PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win the 2015/16 Champions League?

theonlywayisup
19-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Who's going to win the Champions League?

High-On-Hibs
19-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Hertz. Apparently they were resting all of their big stars today against St Johnstone. :cb

fatbloke
19-03-2016, 09:12 PM

Mickey Mouse Competition. Now it's not on council tv name body gives a monkey. Personally hate European football it's boring mostly.

Alfred E Newman
19-03-2016, 09:12 PM
If there was a who cares option I would have ticked that.

bawheid
19-03-2016, 09:13 PM
One of the most boring competitions in competitive sport.

19-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Hearts. What with all those world cup stars they signed.

emerald green
19-03-2016, 09:21 PM

Me too. Not interested. Haven't been for years.

Coco Bryce
19-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Who's in it?

Eyrie
19-03-2016, 11:43 PM
We need a "who gives a f?" option.

Diclonius
20-03-2016, 12:05 AM

This.

Hibernia&Alba
20-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Barcelona are by far the best team in Europe at the moment, and you'd have to fancy them. Aren't they something like forty games unbeaten in all competitions?

Haud oan, I've just seen the Hearts option. Forget Barca :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
20-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Who gives an f.

Golden Bear
20-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Lost interest in the Champions League a couple of years ago. It's a boring format with a predictable outcome.

easty
20-03-2016, 10:34 AM
I like watching the likes of Barca, Bayern and Real play each other. It's no boring at all in my opinion. The best footballers in the world against the best footballers in the world. How's that boring?

Barca will win it.

eastterrace
20-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I like watching the likes of Barca, Bayern and Real play each other. It's no boring at all in my opinion. The best footballers in the world against the best footballers in the world. How's that boring? Barca will win it. it's just re runs of previous boring games . I barely watch it now

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 10:44 AM
I like watching the likes of Barca, Bayern and Real play each other. It's no boring at all in my opinion. The best footballers in the world against the best footballers in the world. How's that boring?

Barca will win it.

Agreed, great to watch the best in the world

Bostonhibby
20-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Hearts. What with all those world cup stars they signed.

Its like 2008 all over again. At this rate it will quickly become another special relationship cup.

easty
20-03-2016, 10:50 AM
it's just re runs of previous boring games . I barely watch it now

Re-runs of previous games. Like all football then. What football isn't just the same teams playing each other every year? Except with the champions league, the players are better.

Mr White
20-03-2016, 06:52 PM
I'd like to see wolfsburg progress but i know it's unlikely. I hope zlatan scores a few against man city.

Silky
20-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Don't care. No interest in it. It's no even a champions league anyway anymore. Totally devalued imo as teams finishing fourth in their league can gain entry and even win the thing. And their whole billy bigbaws attitude about banning live tv games when the Champions League is on stinks.

Michael
20-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Champions League has really gone down hill over the past 10 years or so. Far too many clubs qualifying from the top leagues (sorry Arsene!) and the latter stages are the same every year (Bayern/Barcelona/Real).

If there were fewer games (straight knockout tournament) and only the champions of each European country qualifying I'm certain that TV ratings would improve. I would certainly watch that anyway.

brianmc
20-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Agreed, great to watch the best in the world

Of course I get the whole "it's no really the champions" argument - but I thoroughly enjoy watching the best teams/players in the world faced off against each other.
I'm hoping for a Barça win, though Bayern look strong too.
Whilst Madrid are running out of 'diddy' teams to be luckily paired with after this round..

brianmc
20-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Champions League has really gone down hill over the past 10 years or so. Far too many clubs qualifying from the top leagues (sorry Arsene!) and the latter stages are the same every year (Bayern/Barcelona/Real).

If there were fewer games (straight knockout tournament) and only the champions of each European country qualifying I'm certain that TV ratings would improve. I would certainly watch that anyway.

So if the Maltese league winners were facing the champs from Azerbaijan (for example) you'd be more likely to take out a BT sport subscription to watch that rather than say Man utd v Real Madrid? And you also believe most of the world's population would agree with your sentiment (as you say the TV ratings would improve)? I'd have to take a leaf out of Mark Warburton's book and respectfully disagree!

kaimendhibs
20-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Can't be bothered with it to be honest

Hibernia&Alba
20-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Two votes for Man City thus far but none for Real Madrid? Somebody is having a laugh.

Michael
20-03-2016, 07:37 PM
So if the Maltese league winners were facing the champs from Azerbaijan (for example) you'd be more likely to take out a BT sport subscription to watch that rather than say Man utd v Real Madrid? And you also believe most of the world's population would agree with your sentiment (as you say the TV ratings would improve)? I'd have to take a leaf out of Mark Warburton's book and respectfully disagree!

Supply and demand. Games will be more valuable if there are fewer of them.

I think it would be far more interesting to see a bit of variety in the tournament, and I think that's a sentiment many would share.

AndyM_1875
20-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Couldnae give a toss about the Champions League.
Boring UEFA peddled tosh to ensure rich clubs from rich leagues stay rich.

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Of course I get the whole "it's no really the champions" argument - but I thoroughly enjoy watching the best teams/players in the world faced off against each other.
I'm hoping for a Barça win, though Bayern look strong too.
Whilst Madrid are running out of 'diddy' teams to be luckily paired with after this round..

You can hate the format, but surely any person who proclaims to be a fan of football has to enjoy the majority of the games, particularly so in the later stages.

Mr White
20-03-2016, 07:52 PM
You can hate the format, but surely any person who proclaims to be a fan of football has to enjoy the majority of the games, particularly so in the later stages.

Indeed. Best players in the world doing their thing. Bring it on.

Eyrie
20-03-2016, 08:09 PM

I just can't get into it. I have no feelings for (or against) any of the teams involved so end up losing interest. There will be the occasional good game that would have been worth watching, but there are enough dull matches that I'd rather spend my time doing something else.

Since90+2
20-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Hoping for a final of Bayern v Barcelona as they are the best two teams in the world at the moment for me. Certainly not a match I would describe as boring.

Can't see past Barcelona , if they get past Atletico who will push them all the way over 2 legs.

SkintHibby
20-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Champions League is boring.

What I'd give to go back to the good old days of the European Cup. I loved European football back then.

The European Cup, The Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup was the proper way to do it!

Pretty Boy
20-03-2016, 08:51 PM

I think that's the problem for me, I'm not really a fan of football. I appreciate what guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Robben etc do but it doesn't excite me in any way.

I'm a Hibs fan with a soft spot for Newcastle. On that basis I take an interest in games involving my clubs and our rivals. Outwith that I really couldn't care less about football, that's a feeling that has grown over the years. Barcelona v Bayern genuinely holds less interest for me than a decent TV series on Netflix. I can say hand on heart I haven't watched a single Champions League game in full in the last 3 seasons.

hibby6270
20-03-2016, 09:10 PM
I think that's the problem for me, I'm not really a fan of football. I appreciate what guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Robben etc do but it doesn't excite me in any way.

I'm a Hibs fan with a soft spot for Newcastle. On that basis I take an interest in games involving my clubs and our rivals. Outwith that I really couldn't care less about football, that's a feeling that has grown over the years. Barcelona v Bayern genuinely holds less interest for me than a decent TV series on Netflix. I can say hand on heart I haven't watched a single Champions League game in full in the last 3 seasons.

With you on that. Don't watch games every week but have to say the one I did last week - Bayern v Juventus - was a cracker.

Mr White
20-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Having bt sports I've taken much more of an interest in it this season than i have for years and I've really enjoyed both the cl and europa league. My boy has enjoyed some of the earlier games and the first half of some later ones too before his bedtime.

Yes there's lot to criticise about eufa and the commercial stitch up but for me that doesn't take the gloss off the entertainment of watching messi weaving through a defence and chipping a keeper or costa crossing for lewandowski to finish in style. Quality football is worth watching and from what I've seen this season the champions league very much still offers it.

SJM
20-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Barca. Couldn't give a **** though. Even more it's not even on sky anymore.

brianmc
20-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Aye. I was actually agreeing with you but meant also meant to quote one of the previous posts!

ihibs7
20-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Man city. Really. They have s nucleus of players and no interest in any other competition. Got the easy draw too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
20-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Bring back the old format of the European Cup with Cup winners being entered with the league winners this time.

Each country gets 4 places in the Europa League. :aok:

Pete
21-03-2016, 03:10 AM

Don't get me wrong, they are the best footballers in the world and when they all play against each other the skills on show and the matches are breathtaking.

How many teams do this elite bunch of players play for though? Realistically, how many teams have a chance of winning the tournament?

It's becoming less about pride in shirts and identities tied to geographical locations and more to do with individuals entertaining a TV audience within a limited framework.

Barcelona, Madrid, Munich...again. Football is also about tribalism and you need a bit of variety.

Just Jimmy
21-03-2016, 10:17 AM
Leicester, next season.

WeeRussell
21-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Still waiting for someone to come onto the thread to say they don't care...

Barcelona for me. Want & think.

Viva Catalunya :greengrin

Bronson
21-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Barca looking untouchable right now, fancy them to stroll it again.