PDA

View Full Version : Billy Brown & Michael Stewart

Winston Ingram
22-03-2016, 09:21 PM
This pair came together tonight on BBC Scotland.

It was pretty much another 'strugglin'

It's hilarious. From 13 mins 30 seconds - 22 mins 45secs. Great listen. Brown comes across as a bitter, emotionally led old man incapable reasoned thinking or debate.

Well worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03nq5l0

SkintHibby
22-03-2016, 09:28 PM

It's hilarious. From 13 mins 30 seconds - 22 mins 45secs. Great listen. Brown comes across as a bitter, emotionally led old man incapable reasoned thinking or debate.

Well worth a listen.

Why the **** would any Hibee give two ****s what any Jambo thinks. WTF!:confused:

Bostonhibby
22-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Why the **** would any Hibee give two ****s what any Jambo thinks. WTF!:confused:

Might be a travel show - Broon's been places and dun hings.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Got respect for Mikey. Might be a Jambo but has forthright views that don't appear to fit a particular agenda, and expresses them which is fine in my book.

Brown. Wee Hertz fud. "aw'body in fitba hates ye Mikey". Strugglin.

stantonhibby
22-03-2016, 09:46 PM

Well worth a listen.

Superb......Brown is such a knob....would like to listen to the full 1/2 hour of them going at it

Winston Ingram
22-03-2016, 09:46 PM

I'd imagine the same people on here that enjoyed his 'been places, dun hings' video.

I'd also expect there are number of Hibs fans that enjoy hearing a Jambo making an erse of himself.

...other than that, nobody

Michael
22-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Might be a travel show - Broon's been places and dun hings.

Where exactly has he been anyway? Must have been difficult to see much of Yorkshire while stood behind Jim Jeffries.

Bostonhibby
22-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Where exactly has he been anyway? Must have been difficult to see much of Yorkshire while stood behind Jim Jeffries.
Fife AND musselburgh.

superfurryhibby
22-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Excellent. We rarely are allowed to get beneath the surface of Scottish football. Good to hear strong views and I thought Stewart got his responses just right. Would like to hear the full unexpurgated version. Apparently some rather strong language was used.

Brown GIRFUY.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2016, 10:30 PM
"I'm no sure what you were like as a player, or even if you used to play" :hilarious

J-C
22-03-2016, 10:47 PM
"I'm no sure what you were like as a player, or even if you used to play" :hilarious

I did laugh out loud when he said :greengrin

keep the faith
22-03-2016, 10:48 PM

That made me laugh too. Brown was properly owned by Stewart in that discussion. Brilliant!!

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Brown the clown. It still sticks in my craw he was employed by Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2016, 11:04 PM
That made me laugh too. Brown was properly owned by Stewart in that discussion. Brilliant!!

I did laugh out loud when he said :greengrin

Same here - he made him sound like an old dafty.

Anyone else Google Brown to see what places he's been?

lapsedhibee
22-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Anyone else Google Brown to see what places he's been?
Aye, Nitten.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Aye, Nitten.

:agree: and Mussy

It's a pity that Brown didn't understand what the discussion was about tonight.

R'Albin
22-03-2016, 11:17 PM
We actually employed Billy Brown. That just boggles my mind.

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Billy Brown in that wee clip personifies a lot of the arrogance that surrounds what are often referred to as 'fitba people' ........ "you've never coached or managed a team so you have no right to an opinion and if you do have one its gonna be wrong"

It was funny when MS was so vague about BB's playing career ....... Billy sounded a bit shocked that Mikey had to ask and sounded like he was going to call him a cheeky bugger, but with an average of just over 10 appearances a year in an 8 year senior career with Motherwell & Raith Rovers he obviously thought better of it.

Andy Bee
22-03-2016, 11:19 PM
I listened to this tonight, all very entertaining, both of them debating their thoughts of what qualifies as good "punditry". IMO both are decent, informative pundits with obviously different styles. My issue is with Preston, Gordon and "wealth off the scale" Keith Jackson. The BBC seemingly prides itself on impartiality so where do the aforementioned fit into that remit?

Ironically, later on in the show they were debating the good and bad of Mixus reaction to the opposition fans when UTD equalised in the Dundee derby, apparently he has a responsibility, as a manager, to keep calm and not provoke the fans yet the BBC allow the previous aforementioned pundits to show complete disrespect to a team they don't obviously like or in Jacksons case has a hidden agenda against. It's pathetic and I'm obviously provoked. If I happened to be a daily reader of the Record I'd bin it but thankfully by the age of 4 I'd already discovered Janet n John and the Record was sidelined for a far more eloquent reading experience.

GreenLake
23-03-2016, 12:52 AM
Admittedly I have been away for many years, but who is this guy? Where has he been and what has he done?

HoboHarry
23-03-2016, 02:37 AM
That honestly made me laugh. The term "Intellectual Lightweight" was made for Billy Brown. Lucky for Brown that idiots are too stupid to know they are idiots......

givescotlandfreedom
23-03-2016, 04:40 AM
I listened to this tonight, all very entertaining, both of them debating their thoughts of what qualifies as good "punditry". IMO both are decent, informative pundits with obviously different styles. My issue is with Preston, Gordon and "wealth off the scale" Keith Jackson. The BBC seemingly prides itself on impartiality so where do the aforementioned fit into that remit?

Ironically, later on in the show they were debating the good and bad of Mixus reaction to the opposition fans when UTD equalised in the Dundee derby, apparently he has a responsibility, as a manager, to keep calm and not provoke the fans yet the BBC allow the previous aforementioned pundits to show complete disrespect to a team they don't obviously like or in Jacksons case has a hidden agenda against. It's pathetic and I'm obviously provoked. If I happened to be a daily reader of the Record I'd bin it but thankfully by the age of 4 I'd already discovered Janet n John and the Record was sidelined for a far more eloquent reading experience.

You're absolutely right. What did Mixu do to the Dundee fans?

Winston Ingram
23-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Excellent. We rarely are allowed to get beneath the surface of Scottish football. Good to hear strong views and I thought Stewart got his responses just right. Would like to hear the full unexpurgated version. Apparently some rather strong language was used.

Brown GIRFUY.

It just concerns me that a man that thick can hold down a top job at so many clubs at the top level of Scottish Football. If there are more like him, it explains a lot.

JimBHibees
23-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Is their any footage of Mixus celebration in the Dundee derby?

Got a lot of time for Stewart by far the best pundit around. Brown is a balloon and should never have been employed by Hibs. His comment about having mixed emotions before the 2012 final should have immediately ended his tenure at Hibs

Winston Ingram
23-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Is their any footage of Mixus celebration in the Dundee derby?

Got a lot of time for Stewart by far the best pundit around. Brown is a balloon and should never have been employed by Hibs. His comment about having mixed emotions before the 2012 final should have immediately ended his tenure at Hibs

They're likely at the back end of the highlights of the game on the BBC website

Northernhibee
23-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Admittedly I have been away for many years, but who is this guy? Where has he been and what has he done?

He's been "places" and done "things".

superfurryhibby
23-03-2016, 07:23 AM
They're likely at the back end of the highlights of the game on the BBC website

Mixu cupped his hands to his lugs and faced the Dundee fans behind him, clearly vocalising his satisfaction at having equalised.

I suspect he had been getting dogs abuse all game, the usual banter. When he responded it hurt the poor wee laddies feelings. There were a small group of them in the video clearly going radge, polis seem to have had a word with Mixu.

Fans are such sensitive creatures, good at dishing it out but hysterical when a player gives it back.

Stokesy's on fire
23-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Well said Stewart and that strike against the sheep wow loved that goal

StevieC
23-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Excellent barney .. Brown is a tube.

CallumLaidlaw
23-03-2016, 08:13 AM
listened to it on the way to work this morning. As usual, Stewart came across well, and Brown sounded, well, like Billy Brown. :lolyam:

.Sean.
23-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Mikey Stewart goes up in my estimations nearly every week, something I never thought I'd be saying 5, 6 years ago! :agree:

High time dinosaurs in the ilk of Billy Brown where put in their places. Thankfully his sort are a dying breed.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Brown complaining that Stewart was the only one pointing out that Locke and Brown were making an arse of it at Hearts was funny.

He didn't grasp that that's one of the reasons folk like him as a pundit - he's one of the few that actually speak up and criticise "other football people".

The majority on there are so bland and trying not to upset their pals - like Preston the other week when he was defending Hartley v Nevin. Completely ridiculous considering Pat had him agreeing with him during the discussion!

Winston Ingram
23-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Mikey Stewart goes up in my estimations nearly every week, something I never thought I'd be saying 5, 6 years ago! :agree:

High time dinosaurs in the ilk of Billy Brown where put in their places. Thankfully his sort are a dying breed.

Stewart knew that all he needed to do was provide enough rope and Brown would hang himself.

snooky
23-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Stewart knew that all he needed to do was provide enough rope and Brown would hang himself.
That's what I call good noose. :greengrin

Jones28
23-03-2016, 09:50 AM
You're absolutely right. What did Mixu do to the Dundee fans?

After getting it tight for the whole game when UTD equilised he turned and cupped his hands towards the Dundee fans.

As an aside, is tannadice the only ground in the country that houses away supporters behind the dug outs?

Arch Stanton
23-03-2016, 10:09 AM
I actually enjoyed it when MS said 'you have to be blind not to understand and hear.....' - I bet he cringed when he heard himself say that.

Stokesy's on fire
23-03-2016, 10:19 AM
After getting it tight for the whole game when UTD equilised he turned and cupped his hands towards the Dundee fans.

As an aside, is tannadice the only ground in the country that houses away supporters behind the dug outs?

No Partick thistle give teams like us their entire main stand and we are behind the dug outs

SJM
23-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Can't stand Billy Brown, good to hear MS handing his arse to him on a plate. He was spot on about Locke too!

Jones28
23-03-2016, 11:29 AM
No Partick thistle give teams like us their entire main stand and we are behind the dug outs

Aha, cheers 👍

Betty Boop
23-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Two cheeks of the same arse.

eastmainsmsh
23-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Only in football Coz he was Jim Jeffries mate fact

Hiber-nation
23-03-2016, 12:26 PM

Hah, I know a guy who knows them both very well and he always insisted that this is the case.

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Didn't think Jefferies had any mates

Craig_HFC
23-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Didn't think Jefferies had any mates

And that's why he had to settle for Billy 'Ah've Done Things' Brown.

Big_Franck
23-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Great listen, thanks for posting that. I don't mind Michael Stewart to be honest, despite him being a jambo. One of very few jambos I don't mind.

For anyone that's not seen it for a while, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQWTdhRZw8) is Billy Brown's 'strugglin', 'been places, done things' video.

Biggie
23-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Just listened to it....hope mikey took him outside and knocked Browns head off His shoulders....brown comes out with the you can't comment nonsense/not qualified.......and his last pop at MS was "step away from the whiteboard"......aye cos you were Alex Ferguson broonie !.....oh aye and dinnae hurt wee gary cocks feelings again.

Allant1981
23-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Great listen, thanks for posting that. I don't mind Michael Stewart to be honest, despite him being a jambo. One of very few jambos I don't mind.

For anyone that's not seen it for a while, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQWTdhRZw8) is Billy Brown's 'strugglin', 'been places, done things' video.

Thats the first time ive seen that video, what a tool!!

hibs69
23-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Nearly choked and died on a bit Maccydees cheeseburger there. How have I never saw that "been there, done things" video. Fn hilarious.

Can't stand that Spiers guy either, but he was spot on at the end of the podcast there...... The pundits with big opinions just can't handle people thinking their opinion is pish. Always wanted Shearer to say, just once, "I think you're talking ***** there, Hansen." What a wobbly that would've been.

Tapes99
23-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Brown is a complete chump.

We had this clown in the dugout for a cup final against the tarts.

He's not qualified to pass water.

Bostonhibby
23-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Brown is a complete chump.

We had this clown in the dugout for a cup final against the tarts.

He's not qualified to pass water.
He had an erse hole transplant but it rejected him.

OtleyHibs
23-03-2016, 05:19 PM
I would like to pass comment but I am not 100% sure I have been enough places and done enough things to be qualified to comment

That the twat was ever employed by us still gets me wound up, he's a muppet

easty
23-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Even though I know it's coming, even though I've heard it multiple times before, when he actually comes out with it "ave been places..." It ****ing cracks me up. It's brilliant.

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Even though I know it's coming, even though I've heard it multiple times before, when he actually comes out with it "ave been places..." It ****ing cracks me up. It's brilliant.

I hadn't seen it before. What an arrogant bawbag, with the 'been places and done things' patter. He did nothing as a player and East Fife are the only club he's managed. WTF is he talking about? :confused:

emerald green
23-03-2016, 05:51 PM
We actually employed Billy Brown. That just boggles my mind.

I wonder who approved that appointment? Jeez. :rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
23-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I wonder who approved that appointment? Jeez. :rolleyes:

Pat Fenlon I presume

Bostonhibby
23-03-2016, 05:54 PM
I hadn't seen it before. What an arrogant bawbag, with the 'been places and done things' patter. He did nothing as a player and East Fife are the only club he's managed. WTF is he talking about? :confused:

A few posters like myself highlighted the fact that he will have been to Musselburgh but since he lives there, for the sake of accuracy I would like to replace Musselburgh with Fisherrow, pretty sure he will have been there so it's Fisherrow and Fife.

Top roaster is BB.

overdrive
23-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Pat Fenlon I presume

He was here before Fenlon arrived.

Smartie
23-03-2016, 06:29 PM

I always wondered what all the "strugglin" and "been places, done things" comments were all about.

Can't believe it's taken me until now to see that masterpiece of a video.

Hilarious.

Not sure I'm qualified to hold such an opinion but there you go.

brog
23-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Brown complaining that Stewart was the only one pointing out that Locke and Brown were making an arse of it at Hearts was funny.

He didn't grasp that that's one of the reasons folk like him as a pundit - he's one of the few that actually speak up and criticise "other football people".

The majority on there are so bland and trying not to upset their pals - like Preston the other week when he was defending Hartley v Nevin. Completely ridiculous considering Pat had him agreeing with him during the discussion!

Spot on, the Largs Mafia, aided & abetted by the Weegie press have monopolised & ruined Scottish football for far too many years!

KeithTheHibby
23-03-2016, 07:22 PM

I think he was brought in as Calderwoods assistant after Derek Adams left?

JimBHibees
23-03-2016, 07:33 PM

Don't think he was.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2016, 07:35 PM
I think he was brought in as Calderwoods assistant after Derek Adams left?

Yep he was. I'm strugglin to remember when I last saw Billy out and about on his bike with his last club's training gear on. Used to see him when he'd been places like the Co-op at Clayknowes and done things like buy half a dozen rolls.

Albion Hibs
23-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Cant stand either of them. Stewart makes a living out of being controversial, he probably does not believe half the stuff he says, he just knows if he does not say it he will be yesterday's news.

Winston Ingram
23-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Don't think he was.

Pretty sure he came in as caretaker before Fenlon arrived then stayed on to add his 'knowledge' of Scottish football

SuperAllyMcleod
23-03-2016, 07:48 PM
All this "you can't comment unless you've played or managed" nonsense gets on my nerves.

It basically says to fans - if you've taken money out the game you can comment but if you are putting money in, you can't.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2016, 07:50 PM
https://www.facebook.com/BareKnuckleGypsies/videos/701494516549037/

Here's Billy having a wee laugh in his garden. :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure he came in as caretaker before Fenlon arrived then stayed on to add his 'knowledge' of Scottish football

Ok just can't remember him being there when Pat arrived. A strange one to be honest as always like to see managers bringing their own people in.

AndyM_1875
24-03-2016, 08:13 AM

Was that knowledge written on the back of a stamp?
Honestly if that had been a boxing match it would have been stopped as the towel was chucked in by Brown's corner. Broon doesn't like Stewart, it was patent that he thinks Stewart had too much to say for himself, reads broadsheet newspapers, holds opinions and uses many big words that his brain doesn't understand.

Stewart was excellent as he usually is as a pundit. When he filleted Terry Butcher on Sportscene post Hamilton debacle describing his football as archaic and said TB had "no excuses for relegating Hibs" he gained my respect as a pundit and because he doesn't chase favours and kiss backsides from the cliquey "folk in fitba" and calls it like he sees it he's unpopular according to Billy Broon. As far as I'm concerned we need more Michael Stewarts doing punditry and less lickspittle nonsense from the "fitba folk".

It also echoed the nonsense that Yogi used to come out with about "fitba folk ken whit's goin on" as Hibs manager. Fans aren't stupid either, we are more informed and engaged with the game than we have ever been. If a team isn't performing and the manager is making errors we fans tend to notice.

overdrive
24-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Ok just can't remember him being there when Pat arrived. A strange one to be honest as always like to see managers bringing their own people in.

He was Calderwood's assistant (post-Adams). Filled in when Calderwood was sacked, applied for the job, didn't get it then was kept on as assistant when Fenlon arrived.

Winston Ingram
24-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Honestly if that had been a boxing match it would have been stopped as the towel was chucked in by Brown's corner. Broon doesn't like Stewart, it was patent that he thinks Stewart had too much to say for himself, reads broadsheet newspapers, holds opinions and uses many big words that his brain doesn't understand.

Stewart was excellent as he usually is as a pundit. When he filleted Terry Butcher on Sportscene post Hamilton debacle describing his football as archaic and said TB had "no excuses for relegating Hibs" he gained my respect as a pundit and because he doesn't chase favours and kiss backsides from the cliquey "folk in fitba" and calls it like he sees it he's unpopular according to Billy Broon. As far as I'm concerned we need more Michael Stewarts doing punditry and less lickspittle nonsense from the "fitba folk".

It also echoed the nonsense that Yogi used to come out with about "fitba folk ken whit's goin on" as Hibs manager. Fans aren't stupid either, we are more informed and engaged with the game than we have ever been. If a team isn't performing and the manager is making errors we fans tend to notice.

It was typically idiotic and hilariously hypocritical. Banging on repeatedly about it being personal with lock and it was exactly what he was being.

The journo's afterwards were very good as well. Trying to be impartial and not highlight what a clown Brown was.

TheFall
24-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Good post Andy.
Stewart ripped Brown up for arse paper. Top tip - Never argue with someone more intelligent than you.
The fitba folk who are still in the game bore us to death week after week.
Manager and player pre and post match interviews are the pits of the earth other than the few like Strachan who realise that the public want to be entertained by their comments.
Similarly pundits who either don't want to upset the fitba folk or who are not articulate enough to say anything interesting are a waste of space and our time.
Being a wee bit controversial here, people on this site who see everything Hibs as good and are paranoid about certain media guys being biased against Hibs etc etc are equally as tedious!
Cue the site Billy Broons.

The Green Goblin
24-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Good post Andy.
Stewart ripped Brown up for arse paper. Top tip - Never argue with someone more intelligent than you.
The fitba folk who are still in the game bore us to death week after week.
Manager and player pre and post match interviews are the pits of the earth other than the few like Strachan who realise that the public want to be entertained by their comments.
Similarly pundits who either don't want to upset the fitba folk or who are not articulate enough to say anything interesting are a waste of space and our time.
Being a wee bit controversial here, people on this site who see everything Hibs as good and are paranoid about certain media guys being biased against Hibs etc etc are equally as tedious!
Cue the site Billy Broons.

I think that it is not being paranoid to say that there are pundits who openly dislike Hibs. M'lud, the prosecution calls Alan "Biscuits" Preston and Richard "Karma" Gordon to the stand...

There are many different voices and opinions on this site, which is what makes it so interesting. I find some of them to be inspired, some really well informed, others thought-provoking, and others down right mental, but I wouldn't ever have agreed that even the very worst of the worst (judged imho) was anything like as desperate as Billy "Been Places and Done Things" Broon...

That's not an insult I would use against another Hibs fan, ever, no matter how much I disagreed with them.

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2016, 01:13 AM
I think that it is not being paranoid to say that there are pundits who openly dislike Hibs. M'lud, the prosecution calls Alan "Biscuits" Preston and Richard "Karma" Gordon to the stand...

There are many different voices and opinions on this site, which is what makes it so interesting. I find some of them to be inspired, some really well informed, others thought-provoking, and others down right mental, but I wouldn't ever have agreed that even the very worst of the worst (judged imho) was anything like as desperate as Billy "Been Places and Done Things" Broon...

That's not an insult I would use against another Hibs fan, ever, no matter how much I disagreed with them.

You called? :greengrin

TheFall
25-03-2016, 01:27 AM

We all know that Preston was an an ex Hearts player and Gordon is a lifetime Aberdeen fan but are they really bias against Hibs. At worst it's a bit of banter that shouldn't be taken seriously.
As has been said many times we received lots of praise from the pundits when we were ripping up trees and now that the wheels have come off the same pundits are asking what's gone wrong. Par for the course.
As for Billy Broon he obviously thought that Stewart took a cheap shot at his pal Locke to further his career and in doing so broke some unwritten fitba folk rule. He would have better to have punched him on the beak rather than get involved in a verbal joust were he came across as the opposite to "been places and done things"
Some Hibs fans are however, much more deluded than Broon and others are an embarrassment to the generally decent folk that support the club. I have seen some right nasty Hibs supporting knobs at away games so the fact that someone is a Hibs 'supporter' doesn't mean they are a good guy.

baggio70
25-03-2016, 05:24 AM
imo,
a lot of "football men " are wrapped up in cotton wool and are all singing from the same sheet. When some one new comes along that breaks the mold and rustles up up a few feathers they simply can't handle it. I for one think Michael Stewart is a breath of fresh air. It's not surprising people in fooblall don't like him.

mjhibby
25-03-2016, 06:39 AM

He does occasionally show a wee yam bias but apart from that is an excellent pundit who sees it as it is and doesn't go along with the cozy dinosaur clique on Sportsound. Pat Nevin is the best at dissecting tactics etc and if those two cover a game it's usually decent stuff. As for the rest. Amateurish,lazy,clichéd,boring,bigot Bros arsenal lickers the lot of them.

The Green Goblin
25-03-2016, 10:11 AM
We all know that Preston was an an ex Hearts player and Gordon is a lifetime Aberdeen fan but are they really bias against Hibs. At worst it's a bit of banter that shouldn't be taken seriously.
As has been said many times we received lots of praise from the pundits when we were ripping up trees and now that the wheels have come off the same pundits are asking what's gone wrong. Par for the course.
As for Billy Broon he obviously thought that Stewart took a cheap shot at his pal Locke to further his career and in doing so broke some unwritten fitba folk rule. He would have better to have punched him on the beak rather than get involved in a verbal joust were he came across as the opposite to "been places and done things"
Some Hibs fans are however, much more deluded than Broon and others are an embarrassment to the generally decent folk that support the club. I have seen some right nasty Hibs supporting knobs at away games so the fact that someone is a Hibs 'supporter' doesn't mean they are a good guy.

Nothing to do with my comment or our discussion. You've gone off on an exercise in deflection. You are talking about "away games" and "good guys", not me.... I am talking about what you actually wrote.

You wrote "cue the site Billy Broons", at the end of your post, referring to posters on this site (presumably those who were about to disagree with you). I said that that was an unjustifiable insult to any Hibs fan who posts on here.

Northernhibee
25-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Don't think he was.

He was and he even managed us for two games.

matty_f
25-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Are you a Hibs fan?

AlbertK86
25-03-2016, 12:09 PM

Yep my favourite bit !!

patlowe
25-03-2016, 12:11 PM
If you listen to Michael Stewart's (at times unbelievable) interview with the Monday Night Fitba guys it's clear that he is definitely a spiky personality and certainly does have a personal agenda in certain cases. However, I think he's a really entertaining pundit and he generally does say it as he sees it, in a very articulate and clear manner. There is also something in the idea that certain figures in the game do not like or feel threatened by, shall we say, 'intellectual' characters' involvement in the game. But yeah, he's certainly an interesting character.

Stewart is also one of the only pundits that I think actually watches Scottish football with enough of an interest and insight to comment in an informed and nuanced manner, rather than the majority who don't really watch games beyond the OF and just follow the general narrative when commenting. See the "Hibs are amazing"/"Hibs are awful" swing you've had on Sportsound this season, or the fact they thought Fyvie had been dropped the last few weeks, and the fact they couldn't even remember Malonga's existence the other night. Guys like English, Spiers and Jackson etc don't really pay attention and they don't really care, but they will certainly comment!

As for Billy Brown - just wow. How has he got so many gigs over the years?

s.a.m
25-03-2016, 12:28 PM
If you listen to Michael Stewart's (at times unbelievable) interview with the Monday Night Fitba guys it's clear that he is definitely a spiky personality and certainly does have a personal agenda in certain cases. However, I think he's a really entertaining pundit and he generally does say it as he sees it, in a very articulate and clear manner. There is also something in the idea that certain figures in the game do not like or feel threatened by, shall we say, 'intellectual' characters' involvement in the game. But yeah, he's certainly an interesting character.

Stewart is also one of the only pundits that I think actually watches Scottish football with enough of an interest and insight to comment in an informed and nuanced manner, rather than the majority who don't really watch games beyond the OF and just follow the general narrative when commenting. See the "Hibs are amazing"/"Hibs are awful" swing you've had on Sportsound this season, or the fact they thought Fyvie had been dropped the last few weeks, and the fact they couldn't even remember Malonga's existence the other night. Guys like English, Spiers and Jackson etc don't really pay attention and they don't really care, but they will certainly comment!

As for Billy Brown - just wow. How has he got so many gigs over the years?

:agree: This is the thing that gets my goat. I don't think it's bias, so much as lazy, following the crowd with no actual insight, information or interest in what is actually happening. It's even more lame when you consider how small the world of Scottish football is, and yet keeping abreast of it seems to be beyond most of them.:dunno:

TheFall
25-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Are you a Hibs fan?

I have my season ticket for next season and want Hibs to escape the Championship badly.

I just don't see the world exclusively through green glasses, I don't see Oxley as responsible for all our ills, I don't see Petrie as the Devil incarnate, I don't make an arse of myself at games, I enjoy speaking football with the supporters of other teams as well as with Hibs fans, I'm not paranoid about the media, etc etc.

TheFall
25-03-2016, 12:57 PM
:agree: This is the thing that gets my goat. I don't think it's bias, so much as lazy, following the crowd with no actual insight, information or interest in what is actually happening. It's even more lame when you consider how small the world of Scottish football is, and yet keeping abreast of it seems to be beyond most of them.:dunno:

It was amazing that Jackson couldn't remember Malonga's name and not saying he was black when he was trying to describe Malonga to his colleagues. Think he used something like big guy, played up front. Laughable.
Unfair of the poster before you to put Spiers and English in the same basket. Both know their stuff.
The broadsheet journo's are usually knowledgable and ex players other than Michael Stewart and Pat Nevin are pretty much all a waste of money.

patlowe
25-03-2016, 01:04 PM
It was amazing that Jackson couldn't remember Malonga's name and not saying he was black when he was trying to describe Malonga to his colleagues. Think he used something like big guy, played up front. Laughable.
Unfair of the poster before you to put Spiers and English in the same basket. Both know their stuff.
The broadsheet journo's are usually knowledgable and ex players other than Michael Stewart and Pat Nevin are pretty much all a waste of money.

I like Spiers and English and generally think they are pretty interesting journalists to read and listen to. My point is more a general one, in that when guys like them are asked about specific teams in Scottish football, such as Hibs, they do not have a very good knowledge of our situation, they don't watch our matches, so I feel like they follow the general narrative in their comments. So you get comments like "Hibs were scoring at will up until the last few weeks", although I admit that I can't remember who it was specifically out of that group that made that remark. If you'd been properly following Hibs and this league you would know that is patently not true. It's frustrating and pretty meaningless all told. Stewart on the other hand has a much more in-depth and nuanced view of the specifics of Scottish football IMO.

Broken Gnome
25-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I have my season ticket for next season and want Hibs to escape the Championship badly.

I just don't see the world exclusively through green glasses, I don't see Oxley as responsible for all our ills, I don't see Petrie as the Devil incarnate, I don't make an arse of myself at games, I enjoy speaking football with the supporters of other teams as well as with Hibs fans, I'm not paranoid about the media, etc etc.

That's an excellent answer without answering the question.

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2016, 01:05 PM

... all of which makes you unfit to be a member of this board.

:greengrin

TheFall
25-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Nothing to do with my comment or our discussion. You've gone off on an exercise in deflection. You are talking about "away games" and "good guys", not me.... I am talking about what you actually wrote.

You wrote "cue the site Billy Broons", at the end of your post, referring to posters on this site (presumably those who were about to disagree with you). I said that that was an unjustifiable insult to any Hibs fan who posts on here.

There are lots of people on here with interesting views but there are also a number of paranoid polarized Billy Broons

TheFall
25-03-2016, 01:09 PM
... all of which makes you unfit to be a member of this board.

:greengrin

:top marks:greengrin I am here to add some colour and perspective and I'll punch anyone who says I'm not :hibees

TheFall
25-03-2016, 01:12 PM
That's an excellent answer without answering the question.

YES! (As plain and unentertaining I can answer it :greengrin)

Danderhall Hibs
25-03-2016, 01:55 PM

It was Scott McDonald that had the memory blank - that's fair enough but for the rest of them to draw a blank was pretty poor. Although you're right if he had said the black guy they might have got it quicker!

patlowe
25-03-2016, 02:03 PM
It was Scott McDonald that had the memory blank - that's fair enough but for the rest of them to draw a blank was pretty poor. Although you're right if he had said the black guy they might have got it quicker!

Yep - I think he was trying to be (as he saw it) PC, then when someone said El Alagui, McDonald replied "no, the other one" :rolleyes:

Not suggesting there was anything sinister in this, just amusing hearing him get himself into a bit of a fankle!

Danderhall Hibs
25-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Yep - I think he was trying to be (as he saw it) PC, then when someone said El Alagui, McDonald replied "no, the other one" :rolleyes:

Not suggesting there was anything sinister in this, just amusing hearing him get himself into a bit of a fankle!

:hilarious I forgot about that.

TheFall
25-03-2016, 02:17 PM
I like Spiers and English and generally think they are pretty interesting journalists to read and listen to. My point is more a general one, in that when guys like them are asked about specific teams in Scottish football, such as Hibs, they do not have a very good knowledge of our situation, they don't watch our matches, so I feel like they follow the general narrative in their comments. So you get comments like "Hibs were scoring at will up until the last few weeks", although I admit that I can't remember who it was specifically out of that group that made that remark. If you'd been properly following Hibs and this league you would know that is patently not true. It's frustrating and pretty meaningless all told. Stewart on the other hand has a much more in-depth and nuanced view of the specifics of Scottish football IMO.

Yeah, good point about "following the general narrative" based on them merely looking at a teams recent results, place in the league table, goal scorers etc.
I can understand pundits and journo's not watching every game but they should know each teams players, who is injured, who is suspended, players previous teams. Hell, even I know these things.
I think ultimately they are there to entertain you and someone like Derek Ferguson is horrifically dim.
I always listen to Off The Ball when I can. Not because it is all funny or provides great incite but because they will at least try to entertain me and make fun of the Glasgowcentric media. However, it must be said that Tam Cowan has the worst music taste in the world and Stuart Cosgrove is more than a little pretentious.

TheFall
25-03-2016, 02:22 PM

By not saying black he wasn't being PC.
Not at all sinister just a bit ignorant which you can't afford to be in the media.

The Green Goblin
25-03-2016, 03:28 PM
There are lots of people on here with interesting views but there are also a number of paranoid polarized Billy Broons

You have reached those conclusions after being on this board for just 1 month, aye?

Calling Hibees "paranoid polarized Billy Broons"... :cb

TheFall
25-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Football fans and their teams online forums are very similar and it doesn't take long to see who plays what role online. Certainly not as long as a month.
On each and every fans forum you will see fans who make reasoned intelligent thought provoking comments whilst others are running in circles blaming the same old things for their teams lack of achievement. The referee, the manager, the board, the scapegoat player, the SPL, their nearest rivals, the biased media etc etc.
I come here to keep my finger on the pulse of what is happening with my team and to see what everyone is thinking about recent results, players form, tactics and the future.
The official sanitized site with it's blah blah blah saying nothing interviews with the manager and players, holds very little interest for me.

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Football fans and their teams online forums are very similar and it doesn't take long to see who plays what role online. Certainly not as long as a month.
On each and every fans forum you will see fans who make reasoned intelligent thought provoking comments whilst others are running in circles blaming the same old things for their teams lack of achievement. The referee, the manager, the board, the scapegoat player, the SPL, their nearest rivals, the biased media etc etc.
I come here to keep my finger on the pulse of what is happening with my team and to see what everyone is thinking about recent results, players form, tactics and the future.
The official sanitized site with it's blah blah blah saying nothing interviews with the manager and players, holds very little interest for me.
However, in its defence, the official site will tell you the nationality of our reserve goalkeeper [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TheFall
25-03-2016, 05:12 PM
However, in its defence, the official site will tell you the nationality of our reserve goalkeeper [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

:greengrin Big Beamer for me

patlowe
25-03-2016, 05:20 PM
By not saying black he wasn't being PC.
Not at all sinister just a bit ignorant which you can't afford to be in the media.

Exactly - that's why I said 'as he saw it'. It was an awkward moment that could have been relieved by just being clear that the guy he was talking about was black.

For me the most informed and intelligent discussion can often now be found on podcasts like The Terrace. Doesn't stop me listening to Sportsound and moaning about it though!

TheFall
25-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Exactly - that's why I said 'as he saw it'. It was an awkward moment that could have been relieved by just being clear that the guy he was talking about was black.

For me the most informed and intelligent discussion can often now be found on podcasts like The Terrace. Doesn't stop me listening to Sportsound and moaning about it though!

I remember being at a diversity meeting and a council manager in his input kept calling black people brown which is a PC no no. Each time he did it I felt pain for him. Diversity gaffes are often fatal :agree:

I listened to Brown & Stewart on Sportsound by following the link at the start of this thread.
The other beauty of podcasts is the ability to miss sections out if they are boring you to death

Bostonhibby
25-03-2016, 05:57 PM
You have reached those conclusions after being on this board for just 1 month, aye?

Calling Hibees "paranoid polarized Billy Broons"... :cb
There'll be a sermon on the mount along in a minute[emoji6]

FranckSuzy
25-03-2016, 06:02 PM

:agree: Blessed are the meek.

Eyrie
25-03-2016, 06:12 PM

What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Sir David Gray
25-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I thought this thread title was going to be the start of a song, similar to the one that started with;

"Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus..."

I just couldn't figure out what would rhyme with Stewart! :greengrin

FranckSuzy
25-03-2016, 06:22 PM
I thought this thread title was going to be the start of a song, similar to the one that started with;

"Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus..."

I just couldn't figure out what would rhyme with Stewart! :greengrin

Switch it around: "Michael Stewart and Jeremy Hunt"...:dunno::devil:

The Green Goblin
25-03-2016, 06:22 PM

:tee hee:

...for they shall inherit a debt free asbestos ridden bus shelter.

The sermon is there above. The gist of today's lessons was that a good number of Hibs fans on here are "paranoid, polarised Billy Broons" and the club's official web site is "sanitised" and has nothing of interest.

Still a couple of loaves and fishes kicking about though, if youse are hungry? Tuck in likes.

FranckSuzy
25-03-2016, 06:24 PM
What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, it's a joke sir, like Sillius Soddus or Biggus Dickus, Sir.

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Switch it around: "Michael Stewart and Jeremy Hunt"...:dunno::devil:

If anyone ever had an appropriate name, it's him :agree:

Bostonhibby
25-03-2016, 06:37 PM

"Blessed are the meek"! Oh, that's nice, isn't it?

I'm glad they're getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time.

Bostonhibby
25-03-2016, 06:39 PM

The sermon is there above. The gist of today's lessons was that a good number of Hibs fans on here are "paranoid, polarised Billy Broons" and the club's official web site is "sanitised" and has nothing of interest.

Still a couple of loaves and fishes kicking about though, if youse are hungry? Tuck in likes.

:greengrin Always good to have someone to interpret things for the likes of us, I always wondered where I was going wrong but now its all clear, whatever next.....................

FranckSuzy
25-03-2016, 06:43 PM

Much appreciated, during this most Holy Ground celebration, but as there appears to be some who are indeed sandwiches short of a picnic, I'll let them have first fibs :aok:

majorhibs
25-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I remember being at a diversity meeting and a council manager in his input kept calling black people brown which is a PC no no. Each time he did it I felt pain for him. Diversity gaffes are often fatal :agree:

I listened to Brown & Stewart on Sportsound by following the link at the start of this thread.
The other beauty of podcasts is the ability to miss sections out if they are boring you to death

I remember nae buffoons. No possible nowadays. Too many meetings & attendees fi planet zog.

TheFall
26-03-2016, 01:02 AM

pearls before swine:aok:
There is a new classic piece on the official web site about how the new young guy Mackie is settling in and how much the management are helping him etc etc. Dreadful stuff! You might like it though.

Pete
26-03-2016, 03:07 AM
There is a new classic piece on the official web site about how the new young guy Mackie is settling in and how much the management are helping him etc etc. Dreadful stuff! You might like it though.

:faf:

You seem to be rather bitter about this article for some strange reason.

The Green Goblin
26-03-2016, 04:55 AM

I did like it. If and when he makes it into the first team and does well, I will remember that piece and recall what our club did to nurture young talent like him.

But I must admit, yes, I do miss the days when the club didn't bother to keep fans informed about "dreadful" things like the progress of future players, how East Mains is used, match highlights, interviews with the players and coaches, youth teams, stadium tours, the community foundation, kicks for kids, charity work, the hibs lotto, club history, east terrace stones, match tickets, the club store, sponsorship, commercial information, responses to critical stories in the national press and so on, and instead just communicated with fans when ST renewal time arrived each year. They were the days, eh?

WWFTWTG
24-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have a working link or download of this? thanks.

One Day Soon
24-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Superb......Brown is such a knob....would like to listen to the full 1/2 hour of them going at it

:shocked:

Oh wait, you meant something else

CMurdoch
24-01-2018, 12:36 PM
The following description of Brown from the OP sounds like a lot of folk on here and jambo kickback "emotionally led man incapable of reasoned thinking or debate"

KWJ
24-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Unusual thread revival!

WWFTWTG
24-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Unusual thread revival!

It was classic stuff - just trying to find a copy, anyone?