PDA

View Full Version : The rising cost of football over the years - Liverpool

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 03:38 PM
On you tube last night I was watching some footage taken of old stadia. One example Anfield 1972, as the crowd leaves the game :

https://youtu.be/0MWMNlQzlFA

Check out the price of standing on The Kop back then: 40 pence! According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be £4.76 at today's prices. Scouse Hibee or anyone else, what's the cost of a ticket on The Kop this season? £4.76 might get you a burger, but it won't get you a ticket. Just one example of how the cost of going to football has increased multiple times the rate of inflation. So many fans have been priced out of the game in Britain, which is a real shame.

Can anyone remember the admission price for their first game at Easter Road? I was paid in by my dad and have no idea.

green&left
22-03-2016, 03:45 PM
On you tube last night I was watching some footage taken of old stadia. One example Anfield 1972, as the crowd leaves the game :

Check out the price of standing on The Kop back then: 40 pence! According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be £4.76 at today's prices. Scouse Hibee or anyone else, what's the cost of a ticket on The Kop this season? £4.76 might get you a burger, but it won't get you a ticket. Just one example of how the cost of going to football has increased multiple times the rate of inflation. So many fans have been priced out of the game in Britain, which is a real shame.

Can anyone remember the admission price for their first game at Easter Road? I was paid in by my dad and have no idea.

A Kop season ticket is around £700, Stretford End at old trafford is similar. Not too bad I guess really for the standard on show. When its close to or over a grand thats when its a pisstake.

kennyh
22-03-2016, 03:46 PM
We paid either £44 or £48 to be in the corner section of the Kop last year against West Ham.

A pal of mine is in the Lower Centenary for the Spurs game in a few weeks and that was £53.

It aint cheap

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 03:50 PM
We paid either £44 or £48 to be in the corner section of the Kop last year against West Ham.

A pal of mine is in the Lower Centenary for the Spurs game in a few weeks and that was £53.

It aint cheap

Aye, so admission on The Kop has increased at roughly TEN TIMES the rate of inflation since 1972 :soapbox:. The working man and woman paying through the nose so footballers can be paid £100,000 per week or more.

hughio
22-03-2016, 03:51 PM

If I remember rightly(!)my uncle took me to the upper West in 1965/6 to see Hibs v Falkirk.
Neil Martin was good.
Was it about 6 shillings?
Subsequently at the boys gate if you couldn't get a lift over it was 2 bob or so.:confused:

Someone please correct me.I cannot be the oldest Hibby in town without total brain fade.

SeanWilson
22-03-2016, 03:56 PM
It ain't cheap BUT if I had to pay (I don't 😝) I suppose I'd have to put it in to perspective - if hibs v rangers is £28... Liverpool v Spurs is value at £50.

SJM
22-03-2016, 04:02 PM
The clubs don't even reply on tickets sold any longer but there's a product there people are willing to pay so why would they lower it? If the product up here was similar it would be similar prices.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 04:06 PM
The clubs don't even reply on tickets sold any longer but there's a product there people are willing to pay so why would they lower it? If the product up here was similar it would be similar prices.

£22 to watch Hibs in the second tier, when the stadium is half empty. Times are hard for a lot of families and many find themselves priced out of attending. Something needs to be done address this, as the EPL might be looking at £100 per game average within a couple of decades, and what happens then?

green&left
22-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Bayern Munich chairman on their season ticket prices...

In the soundbite, from last year, he says: 'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?
'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.
'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.
'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318209/Bayern-Munich-season-tickets-low-104-putting-Premier-League-shame.html#ixzz43eWDatI4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JeMeSouviens
22-03-2016, 04:11 PM
I remember being shocked that the Skol cup final in 91 was £7! £7 for a game of football! Think ER was £3 or thereabouts at the time.

Smartie
22-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I remember being shocked that the Skol cup final in 91 was £7! £7 for a game of football! Think ER was £3 or thereabouts at the time.

I started going regularly a year or 2 after that.

I seem to remember it being £4 for kids and £7 for adults to get onto the East Terracing.

Ozyhibby
22-03-2016, 04:20 PM
If I'm being honest, it would not matter to me how good the quality on show was at games in England as I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy McKirdy
22-03-2016, 04:21 PM
40p for a kid to get into the east terracing when I started going in 1977, that's when I couldn't get a lift over the wall of course.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 04:25 PM
40p for a kid to get into the east terracing when I started going in 1977, that's when I couldn't get a lift over the wall of course.

£2.24 in 2016 prices :aok:

JeMeSouviens
22-03-2016, 04:25 PM

I seem to remember it being £4 for kids and £7 for adults to get onto the East Terracing.

It ramped up really quickly around that time. They were basically chucking on a £1 or 2 every year.

HibbyAndy
22-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Yep, Bang on :agree:

killie-hibby
22-03-2016, 04:40 PM

In the late 50s it cost me the same to get into Easter Road as it was for the Central,Regal and Hayweights cinemas in Musselburgh. The average cost of a cinema ticket in Kilmarnock is now £8 Football nowadays is a rip off.

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2016, 04:48 PM

The Kop is £39-£48 depending on the category of the game, Cat A games are £48, Cat C are £39

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 05:02 PM
The Kop is £39-£48 depending on the category of the game, Cat A games are £48, Cat C are £39

Almost fifty quid a go. You have to wonder how many of the folk living in those wee terraced houses around Anfield can afford that! The EPL is global, but the lifeblood of a club is its surrounding community.

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Almost fifty quid a go. You have to wonder how many of the folk living in those wee terraced houses around Anfield can afford that! The EPL is global, but the lifeblood of a club is its surrounding community.

Folk always seem to find the money to go, many of those terraced houses have been demolished over the years as the stadium has expanded, many others are derelict in an area that is severely run down. One look at the amount of coaches parked that have brought in the "home" support tells you just how many come from afar. Many of my friends when we compare prices of ST etc think we are cheap rather than them being expensive, they just see the price of football as being part of their normal outgoings.

GreenOnions
22-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Aye, so admission on The Kop has increased at roughly TEN TIMES the rate of inflation since 1972 :soapbox:. The working man and woman paying through the nose so footballers can be paid £100,000 per week or more.

To get a proper comparison you'd have to take into account the real terms increase in average incomes over the same period so while the price inflation is as you say the cost relative to incomes will not have increased to quite the same extent.

Having said that - it's still a significant increase and it is changing football - for the worse IMHO.

GreenLake
22-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Football tickets are cheap compared to basketball, throwball or rounders.

ben johnson
22-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Bus in from West Lothian. Hibs boys gate. Programme. Bus back home. £1 all in. Good old early seventies. And one hell of team to save your dinner money up to watch.

eastterrace
22-03-2016, 06:04 PM
If I remember rightly(!)my uncle took me to the upper West in 1965/6 to see Hibs v Falkirk. Neil Martin was good. Was it about 6 shillings? Subsequently at the boys gate if you couldn't get a lift over it was 2 bob or so.:confused: Someone please correct me.I cannot be the oldest Hibby in town without total brain fade. my dad took me to see hearts v rangers back in 1964 season and it was 1 shilling for me aged 10 to get in , I remember this cause all other games except the bigger ones charged 6d ( a tanner ) to get in. Don't know what cost my dad tho

Lago
22-03-2016, 06:11 PM
To us, Hibs fans, the ticket prices in the EPL seem outrageous, however the grounds are routinely sold out, and as long as that continues there will be no pressure on the clubs to freeze or reduce prices, the one concession being the away support pricing rule. The situation in Scotland totally different, the product even at the top level is mediocre hence half empty grounds and fans slowly drifting away from the Scottish game.

bournehibby
22-03-2016, 06:35 PM
my dad took me to see hearts v rangers back in 1964 season and it was 1 shilling for me aged 10 to get in , I remember this cause all other games except the bigger ones charged 6d ( a tanner ) to get in. Don't know what cost my dad tho

Pretty sure when I first started going to ER, (62/63) it was 1/6d each way on the bus, 3d for the matchday programme, and 1/6 to get into the east - 3d change out of five bob :thumbsup:

bh

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Pretty sure when I first started going to ER, (62/63) it was 1/6d each way on the bus, 3d for the matchday programme, and 1/6 to get into the east - 3d change out of five bob :thumbsup:

bh

So match admission was the same price as your bus fare! How times have changed!

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 06:47 PM
I first started going regularly in 79-80. It cost £1.10 for adults and 55p for kids.

That is the equivalent of about £5.50 for adults now.

Kavinho
22-03-2016, 06:48 PM
£22 to watch Hibs in the second tier, when the stadium is half empty. Times are hard for a lot of families and many find themselves priced out of attending. Something needs to be done address this, as the EPL might be looking at £100 per game average within a couple of decades, and what happens then?

Reckon I could all but guarantee it'll be 100 quid tickets well inside a couple of decades...
And itll keep keep going up. The nature of capitalism and "free" markets..

Without protectionism, there is absolutely no doubt the average person will get stiffed

sleeping giant
22-03-2016, 06:56 PM
50p to get into Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
1981. The Program was 25p.

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 06:59 PM
50p to get into Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
1981. The Program was 25p.

I was at that game as well. Wasn't George Best playing for the opposition?

norwayhibs
22-03-2016, 07:22 PM
I know a lot of Liverpool fans here in Norway who go over fairly regularly, the going rate for a ticket for these guys is around £150. Think I read somewhere that at every home game for Liverpool there is at least 2000+ Norwegians.

sleeping giant
22-03-2016, 07:32 PM
I was at that game as well. Wasn't George Best playing for the opposition?

Think he played for both teams. I might be wrong though.
My Dad still lifted me and 3 cousins over even though it was only 50p.

wookie70
22-03-2016, 07:34 PM
A wee article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027320/Football-matchday-ticket-prices-soar-1-000-2-decades.html) detailing the more recent rises. Taking kids to the football is hugely expensive these days. The £25 season in the East is really fantastic value I only wish that Hibs would extend it to other parts of the ground.

HappyAsHellas
22-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Mid sixties it was a tanner (6d = 2.5p) to get in. As I only got a tanner a week pocket money getting a lift over was essential. Got a job at Easter Rd in about 1970/71 selling macaroon bars, juice and chewing gum round the track during the game. We weren't allowed to rest the tray on the wall if the OF were in town. Some things never change.

SlickShoes
22-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Football tickets are cheap compared to basketball, throwball or rounders.

Baseball is on almost every day and has ticket prices for everyone, most teams have days when one section of the stadium is like $5 to get in.

I know lots of people don't like baseball but for folk that do they get 3 hours of baseball for the price of entry. The cheap seats for most teams start at $15.

Sure you can pay $200 to sit behind home plate but that not something the every day fan is going to do for most games.

Jonnyboy
22-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Mid sixties it was a tanner (6d = 2.5p) to get in. As I only got a tanner a week pocket money getting a lift over was essential. Got a job at Easter Rd in about 1970/71 selling macaroon bars, juice and chewing gum round the track during the game. We weren't allowed to rest the tray on the wall if the OF were in town. Some things never change.

Surely they were only interested in the Kiaora? :greengrin

haagsehibby
22-03-2016, 08:32 PM
A mate of mine is a Huddersfield Town fan. He was telling me that next year's adult season ticket is £179 for all areas of the stadium. Not bad for the Championship.

Stax
22-03-2016, 09:32 PM
40/50p late 70's is the price I remember, but as a youngster at the time this was avoided at all costs :greengrin Motherwell away about 7 years ago gave me a wee bit of nostalgia / restored my faith when an auld boy working on the turnstile told me to "lift the wain ower" The Rangers paying 13m for Tore Andre Flo back in the day? Mental. For a brief period when England were banned from Europe and the Souness project was in full flow was when the silliness began. The posts quoting inflation and relative pricing are eye watering, definatley a lot harder for the working man and woman to afford.

bournehibby
22-03-2016, 09:52 PM

You sure it was only 6d HAH ? :confused: If that's the case, I demand a retrospective refund :grr: Petrie !

bh

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 10:24 PM
A mate of mine is a Huddersfield Town fan. He was telling me that next year's adult season ticket is £179 for all areas of the stadium. Not bad for the Championship.

That's great value, especially when you consider we're paying £400 for the Scottish Championship!

MKHIBEE
22-03-2016, 10:39 PM

Isnt category pricing behind done away with next season with all matches being priced the same? Sure I read that somewhere after the revolt over ticket prices being racked up

HH81
23-03-2016, 05:51 AM

The limit set for this was 10,000 but after 4 days 11,000 were sold. Now been extended to 15,000 .

I think Huddersfield usually sell 8000 season tickets or so.

HH81
23-03-2016, 05:53 AM
That's great value, especially when you consider we're paying £400 for the Scottish Championship!

An extra 2 million for tv deal so they are using a million of it to help fill the ground and reduce prices.

hibbybob
23-03-2016, 08:07 AM
During the Kenny Waugh era Hibs offered a 5 year season ticket deal.
You paid the then current price of £40 x 4 and the fifth year was free.
Cost me £160 for 5 years - that was in the old enclosure below the main stand.

Hibrandenburg
23-03-2016, 08:29 AM
A season ticket for the fan block for Hertha Berlin in the Olympia Stadium is €188 this year. Still doesn't make up for having to watch a team wearing red, white and blue though.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2016, 10:05 AM
The premiership clubs have lowered the prices for all away fans next season so no away fan will pay more than £25.
They could let all away fans in for free and would still not lose out due to the increased tv revenue they will receive from next season. Remarkable eh.

Nutmegged
23-03-2016, 10:08 AM
To us, Hibs fans, the ticket prices in the EPL seem outrageous, however the grounds are routinely sold out, and as long as that continues there will be no pressure on the clubs to freeze or reduce prices, the one concession being the away support pricing rule. The situation in Scotland totally different, the product even at the top level is mediocre hence half empty grounds and fans slowly drifting away from the Scottish game.

I hate seeing people be so blazè about "half empty grounds" in Scotland, the problem with this is grounds were built which far exceeded the support many clubs could muster, Rugby Park should've been no greater than 10k, same with Fir Park and even McDiarmid Park didn't need to exceed 8k but the rush from the Taylor report combined with the ridoculous SPL 10k minimal entry rule meant many clubs grounds weren't built for the needs of specific clubs

Tom Hart RIP
23-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Are you sure? I found an old ticket to the semi against rangers at Hampden and I'm almost certain it cost £1.50 for the west terracing ????

Tom Hart RIP
23-03-2016, 10:31 AM

My mistake. It cost £6 for the semi. No idea why I thought it was £1.50.

_hucks_
23-03-2016, 10:32 AM
I know a lot of Liverpool fans here in Norway who go over fairly regularly, the going rate for a ticket for these guys is around £150. Think I read somewhere that at every home game for Liverpool there is at least 2000+ Norwegians.

As a bit of contrast, I live in Liverpool and hardly any of the folks I know go to more than a match every season or two. People grow up priced out of the game and never form the habit of going - watching on the telly becomes the norm. It's a shame as you lose so much of how the game works following the TV pictures, and so much of the culture of the terraces by watching in the pub or at home.

Geo_1875
23-03-2016, 11:06 AM
West Ham STs for next season start at £289 for an adult compared to £600 for this season. Their Cat A games this season are between £60 and £95 per game. They'll have 20k extra on gates but reduced income from away fans. Just shows how important the TV money is and how we are losing out big time.

erin go bragh
23-03-2016, 11:15 AM
A wee article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027320/Football-matchday-ticket-prices-soar-1-000-2-decades.html) detailing the more recent rises. Taking kids to the football is hugely expensive these days. The £25 season in the East is really fantastic value I only wish that Hibs would extend it to other parts of the ground.
The £25 kids is in the FF lower . Agree it should be available in all stands .

GGTTH

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2016, 01:39 PM
The premiership clubs have lowered the prices for all away fans next season so no away fan will pay more than £25.
They could let all away fans in for free and would still not lose out due to the increased tv revenue they will receive from next season. Remarkable eh.

I didn't know about this. It's a good move; away fans of the bigger clubs often find themselves paying over £50 at the moment.

The FF kids season ticket for kids is a superb initiative and an example of forward thinking.

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2016, 01:41 PM
West Ham STs for next season start at £289 for an adult compared to £600 for this season. Their Cat A games this season are between £60 and £95 per game. They'll have 20k extra on gates but reduced income from away fans. Just shows how important the TV money is and how we are losing out big time.

Are west Ham expecting gates of around 55,000 when they move to the Olympic Stadium?

Alfred E Newman
23-03-2016, 01:48 PM
If I remember rightly(!)my uncle took me to the upper West in 1965/6 to see Hibs v Falkirk.
Neil Martin was good.
Was it about 6 shillings?
Subsequently at the boys gate if you couldn't get a lift over it was 2 bob or so.:confused:

Someone please correct me.I cannot be the oldest Hibby in town without total brain fade.
Up until prices rocketed 25 years or so ago the price of admission was always roughly the same as a pint or a packet of fags.

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2016, 02:04 PM
During the Kenny Waugh era Hibs offered a 5 year season ticket deal.
You paid the then current price of £40 x 4 and the fifth year was free.
Cost me £160 for 5 years - that was in the old enclosure below the main stand.

Now that's a bargain! Don't Bradford City currently have a ten year ticket?

Geo_1875
23-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Are west Ham expecting gates of around 55,000 when they move to the Olympic Stadium?

Pretty much for most games. They've got a huge campaign going to get STs sold.

They are also looking to put another 5,000 seats in.

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/March/9-March/A-message-from-the-Board

Though how they'll manage that I don't know.

Smartie
23-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Pretty much for most games. They've got a huge campaign going to get STs sold.

They are also looking to put another 5,000 seats in.

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/March/9-March/A-message-from-the-Board

Though how they'll manage that I don't know.

Any idea what Leyton Orient are doing re season tickets and prices for next year?

I know that they weren't happy when they heard that West Ham would be pitching up on their doorstep with spare capacity, looking for people to fill seats.

Are West Ham or the English football authorities going to compensate them in any way?

I can see why they'd be annoyed in view of what you've mentioned above.

Geo_1875
23-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Any idea what Leyton Orient are doing re season tickets and prices for next year?

I know that they weren't happy when they heard that West Ham would be pitching up on their doorstep with spare capacity, looking for people to fill seats.

Are West Ham or the English football authorities going to compensate them in any way?

I can see why they'd be annoyed in view of what you've mentioned above.

I don't see why. You couldn't pay me to watch another Scottish team. I know you might get kids going along but that's just bad parenting.

Smartie
23-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I don't see why. You couldn't pay me to watch another Scottish team. I know you might get kids going along but that's just bad parenting.

They won't be poaching people who are already Orient fans but they are a huge predatory club who will now be hoovering up more of the "potential" Orient fans or fans of the future, seduced by the lure of reasonable offers on watching Premiership football.

A different product I suppose but it is a huge competitor landing on their doorstep.

Geo_1875
23-03-2016, 03:11 PM
They won't be poaching people who are already Orient fans but they are a huge predatory club who will now be hoovering up more of the "potential" Orient fans or fans of the future, seduced by the lure of reasonable offers on watching Premiership football.

A different product I suppose but it is a huge competitor landing on their doorstep.

If they were moving miles into someone else's territory I'd see the argument but they're moving a 20 minute walk along the road and still a couple of kilometres from Orient. You can guarantee Orient will have lost more potential fans to Chelsea, Arsenal and the Manchester teams than they will to West Ham.

Bishop Hibee
23-03-2016, 03:12 PM
As I've posted on here before, my first ST for ER was season 1986/87 and cost £50 for the East Terracing. We sold 1200 season tickets for ER that season. That would be £126.86 if it rose by inflation only. The working peoples game?

Smartie
23-03-2016, 03:21 PM
If they were moving miles into someone else's territory I'd see the argument but they're moving a 20 minute walk along the road and still a couple of kilometres from Orient. You can guarantee Orient will have lost more potential fans to Chelsea, Arsenal and the Manchester teams than they will to West Ham.

TBH I've never really looked at the exact geography so I don't really know the specifics - I just knew that Orient kicked up a fuss when the move was first suggested. What you say sounds reasonable to me.

I have a soft spot for the Hammers (my flatmate at Uni supported them and I've been to a good few games with him when they've played in the North-East) but I've only ever been down to see them play at home once.

I loved the Boleyn Ground and see the move as a fairly sad sign of the times.

With what you've mentioned I can see why they're doing it though.