of games.

monktonharp
24-03-2016, 01:37 PM
We also have to play them and Rangers within a week. Every game needs to be treated like a cup final now.are you meaning a Hibernian in the cup final, Final ? or are you saying any normal team in a cup final, final?:wink:

worcesterhibby
24-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Not sure I can cope with that many pre-match trips to Cambuslang bowls club. (Hibernian Retro coach users ken what I mean)

mjhibby
24-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Indeed. I'd rather use the last few games to rest players if it looks like we won't be second. It's what we do in the play offs that matters. The Scottish cup just makes things a lot harder. Why does it seem to end up like this. The joys of being a hibs fan.

Jones28
24-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Hamilton and Rangers were both either finalists or promoted the last couple of season, both teams after playing a quarter and then a semi final.

Momentum could play a part here and by winning both round might play a part. It worked for Hamilton but didn't for Rangers so let's see.

mjhibby
24-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Whether we come second or third in the league, I am really looking forward to putting them to the sword in the playoffs. For me he's second only to Levein (maybe third if I include Billy Brown) in the irritation scale. With all due respect, I even prefer Warburton to him.

Houston is certainly on a par with Avril levein in being totally obnoxious and an ignorant git. Will enjoy muchly gubbing them in the play offs.

B.H.F.C
24-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Hamilton and Rangers were both either finalists or promoted the last couple of season, both teams after playing a quarter and then a semi final.

Momentum could play a part here and by winning both round might play a part. It worked for Hamilton but didn't for Rangers so let's see.

Sure Hamilton finished second.

Both those teams probably didn't have to play 9 games in the previous month either

Onion
24-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Huns will have the league wrapped up by then so no reason why Hibs should not want it more than them. Set against that, might be players not wanting to get injured before the SC Final (Huns and Hibs perhaps), so lots of things might influence that match.

The more Houston and media talk Falkirk up the better, IMO. Falkirk have enjoyed and flourished in the role as poor wee bairns, underdogs, for years so let's see how they cope with carrying the favourites tag. Stubbs and Hibs will relish the challenge of catching them.

Jones28
24-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Sure Hamilton finished second.

Both those teams probably didn't have to play 9 games in the previous month either

Maybe not but after a 2 week break I would expect our team to have fully recovered and be ready to play these games.

As an aside I hope Stubbs uses the whole squad in the run in.

Dashing Bob S
24-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Can hardly blame Houston (can't believe i'm typing this) for having a wee gloat at our expense. We wrote them off around Christmas when we were gaining on the Huns.

however, we've now imploded and can't buy a win in that crap league. We'd better soon, or a punishing battle with Raith awaits before we get a crack at Der Hoost.

JK Rolling
24-03-2016, 06:25 PM

http://www.hibs.net/webkit-fake-url://5C132632-50C0-4B0B-BE3E-CE5A139891CC/facepalm-ernie.jpg

Sir David Gray
24-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Hamilton finished second in the season they were promoted.

SetonClapper
24-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Can hardly blame Houston (can't believe i'm typing this) for having a wee gloat at our expense. We wrote them off around Christmas when we were gaining on the Huns.

however, we've now imploded and can't buy a win in that crap league. We'd better soon, or a punishing battle with Raith awaits before we get a crack at Der Hoost.

Stubbs was right though. He only wrote them off winning the championship. They're 11 points behind having played one game more. At that time there were only two teams in it. Now, sadly, after four consecutive defeats, there is only one, and it's not Falkirk.

SJM
25-03-2016, 09:05 AM

Stubbs wrote them off the night we got pumped off Morton. We were 5 points ahead at the time. They could go 9 tomorrow. How things change in a month.

Ronniekirk
25-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Stubbs wrote them off the night we got pumped off Morton. We were 5 points ahead at the time. They could go 9 tomorrow. How things change in a month.

Its certainly a sobering swing in their favour if they do go nine points clear but we know what we need to do ,and i expect us to be focused and motivated when we return to acton

The_Horde
25-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't care about ze falkirk

Edson Arantes
25-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Sorry, but can't see any sarcasm at all in his post.

How do you work that one out?

TheFall
25-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Hopefully we are still in it when we reach the Falkirk game and kick their ass back towards 3rd.

southern hibby
25-03-2016, 03:20 PM
If we're third then so be it. If there are too many games near the end and a congestion then I'd bring some young players in from the development squad just to try out.

Probably not the best idea but at least well rest players and give the young boys a chance to step up. Maybe drop Oxley give young guy a chance before semi to get a bit of confidence.

Or we can play every game as its a cup final and go for it????? AS has some serious choices to make in the coming weeks.

GGTTH

Turkish Green
26-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Falkirk have the opportunity to go 9 pts ahead and although Hibs will have 3 games in hand I would prefer to have the points in the bag at this phase of the season. At such a busy period, having more outstanding fixtures to be played over a shorter period will only tire out the squad. I would have preferred if Strachan and Spragia had omitted Hibs players from their squads and Hibs played a league game today.

Friendlies! Good God y'all,
What are they good for?
Absolutely nothing. Say it again.

Jones28
26-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Hamilton finished second in the season they were promoted.

They were, my mistake.

The Green Goblin
26-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I would change the thread title to "Falkirk currently in the driving seat". Still a few twists and turns to happen yet. We can still do it.

SJM
26-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Sorry, but can't see any sarcasm at all in his post.

How do you work that one out?

See my other reply. It was to the post Chrislki replied to.

SeanWilson
26-03-2016, 03:34 PM
See, that's where opinions are funny... I can quite easily see Falkirk ending up with a draw at Livi as they're not as bad as people make out... i can also see us beating St Mirren quite easily as there is no evidence to suggest we wont based on the last couple of games.

Thecat23
26-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Falkirk will finish at least 8 points behind Hibs.

3pm
26-03-2016, 04:03 PM

It'll be closer than that mate.

Thecat23
26-03-2016, 04:03 PM
It'll be closer than that mate.

Prob will but I'm confident we will pull away 😁

Golden Bear
26-03-2016, 04:14 PM

I'll have a pint of that please!

:wink:

Jim44
26-03-2016, 04:15 PM
If they're in driving seat, they forgot to fasten the safety belt today. :greengrin

offshorehibby
26-03-2016, 04:18 PM
If they're in driving seat, they forgot to fasten the safety belt today. :greengrin

Obviously forgot to put petrol in the car

Bostonhibby
26-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Falkirk are now in the driving seat of Peter Houstons 1981 Morris Marina and Billy Broon is the back street driver.

Over to you Hibs - don't let us down.

Thecat23
26-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I'll have a pint of that please!

:wink:

Funny you should mention that, I've never had Guinness but I'm about to try one!!

The_Horde
26-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Falkirk are now in the driving seat of Peter Houstons 1981 Morris Marina and Billy Broon is the back street driver.

Falkirk In the driving seat of a dual controlled car.

Nicho87
26-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Slightly off topic but just been looking at the play off final dates and sc final date. What happens if we make both. 2nd leg scheduled for 22nd may, day after cup final. Same happened last year with sfa panecking that hibs could make finals. Fixture chaos hopefully

Alfred E Newman
26-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Slightly off topic but just been looking at the play off final dates and sc final date. What happens if we make both. 2nd leg scheduled for 22nd may, day after cup final. Same happened last year with sfa panecking that hibs could make finals. Fixture chaos hopefully

Given the cost of such a scenario, I think cup top ups should be valid for these games. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
26-03-2016, 06:27 PM

Hi Heid Yin
26-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Thank you Livingston, but there is still a lot for our boys to do to catch up with and overtake Falkirk. It's intriguing - It's do-able - and it's damn exciting!
Fingers crossed!

Nutmegged
27-03-2016, 08:52 AM

If Hibs make both Finals then the Play-Off Final will be moved to Tuesday the 17th of May and Wednesday the 25th.

Nicho87
27-03-2016, 09:46 AM
If Hibs make both Finals then the Play-Off Final will be moved to Tuesday the 17th of May and Wednesday the 25th.

This confirmed mate.

Bostonhibby
27-03-2016, 09:55 AM
😁

monktonharp
14-04-2016, 12:12 AM
or so it seems according to Houston's recent comments. to a degree, I do go with what he's said because Stubbs was a wee bit premature with comments about only 2 teams going to be in the race. they have 6 points in the bag, which we need to get added to the real possibility that they can be 9 ahead, if they beat Livi this weekend.I know where i'd rather be. I suppose we can still beat Falkirk at ER, but do we still have them away?. worrying times.:hmmm: well, as Greenlake says, we have them where we want them:hide: still all to play for I suppose, but it looks like that big nasty rooster has come home to roost. Houston is roostin' like a smug gorgie jobby.

Radium
14-04-2016, 09:25 AM
:hmmm: well, as Greenlake says, we have them where we want them:hide: still all to play for I suppose, but it looks like that big nasty rooster has come home to roost. Houston is roostin' like a smug gorgie jobby.

We will have played twice [TRFC at home, Morton away] before Falkirk travel to Raith for the Saturday ALBA match ... I am clutching at straws, but being level on points when they kick off would put the pressure back on them.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-04-2016, 06:46 PM
We will have played twice [TRFC at home, Morton away] before Falkirk travel to Raith for the Saturday ALBA match ... I am clutching at straws, but being level on points when they kick off would put the pressure back on them.

I suspect it will all be over by the time they next kick off.

Lee Marvin
14-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I suspect it will all be over by the time they next kick off.

Might not be a bad thing. Give us time to rest players for the playoffs

cleanyman
14-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Falkirk have been the second best team in the league so fair play to them.

We have a tough battle ahead in the play offs.