PDA

View Full Version : Big Marvin.

Thecat23
17-03-2016, 11:09 AM
This guy has been nothing short of immense since Fyvie has been injured. If you ask me he's been MOTM in more games then any other player recently.

The guy never seems to tire and last night out another cracking shift in. I honestly think he's massively underrated and could well be the difference in us going up and maybe even getting to another final.

Juice-Terry
17-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Hear hear! The big felly was immense again last night.

Pretty Boy
He's not just a spoiler, although he's good at that, he's a decent if simple footballer as well. He's surprised me on a few ocassions with his willingness to go forward and try to stay involved.

Glad we are seeing what he offers now.

SeanWilson
This guy has been nothing short of immense since Fyvie has been injured. If you ask me he's been MOTM in more games then any other player recently.

The guy never seems to tire and last night out another cracking shift in. I honestly think he's massively underrated and could well be the difference in us going up and maybe even getting to another final.

I can't believe it's taken so long for him to become a first name on the team sheet and while I am a big fan of FF, I can't see how Bartley can possibly drop out of this team now - captain material.

SlickShoes
17-03-2016, 11:11 AM
YaYa Bartley, long may he reign. RIP the Matty Jack role, long live Marv.

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2016, 11:11 AM

He has been outstanding. The exact player we spent years crying out for. I think on Hibspaige Facebook group he's been selected by the fans as MOTM in 5 of the last 9 games!

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Said similar on Sunday. :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
17-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Big Marv has been bloody MARVelous ....... never lets us or himself down :aok:

Pretty Boy

The real question is could big Matthias have played the Marvin Bartley role?

Thecat23
Thing is the boy can play as well. He's calm and can pick a pass! There is no way he should be dropped when FF is back imo. I think he brings a better balance to the team.

Danderhall Hibs
I think him being in the team will let us see another side of Fyvie's game.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2016, 11:15 AM

Indeed. If McGeough continues to be unable to stay fit for more than 2 or 3 games at a time I think Fyvie could shine in the role he currently plays.

hibee-boys
17-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Hard to leave him out the team after some cracking performances! What a bonus when Dylan and Fraser are also fit, we really need these 2 chipping in between now and the end of the season. McGinn and Henderson need a break at some point.

Thecat23
17-03-2016, 11:23 AM

That's a good shout, give him more freedom and leeway to push forward!

MagicSwirlingShip
17-03-2016, 11:42 AM
He was immense again last night :thumbsup:

He takes up great positions in Midfield, is strong in the Tackle, and some of his bursts forward remind me of Yaya Toure in his pomp!

What a signing he is turning out to be :agree:

Viva le Bartman :flag:

Tom Hart RIP
17-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Check out his sprint to reach Gardyne in 89th minute at Hampden. His strength and stamina are amazing. Good signing

heretoday
17-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Strength. You can't beat it. He's the player of the season for me

tomhorn
17-03-2016, 11:54 AM
The first few times I saw him play I thought he was poor. So glad I was wrong. He has been a big player for us since he has had a good run in the team and may well have a huge part to play in the remainder of the season in both competitions.

Andy74
17-03-2016, 11:54 AM
I thought he started well with us too. No idea why he was taken out for some of our bigger games such as Ibrox.

Thecat23
17-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I thought he started well with us too. No idea why he was taken out for some of our bigger games such as Ibrox.

I said the same but was shot down. Thought he done well for us then was left out.

Greenblood70
17-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Bartley has been outstanding - the shifts he's put in recently have been much appreciated.

Turning into a real cult hero at Hibs and well deserved at that.

Salt N Sauzee
17-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Can we have a song for him now? :hijack:

hibees 7062
17-03-2016, 12:34 PM
He's not just a spoiler, although he's good at that, he's a decent if simple footballer as well. He's surprised me on a few ocassions with his willingness to go forward and try to stay involved.

Glad we are seeing what he offers now.

:agree:

Andy74
17-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Is there not one to the tune of No Limits?

gaz1875
17-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Good player and getting better every game, been bossing the midfield the last few games hopefully others can raise their efforts to match. :top marks

Haymaker
17-03-2016, 01:49 PM
The real question is could big Matthias have played the Marvin Bartley role?

That is like dividing by zero.

CorrieHibs
17-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Would agree on this. Been a great signing. Someone we lacked last season. Every time he's played he's been a stand out.

As Dylan is unfortunately injured more than he plays. A midfield of Marv, McGinn, Hendo and fyvie once back looks good.

Thecat23
17-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Would agree on this. Been a great signing. Someone we lacked last season. Every time he's played he's been a stand out.

As Dylan is unfortunately injured more than he plays. A midfield of Marv, McGinn, Hendo and fyvie once back looks good.

That does look a good midfield Liam, one that would gives me confidence going into the final games of the season.

hibbymick
17-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Right let's get that McGinn song changed.

Lancs Harp
17-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Check out his sprint to reach Gardyne in 89th minute at Hampden. His strength and stamina are amazing. Good signing

I like Marv he's always done a good job when Ive seen him in the team and he adds steel to a midfield that without him lacks it. But in reference to the above bear in mind Barley and Gray had just made a complete pigs ear of it on the half way line to release Gardyne.

CRAZYHIBBY
17-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Love big marv......the dudes a machine

Onceinawhile
17-03-2016, 03:57 PM
I like Marv he's always done a good job when Ive seen him in the team and he adds steel to a midfield that without him lacks it. But in reference to the above bear in mind Barley and Gray had just made a complete pigs ear of it on the half way line to release Gardyne.

If he hadn't chucked an elbow earlier in the game he could've brought him down and taken a booking.

But, having said that, he's very good at what he does and I'd back him in a pager against almost any other player in Scotland. An important part of us not being pushover imo.

Keith_M
17-03-2016, 04:33 PM

"We've got Marv! Marv,
He's got the power you know,
he's idestructible,
always believe in,
Marv! Marv....."

etc...

hibee
17-03-2016, 05:45 PM
There was a guy in the South stand at Hampden that looked like his double, don't know if he's a player though! Had a kid with him who looked gutted at the end but Marvin came into the stand and gave him his top so possibly his son.

Great player with a brilliant attitude and should definitely keep his place.

Onceinawhile
17-03-2016, 05:54 PM
There was a guy in the South stand at Hampden that looked like his double, don't know if he's a player though! Had a kid with him who looked gutted at the end but Marvin came into the stand and gave him his top so possibly his son.

Great player with a brilliant attitude and should definitely keep his place.

Think it was his brother. Saw that too.

Libby Hibby
17-03-2016, 05:54 PM
To the tune of No limits...

Marvin, Marvin Bartley, Marvin Bartley, Marvin, Marvin Bartley

Now repeat, several times

Gmack7
17-03-2016, 05:55 PM
He has been brilliant lately,but he does look reluctant /awkward trying to win headers
He'll probably head the winner on Saturday now

Giro Playboy
17-03-2016, 06:09 PM
The man has been a giant in the middle of the park. Against Hearts he was immense. Thing is if Fyvie had been fit Big Marv probably would have started on the bench

Captain Trips
17-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Been superb and long may it continue.

Onion
17-03-2016, 07:09 PM
First few games, big disappointment - off the pace, couldn't tackle a supper and not enjoying his footie. I gave up on the guy as a poor signing who'd do nothing for us.

Now, last 6-8 games, he's been phenomenal and MOTM in many. Great engine, timing of tackle superb, good commitment, reads the game well, good team player, ball winner and can pick as pass. Would be one of the first names on the sheet for me, every game, ahead of Fyvie and Thomo.

Jonnyboy
17-03-2016, 07:12 PM
First few games, big disappointment - off the pace, couldn't tackle a supper and not enjoying his footie. I gave up on the guy as a poor signing who'd do nothing for us.

Now, last 6-8 games, he's been phenomenal and MOTM in many. Great engine, timing of tackle superb, good commitment, reads the game well, good team player, ball winner and can pick as pass. Would be one of the first names on the sheet for me, every game, ahead of Fyvie and Thomo.

Which, if nothing else, kinda proves we should not be so quick to judge :greengrin

Northernhibee
17-03-2016, 07:14 PM
To the tune of 'Monster' by the Automatic;

"Who's that running on the ball
It's Marvin Bartley, it's Marvin Bartley"

Northern Hibby
17-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Let Mavrin Bartley get on!!

Northernhibee
17-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Let Mavrin Bartley get on!!

Think David Gray would be better suited to that song. "Let's David Gray and get it on"

Bostonhibby
17-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Love the guys style, seen him play four times and he has been better and better - the yam were petrified of him and in the cup final he was outstanding. First name on the team sheet at the moment, hard man to dislodge.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-03-2016, 08:22 PM
He's great on Facebook as well. Loads of time for the Hibees.

Top player

Lago
17-03-2016, 08:22 PM

He has played at a pretty decent level down South before coming to Hibs so never doubhted he had the ability to handle Scottish 2nd tier football.

Sergey
17-03-2016, 08:30 PM
He has played at a pretty decent level down South before coming to Hibs so never doubhted he had the ability to handle Scottish 2nd tier football.

Nothing wrong with H&R who ply their trade in the Pub League in England. Not dissimilar to the level we're currently at.

H&R = Hampton & Richmond

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Nothing wrong with H&R who ply their trade in the Pub League in England. Not dissimilar to the level we're currently at.

H&R = Hampton & Richmond

Ooh you are awful but I like you ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2016, 08:49 PM
To the tune of No limits...

Marvin, Marvin Bartley, Marvin Bartley, Marvin, Marvin Bartley

Now repeat, several times

All day all day
make them all fall down
All day all day
Marvin C Bartley

(apologies to the Pet Shop Boys - Domino Dancing)

Onion
17-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Which, if nothing else, kinda proves we should not be so quick to judge :greengrin

Agreed, but for every Marvin there's a James Collins :greengrin

snooky
17-03-2016, 09:09 PM

:agree: He's been the stone at the middle of the cherry.

O'Rourke3
17-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Eh? Looked solid from day one. Still cant head a ball but rarely needs to. Criticised for games passing him by when as a DM in a dominating Hibs team he wasn't required as often. He also demonstrated pace as well as power.
With all due deference to the Jack Nicholson movie - The King is Marvin Bartley.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Boyle89
17-03-2016, 10:08 PM
In every game I've seen him play I haven't seen him lose a challenge. Every 50/50 is more like 70/30 in his favour given his strength and determination! He even has some deep lung bursting runs in his locker which I'd like to see more of.

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Marv has been brilliant but some in here are seriously downplaying how good Fyvie is because he doesn't shove people off the ball and win it back like Bartley does. He is far better at taking the ball off the back 4 and that is very important to how we play.

Lancs Harp
17-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Marv has been brilliant but some in here are seriously downplaying how good Fyvie is because he doesn't shove people off the ball and win it back like Bartley does. He is far better at taking the ball off the back 4 and that is very important to how we play.

Bartley and Fyvie both have a lot to offer, they have different qualities I don't think its necessarily one over the other. Its a actually a good thing we are having this debate

Unseen work
18-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Even at the start of the season I thought he was very good. Breaks up play with ease and is very difficult to get the ball off.

The yaya /kolo toure song has got to get sung for him.

https://youtu.be/Hsbg9NiMRzk

Ideal song for him