PDA

View Full Version : Corners

Monts
19-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Do we even practice them anymore?

We get 10-20 corners a game, and I'm struggling to remember when we last scored direct from one.

11 corners to 3 tonight, and guess which team scored from one.

NAE NOOKIE
19-03-2016, 07:32 PM
At least 5 of our corners were caught by the Raith keeper without him even having to move his feet ..... lesson number one, keep the bloody ball away from the keeper unless you have a player who can win the ball in front of him, which we don't !!!

gaz1875
19-03-2016, 07:34 PM
It's defending corners we don't practice, I dread any time we lose a corner. We must have shipped the majority of goals against from corners, embarrassing. As for our corners they are usually caught by goalkeepers actually coming to get the ball rather that stand watching.

Alfred E Newman
19-03-2016, 10:05 PM
It's defending corners we don't practice, I dread any time we lose a corner. We must have shipped the majority of goals against from corners, embarrassing. As for our corners they are usually caught by goalkeepers actually coming to get the ball rather that stand watching.

I also reckon we lose possession in 9 out of 10 throw ins. Gray especially takes an eternity.

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 10:08 PM
I also reckon we lose possession in 9 out of 10 throw ins. Gray especially takes an eternity.

This my gripe. Every time we get a throw in we genuinely look like it is the first time we have ever encountered a throw in. It is mind boggling.

macca70
19-03-2016, 10:08 PM

We get 10-20 corners a game, and I'm struggling to remember when we last scored direct from one.

Been saying this all season.

We scored from a corner tonight though, Raith failed to clear it properly and it fell to Stokes.

The Harp Awakes
19-03-2016, 10:12 PM

Been saying this for months, even when we were on the crest of a wave. So often you see the opposition wipping in corners at pace. Our corners are usually floated in high without pace, which is easy for the opposing GK and defence to deal with. I've no idea why McGinn and Henderson are not instructed to send an inswinging corner in with pace from either side:dunno:

macca70
19-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Did Hanlon not also score from a corner at Tynie.

DaveF
19-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Did Hanlon not also score from a corner at Tynie.

Yes, but after a scramble. I think the last direct headed goal may have been Hanlon against Sevco at ER, though I did think there was another but can't recall it.

gaz1875
19-03-2016, 11:31 PM

Yep they are so bad we go for the percentages of throwing them up the line until the opposition knock it back into the centre of the pitch!!

Monts
20-03-2016, 11:30 AM
I guess at the moment they have had they excuse that 3 games a week means they've not been in the training pitch as much as they usually would.

Pretty Boy
20-03-2016, 11:41 AM
It looks to me that the type of corner we take is under instruction.

The corners McGinn was delivering last night where almost identical to the type that Scott Allan took all of last season. A weird kind of sliced action that floats in quite low and close to the keeper, it doesn't work

greenpaper55
20-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Yep they are so bad we go for the percentages of throwing them up the line until the opposition knock it back into the centre of the pitch!!
This has been a gripe on here for years, our throw ins are chucked down the line or thrown at one of our players throats ! it does make you wonder what they do in training ? other teams throw the ball to players feet and always seem to have an option with plenty of movement as well.

Real Emerald
20-03-2016, 11:51 AM
It looks to me that the type of corner we take is under instruction.

The corners McGinn was delivering last night where almost identical to the type that Scott Allan took all of last season. A weird kind of sliced action that floats in quite low and close to the keeper, it doesn't work

I was delighted I would never see another Scott Allan corner again but as you say they must be getting told to do that. Why keep repeating something that clearly doesn't work?

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2016, 11:52 AM
I noticed a while back we were trying that whipped in corner for someone to flick on on the edge of the 6 yard box, and we've had a little success with it, but yesterday they were just straight at the keeper. :confused:

Nicho87
20-03-2016, 11:57 AM
David Zitellis corners were the best ive seen.

gaz1875
20-03-2016, 12:00 PM
This has been a gripe on here for years, our throw ins are chucked down the line or thrown at one of our players throats ! it does make you wonder what they do in training ? other teams throw the ball to players feet and always seem to have an option with plenty of movement as well.

That is true on both scenarios;

1 - We don't take them quick, to often players walk past the ball instead of grabbing it and taking it, and being accurate with them

2 - We don't mark teams when they have thrown ins in the same way they mark us.

gaz1875
20-03-2016, 12:07 PM
I noticed a while back we were trying that whipped in corner for someone to flick on on the edge of the 6 yard box, and we've had a little success with it, but yesterday they were just straight at the keeper. :confused:

Most of the corners we take are put into good areas, how many times have we watched Fontaine in particular head over unchallenged with the goal gaping. Yesterday their goalkeeper actually made an effort to catch the ball not stand and watch or try and punch it away,in other words take control of the six yard box, something we are unable to witness with our own team unfortunately :rolleyes:

truehibernian
20-03-2016, 12:20 PM

What's wrong with mixing it up - near post player runs towards taker, drawing man/men out leaving a space - too many short corners are in a triangle or played to an unmarked player next to taker - the secret is creating space and allowing players to attack the ball.

We don't even play a man on the keeper if it is a corner taken too close to the 6 yard box. Very puzzling.

blackpoolhibs
20-03-2016, 12:54 PM
What's wrong with mixing it up - near post player runs towards taker, drawing man/men out leaving a space - too many short corners are in a triangle or played to an unmarked player next to taker - the secret is creating space and allowing players to attack the ball.

We don't even play a man on the keeper if it is a corner taken too close to the 6 yard box. Very puzzling.

Nothing wrong with mixing it up, i was just stating that we'd actually created a few chances with the Henderson corners that were whipped in for Stokes or Cummings to help on.

We nearly scored with one in the final when Gray nearly got onto the flick on, but yesterday they just seemed to be poorly executed corners right down the keepers throat.

Baldy Foghorn
20-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Floated corners are are waste of time. A few times yesterday we failed to get ball over the first defender. Got to play ball in with pace, and hope someone attacks it thereafter.