PDA

View Full Version : Champioship Play-offs

Turkish Green
23-03-2016, 08:53 AM
With the Huns running away with the title and with Raith's victory last night over St Mirren, it looks certain that the play-offs will be contested by Hibs, Falkirk & Raith.

Last season Hibs finished 2nd and even having home advantage were eliminated by Rangers in the Play-off semi-final despite beating them convincingly 3 times in the regular season.

As I have said on other threads, I am still confident that if Hibs get to the final they will progress against either Hamilton or Killie, the worry is that if they do not finish 2nd that they will trip up due to having to play both Raith and Falkirk in 2 leg contests.

Since the end of Feb it has been poor results for the club. 4 losses in the league against lower opposition with only the Cup win at ICT The present momentum is certainly with Falkirk and Raith.

The current form is:
Falkirk WDWD
Hibs L L L L
Raith WWDW

Regardless, Hibs will best Raith if they meet in the 3/4 play-off but I am not so sure about them overcoming Falkirk on current form. IF Hibs win their outstanding 2 games then they will be level on points with Falkirk, however Falkirk has a better GF. Comparing Hibs with Falkirk shows that in 50/50 games the Bairns tend to grind out draws while Hibs lose. Hibs have lost 7 games in the league so far while Falkirk only 3. Defensively, Hibs have not kept a clean sheet since beating Alloa 3-0 and Hanlon got injured. All this does not bode well for playing Falkirk over 2 legs.

It must be difficult for Stubbs and the players to concentrate on the league when they are still involved in the Cup but getting to the Cup final will likely distract the players from the Play-off final.

Has leeann given Stubbs a priority League v Cup? Or is it take one game at a time as Ranieri is doing.

Onion
23-03-2016, 10:07 AM
With the Huns running away with the title and with Raith's victory last night over St Mirren, it looks certain that the play-offs will be contested by Hibs, Falkirk & Raith.

Last season Hibs finished 2nd and even having home advantage were eliminated by Rangers in the Play-off semi-final despite beating them convincingly 3 times in the regular season.

As I have said on other threads, I am still confident that if Hibs get to the final they will progress against either Hamilton or Killie, the worry is that if they do not finish 2nd that they will trip up due to having to play both Raith and Falkirk in 2 leg contests.

Since the end of Feb it has been poor results for the club. 4 losses in the league against lower opposition with only the Cup win at ICT The present momentum is certainly with Falkirk and Raith.

The current form is:
Falkirk WDWD
Hibs L L L L
Raith WWDW

Regardless, Hibs will best Raith if they meet in the 3/4 play-off but I am not so sure about them overcoming Falkirk on current form. IF Hibs win their outstanding 2 games then they will be level on points with Falkirk, however Falkirk has a better GF. Comparing Hibs with Falkirk shows that in 50/50 games the Bairns tend to grind out draws while Hibs lose. Hibs have lost 7 games in the league so far while Falkirk only 3. Defensively, Hibs have not kept a clean sheet since beating Alloa 3-0 and Hanlon got injured. All this does not bode well for playing Falkirk over 2 legs.

It must be difficult for Stubbs and the players to concentrate on the league when they are still involved in the Cup but getting to the Cup final will likely distract the players from the Play-off final.

Has leeann given Stubbs a priority League v Cup? Or is it take one game at a time as Ranieri is doing.

If the Play Offs were about to start, then your analysis might have some merit. But we have 9 big matches still to play before then and a lot can happen. Looking at current form is little better than looking at our respective forms 9 games ago when Hibs would have been strong favourites to progress. We've got some key players coming back, plenty time for Stubbs to rebuild confidence, and lost our "hot favourite" tag which brings its own pressure.

IMO if we had to have a slump in form, now is much better than in the last 4 games of the season.

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2016, 10:42 AM
The cup v play offs dilemma is a tough one for Hibs ...... if we were to fail in the play offs the money from a cup final could be vital to us next season, but on the other hand putting everything into winning our semi final could affect our chances of a 2nd place finish.

Its all down to upping our game following our recent slump .... if we can we need fear no one or nothing apart from fatigue, which makes finishing 2nd vital IMO.

dangermouse
23-03-2016, 10:54 AM
The cup v play offs dilemma is a tough one for Hibs ...... if we were to fail in the play offs the money from a cup final could be vital to us next season, but on the other hand putting everything into winning our semi final could affect our chances of a 2nd place finish.

Its all down to upping our game following our recent slump .... if we can we need fear no one or nothing apart from fatigue, which makes finishing 2nd vital IMO.

As far as I'm aware, semi-final and final gate receipts are pooled and shared between the four teams, so regardless if we get to the final or not we should get a decent wedge.

Vini1875
23-03-2016, 01:06 PM
As far as I'm aware, semi-final and final gate receipts are pooled and shared between the four teams, so regardless if we get to the final or not we should get a decent wedge.

Semi-final money is pooled between the four teams, but I'm pretty sure the final money is split between the two finalists.

CropleyWasGod
23-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Semi-final money is pooled between the four teams, but I'm pretty sure the final money is split between the two finalists.

It is.

Andy.1875
23-03-2016, 01:16 PM

One of which will be Hibs :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Thats right.