PDA

View Full Version : Hampden seating arrangements - East and West stands

Diclonius
22-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I've noticed Dundee United have been allocated tickets initially starting in the West - why are Hibs always given the East Stand at Hampden? In the last ten years, the only time I remember us not getting it was when we played Celtic in the 2013 final.

Do we specifically request it, or is this subtle inclination from the SFA that we "should" get Celtic's traditional end of the ground? :rolleyes:

Tapes99
22-03-2016, 01:11 PM
I've noticed Dundee United have been allocated tickets initially starting in the West - why are Hibs always given the East Stand at Hampden? In the last ten years, the only time I remember us not getting it was when we played Celtic in the 2013 final.

Do we specifically request it, or is this subtle inclination from the SFA that we "should" get Celtic's traditional end of the ground? :rolleyes:

We're treated as wee Celtic unless we play them. It stops the police in Glasgow from getting too confused.

Beware of expensive imitations!

Hiber-nation
22-03-2016, 01:36 PM

We got the West when we played the Arabs in the 2005 semi. The East is nearest Edinburgh and we're a bigger club than them so it's fine by me.

CallumHibs07
22-03-2016, 01:44 PM
why would anyone care which end we get?

monarch
22-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Like it or not we're perceived by the Establishment/ SFA/ Police Glasgow/Scotland as ra Sellick's wee cousin. Sectarian thinking isn't just limited to the underclasses.
Only in Scotland :rolleyes:

hibee_nation
22-03-2016, 02:06 PM
West end better for pubs but early kick off knocks that into touch anyway

22-03-2016, 02:15 PM
is it gonna be a 50/50 split yea?

Diclonius
22-03-2016, 02:23 PM
is it gonna be a 50/50 split yea?

I suspect ticket demand will decide that. We won't fill more than half the ground for this one.

.Sean.
22-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Where we not in the West last semi v Dundee United???

Onceinawhile
22-03-2016, 02:44 PM
I suspect ticket demand will decide that. We won't fill more than half the ground for this one.

Both teams combined will struggle to sell 26,000 I reckon.

Billy Whizz
22-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Where we not in the West last semi v Dundee United???

We were, but I think the construction of M74 around Glasgow makes it better for Hibs fans to come in that way. The united fans will come down the M80 and into the M8.

Pete
22-03-2016, 03:52 PM
All these decisions based on location go out the window when the two Glasgow clubs are involved. Why are hearts and hibs always in the west when celtic are the opposition?

It's not really a big deal, it's just evidence of the special relationship between the footballing authorities and two specific clubs. Are there any other countries in the world where teams have their "own end" at a neutral venue?

JimBHibees
22-03-2016, 04:09 PM
All these decisions based on location go out the window when the two Glasgow clubs are involved. Why are hearts and hibs always in the west when celtic are the opposition?

It's not really a big deal, it's just evidence of the special relationship between the footballing authorities and two specific clubs. Are there any other countries in the world where teams have their "own end" at a neutral venue?

Agree totally absolute nonsense. The reason they have special ends is because miraculously they avoided each other for about 50 years or so in semi finals the chances of which are akin to me winning the Euro millions or Hibs winning the Scottish cup. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Like it or not we're perceived by the Establishment/ SFA/ Police Glasgow/Scotland as ra Sellick's wee cousin. Sectarian thinking isn't just limited to the underclasses.
Only in Scotland :rolleyes:

Which is inaccurate in our case, though Hearts are mini Huns, so their presumption is accurate there :greengrin

Vini1875
22-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Does it really matter v DUFC? I think there will be no segration on the walk to the ground and would expect no trouble at all. In fact the most likely cause of bother at Hampden is from Hibs fans on other Hibs fans. Coming in from the west is best for me and I expect that is the way I'll be going.

lyonhibs
22-03-2016, 04:54 PM
There's oddly a good (or at least interesting) reason for the historic "ends" at Hampden.

Seemingly back in the day when it was being upgraded, the SFA asked the OF if they wanted to contribute to the costs as they were there the most I guess.

RFC ponied up whereas the CFC biscuit tin was shut. So Rangers fans always got the covered end whilst Celtic didn't.

Could be an urban myth, and a tad irrelevant these days but still.

Pete
22-03-2016, 05:46 PM
There's oddly a good (or at least interesting) reason for the historic "ends" at Hampden.

Seemingly back in the day when it was being upgraded, the SFA asked the OF if they wanted to contribute to the costs as they were there the most I guess.

RFC ponied up whereas the CFC biscuit tin was shut. So Rangers fans always got the covered end whilst Celtic didn't.

Interesting. I always thought that the ends were given due to Ibrox being to the west and Celtic park to the east of hampden. When they were upgrading they wanted it to look like Wembley so they made it level at the top and concreted the steps in preparation. The roof on the terrace was to be done in stages so the rangers end was done first because celtic are fenian *******s and they can just wait in the rain for their upgrade.

Probably another myth but from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Nicho87
22-03-2016, 06:46 PM
I think the game will do well to hit over 20k fans personally crap performances recently, on tv, early kick off and its at hampden

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2016, 07:20 PM
I think the game will do well to hit over 20k fans personally crap performances recently, on tv, early kick off and its at hampden

Ach nae worries, the best semi final Hibs support I was ever part of was the 7000 the night we beat the Huns on pens at Hampden. The good thing is semi final turn outs are one thing the Yams can never use as a stick to beat us with, they canny even shift 14,000 for semis at Easter Road, never mind Hampden.

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 07:31 PM
When Hibs play Hearts, we get the East Stand and they get the West, because in the minds of the SFA, we're the equivalent of Celtc and Rangurs.

We are almost always allocated the East Stand, as Celtc's wee cousins from the East, unless Celtc are playing, in which case they get it instead.

There have only been two exceptions to that I'm aware of: one when we played Dundee Utd (Dundee Hibs?) and the other against Livi (run at the time by an ex Celtc Chairman and funded by a Celtc supporting lottery holder).

Paranoid? Moi?

:wink:

doddsy
22-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I really hate hampden with a passion. Just a horrible stadium. Can't get parked near the ground in a car now. Lack of decent ameneties nearby. I hate hampden and where it is situated. I attend to watch the hi bees but just hate the stadium and place. Wish a new one would be built near maybe harthill or livingston maybe.:confused:

Kavinho
22-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Surely this is as close to a pointless moan thread as there is?
:confused::confused:

Im sure some will find it interesting, or something to point to as evidence of sectarianism/favoritism/GFA/Weegie-love or some other ism..

Doesnt matter a damn.
Itll still be nigh on impossible getting away after the game!

(Yes, irony intended)

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Surely this is as close to a pointless moan thread as there is?
:confused::confused:

Im sure some will find it interesting, or something to point to as evidence of sectarianism/favoritism/GFA/Weegie-love or some other ism..

Doesnt matter a damn.
Itll still be nigh on impossible getting away after the game!

(Yes, irony intended)

Ah come on, it's a bit of light relief among the misery

:greengrin

Kavinho
22-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Ah come on, it's a bit of light relief among the misery

Yeah Im not well known for my jokes hitting the mark!!

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Yeah Im not well known for my jokes hitting the mark!!

Ah, that was a joke, I seeeeeeee...........

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2016, 08:12 PM
I really hate hampden with a passion. Just a horrible stadium. Can't get parked near the ground in a car now. Lack of decent ameneties nearby. I hate hampden and where it is situated. I attend to watch the hi bees but just hate the stadium and place. Wish a new one would be built near maybe harthill or livingston maybe.:confused:

Jeez, if you think Hampden is depressing, just think of getting humped in Harthill............

Keith_M
22-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Jeez, if you think Hampden is depressing, just think of getting humped in Harthill............

Actually, put like that, it doesn't sound too bad.

doddsy
22-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Actually, put like that, it doesn't sound too bad.

:wink:

doddsy
22-03-2016, 08:44 PM

You seen the prices of they sarnies or drinks at Harthill, been humped there manies a time before.:thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Ach nae worries, the best semi final Hibs support I was ever part of was the 7000 the night we beat the Huns on pens at Hampden. The good thing is semi final turn outs are one thing the Yams can never use as a stick to beat us with, they canny even shift 14,000 for semis at Easter Road, never mind Hampden.2nd half of the 4-3 Falkirk game was great as well, all the doughnuts left at half time.

Brooster
22-03-2016, 09:26 PM
We are always in the West unless we are in the East or when we are in both or neither. Who actually cares? We should thank our lucky stars that we get as far as semis and finals....in the not too distant past we hardly ever got to Hampden. One other thing....are the Daytrippers really being put off by TV, kick off time and the fact that its Hampden? Shame.

doddsy
22-03-2016, 09:56 PM
We are always in the West unless we are in the East or when we are in both or neither. Who actually cares? We should thank our lucky stars that we get as far as semis and finals....in the not too distant past we hardly ever got to Hampden. One other thing....are the Daytrippers really being put off by TV, kick off time and the fact that its Hampden? Shame.

Was'nt saying I'm not going because it's at Hampden, just saying how much I hate it. It's in my opinion not fit to be called a national stadium. It should have been knocked down with new modern one years ago. I've been there many a time. I particularly remember the three trips I made with my Dad to the SC Final in 1979, should have had a penalty in the last minute of the first one when Colin Cambell was hacked down just inside the box. It think it was either Mginley or more likely Bob Valentine who dismissed it biased barstewards. Then Arthur Duncan scored one of the best flying diving headers I've seen into the wrong net unfortunately 'bless him' in the second replay. Does'nt mean I'm not going.

doddsy
22-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Was'nt saying I'm not going because it's at Hampden, just saying how much I hate it. It's in my opinion not fit to be called a national stadium. It should have been knocked down with new modern one years ago. I've been there many a time. I particularly remember the three trips I made with my Dad to the SC Final in 1979, should have had a penalty in the last minute of the first one when Colin Cambell was hacked down just inside the box. It think it was either Mginley or more likely Bob Valentine who dismissed it biased barstewards. Then Arthur Duncan scored one of the best flying diving headers I've seen into the wrong net unfortunately 'bless him' in the second replay. Does'nt mean I'm not going.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2016, 12:26 AM

I forgot about that - someone told me that years ago. No idea if it's true.

Greenworld
23-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm amazed how many say they are going to go.
However I agree with other posters 20k would be good.
Personally I would play development team I'm more bothered about league business

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DH1875
23-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Good thing about the east is you can go out the back for a smoke so you don't need to be sharing the toilets at halftime.

StevieC
23-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Agreed. The stadium is a national disgrace.
IMO you only get a decent view of the game in less that half of the seats in the stadium.

.Sean.
23-03-2016, 09:21 AM
I'm amazed how many say they are going to go.
However I agree with other posters 20k would be good.
Personally I would play development team I'm more bothered about league business

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
:faf::faf::faf::faf:

'Play the development team' :rolleyes:

Moulin Yarns
23-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Agreed. The stadium is a national disgrace.
IMO you only get a decent view of the game in less that half of the seats in the stadium.

Here is a good take on the redevelopment of Hampden

http://celticunderground.net/the-bhoy-in-the-picture-hampden-memories/

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Here is a good take on the redevelopment of Hampden

http://celticunderground.net/the-bhoy-in-the-picture-hampden-memories/

Pretty well hits the nail on the head.

The SFA's lease on the ground expires in 4 years time and its high time they started to seriously investigate other options. Huge football nations like Italy, Spain and Germany do not have designated stadiums where the national team plays all its fixtures. If Aberdeen get the finger out with a new stadium the East coast will have two 20,000 capacity UEFA compliant ( which bumps the PBS ) grounds where Scotland can play less attractive internationals and Ibrox and Celtic park for big games. The Scottish and League cup finals can be played at Murrayfield.

However .... Hampden has been chosen to host at least 4 games in the 2020 Euros and what better time to try and squeeze the UK and Scottish governments for some cash to tart the bloody place up. You wouldn't even be looking at building a new stadium .... build a mirror image of the current south stand to replace the north and two new end stands to get rid of the bowl shape ..... join the whole lot up and Bobs yer uncle ... 60,000 capacity will be more than enough.

Looking at it you would probably have to chop a bit off the ends of the current south stand to fit in the new end stands, but hey ho I'm sure its easily doable.