PDA

View Full Version : Playoff - realistic outcome

H18 SFR
19-03-2016, 07:26 PM
I've been uber positive re our chances of coming through the playoffs, until tonight.

For me, I'm now struggling to see how we will, firstly, beat Raith over two legs. If we do, we then need to beat Falkirk over two legs. What puts it in perspective is that we then have to beat a Premiership club, most likely Killie who are hardly firing on any cylinders yet seem tough to beat - they rarely lose by more than one and looked pretty improved today vs Celtic.

I feel we will beat Dundee Utd so we need to throw a cup final in for consideration.

This season is imploding and I'm afraid to say I want promotion over a cup win. I can't face another season in this league.

greenpaper55
19-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Why should anything change ? are we just kidding teams on that we will turn up in the play offs ? An utter disgrace which has been disguised by our cup runs.

JJP
19-03-2016, 07:32 PM
We need to finish second to stand any chance in the play off. Team is already knackered so playing 6 play off games in three weeks would be a nightmare. I'm seriously starting to worry about a third season in this league. Doesn't bare thinking about.

H18 SFR
19-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Why should anything change ? are we just kidding teams on that we will turn up in the play offs ? An utter disgrace which has been disguised by our cup runs.

For me the realisation has set in, it is highly likely this is all going to end tits up big time. The alarm bells are ringing loudly tonight in this house.

Hi Heid Yin
19-03-2016, 07:35 PM
You are not alone in thinking that we will struggle in the playoffs.
Our struggles to score more than 1 goal a game has been evident for some time.
Those early season 1-0 victories were achieved on the back of a mean defence. A defence which is now powder puff against mediocre sides.
The cup runs have been welcomed but not at the cost of promotion.
Our league form has become an embarrassment. 4 recent defeats against mediocre championship sides suggests something has gone fundamentally wrong.

Jim44
19-03-2016, 07:35 PM
I've been uber positive re our chances of coming through the playoffs, until tonight.

For me, I'm now struggling to see how we will, firstly, beat Raith over two legs. If we do, we then need to beat Falkirk over two legs. What puts it in perspective is that we then have to beat a Premiership club, most likely Killie who are hardly firing on any cylinders yet seem tough to beat - they rarely lose by more than one and looked pretty improved today vs Celtic.

I feel we will beat Dundee Utd so we need to throw a cup final in for consideration.

This season is imploding and I'm afraid to say I want promotion over a cup win. I can't face another season in this league.

:agree: entirely. I couldn't give a toss about the Scottish Cup. We are a seriously mediocre Championship side, based on the last four or five results, and our chances of promotion are well below 50-50.

coldingham hibs
19-03-2016, 07:36 PM
It makes no difference if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Two extra games isn't major, what is worrying is all the teams we could meet, Morton, QOS, Raith have all recently beaten us and know how to beat us.

A new game plan needs to be introduced.

Pete
I still think we'll finish second. Jase puts that away, our tails go up and we probably go on to score a winner.

Still games to be played so it's not over. Even if we do finish third we still have a good chance.

Tin hat on for being positive I suppose. :rolleyes:

paddy1875
This is slowly turning into a blueprint season from us, do well till Feb/March then completely nose dive afterwards. Absolutely murder! I thought this team had turned it around

Joe6-2
19-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Those early season 1-0 victories were achieved on the back of a mean defence. A defence which is now powder puff against mediocre sides.
Our league form has become an embarrassment. 4 recent defeats against mediocre championship sides suggests something has gone fundamentally wrong.
This, in spades!

CallumHibs07
19-03-2016, 07:37 PM
The realistic outcome is we're staying down.

Islington Hibs
19-03-2016, 07:39 PM

We are being hit by too many games, injury, suspensions etc. That is not an excuse as our squad should have been deep enough to cope. It is pretty critical we get second as it would be a very big ask to win against Raith then Falkirk then Kilmarnock (or quite possibly a resurgent Dundee Utd who may yet scrape through.)

Assuming our confidence is not shot and we are fairly injury free you would have to give us a 66% chance of beating Raith over two legs. Unless we are playing an on form Dundeed Utd, Falkirk is the tough one - 50 -50 call really then if Killie I would probably fancy our chances. If you do the math it is probably about 1-4 or 1-3 from here.

Alfred E Newman

The fact the the most goals we have scored in this pathetic league is 3 says it all.
QOS scored 6 today Morton 4 and they are two of the poorer teams in the league.

coldingham hibs

We only need to win 3 games to get through the play offs, worse case, as long as we score 1 more than our opponents.

Jim44
I still think we'll finish second. Jase puts that away, our tails go up and we probably go on to score a winner.

Still games to be played so it's not over. Even if we do finish third we still have a good chance.

Fasten that hat, Peter. The bedwetters are justifiably taking over.

Pete
19-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Fasten that hat, Peter. The bedwetters are justifiably taking over.

Bedwetters...realists...either way I'm off. :greengrin

Jim44
19-03-2016, 07:43 PM
The realistic outcome is we're staying down.

Spot on, and if we stay down, we'll be down for years. It's a case of ever-decreasing circles.

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Recent league form is woeful, but it could pick up just as quickly as it fell away. Anything can happen in the play offs. All Stubbs and the squad can do is work hard and give it everything, then let's see where we are at the end of the season. It's all hypothetical just now, and I'm confident form will pick up before the play offs.

Islington Hibs
19-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Spot on, and if we stay down, we'll be down for years. It's a case of ever-decreasing circles.

Unlikely- next season could also be tough depending on who else is down but we should have the resources to get back- our support base remains several times bigger than any other club in the division, bar Rangers.

This season is not over yet either- its not looking good now, but frankly we should have the players to do the business if the mental attitude is right, and we can keep the heid.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Who knows?

I still hope we can get out act together but the only real excuse for our results and performances I keep reading is that we are tired.

If we accept that as the case then it's only going to get worse as opposed to better. With that in mind I think we are in trouble.

rcarter1
19-03-2016, 07:52 PM

Im with you in as much as we could have turned that game around quite easily.

If we finish third however, I wouldn't go so far as to say we have a -good- chance. Id say around 4 to 1. Ill be there though. If we can regain our composure and get the bit between the teeth, 2nd is still on, and so are the play-offs.

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 07:53 PM
I still think Hibs will finish 2nd and win the play offs.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 07:54 PM

I hope you are right because I don't think we have a hope in hell of finishing 2nd right now.

SJM
19-03-2016, 07:56 PM

No chance mate.

allmodcons
19-03-2016, 07:57 PM
On current form, we have absolutely no chance of making it through the play offs.

I wouldn't fancy us against Morton, Raith or Falkirk over 2 legs, let alone Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd.

We have become an embarrassment in a league full of mediocre teams.

I'm not usually one for knee jerk reactions, but IMO Stubbs struggles tactically and, for me, has to get the bullet if he fails to get us out of this league.

He has more resources than any club in the Championship apart from Sevco and, so far, is failing miserably.

Absolutely fuming with the performance tonight. Team loses its shape far too easily and too many players think they're better than they are.

Just look at the winner for Ross County last week. With minutes to go in a cup final the priority is to keep your shape but we were all over the place and, ultimately, paid for it.

For what it's worth, I sincerely hope we turn the corner before the play offs but, realistically, think we're doomed to another year in this god awful league.

GlasgowHibee
19-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Falkirk come from 2-0 down to beat Rangers 3-2 meanwhile we lose after being one up to Raith Rovers? Raith ****ing Rovers? We're a shambles, I can't believe there's another chance of us playing in the championship again.

chrisski33
I dunno how anyone can predict how we will get on or where we finish tbh. We can beat inverness then stumble against inverness? Forget thinking we can beat dundee utd we need to sort out the league. Id like to know how the strikers are training as too much sitters and chances arent being taken!

MWHIBBIES
No chance mate.Physically impossible.

rcarter1
19-03-2016, 08:00 PM
We are being hit by too many games, injury, suspensions etc. That is not an excuse as our squad should have been deep enough to cope. It is pretty critical we get second as it would be a very big ask to win against Raith then Falkirk then Kilmarnock (or quite possibly a resurgent Dundee Utd who may yet scrape through.)

Assuming our confidence is not shot and we are fairly injury free you would have to give us a 66% chance of beating Raith over two legs. Unless we are playing an on form Dundeed Utd, Falkirk is the tough one - 50 -50 call really then if Killie I would probably fancy our chances. If you do the math it is probably about 1-4 or 1-3 from here.

Im coming to similar odds for promotion - but Id give Killie more chance to beat us than you give. Anyway, I am well prepared for a third season down here.. I wouldn't want to see Stubbs formations/tactics for another season if that was the case.

SJM
19-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Physically impossible.

Tonight's the night the resignation happens that we will be down here next year.

About ten years ago I remember is going to Starks park on a Tuesday in the league cup and Brewster scored a couple, we played ***** on the night but class showed and we where better. Tonight we met our match at this level. It's completely gutting how far we have fallen and the most disappointing part is it's not unexpected.

Just Alf
19-03-2016, 08:02 PM
It makes no difference if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Two extra games isn't major, what is worrying is all the teams we could meet, Morton, QOS, Raith have all recently beaten us and know how to beat us.

A new game plan needs to be introduced.
Agree with this to an extent..and despite what a couple of mates have said, I'm gonna continue to support the team and as a result will be renewing my season as I see that as our best way forward, to do otherwise is to resign ourselves to where we are for the foreseable.

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Spike Mandela
19-03-2016, 08:04 PM
The playoffs are a lottery for every team in them. Form, luck, injuries, skill, refereeing decisions, mistakes, and goals all combine to decide the winner. Unpredictable and not worth worrying about just now.

The form we were in two months ago you couldn't predict these current results in the same way you can't predict our form and results two months from now.

bawheid
19-03-2016, 08:04 PM

That's the spirit. Add the cup to that. Jase to score the winner in off the underside of the bar. :wink:

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Another year in this division looms. No ifs or buts about it.
hibs have been ***** since xmas, no way we'll win 3 2-leg play-offs, and if by some lucky chance hibs finish 2nd, they still wont win 2!

forget about the cup too .... maybe, just maybe beat utd, but no way hibs will win against the glasgow lot in the final.

hibsed it. AGAIN

Pete
19-03-2016, 08:06 PM
hibs have been ***** since xmas, no way we'll win 3 2-leg play-offs, and if by some lucky chance hibs finish 2nd, they still wont win 2!

forget about the cup too .... maybe, just maybe beat utd, but no way hibs will win against the glasgow lot in the final.

hibsed it. AGAIN

"Hibsed it"?

GTF.

pennyhibee
19-03-2016, 08:06 PM
most people seem to think if we finish 3rd we won't beat Falkirk So does that mean if Falkirk finish 3rd they won't beat us

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 08:07 PM
That's the spirit. Add the cup to that. Jase to score the winner in off the underside of the bar. :wink:

I've calmed down now 😁👍🏼

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Jason done the business in the playoffs we all know he can score goals in big games.

Clear your PM's, tried to message you just now.

ancient hibee
19-03-2016, 08:07 PM

hibsed it. AGAIN

You are a little ray of sunshine.

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 08:08 PM

hibsed it. AGAIN

Sniff, sniff...

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:10 PM
You are a little ray of sunshine.

Dont bloody feel like it thats for sure

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Sniff, sniff...

Oh oh oh, somebody said a bad thing about hibs, they surely cant support them.

F*** off, its called reality and anger

bawheid
19-03-2016, 08:11 PM
I've calmed down now 😁👍🏼

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Jason done the business in the playoffs we all know he can score goals in big games.

Clear your PM's, tried to message you just now.

Can't seem to delete PM's on my phone?

Assume you were just messaging me to apologise? :greengrin

Don't worry about it. Passions run high and when Hibs and adversity goes together my first instinct is to defend the team.

SJM
19-03-2016, 08:12 PM

hibsed it. AGAIN

What a Lithuanian Banker you are chum 👍

SJM
19-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Hibs it aye? That's a fannyish comment when we are all hurting!

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Hibs it aye? That's a fannyish comment when we are all hurting!

you're right, i retract that comment.

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 08:15 PM

I get the anger I was the same 20 mins ago. But sacking Stubbs now would be very stupid.

Schteff
19-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Falkirk will beat us over 2 legs

Nicho87
19-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Based on performances / results in last 5 weeks id say we'd do well to finish second. If you say otherwise i assume you have been on planet mars during this time.

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Falkirk will beat us over 2 legs

This. spot on.
In fairness though, thats in praise of falkirk. they're the best team in the league at the moment.

JJP
19-03-2016, 08:18 PM

hibsed it. AGAIN

Jeez, they're not even trying to hide their true colours these days...

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Can't seem to delete PM's on my phone?

Assume you were just messaging me to apologise? :greengrin

Don't worry about it. Passions run high and when Hibs and adversity goes together my first instinct is to defend the team.

I was actually so I'll do it here, there was no need for me to slate Jason like that and then to have a go at you. No wonder you called me a clown, think my missus would give you a high five for that 😁

Think it all built up after a pretty horrible week for me. Anyway no excuses so sorry for that.

I truly believe we'll go up btw and this can all be put to bed and we can get back to top flight football. 👍🏼

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2016, 08:20 PM
The playoffs are a lottery for every team in them. Form, luck, injuries, skill, refereeing decisions, mistakes, and goals all combine to decide the winner. Unpredictable and not worth worrying about just now.

The form we were in two months ago you couldn't predict these current results in the same way you can't predict our form and results two months from now.

Exactly. The teams will be closely matched and a million contingencies could affect the outcome. Tonight the outlook is bleak; a few weeks ago it looked great. Things could easily change again by the time the play off begin. We just don't know what will happen. All we can do is wait until we know, then we can have a forensic examination of how we've done, the manager's future, the players' futures etc.

lucky
19-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Hibs will finish 2nd and will get promoted. We will also get to the cup final. There's no way that Stubbs will get sacked even if we don't get promoted

Benny Brazil
19-03-2016, 08:21 PM
This. spot on.
In fairness though, thats in praise of falkirk. they're the best team in the league at the moment.

You support Hibs - yes?

bawheid
I was actually so I'll do it here, there was no need for me to slate Jason like that and then to have a go at you. No wonder you called me a clown, think my missus would give you a high five for that 😁

Think it all built up after a pretty horrible week for me. Anyway no excuses so sorry for that.

I truly believe we'll go up btw and this can all be put to bed and we can get back to top flight football. 👍🏼

No problem whatsoever. :aok:

Onwards together.

Hibernia&Alba
I was actually so I'll do it here, there was no need for me to slate Jason like that and then to have a go at you. No wonder you called me a clown, think my missus would give you a high five for that 

I truly believe we'll go up btw and this can all be put to bed and we can get back to top flight football. 

Takes a big man to apologise. We're all angry tonight, but nothing has been decided yet. :aok:

SteveHFC
19-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Anyone else fear if we don't get promoted. It'll feel worse than 2 years ago?

Thecat23
19-03-2016, 08:23 PM
No problem whatsoever. :aok:

Onwards together.

Exactly 👍🏼

Schteff
19-03-2016, 08:24 PM

Depends what happens in the Scottish

One Day Soon

hibsed it. AGAIN

Shouldn't you be outside Tynie looking for poppy cans to knock over and demanding Neilson's resignation?

Thecat23
Takes a big man to apologise. We're all angry tonight, but nothing has been decided yet. :aok:

Yep plenty to play for and I'm not chucking in the towel just yet. 👍🏼

Just Alf
19-03-2016, 08:25 PM

hibsed it. AGAIN
Hibsded it blew it for me..what were you thinking!!!!
... the reality is we've got to finals etc over the years, yeah we've been beat, but never EVER "just capitulated".... flip side is our brethren across town... it seems, is something they excel at!... OK the '86 situation is an obvious one ( let's remember they WERE on a roll and should have been on easy street) but even as recently as a few weeks ago ... 2 up with 10 mins to go and end up.in a replay and losing the tie to a.lower league team! Ha ha ha ha!

Reality is that that Yams drive to.get "hibsed" into the Oxford dictionary truly shows how much they are now defined by us and they just can't handle how we are ahead of them on so many levels, ..... who has the best stadium?. Who has the biggest home support at tyncastle this season, who has the best fan ownership model (no 7% being siphoned off) etc etc

So despite it all, I'm SO glad to.be a Hibbie!

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

rcarter1
19-03-2016, 08:30 PM

I think we feel more under the cosh this time round. I am more prepared for not going up than last time. Im over it already because it seems odds on that we will be here next season. Anything else is a bonus, and it will be like a mini cup tournament. Its achievable, just not very likely.

Really how bad can it be. If by next season, we work out a system for beating this league, we may even get to watch a team score goals before returning to the SPL.

Onion
19-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Forget the Playoffs. The sheer effort the team has put into the cup have completely screwed us - and will continue to. Our main players and the squad's confidence will be shot by the time we get to the end of April, just trying to squeeze into 2nd place. We'll have zero in the tank to compete, and Falkirk or the Prem side will just pick us off. Time for a reality check !

Put everything into 2 games for immortality. With the right application, focus and preparation, this Hibs team can beat DUFC and either one of the misfiring Old Firm. Win the Scottish Cup and even the most hard nose Hibby will forgive us another season in the lower leagues. And IMO crowds and ST would be well up too.

We might never have a better chance to with the SC.

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 08:50 PM
We are a much better team now than we were when Hamilton beat us in the play offs.

We will get to the play offs and the Scottish cup final. When the play offs start its effectively a complete reset and by then I expect we will have most if not all of our currently injured players back. That alone will make us a much, much stronger side. The amount of game time Stokes will have had by then should see him scoring goals for fun.

I'm expecting the Cup and promotion.

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:52 PM
anger has subsided a little.
sorry for the hibsed it comment.

GGTTH

marty_boy
19-03-2016, 08:53 PM
we need to beat Falkirk in the play offs and stop them from going up instead of us, they have a plastic pitch, they will probably end up finishing about 9th if they even did go up and we're better than them if we stop panic stations every match and I don't know what we do between matches

marty_boy
19-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Maybe the only thing that worries me about the playoffs is that the only reason in my eyes that Falkirk and Killie are both hard to beat is that they have shoddy plastic pitches and train on those unforgiving surfaces every day which gives them an advantage on them

19-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Falkirk will not fear us.

Toldo123
19-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Anybody that uses the term hibsed it is not a hibs man and should be banned !!!

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Only hope of hibs going up this year is finishing 2nd imo, as 3 games over 2-legs will be too much. So they really need to get the finger out!

Look at them last year .... they beat a good QOS side over 2 legs, then beat a good hibs team over 2 legs, and hibs finished above rangers mind.
But then they ******ed it against a really really poor motherwell team in the 3rd game.

It was just too much over a 2/3 week period. And it will again be for whoever finishes 3rd/4th this year.
It has to be 2nd!!

Benny Brazil
19-03-2016, 09:01 PM
anger has subsided a little.
sorry for the hibsed it comment.

GGTTH

We Hibs supporters are all angry and disappointed - but none of us use the word "hibsed".

Jim44
19-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Forget the Playoffs. The sheer effort the team has put into the cup have completely screwed us - and will continue to. Our main players and the squad's confidence will be shot by the time we get to the end of April, just trying to squeeze into 2nd place. We'll have zero in the tank to compete, and Falkirk or the Prem side will just pick us off. Time for a reality check !

Put everything into 2 games for immortality. With the right application, focus and preparation, this Hibs team can beat DUFC and either one of the misfiring Old Firm. Win the Scottish Cup and even the most hard nose Hibby will forgive us another season in the lower leagues. And IMO crowds and ST would be well up too.

We might never have a better chance to with the SC.

We are a much better team now than we were when Hamilton beat us in the play offs.
We will get to the play offs and the Scottish cup final. When the play offs start its effectively a complete reset and by then I expect we will have most if not all of our currently injured players back. That alone will make us a much, much stronger side. The amount of game time Stokes will have had by then should see him scoring goals for fun.

I'm expecting the Cup and promotion.

Absolute drivel.

Hi Heid Yin
19-03-2016, 09:06 PM
The play offs are indeed a lottery. Too many factors involved, which at this present time none of us can see or predict (ie injuries, suspensions, dodgy decisions, luck/bad luck, form at the time).
Falkirk could just as easily be hit by one or more factors during the actual play offs. We hopefully will have key players back, so anything and everything is likely to happen.
It's rather exciting if I'm being honest. Worse case scenario is that we win the Scottish Cup and miss out on promotion. If this occurs then I'll be a relatively content Hibby and will grudgingly accept another season in the 2nd tier.

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 09:08 PM
We Hibs supporters are all angry and disappointed - but none of us use the word "hibsed".

I apologised for that.

I think I used that word, because I was hurting, and it reduced me to that to try and prove a that point.
I could've and should've proved it better.

I apologise again, it won't happen again.

Sunshine Scott
19-03-2016, 09:10 PM
The play offs are indeed a lottery. Too many factors involved, which at this present time none of us can see or predict (ie injuries, suspensions, dodgy decisions, luck/bad luck, form at the time).
Falkirk could just as easily be hit by one or more factors during the actual play offs. We hopefully will have key players back, so anything and everything is likely to happen.
It's rather exciting if I'm being honest. Worse case scenario is that we win the Scottish Cup and miss out on promotion. If this occurs then I'll be a relatively content Hibby and will grudgingly accept another season in the 2nd tier.

How is that a worse case scenario? Surely that's is one of the best.
Worst case is surely lose the semi, and then lose the playoff?

essexhibee
19-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Were never going up IMO. Breaks my heart to say it. We've fallen to pieces and I don't think we have enough to even get past the first stage which at this rate is looking like Raith. Four defeats in a row in this league is indefensible and a utter disgrace.

A season that had such promise two months ago will end with no cup and no promotion in my opinion.

Hi Heid Yin
19-03-2016, 09:14 PM
How is that a worse case scenario? Surely that's is one of the best.
Worst case is surely lose the semi, and then lose the playoff?

I say worst case scenario because promotion for me is the priority over a Scottish Cup win. Promotion is the best case scenario. I feel we will win the Scottish cup!
I hope this makes sense! lol

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Absolute drivel.

Really, which bit?

Ronster117
19-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Very disappointing few games,due to injuries....players not getting rested makes them tired.. I know they are professional footballers and should be able to play every game, it's emotional strength too, once we get players back our fortunes will turn, I'm going for 2nd in the league and maybe another cup final. Keep the faith. GGTTH

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:23 PM

It isn't a word. It is meaningless crap.

hibby6270
19-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Depends what happens in the Scottish

That depends on your perspective.

Winning the Cup would be superb but it would be tainted somewhat by the realistic prospect of another season in this league. And let's face it, by the time the cup final comes round, we'll pretty much know our league fate.

If we've lost out in the playoffs by then, what guarantee do we have the players will be in the right frame of mind to play, let alone win, a cup final.

53 years experience of realism talking here. The rest of you will soon see it this way. Trust me.

Jim44
19-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Really, which bit?

All of it.

hibby6270
19-03-2016, 09:32 PM

You're banned!!:na na::na na:

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:33 PM
All of it.

Now you're just talking angry pi5h

Toldo123
19-03-2016, 09:33 PM
You're banned!!:na na::na na:
Ha ha

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
19-03-2016, 09:38 PM

I agree. It is a Jambo expression!

ronaldo7
19-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I'd put all my eggs in the basket that says, Hanlon, McGeough, and Hendo back in the side for all our games that matter in the final few weeks of the season will see us come through.

Those who think we can't need not apply for the scarf.

GGTTH

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:41 PM
I'd put all my eggs in the basket that says, Hanlon, McGeough, and Hendo back in the side for all our games that matter in the final few weeks of the season will see us come through.

Those who think we can't need not apply for the scarf.

GGTTH

FFS, I'm about to agree with you for the first time ever.

ronaldo7
19-03-2016, 09:43 PM

:tsk tsk::tee hee:

Schteff
19-03-2016, 09:44 PM
That depends on your perspective.

Winning the Cup would be superb but it would be tainted somewhat by the realistic prospect of another season in this league. And let's face it, by the time the cup final comes round, we'll pretty much know our league fate.

If we've lost out in the playoffs by then, what guarantee do we have the players will be in the right frame of mind to play, let alone win, a cup final.

53 years experience of realism talking here. The rest of you will soon see it this way. Trust me.

I'd take another season down if we win the Scottish.

114 years of waiting for it, I'm sure we can wait just ONE more season to go back up

bawheid
19-03-2016, 09:45 PM

The oddest thing about Hibs.net is that you find yourself 100% on the same page as certain posters on the main forum while completely diametrically opposed to the very same posters on the holy ground forum.

Ya unionist ****. :wink:

hibby6270
19-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Loving the optimism 'Onion' and ' One day soon'.

I fear Both of you, along with me, will be one of the smaller band of regulars next season though.

I hope I'm wrong but reality is it's going to take a hell of a miracle for your happy ending to come about.

We all love a happy ending but this is Hibs we are talking about. They very rarely happen.

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:46 PM
The oddest thing about Hibs.net is that you find yourself 100% on the same page as certain posters on the main forum while completely diametrically opposed to the very same posters on the holy ground forum.

I completely agree, you deluded Nat fool. :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
19-03-2016, 09:48 PM

:aok: :greengrin

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Shut it you Unionist *****. Oh, wait a minute...

ronaldo7
19-03-2016, 09:51 PM

I completely agree, you deluded Nat fool. :greengrin

:faf: Only the Holy ones ken the score.:aok:

Mibbes Aye
19-03-2016, 09:53 PM

My thoughts at the time :agree:

In the frenzy of feeding messageboards 24/7 , we tend to lose perspective - over the season we win some, we lose some, sometimes we deserve it, sometimes we don't.

Same as every other team.

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:53 PM
:faf: Only the Holy ones ken the score.:aok:

Mmm, Holy Clappers - this could work.

Jim44
19-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Now you're just talking angry pi5h

Well for a start, I don't think for a second that an unlikely SC win, without promotion, would keep the troops as happy as Onion seems to think.

Secondly, your comment - We are a much better team now than we were when Hamilton beat us in the play offs. We will get to the play offs and the Scottish cup final. When the play offs start its effectively a complete reset and by then I expect we will have most if not all of our currently injured players back. That alone will make us a much, much stronger side. The amount of game time Stokes will have had by then should see him scoring goals for fun.

......... Yes, we're a better team now. But not good enough, it seems, to beat so called minnows. I don't think many teams, let alone us, can reverse the trend we have set in the league over the past few weeks so your so-called reset is highly unlikely. Your optimism about the expected improvement is questionable and I wouldn't depend on Stokes as our saviour. ............ pi5h in your eyes, maybe, but not angry pi5h ....... I'll accept realistic and resigned pi5h. :greengrin

scm70nyd1973
19-03-2016, 10:40 PM
The only crumb of comfort that I have this morning ((time difference as I live in NZ) is that the play offs are basically like a cup competition and unlike in the league so far we have demonstrated this season we can hanlde that (one offs and two legs if you allow for a replay) - I have conveniently set aside the fact that we bombed in the final which might well equate to a game against Killie or the Arabs or many cup finals over many years ! Another season in this pants league would break my heart even from this side of the world - drop in season ticket sales, reduced walk ups, players leaving, attracting dross etc etc. I am no footballing expert but I am starting to think that the style of football we are being given just doesn't work in this league - I am sure that we might have a better chance in the top league but in this one it just seems that we need to charge at the opposition and force them into errors and score more goals than them - pretty football plays into clogger's hands - who knows but I repeat I am no expert. GGTTH

Zazu62
19-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Do the bookies have a price for us getting promoted ??

Borderhibbie76
19-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Hibs will finish 2nd and will get promoted. We will also get to the cup final. There's no way that Stubbs will get sacked even if we don't get promoted
I like stubbs but do now believe if we don't go up he has to go...he can't get a 3rd chance at this. The only thing that would save him if we don't go up is an unlikely Scottish cup win (which I don't see happening tbh). I'm normally Mr positive when it comes to Hibs but sitting watching that in Kirkcaldy tonight was hard to take...and 4 defeats in and row in this sh### league is totally unacceptable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
19-03-2016, 11:35 PM
We need to finish second to stand any chance in the play off. Team is already knackered so playing 6 play off games in three weeks would be a nightmare. I'm seriously starting to worry about a third season in this league. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Correct :agree:

Ronniekirk
19-03-2016, 11:39 PM

Or as Economists would say The Law of Diminishing Returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
19-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Or as Economists would say The Law of Diminishing Returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just as well there's a bit more to football than economics and pessimism.

Eyrie
19-03-2016, 11:57 PM
It's just as well there's a bit more to football than economics and pessimism.

There's always blind faith and groundless optimism, varying combinations of which have kept me going for almost five decades. That won't change for me over the next few weeks/months/years/decades.

leggeto
20-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Think we will beat Hamilton in the playoffs, getting past Falkirk will be harder but

Steve20
20-03-2016, 12:20 AM
We'd probably beat 2nd bottom of the Premier League. Problem is I see next to no chance of us getting to that stage. Cummings needs a word with himself about his level of finishing and Stubbs needs to re-think his tactics. It's predictable and frankly becoming horrible to watch. He's got until the playoffs to sort himself out, but he'll need to change quickly.

Fergos
20-03-2016, 12:35 AM
There's always blind faith and groundless optimism, varying combinations of which have kept me going for almost five decades. That won't change for me over the next few weeks/months/years/decades.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Brilliant, made me laugh on a tough day. Sums up my ongoing lifetime as a Hibee also.

GGTTH

GreenCastle
20-03-2016, 12:38 AM
While I have posted on several threads that I'm not happy with team selection and not playing 3-5-2..

I still think we have a decent chance of going up. Our home form has been pretty good and I feel come the playoffs the players will focus more.

We do need to change our game plan though as our style of play has been worked out by others and the balance of the team isn't right.

I think we will also get to the final...who we will play and how that will go who knows..

I think we will also get to the final stages of the playoffs but then the final 2 games we will need to do something pretty special to come through them.

Bay Area Hibees
20-03-2016, 12:39 AM

No. If we stay down we go up next year. Guaranteed. Unless we implode and lose players staff etc.

Been unfortunate to be in leagues with that mob and sevco.

Not an excuse but reality.

That said other mob 3rd in league. Need get this sorted and be winners again.

Pretty Boy
20-03-2016, 07:06 AM
No. If we stay down we go up next year. Guaranteed. Unless we implode and lose players staff etc.

Sorry that's nonsense. Guaranteed?

How can anyone claim going up next year is guaranteed? Are you one of the people who said we would 'romp' the league this year? We may not even finish above Falkirk this season, ****ing Falkirk! Are the 1 or 2 Premiership teams or Falkirk, St Mirren, Raith Rovers all just making up the numbers next year? Absolutely nothing is 'guaranteed'. In 2 seasons in this league we have briefly flirted with being top for one short spell around November/December time, other than that we have been far closer to the chasing pack than we ever have been to the champions and champions elect.

There's being optimistic and there's living in cloud cuckoo land. If we stay down for next season we have one hell of a fight on our hands to claw ourselves out of this league.

marinello59
20-03-2016, 07:45 AM

We got relegated from a top league lacking Rangers and where teams like ICT and Ross County were never in danger. We could have Dundee United and Kilmarnock down with us next year if we are still in this league. They will both benefit from parachute payments whilst we will be carrying the costs of a more expensive stadium and East Mains before we get round to investing in the team.
Stay down this season and the task to win promotion will be just as hard as this time, maybe harder. We can still do it, the international break gives the manager and players the perfect chance to rethink things. Fingers crossed that enough is done to get us over the line.

Niffy
20-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Think we will beat Hamilton in the playoffs, getting past Falkirk will be harder but

We won't get that far, next season we'll be chasing Dundee Utds tail with Falkirk & Raith again.

CorrieHibs
20-03-2016, 10:31 AM

I wished I had your confidence.

Before tonight I was confident of winning the play offs but I think Falkirk are favorites. It hurts to say that.

Folk might not like him but Houston has done a terrific job with limited resources. Great tactician and showed it on Friday.

eastterrace
20-03-2016, 10:30 PM
We won't get that far, next season we'll be chasing Dundee Utds tail with Falkirk & Raith again. remember Dunfermline will be up as well

ancient hibee
21-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I wished I had your confidence.

Before tonight I was confident of winning the play offs but I think Falkirk are favorites. It hurts to say that.

Folk might not like him but Houston has done a terrific job with limited resources. Great tactician and showed it on Friday.

Great tactician my ****.Rangers believed their own publicity in the second half and stopped playing and started showboating and trying world cup passes-that's all.

emerald green
21-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Sorry that's nonsense. Guaranteed?

How can anyone claim going up next year is guaranteed? Are you one of the people who said we would 'romp' the league this year? We may not even finish above Falkirk this season, ****ing Falkirk! Are the 1 or 2 Premiership teams or Falkirk, St Mirren, Raith Rovers all just making up the numbers next year? Absolutely nothing is 'guaranteed'. In 2 seasons in this league we have briefly flirted with being top for one short spell around November/December time, other than that we have been far closer to the chasing pack than we ever have been to the champions and champions elect.

There's being optimistic and there's living in cloud cuckoo land. If we stay down for next season we have one hell of a fight on our hands to claw ourselves out of this league.

:agree: Especially the bits in bold.

Giro Playboy
21-03-2016, 11:19 PM
What worries me is Falkirk suddenly hitting a rich vein of form just when it matters. They have lost once in the league in 5 months

Time For Heroes
21-03-2016, 11:23 PM
What worries me is Falkirk suddenly hitting a rich vein of form just when it matters. They have lost once in the league in 5 months

better now than the play offs, hopefully they dip like we have and we can regain some form

Hibernia&Alba
21-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Falkirk will be very tough over two legs. A proper 50-50 tie.

flash
22-03-2016, 09:16 AM
When everyone was available we were as good as Rangers and significantly better than falkirk.
With a full squad we have a great chance but with a few missing less so.
Not my most optimistic prediction ever but a ray of sunshine compared to some of the over the top drivel on this thread.

Waxy
22-03-2016, 09:24 AM
They're just as capable of poor results as anyone. Last minute equaliser for Dumbarton last week.

Jones28
22-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Absolute drivel.

Oh yeah, shut up with their positive thinking eh?

Edson Arantes
22-03-2016, 10:00 AM
They're just as capable of poor results as anyone. Last minute equaliser for Dumbarton last week.

Exactly :aok:

On our day, player for player, we can beat Falkirk easily.

:flag:

JimBHibees
22-03-2016, 10:08 AM
When everyone was available we were as good as Rangers and significantly better than falkirk.
Not my most optimistic prediction ever but a ray of sunshine compared to some of the over the top drivel on this thread.

Absolutely were doomed, I tell you. :greengrin

Some total guff on this thread. We beat Inverness last week a couple of weeks to refocus then we move on. Some really do seem to revel in losses and surprisingly most making the most noise are nowhere to be seen when we win games. I really hope we win our next game which will hopefully fumigate some of the schizophrenics as this forum is torture at present.

The Green Goblin
22-03-2016, 10:13 AM

hibsed it. AGAIN

That's the spirit! Just so I have got this straight, your post, summarised, says: give up on promotion, we are ****, forget the cup and the yams are right about us. Yes?

Inspiring stuff. :faf:

Sunshine (Scott) on Leith....right enough.

Paisley Hibby
22-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Exactly :aok:

On our day, player for player, we can beat Falkirk easily.

:flag:

As we showed when we beat them 3-0 away on the last league game last season. From what I remember, the way we set up that day had learned from the lessons of the semi-final loss. We played with pace, width (Boyle) and direct instead of pass pass pass. Falkirk didn't have an answer.

SeanWilson
22-03-2016, 10:20 AM
At the end of the day, we cannot predict the future. We support hibs so there are likely to be huge highs and more lows over the next few weeks. On our day, we can easily brush aside Falkirk, Kilmarnock or whoever else we may face in the play offs, however we all know we're more than capable of chucking it. Let's just enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is hibs and stop falling out over 'aye but this could happen, aye but that'...

That said, hibs are *****, i'm really, really scared of Falkirk and the the apocalypse is nigh :greengrin

jgl07
22-03-2016, 10:20 AM
This thread reeks of Yam.

greenpaper55
22-03-2016, 10:40 AM
This thread reeks of Yam.

This thread reeks of concerned supporters ! i find it staggering that you can get slagged off for wanting the team to be a success, as it stands i think it's 50/50 whether we get promoted or not and you might be happy with that but others are clearly not. To spend another year in this division is not good enough and i don't think it will be any easier next season.

Edson Arantes
22-03-2016, 10:42 AM

hibsed it. AGAIN

Jesus Christ.

That's a cheery post :confused:

Dublin07
22-03-2016, 10:43 AM

This post is far too sensible for this thread flash. Did you not know that we will not even be in the play offs, will lose the semi final and we will be 30 points behind united by Christmas as they are the new Real Madrid.

Smartie
22-03-2016, 11:20 AM
If we get our act together we're far too good for Morton, Raith, Falkirk, Dundee United, Killie or any of the teams at the bottom of the Premier League.

If we don't we're a sitting duck for any of them.

We need to worry about our own game and not think about what any of these other teams are up to.

We'll have had a fortnight to reflect, get some players back from injury and Stubbs now appears to have had a bit of a wake-up call (although not before time).

Start April on the right footing, get a bit of momentum going and the games in that tough run just can't come quickly enough.

We CAN and we WILL do this.

Since90+2
22-03-2016, 11:46 AM
If we finish 2nd I think we will be promoted. Sadly I think if we finish 3rd I dont think we will.

Its absolutely vital we get 2nd spot , both from a psychological viewpoint and the fact we will have a longer rest period.

Col2
22-03-2016, 12:01 PM
If we get our act together we're far too good for Morton, Raith, Falkirk, Dundee United, Killie or any of the teams at the bottom of the Premier League.

If we don't we're a sitting duck for any of them.

We need to worry about our own game and not think about what any of these other teams are up to.

We'll have had a fortnight to reflect, get some players back from injury and Stubbs now appears to have had a bit of a wake-up call (although not before time).

Start April on the right footing, get a bit of momentum going and the games in that tough run just can't come quickly enough.

We CAN and we WILL do this.

I agree. It's no coincidence we have beaten so many top flight teams this season. I am concerned, very concerned but I still think we have a better squad than those teams meantioned and we desperately need Fyvie, Dylan and Hanlon back in.

It will go to the wire I have no doubt but if I had to bet all my possessions in us going up or staying down I would still edge us as being promoted.

I also think and unlikely hero may emerge. Someone who has been out of it but hungry to prove a point. Step forward Farid!

Onion
22-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I like stubbs but do now believe if we don't go up he has to go...he can't get a 3rd chance at this. The only thing that would save him if we don't go up is an unlikely Scottish cup win (which I don't see happening tbh). I'm normally Mr positive when it comes to Hibs but sitting watching that in Kirkcaldy tonight was hard to take...and 4 defeats in and row in this sh### league is totally unacceptable

I'd argue Stubbs has only had one chance to get us up. Hibs were not even a football team when he took over in late summer 2014, but worked miracles to get us to a cup semi and 2nd place in the league. We had no right to do as well as we did. This is the first proper season Stubbs has had and he's already got us to a cup final, every chance of getting us to another, and we pushed Sevo very hard until the last few weeks. Those talking about replacing Stubbs have short memories and unrealistic expectations at this stage of Hibs recovery. Win our two games in hand and it's all to play for with Falkirk still to come to ER. And who knows what might happen in the Scottish Cup.

Some of the get shot comments on .net about Stubbs are premature and ridiculous.

Borderhibbie76
22-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd argue Stubbs has only had one chance to get us up. Hibs were not even a football team when he took over in late summer 2014, but worked miracles to get us to a cup semi and 2nd place in the league. We had no right to do as well as we did. This is the first proper season Stubbs has had and he's already got us to a cup final, every chance of getting us to another, and we pushed Sevo very hard until the last few weeks. Those talking about replacing Stubbs have short memories and unrealistic expectations at this stage of Hibs recovery. Win our two games in hand and it's all to play for with Falkirk still to come to ER. And who knows what might happen in the Scottish Cup.

Some of the get shot comments on .net about Stubbs are premature and ridiculous.
As I said I like stubbs but I strongly believe he needs to get us up this season and I'm really hoping that he does. The cup runs however are masking quite horrific league form the last 2 months and regardless of the mess he inherited...we should be doing much better in this league this season. We aren't and he needs to take his share of the responsibility for this...especially decisions like persisting with Keatings at tip of diamond, refusal to drop Cummings of late and no cover for an off colour Stevenson at LB. As I say I hope we recover an salvage this season but he has made mistakes

Gatecrasher
22-03-2016, 12:39 PM

I haven't seen any evidence of this whats so ever over the last year or so.

Andy74
22-03-2016, 12:45 PM

He started with pretty much a blank page and in this league nearly two years should be time enough to be away from Falkirk at least.

eastcoasthibby
22-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Unlikely- next season could also be tough depending on who else is down but we should have the resources to get back- our support base remains several times bigger than any other club in the division, bar Rangers.

This season is not over yet either- its not looking good now, but frankly we should have the players to do the business if the mental attitude is right, and we can keep the heid.

bigger support base and resources has shown to mean very little at all, I have to say ie Falkirk, Morton, QOS and Raith...it's about getting as much as possible from the players at your disposal and playing in a manner that wins games ..... I think we have suffered from some of our players believing some of the over inflated good press about how good they are and we are as team, and we have become a target for all these teams, to up there game against us and they have. We have been grounded now by not only the last 4 defeats but probably the past 10 league games that we have scraped through, because the players think that have scored a goal and can stop playing, then we struggle and have held on for results. Its time to start again and so does Stubbsy by finding a new game plan as well !!

Diclonius
22-03-2016, 02:29 PM
It's just Hibs' luck that after being relegated (no excuses for that one, we were given literally every opportunity possible not to **** it up) we've had to contend with the following:

Our local rivals being relegated at the exact same time, with plenty time to prepare.
A (permanently) financially doped Rangers being promoted into the division at the exact same time.
Said financially doped Rangers spectacularly failing to get promoted, ensuring they spend even more money that they don't have trying to get out the following season.
Quite possibly THE strongest "provinical" team seen in the second tier for decades, and one that would win the league at a canter any season other than the last two (Falkirk).
The possibility of being in the same division as Dundee Utd (who have been a top six team for years) and Falkirk next season, if we don't make it this year.

These aren't excuses, but when has any other team in Scottish football had to contend with this after being relegated?

22-03-2016, 02:39 PM

Totally agree with this.

Smartie
22-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Fair points.

I think the success of his first season might ultimately count against Stubbs as it raised expectations.

It pretty much put us to where Hearts were the year before though - he had a solid base on which to build. The first half of the season it looked like we were going to do so, the capitulation since Christmas has been unforgivable.

The Rangers had to start from scratch in the summer, albeit with a lot of money. Much as I don't like to, I think credit must be given to Warburton for building as effective a footballing unit, designed for the task in hand (i.e. winning the Championship and putting wee teams to the sword) in as short a time as he did. We've tended to make excuses for Stubbs not being able to do likewise.

The most important point though is that it's not like we're carrying out a post-mortem - the season is very much still alive and we have a lot to play for. If we get back on track and play like we did for much of the first half of the season we'll be fine. We need to get our act together though because if we keep going the way we've been going recently then we're in deep, deep trouble.

Bristolhibby
22-03-2016, 04:02 PM
This is slowly turning into a blueprint season from us, do well till Feb/March then completely nose dive afterwards. Absolutely murder! I thought this team had turned it around

Turning?!? We've been like that for as far back as I can remember.

Bar that season where we didn't win until September 05 IIRC.

Early season momentum has kept us above water for years.

J

Winston Ingram
22-03-2016, 04:06 PM
I'm more worried about Falkirk than i am about facing a Premier League team. Houston has shown he has Stubb's number over the last couple of seasons.

JimBHibees
22-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm more worried about Falkirk than i am about facing a Premier League team. Houston has shown he has Stubb's number over the last couple of seasons.

Disagree with that totally. I think in the vast majority of games we have been the better team and missed numerous chances rather than being outfoxed tactically. The last 2 games Hibs should have won clearly, penalty denied and McGinn sent off and as for the semi final, one chance, one goal.

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm more worried about Falkirk than i am about facing a Premier League team. Houston has shown he has Stubb's number over the last couple of seasons.How did our 2 wins 2 draws 0 losses record in the last 4 games give you that impression?

Smartie
22-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Disagree with that totally. I think in the vast majority of games we have been the better team and missed numerous chances rather than being outfoxed tactically. The last 2 games Hibs should have won clearly, penalty denied and McGinn sent off and as for the semi final, one chance, one goal.

On the balance of play this is a fair comment.

But I would say that Falkirk have defended better (certainly soaked up more pressure without losing goals) attacked better (taken more of the few chances that came their way) and at no point has their goalkeeper made a gaffe as calamitous as Oxley's at ER in December.

On balance I'd say our midfield has been on top in these games but only in that Hibs-esque "flatter to deceive" kind of way.

Or glass half full - we sharpen up at both ends of the park and we might just blow them away.

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 04:32 PM
On the balance of play this is a fair comment.

But I would say that Falkirk have defended better (certainly soaked up more pressure without losing goals) attacked better (taken more of the few chances that came their way) and at no point has their goalkeeper made a gaffe as calamitous as Oxley's at ER in December.

On balance I'd say our midfield has been on top in these games but only in that Hibs-esque "flatter to deceive" kind of way.

Or glass half full - we sharpen up at both ends of the park and we might just blow them away.McDonald threw one in against us in the 3-3 last season.

Winston Ingram
22-03-2016, 07:59 PM
How did our 2 wins 2 draws 0 losses record in the last 4 games give you that impression?

We've won 2 in 8 against them. The 2 we won was a game they had nowt to play for and another where we were given a very dubious penalty to win it.