PDA

View Full Version : 2nd, 3rd or 4th - What's the difference?

hibby6270
19-03-2016, 11:04 PM
At the end of the day, it's only 2 extra games.

OK - I know we already have a fixture pile up in April and position in league determines who plays home or away in the playoff games but remember that made no difference in the Hamilton play off in 2014 and didn't help us last season either against The Rangers.

We WILL be in the play offs. There is no doubt about that. We just need to turn this poor run round and go in to them with a confident winning (unbeaten) run behind us.

Captain Trips
19-03-2016, 11:06 PM
The fact this is even an issue shows just how much we have failed to build from last season. From not winning the league to what happens if we do not even finish 2nd. Seriously? Is this where we are at?

hibby6270
19-03-2016, 11:25 PM
The fact this is even an issue shows just how much we have failed to build from last season. From not winning the league to what happens if we do not even finish 2nd. Seriously? Is this where we are at?

Sadly it is.
The only outcome that would really be termed a true success would be winning this league in the same way we did in 1980 and 1999. Only chance of that happening is 3rd term in Championship. Something that is looking more likely as each game passes.

The playoffs give us a chance but it's a poor substitute that gives the teams who haven't had the best results think they have achieved something. If it turns out to be our salvation this season then fine but hardly something we should be proud of or be celebrating as an achievement given some of our recent displays.

We are Hibs for goodness sake. One of the so called big clubs in Scotland. When will we start to act like if on a consistent basis?

Gatecrasher
19-03-2016, 11:37 PM
The fact we have to settle for 2nd in the championship never mind 3rd or 4th shows how far we've fallen. It's unacceptable and the players will need the bye and rest if we manage to pull this off.

NadeAteMyLunch!
20-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Two more games, ironically against the team that have just beaten us a few hours ago

Nutmegged
20-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Sadly it is.
The only outcome that would really be termed a true success would be winning this league in the same way we did in 1980 and 1999. Only chance of that happening is 3rd term in Championship. Something that is looking more likely as each game passes.

The playoffs give us a chance but it's a poor substitute that gives the teams who haven't had the best results think they have achieved something. If it turns out to be our salvation this season then fine but hardly something we should be proud of or be celebrating as an achievement given some of our recent displays.

We are Hibs for goodness sake. One of the so called big clubs in Scotland. When will we start to act like if on a consistent basis?

Fanbase tells us we are one of the top five bbiggest Clubs in Scotland, however never in my lifetime and I doubt in many's have Hibs ever acted like a big club, we can do some good things and some great things but its always coupled with a great big boot in the stones, I have no idea why or how

Sir David Gray
20-03-2016, 12:23 AM
Under the current structure of the play offs, I can't see any 3rd or 4th placed side in the Championship ever being promoted.

Six matches is too much in such a short space of time.

The fact that we're even contemplating the idea that we might end up finishing below Falkirk is a really sobering thought.

We need to finish second or it's another season in the Championship as far as i'm concerned.

Sean1875
20-03-2016, 12:37 AM
we need to make sure we have time to get a decent trip to La Manga in too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
20-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Under the current structure of the play offs, I can't see any 3rd or 4th placed side in the Championship ever being promoted.

The fact that we're even contemplating the idea that we might end up finishing below Falkirk is a really sobering thought.

We need to finish second or it's another season in the Championship as far as i'm concerned.

The way the play-offs are structured is definitely to the benefit of the premiership team.

The first set of play-offs seen Falkirk prevail in the third/fourth tie against queens but they were suffering big time come the end of the Hamilton tie. Hamilton themselves were cream crackered in the final but a combination of good management, never say die spirit and ****ing dreadful opposition saw them just make it and no more.

The second year saw a close encounter between Sevco and QOS which saw one team scrape through. Unfortunately it seemed like Sevco carried on their momentum into the first tie against us and done just enough to get through in the second leg. I think the games took their toll against Motherwell and even though rangers had more quality, Motherwell seemed that bit sharper and took their chances.

It will be a very tall order to win the play offs if we finish third due to sheer number of games, especially if we have a cup final to deal with too. Theoretically it could be:
Wednesday Raith away
Saturday Raith home
Wednesday Falkirk home
Saturday Falkirk away
Wednesday Kilmarnock home
Saturday Scottish cup final
Wednesday Kilmarnock away

Even if you take the final away and replace it with the killie game it's still a tall order. Only the mugs were lumping on us winning this league but this extra two games wasn't part of the deal. Ironically, a Scottish cup final might just prove a pain in the erse. Even if we beat united and play the Huns maybe we should rest Stokes and Hendo for the important games.

This season is mental but honestly, I'm loving it. Living on the edge or what?:greengrin

Forza Fred
20-03-2016, 01:59 AM

Quite simply this current Hibs side could not be expected to perform with any degree of consistency over 6 matches, and it could take only one poor performance to scupper us.

JOD
20-03-2016, 02:24 AM

OK - I know we already have a fixture pile up in April and position in league determines who plays home or away in the playoff games but remember that made no difference in the Hamilton play off in 2014 and didn't help us last season either against The Rangers.

We WILL be in the play offs. There is no doubt about that. We just need to turn this poor run round and go in to them with a confident winning (unbeaten) run behind us.

Totally agree for one of the few times in my Hibee life (+50 yrs ) I was not concerned about to-day.

The team has been on a rollercoaster for a week. We will still win the playoffs and beat Der Hun in the Holy Grail Final :pray:

mjhibby
20-03-2016, 03:26 AM
Totally agree for one of the few times in my Hibee life (+50 yrs ) I was not concerned about to-day.

The team has been on a rollercoaster for a week. We will still win the playoffs and beat Der Hun in the Holy Grail Final :pray:

The two hertz games have taken more out of the team than we thought with the two caley games as well. The injuries to Hanlon,mcgeoch and fyfie have also greatly not helped. The cup results have shown we are a decent side who would hold their own in the premier league. Maybe there is an attitude problem. Its almost as if we have accepted the playoffs and are just counting down the days.

Yorkshire HFC
20-03-2016, 04:34 AM
Hibs used to be one of the major players in Scottish football - not any more - I'm gutted.

Waxy
20-03-2016, 07:29 AM
We're no Real Madrid.The cup games have probably caused the slump but that's all the more reason to put everything into the Scottish cup.We're in the playoffs now gaurenteeed anyway.Do we fight tooth and nail to get second playing our best team every game? this will probably result in them being completely knackered by the business end.Or, Rotate the squad best we can and keep everyone fresh as possible? I say rotate the team.Falirk and Raith most likely don't have as big squads as us and will be out on their feet come playoff time.

Beefster
20-03-2016, 07:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that there is a scientific term for when folk start trying to justify bad outcomes to themselves en masse.

Risboro Hibby
20-03-2016, 07:53 AM
we need to make sure we have time to get a decent trip to La Manga in too..

It's comments like this that remind me why I just love being a Hibby :wink:

ALF TUPPER
20-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Quite simply this current Hibs side could not be expected to perform with any degree of consistency over 6 matches, and it could take only one poor performance to scupper us.

I would always expect this current Hibs squad to perform with a degree of consistency over 6 games. We won something like 17 on the bounce already. With Hanlon, McGeoch, Fyvie & Co back , I can see us kicking on again.
The International break will be good for everyone ( including fans too ). The players who will be away could benefit by forgetting the domestic scene for a bit. IMO. The ones staying at home will have a fortnight rest from matchday , time to recover, recharge and prepare for the final run in.

I'm still expectant 👍🏻

Onion
20-03-2016, 08:07 AM

But that's where are and no point in wallowing in self-pity. Finishing 2nd would be best, but if that doesn't happen, Hibs can't just chuck it.

In some ways I can see how a 3rd place finish could actually HELP Hibs promotion chances. The most dangerous teams are those that others have written off or who get a second chance. If Stubbs can inject some confidence back into the team, with players coming back, Hibs can win the 3 v 4th PO. Hibs will have momentum and Falkirk will not fancy playing a resurgent Hibs, who all but thought their promotion hopes were dead. This is about good management and using your circumstances to your advantage. Other teams and managers do it all the time, and Hibs have shown time and again against Prem team that they can beat anyone. If we all feel sorry for ourselves, we're as good as finished.

Expecting Rain
20-03-2016, 08:11 AM
I think we can afford to experiment with the remaining fixtures, it is a chance to relax and play the football we know we are capable of.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Anyone who tried to suggest that a 4th place finish would have been in any way acceptable at the start of the season would have had their posts counted and allegiances questioned. Expectations are rightly set at the kick off and then monitored.

Onion
20-03-2016, 08:17 AM

That's a good point. It's easier being the underdog and chasing than it is to stay ahead. Hibs have been the main competition to the Huns throughout the season (Falkirk gave up before a ball was kicked). So, losing to Morton and then Dumbarton all but killed any hope of winning the league. That is crushing for a team who thought they were in with a genuine chance, so maybe our collapse is not so surprising after all. Falkirk then see a real chance of catching Hibs, while they're down. Hibs de-motoivated, Falkirk motivated.

Let's see how Houston and Falkirk handle being favourites for 2nd place in the weeks to come, or sitting there waiting for the winners of the Hibs v Other PO games. :cb

Blaster
20-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Anyone who tried to suggest that a 4th place finish would have been in any way acceptable at the start of the season would have had their posts counted and allegiances questioned. Expectations are rightly set at the kick off and then monitored.

I don't think anyone is saying it's acceptable. However promotion is the aim and I couldn't care if we get if finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th. Promotion is acceptable and I still believe we will get it irrespective of where we finish

Onion
20-03-2016, 08:28 AM

:agree: But we now have to start dealing with the present. Anyone suggesting Stubbs gets fired at this point, or that we've blown our promotion hopes, needs to go on a long holiday. 2nd place guarantees you NOTHING and we need to start thinking how fortunate we are to still have a chance of promotion if we finish 3rd or 4th.

Steve-O
20-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Surely we're now looking at struggling to even beat Raith in the first play off games?

familyman
20-03-2016, 08:29 AM

We have been let down dramatically by the present pool of players,they have shown themselves to be big game players only and that does not win you a league as we have seen.
Despite AS constant The league is our priority it is obvious it is HIS and not the players priority.
This is HIBERNIAN FC for goodness sake, losing to a part time team is a shocker ,and so are the past recent league game results.
AS says on a regular basis he trusts the players, exactly what is that based on?..not early or recent performances , so on what exactly?

Big_Franck
20-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Some serious amount of straw clutching going on in this thread. If we don't finish second we won't go up.

I think we'll need to beat Falkirk at home and take something from The Rangers game to finish second. April is going to be one of the most important months in our club's recent history. Bring it on :greengrin

Onion
20-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Surely we're now looking at struggling to even beat Raith in the first play off games?

Is that how football works ?

Captain Trips
20-03-2016, 08:44 AM
:agree: But we now have to start dealing with the present. Anyone suggesting Stubbs gets fired at this point, or that we've blown our promotion hopes, needs to go on a long holiday. 2nd place guarantees you NOTHING and we need to start thinking how fortunate we are to still have a chance of promotion if we finish 3rd or 4th.

The point is if the job is getting done correctly I would have 100% or near it we would go up. Look at the squad the stadium the fan base.

All we have shown in last few weeks is we have an issue that is serious enough to have this far from a given. Maybe you are confident but I am not and after the time he has had that shouldn't be case. Nothing is certain I know but to be losing to teams round about us now is a worry.

SJM
20-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Surely this isn't even a serious question.

Steve-O
20-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Is that how football works ?

We're in horrendous form...erm, yes?

DH1875
20-03-2016, 09:09 AM

Aye but we're no Real Madrid and even they'd struggle to beat the mighty Raith Rovers and Falkirk :rolleyes:

Finishing 3rd or 4th = failure, as simple as that.

FromTheCapital
20-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Pride.
There's no shame in coming 2nd behind Rangers who operate on about 5 times our budget but finishing behind a club like Falkirk would be shameful.

Nicho87
20-03-2016, 10:25 AM
6 games or 4 tricky one that.
If we come second theres a chance rovers can beat falkirk. Will be a big ask but id fancy our chances more against rovers than falkirk, even after yesterday. Will we get promoted, answers on a postcard.

Onceinawhile
20-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Aye but we're no Real Madrid and even they'd struggle to beat the mighty Raith Rovers and Falkirk :rolleyes:

Finishing 3rd or 4th = failure, as simple as that.

Finishing third or fourth and not coming up = failure.

Finishing third or fourth and coming up = success.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I don't think anyone is saying it's acceptable. However promotion is the aim and I couldn't care if we get if finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th. Promotion is acceptable and I still believe we will get it irrespective of where we finish
Not looking to be pedantic, but if the question is who would care how we got up as long as we go up then that would be self indulgence IMO. Winning from fourth could arguably mean six wins on the spin but at a minimum it will mean six consistent performances, more or less one after the other. Might be uncomfortable, but there is substance to the question of where we have been able to do that before this season, can we do it again.

20-03-2016, 10:48 AM
With our fixture pile up 2 extra games is the last thing we need. 2nd is a must IMO.

overdrive
20-03-2016, 11:16 AM
With our fixture pile up 2 extra games is the last thing we need. 2nd is a must IMO.

I agree but playing devil's advocate here, it could be argued that the break we had last year resulted in us not being match sharp for the first leg against The Rangers. The downside is that it totally knackers you for the final (see The Rangers vs Motherwell).

PMSL - I accidentally missed off the 's' in the first 'The Rangers' above and it autocorrected to 'The Orange'

Bobo
20-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Pride.
There's no shame in coming 2nd behind Rangers who operate on about 5 times our budget but finishing behind a club like Falkirk would be shameful.

My thoughts exactly, we seem to lack pride in ourselves and far too often lack the right mentality to shake off the perpetual underachievement that has plagued the club for the past 30+ years!

We need to be ruthless against every opponent but are far too nice and apologetic for my liking, it's time to up the pace, roll up the sleeves and get stuck in!

Eyrie
20-03-2016, 11:58 AM
There is a massive difference between finishing second and finishing third or fourth.

We have to play twice a week throughout April, so finishing second will give our players a much needed break before the four crucial play off games. It also means that Falkirk and Raith will have had to play each other whilst we've had that break, which should give us an edge in freshness.

Finishing third or fourth means playing twice a week for two months, and we've just seen how draining that is for the players.

Right now, finishing second is all that matters.

Spike Mandela
20-03-2016, 12:36 PM
There is a massive difference between finishing second and finishing third or fourth.

We have to play twice a week throughout April, so finishing second will give our players a much needed break before the four crucial play off games. It also means that Falkirk and Raith will have had to play each other whilst we've had that break, which should give us an edge in freshness.

Finishing third or fourth means playing twice a week for two months, and we've just seen how draining that is for the players.

Right now, finishing second is all that matters.

Yeah, worked a treat last year.:rolleyes:

SJM
20-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Aye, for the third place side playing 5 games in two weeks also. How did that work out?

Spike Mandela
20-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Aye, for the third place side playing 5 games in two weeks also. How did that work out?

They got hilariously thumped.:aok:

We've lost the playoffs as the Premier side and as the Championship second side. Any perceived advantage is negligable. You need a squad, you need momentum and you need to get the breaks required in knock out football.

SJM
20-03-2016, 03:15 PM
They got hilariously thumped.:aok:

We've lost the playoffs as the Premier side and as the Championship second side. Any perceived advantage is negligable. You need a squad, you need momentum and you need to get the breaks required in knock out football.

That hilarious it directly cost us automatic promotion if good enough this year? It wasn't funny at all.

Squad? Momentum? We are dead on our feet playing like fishes out of water.

Eyrie
20-03-2016, 03:37 PM

So you're happy for us to play twice a week every week in April and May because it will give us momentum and don't believe that fatigue will be a problem, despite the evidence last year that Sevco, who had your momentum, ran out of steam against Motherwell. Or the evidence the previous year when Hamilton went up despite finishing second and so squandering the opportunity to have some momentum by finishing third.

Ronniekirk
20-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Will be a different team we put out by then ie Hanlon Henderson Mcgeoch Fyfie and Cummings goal drought cant Continue forever ,and Dagnall has to score at some point !!!!
However Same as last season Lewis gets no respite as no direct replacement for him and if Hanlon comes back to soon and goes out again we have a problem

SanFranHibs
20-03-2016, 04:27 PM
The fact we have to settle for 2nd in the championship never mind 3rd or 4th shows how far we've fallen. It's unacceptable and the players will need the bye and rest if we manage to pull this off.

The bye and the rest did not work for us last season or prior to the LC final a week ago.

I think playing the first playoff round and winning it puts you in a winning frame of mind for the final playoff round.

I don't believe lying by the pool in Spain is best for getting a team up for a game of football in Scotland. They should be doing light training and 'feeling' the anticipation and buzz as they go about the town. They can go home at night and rest their weary legs.

that said....as long as the prevail :greengrin

Spike Mandela
20-03-2016, 04:42 PM
So you're happy for us to play twice a week every week in April and May because it will give us momentum and don't believe that fatigue will be a problem, despite the evidence last year that Sevco, who had your momentum, ran out of steam against Motherwell. Or the evidence the previous year when Hamilton went up despite finishing second and so squandering the opportunity to have some momentum by finishing third.

Not saying happy, just saying it is what it is.

I think we have a squad that is capable of promotion if we are fit and playing well at the time of playoffs no matter what position we finish in league.

In terms of momentum I was talking about a team being on a winning streak at the time of the playoffs not who had the most games to play. For instance say Dundee Utd started winning and pipped the second bottom team in Premier league on last day of season. They would enter playoffs with momentum behind them.

hibby6270
20-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Really glad I started this thread now.

The various replies show there is no real right or wrong answer to where we finish in the top 4 places.

We've been in the shoes of the Premiership side and also the 2nd placed side in the Championship and failed to take advantage of the so called rest period that brings.

So my point was, finishing 3rd or 4th is no less a guarantee of gaining promotion as it is if we finish 2nd.

Like everybody on here (I hope), we'll take whatever is needed to gain promotion and IMHO that may even mean sacrificing the Scottish Cup for the longer term good of the club. Was it in this thread I said winning the cup would have a hollow feel of success to it if we are still languishing in the Championship for at least one more season.

Again, my opinion, not everyone will agree, but having supported Hibs as long as I have, I am a realist more than an expectant dreamer. It's the way it is I'm afraid.

rcarter1
20-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Really glad I started this thread now.

The various replies show there is no real right or wrong answer to where we finish in the top 4 places.

We've been in the shoes of the Premiership side and also the 2nd placed side in the Championship and failed to take advantage of the so called rest period that brings.

So my point was, finishing 3rd or 4th is no less a guarantee of gaining promotion as it is if we finish 2nd.

Like everybody on here (I hope), we'll take whatever is needed to gain promotion and IMHO that may even mean sacrificing the Scottish Cup for the longer term good of the club. Was it in this thread I said winning the cup would have a hollow feel of success to it if we are still languishing in the Championship for at least one more season.

Again, my opinion, not everyone will agree, but having supported Hibs as long as I have, I am a realist more than an expectant dreamer. It's the way it is I'm afraid.

I agree in general with what you are saying. Finishing 3/4 is not massively worse a situation than we already are in. It is worse however. Theres a reasonable chance we don't win it, and injuries and suspensions could come into it. With the schedule we have, it may also exhaust the players.

Anyway, Im not going to seat anymore where we finish. The season really starts when the play offs begin. 2nd or 3/4 I can't allow myself to get into a tizzy over. Thats the good news for Stubbs and the players. No matter how badly we perform in the final 8 league games, we dress ourselves down, remind ourselves that we are actually a decent team. Change things that needs changed. Then go hell for leather in these games.

Oh, and bring home the Scottish Cup just for giggles.. :greengrin

Eyrie
20-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Not saying happy, just saying it is what it is.

I think we have a squad that is capable of promotion if we are fit and playing well at the time of playoffs no matter what position we finish in league.

In terms of momentum I was talking about a team being on a winning streak at the time of the playoffs not who had the most games to play. For instance say Dundee Utd started winning and pipped the second bottom team in Premier league on last day of season. They would enter playoffs with momentum behind them.

The good news is that the only way to get that momentum is to win most of our remaining league games, and if we can manage that then we'll finish second which provides the best of both worlds.

The bad news is that it's boom or bust, because if we don't grab that momentum then we'll finish third.

SunshineOnLeith
20-03-2016, 07:38 PM
That hilarious it directly cost us automatic promotion if good enough this year? It wasn't funny at all.

Squad? Momentum? We are dead on our feet playing like fishes out of water.

It was pretty funny, to be fair.

wills
20-03-2016, 07:49 PM
2 wins guarantees a play off spot, get those wins as soon as possible and give Stubbs a chance to rest some players for the play-offs.

hibby6270
20-03-2016, 08:01 PM
2 wins guarantees a play off spot, get those wins as soon as possible and give Stubbs a chance to rest some players for the play-offs.

Agreed. And it also lessens the chances of any silly bookings that could be crucial come playoff time.

Best team available for the semi final against Dundee Utd is a must also.

If it can all be done sensibly, there's a chance we could just do this.

wills
20-03-2016, 08:06 PM

Ronniekirk
20-03-2016, 09:09 PM

We have st mirren away and then Livingstone Home and Alloa away i think So with rested players and a few back from injury we should be capable of winning two of these

hibs0666
21-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Only in the minds of losers.

Niffy
21-03-2016, 06:14 PM
In the mind of stats , experience and current results / form.
It's not defeatist , it's realism.

Keith_M
21-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Has any team that finished in 3rd place ever been promoted under the current play-off system?

:dunno:

rcarter1
21-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Has any team that finished in 3rd place ever been promoted under the current play-off system?

We could set the precedent! :agree:

SJM
21-03-2016, 06:27 PM

There's only been 2 playoffs previously.

rotherhamrob
21-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Personally I don't think the rangers ran out of steam, to me it looked like after they had beat us they thought all they had to do in the 1st leg was turn up, against us they were quite defensive and duly got the job done, against motherwell there were no such tactics, they were truly pumped due to their arrogance and as such had to chase the second leg leaving themselves open to the counter .

Schteff
21-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Not sure, did Hamilton not finish 4th though?

Sir David Gray
21-03-2016, 09:43 PM

Hamilton are the only team so far to have been promoted via the play offs since they were reintroduced in 2013-14 and they were runners up that year.

Motherwell beat Sevco last season to stay up.

I personally don't think a 3rd or 4th placed team will ever be promoted via the play offs, under the current structure.

Marco G
21-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Personally I don't think the rangers ran out of steam, to me it looked like after they had beat us they thought all they had to do in the 1st leg was turn up, against us they were quite defensive and duly got the job done, against motherwell there were no such tactics, they were truly pumped due to their arrogance and as such had to chase the second leg leaving themselves open to the counter . I agree. Choice of training with longish gap between games or playing twice a week could be swings and roundabouts. There have not been enough play off seasons in Scotland to see any pattern. The only objective is to be in the play offs then get on with it tie by tie.

Ronniekirk
21-03-2016, 10:02 PM
Hamilton are the only team so far to have been promoted via the play offs since they were reintroduced in 2013-14 and they were runners up that year.

Motherwell beat Sevco last season to stay up.

I personally don't think a 3rd or 4th placed team will ever be promoted via the play offs, under the current structure.

Agree thats the way it was set up but if we do happen to finish third we havea better chance than other teams of doing it But get to the Cup Final and ot makes it even harder
We are in danger of being the Victims pf our own cup successes

Ironic i But i haven't given up on us doing it but it would be some feat it thats what happened and we pulled it off

Frazerbob
22-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Would we be better placed for the play offs if we rest, rotate and sensibly use the squad but finish 3rd rather than go hell for leather like the last month or so and have a squad full of injuries, suspensions and the rest all completely shattered. A fresh, raring to go squad with an extra couple of games to play may be better positioned than a squad like the current bunch of walking wounded but have managed to scrape 2nd place?

eastterrace
22-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Would we be better placed for the play offs if we rest, rotate and sensibly use the squad but finish 3rd rather than go hell for leather like the last month or so and have a squad full of injuries, suspensions and the rest all completely shattered. A fresh, raring to go squad with an extra couple of games to play may be better positioned than a squad like the current bunch of walking wounded but have managed to scrape 2nd place? maybe take them for a wee sunny break in Spain, bit sun on their back do them wonders

cabbageandribs1875
22-03-2016, 08:08 PM
st.mirren 1 Raith rovers 2 after 65 mins, win and they go 7 points behind us...although with two more games played...beat Morton on sat and it's down to 4 points, i do hope we win our games in hand :greengrin

Ronniekirk
22-03-2016, 08:24 PM
st.mirren 1 Raith rovers 2 after 65 mins, win and they go 7 points behind us...although with two more games played...beat Morton on sat and it's down to 4 points, i do hope we win our games in hand :greengrin

Would be a good result for Rairh and that i kills off any outside chance of st mirren hoping to sneak into top four so given we play st mirren away next its a good barometer for us

Dashing Bob S
22-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Big difference - six cup finals at that stage of the season is a big ask for a team - one was too much for us recently.

I'm much more concerned about turning around our form. I'd rather play fewer games, but I'd rather see us going into them with a good head of steam. We might revive again, but we look pretty much finished right now. The collapse was sudden and so untimely, I'm hoping the resurrection will be ask quick, but happen like NOW.

cabbageandribs1875
22-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Would be a good result for Rairh and that i kills off any outside chance of st mirren hoping to sneak into top four so given we play st mirren away next its a good barometer for us

then st.mirren are away at Falkirk the following game, they are welcome to full points then :)

FT st.mirren 1 RR 2

Alex Rae sent to the stand in the 2nd half

majorhibs
22-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Theres quite a few of turkeys on here that it would be useful if they could get ower their big jealousy of people attending Spain! Seriously!