PDA

View Full Version : Shots on target v goals against

Penicuik Hibee
19-03-2016, 08:40 PM
This week Raith had 2 shots on target and scored 2

Last week RC has 3 shots on target and scored 2.

This has been repeated throughout this season. Even when we have won, the opposition have often scored with their only effort on target.

When have you ever heard anyone say, Oxley saved us or was man of the match.

At the other end, we seem to have plenty of shots but our conversion rate is poor.

Are other teams really that clinical. Are we just unlucky. I wish I knew the answer because it's costing us - big time

Big_Franck
19-03-2016, 08:53 PM
This week Raith had 2 shots on target and scored 2

Last week RC has 3 shots on target and scored 2.

This has been repeated throughout this season. Even when we have won, the opposition have often scored with their only effort on target.

When have you ever heard anyone say, Oxley saved us or was man of the match.

At the other end, we seem to have plenty of shots but our conversion rate is poor.

Are other teams really that clinical. Are we just unlucky. I wish I knew the answer because it's costing us - big time

In a word, no. What we seen tonight has been happening for the best part of two years now under Stubbs. We have a bang average keeper, a defence that makes too many simple mistakes, full backs who have a poor final ball (Gray in particular), some decent midfielders who a lot of the time dominate their opposite number but who don't score goals, and we have strikers who need 3/4 chances each to score.

You can almost predict how a Hibs game is going to pan out against a smaller team now. We are so predictable it's unreal.

Jack
19-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Aye yer right.

I've said it since the start of the season (and the last one) we don't convert as well as the opposition do.

Having said that our defence is pretty frugal. Jason hang your head in shame ... oh you've already done that ;-)

I'm not making any suggestions here but look at Evertons stats. Well maybe I am sort of.

The question is nothing to do with Stubbsy being emptied (he's the man) but rather the inability if two creative, decent teams to convert.

Alfred E Newman
19-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I think most teams know now that Hibs don't score a lot of goals and tend to over play the ball.
Most have realised that if you keep it tight and punt balls into the Hibs box they will eventually hand you a gilt edged opportunity to score.

The Harp Awakes
19-03-2016, 09:15 PM
In a word, no. What we seen tonight has been happening for the best part of two years now under Stubbs. We have a bang average keeper, a defence that makes too many simple mistakes, full backs who have a poor final ball (Gray in particular), some decent midfielders who a lot of the time dominate their opposite number but who don't score goals, and we have strikers who need 3/4 chances each to score.

You can almost predict how a Hibs game is going to pan out against a smaller team now. We are so predictable it's unreal.

Sadly, everything you say is spot on.

Nicho87
19-03-2016, 09:25 PM
No word of a lie. Im not blaming oxley but i cant remember the last time he made a save and you say to yourself what a save or points saved. Average joe goalie and looking like an average team. Season can turn horribly wrong. More negative than positive at moment

pennyhibee
19-03-2016, 09:31 PM
We had Stokes Cummings Keatings El Aligua and Dagnall on show tonight but it seems we need about a dozen chances to score just one while our defence can't seem to stop just a couple of efforts from the opposition There seems to be a bit of headless chicken desperation at the moment

Onceinawhile
19-03-2016, 10:09 PM

Agree with everything except... David Gray has a more recent assist than Lewis. When did he last have a hand in a goal?

Jonnyboy
19-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Agree with everything except... David Gray has a more recent assist than Lewis. When did he last have a hand in a goal?

If you mean Lewis, his cross for the first goal on Wednesday night. If you mean Gray, I've no idea. Several times today he received the ball in acres of space on the right and hit the first defender more often than not

Penicuik Hibee
19-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Gray set up Keatings goal at ER. But having said that, the fact is that Gray is a defensive right back and not many get past him but he is limited going forward. Against teams when we have most of he ball, I actually prefer Boyle as an attacking full back (his best position as he can use his pace), esp when we play 3-5-2

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Gray set up Keatings goal at ER. But having said that, the fact is that Gray is a defensive right back and not many get past him but he is limited going forward. Against teams when we have most of he ball, I actually prefer Boyle as an attacking full back (his best position as he can use his pace), esp when we play 3-5-2There is no WAY you seriously believes this. Gray is the most offensive full back I've ever seen at Easter Road. He is often our furthest man forward. He is pretty poor defensively and often gets caught MIA.

His final ball is also no where near as bad as some people in this thread are saying. Can think of 7/8 goals that have come from him this season, won't be many fullbacks with that many.

crash
19-03-2016, 10:34 PM
If you mean Lewis, his cross for the first goal on Wednesday night. If you mean Gray, I've no idea. Several times today he received the ball in acres of space on the right and hit the first defender more often than not
Gray puts in a quality ball most of the time,laid 3 on a plate today,Stevenson is a hit and hope, 77 mins before he put in a decent cross.

LaMotta
19-03-2016, 10:35 PM
There is no WAY you seriously believes this. Gray is the most offensive full back I've ever seen at Easter Road. He is often our furthest man forward. He is pretty poor defensively and often gets caught MIA.

His final ball is also no where near as bad as some people in this thread are saying. Can think of 7/8 goals that have come from him this season, won't be many fullbacks with that many.

Started his career as a winger as well.

bookert
19-03-2016, 10:38 PM
Gray set up Keatings goal at ER. But having said that, the fact is that Gray is a defensive right back and not many get past him but he is limited going forward. Against teams when we have most of he ball, I actually prefer Boyle as an attacking full back (his best position as he can use his pace), esp when we play 3-5-2 I am old and memory is going, but gray sets up considerably more chances than Stevenson. Who set up Cummings miss today for instance. This post is not a go at Stevenson. I think both our fullbacks get through loads of work up and down the flanks and are good pros. Don't think they are the problem.

Penicuik Hibee
19-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Gray gets forward and works hard. But quality, pace or skill is not really there. Defensively he is strong in the tackle and in general he defends well.
Lewis is much the same. No-one can fault his effort or commitment. He gives 100% every week. Without doubt. But he hasn't been at his best this season.
By comparison, see the impact the Rangers full backs have had this seasons (really pains me to admit that)