PDA

View Full Version : Scotland games: Yeh or meh

G B Young
21-03-2016, 11:14 AM
While I'm hoping that the enforced break due to the Scotland games will rekindle our players' confidence and energy levels, the fact I had to ask why we weren't playing next weekend shows how far removed I've become from the Scotland international side.

As someone who used to get along to a fair number of games at both Hampden and abroad, I long ago lost interest in following Scotland. Back in my day, the frustration used to be that Scotland never managed to progress beyond the group stages of major tournaments but for nearly 20 years now the problem is we don't even come close to qualifying for the tournament at all! I guess the frustration of following Hibs became enough for me to deal with, without saddling myself with the even more frustrating business of following Scotland! I'd also have to say the whole 'Tartan Army' baggage that goes with following Scotland started to seem tiresome and jaded.

Over the years, I've had numerous conversations with fellow Hibs fans on this issue and discovered quite a cross section of opinion, so here's a poll to see what sort of relationship those on hibs.net have with the Scotland team.

jarre1875
21-03-2016, 11:16 AM
We arent playing cause of our call ups. McGinn n Stokes to their full squads and JC N LH to the scotland u21s .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
21-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Not missed a home game since the 2-0 win against Croatia in 2013 and will be there next Tuesday.

Anyone know if the membership is worth getting this time round?

SJM
21-03-2016, 11:34 AM
We arent playing cause of our call ups. McGinn n Stokes to their full squads and JC N LH to the scotland u21s .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stokes isn't in the Ireland squad.

Lago
21-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Bore fest:wink:

WeeRussell
21-03-2016, 11:45 AM
The most important thing to me in sport and the best atmosphere I've ever experienced.

As with most of my sporting teams - the atmosphere is where the quality tends to end :rolleyes:

SeanWilson
21-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I do try to follow Scotlannd where i can, however must admit that i cannot stand international weekends and despise stupid international friendlies. The current couple of games just seem daft to me, especially given the selection.

Hermit Crab
21-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Option number 2 for me. Just a pain in the erse and get in the way.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Not too fussy about the home games, away trips tend to be more enjoyable.

Diclonius
21-03-2016, 12:11 PM
As someone who has grown up with almost every Scotland campaign ending in a "aw hard luck eh lads, got beat 2-0 by Armenia but at least we almost beat the world champions and nearly qualified, best fans in the world, glorious failure!!!", I'm pretty apathetic towards the national team. That can of course change if we actually qualify for something, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

scoopyboy
21-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I don't like international breaks but in this instance I'm glad.

Glad there isn't a Hibs game until 2nd April as I need a break and couldn't face a Hibs game just now, however come St.Mirren away I will be rarin to go.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm going to the under 21's game v N. Ireland a week on Tuesday, 4pm ko, and the Scotland v Denmark game later that night

Hibernia&Alba
21-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Not really bothered about the national side, to be honest, though perhaps that's because we haven't had a good side in decades, meaning there isn't much to get excited about. If we qualified for a tournament, I'm sure I'd get excited about it.

easty
21-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I always want Scotland to win, at everything, but rarely does it interest me enough to actually watch.

I went to Iceland for the game back in 2001, and it was a brilliant weekend away, we won but the game was probably the least fun part of the whole time there!

If we're playing in a World Cup or Euro Championship (never happens mind) then I'd be engrossed in it. In the qualifiers I'll make a point of watching the games. Pointless friendlies, though? I still want us to win, but I'll probably no bother watching it.

Craig_in_Prague
21-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Going to the away game on Thursday.

I mean, it's a long 7 mins metro ride away :)

Phil MaGlass
21-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Wheres the, I used to support Hibs, but now follow Scotland choice?

:greengrin

I used to follow Scotland until that twat Levein ruined us, then found it difficult to get back into it. Away Scotland games were brilliant, away with mates for a few days, good laugh, blether, see the sights, couldnae beat it. Now watch the Scotland games on the telly. F,n levein.

Geo_1875
21-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Not really bothered about the national side, to be honest, though perhaps that's because we haven't had a good side in decades, meaning there isn't much to get excited about. If we qualified for a tournament, I'm sure I'd get excited about it.

Same here. Haven't had a serious interest in Scotland since about 1990 when I stopped going to the games. Even when we've qualified for tournaments you know we're not going very far.

Bronson
21-03-2016, 03:55 PM
International break is a weekend-spoiler, a total inconvenience for me.

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 04:09 PM
The break has come at exactly the right time this time round. Oh and I'm heading to Prague for a good bevvy with my pals and hopefully a decent game against a good side.

marinello59
21-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I used to go o very home Scotland game Bsck in the days we were drunken hooligans rather than cuddly members of the Tartan Army.:
I have very little interest in international football now Others do though and I know they have a great time following the national team. Good on them, this is an entertainment industry after all.

Golden Bear
21-03-2016, 04:24 PM
The "I follow Scotland but Hibs come first" option should not be in blankety blank maroon so the poll should be declared null and void!

:furious:

:wink:

paddy1875
21-03-2016, 04:25 PM
I cannot stand international breaks, although this one has come at a good time.

The only team in fussed about is Hibernian. I'll watch Scotland on the telly but just can't seem to get into it. Most of our players aren't even really scottish.

Smartie
21-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I've had the membership for the past 10 years or so but can't see me renewing.

Has this even been announced yet, it normally has by this point has it not?

Anyway, like practically all forms of football it has been destroyed by tv. I can't justify the time off work to properly "enjoy" football games these days. Games might be Thursday night, Monday night, any night really other than a Saturday afternoon.

Looking at our April fixtures I'm not convinced I'll even renew my season ticket at Easter Road next year.

I'm getting to that age and stage that I have other priorities and getting the utter piss taken out of me by football authorities doesn't figure highly on it any more.

Shame, because I really miss it and enjoyed it in the past, even if the results weren't always great. I always liked going to games and getting pished with different folk who supported different club sides. Some of my fondest memories involve Scotland away trips.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Couldn't care less about the national team really, been a mismanaged shambles from the bottom up for years.

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 05:29 PM
I've had the membership for the past 10 years or so but can't see me renewing.

Has this even been announced yet, it normally has by this point has it not?

Anyway, like practically all forms of football it has been destroyed by tv. I can't justify the time off work to properly "enjoy" football games these days. Games might be Thursday night, Monday night, any night really other than a Saturday afternoon.

Looking at our April fixtures I'm not convinced I'll even renew my season ticket at Easter Road next year.

I'm getting to that age and stage that I have other priorities and getting the utter piss taken out of me by football authorities doesn't figure highly on it any more.

Shame, because I really miss it and enjoyed it in the past, even if the results weren't always great. I always liked going to games and getting pished with different folk who supported different club sides. Some of my fondest memories involve Scotland away trips.

SSC renewals have been open for months.

Pete
21-03-2016, 05:35 PM
I'll maybe watch the competitive matches on the TV but couldn't care less about the friendlies.

Qualifying for an effing tournament might help.

Smartie
21-03-2016, 05:42 PM
SSC renewals have been open for months.

Well there you go.

None of my mates have even asked me the question and I've not opened any of the e-mails I get from the Scotland supporters club.

I reckon drawing England spared them a big hit this time as I think I'm far from alone in losing interest. A lot of people will renew solely to secure a ticket for the England game(s).

If it wasn't for that I could see Scotland going back to playing in front of about 12,000 souls (as it was the first time I went to see them play).

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Well there you go.

None of my mates have even asked me the question and I've not opened any of the e-mails I get from the Scotland supporters club.

I reckon drawing England spared them a big hit this time as I think I'm far from alone in losing interest. A lot of people will renew solely to secure a ticket for the England game(s).

If it wasn't for that I could see Scotland going back to playing in front of about 12,000 souls (as it was the first time I went to see them play).

I'm not sure what your point is. Is it 'well there you go, I've lost interest so much I haven't even bothered to open the e-mails about SSC renewals'?

All my crowd, which numbers a good few dozen, have renewed and looking forward to another, possibly even harder to qualify from, campaign. The work for WGS and the team starts on Thursday, the fun for us starts the day before.

I agree re the England games to an extent. Most regulars would rather not play England but those games seem to capture the imagination of the wider football audience. This was certainly the case last time we played them at Hampden. At least this time the games are qualifiers.

Dashing Bob S
21-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Been the best bloody cure for insomnia for 30 years now.

Fascinating to see team sheet after team sheet full of pub players nobody has heard off.

Bostonhibby
21-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Used to enjoy a few away trips and tuned into games on the TV all the time - the Potter era killed it dead for me and I haven't really been bothered since, sadly.

G B Young
21-03-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure what your point is. Is it 'well there you go, I've lost interest so much I haven't even bothered to open the e-mails about SSC renewals'?

All my crowd, which numbers a good few dozen, have renewed and looking forward to another, possibly even harder to qualify from, campaign. The work for WGS and the team starts on Thursday, the fun for us starts the day before.

I agree re the England games to an extent. Most regulars would rather not play England but those games seem to capture the imagination of the wider football audience. This was certainly the case last time we played them at Hampden. At least this time the games are qualifiers.

Are you implying there that it's really become more about the fun than the football itself? ie Do Scotland really represent little more than an excuse to travel with your mates for a few days' drinking? Because for me that's the impression I'd started to get when I still went to Scotland games...that the result didn't REALLY matter any more. If so, I guess it's not surprising given it's so long since Scotland even qualified for the Euros or the World Cup and that many fans who follow them now will never have known the experience of being at a major tournament. And by that token does it really matter whether they qualify? You still get plenty boozy trips during a qualifying campaign even if you miss out on a few more at the tournament itself.

Thecat23
21-03-2016, 06:59 PM
International games have lost their appeal. The Champions League changed it. Many players we wouldn't normally see now play CL football with top teams and it gets covered everywhere now.

I've no interest what's so ever in Scotland now. I'll watch them out of habit or if it's an important game. No interests in friendly games though. Until we start making major tournaments I'm not to fussed about watching Scotland games.

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=G B Young;4628035]Are you implying there that it's really become more about the fun than the football itself? ie Do Scotland really represent little more than an excuse to travel with your mates for a few days' drinking? Because for me that's the impression I'd started to get when I still went to Scotland games...that the result didn't REALLY matter any more. If so, I guess it's not surprising given it's so long since Scotland even qualified for the Euros or the World Cup and that many fans who follow them now will never have known the experience of being at a major tournament. And by that token does it really matter whether they qualify? You still get plenty boozy trips during a qualifying campaign even if you miss out on a few more at the tournament itself.[/QUOTE

I certainly am not implying that.
Results in friendlies like Thursday are hardly the be all and end all but I don't know anyone who regularly attends who isn't there for the football, not in my circles of friends anyway. The trip is great, the bevvy with mates is great, seeing new places around the a World is great but we can all do that without the football (and many Scotlnd fans do as a passion for travel is a common trait). This myth that the TA are only there for the party is pish as far as I'm concerned but there's also nothing wrong with enjoying yourself, win lose or draw. Having said that, there are plenty plumbs that follow Scotland, usually older guys if I'm being honest. But then anyone who was at Hampden for the final will agree that every support has their fair share of tits.

NorthHibees
21-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Been watching Scotland for years and also renewed my membership.

jdships
21-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Somewhat sadly have to agree 100% :bye:

SteveHFC
21-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Been watching Scotland for years and also renewed my membership.

What benefits do you get out of a memebership bud?

Smartie
21-03-2016, 07:27 PM

That's exactly my point. Sorry if it came across as cheeky, dismissive or sarcastic. I've opened enough e-mails about unmissable offers on tickets for women's under 19 internationals on a Tuesday night in Paisley or Dumbarton to pay them any attention any more. The SSC renewal detail will be in there somewhere but I haven't even had the inclination to open them. Cue John McGinn planting one in the top corner on his debut next week and my rushing to sign up an hour or so later……..

TBH there have been times over the past 10 years when I've been more interested in Scotland than Hibs and whilst I've always enjoyed a bevvy around the Scotland games it has always been about the football. The lowest moments as a Scotland fan have been as low as the low points following Hibs. Likewise the moments of hope they give you before those crashes. The mood of the group I go with would most certainly change based on results/ performances.

G B Young
21-03-2016, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=G B Young;4628035]Are you implying there that it's really become more about the fun than the football itself? ie Do Scotland really represent little more than an excuse to travel with your mates for a few days' drinking? Because for me that's the impression I'd started to get when I still went to Scotland games...that the result didn't REALLY matter any more. If so, I guess it's not surprising given it's so long since Scotland even qualified for the Euros or the World Cup and that many fans who follow them now will never have known the experience of being at a major tournament. And by that token does it really matter whether they qualify? You still get plenty boozy trips during a qualifying campaign even if you miss out on a few more at the tournament itself.[/QUOTE

I certainly am not implying that.
Results in friendlies like Thursday are hardly the be all and end all but I don't know anyone who regularly attends who isn't there for the football, not in my circles of friends anyway. The trip is great, the bevvy with mates is great, seeing new places around the a World is great but we can all do that without the football (and many Scotlnd fans do as a passion for travel is a common trait). This myth that the TA are only there for the party is pish as far as I'm concerned but there's also nothing wrong with enjoying yourself, win lose or draw. Having said that, there are plenty plumbs that follow Scotland, usually older guys if I'm being honest. But then anyone who was at Hampden for the final will agree that every support has their fair share of tits.

I'm not meaning to criticise folk like yourself who still go and clearly very much enjoy going, it's just that, as you say, with each year that passed and Scotland continued to play the also-ran role there seemed to be an increasing number who believed that pulling on the Glengarry, the kilt and the Timberland boots instantly transformed them into one of the 'best fans in the world'.

When it comes to the football itself, I don't really understand friendlies like Thursday's given it must be about six months until Scotland play a meaningful game. What can they really hope to learn? Or were they invited to play by the Czech Republic as warm-up opposition for the Euros? (assuming the Czech Republic are at the Euros? I don't actually know).

Smartie
21-03-2016, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=Frazerbob;4628044]

I'm not meaning to criticise folk like yourself who still go and clearly very much enjoy going, it's just that, as you say, with each year that passed and Scotland continued to play the also-ran role there seemed to be an increasing number who believed that pulling on the Glengarry, the kilt and the Timberland boots instantly transformed them into one of the 'best fans in the world'.

When it comes to the football itself, I don't really understand friendlies like Thursday's given it must be about six months until Scotland play a meaningful game. What can they really hope to learn? Or were they invited to play by the Czech Republic as warm-up opposition for the Euros? (assuming the Czech Republic are at the Euros? I don't actually know).

That John McGinn is actually better than Zidane?

fulshie
21-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I love the my club and I love my country. I'll be at the Denmark game and I would like to think that all Scots will be willing Scotland on to victory just like all Hibs supporters will the Hibs on to victory. It really is that simple.

Billy Whizz
21-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I love the my club and I love my country. I'll be at the Denmark game and I would like to think that all Scots will be willing Scotland on to victory just like all Hibs supporters will the Hibs on to victory. It really is that simple.

I agree, if Scotland could get on a roll of results, the fans will return in droves. Just like any team really

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 07:55 PM
That's exactly my point. Sorry if it came across as cheeky, dismissive or sarcastic. I've opened enough e-mails about unmissable offers on tickets for women's under 19 internationals on a Tuesday night in Paisley or Dumbarton to pay them any attention any more. The SSC renewal detail will be in there somewhere but I haven't even had the inclination to open them. Cue John McGinn planting one in the top corner on his debut next week and my rushing to sign up an hour or so later……..

TBH there have been times over the past 10 years when I've been more interested in Scotland than Hibs and whilst I've always enjoyed a bevvy around the Scotland games it has always been about the football. The lowest moments as a Scotland fan have been as low as the low points following Hibs. Likewise the moments of hope they give you before those crashes. The mood of the group I go with would most certainly change based on results/ performances.

Re your first paragraph, that's something that was highlighted by the Association of Tartan Army Clubs and it's now possible to opt out of all e-mails other than those including ticket information. So no more guff about merch sales at Grieves Sports or the ladies games at Tynecastle etc.

Eyrie
21-03-2016, 07:58 PM
I haven't watched a Scotland game in full since they lost 5-0 to Portugal last century. A quick glance at the scoreline in the hope that they won will be the limit of my interest and I'm unlikely to even bother reading a match report.

Other people enjoy following the national team almost as devotedly as they do Hibs, so I hope they have a good time doing so.

Given the choice, I'd rather go to see us play Dumbarton.

SteveHFC
21-03-2016, 08:00 PM
I agree, if Scotland could get on a roll of results, the fans will return in droves. Just like any team really
:aok:

Frazerbob
21-03-2016, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Frazerbob;4628044]

They can see players at close quarters, working with them daily for a week or so. Evaluate their attitude, their ability to handle playing at a higher level, how they will adapt to systems etc. Will they be worthy of a place when the qualifiers start? We have 4 friendlies against 4 excellent sides before the qualifiers. All of which WGS will learn from. Should we go into the qualifiers with no games since Gibraltar in September?

barcahibs
21-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Would rather we withdrew all co-operation for international football, don't see how it benefits Hibs to expose our players to injury for someone else.

Also genuinely can't get my head around how you can watch a team containing hearts, celtic and the rangers players and want them to win.

For that reason when I'm forced to not just ignore the Scottish team I actively want them to lose.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2016, 08:09 PM
I am a bit more interested in the Scottish national team than I was when Levein was in charge but I only really watch Scotland when they're playing competitive matches. Scotland friendlies don't interest me at all.

I hate international weekends when there's no Hibs game to go to.

Hibs Class
21-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Barely missed a home match in the 1980s, but no interest whatsoever now. I'd rather Hibs won the Scottish Cup than Scotland won a major championship.

Speedy
21-03-2016, 08:40 PM
I like it. Not really bothered about friendlies but good to get the ranking points.

The **** kick off times are a bit of a dampener though.

WeeRussell
21-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Would rather we withdrew all co-operation for international football, don't see how it benefits Hibs to expose our players to injury for someone else.

Also genuinely can't get my head around how you can watch a team containing hearts, celtic and the rangers players and want them to win.

For that reason when I'm forced to not just ignore the Scottish team I actively want them to lose.

You genuinely can't get your head around Scottish people wanting Scotland to win :confused:

Smartie
21-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I can't pretend that the referendum hasn't had a bit of an effect either.

My whole view of what "Scotland" actually is has changed.

It's a strange entity that I once had pride in but I now view it as no more than the name of the part of Britain that I live in.

(Without wanting to start another political debate, I'm aware there are other places for that).

Nutmegged
21-03-2016, 09:13 PM
Meh, i can just about handle qualifiers but Friendlies are an absolute crock...I'd not bat an eyelid if International Football was abolished

G B Young
21-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Strachan, while never an especially outstanding club manager, does seem to have lifted the mood among the fans I know who still go to Scotland games, but has he really improved matters? I know we reached a new nadir under Levein (whose seeming rehabilitation as a respected coach at Hearts sums up a guy whose ego is seemingly bullet-proof) but I do wonder if the perceived improvement under Strachan is simply down to the fact he's seen as more Tartan Army-friendly ie popular Scotland player, quick with a one-liner (though for me these have long ago become tiresome) and, of course, a Hibs fan. The cold stats show Scotland still miles off the pace when it comes to qualifying, and for those who bemoan the tough qualifying groups, well, you don't end up in the fourth pot of seeds for nothing. Twenty years of failure will do that to you so it's not as though the draws have been in some way unlucky.

More than anything though, it was when I caught a Strachan interview after the most recent failed campaign that made me question how far Scotland can hope to go under a manager who described seeing so many fans cheering the team to a meaningless win over Gibraltar (surely the worst side yet to be granted an international platform) as one of the greatest moments of his career. The fact that the game fell during the school half term and was played in Portugal seemed to have escaped him as the reason so many used the match as a chance for a holiday knees-up!

G B Young
21-03-2016, 09:45 PM

I've heard Rangers and Celtic fans say similar, but from a Hibs fan that's a new level of 'meh' for me when it comes to opinions on the Scotland team!

Hiber-nation
21-03-2016, 09:57 PM
I'll always support them and watch the games on TV. But Strachan is on a hiding to nothing as the current squad is as poor as I can remember. The feelgood factor of 2 years ago is long gone. Very few of our players are playing regularly at a high level and there's absolutely nothing coming through from the u21s. Fletcher, Morrison & Hutton are the only Premier League players who start regularly, all the Celtc players are off form except Griffiths who isn't really good enough at this level anyway and the rest are in the Championship which looks a really average league these days. We've got decent keepers but that's about it.

Having said that I'm glad of the break this weekend!

Giro Playboy
21-03-2016, 10:04 PM
I used to go to a few Scotland games but the Tartan Army does contain some complete and utter roasters. I remember a ''footsoldier'' walking around Zagreb carrying a toy doll feeding it with a bottle. Everyone thought this was brilliant. I was hoping the Croatian Ultras would kick the **** out of him. Ive seen grown men on their own carrying huge cuddly toys.........aye they are a strange bunch

Giro Playboy
21-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Are you implying there that it's really become more about the fun than the football itself? ie Do Scotland really represent little more than an excuse to travel with your mates for a few days' drinking? Because for me that's the impression I'd started to get when I still went to Scotland games...that the result didn't REALLY matter any more. If so, I guess it's not surprising given it's so long since Scotland even qualified for the Euros or the World Cup and that many fans who follow them now will never have known the experience of being at a major tournament. And by that token does it really matter whether they qualify? You still get plenty boozy trips during a qualifying campaign even if you miss out on a few more at the tournament itself. Some of them are more into the Tartan Army than the actual team. I know guys who go that are not even into football.

doddsy
21-03-2016, 10:19 PM
I loved the Scotland of the 70s. It was a different time then without the nonsence of the now supercillious nature of a section of the Tartan Army. 'How many Campaigns have you been on sort of thing' with the badges and all that carry on. Not everyones like that of course but it's not the same as when I was 'a lad'. Maybe I'm just feeling my age but it certainly was a different atmosphere then.

Still want Scotland to win of course. :flag:

doddsy
21-03-2016, 10:24 PM
I used to go to a few Scotland games but the Tartan Army does contain some complete and utter roasters. I remember a ''footsoldier'' walking around Zagreb carrying a toy doll feeding it with a bottle. Everyone thought this was brilliant. I was hoping the Croatian Ultras would kick the **** out of him. Ive seen grown men on their own carrying huge cuddly toys.........aye they are a strange bunch

You should have given the steamer a slap yourself, cringeworthy to the extreme. What a complete tosser as are the steamers who thought that was brilliant. A footsoldier? cringe.

hibee-boys
21-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Are the games on TV? Wouldn't normally watch a friendly game, half the time I'm not even that fussed for taking time out to watch the qualifiers! I'll probably keep any eye out now that Super John Mcginn has been called up but feel zero connection with the majority of the teams usually made up of premier league reserve team players and championship players I've never heard off! I wouldn't like to see them get beat, even my level of 'meh' doesn't extend that far, I just couldn't care less if they did, friendly or not.

barcahibs
22-03-2016, 07:24 AM
You genuinely can't get your head around Scottish people wanting Scotland to win :confused:

Not if it involves me watching a game of football and wanting someone like Craig Levein or Davie Weir to win it. Actually supporting them and willing them to win gies me the boak.

Any day where players/staff like them come off the pitch with a smile on their face is a bad day at the office as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest I've got absolutely no idea who's in the current Scotland team, but I've no doubt there'll be some hearts or rantic players/staff who I'd happily watch lose a kickabout in the park never mind a competitive game.

Hibrandenburg
22-03-2016, 07:33 AM
I can't remember but are the poll results any different this time from the previous 542 poll on this subject prior to an international break? :dunno:

heidtheba
22-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Couldn't give a monkeys. It isn't the fact that we never qualify that annoys me, it was years of ingrained west coast bias. I remember back in the days when Billy Dodds played for (either St Johnston or Dundee, can't remember which it was at the time) and was banging them in and got no international call up...then he trotts off to Rangers, gets a much better team behind him and suddenly gets selected? Sod that. And then I realised he was a muppet anyway.
Half the 'Scotland' squad I don't recognise and some of them I couldn't stand anyway.
And we always manage to fail at the final hurdle. I get enough of that with Hibs actually thank you very much.

doddsy
22-03-2016, 07:59 AM
How about if Scotland were to introduce an away strip of mainly green and white. It would surely go some way to being more inclusive of some of it's more major teams.

Can you imagine the furore at the SFA if Rod insisted on it. The Blazers would be up in arms methinks. i might write a letter to Doncaster and Regan suggesting it.:flag:

blackpoolhibs
22-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Not if it involves me watching a game of football and wanting someone like Craig Levein or Davie Weir to win it. Actually supporting them and willing them to win gies me the boak.

Any day where players/staff like them come off the pitch with a smile on their face is a bad day at the office as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest I've got absolutely no idea who's in the current Scotland team, but I've no doubt there'll be some hearts or rantic players/staff who I'd happily watch lose a kickabout in the park never mind a competitive game.

John McGinn is with this squad.

barcahibs
22-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I knew that, but he's the only player I know. I hope he puts in the absolute minimum amount of effort possible and doesnt come back jaded or injured. I'd rather no Hibs players wasted their time or energy on work that has no benefit to the club.

.Sean.
22-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Pile of pish and I canny be arsed with the Tartan Army

paddy1875
22-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Pile of pish and I canny be arsed with the Tartan Army

The patter of these guys is pretty helmet. Bit like rugby fans getting blasted and being friends with everyone.

G B Young
22-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I knew that, but he's the only player I know. I hope he puts in the absolute minimum amount of effort possible and doesnt come back jaded or injured. I'd rather no Hibs players wasted their time or energy on work that has no benefit to the club.

Like you I must admit a number of the names in the Scotland squad are unknown to me, but today is the first time I've taken the time to have a look at it in a long long while. While I can understand why John McGinn would merit a call-up, I'm baffled to see Steven Fletcher still gets the nod! Of the Mowbray generation he was the one I felt would go on to become a really top class player but he seems to have done little but engineer a series of big money moves based on very little input as a player. He's miles out of the picture at Sunderland and to describe him as a striker is surely a bit of a joke these days as a glance at his goalscoring record reveals he scores about one a season! What's especially disappointing about him, on the rare recent occasions I've seen him play, is that he has made no apparent effort to improve. His main flaw at Hibs was that he was painfully reliant on his left foot and would end up contorting his body to avoid having to hit the ball with his right, often turning easy opportunities into tricky ones. As for his Scotland record, he's only scored a couple against meaningful opposition. I'd fancy myself to bag a couple against Gibraltar!! Time to blood some younger front men if Scotland are serious about ever improving methinks.

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Like you I must admit a number of the names in the Scotland squad are unknown to me, but today is the first time I've taken the time to have a look at it in a long long while. While I can understand why John McGinn would merit a call-up, I'm baffled to see Steven Fletcher still gets the nod! Of the Mowbray generation he was the one I felt would go on to become a really top class player but he seems to have done little but engineer a series of big money moves based on very little input as a player. He's miles out of the picture at Sunderland and to describe him as a striker is surely a bit of a joke these days as a glance at his goalscoring record reveals he scores about one a season! What's especially disappointing about him, on the rare recent occasions I've seen him play, is that he has made no apparent effort to improve. His main flaw at Hibs was that he was painfully reliant on his left foot and would end up contorting his body to avoid having to hit the ball with his right, often turning easy opportunities into tricky ones. As for his Scotland record, he's only scored a couple against meaningful opposition. I'd fancy myself to bag a couple against Gibraltar!! Time to blood some younger front men if Scotland are serious about ever improving methinks.

Yet he has made a very decent career for himself, some decent money and is currently playing for Marseille, I think you are doing him an injustice.

doddsy
22-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Yet he has made a very decent career for himself, some decent money and is currently playing for Marseille, I think you are doing him an injustice.

I alway's rated Fletch. Scored some amazing goals throughout his career. Thought he'd end up at Liverpool eventually the team he supported as a boy.

Fletch is always assured a warm welcome back to Easter Road. Hope he does well at Marseille.

ben johnson
22-03-2016, 09:33 PM

We were in Sarajevo discussing Craig Browns half time change and reverting back to a more defensive set up after getting ahead. We were overheard by a so called footsoldier who turned around and asked if I was Statto. He was dressed in a kilt and a fez

majorhibs
22-03-2016, 10:33 PM
International break is a weekend-spoiler, a total inconvenience for me.

So, of course, your weekend & your interesrs being compromised, lets f it up for absolutely everybody! Charmer!

G B Young
22-03-2016, 10:39 PM

No question he's made some decent money, but I've just had a look at his stats and he's scored 12 goals in three seasons at Sunderland. Even allowing for injuries etc that's not exactly the return you'd expect from a supposedly top striker. And for Scotland, if you discount two meaningless hat-tricks against Gibraltar (56 goals conceded in the Euro qualifiers) his international record is two goals in 23 appearances. As I said, I thought he was a very fine player for Hibs but who can seriously say he's done anything but flatter to deceive since?

majorhibs
22-03-2016, 10:49 PM

I can't pretend that the referendum hasn't had a bit of an effect either.

My whole view of what "Scotland" actually is has changed.

It's a strange entity that I once had pride in but I now view it as no more than the name of the part of Britain that I live in.

(Without wanting to start another political debate, I'm aware there are other places for that).

You are just zoomers. Zilch brains & Zilch hope. Just complete zoomers. Theres a place for you folks, just go find it!

barcahibs
22-03-2016, 11:06 PM
You are just zoomers. Zilch brains & Zilch hope. Just complete zoomers. Theres a place for you folks, just go find it!

:) nah my knees are shot, I'm not that fast anymore to be honest, I wouldn't say I could zoom anywhere.

If a Hibs player wanted to go off and represent Scotland playing international Rugby would that be alright?

Or Elephant Polo? I believe we're actually quite good at that. Yeah, admittedly every now and again a player gets eaten by his elephant and Hibs lose out on his services but its worth it so we can all feel that sense of pride when he pulls on that dark blue Scottish Elephant Polo jersey.

Did Andy Goram not represent Scotland at Cricket while he played for Hibs? Seem to remember the club weren't too happy?

Whats the difference?

Killiehibbie
23-03-2016, 08:29 AM
:) nah my knees are shot, I'm not that fast anymore to be honest, I wouldn't say I could zoom anywhere.

If a Hibs player wanted to go off and represent Scotland playing international Rugby would that be alright?

Or Elephant Polo? I believe we're actually quite good at that. Yeah, admittedly every now and again a player gets eaten by his elephant and Hibs lose out on his services but its worth it so we can all feel that sense of pride when he pulls on that dark blue Scottish Elephant Polo jersey.

Did Andy Goram not represent Scotland at Cricket while he played for Hibs? Seem to remember the club weren't too happy?

Whats the difference?I think he was ordered to stop playing cricket.

SlickShoes
23-03-2016, 08:38 AM
As someone who has grown up with almost every Scotland campaign ending in a "aw hard luck eh lads, got beat 2-0 by Armenia but at least we almost beat the world champions and nearly qualified, best fans in the world, glorious failure!!!", I'm pretty apathetic towards the national team. That can of course change if we actually qualify for something, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Pretty much this, although I grew up when we did qualify for stuff and was much more interested back then. I will watch all the competitive games on TV but have 0 interest in friendlies.

G B Young
23-03-2016, 09:33 AM

As the poll shows, there are as many Hibs fans on here with no interest in following Scotland as there are those who do watch the national team. It underlines the diversity of views on the subject that I believed to exist among fans based on various conversations over the years. However, the common thread among everyone on here is presumably that we are all Hibs supporters and I'd suggest anyone's opinions on subjects outwith the club should be quietly respected.

Phil MaGlass
23-03-2016, 10:25 AM
I cannot stand international breaks, although this one has come at a good time.

The only team in fussed about is Hibernian. I'll watch Scotland on the telly but just can't seem to get into it. Most of our players aren't even really scottish.

Problem is, these days are long gone for every country, we may never see another team full of Scots again. The whole sporting world is the same, rugby,cricket,tennis the list is endless anyone can now almost play for any country.
I think the one of the most recent German teams had 6 foreign players playing for them.(of course I may be mistaken)

barcahibs
23-03-2016, 10:42 AM
I think he was ordered to stop playing cricket.

Was he not told to stop but kept doing it anyway? It was a long time ago!

I'm sure the club were worried about him getting injured (I seem to recall specifically worried about a hand or finger injury?) whilst doing something unrelated to his work for the club, even though he was representing his country while doing so.

How is that different from playing for the Scottish national football team?

I get that some people enjoy watching international football - personally I enjoy a good airshow - but I don't expect Hibs to postpone their games when fixtures clash, or expect Lewis Stevenson to be sent out to do barrel rolls in a Hawk jet with the Red Arrows when there aren't any rantic players available to do it.

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 10:57 AM
https://www.facebook.com/tartanarmysunshineappeal/

Another £5k donation to a local children's charity by the Tartan Army today in Prague. Since 1999, EVERY away game has seen a similar donation to a local charity by the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal and the Tartan Army Children's Charity. The TA come in for a hell of a lot of stick, especially on here, but these guys deserve a great deal of credit, a bit like our Dnipro Kids.

Craig_in_Prague
23-03-2016, 10:59 AM
https://www.facebook.com/tartanarmysunshineappeal/

Another £5k donation to a local children's charity by the Tartan Army today in Prague. Since 1999, EVERY away game has seen a similar donation to a local charity by the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal and the Tartan Army Children's Charity. The TA come in for a hell of a lot of stick, especially on here, but these guys deserve a great deal of credit, a bit like our Dnipro Kids.

Brilliant !

Just been out for lunch and see plenty fans already walking around - looking forward to tomorrow!

WeeRussell
23-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Brilliant !

Just been out for lunch and see plenty fans already walking around - looking forward to tomorrow!

How dare you guys kill the thread with something positive to say about the Tartan Army?

I was looking forward to more sweeping statements because one individual upset a poster in a pub 20 years ago.

Speedy
23-03-2016, 12:14 PM
No question he's made some decent money, but I've just had a look at his stats and he's scored 12 goals in three seasons at Sunderland. Even allowing for injuries etc that's not exactly the return you'd expect from a supposedly top striker. And for Scotland, if you discount two meaningless hat-tricks against Gibraltar (56 goals conceded in the Euro qualifiers) his international record is two goals in 23 appearances. As I said, I thought he was a very fine player for Hibs but who can seriously say he's done anything but flatter to deceive since?

It's definitely fair to say he hasn't fulfilled his potential but you're giving him an overly hard time.

I'd point out the following:
- he wasn't a big goalscorer at Hibs
- he's only played for team who are fighting relegation
- more seasons than not he's been the top goalscorer for whoever he's played

Speedy
23-03-2016, 12:19 PM
How dare you guys kill the thread with something positive to say about the Tartan Army?

I was looking forward to more sweeping statements because one individual upset a poster in a pub 20 years ago.

It's pretty pathetic that grown adults want to their national team to lose because there are players from Hibs' rivals in the squad (or not, because those people don't care enough to have any knowledge of who is actually in the squad).

CropleyWasGod
23-03-2016, 12:23 PM

...other than boosting his potential sell-on value, you mean?

Hiber-nation
23-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Steven Fletcher pulled out sick from the squad traveling to Prague. The only strikers left are Tony Watt and Ross McCormack which shows how much we're going to struggle in the forthcoming qualifying campaign.

Smartie
23-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Steven Fletcher pulled out sick from the squad traveling to Prague. The only strikers left are Tony Watt and Ross McCormack which shows how much we're going to struggle in the forthcoming qualifying campaign.

Ross McCormack has been busting a gut to get into the Scotland squad for years now.

I hope he gets a chance and takes it because I'd rather have someone who really wants to be there over the shower of prima donnas who only want to pitch up when it suits them any day.

Craig_HFC
23-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Don't really care, probably won't watch either game coming up. I'll maybe watch the highlights (if there are any) if Zinedine McGinn gets a game.

The Tartan Army is full of teuchters and plebs that think wearing a See You Jimmy hat is the absolute pinnacle of comedy.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Ross McCormack has been busting a gut to get into the Scotland squad for years now.

I hope he gets a chance and takes it because I'd rather have someone who really wants to be there over the shower of prima donnas who only want to pitch up when it suits them any day.

Yeah, I love watching McCormack although he doesn't seem to fit into Strachan's idea of an international footballer. Hope he does well tomorrow.

G B Young
23-03-2016, 12:47 PM
It's definitely fair to say he hasn't fulfilled his potential but you're giving him an overly hard time.

I'd point out the following:
- he wasn't a big goalscorer at Hibs
- he's only played for team who are fighting relegation
- more seasons than not he's been the top goalscorer for whoever he's played

For a big chunk of his time at Hibs there were a number of very decent strikers on the books, in particular Riordan and O'Connor, but also Killen and Benjelloun (oh and of course Amadou Konte!), yet I'm sure he was approaching 50 goals by the time he left (would need to check that though). Since then I think the only club where he delivered a reasonably solid return in goals was Wolves. Whether or not the English clubs he's played or have been battling relegation the reason a club like Sunderland signed him was surely because they hoped he would be the man to get the goals to help turn their fortunes around. In that respect they must be sorely disappointed in their investment because it seems they continue to battle the drop every season and Fletcher has found the net just a handful of times in three years. As I said, I liked him as a player at Hibs, but I just find it remarkable he seems to be the best 'striker' Scotland can come up with based on his scoring record.

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Don't really care, probably won't watch either game coming up. I'll maybe watch the highlights (if there are any) if Zinedine McGinn gets a game.

The Tartan Army is full of teuchters and plebs that think wearing a See You Jimmy hat is the absolute pinnacle of comedy.

You clearly haven't been to many Scotland games. I've been to nearly 50 away games and you'd be lucky to see a single "see you jimmy" hat other than maybe Euro 96 or France 98 when loads of non-regulars came along for the ride.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2016, 01:10 PM

I've been to plenty Scotland away games and never felt the need to wear tartan, a kilt or a Jimmy Hat. Some of the sweeping generalisations on this thread are bollocks.

SteveHFC
23-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I've been to plenty Scotland away games and never felt the need to wear tartan, a kilt or a Jimmy Hat. Some of the sweeping generalisations on this thread are bollocks.

I just wear my Scotland jumper and top with Jeans with a tartan scarf. Still usually get a half/half scarf at the game as a sovenuir.

Craig_HFC
23-03-2016, 01:27 PM
You clearly haven't been to many Scotland games. I've been to nearly 50 away games and you'd be lucky to see a single "see you jimmy" hat other than maybe Euro 96 or France 98 when loads of non-regulars came along for the ride.

Because we've been in so many tournaments since then to show the world that the Tartan Army is more than just a shan hat right enough.

:greengrin :wink:

hibeeleicester
23-03-2016, 01:29 PM
I will be working at Victoria Stadium tonight for Gibraltar v Leichenstein :greengrin :flag:

doddsy
23-03-2016, 03:22 PM

That's what I mean about the kind of supercilliousness of 'Ahve bin on many a campaign' Tartan Army with the badges and feathered boys brigade caps. What about a green and white away strip?

Put's one right off with that kind of nonsence. No offence Frazerbob.:flag:

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2016, 03:39 PM
I wear my jimmy hat at home, i sometimes wear it when i'm performing too.

doddsy
23-03-2016, 03:42 PM

With the Wife I hope or is it an away game you wear it when performing?

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Nothing wrong with the tartan army, the teams been crap but the support has always been superb. :top marks

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Supercilliously I hope G!

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2016, 05:56 PM

No need to wear a hat to know i'm better than most matey. :wink:

doddsy
23-03-2016, 06:56 PM

WTF :confused:

doddsy
23-03-2016, 06:58 PM

You trying to take the piss ya foamer

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2016, 08:54 PM
WTF :confused:

:faf:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Indeed I am ya fud.

Whats a foamer?

I seem to remember Creamola Foam being the way forward.

doddsy
23-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Indeed I am ya fud.

''ya fud'' dearie me.

doddsy
23-03-2016, 09:23 PM
:faf:

A see you jimmy hat

:rolleyes:

Frazerbob
23-03-2016, 09:25 PM
That's what I mean about the kind of supercilliousness of 'Ahve bin on many a campaign' Tartan Army with the badges and feathered boys brigade caps. What about a green and white away strip?

Put's one right off with that kind of nonsence. No offence Frazerbob.:flag:

No offence taken. All I mean is, like when we go to Hampden, the tournaments (remember them?) and England games tend attract non regular Scotland fans. No supercilliousness from me (I think as I actually don't know wtf that means).

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Lets just leave it then. Not sure why fud is funnier than foamer tho. ya fud.

Bishop Hibee
23-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm a member of the Scotland Supporters Club and go to all competitive home games and the odd friendly and away game. My first game was at home to England in an 88,000 crowd. Lost 0-1 to a Paul Mariner header. No away fans and you could have heard a pin drop. Hooked after that though.

doddsy
23-03-2016, 09:31 PM
No offence taken. All I mean is, like when we go to Hampden, the tournaments (remember them?) and England games tend attract non regular Scotland fans. No supercilliousness from me (I think as I actually don't know wtf that means).

It's just a word I heard being used when I was at college one day, it means people with an air of superiority or snobbishness, I like to use it when people are putting others down a bit that's all Frazerbob.

Fair dos bud. You sound like a down to earth bloke. Apologies man.

doddsy
23-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Lets just leave it then. Not sure why fud is funnier than foamer tho. ya fud.

:thumbsup:

HappyHanlon
24-03-2016, 11:05 AM
If Scotland were playing in my back garden, I'd shut the curtains.

Carheenlea
24-03-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm very much an armchair/pub Scotland fan. Went to a lot of big home World Cup & euro qualifying games in the 80's and very early 90's, but one thing that has put me off attending the odd game is a sense of feeling a bit put out alongside well travelled and fanatical members of the Tartan Army, and maybe Scotland supporting being a bit of a closed shop?
I have friends who travel everywhere watching Scotland along with Hibs, and when they get together they can regale great tales of foreign escapades which makes me feel very much an outsider as an armchair fan and sort of discourages me a bit from going to Hampden to watch Scotland.
I wouldn't mind going to the odd game, but I do quite enjoy watching games as a social occasion in the pub.

Just Jimmy
25-03-2016, 08:09 AM
For me football is always about the 90 mins. If i watch hibs and we win I'm happy, more so if it's a great performance. I've never understood the cup final mentality of a great day out - aye pal, if we win.

That my issue with Scotland games. Generally the football is eye bleedingly bad and the results tend to be around that same level.

That said when a game is on i tend to get caught up and want us to do well. However if we don't I'm over it in minutes and frankly, it's just not Hibs.

I have no criticism of the tartan army or their dedication to the cause.

Phil MaGlass
25-03-2016, 03:43 PM

hahahahahaha... nearly choked on ma wine. Sorry for laffin but the wife looked at me as if ah wis mental

Steve-O
27-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Went to Germany in September 2014 which was my first away game and only my second full international! Great weekend (possibly made better by being in the middle of a 5 week holiday) and would definitely do it again.

There were a few idiots about but when thousands of people, about 75% male, are on the lash, then that's impossible to avoid. Never saw any trouble of any kind though.

My main focus was on the game itself I must admit, and was gutted when we lost. Celebrating the equaliser was up there with any Hibs goal I have celebrated too.

Strangely, leaving Scotland has made me feel 100 times more Scottish! :greengrin

sleeping giant
28-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Deary me.

That's a bit insulting don't you think ?

SteveHFC
28-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Went to Germany in September 2014 which was my first away game and only my second full international! Great weekend (possibly made better by being in the middle of a 5 week holiday) and would definitely do it again.

There were a few idiots about but when thousands of people, about 75% male, are on the lash, then that's impossible to avoid. Never saw any trouble of any kind though.

My main focus was on the game itself I must admit, and was gutted when we lost. Celebrating the equaliser was up there with any Hibs goal I have celebrated too.

Strangely, leaving Scotland has made me feel 100 times more Scottish! :greengrin

The celebrations at the Ireland Game at parkhead and McFadden's goal against the dutch in the play-offs are up there for me.:agree:

Craig_HFC
28-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Deary me.

That's a bit insulting don't you think ?

Only if you're a teuchter or a pleb.

sleeping giant
28-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Only if you're a teuchter or a pleb.

:greengrin