PDA

View Full Version : The legs were gone

CentreLine
17-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Every one of our players ran themselves in to the ground last night. I was frustrated when Gray wanted to hold the ball in the corners but then realised he and most of the others had nothing left in the tank. He made a great run to the bye line with a few minutes to go but didn't have the energy to cross the ball. If the game has gone to extra time Inverness could have walked past us.
The amount these players have put in to the last few weeks and what it has taken out of them was there for all to see last night. But still they dug deep enough to take us to Hampden again.

These players deserve a medal already

Scouse Hibee
17-03-2016, 09:43 AM
You only deserve a medal if you win something,let's not get carried away now.

MB62
17-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Every one of our players ran themselves in to the ground last night. I was frustrated when Gray wanted to hold the ball in the corners but then realised he and most of the others had nothing left in the tank. He made a great run to the bye line with a few minutes to go but didn't have the energy to cross the ball. If the game has gone to extra time Inverness could have walked past us.
The amount these players have put in to the last few weeks and what it has taken out of them was there for all to see last night. But still they dug deep enough to take us to Hampden again.

:top marks

Wasn't there but I think they deserve every bit of credit offered. The lads have played an incredible amount of football already this season but last night was not just about the physical effort, there must have been a HUGE mental effort there too following the disappointment of Sunday.
Well done to every single one of them, ALL your efforts are very much appreciated :thumbsup:

danhibees1875
17-03-2016, 10:00 AM

I think that was maybe beside the point. The OP makes a very good point. These guys have had a tough season and provided some genuine highlights for us to look back on and deserve a lot of praise for their efforts so far.

I'd be in favour of resting and rotating the team
.. had it not been for the Blip in form that followed from that last time.

Rory
17-03-2016, 10:17 AM
How anyone cannot acknowledge the effort the players have put in thus far is beyond me. AFAIK Henderson and Stokes would be cup tied IF we beat Utd and get the lesser greens in the final. For me that makes the performance and effort from both last night appreciated.

TheFamous1875
17-03-2016, 11:10 AM
No one can question the effort from the players. It's been a long time since I can remember seeing players in the original green and white giving it their everything.

What is questionable is the subs Stubbs makes (or doesn't to be exact).

maybe our players wouldn't be so knackered if he used his squad a bit more. For I don't know how many games now, I've been screaming for at least the last 20 minutes for Stubbs to bring on Boyle, El-Alagui and Gunnarsson.

It it seems to me that we're vulnerable at the end of games and I think those three would put a stop to that.

El-Alagui for his hold up play, strength and goal threat.

Boyle for his pace, his stretching of the opposition and general fear into the opposition.

And Gunnarsson for seeming reliable, strong, athletic and good in the tackle.

Having The Big Goon in the back three gives either Gray or Boyle the protection to get forward and keep the game in the oppositions half and be safe from the counter.

Our players are more knackered than they need to be because Stubbs is not utilising his squad.

If we'd made gees three changes, we would've at least went to extra time and would've probably won the cup.

CentreLine
17-03-2016, 11:29 AM

They did. They won a quarter final match despite playing an extraordinary amount of games. I know there are no medals for that but they deserved one in my book. So many people listening on the radio thinking they were throwing it away when in fact it was a superhuman effort to just keep going.

We can argue all we like that they are athletes etc etc but there are limits to what even the best athletes can be expected to achieve. The extra day off Inverness had showed at the end. Our guys held it together and showed how much bottle they have.

talcy
17-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Sadly, as we know all too well, effort & heart alone are not enough to gain medals. Massive credit to the players for the mental resilience they showed to bounce back from the disappointment of Sunday and the physical effort they all put in. It got them the result they deserved and they should be hugely proud of what they achieved and the message it sends about their character. Hugely proud. To clock up another Premiership scalp and get back to Hampden days after a last minute defeat in a cup final is absolutely outstanding. What a roller coaster ride they are giving us this season and it's many years since I've enjoyed being a Hibs fan or been as proud of a Hibs team as I am right now!

However, they really need to work on their game management as a group collectively. 3 days after losing a national cup final for being too gung-ho in the last few minutes of a game locked up at 1-1, what do they do whilst holding a 2-1 lead in a national cup QF with a few minutes to go? Keep being too gung-ho - taking quick efforts on goal after fast breakaways that gift the ball back to the opposition with time on the clock - piling yet more pressure on a knackered defence trying to protect an untried keeper. It was ludicrous and completely lacked guile and thought to just play the game at one pace and in one way, regardless of the score, the physical state of the team or the amount of time on the clock. By all means, get the ball up the other end with purpose, but keep it there some times for crying out loud, let us get our shape and grab a breather playing keep ball - unless you're 100% certain you're hitting the back of the net at the end of a fast break. Which not a single one of our strikers can be given our shots to goals ratio over the last 2 seasons. I'm all for attacking, entertaining football - but not braindead, headless chicken stuff that can prevent Hibs achieving genuine, measurable success. If our coaching staff want to develop these players as individuals and give them the best chance of really achieving something as a group this season, this is something that needs seriously worked on for the run in IMHO. I very much doubt what happened in the latter stages on Sunday or last night was at the behest of the bench, so the players need to start taking lessons on board or get hooked. Otherwise we will continue to sickeningly lose games we should have won for no other reason than the opposition being clinical in punishing mental mistakes or physical exhaustion they can predict, which is completely avoidable as it's not a case of losing because the other team are on a totally different level to us. With the intelligence and savvy they showed against Aberdeen, Hearts in the 2 derbies, St J, etc, we know the players can do it - they just need to remind themselves of that and draw on those experiences when the adrenaline is pumping and they're in the middle of a 100mph match at the business end of the season. I truly believe that aside from bounces of the ball & luck going for or against them - game management and knowing how and when to change the tempo in matches will be the difference between this group of players achieving something great or just falling short this season, as they have the ability and character for sure. Guess we should all buckle our seatbelts for the rest of the season.... ;-)

Sergio sledge
17-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Sadly, as we know all too well, effort & heart alone are not enough to gain medals. Massive credit to the players for the mental resilience they showed to bounce back from the disappointment of Sunday and the physical effort they all put in. It got them the result they deserved and they should be hugely proud of what they achieved and the message it sends about their character. Hugely proud. To clock up another Premiership scalp and get back to Hampden days after a last minute defeat in a cup final is absolutely outstanding. What a roller coaster ride they are giving us this season and it's many years since I've enjoyed being a Hibs fan or been as proud of a Hibs team as I am right now!

However, they really need to work on their game management as a group collectively. 3 days after losing a national cup final for being too gung-ho in the last few minutes of a game locked up at 1-1, what do they do whilst holding a 2-1 lead in a national cup QF with a few minutes to go? Keep being too gung-ho - taking quick efforts on goal after fast breakaways that gift the ball back to the opposition with time on the clock - piling yet more pressure on a knackered defence trying to protect an untried keeper. It was ludicrous and completely lacked guile and thought to just play the game at one pace and in one way, regardless of the score, the physical state of the team or the amount of time on the clock. By all means, get the ball up the other end with purpose, but keep it there some times for crying out loud, let us get our shape and grab a breather playing keep ball - unless you're 100% certain you're hitting the back of the net at the end of a fast break. Which not a single one of our strikers can be given our shots to goals ratio over the last 2 seasons. I'm all for attacking, entertaining football - but not braindead, headless chicken stuff that can prevent Hibs achieving genuine, measurable success. If our coaching staff want to develop these players as individuals and give them the best chance of really achieving something as a group this season, this is something that needs seriously worked on for the run in IMHO. I very much doubt what happened in the latter stages on Sunday or last night was at the behest of the bench, so the players need to start taking lessons on board or get hooked. Otherwise we will continue to sickeningly lose games we should have won for no other reason than the opposition being clinical in punishing mental mistakes or physical exhaustion they can predict, which is completely avoidable as it's not a case of losing because the other team are on a totally different level to us. With the intelligence and savvy they showed against Aberdeen, Hearts in the 2 derbies, St J, etc, we know the players can do it - they just need to remind themselves of that and draw on those experiences when the adrenaline is pumping and they're in the middle of a 100mph match at the business end of the season. I truly believe that aside from bounces of the ball & luck going for or against them - game management and knowing how and when to change the tempo in matches will be the difference between this group of players achieving something great or just falling short this season, as they have the ability and character for sure. Guess we should all buckle our seatbelts for the rest of the season.... ;-)

They tried taking it into the corner a couple of times and lost it quickly both times. They'd struggled to hold onto the ball for any decent length of time the whole game, so I couldn't see that changing near the end.

Strangely, and it might just be my memory playing tricks on me, but at the game I thought we were much better in the last few minutes of injury time than the previous 30 minutes. By attacking and taking the opportunity to have shots on goal it forced ICT back more than they had been and kept the ball (mostly) down their end. I thought it did a better job of keeping the ball at their end of the pitch than when they tried to take it to the corner flag.

Kaiserclem
17-03-2016, 12:56 PM
No one can question the effort from the players. It's been a long time since I can remember seeing players in the original green and white giving it their everything.

What is questionable is the subs Stubbs makes (or doesn't to be exact).

maybe our players wouldn't be so knackered if he used his squad a bit more. For I don't know how many games now, I've been screaming for at least the last 20 minutes for Stubbs to bring on Boyle, El-Alagui and Gunnarsson.

It it seems to me that we're vulnerable at the end of games and I think those three would put a stop to that.

El-Alagui for his hold up play, strength and goal threat.

Boyle for his pace, his stretching of the opposition and general fear into the opposition.

And Gunnarsson for seeming reliable, strong, athletic and good in the tackle.

Having The Big Goon in the back three gives either Gray or Boyle the protection to get forward and keep the game in the oppositions half and be safe from the counter.

Our players are more knackered than they need to be because Stubbs is not utilising his squad.

If we'd made gees three changes, we would've at least went to extra time and would've probably won the cup.

Absolutely spot an and IMHO a worrying trait that is now verging on stubbornness (or stubbyness). Why have 4 strikers on the bench every game but no intention of freshening up front. A few games now Stokes and Cummings have ran and put a shift in and needed changed to give us an outlet or other option but every week Stubbs doesn't change it. Either he knows something we do not or he is hoping we hang it out. This will probably be starting to annoy the strikers in the bench as why are they there if he has no intention to use them?

monktonharp
17-03-2016, 01:13 PM
You only deserve a medal if you win something,let's not get carried away now.not quite true and you know that. :wink::wink:Of all the Hibs players over all of the years, If they threw away their runners-up medals they could fill an 8' cube skip.

talcy
17-03-2016, 01:44 PM
They tried taking it into the corner a couple of times and lost it quickly both times. They'd struggled to hold onto the ball for any decent length of time the whole game, so I couldn't see that changing near the end.

Strangely, and it might just be my memory playing tricks on me, but at the game I thought we were much better in the last few minutes of injury time than the previous 30 minutes. By attacking and taking the opportunity to have shots on goal it forced ICT back more than they had been and kept the ball (mostly) down their end. I thought it did a better job of keeping the ball at their end of the pitch than when they tried to take it to the corner flag.

All fair points Sergio and it's easy for me to say "should this and should that" of course. My thoughts at the game were that both teams started off working hard, but neither really got into a rhythm and it was all a bit harum scarum until we got the opener. From that point on until quite a bit into the 2nd half, I thought you could see Hibs play with way more confidence and that was reflected in better possession. However, as we tired, I felt ICT pinned us back and you could sense their goal coming as we had some real let offs before they did score. As they threw everything at us, it gave Cummings, Henderson & Stokes chances to break and they went very direct towards goal - but I thought ICT players were getting back at our breaking players in those situations so fast that we were rushing our efforts on goal & so it only offered brief respite. Good for us to go the length of the park obviously and fair play when the shot on goal wins us a corner like Henderson did - at least we forced a save and the ball stays down the other end - but my memory is that too many times we didn't and the ball came right back down our throat again. Credit ICT players for piling the pressure on tracking back of course and Hibs players for having the desire to make lung busting runs like they did. Hibs players put everything into the games on Sunday & Wednesday, so must have been mentally & physically knackered and I apologise if I'm coming across as nit-picking on a group that deserve loads of praise. As for the last few minutes - I hated them and thought we rode our luck at times. Hence my comments on game management I suppose. With all the stop/start nonsense with Oxley going/staying/going, it massively disrupted the game, fired up ICT and gave the officials every chance to wallop 7 minutes extra time on the match that we could ill afford. All credit to the team though, they fought through it and are deservedly in the SF.

hibs0666
17-03-2016, 01:54 PM
The players will be altogether better for the experience of the last week. We have every chance of winning the cup but we need to take care of league business in the interim.

Onion
17-03-2016, 02:37 PM
The players will be altogether better for the experience of the last week. We have every chance of winning the cup but we need to take care of league business in the interim.

:confused: Hibs have next to no chance of winning the Cup. We are cursed, as 114 years of ridiculous bad luck, bad referees, crap players and hurt proves.

No referee wants to be the official who gave Hibs a fighting chance of winning, and no opposition wants to be the team that loses to Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final. They have the tradition of Hibs perennial failure to uphold.

For Hibs, it's much much more than just winning a football match.

Pete
17-03-2016, 04:29 PM
:confused: Hibs have next to no chance of winning the Cup. We are cursed, as 114 years of ridiculous bad luck, bad referees, crap players and hurt proves.

No referee wants to be the official who gave Hibs a fighting chance of winning, and no opposition wants to be the team that loses to Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final. They have the tradition of Hibs perennial failure to uphold.

:agree:

Unless someone can lift the curse of the Billy goat we've no chance.

It's not good players we need, it's a good priest.

Wee Effen Bee
17-03-2016, 04:49 PM

I just don't believe there are such things as curses. At the end of the day, it is just a game, albeit with added pressure on both teams. We have definitely lost out more than we should have but the more times we are in the final, the better chance we have of finally winning it! We have to get there first and the other teams want to win just as much as we do.
As for the chat on winning medals, I prefer to applaud what we have achieved so far this season: a championship club (which is what we are...at the moment) which has reached one final and is in the semis of another by defeating a rake of premier league teams. I don't need a medal of any sort to tell me we have done extremely well overall. Now, time to go on a wee winning run in the league to cement second place and then take it from there.

Wee Effen Bee
17-03-2016, 05:07 PM
:agree:

Unless someone can lift the curse of the Billy goat we've no chance.

It's not good players we need, it's a good priest.

Sorry, I would prefer we still had Cummings or Stokes up front than Father Ted or Derek Nimmo's bumbling clergy gadgey (one for us older guys Peter):greengrin

shetlandhibee
17-03-2016, 05:10 PM
I just don't believe there are such things as curses. At the end of the day, it is just a game, albeit with added pressure on both teams. We have definitely lost out more than we should have but the more times we are in the final, the better chance we have of finally winning it! We have to get there first and the other teams want to win just as much as we do.
As for the chat on winning medals, I prefer to applaud what we have achieved so far this season: a championship club (which is what we are...at the moment) which has reached one final and is in the semis of another by defeating a rake of premier league teams. I don't need a medal of any sort to tell me we have done extremely well overall. Now, time to go on a wee winning run in the league to cement second place and then take it from there.
:top markssensible post bee... hibs v sevco final? i think we.ll have a wee chance :wink: mmmmhhh GGTTH

Wee Effen Bee
17-03-2016, 05:27 PM
:top markssensible post bee... hibs v sevco final? i think we.ll have a wee chance :wink: mmmmhhh GGTTH

Aye, I agree: I think the other 3 teams are beatable SH so we do have a chance. Mind you, we won't be able to play our strongest team if we win the semi then meet Celtic. Stokes and Henderson will definitely be missed.:agree:

MB62
18-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I would prefer we still had Cummings or Stokes up front than Father Ted or Derek Nimmo's bumbling clergy gadgey (one for us older guys Peter):greengrin

Think that might be a WOOOSH moment from our newer poster :wink: :greengrin