PDA

View Full Version : Development match v St Mirren

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 11:41 AM
2pm ko at Ainslie Park today. Expect to see Danny Handling play.
Anyone else going along?

Golden Bear
23-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Any news? - how did the game go?

Golden Bear
23-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Any news? - how did the game go?

I'll reply to myself!

Hibs won 1-0, Dunsmore with the first half goal. Danny Handling played for 45 mins then was subbed at half time.

Bishop Hibee
23-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Am I right in thinking it is a young under 20's this season? I know Watson is only 18 and he seems to have started a lot of games.

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Am I right in thinking it is a young under 20's this season? I know Watson is only 18 and he seems to have started a lot of games.

Quite a few are in their 1st full season at this level

SJM
23-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Does that mean there was a lot of players emptied last season and is there any indication as to why none or very few are taking the step up the pathway to the first team?

Golden Bear
23-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Age shouldn't be a barrier to progress. Many of the top teams have teenagers in their first team squad but with the odd exception, in recent years we've failed miserably to produce home grown talent. It's one of the most disappointing aspects of the scouting/coaching structures at ER just now.

KWJ
23-03-2016, 05:42 PM
I do agree that we've been poor with regard to getting youngsters involved in the first team.

I wonder how much is down to their quality over Stubbs' reluctance to involve them. Now isn't the time to be putting guys in for debuts but it could have been done earlier in the season.

Having guys out on loan gives them a different kind of experience I suppose.

SJM
23-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Hopefully the current setup have identified past issues which probably goes back to both the Parks leaving especially Donald despite the major praise John got.

Ronniekirk
23-03-2016, 07:06 PM
It was one pf the cornerstones pf the new structure to help bridge the disconnect between development team and first team So would imagine the progress of this is kept under review by the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
23-03-2016, 07:12 PM
We are now only signing players born on a leap year. :wink:

Jonnyboy
23-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Billy, how did the lad Mackie get on?

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Billy, how did the lad Mackie get on?

Played well, but played wide left, with Crane at full back. Looks a good player
Danny played for 45 mins, great touch and awareness as you would expect

Jonnyboy
23-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Played well, but played wide left, with Crane at full back. Looks a good player
Danny played for 45 mins, great touch and awareness as you would expect

:aok:

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Age shouldn't be a barrier to progress. Many of the top teams have teenagers in their first team squad but with the odd exception, in recent years we've failed miserably to produce home grown talent. It's one of the most disappointing aspects of the scouting/coaching structures at ER just now.:agree:I am only agreeing because we never seem to have as many getting in for a chance of late. when Broony got a bout 25 mins of a game at ER, he was 17yrs old. I immedietly thought this laddie is a player. he was just behind Whittaker if I remember, and as everyone can recall, the young team that wn the cup that year were good. was Donald Park the man that brought them through/ I always think of comments like Williamson built the team, which I find ridiculous. He was mair o' a cinema man.

J-C
24-03-2016, 06:16 AM
:agree:I am only agreeing because we never seem to have as many getting in for a chance of late. when Broony got a bout 25 mins of a game at ER, he was 17yrs old. I immedietly thought this laddie is a player. he was just behind Whittaker if I remember, and as everyone can recall, the young team that wn the cup that year were good. was Donald Park the man that brought them through/ I always think of comments like Williamson built the team, which I find ridiculous. He was mair o' a cinema man.

It was indeed Donald and John Park who did all that, John was more of a scout with Donald the coach, great partnership, never been the same since they left.

Hibby Bairn
24-03-2016, 06:38 AM
But surely Williamson should get the credit for playing them?

MB62
24-03-2016, 07:25 AM
I do agree that we've been poor with regard to getting youngsters involved in the first team.

I wonder how much is down to their quality over Stubbs' reluctance to involve them. Now isn't the time to be putting guys in for debuts but it could have been done earlier in the season.

Having guys out on loan gives them a different kind of experience I suppose.

I think this is one of the failings of such a small league. I don't agree that earlier in the season was the right time because at that point, the manager is trying to form a team bonding and understanding and you have seen the price we have paid with not 'getting off to a flyer'.
The small size of the league is there to try and make every game a meaningful game, however because of that, managers are reluctant to try out youngsters in games.

dangermouse
24-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Williamson! The man who was going to sign Bobby Mann with Riordan and Whittaker going in the opposite direction!

SJM
24-03-2016, 10:16 AM

He had no alternative. But yeah, credit to Williamson for bringing them through. Nearly destroyed Riordan at Hibs but.

Main credit has to be the one's that discovered and developed them enough to step up to the first team though, imo.