PDA

View Full Version : Should Virtanen start today?

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 11:29 AM
I say yes, he needs game time in the run up to the semi and I don't think Oxley has been in the greatest of form recently. Cue the "Oxleymoron" patter.

GGTTH

Kojock
19-03-2016, 11:29 AM
No

marinello59
19-03-2016, 11:33 AM
No ****ing way. We go with Oxley. Yet another thread having a dig out our first choice keeper. It's getting boring now.

Callum7
19-03-2016, 11:34 AM
NO:no way:

3pm
19-03-2016, 11:38 AM
No ****ing way. We go with Oxley. Yet another thread having a dig out our first choice keeper. It's getting boring now.

I don't like to see Oxley bashing. In this instance though, I do think that it's a fair question.

Stubbs will have to consider giving him a game before the semi final.

ManBearPig
19-03-2016, 11:38 AM
No way maybe sometime if we are goals up but otherwise no way.potential for destroying keepers confidence is likely against the likes of raith. Plenty of u21 games and maybe a game some point in the month let's not forget league if priority

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Right take away the fact that I said I don't think he is in the greatest form. Do we just keep playing Oxley and then chuck Virtinen into the semi? When is the right time to start playing him?

Callum7
19-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Stubbs will know best. He's seen them at training, we haven't.

hibs0666
19-03-2016, 11:42 AM
I say yes, he needs game time in the run up to the semi and I don't think Oxley has been in the greatest of form recently. Cue the "Oxleymoron" patter.

GGTTH

No danger. We lpay our best team to get us out of the league.

hibs0666
19-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Right take away the fact that I said I don't think he is in the greatest form. Do we just keep playing Oxley and then chuck Virtinen into the semi? When is the right time to start playing him?

Semi final.

Shrekko
19-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Need to think of a witty nickname now for the posters who go utterly radge at even any hint of criticism of 'our first choice goalie'!

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Need to think of a witty nickname now for the posters who go utterly radge at even any hint of criticism of 'our first choice goalie'!

How about "fans"?

hibbytam
19-03-2016, 11:48 AM

I'm not sure it's oxley bashing in this case, because we do need to give Virtanen games before the semi, both for him and for the defence to get used to his style.

To answer the op, no. This is a game for the tried and tested defence. There are a few games that he should be able to slot into though, Alloa stands out as a good shout, and possibly livingston too.

Shrekko
19-03-2016, 11:49 AM
How about "fans"?

Aye, right you are.

I think he's awful but have never abused him at a game. What am I then?

marinello59
19-03-2016, 11:50 AM

I think the OP has already provided one.
I'm far from going radge, I don't take this place seriously enough for that.:greengrin

Hermit Crab
19-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Aye, right you are.

I think he's awful but have never abused him at a game. What am I then?

Someone with a different opinion than others, nothing wrong with that. I think he's been howling and gave him stick at Dumbarton for his superman holwer. What does that make me?

R'Albin
19-03-2016, 11:54 AM
It's impossible to say having never seen Virtanen, but based on Oxley's recent performances then I'd certainly hope Otso's good enough to be getting played today.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Someone with a different opinion than others, nothing wrong with that. I think he's been howling and gave him stick at Dumbarton for his superman holwer. What does that make me?

A backseat driver?

Cod Boy
19-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I think Virutanen needs to play a couple of development games as apart from Wednesday i don't think he has played many minutes since he joined.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure it's oxley bashing in this case, because we do need to give Virtanen games before the semi, both for him and for the defence to get used to his style.

To answer the op, no. This is a game for the tried and tested defence. There are a few games that he should be able to slot into though, Alloa stands out as a good shout, and possibly livingston too.

The OP does start out by questioning Oxley's form.
I would play our strongest team in every league game, we simply can't afford not to. For me that means we go With Oxley every time.

Danderhall Hibs
19-03-2016, 11:59 AM
The OP does start out by questioning Oxley's form.
I would play our strongest team in every league game, we simply can't afford not to. For me that means we go With Oxley every time.

The other boy had 10 mins the other night and took the advice from here to come flying out and command his box and missed the ball.

Oxley would've stayed on his line and let his defenders deal with it and we'd all have been able to remain calm.

NAE NOOKIE
19-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Its not an unreasonable question to be fair. There's no chance Oxley's booking is going to be overturned, the SFA / SPFL have already had to admit that refs have cocked up in too many games this season, I cant see them admitting that yet another ref has messed it up unless they have no choice .... they are going to back the ref on this one.

If the decision is to stick with Oxley it means going into a game that winning could be worth over half a million quid to us ( never mind a shot at winning the cup ) with a keeper who has had 15 minutes of first team football all season, and who by all accounts in that 15 minutes made a couple of nervy errors.

The trouble is between now and the end of the season there will be no such thing as a non vital game that can be used to try out Virtanen and because of that IMO we will stick with Oxley and take our chances with Virtanen at Hampden.

Borderhibbie76
19-03-2016, 12:05 PM
It's actually getting ridiculous this constant oxley bashing on here. Even at games now your hear the shouts of keeper when balls come into the box...most of which no keeper would ever come for. Oxley has its limitations and has made few blunders but I still reckon he is one of it not the best keeper in this league, good enough for me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shrekko
19-03-2016, 12:06 PM
I think the OP has already provided one.
I'm far from going radge, I don't take this place seriously enough for that.:greengrin

No, the OP has provided one which has been used to tag people who don't rate him as a goalie, not the ones defending him.

If you think people being branded as 'morons' for having (IMO perfectly feasible) opinions on the player and his recent form is ok then fair play. I think it's a bit out of order and I'm sure those who leap to his defence wouldn't appreciate being called morons for their opinions either.

I want the guy to do well and support him at every game but I'm losing faith almost with every passing week. That's doesn't make me not a fan IMO.

Andy74
19-03-2016, 12:33 PM

We don't really have to. The league games are more important than the semi final.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 12:35 PM
No, the OP has provided one which has been used to tag people who don't rate him as a goalie, not the ones defending him.

If you think people being branded as 'morons' for having (IMO perfectly feasible) opinions on the player and his recent form is ok then fair play. I think it's a bit out of order and I'm sure those who leap to his defence wouldn't appreciate being called morons for their opinions either.

I want the guy to do well and support him at every game but I'm losing faith almost with every passing week. That's doesn't make me not a fan IMO.

I made no comment on the moron thing so not sure how you took out of my post that I supported it. :confused:

Radge70
19-03-2016, 12:47 PM

How about "Mark 1"?

The goalie
19-03-2016, 02:04 PM
If he is to play n the semi then he should play as many games with the defence in front of him to build understanding and get match sharpness playing at the highest level he can. Otherwise it's a recipe for disaster in the semi. This has nothing to do with OXleys form and everything to do with the semi.

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 02:15 PM
The league is more important than the semi so no.

Hibby 2005
19-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Well said.

Oxley's already lacking confidence and needs a rest. His inability to command his 6 yard line has been well documented. Stubbs has rotated just about everyone else in the team and if he doesn't address the goalkeeping issue before the semi I'll be disappointed but not all that surprised given the somewhat misguided loyalty that Stubbs shows to Oxley.

silverhibee
19-03-2016, 02:27 PM
We don't really have to. The league games are more important than the semi final.

:agree:

Oxley will keep his place for the rest of the season, the young lad just needs to get prepared for the SF which he will play in and our next game after that Oxley will be back in goals, promotion is the most important thing for the club, that comes first before a cup run this season.

silverhibee
19-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Well said.

Oxley's already lacking confidence and needs a rest. His inability to command his 6 yard line has been well documented. Stubbs has rotated just about everyone else in the team and if he doesn't address the goalkeeping issue before the semi I'll be disappointed but not all that surprised given the somewhat misguided loyalty that Stubbs shows to Oxley.

Who rotates there goalkeeper, who else should Stubbs stick in goals.

Think your going to be disappointed.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Because of our poor recent form and us now being 6 points behind Falkirk in 3RD BLOODY place, we dont have the luxury of blooding the lad in for a game or two. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Because of our poor recent form and us now being 6 points behind Falkirk in 3RD BLOODY place, we dont have the luxury of blooding the lad in for a game or two. :rolleyes:Why do you feel the need to post such negative **** like this? We all know our form is poor and we are behind Falkirk, you don't need to reinforce it in every thread. Our form is also irrelevant in this decision, title winning teams are even less likely to drop their keeper unless they have to.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Why do you feel the need to post such negative **** like this? We all know our form is poor and we are behind Falkirk, you don't need to reinforce it in every thread. Our form is also irrelevant in this decision, title winning teams are even less likely to drop their keeper unless they have to.

Is the reason i gave why we probably cant put him in anymore relevant now you posted that?

JimBHibees
19-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Yep part of a yam inspired campaign to undermine our team IMO. Do not underestimate how bitter they were at us dumping them out the Scottish.

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Yep part of a yam inspired campaign to undermine our team IMO. Do not underestimate how bitter they were at us dumping them out the Scottish.

I asked a fair question IMO. Not trying to undermine anyone. Just because you disagree doesn't make anyone a yam.

Shrekko
19-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Don't talk utter rubbish- seriously.

So now if you don't rate Oxley you're a moron and a Hearts fan?

Levels of paranoia are embarrassing. The OP asked a reasonable question in a reasonable manner- some of the guff that's followed is ridiculous.

JimBHibees
19-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Don't talk utter rubbish- seriously.

So now if you don't rate Oxley you're a moron and a Hearts fan?

Levels of paranoia are embarrassing. The OP asked a reasonable question in a reasonable manner- some of the guff that's followed is ridiculous.

Nothing to do with paranoia how many threads does there need to be basically slating our goalie. Seems to be a daily occurrence. Oxleymoron doesn't sound reasonable.

eastterrace
19-03-2016, 03:48 PM
No ****ing way. We go with Oxley. Yet another thread having a dig out our first choice keeper. It's getting boring now. think your getting boring sticking up for him yawn

Blaster
19-03-2016, 03:49 PM
think your getting boring sticking up for him yawn

You'd rather play an unknown though??

eastterrace
19-03-2016, 03:53 PM
You'd rather play an unknown though?? we need to find out if he is up to it and we won't know keeping him on the bench.

Shrekko
19-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Nothing to do with paranoia how many threads does there need to be basically slating our goalie. Seems to be a daily occurrence. Oxleymoron doesn't sound reasonable.
If a Jambo was trying to stir it I think he'd manage to come up with something more damaging and original.

I disagree with players being abused at games but you only have to be in the crowd at Hibs games to know that many Hibs fans have serious misgivings about Oxley. Hardly unreasonable to think you might read about it on here.

How you think it undermines the club I do not know-a player getting criticism.. hardly out of the ordinary. If you want to cause damage you start a rumour about players getting up to no good off the field surely?

'A yam inspired campaign'- seriously?

Blaster
19-03-2016, 03:56 PM
we need to find out if he is up to it and we won't know keeping him on the bench.

Maybe trust the manager, no?

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2016, 03:57 PM
We play our number one keeper in every game we possibly can, Stubbs knows how good Virtanen is and he remains his number two.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 03:57 PM
think your getting boring sticking up for him yawn

How many times have you seen Virtanen play? Given your nonsensical attempts to blame Oxley for the goal at Inverness the other night though which only manage to make you look ridiculous I won't be paying much heed to your scouting abilities.

Blaster
19-03-2016, 03:58 PM
We play our number one keeper in every game we possibly can, Stubbs knows how good Virtanen is and he remains his number two.

Spot on

Pretty Boy
19-03-2016, 03:59 PM
I think there's a few over active imaginations at work.

No doubt the sniping at Oxley is a bit repetitive but it's hardly exclusive to here. The people I sit around at home games talk about him, people I travel to away games with talk about him, people in the pub I drink in before games talk about him, it's discussed on Facebook and Twitter etc etc etc.

I don't agree with a lot of what is said but it is a discussion that people want to have as opposed to any coordinated conspiracy to cause disharmony.

Fwiw Oxley should play both tonight and in every other game Stubbs decides to select him.

Torto7062
19-03-2016, 04:04 PM

It's called Oxleyniteous

eastterrace
19-03-2016, 04:05 PM
How many times have you seen Virtanen play? Given your nonsensical attempts to blame Oxley for the goal at Inverness the other night though which only manage to make you look ridiculous I won't be paying much heed to your scouting abilities. ditto

marinello59
19-03-2016, 04:14 PM
ditto

I'm not claiming any great knowledge. I trust our manager on this one.
How many times have you seen Virtanen play?

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Just imagine if we put Virtanen in for every game between now and the semi, he makes a few bad decisions, is slated by the regular boo boys and has zero confidence. You have to stick with your number one for as long as you can in my opinion, when available Ox should play.

eastterrace
19-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm not claiming any great knowledge. I trust our manager on this one. How many times have you seen Virtanen play? in Stubbs we trust , so let's leave it at that .

SJM
19-03-2016, 04:21 PM

GGTTH

Not today, it's the biggest match of the season arguably.

marinello59
19-03-2016, 04:30 PM
in Stubbs we trust , so let's leave it at that .

Fair enough, we would just go round in circles for ages if we kept going. :greengrin

Andy74
19-03-2016, 05:48 PM
we need to find out if he is up to it and we won't know keeping him on the bench.

What good does knowing so? If he is rubbish we can't change the fact he will be playing in the semi!

Hibby 2005
19-03-2016, 11:09 PM
So how was Oxley today?

eastterrace
19-03-2016, 11:22 PM
So how was Oxley today? why don't you tell us how he was, or are you trying to stir things up

Eaststandee
19-03-2016, 11:24 PM
So how was Oxley today?

The defense was to blame more than Oxley and I started this thread

HappyHanlon
20-03-2016, 08:11 AM

How was that a dig?

It's a very valid question. At what point do we play Virtanen to help him get some form of understanding with the defence?

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 08:49 AM
How was that a dig?

It's a very valid question. At what point do we play Virtanen to help him get some form of understanding with the defence?

It's one game, he trains with the first team squad so knows how the defence operates, I haven't seen many sub keepers who have had to come on because of injury struggle because they had no understanding of the defence. You're talking about a problem that doesn't exist, if we had just signed him on loan you may have a point but we haven't.