PDA

View Full Version : oxley banned : squad cannot afford the luxury of such actions

familyman
23-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Hmm, once again we see how a silly booking in an earlier round for time wasting comes back to haunt you...In that previous game he had been given plenty latitude by ref before being booked for needless time wasting, yet here we go again..booked for time wasting (albeit under dispute.).just maybe the goalkeeping coach needs a word now and then...
once bitten and all that.
While he is perhaps not the best keeper we have had in recent years he is it would seem the best we have just now as he has played every game...and so he will be missed ,but that position is an odd one,sometimes a door opens for a new talent...so fingers crossed.It does though emphasise the need for sound cover in that position ...however frustrating it is for the second choice player sitting on the bench...AN OPPORTUNITY.
Come On Hibs

FromTheCapital
23-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Deserved his yellow against Hearts but the booking against Inverness was ludicrous.
Yes, he's suspect at crosses but he's the best we have (at the moment) and we would've been better off with him for the Semi Final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenArmy1875
23-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Football is won and lost in small margins. Wasting time may win you a game but getting caught and suspended may lose you another. Risk you take I suppose

green.oracle
23-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Deserved his yellow against Hearts but the booking against Inverness was ludicrous.
Yes, he's suspect at crosses but he's the best we have (at the moment) and we would've been better off with him for the Semi Final.

Deserved? I would argue that point. The time wasting that opposition goalies have got away with this season (saturday being the latest) borders on ludicrous. I've been at every game bar ipox this season and the only goalie booked has been ours.

HibsNutter
23-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Tbh the Inverness booking probably was deserved looking back on it, he had the chance to go off, chose not to, then kept the play from rolling on, before being booked and eventually deciding to go off. If we were getting beat and the opposition goalie took the p*ss like that we'd be wanting him booked, no?

FromTheCapital
23-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Deserved? I would argue that point. The time wasting that opposition goalies have got away with this season (saturday being the latest) borders on ludicrous. I've been at every game bar ipox this season and the only goalie booked has been ours.

Purely because Ox now has a reputation amongst the referees.
There are plenty of other goalkeepers who hold onto the ball for a similar amount of time and get away with it but should be booked.
I personally look at it in the way that all goalkeepers should be treated the same as Oxley and not that Ox should get away with it but there is no consistency among referees at all these days and that is what makes his suspension all the more frustrating imo.

SJM
23-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Why did he not just smash the ball out of play like any normal player would rather than risk a booking. Idiotic from the player and he should be fined for it.

Sir David Gray
23-03-2016, 07:09 PM

:agree: The Dumbarton goalkeeper launched the ball out of the ground when we got it back to 3-2 the other week and wasn't even spoken to.

All you want to see is some consistency.

Smartie
23-03-2016, 07:24 PM
If I were Stubbs I'd be having a word with the players about silly bookings.

Cummings and Oxley have picked up a few and they might cost us.

If you've picked up a few silly ones it leaves you vulnerable to bad decisions or not being able to take "good foul yellow cards" for the sake of the team.

Kojock
23-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Malonga being booked for celebrating his goal for taking off his shirt.

LaMotta
23-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Hmm, once again we see how a silly booking in an earlier round for time wasting comes back to haunt you...In that previous game he had been given plenty latitude by ref before being booked for needless time wasting, yet here we go again..booked for time wasting (albeit under dispute.).just maybe the goalkeeping coach needs a word now and then...
once bitten and all that.
While he is perhaps not the best keeper we have had in recent years he is it would seem the best we have just now as he has played every game...and so he will be missed ,but that position is an odd one,sometimes a door opens for a new talent...so fingers crossed.It does though emphasise the need for sound cover in that position ...however frustrating it is for the second choice player sitting on the bench...AN OPPORTUNITY.
Come On Hibs

That silly booking vs Hearts may have helped us win the game.

Shrekko
23-03-2016, 09:21 PM
That silly booking vs Hearts may have helped us win the game.

Please please don't ever condone time wasting- it's the biggest turn off in football. I hate it when teams do it to us and cringe when we do it.

It also works both ways - we lost a late goal to 10 man Hearts last season and had no time to recover. I've never understood why wasting time is so common- sends out a very negative message. Is it really a way to win football matches? What about just keeping possession or God forbid trying to score more goals?

Smartie
23-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Please please don't ever condone time wasting- it's the biggest turn off in football. I hate it when teams do it to us and cringe when we do it.

It also works both ways - we lost a late goal to 10 man Hearts last season and had no time to recover. I've never understood why wasting time is so common- sends out a very negative message. Is it really a way to win football matches? What about just keeping possession or God forbid trying to score more goals?

I think it has a place.

Pushing your luck to it's limits whilst defending a fragile lead at Ibrox or Parkhead is to be expected - I'd be raging if we didn't attempt to run down the clock a bit towards the ends of games like that.

Wasting time when 1 up against Hearts at Easter Road with half an hour to go isn't really my thing. Taking a bit more time than if you were 1 down maybe but not actually running down the clock and taking the piss like Oxley did/does. Then continuing the same way after he's been booked? I wasn't impressed.

TBH I see it as a legitimate part of the games and don't see why get so wound up when teams do it to us. Getting points off us should have been considered to be an achievement these past few seasons and teams should be doing what they can to make that happen. It's up to the ref to clamp down if it is getting beyond a joke.

The worst time wasting I ever saw was by Dundee United in the "Matty Jack" game. Unwatchable rubbish and they got what they deserved. Yet every time I'm back in Dundee they still seem to be whining about how hard done by they were.

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Malonga being booked for celebrating his goal for taking off his shirt. Stubbs is consistant with some things. Malonga was HOOKED for goin all huffy , not getting to take a penalty against st.Mirren. Cummings was HOOKED for doin another silly thing, missing a goal from 3 inches.

SunshineOnLeith
23-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Why did he not just smash the ball out of play like any normal player would rather than risk a booking. Idiotic from the player and he should be fined for it.

Because the ball wasn't in play.

cabbageandribs1875
23-03-2016, 11:10 PM
with just 4 games until the SF when is stubbs going to give Virtanen at least some game time with oxley out, surely he's not just going to fling the guy in on the 16th :confused:

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 11:22 PM
with just 4 games until the SF when is stubbs going to give Virtanen at least some game time with oxley out, surely he's not just going to fling the guy in on the 16th :confused:

He's away with the Finland under 21 squad this week, hope he gets some game time

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2016, 11:23 PM
with just 4 games until the SF when is stubbs going to give Virtanen at least some game time with oxley out, surely he's not just going to fling the guy in on the 16th :confused:Why not? The league is more important than the cup semi, he has to play first choice in every league game.

Virtanen has more appearances than Oxley had when he made his Hibs debut, why is everyone panicking about him playing? He will be just fine.

Nicho87
23-03-2016, 11:32 PM
What do we do have if virtanen gets injured, just asking like?

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2016, 11:34 PM
What do we do have if virtanen gets injured, just asking like?Same thing every other club in the world has if 2 keepers get injured/suspended, a youngster.

Libby Hibby
24-03-2016, 06:21 AM
What do we do have if virtanen gets injured, just asking like?

Emergency loan

SJM
24-03-2016, 06:32 AM

He had the ball to take a goal kick why no kick the ball out for a throw miles up the pitch then indicate for the physio? The ref would have stopped the game then.

Surely there is a couple of unattached goalies out there to bring in out with the window? Has to be worth a pop. Where's the mad monk when you need him?

Northernhibee
24-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Another Oxley thread. Just what this place needed.

Scorrie
24-03-2016, 07:09 AM
To look at the positive, this gives an opportunity to see what our other goalies in the squad can do

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Another Oxley thread. Just what this place needed.

Yep was getting a bit boring without one I suppose.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2016, 07:56 AM
What happened to the appeal? :confused:

ben johnson
24-03-2016, 08:04 AM
I think it has a place.

Pushing your luck to it's limits whilst defending a fragile lead at Ibrox or Parkhead is to be expected - I'd be raging if we didn't attempt to run down the clock a bit towards the ends of games like that.

Wasting time when 1 up against Hearts at Easter Road with half an hour to go isn't really my thing. Taking a bit more time than if you were 1 down maybe but not actually running down the clock and taking the piss like Oxley did/does. Then continuing the same way after he's been booked? I wasn't impressed.

TBH I see it as a legitimate part of the games and don't see why get so wound up when teams do it to us. Getting points off us should have been considered to be an achievement these past few seasons and teams should be doing what they can to make that happen. It's up to the ref to clamp down if it is getting beyond a joke.

The worst time wasting I ever saw was by Dundee United in the "Matty Jack" game. Unwatchable rubbish and they got what they deserved. Yet every time I'm back in Dundee they still seem to be whining about how hard done by they were.

Tell them I had ten pounds on at 50 to 1 for the first goal to be scored after 80 minutes. That will cheer your Dundee associates up no end.

SJM
24-03-2016, 08:43 AM
What happened to the appeal? :confused:

The club decided there was no grounds for it.

SunshineOnLeith
24-03-2016, 09:54 AM
He had the ball to take a goal kick why no kick the ball out for a throw miles up the pitch then indicate for the physio? The ref would have stopped the game then.

Surely there is a couple of unattached goalies out there to bring in out with the window? Has to be worth a pop. Where's the mad monk when you need him?

Geo_1875
24-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Purely because Ox now has a reputation amongst the referees.
There are plenty of other goalkeepers who hold onto the ball for a similar amount of time and get away with it but should be booked.
I personally look at it in the way that all goalkeepers should be treated the same as Oxley and not that Ox should get away with it but there is no consistency among referees at all these days and that is what makes his suspension all the more frustrating imo.

Why would he have a reputation among referees? Only 2 have seen fit to book him, both in SC matches.

Do you get a reputation for wasting time or for being booked? None of our opponents goalkeepers have been booked for time-wasting yet they do it from kick off, particularly at Easter Road.

Personally, I don't think Oxley is particularly guilty of time-wasting. All he does is prepare to take a goal kick properly. He'd be getting pelters from the usual suspects if he rushed every kick and gave away possession.

SJM
24-03-2016, 10:03 AM

Take the goal kick to stop any doubt of time wasting out of the refs mind and the physio comes on. Instead he Fannied about and got booked.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Take the goal kick to stop any doubt of time wasting out of the refs mind and the physio comes on. Instead he Fannied about and got booked.

Maybe he was frightened of missing the ball?

Northernhibee
24-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Shame Oxleymorons can't be fined for their constant depressing moaning.

SJM
24-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Shame Oxleymorons can't be fined for their constant depressing moaning.

Pardon me about being concerned about not having a goalkeeper for the Scottish Cup Semi final. Let's all ignore it and pretend it's all good then and he's brilliant.

SJM
24-03-2016, 10:30 AM

I actually thought sitting there that he bottled it and went off because of that. He sold the jerseys big time, not only in Inverness but also for Hampden coming up.

LaMotta
24-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Its not about condoning time wasting, it’s about recognising that EVERY team in the world has at some point used these tactics when they are narrowly ahead in a game. That includes Barcelona by the way.

Slowing the game down sometimes is part of the game, and lots have talked about game management recently or our lack of it. Of course it’s frustrating when your team are behind, but I’ve no idea why it would make you cringe when your own team does it. It’s probably just another reason for an Oxley bash.

hibbysam
24-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I actually thought sitting there that he bottled it and went off because of that. He sold the jerseys big time, not only in Inverness but also for Hampden coming up.

Sold the jerseys in Inverness?? Eh??

SJM
24-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Sold the jerseys in Inverness?? Eh??

Getting himself booked then having to go off after he said he was able to continue leaving a rookie goalie to come on when we were under the cosh.

Northernhibee
24-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Pardon me about being concerned about not having a goalkeeper for the Scottish Cup Semi final. Let's all ignore it and pretend it's all good then and he's brilliant.

It amazes me how much of your statement there is incorrect.

SJM
24-03-2016, 01:10 PM
It amazes me how much of your statement there is incorrect.

That would be your opinion. I'm not going to insult you and call you a moron though.

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 01:13 PM
The club decided there was no grounds for it.

More likely they were informed by the Authorities that the appeal wasnt allowed because of it being a yellow card.

JimBHibees
24-03-2016, 01:15 PM

Nonsense he had lost his contact lens and the ref was a clown for booking him.

SJM
24-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Nonsense he had lost his contact lens and the ref was a clown for booking him.

He had the chance to clear up the contact lens issue prior to that and decided he could play on. He then came for the next cross, blundered and thankfully it went over. As he stopped play the first time the ref told him to get a move on with the goal kick. He didn't and got booked. He should have called for the physio right away and either kicked the ball high into touch or sat down and waited for assistance. He just looked as if he was fannying about and got carded for it.

silverhibee
24-03-2016, 02:10 PM

:tee hee:

Is his eyesight that bad, should maybe have got his dog to kick it for him. :greengrin

Shrekko
24-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Its not about condoning time wasting, it’s about recognising that EVERY team in the world has at some point used these tactics when they are narrowly ahead in a game. That includes Barcelona by the way.

Slowing the game down sometimes is part of the game, and lots have talked about game management recently or our lack of it. Of course it’s frustrating when your team are behind, but I’ve no idea why it would make you cringe when your own team does it. It’s probably just another reason for an Oxley bash.

I really don’t know where people like you get off telling folk they have ulterior motives for what they say. I was talking in general terms.

Hands up though- I think Oxley’s hopeless and have given actual reasons as to why I think that’s the case. Thankfully I’ve not resorted to name calling though and referred to people who disagree with me with blanket terms like ‘morons’. Completely out of order.

I’ve actually already intimated why I hate time wasting by Hibs but I’ll reiterate seeing as you weren’t listening. I think when we’re playing a team we’re already beating we have just as good a chance by continuing to dominate play and back ourselves to hold possession.

Watching any player fiddle about with the ball, check their boots, deliberately kick it away or take ages to fetch it etc etc makes me cringe because they’re footballers who have supposedly trained all their life to play football and not indulge in these silly acts that everyone can see through.

In some games, it simply motivates the fans and players of the opposition when they get irritated by it all and like it I say- it can backfire as well. Still having nightmares about that Ozturk goal.

hibbysam
24-03-2016, 02:23 PM
I really don’t know where people like you get off telling folk they have ulterior motives for what they say. I was talking in general terms.

Hands up though- I think Oxley’s hopeless and have given actual reasons as to why I think that’s the case. Thankfully I’ve not resorted to name calling though and referred to people who disagree with me with blanket terms like ‘morons’. Completely out of order.

I’ve actually already intimated why I hate time wasting by Hibs but I’ll reiterate seeing as you weren’t listening. I think when we’re playing a team we’re already beating we have just as good a chance by continuing to dominate play and back ourselves to hold possession.

Watching any player fiddle about with the ball, check their boots, deliberately kick it away or take ages to fetch it etc etc makes me cringe because they’re footballers who have supposedly trained all their life to play football and not indulge in these silly acts that everyone can see through.

In some games, it simply motivates the fans and players of the opposition when they get irritated by it all and like it I say- it can backfire as well. Still having nightmares about that Ozturk goal.

One quick question, in what way did timewasting have any bearing on Ozturk's strike??

hibbysam
24-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Getting himself booked then having to go off after he said he was able to continue leaving a rookie goalie to come on when we were under the cosh.

Would you rather he stayed on, not being able to see properly, and lost a daft goal? Virtanen is as much a rookie as Oxley is.

LaMotta
24-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Where have I called anyone a moron?? :confused:

I was listening – you are being naive though. If every footballing team in the world has used time wasting tactics, let me ask you, why should Hibs be any different?

Footballers are trained to win games, and frustrating the opposition will be very much part of that training. You don’t seriously think otherwise do you?

You can’t say that time wasting had anything to do with that Ozturk goal. I could say for example that had we not slowed the game down and tried to frustrate Hearts then they might have equalized earlier and gone on to win the game.

You can hate it all you want, but the only way it will stop is if the clock is stopped every time the ball isn’t in play.

Shrekko
24-03-2016, 02:52 PM
One quick question, in what way did timewasting have any bearing on Ozturk's strike??

We were up against a 10 man team who'd more or less accepted their fate. Oxley's time wasting started to rile the Hearts fans and players who'd been quiet. When Hearts scored we (ironically) had no time to get back at them.

We were well on top in that match and should have kept control of it by continuing to monopolise the ball instead of sending out negative messages that we're happy to cling on to what we have by trying to waste time.

Take your time? Yes. Blatantly waste time? No.

The crux of the matter is that you could be wasting your own time if the other team does happen to score! How often do you see a keeper (ANY keeper before anyone starts), strolling around wasting time and then lose a goal and all of a sudden they're sprinting for balls and shouting at ball boys etc.? It's embarrassing and I dont like it. My own personal opinion.

silverhibee
24-03-2016, 03:15 PM
We were up against a 10 man team who'd more or less accepted their fate. Oxley's time wasting started to rile the Hearts fans and players who'd been quiet. When Hearts scored we (ironically) had no time to get back at them.

We were well on top in that match and should have kept control of it by continuing to monopolise the ball instead of sending out negative messages that we're happy to cling on to what we have by trying to waste time.

Take your time? Yes. Blatantly waste time? No.

The crux of the matter is that you could be wasting your own time if the other team does happen to score! How often do you see a keeper (ANY keeper before anyone starts), strolling around wasting time and then lose a goal and all of a sudden they're sprinting for balls and shouting at ball boys etc.? It's embarrassing and I dont like it. My own personal opinion.

Was Hart wasting time in this game when this incident happened. :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bju5z56tBDs

Northernhibee
25-03-2016, 10:47 AM
It was never a booking. Instead of circling the wagons and tearing into the referee for as bad a decision as you'll ever see the usual suspects are rubbing their hands with glee that they can give one of our players another undeserved kicking. Our support would be better off without them.