PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon's return

KWJ
23-03-2016, 03:42 AM
Hanlon could be back after the break.

He didn't play in the Morton capitulation and was injured v Dumbarton in the next game albeit when we were getting beat.

Not the first time a bad run of form has coincided with his absence, can't wait to have him back, hopefully sporting a new contract.

givescotlandfreedom
23-03-2016, 04:37 AM
It will be a great boost to have him back. Mr consistency.

Springbank
23-03-2016, 04:51 AM
IMHO the Hanlon/McGregor combination has spared a lot of blushes this season for oxley (as they position themselves well and defend cross balls that ought - in most teams - to be the keepers ball)

The break up of that pairing has coincided with a lot of exposure to the simple cross ball, panicky defending and goals conceded

We've missed PH

hibbysam
23-03-2016, 06:35 AM
IMHO the Hanlon/McGregor combination has spared a lot of blushes this season for oxley (as they position themselves well and defend cross balls that ought - in most teams - to be the keepers ball)

The break up of that pairing has coincided with a lot of exposure to the simple cross ball, panicky defending and goals conceded

We've missed PH

Deary me. A thread commenting on Paul Hanlon and someone still manages to bash Oxley... Unsurprising but oh so boring.

CABBAGEMAD
23-03-2016, 06:49 AM
This run of form certainly won't do his contract talks any harm we need him fit and signed up asap he is the one that holds defence together and look a much stronger unit:thumbsup:

SON OF PADDY
23-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Deary me. A thread commenting on Paul Hanlon and someone still manages to bash Oxley... Unsurprising but oh so boring.

Morning Mr Oxley !!

Nicho87
23-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Hope he doesnt fancy a new club

superfurryhibby
23-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Hope he doesnt fancy a new club

I'm sure he wants to stay at Hibs. If the word was out that he was going to leave then there would have been pre-contract offers surely?

Lynchpin of the team, his return should help steady the ship.

Jones28
23-03-2016, 11:31 AM

We've missed PH

Surely the exposure to cross balls is down to poor defending and it's not oxleys fault?

bournehibby
23-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Surely the exposure to cross balls is down to poor defending and it's not oxleys fault?

Don't think the Ox's form has dipped that much over the last few games. What has happened is that he has been exposed a bit more during Hanlon's absence.
PH has been a massive player for us in this exciting campaign, and no coincidence that we've leaked soft goals whilst he's been injured.

Hurry back Paul, you're needed for the final push !:flag:

bh

JimBHibees
23-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Don't think the Ox's form has dipped that much over the last few games. What has happened is that he has been exposed a bit more during Hanlon's absence.
PH has been a massive player for us in this exciting campaign, and no coincidence that we've leaked soft goals whilst he's been injured.

Hurry back Paul, you're needed for the final push !:flag:

bh

Good player but you do remember he was on the pitch when we were 3 down to Dumbarton including having a big say in goal 2 along with the keeper.

Seveno
23-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I think it is a simple matter of getting Hanlon back and we will get promotion. Without him, we will stay in the Championship.

dangermouse
23-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Back working in the gym according to my source and has scrambled egg on toast for his breakfast.

HibsNutter
23-03-2016, 01:31 PM

It was fair comment.

Ozyhibby
23-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Hanlon and Mcgeogh back and I would feel a lot more confident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Hanlon and Mcgeogh back and I would feel a lot more confident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyvie's been a big miss.

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2016, 02:40 PM

We've missed PH
So our defenders have bailed our keeper out by defending properly?

marinello59
23-03-2016, 02:54 PM

And if they don't defend properly all the blame lies with the keeper. We can't have Oxley getting credit for anything basically.

Springbank
23-03-2016, 04:04 PM

No

our defenders have had to bail him out by defending loads more balls (6yard box territory) than most defenders would usually have to.
it all means we sit deeper and the goals we lose to crosses and corners (Morton, Ross county, Dumbarton, Raith) are often from very close range.

My point on this Paul Hanlon thread was that most of those (except Dumbarton) have come when Hanlon has been out as he has bailed us out a lot in the 6 yard box (the keepers natural domain) throughout this season.

Bostonhibby
23-03-2016, 04:49 PM
And if they don't defend properly all the blame lies with the keeper. We can't have Oxley getting credit for anything basically.
He scored a goal once. I blame Cummings for not being on the end of Oxleys long pass to just tap it in

Smartie
23-03-2016, 06:40 PM
It doesn't matter who does what, as long as they know what to expect of one another.

We never lost goals from cross balls when Rob Jones was here because it was his responsibility, he got his noggin on everything.

Sometimes you'll have a keeper who fancies himself at coming for crosses - the defenders just leave balls for him to claim. That works.

Colgan never came for much, but the defence dealt with it all leaving him to do his stuff his way, and that (largely) worked.

I don't know why but I just don't think we'd have lost the 1st goal we lost against Morton if Paul Hanlon had been on the park. And that goal seems to have set the tone for our past few games, we were doing fine (especially defensively) until it went in.

This shouldn't be about Oxley bashing or whatever - for the most part this season, as long as Paul Hanlon has been in it our defensive unit has looked solid. That includes our much-maligned goalkeeper.

hibsbollah
23-03-2016, 06:47 PM
I think it is a simple matter of getting Hanlon back and we will get promotion. Without him, we will stay in the Championship.

Yep. He's been that important. Player of the year was in the bag until the injury. Brilliant news he'll get a good run of games before the semi and the playoff game.

brog
23-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Paul, Dylan & Fraser all back after the break. Great news!

Brightside
23-03-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm sure he wants to stay at Hibs. If the word was out that he was going to leave then there would have been pre-contract offers surely?

Lynchpin of the team, his return should help steady the ship.

If we stay down he won't.

Iggy Pope
24-03-2016, 11:32 AM
It doesn't matter who does what, as long as they know what to expect of one another.

We never lost goals from cross balls when Rob Jones was here because it was his responsibility, he got his noggin on everything.

Sometimes you'll have a keeper who fancies himself at coming for crosses - the defenders just leave balls for him to claim. That works.

Colgan never came for much, but the defence dealt with it all leaving him to do his stuff his way, and that (largely) worked.

I don't know why but I just don't think we'd have lost the 1st goal we lost against Morton if Paul Hanlon had been on the park. And that goal seems to have set the tone for our past few games, we were doing fine (especially defensively) until it went in.

This shouldn't be about Oxley bashing or whatever - for the most part this season, as long as Paul Hanlon has been in it our defensive unit has looked solid. That includes our much-maligned goalkeeper.

Revisionism at its worst. Did he bollox.

Smartie
24-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Revisionism at its worst. Did he bollox.

Jones was outstanding at backs to the wall stuff and heading crosses away. I remember there being a couple of games towards the end of Mixu's time when we played both of the Old Firm in quick succession at ER. He was outstanding in both. They were flinging everything they could into the box as they were both chasing the title and iirc we drew both, one game 1-1 and the other 0-0.

A while after he left we developed a weakness from crosses (may have been when Stack was here) and we were all longing for the time when Jones was dealing with the majority of these balls.

Jones had his weaknesses (remember the crazy charges into the midfield when his man dropped deep) but I only ever remember him being superb at clearing crosses and us not losing many goals from crosses during this spell - an achilles heel we've suffered from a few times over the years.

hibsbollah
24-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Jones was outstanding at backs to the wall stuff and heading crosses away. I remember there being a couple of games towards the end of Mixu's time when we played both of the Old Firm in quick succession at ER. He was outstanding in both. They were flinging everything they could into the box as they were both chasing the title and iirc we drew both, one game 1-1 and the other 0-0.

A while after he left we developed a weakness from crosses (may have been when Stack was here) and we were all longing for the time when Jones was dealing with the majority of these balls.

Jones had his weaknesses (remember the crazy charges into the midfield when his man dropped deep) but I only ever remember him being superb at clearing crosses and us not losing many goals from crosses during this spell - an achilles heel we've suffered from a few times over the years.

Indeed, agree with all of that. My only gripe with Jones is the way he screamed and shouted at his teammates after a mistake, Maka in particular, which I never thought was really 'captain' behaviour. But he was a great, and underrated player for us.

truehibernian
24-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Indeed, agree with all of that. My only gripe with Jones is the way he screamed and shouted at his teammates after a mistake, Maka in particular, which I never thought was really 'captain' behaviour. But he was a great, and underrated player for us.

Don't think Maka recovered after the volleys he got from Jones bollah - I agree with all your post, Jones was a great player but he berated the confidence from the big felly.

Schteff
24-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Back training tomorrow :aok:

silverhibee
24-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Back training tomorrow :aok:

Good to hear.

JimBHibees
25-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Don't think Maka recovered after the volleys he got from Jones bollah - I agree with all your post, Jones was a great player but he berated the confidence from the big felly.

To be fair he was an appalling goalie.

Broken Gnome
25-03-2016, 06:23 AM
To be fair he was an appalling goalie.

Who was the guy on here that wouldn't hear a bad word against him and insisted he was world-class in the making?

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2016, 06:29 AM
Great news about Paul, the early news was awful so glad for him (and us) it was not as serious as first thought. :top marks

Aldo
25-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Paul, Dylan & Fraser all back after the break. Great news!

Great news Brog. All 3 are massive players for us!

All fighting fit and raring to go just in time for run in!!

Danderhall Hibs
25-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Who was the guy on here that wouldn't hear a bad word against him and insisted he was world-class in the making?

Hibs Spain. I used to argue all the time with him.

TBF he was/is a good lad (think he got banned from here in the end) - he gave me a spare ticket for a derby and we had a pint before the match. Not got a clue about goalies though. :hilarious

Hiber-nation
25-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Hibs Spain. I used to argue all the time with him.

TBF he was/is a good lad (think he got banned from here in the end) - he gave me a spare ticket for a derby and we had a pint before the match. Not got a clue about goalies though. :hilarious

Hah, I forgot all about him. Used to sit a few rows in front of me when I was in the West Lower. I remember him standing up giving rapturous applause when Maka fumbled a shot past the post. I assumed he was being sarcastic till I worked out who he actually was.

JimBHibees
25-03-2016, 09:42 PM

Someone Makalamby ? :greengrin

Edson Arantes
25-03-2016, 09:48 PM
IMHO the Hanlon/McGregor combination has spared a lot of blushes this season for oxley (as they position themselves well and defend cross balls that ought - in most teams - to be the keepers ball)The break up of that pairing has coincided with a lot of exposure to the simple cross ball, panicky defending and goals concededWe've missed PH

The Ox getting it in the neck again?

Do some of you guys never leave it?

KWJ
26-03-2016, 01:35 AM
A quick Wiki check suggests that Maka has played 7 times since leaving us in 2010. Now without a club.

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2016, 01:44 AM
even with a crap memory i can remember maka's first game for us, at a tour game in oirland yep ? and i can remember everyone(at the game and on here) getting a tad excited because the big man was not only coming for a high ball but....catching and holding it as well :greengrin

marinello59
26-03-2016, 06:05 AM
even with a crap memory i can remember maka's first game for us, at a tour game in oirland yep ? and i can remember everyone(at the game and on here) getting a tad excited because the big man was not only coming for a high ball but....catching and holding it as well :greengrin

The first time I saw him was at a pre-season friendly against Brechin. Although his appearance was overshadowed by the first sighting of Alan O'Brien. John Collins was putting some team together.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2016, 08:03 AM

Was that not Malcownski?

Danderhall Hibs
26-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Was that not Malcownski?

I think it was.

AlbertK86
26-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Back working in the gym according to my source and has scrambled egg on toast for his breakfast.

He's big on the beans on toast after the gym

hibsbollah
26-03-2016, 03:08 PM
I see Paul Fowler in the Scotsman did a 'The Seventeen Most Improved Players in Scottish Football' article and managed to miss Hanlon. Bizarre. Jason Holt Jamie McDonald the McGregor gadgie at Celtic and John McGinn included.

Brightside
27-03-2016, 04:14 PM
I see Paul Fowler in the Scotsman did a 'The Seventeen Most Improved Players in Scottish Football' article and managed to miss Hanlon. Bizarre. Jason Holt Jamie McDonald the McGregor gadgie at Celtic and John McGinn included.

Because Hanlon has been top class for years.

hibsbollah
27-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Because Hanlon has been top class for years.

I think that's debatable. Previously hes been A bit hit and miss with a run of 6 strong games followed by a run of dodgy performances and a tendency to be muscled off the ball. I always 'liked' him, but hoped he'd improve. This season that's happened and then some. Arguably Our best player.

Super_JMcGinn
27-03-2016, 07:53 PM
I think that's debatable. Previously hes been A bit hit and miss with a run of 6 strong games followed by a run of dodgy performances and a tendency to be muscled off the ball. I always 'liked' him, but hoped he'd improve. This season that's happened and then some. Arguably Our best player.
To be equally fair if he can't improve or look good at this level he never will. And you're spot on about the out muscled part, the game against Dumbarton recently being one of those times, not for the first time Nade made him look like a schoolboy.

greenlex
27-03-2016, 07:54 PM
There she is.😂😂

Super_JMcGinn
27-03-2016, 08:44 PM
There she is.
My opinion is based on several years, not a couple of substitute appearances. :greengrin

monktonharp
27-03-2016, 09:17 PM
No

our defenders have had to bail him out by defending loads more balls (6yard box territory) than most defenders would usually have to.
it all means we sit deeper and the goals we lose to crosses and corners (Morton, Ross county, Dumbarton, Raith) are often from very close range.

My point on this Paul Hanlon thread was that most of those (except Dumbarton) have come when Hanlon has been out as he has bailed us out a lot in the 6 yard box (the keepers natural domain) throughout this season. I think, and it's only my own idea, that the amount of crosses that come in to the penalty box has a bit to do with how our full backs and to a certain extent the midfielders that should backtrack and assist them, react when opposition players have the temerity to try and run past and cross balls into dangerous areas for the said opposition. :wink:

monktonharp
27-03-2016, 09:21 PM
even with a crap memory i can remember maka's first game for us, at a tour game in oirland yep ? and i can remember everyone(at the game and on here) getting a tad excited because the big man was not only coming for a high ball but....catching and holding it as well :greengrinI was there, and can vividly remember him catching it:greengrin

Frogga
27-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I was on the same flight as Paul down to Southampton yesterday. Hopefully he's just down for a visit!