PDA

View Full Version : Hibs' 21st Century cup record

G B Young
17-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Since the turn of the century we have reached six cup finals and an additional seven semi-finals (including the forthcoming game against United). That's 13 solid cup runs in 16 years, which considering we've only finished in the top half of the Scottish top flight on a handful of occasions during that time is a pretty decent achievement and presumably better than most. Of course, the fact we only have one trophy to show for it is disappointing but it surprised me to discover how consistently strong we have been in cups despite some dire league campaigns. A few dismal early cup exits thrown in there too of course, but the overall record is a good one.

erin go bragh
17-03-2016, 03:17 PM
This correct mate . Would they stats not mean we haven't lost a semi final this century! We lost a couple ( Pars and D Utd ) no sure if the Aberdeen semi we lost when Latapy put us 1 up was pre 2000 or after .
Still a decent record of getting to the finals tho . Our results in them are ,,,,,, tho .

GGTTH

HibbyScott
17-03-2016, 03:35 PM
This correct mate . Would they stats not mean we haven't lost a semi final this century! We lost a couple ( Pars and D Utd ) no sure if the Aberdeen semi we lost when Latapy put us 1 up was pre 2000 or after .
Still a decent record of getting to the finals tho . Our results in them are ,,,,,, tho .

GGTTH

I read his stats as we've won 6 semi finals (hence obviously being in 6 finals) and lost 6 semi finals, with the outstanding one against D Utd still to come. Isn't a bad record at all though as the OP says! 13 semi finals in 16 years is pretty good going!

Monts
17-03-2016, 03:35 PM

GGTTH
We lost a semi last season? :confused:

G B Young
17-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I read his stats as we've won 6 semi finals (hence obviously being in 6 finals) and lost 6 semi finals, with the outstanding one against D Utd still to come. Isn't a bad record at all though as the OP says! 13 semi finals in 16 years is pretty good going!

Yes, just to clarify, what I meant was that we've reached 13 semi finals in 16 years, six of which we have won and six which we lost, with one yet to be played.

This thread could probably be merged with the 'Overall cup final record' thread which has taken a similar path and in which I've listed the results of all those semi-finals.

RIP
17-03-2016, 07:12 PM
We lost a semi last season? :confused:

We always start on top, create loads of excitement, penetrate deeply for the first hour without scoring,then get anxious, lose our thrust before coming to a sticky end.

Here's hoping we stay hard longer in the next round and truly rise to the occasion.

lyonhibs
18-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Since the turn of the century we have reached six cup finals and an additional seven semi-finals (including the forthcoming game against United). That's 13 solid cup runs in 16 years, which considering we've only finished in the top half of the Scottish top flight on a handful of occasions during that time is a pretty decent achievement and presumably better than most. Of course, the fact we only have one trophy to show for it is disappointing but it surprised me to discover how consistently strong we have been in cups despite some dire league campaigns. A few dismal early cup exits thrown in there too of course, but the overall record is a good one.

Is 1 win in 16 years, which is humpty. History will not recount losing semi finalists or finalists and nor is there any glory in being one.

Our record at getting to Hampden is really good, which makes are appalling record at winning there all the more galling.

Bristolhibby
18-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Is 1 win in 16 years, which is humpty. History will not recount losing semi finalists or finalists and nor is there any glory in being one.

Our record at getting to Hampden is really good, which makes are appalling record at winning there all the more galling.

Was going to say that. Who remembers who won the silver medal in the Olympics? Runners up at a World Cup? The Final of Wimbledon?

History is written by winners. We need to be those winners.

J

danhibees1875
18-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Was going to say that. Who remembers who won the silver medal in the Olympics? Runners up at a World Cup? The Final of Wimbledon?

J

Those people and their fans remember.

No one is going to argue that it's not disappointing to lose and obviously it'd be great to have had a few more trophy wins in the last decade but that doesn't detract from these good cup runs and actually getting to hampden on pretty much a yearly basis. Fans of other teams about our level would love to have our cup record I bet. That 4-3 semi against falkirk was a great game and one of my hibs highlights.

Keith_M
18-03-2016, 09:49 AM
We win every fourth final we appear in.

A very poor record but at least it means we'll definitely win the next one.

G B Young
18-03-2016, 11:15 AM

J

As I said in my original post, it's disappointing that all those good cup runs have yielded only one trophy, but by your reasoning there would be no point in the majority of clubs even entering the cup competitions as most have no chance of winning them. We operate in a Scottish football landscape where until a few years back only two clubs had a chance of winning the Scottish league title. Now that's down to one (even though Aberdeen are making a reasonable fist of exploiting the weakness of the poorest Celtic side for years) and the rest of the clubs basically compete to finish as high as they can. All I'm saying is that for all Hibs get accused of underachievement (and in the league we certainly underachieve given our size as a club), our cup record is actually a very solid one and as another poster has pointed out we've seen some terrific cup games during that time which surely don't just get erased from memory just because we didn't go on to win the tournament?

Diclonius
18-03-2016, 11:17 AM
We win every fourth final we appear in.

A very poor record but at least it means we'll definitely win the next one.

Great to hear, let's go and beat United then so we can win that ****ing cup.

erin go bragh
18-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Yes, just to clarify, what I meant was that we've reached 13 semi finals in 16 years, six of which we have won and six which we lost, with one yet to be played.

This thread could probably be merged with the 'Overall cup final record' thread which has taken a similar path and in which I've listed the results of all those semi-finals.
👍 I see now . So we have been in 12 semi finals ( soon to be 13 ) and 6 finals ( hopefully 7 ) so we have a 50% win rate in semi finals .
But only 16.75% win rate in finals ( this century)

GGTTH