PDA

View Full Version : Gray oxley Stevenson a bad combination

Springbank
19-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Slow and ponderous in possession, fingernails grow quicker than our throw in routines, and cross balls are a goal against every game.

Our best form recently has been 352 with gunnarsson on the field. Finding this persistence with 4 at the back and a shaky goalie testing the patience

Aldo
19-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Slow and ponderous in possession, fingernails grow quicker than our throw in routines, and cross balls are a goal against every game. Our best form recently has been 352 with gunnarsson on the field. Finding this persistence with 4 at the back and a shaky goalie testing the patience

You can add mcgregor and Fontaine along with Cummings to that if you want

marinello59
19-03-2016, 05:19 PM
You could list the entire team expect McGinn tonight. And throw the managers name in there as well.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2016, 05:21 PM
When they are your wide outlet you have problems, neither have the quality to deliver enough decent balls from wide.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2016, 05:27 PM
When they are your wide outlet you have problems, neither have the quality to deliver enough decent balls from wide.

:agree: they're the focal point of our attack but struggle doing it. Id be happy with them as full backs who defend but definitely not as the attacking solution.

gaz1875
19-03-2016, 06:30 PM
A number of players are really off form just now. David Gray should have been rested weeks ago and Gunnerson should be given a run in the team. He was at fault with both goals today, and how many times do we lose a goal to headers with him standing next to the goal scorer.

Schteff
19-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Fontaine is slower than the 3 of them combined and almost as bad as Stevenson

Borderhibbie76
19-03-2016, 07:44 PM
You could list the entire team expect McGinn tonight. And throw the managers name in there as well.
Thought Mcginn was Tom kite 2 night too...wasted far too many set pieces. Only Boyle and Stokes earned pass marks for me 2nite

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Fontaine is slower than the 3 of them combined and almost as bad as StevensonYour the slowest of the lot if you think a central defender has to be quick. Reading of the game and proper defending are what I want in our center backs, not pace.

Stokesy's on fire
19-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Gray was the weakest link don't know why OX has been blamed the players in front of him let him down tonight

Schteff
19-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Your the slowest of the lot if you think a central defender has to be quick. Reading of the game and proper defending are what I want in our center backs, not pace.

Aye, that's why we continually get caught out with a lump over our heads eh?

1. He can't read the game very well & 2. He's slower than a week in Saughton

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 08:49 PM

You're really going for the full 'Barnstoneworth' tonight Marinello.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 09:01 PM
You're really going for the full 'Barnstoneworth' tonight Marinello.

Gordon Ottershawe fans know what's going on. :greengrin

One Day Soon
19-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Gordon Ottershawe fans know what's going on. :greengrin

That's cos they're real fans and they've tried to cross the Andes by frog...

Nicho87
19-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Why do we players on their weak side????
Boyle on the right, keats on the left.
Please please its not hard

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Aye, that's why we continually get caught out with a lump over our heads eh?

1. He can't read the game very well & 2. He's slower than a week in SaughtonMore about the first and less about the second. Sorry but how many goals do we actually lose from a punt over the central defenders heads? Name 10 this season.

Greenblood70
19-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Oxley is one of the worst keepers in this division imo, anything on target goes in. He's *****.

Gray and Stevenson look knackered to me, manager's call why both are playing thru a loss of form.

Stubbs has a lot of questions to answer in his selections in the last couple of months.

We dont even look like a decent Championship side, league form wise, poor very, very poor.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Please please its not hardQuite simple really. They cut inside while the full backs overlap. I'd say the best 3 players in the world right now all play in the wrong sides.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Oxley is one of the worst keepers in this division imo, anything on target goes in. He's *****.

Gray and Stevenson look knackered to me, manager's call why both are playing thru a loss of form.

Stubbs has a lot of questions to answer in his selections in the last couple of months.

We dont even look like a decent Championship side, league form wise, poor very, very poor.Anything in the corners out of his reach goes in.

Nicho87
19-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Quite simple really. They cut inside while the full backs overlap. I'd say the best 3 players in the world right now all play in the wrong sides.

Sadly none of them were at starks park tonight though

Tyler Durden
19-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Quite simple really. They cut inside while the full backs overlap. I'd say the best 3 players in the world right now all play in the wrong sides.

We're talking about our players, not Neymar or Bale.

Martin Boyle was lost playing on the left but he played there for 90 minutes. Very poor from Stubbs

KWJ
19-03-2016, 09:37 PM

That was the worst game McGinn has had for Hibs. He was very poor.

KWJ
19-03-2016, 09:39 PM

We dont even look like a decent Championship side, league form wise, poor very, very poor.

:confused:

Oxley could do nothing for both goals.

Stevenson looks knackered? Did you not see him bomb 60 yards up the left and put in a great ball that led to Dagnell just missing. This was in about the 80th minute.

Pete
19-03-2016, 09:39 PM

I thought McGinn went downhill in the second half and looked as drained as everyone else. I'm sure I saw bags under David Grays eyes too.

Maybe they were all down in London last night.

Also, There was a big Henderson shaped hole in our team today.

Fergos
19-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Please please its not hard

Keatings shouldn't be playing at all at the moment, he's lost for form.

Boyle whilst not great tonight was slightly better than most and got us in our feet when running the full back, not always having the right end product but getting us up the park, winning corners and working hard.

coldingham hibs
19-03-2016, 09:44 PM

I have to agree re Oxley, absolutely murder. We need to take the hit and get Virtanen in (hope I spelt his name right) now and give him a chance to show what he can do.

macca70
19-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Totally agree, what we need is 2 'Modern Fullbacks' that can fly up and down the wings, offer some width, put in decent crosses and chip in with goals every so often.

I think Rangers success this season is mainly down to Wallace and Tavernier providing all of above.

I love Stevenson and cannot fault his commitment to Hibs but he offers very little, if anything, going forward.

Gray occasionally shows a moment of magic going forward but not often enough and gets caught out when we're defending far too frequently.

With this narrow diamond, it's vital the fullbacks push on to create the width but you never see Gray or Stevenson taking on a defender. Normally get to 25-30 yards out and cross rather than get in behind, 8 times out of 10 the cross/launch towards the box will go out the park, there keeper or just far to easy for the opposition to defend.

KWJ
19-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Totally agree, what we need is 2 'Modern Fullbacks' that can fly up and down the wings, offer some width, put in decent crosses and chip in with goals every so often.

I think Rangers success this season is mainly down to Wallace and Tavernier providing all of above.

I love Stevenson and cannot fault his commitment to Hibs but he offers very little, if anything, going forward.

Gray occasionally shows a moment of magic going forward but not often enough and gets caught out when we're defending far too frequently.

With this narrow diamond, it's vital the fullbacks push on to create the width but you never see Gray or Stevenson taking on a defender. Normally get to 25-30 yards out and cross rather than get in behind, 8 times out of 10 the cross/launch towards the box will go out the park, there keeper or just far to easy for the opposition to defend.

Again, did you not see Stevenson's run late on?

Wallace and Tavernier are Rangers best 2 players. How much do you think they are paying them? Who else in Scotland fits the bill? Shinnie and erm...

Fans not happy unless we sign Roberto Carlos and Cafu ffs. Stevenson has had another great season for us. Gray... well. On his day he's great for us but that's been too infrequent of late. Shocking cutback in the game today but he does offer himself. I'd like to see more of Gunner though.

Tyler Durden
19-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Tough to be too critical of Grays attacking impact, laid one on a plate today also good cutback in first half. Added to assists against Hearts and ICT recently.

Unfortunately his defending has been shocking and it's for that reason I would drop him.

Stevenson has been very average this season for me but we've no alternative unless we play McGinn as a wing back possibly. The lack of options on the left is another point where Stubbs leaves himself open to criticism

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 10:01 PM
We're talking about our players, not Neymar or Bale.

Martin Boyle was lost playing on the left but he played there for 90 minutes. Very poor from StubbsNeymar and Bale weren't always the players they are. Boyle adapted well when played right wing back, why is Stubbs wrong to try him on the left?

If Boyle scores his chance Stubbs looks like a genius.

TheMentalHibees
19-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Wallace and Tavernier are Rangers best 2 players. How much do you think they are paying them? Who else in Scotland fits the bill? Shinnie and erm...

Fans not happy unless we sign Roberto Carlos and Cafu ffs. Stevenson has had another great season for us. Gray... well. On his day he's great for us but that's been too infrequent of late. Shocking cutback in the game today but he does offer himself. I'd like to see more of Gunner though.

I'm as big a fan of Stevenson as anyone but his final ball just isn't good enough. It hasn't been all season. Finding your man 3/10 times is an abysmal return for a player who sees as much of the ball as him.
This is not a slant on his commitment or his play as a defender but in terms of attacking we need better, especially when our strikers are needing 3-4 good chances to find the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macca70
19-03-2016, 10:05 PM

As I said, I like Stevenson but just don't think he offers enough going forward and his final ball is generally disappointing, which is vital in games that we are going to be dominating.

What was the outcome of this fantastic run, not a goal so couldn't have been that good.

Borderhibbie76
19-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Gray was the weakest link don't know why OX has been blamed the players in front of him let him down tonight
Deffo the new Hibs.net scapegoat...done not a lot wrong tonight...it's his back 4 that were pathetic

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I have to agree re Oxley, absolutely murder. We need to take the hit and get Virtanen in (hope I spelt his name right) now and give him a chance to show what he can do.

I started a thread earlier saying maybe Oxley should be dropped for Virtinen, but I must admit I didn't think Oxley was totally to blame tonight. The defense was an absolute shambles.

Sergey
19-03-2016, 10:17 PM
I'm as big a fan of Stevenson as anyone but his final ball just isn't good enough. It hasn't been all season. Finding your man 3/10 times is an abysmal return for a player who sees as much of the ball as him.
This is not a slant on his commitment or his play as a defender but in terms of attacking we need better, especially when our strikers are needing 3-4 good chances to find the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rewind 10 years and the text is he same.

Great pro seemingly.

Stantons Angel
19-03-2016, 10:36 PM
As I said, I like Stevenson but just don't think he offers enough going forward and his final ball is generally disappointing, which is vital in games that we are going to be dominating.

What was the outcome of this fantastic run, not a goal so couldn't have been that good.

I have to admit that today was not Lewis's finest game for us but saying he offers nothing going forward is rubbish as far as im concerned. The over field cross from the left to Gray on the right for the first goal came from Lewis. maybe the outcome of his lung busting run wasnt a goal but it showed he was still trying even at the end of the game!

His distribution today was suspect but so was everyone else in the team. Super John McGinn flitted in and out of the game as did Bartley in the second half. Cummings is having an awful time in front of goal just now. The chances he has missed he usually rips the net with. wee Henderson was sorely missed today, his energy gives us a spark when we need it. Keatings threatens but doesnt produce. Thankfully Stokes has found his shooting boots at last.

The injuries we have at the moment will hopefully benefit from a two week lay off and hopefully the rest will help the whole team. They all looked tired today and when you think of it they have had so many high pressured games recently. Its no wonder they are jaded. Remember too that Gray Oxley and Stevenson have been there taking us to a cup final, a semi final and we were fighting for the league too!

So when we are looking for someone to blame consider there are 11 players out there and they are not all called Stevenson. He will come ok after the rest and give his all till the end of the season!

Tyler Durden
19-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Neymar and Bale weren't always the players they are. Boyle adapted well when played right wing back, why is Stubbs wrong to try him on the left?

If Boyle scores his chance Stubbs looks like a genius.

I dont think it was wrong to try Boyle on the left but it quite clearly didn't work today. My problem is that Stubbs kept him there for 90 minutes when he was so poor.

He is limited technically though and therefore better suited to operating down the right where he can use his pace to beat his man. On the left he will always cut inside and slow the play down. We already have Lewis to do that:wink:

macca70
19-03-2016, 10:53 PM
I have to admit that today was not Lewis's finest game for us but saying he offers nothing going forward is rubbish as far as im concerned. The over field cross from the left to Gray on the right for the first goal came from Lewis. maybe the outcome of his lung busting run wasnt a goal but it showed he was still trying even at the end of the game!

His distribution today was suspect but so was everyone else in the team. Super John McGinn flitted in and out of the game as did Bartley in the second half. Cummings is having an awful time in front of goal just now. The chances he has missed he usually rips the net with. wee Henderson was sorely missed today, his energy gives us a spark when we need it. Keatings threatens but doesnt produce. Thankfully Stokes has found his shooting boots at last.

The injuries we have at the moment will hopefully benefit from a two week lay off and hopefully the rest will help the whole team. They all looked tired today and when you think of it they have had so many high pressured games recently. Its no wonder they are jaded. Remember too that Gray Oxley and Stevenson have been there taking us to a cup final, a semi final and we were fighting for the league too!

So when we are looking for someone to blame consider there are 11 players out there and they are not all called Stevenson. He will come ok after the rest and give his all till the end of the season!

I don't doubt Lewis's ability to defend or his commitment but his distribution and ability to go past a player isn't good enough.

The rest will defo do the squad good, it's unfortunate that the one's that need the rest most eg McGinn will be away on International duty.

Captain Trips
19-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I started a thread earlier saying maybe Oxley should be dropped for Virtinen, but I must admit I didn't think Oxley was totally to blame tonight. The defense was an absolute shambles.

Oxley wasn't totally to blame you are right, Cummings is, as are the rest of the attacking element. We have a striker missing an open goal from about 1/2 yds and Oxley is being mentioned?

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Oxley wasn't totally to blame you are right, Cummings is, as are the rest of the attacking element. We have a striker missing an open goal from about 1/2 yds and Oxley is being mentioned?
I wasn't having a go at Oxley, was actually sticking up for him if anything.

matty_f
19-03-2016, 11:05 PM
:agree: they're the focal point of our attack but struggle doing it. Id be happy with them as full backs who defend but definitely not as the attacking solution.

:agree: our final ball is abysmal. Lost count of the number of good chances that come to nothing because of the lack of quality in the delivery.

Fergos
19-03-2016, 11:13 PM
We all......well almost all miss Malonga and I bet Lewis does too. He had a good link up with him and has yet to find that same out ball support & rapport with someone else despite Stokesy now coming onto a game with better performances. Additionally there is no real alternative to him at LB, another separate issue, although Gunnarson plays all along the back 4 apparently.

Mentioned on another thread that I reckon we may...maybe have seen the best of David a Gray, form and fitness wise. He's been an excellent signing and let hope he refinds his form but for now I'd be giving Gunnarson a shot at right back or as part of a 3 at the back.

GGTTH

Stantons Angel
20-03-2016, 12:54 AM
He has been going oast a lot of players this season and gets forward as often as he can. I think in all that oposing teams have sussed out our style of play and mark us so tightly. Hence not being able to charge back and forth down the wings. We are continually being kicked and jostled all over the park too. We need a wee bit more movement and hunger from them individually. I agree the rest will do them the world of good .

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Lex7zero
20-03-2016, 12:59 AM

A lot of severe threads tonight after a really poor result. And to be fair this was a pathetic performance so the criticism is well justified.

point number one yes anyone that understands football knows that Oxley is probably the weakest link in the chain. He not only lets in soft goals but his lack of ability and reluctance to command His area leaves our defence all over the place. That's a fact and to all the Oxley supporters yes it's good to support a Hibs player as I do but Stubbs has to get shot before our season crumbles.

Gray creates more goal chances than anyone else in our team but unfortunately also loses us a lot of goals as caught up the park out of position too often.

Wee Louis, like most fans I love his attitude but definitely not good enough and Stubbs should have recognised this early doors.

Cummings should have been dropped a couple of weeks back as he has totally lost it.

Stubbs a good young manager with lessons to learn, but he needs to start changing things earlier and resting players who are clearly not delivering.

our season has imploded and promotion now just a dream which won't happen.

yup call me all the pessimistic bums going but been there got the tee shirt and been a loyal Hibby for many a year, but it doesn't stop me seeing our big open weak spots.

GGTTH

Libby Hibby
20-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Oxley saves absolutely nothing. He doesn't even look like he is going to save anything that's on target. All the goals we concede, every one, I always feel that Oxley could've and should've done better. Ultimately, not all goals are caused by his errors but he just simply doesn't save enough of the oppositions chance. I would start the reserve keeper next game.

Gray is looking tired and should be dropped for a period. 3-5-2 would allow this to happen.

I'm not Stvenson's biggest fan but this season his commitment and play has exemplary. Does need to learn how to cross a ball and has done not very much since he was Captain against Morton at home. Needs a rest, 3-5-2 would allow this.

neil7908
20-03-2016, 05:56 AM

I actually think Gray had decent delivery (set up the goal against Hearts and Jason's chance yesterday just off the top of my head) but defensively he's either slack or getting caught up field. That's partly because we have no width though and our fullbacks are expected to also be wingers. I'm angry at the moment and don't want to lay into individuals but I do think Lewis needs some serious competition. No question his commitment and work rate but I still don't think left back is his best position

Aldo
20-03-2016, 06:41 AM
Oxley saves absolutely nothing. He doesn't even look like he is going to save anything that's on target. All the goals we concede, every one, I always feel that Oxley could've and should've done better. Ultimately, not all goals are caused by his errors but he just simply doesn't save enough of the oppositions chance. I would start the reserve keeper next game. Gray is looking tired and should be dropped for a period. 3-5-2 would allow this to happen. I'm not Stvenson's biggest fan but this season his commitment and play has exemplary. Does need to learn how to cross a ball and has done not very much since he was Captain against Morton at home. Needs a rest, 3-5-2 would allow this.

Regardless of who was in goals yesterday no one was saving RR's goals.

He came in for criticism last night when it was once again poor defending that cost us anything from the game not goalkeeping!!

I also include Stubbs in the scenario!

Libby Hibby
20-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Regardless of who was in goals yesterday no one was saving RR's goals.

He came in for criticism last night when it was once again poor defending that cost us anything from the game not goalkeeping!!

I also include Stubbs in the scenario!

Their 1st goal was more than savable imo...granted, others were at fault for the boy to even get a shot away but I think Oxley could've saved it if positioning was better.

I stand by the fact he saves nothing and doesn't inspire confidence in the side. I'm not over analysing him, I have never left a game where I've said 'Oxley really saved us there, won us the points'. Not in the way Leighton or Burridge did and to an extent Williams in the past.

He just saves nothing. Anything on target is likely to get the opposition a goal, I'm afraid to say.

J-C
20-03-2016, 06:57 AM
On their day Lewis and Gray are two solid good fullbacks who can defend reasonably well, unfortunately Stubbs wants them to be this dynamic modern wing backs. You can't make players play an unnatural position and expect them to thrive, they look knackered and dejected just like they were at the end of last season too. Allow them to do their jobs as defensive fullbacks and have a solid defence first.
Oxley I never wanted here in the 1st place, poor positioning and command of his area and hasn't improved one bit on last year, if anything he's worse.

Aldo
20-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Their 1st goal was more than savable imo...granted, others were at fault for the boy to even get a shot away but I think Oxley could've saved it if positioning was better. I stand by the fact he saves nothing and doesn't inspire confidence in the side. I'm not over analysing him, I have never left a game where I've said 'Oxley really saved us there, won us the points'. Not in the way Leighton or Burridge did and to an extent Williams in the past. He just saves nothing. Anything on target is likely to get the opposition a goal, I'm afraid to say.

Sorry but I'll disagree about the first goal the boy hit it right into the corner!!

I'll give you Budgie and Leighton but Williams made quite a few mistakes in his time and never every came off his line for anything!!

Libby Hibby
20-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Sorry but I'll disagree about the first goal the boy hit it right into the corner!!

I'll give you Budgie and Leighton but Williams made quite a few mistakes in his time and never every came off his line for anything!!

That's why is said to an extent about Williams but in his time here he did save us points with a few performances, penalty saves and shot stopping etc...Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh with yesterday's 1st and perhaps I would cut him some slack if in past games there was evidence or even signs of him saving shots towards our goal...you must admit, he saves very little.

HappyHanlon
20-03-2016, 07:15 AM
2/3 of these names wouldn't be at Hibs next season if I was the boss.

Not good enough.

Aldo
20-03-2016, 07:25 AM
That's why is said to an extent about Williams but in his time here he did save us points with a few performances, penalty saves and shot stopping etc...Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh with yesterday's 1st and perhaps I would cut him some slack if in past games there was evidence or even signs of him saving shots towards our goal...you must admit, he saves very little.

I agree that at to,Es he fails to expire any sort of confidence however he does make the odd save, one last week in cup final and he was a tad unlucky at their first goal.

He's an easy out for folk IMHO and keepers are in the sort of position where mistakes more often in not cost goals.

Tbh I'm far more concerned at our lack of defence and midfield and team shape in general!

Libby Hibby
20-03-2016, 07:30 AM
I agree that at to,Es he fails to expire any sort of confidence however he does make the odd save, one last week in cup final and he was a tad unlucky at their first goal.

He's an easy out for folk IMHO and keepers are in the sort of position where mistakes more often in not cost goals.

Tbh I'm far more concerned at our lack of defence and midfield and team shape in general!

Your last paragraph is concerning too but this chat was about Oxley, Gray and Stevenson.

He is not an easy out and, having coached goalkeepers myself, the main role and responsibility for a goal keeper is to prevent shots at goal, I just don't see that with Oxley.

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

What is so drastic regarding giving Virtanen a shot?

Tyler Durden
20-03-2016, 07:43 AM

It was a good few yards from the corner and lots of keepers would save that

liamh2202
20-03-2016, 08:08 AM
It was a good few yards from the corner and lots of keepers would save that

Only way he was saving that is if he guessed a side. Unfortunately there are too many people on here with a bee in their bonnet about oxley who have not got the first clue about goalkeeping. He can only save shots that are saveable. Maybe look at the defence for giving away the opportunity to get the shot away into the corner in the first place.

Libby Hibby
20-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Only way he was saving that is if he guessed a side. Unfortunately there are too many people on here with a bee in their bonnet about oxley who have not got the first clue about goalkeeping. He can only save shots that are saveable. Maybe look at the defence for giving away the opportunity to get the shot away into the corner in the first place.

No bee here but are you saying that goals we have conceded this season have all been unsavable? I agree with you regarding the defending and the ease at which teams appear to get goals against us but Oxley contributes to that ease.

The 1st last night was past him before he got down to the ground, if he reacted quicker he would of saved it. I just knew that as the move was building up, if the lad had got a shot away and it was on target, it was going to be a goal.

You can't argue that, for a goal keeper, he saves very little.

liamh2202
20-03-2016, 08:56 AM
No bee here but are you saying that goals we have conceded this season have all been unsavable? I agree with you regarding the defending and the ease at which teams appear to get goals against us but Oxley contributes to that ease.

The 1st last night was past him before he got down to the ground, if he reacted quicker he would of saved it. I just knew that as the move was building up, if the lad had got a shot away and it was on target, it was going to be a goal.

You can't argue that, for a goal keeper, he saves very little.

Thats the point im making very little co.pared to what? There is no direct comparison. I think if he had saved that shot last night it would have been world class.... Hes not a world class keeper. Very few are. From what i seen he dived as soon as he seen where the ball was going what more can he do? I dont ghink there was anything wrong with his reactions i just think hes the scapegoat at the moment in a team that are giving away easy opportunities week in week out

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 09:24 AM
This Oxley thing's getting out of control. He's now getting blamed for the defence not being able to defend?

As for "commanding his box" - does anyone know what the defence have agreed how they'll defend as a unit? See if the defence expect him to come and he doesn't I might start agreeing.

And can anyone name a keeper runs out to take crosses on the penalty spot regularly? Does even De Gea or Cech or Buffon do that? Or is it only when they sign for Hibs they need to start doing it?

Tyler Durden
20-03-2016, 09:25 AM

I agree that Gray primarily is to blame for that first goal. I'm just saying, it quite clearly was not "right in the corner". I think a Jamie McDonald or Neil Alexander for example would be saving that shot though.

Giro Playboy
20-03-2016, 09:33 AM
David Gray is looking like a one season wonder. He peaked last year and it been down hill ever since. I'm not sure if giving him the captaincy was one of Stubbs better ideas. If might have been better just letting him concentrate on his own game.
As for Stevenson, we let a decent left back in Adam Eckersley leave in January without kicking a ball.

Smartie
20-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Their 1st goal was more than savable imo...granted, others were at fault for the boy to even get a shot away but I think Oxley could've saved it if positioning was better.

I stand by the fact he saves nothing and doesn't inspire confidence in the side. I'm not over analysing him, I have never left a game where I've said 'Oxley really saved us there, won us the points'. Not in the way Leighton or Burridge did and to an extent Williams in the past.

He just saves nothing. Anything on target is likely to get the opposition a goal, I'm afraid to say.

:agree:

I'm not as big an Oxley basher as some but I didn't think he was blameless at the first goal at all.

I thought his positioning was hopeless and he compounds his poor positioning by being slow to get down to balls.

Boyle had a chance early on - ok, his effort was a bit weaker than Toshney's - but their keeper was standing on the spot, moved early and made an easy save.

You just don't see Oxley making enough saves. His shot to goal ratio is abysmal and I reckon his positioning and agility are very suspect.

It's hard at the moment to work out where to start working on how to stop losing the goals we are because imo there are normally several players culpable. Doesn't mean that any individual is less culpable just because there are so many of them making mistakes.

Jdawg
20-03-2016, 09:39 AM
When LS went on that run down the wing near the end I was extremely surprised as he almost always stops and cuts/checks inside and killing any momentum.

DG on a few occasions had ample time to get a good cross in and hit it against the first man.

If you are going to rely on your fullbacks to provide all the width then we need better.

Generally both are ok.

We need pace in the team, tip tap football and letting teams get 9 men behind the ball means it's always going to be difficult to get clear cut chances. Our players aren't good enough to play intricately week in week out.

Shrekko
20-03-2016, 09:45 AM
This Oxley thing's getting out of control. He's now getting blamed for the defence not being able to defend?

As for "commanding his box" - does anyone know what the defence have agreed how they'll defend as a unit? See if the defence expect him to come and he doesn't I might start agreeing.

And can anyone name a keeper runs out to take crosses on the penalty spot regularly? Does even De Gea or Cech or Buffon do that? Or is it only when they sign for Hibs they need to start doing it?

There are plenty modern goalies who come out for crosses. Oxley only deals with ones that are right on top of him and generally it'll be a fairly weak punch/flap. Seen plenty keepers even in our league dealing assertively with high balls to relieve the pressure at times.

I agree he can't be blamed for everything but equally people need to acknowledge this pattern of teams always seeming to score a high percentage of their chances against us. Im not seeing any heroics and sprawling saves back there....ever.

Goalies are often match winners- our best hope in a game is that our keeper gets through it doing the basics and not costing us. That's not a good feeling.

Stantons Angel
20-03-2016, 09:50 AM
David Gray is looking like a one season wonder. He peaked last year and it been down hill ever since. I'm not sure if giving him the captaincy was one of Stubbs better ideas. If might have been better just letting him concentrate on his own game.
As for Stevenson, we let a decent left back in Adam Eckersley leave in January without kicking a ball.

if he was that good then WHY hadnt he kicked a ball in that position?

its all very well saying that but Lewis must have been playing well enough for the manager to think him good enough to keep him in the team!

I cant recall anyone on here crying out for Lewis to be replaced then?

Like the whole team he has shaded and hopefully the rest will do the whole team good.

livy
20-03-2016, 10:50 AM
:flag:

skipster7
20-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Hes not been great and was caught wrong side for their first goal. Mcgregor was also wanting and Fontaine could have blocked it if he'd shown the same desire as some of the RR defence. So a collective shambles that needs sorted.
In Grays defence hes set up a lot of goals/ chances with his overlapping runs. JC v Hearts, Keatings v ICT and that chance yesterday.

gaz1875
20-03-2016, 11:23 AM
:agree:

I'm not as big an Oxley basher as some but I didn't think he was blameless at the first goal at all.

I thought his positioning was hopeless and he compounds his poor positioning by being slow to get down to balls.

Boyle had a chance early on - ok, his effort was a bit weaker than Toshney's - but their keeper was standing on the spot, moved early and made an easy save.

You just don't see Oxley making enough saves. His shot to goal ratio is abysmal and I reckon his positioning and agility are very suspect.

It's hard at the moment to work out where to start working on how to stop losing the goals we are because imo there are normally several players culpable. Doesn't mean that any individual is less culpable just because there are so many of them making mistakes.

However bad our defence appears to be just now, we concede very few shots on target, the trouble is just now the strike rate is 100% against, you only have to look at the last few weeks stats. Losing only 1,2 or 3 shots on target is exceptional, I would bet the best in possibly the whole of the Scottish league (just assuming here).

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 11:23 AM
There are plenty modern goalies who come out for crosses. Oxley only deals with ones that are right on top of him and generally it'll be a fairly weak punch/flap. Seen plenty keepers even in our league dealing assertively with high balls to relieve the pressure at times.

I agree he can't be blamed for everything but equally people need to acknowledge this pattern of teams always seeming to score a high percentage of their chances against us. Im not seeing any heroics and sprawling saves back there....ever.

Goalies are often match winners- our best hope in a game is that our keeper gets through it doing the basics and not costing us. That's not a good feeling.

I can think of any keepers that come for all the crosses.

And I can think of saves Oxley made as well - problem is when he makes them they get forgotten, example being saves made at 0-0 v Morton.

Although I will say our defensive unit (as a whole) needs to sharpen up - they have little to do every week yet when they do get attached they generally concede.

gaz1875
20-03-2016, 11:26 AM

And I can think of saves Oxley made as well - problem is when he makes them they get forgotten, example being saves made at 0-0 v Morton.

Although I will say our defensive unit (as a whole) needs to sharpen up - they have little to do every week yet when they do get attached they generally concede.

They don't get forgotten they are just few and far between. He receives plenty praise for doing what he is supposed to do when he does it.

Shrekko
20-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Ah but I didn't say there were goalies who come for EVERY cross. That's just getting a bit silly.

If you think he does enough - that's fine.

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Ah but I didn't say there were goalies who come for EVERY cross. That's just getting a bit silly.

If you think he does enough - that's fine.

It would be silly - that's how it feels on here though. No matter what he does he should've done the opposite. The chat about "commanding his box" is thrown around regularly.

I don't know if he does enough. I know little about the goalkeeping position. My assumption is its part of a defensive unit and they all have a part to play. He could be blamed if he was dripping shots at an opposition players feet (like Malkowski) but I don't think he's done that yet.

Hermit Crab
20-03-2016, 01:05 PM
5 defeats in a row now, if we lose to St Mirren, Falkirk, Dundee utd and The Rangers then I can't see anyway back for Stubbs. I don't want to see him sacked but its a results based game. If he does get sacked then one or two the team will be ****ting it as they may not get a look in under a new manager.

Hermit Crab
20-03-2016, 01:08 PM
It would be silly - that's how it feels on here though. No matter what he does he should've done the opposite. The chat about "commanding his box" is thrown around regularly.

I don't know if he does enough. I know little about the goalkeeping position. My assumption is its part of a defensive unit and they all have a part to play. He could be blamed if he was dripping shots at an opposition players feet (like Malkowski) but I don't think he's done that yet.

Falkirk at home and Morton at home to name a few. He wasn't at fault for the first last night but he did just seem to amble across his line for the second although I've not seen it again yet. Virtanen needs game time in the run up to the semi final, I see no harm giving him a game vs St Mirren in two weeks.

Hermit Crab
20-03-2016, 01:08 PM
:flag:

We've got a target man who wins almost every header, Alagui. Struggles to get in ahead of an off form cummings who proved it last night with that miss.

Shrekko
20-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Maybe some fans are looking to blame Oxley for goals that aren't his fault but to say he's only at fault when he's spilling balls is just plain wrong.

Maybe seeing as we finished 3rd then 4th in the SPL during the Brown/Malkowski years suggests that they weren't necessarily dropping shots at strikers feet every week either.

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Maybe some fans are looking to blame Oxley for goals that aren't his fault but to say he's only at fault when he's spilling balls is just plain wrong.

Maybe seeing as we finished 3rd then 4th in the SPL during the Brown/Malkowski years suggests that they weren't necessarily dropping shots at strikers feet every week either.

I never said that - they're a defensive unit but we always want to blame the keeper.

Brown wasn't as bad as made out either - he made saves. I remember the clamour to get Malkowski in though. What a nightmare that was. He regularly dropped the ball at the oppositions feet.