PDA

View Full Version : Hamburg Stag Doo!

Chip shop Joe
23-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Morning all

I am in the process of organising a stag doo to Hamburg and just wondered if anyone had any ideas for where to stay, things to do during the day etc? We are heading out at the end of July so will hopefully catch a pre season friendly but not sure when these might be advertised.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GGTH

lyonhibs
23-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Stay out on the batter and end up at the Fish Market at about 5am. Bit of a Hamburg tradition.

Great city. There's like a Portuguese area down near the St Pauli stadium which is great for going out. Me and a mate ended up in a St Pauli's supporters bar absolutely banjaxed and the bar wench misunderstood my hand signal for "no more" and served us the 1 pint that was definitely the 1 too many!

You could go on a wee cruise around the Alster or open topped bus trip. There's a big micro brewery down on the river banks which is great for a few shandies.

I went to a Hamburg game, where they won 3-2 after 5 consecutive losses, so the atmosphere was great.

lugz
23-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Morning all

I am in the process of organising a stag doo to Hamburg and just wondered if anyone had any ideas for where to stay, things to do during the day etc? We are heading out at the end of July so will hopefully catch a pre season friendly but not sure when these might be advertised.

GGTH

Watch out for "strip clubs" we went to one of my mates stag do and let's just say it wasn't a strip club as we know it and a pleasant gentleman chased us out for not buying his clients services :greengrin

Apart from that it's a great city with plenty good bars for a stag doo, never took in any football as both Hamburg and St Pauli were away from home that weekend.

CB_NO3
23-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Dont go to a Hamburg game as they have a love in with the Huns. St Pauli area is cool. They have a Hibs penant in the stadium bar. The Reeperbhan has some really good pubs too. There is a plaque on the wall that shows where The Beatles had their residency. Its also good to people watch. There is a Russian submarine down the harbour thats worth a visit.

lyonhibs
23-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Dont go to a Hamburg game as they have a love in with the Huns. St Pauli area is cool. They have a Hibs penant in the stadium bar. The Reeperbhan has some really good pubs too. There is a plaque on the wall that shows where The Beatles had their residency. Its also good to people watch. There is a Russian submarine down the harbour thats worth a visit.

Meh. I saw 1 flag outside the stadium that was from travelling Huns but no indication that the club itself has an affiliation/affliction for the Huns (although I accept they clearly do at times, as witnessed by the massive "No Surrender" flag when they played Celtc)

Great stadium and if St Pauli are away and you want to go to the football I'd recommend it nonethless.

See if you can get the stag featured on the club's official picture gallery as happened to me at Munchen 1860 :party::embarrass

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Hamburg is absolutely tremendous. I've been loads of times for boys trips, gigs, football trips, stags etc. ALWAYS stay in either the A+O (FKA The Stern) on the Reeperbahn or the St Joseph, just round the corner on a street called Grosse Freiheit, opposite the famous Dolls House Club (which is a must if you're on a stag). Neither are particularly nice but clean and all about location! Only advise for the Reeperbahn is not to peak too soon. The locals don't come out until midnight, by which time most of the Brits abroad types are already blootered. Molly Malones is a great bar in the square, always heaving with live music and on a wee open air quadrangle with a couple of other bars and a club. Oh and the working girls on the street can be very persuasive and are stunning so be strong!

For things to do, Hamburg games are good, despite the Rangers connection. There's always a couple of Union Jacks with some Loyalist pish in on it in the stand. Not as good fun as St Pauli but much easier to get tickets. St Pauli is pretty much impossible to get tickets due to being a tiny wee ramshackle ground and a very loyal support. They have an equally galling connection with Celtic.

As mentioned above, the Fish Market is a must. Just a short walk from the Reeperbahn, opens at 5am in the summer and 6am in the winter (may be 6am & 7am). A big hall with live music and a brilliant atmosphere. Highly recommended!

You'll have a blast, think Amsterdam but with a lot less English stags and tourists. Aaaargh.....I want to book a trip now!

Giro Playboy
23-03-2016, 04:41 PM
. St Pauli is pretty much impossible to get tickets due to being a tiny wee ramshackle ground and a very loyal support. ! You've obviously not been there for a long time. They redeveloped one of their stands a while back pushing the capacity up to 30'000.
Every St Pauli game sells out but their is always tickets for sale outside the ground.
The stadium has a fantastic atmosphere.

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 04:49 PM
You've obviously not been there for a long time. They redeveloped one of their stands a while back pushing the capacity up to 30'000.
Every St Pauli game sells out but their is always tickets for sale outside the ground.
The stadium has a fantastic atmosphere.

It's a few years since I was last inside the ground, it resembled Brokville, but I have been outside since the refurb trying (and failing) to buy tickets on the streets.

Giro Playboy
23-03-2016, 05:06 PM
It's a few years since I was last inside the ground, it resembled Brokville, but I have been outside since the refurb trying (and failing) to buy tickets on the streets. Like all German clubs they have a thing called the Fanladen and they help fans with tickets, travel and general information. When I go to St Pauli I always e mail them before I go and they arrange tickets. I pick them up from their small office outside the ground.
As for buying them outside the ground its just your luck who you bump into. I've seen fans on loads of occasions trying to sell tickets. I've also been at games when I've seen nobody.
The ground has underwent a huge redevelopment over the last 3 years which makes it bigger and a lot more modern but like ER this has killed a bit of the atmosphere. Its still a great experience though and one I would recommend.

As for the Celtic/Rangers thing this is a bit of a myth. Hamburg have a section of their support which is Nazi right wing. St Pauli on the other hand are anti establishment left wing. Both clubs have tie ups with many different clubs all over the world. Celtic and Rangers being just two.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-03-2016, 05:26 PM
I was on my own stag do in Hamburg a few years ago. The most famous place to go out is the Reaperbahn, which is worth seeing once and then not going back to. There are other good areas, St Pauli is one but my memory is a bit hazy.

The only 'activity' we had was a private boat tour of the harbour which came with a large amount of alcohol and an attractive local lady who made sure we were entertained. It was quite a cool way to spend a few hours. We didn't make it to a football match but I've been to German football before and if definitely recommend it.

The locals were friendly and seemed more tolerant of stag do's than other places in Europe (not that a hibee would misbehave but a group of brits on a night out isn't always well received). Sure you'll have a great time.

paddy1875
23-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Not Hamburg but I'm heading to Cologne for my stag do a week tomorrow. My big brother has organised tickets for 20 of us to take in the Leverkusen Wolfsburg game on the Friday night. That's about all I know just now. Anybody been to Cologne?
Only thing iv heard about it is the trouble at a New Year's Eve party and a recent riot at a train station!

Colr
23-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Morning all

GGTH
Stag doo? Is that a pigeon based chimera?

CB_NO3
23-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Meh. I saw 1 flag outside the stadium that was from travelling Huns but no indication that the club itself has an affiliation/affliction for the Huns (although I accept they clearly do at times, as witnessed by the massive "No Surrender" flag when they played Celtc)

Great stadium and if St Pauli are away and you want to go to the football I'd recommend it nonethless.

See if you can get the stag featured on the club's official picture gallery as happened to me at Munchen 1860 :party::embarrass

They call themselves the Blues Brothers due to their tie in with Chelsea and The Huns. I went in the Hamburg bar and left after 30 seconds due to "follow follow" getting blasted out over the speakers.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Went for my mates stag do a year past Oct, was tremendous. We got tickets for the St Pauli game no bother a couple of months before we went. They got beat 0-4 but the atmosphere was great and you don't even need to leave your seat to drink your pint [emoji482].
We bought scarves at the game then drunkenly wandered into a Hamburg boozer an hour later wearing them just as Hamburg went 3-0 down on the tv in the evening kick off [emoji15] Literally chased out the bar and down the street. Apart from that was a top weekend

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Not Hamburg but I'm heading to Cologne for my stag do a week tomorrow. My big brother has organised tickets for 20 of us to take in the Leverkusen Wolfsburg game on the Friday night. That's about all I know just now. Anybody been to Cologne?
Only thing iv heard about it is the trouble at a New Year's Eve party and a recent riot at a train station!

Another great city and great night out. Whatever you do, don't go to Pascha! :wink::wink:
(Not to be confused with the Ibiza super club with a similar name)

anon1875
23-03-2016, 10:37 PM
My mates are going in September and they're staying right next to FC St Pauli's stadium mate, slap bang in the middle of the red light. Enjoy my man.

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Only thing iv heard about it is the trouble at a New Year's Eve party and a recent riot at a train station!been to Cologne, yes. nice very clean place. the trouble with new year sex offences/groping young girls etc ,and possibly more all happened in the cathedral area, as far as I "read". the Cathedral is a wonder in itself, but cant imagine 20 young guys on a stag do going there:thumbsup: try the Snitzels though, and who ever's round it is just shout......................sweisein beir bitte! when you are accused of being ein Englander, do reply saying ..nein, ich bin ein Schott. :wink: you might of course be fluent in Deutsche.:confused:

Giro Playboy
24-03-2016, 12:10 AM
My mates are going in September and they're staying right next to FC St Pauli's stadium mate, slap bang in the middle of the red light. Enjoy my man. If your mates are into prostitution they are going to be disappointed. St Paulis ground might be just off the Reeperbahn but the actual red light district is much further up the street.

Giro Playboy
24-03-2016, 12:18 AM
They call themselves the Blues Brothers due to their tie in with Chelsea and The Huns. I went in the Hamburg bar and left after 30 seconds due to "follow follow" getting blasted out over the speakers. The Blues Brothers are Rangers, Chelsea and Linfield.

monktonharp
24-03-2016, 12:23 AM
The Blues Brothers are Rangers, Chelsea and Linfield.and Hamburg, naw?

Giro Playboy
24-03-2016, 01:11 AM
and Hamburg, naw? Ive been going to Hamburg for years to watch St Pauli and i know a few HSV fans as well. I've never heard them refer to themselves as that. So naw

paddy1875
24-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Another great city and great night out. Whatever you do, don't go to Pascha! :wink::wink: (Not to be confused with the Ibiza super club with a similar name)

Haha funnily enough that's all iv been hearing about!

What floor do u suggest??

CB_NO3
24-03-2016, 08:52 AM
https://m.facebook.com/bluebrotherss

pacorosssco
25-03-2016, 11:34 AM
In Germany 5/6 times a year.

Hamburg - Edgy city like Amsterdam, fantastic. Astra beer very decent. Theres a Hofbrau near the water and rathuis . A taste of Munich in hamburg. Start a day here. Bavarian breakfast . Big bier, pretzel sausage and lush mustard. Loads to do but I recomend try not get stuck in red light all of time but there are lots of bars sprung up around it that are very good and St Pauli. Some very good German bar/restaurants street right behind train station. Dont go St Georg pretty grim.

Cologne - Kolsh Bier, best ive had. Gaffel my favourite . Loads of bierhaus in cologne . If you travel out a bit theres cracking beach bars. http://www.cologne.de/eat-and-drink/beach-clubs.html . In town area with all dutch and belgian strasse names very good. Between Aachenerstrasse and Antwerpenerstrasse.

Enjoy

Cocaine&Caviar
25-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Im off to Prague in May. Any advice for there?

Since90+2
25-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Since this has turned into a Travel guide anyone been to Bratislava or Vienna? Off there in a couple of weeks.

Giro Playboy
25-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Since this has turned into a Travel guide anyone been to Vienna? It means nothing to me

Chip shop Joe
25-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice re Hamburg. I will definitely look into some of these suggestions.

Ps no idea about Vienna !!!

Phil MaGlass
25-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Hamburg is a great city. Harbour area os pretty good. Have a beer watchin the boats. Also in the summer you are seemingly allowed to put a tent up under the bridges and camp. Theres a wee beautiful French bar somewhere in the centre wish ah could remember name.it has beautifil painted ceiling and a bit of character. Well worth a visit

pacorosssco
25-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Hamburg is a great city. Harbour area os pretty good. Have a beer watchin the boats. Also in the summer you are seemingly allowed to put a tent up under the bridges and camp. Theres a wee beautiful French bar somewhere in the centre wish ah could remember name.it has beautifil painted ceiling and a bit of character. Well worth a visit

Cafe Paris? tiles Hamburg style. Le Lion across the road for a good tailofcock

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Barbarossaplatz in Cologne is/was quite decent for boozers.

Phil MaGlass
26-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Cafe Paris? tiles Hamburg style. Le Lion across the road for a good tailofcock

Cheers for that, was starting to drive me nuts

HibbyDave
26-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Go to Kraków instead. Great city, very cheap and loads to see and do.

andyf5
27-03-2016, 07:06 AM

I agree but then I'm over 50. Been to both Hamburg and Krakow recently. Walking tour of Hamburg worth doing to get rid of the hangover. Free and paid ones available. Davidstrasse off areiperbahn is stag territory, Paddys bar just off main square is good and Groninger bar is traditional German south of main square.

Frazerbob
27-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Krakow is stunning and EVERYONE should visit Auschwitz at some point. However I would not recommend going at the weekend, especially not spring or early summer. A bit like the Baltic capitals, stag nights galore which have totally ruined the experience. Hamburg is still a little off the radar with the (mainly English) stag circuit and is busy with locals which makes far more appealing.