PDA

View Full Version : Question Alan Combe

suavegav
16-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Could Alan Combe make a one game comeback at hampden?

matty_f
16-03-2016, 11:04 PM
No.

Hi Heid Yin
16-03-2016, 11:20 PM
What signal would that send out to Virtanen?
No, we simply have to rely on Virtanen to do the business on the day. We have enough experience in our rearguard to deal with anything Dundee United might throw at us and these players will, I'm sure, be encouraging and talking Virtanen through the game.

monktonharp
16-03-2016, 11:52 PM
No.why no? he's a registered player as far as I know. he also always wanted to play for us oneday,following the footsteps of his Da. he was on the Hampden park in a final Hibs played in a few years back, but on the wrong side:wink:

greenlex
17-03-2016, 12:11 AM
why no? he's a registered player as far as I know. he also always wanted to play for us oneday,following the footsteps of his Da. he was on the Hampden park in a final Hibs played in a few years back, but on the wrong side:wink:

I'm fairly certain his Da never played for Hibs.

greenlex
17-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Is Virtanen about 12 years old like? He's our reserve keeper so he will be in the sticks.0

monktonharp
17-03-2016, 12:18 AM
I'm fairly certain his Da never played for Hibs.you could be right mate, uncle then? where's Jonnyboy

greenlex
17-03-2016, 12:20 AM
you could be right mate, uncle then? Thompson Allan? where's Jonnyboy

His Da played Junior I think and was a Junior internationalist but never for Hibs.

monktonharp
17-03-2016, 12:21 AM
was he related to Bobby Combe?

greenlex
17-03-2016, 12:29 AM
was he related to Bobby Combe?

Aye I think (but Johnnyboy can confirm) Bobby was his auld mans(Alan) uncle. Definitely closely related.

esjorto
17-03-2016, 03:34 AM
Aye I think (but Johnnyboy can confirm) Bobby was his auld mans(Alan) uncle. Definitely closely related.

Bobby was his uncle. Met Bobby's widow a few years ago. Lovely wee lady.

Super_JMcGinn
17-03-2016, 05:13 AM
why no? he's a registered player as far as I know. he also always wanted to play for us oneday,following the footsteps of his Da. he was on the Hampden park in a final Hibs played in a few years back, but on the wrong side:wink:
What a fairy tale that would be huh !!! Would definitely be something to consider should the young goalie not prove up to it.

hibbymick
17-03-2016, 05:21 AM
NO

Tom Hart RIP
17-03-2016, 05:31 AM
How bad is Ox injury??

mjh
17-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Who will be the sub keeper for the semi?

greenlex
17-03-2016, 05:34 AM
How bad is Ox injury??

He's fine. He's suspended.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2016, 05:52 AM
Is Virtanen about 12 years old like? He's our reserve keeper so he will be in the sticks.0

That's what I don't get.

There's been about 5 threads asking about emergency keepers, Alan Combe, appealing yellow cards and whatever else. We have a back up keeper who has only played about 20 less 1st team games than our current number 1 in his career, it's not like we are right down to playing someone from the under 15s or something.

PiemanP
17-03-2016, 05:52 AM
A lot of us have been screaming out for oxley to be dropped. Now we have the chance to do so and people don't want the new guy? give him a couple games in the first team in the run up and play him in the semi.

marinello59
17-03-2016, 06:00 AM
A lot of us have been screaming out for oxley to be dropped. Now we have the chance to do so and people don't want the new guy? give him a couple games in the first team in the run up and play him in the semi.

Oxley is the best keeper we have. It would be madness to drop him for the league games.

hibee_girl
17-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Oxley is the best keeper we have. It would be madness to drop him for the league games.

We don't know he's the best as we've never seen what the other keeper can do

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2016, 06:22 AM
That's what I don't get.

There's been about 5 threads asking about emergency keepers, Alan Combe, appealing yellow cards and whatever else. We have a back up keeper who has only played about 20 less 1st team games than our current number 1 in his career, it's not like we are right down to playing someone from the under 15s or something.

:agree: but we seem to have a bit of insecurity around the goalkeeping position after having a string of bad goalies.

easty
17-03-2016, 06:24 AM
We don't know he's the best as we've never seen what the other keeper can do

We know Stubbs has chosen him over Virtanen up to now, so aye, he's our best keeper.

PiemanP
17-03-2016, 07:24 AM

I'd rather the lad got some first team games before dropping him into a televised cup semi final. In any case with the team we have we should still be cruising to 2nd place ahead of Falkirk.

AlbertK86
17-03-2016, 07:28 AM
I'd rather the lad got some first team games before dropping him into a televised cup semi final. In any case with the team we have we should still be cruising to 2nd place ahead of Falkirk.

Let's get 3 goals up against a few teams and then bring Vitanen on as a sub initially.

oconnors_strip
17-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Question is though who would be our sub keeper, Sean Brennan is our development keeper who warms up with the 1st team keepers on match day. Or do we have experience just in case anything happens

Ozyhibby
17-03-2016, 10:28 AM
If we take our chances against Dundee Utd then it won't matter who the goalie is. It's up to the outfield players to do their bit to protect him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stokesy's on fire
17-03-2016, 10:31 AM

You make a valid point. Stubbs will know best what to do though if he plays Otso then I'm sure it's because he will be good enough.

Does Combe ever play in bounce games? I'm pretty sure he would be over the hill now?

Ozyhibby
17-03-2016, 10:41 AM
You make a valid point. Stubbs will know best what to do though if he plays Otso then I'm sure it's because he will be good enough.

Does Combe ever play in bounce games? I'm pretty sure he would be over the hill now?

Combe at his best wasn't that good anyway and had a poor time the only time I've seen him play at Hampden. Otso is the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LustForLeith
17-03-2016, 10:54 AM
I was at school with Alan's sister and my family know his quite well. My dad worked with his dad in the Wire Works.

Good lad Alan. Remember scoring into him when he was in goals in the Lorne Primary playground.

scoopyboy
17-03-2016, 11:43 AM
That's what I don't get.

So who would your goalie on the bench be? We have to have one going by the rules.

FWIW I would try to sign as good a goalie as we can get and play him as first choice until the end of the season. Either emergency loan or one that was out of contract as of January 31st. Goalies don't have to be as fit as outfield players so a guy that hasn't played for a few months could get up to speed relatively quickly.

Guys who have watched our sub goalie in Development matches haven't been impressed with him.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2016, 11:54 AM
So who would your goalie on the bench be? We have to have one going by the rules.

FWIW I would try to sign as good a goalie as we can get and play him as first choice until the end of the season. Either emergency loan or one that was out of contract as of January 31st. Goalies don't have to be as fit as outfield players so a guy that hasn't played for a few months could get up to speed relatively quickly.

Guys who have watched our sub goalie in Development matches haven't been impressed with him.

I've seen Virtanen play for the development side once v Dundee (not sure if he's played other than that) but thought he looked fine.

Sean Brennan hasn't really kicked on this year and I reckon we could see him leave at seasons end but if he's only going to be on the bench for 1 game then I'm not too worried.

scoopyboy
17-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I've seen Virtanen play for the development side once v Dundee (not sure if he's played other than that) but thought he looked fine.

Sean Brennan hasn't really kicked on this year and I reckon we could see him leave at seasons end but if he's only going to be on the bench for 1 game then I'm not too worried.

Fair enough PB, I still reckon it's a big gamble to go into a semi with two rookie goalies.

If we go with that then I hope we play Virtanen in a League match or two before the semi.

monktonharp
17-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Combe at his best wasn't that good anyway and had a poor time the only time I've seen him play at Hampden. Otso is the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhe had a bit of a mare that day, no doubt but we had something special. he's been around the block though, been with quite a few Scottish clubs. would not say he was a poor goalie.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Fair enough PB, I still reckon it's a big gamble to go into a semi with two rookie goalies.

If we go with that then I hope we play Virtanen in a League match or two before the semi.

Agreed. He definitely needs a game before being thrown in at Hampden.

Conj
17-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Sean Brennan was on the bench for the cup tie against Raith, Hibs can hardly now turn round and claim they need an emergency keeper cos he isn't good enough to be on the bench in the semi.

dp00
17-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Need to play our reserve keeper would send out wrong message not too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silky
17-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Need to play our reserve keeper would send out wrong message not too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd play Virtanen. Yeah he's young but he's played a lot of games in the Finnish premier league and also played for the U21's. He canny be that bad and at the end of the day, if we don't give him a game, we'll never know how good he is.

McD
17-03-2016, 07:57 PM
What did he sign, a three year contract?

seems a bit daft to sign him for that kind of contract if he won't play him.

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2016, 08:11 PM
What did he sign, a three year contract?

seems a bit daft to sign him for that kind of contract if he won't play him.

Get Handling in the team as well then?

McD
17-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Get Handling in the team as well then?

Not quite the same, handling is returning from a long term serious injury, and we've seen a fair amount of him in the first team. Virtanen is in neither of those positions.

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Not quite the same, handling is returning from a long term serious injury, and we've seen a fair amount of him in the first team. Virtanen is in neither of those positions.

He's on a 4 year deal though so presumably when fully fit you think he should be in the team. Otherwise why would he have a deal of that length?

Eyrie
17-03-2016, 10:09 PM
He's on a 4 year deal though so presumably when fully fit you think he should be in the team. Otherwise why would he have a deal of that length?

Because his potential outweighs the evidence to date.

If Handling played for Raith or Morton, would we be clamouring to sign him?

Liam89
18-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Slightly off topic but did anyone see Sean Brennan during the pre match shooting practice at Hampden? The boy must have taken the confidence away from our strikers because he was flying around the goal saving everything! I assume it was Sean anyway as I didn't recognise him.

Big L
18-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Just a thought, when was the last time we brought a keeper thru development to have a career in the first team? As for Oxley, I've been saying since the Dumbarton game beginning of last season that he's not good enough. He doesn't come for cross balls, he can't get down, he doesn't move his feet, and don't think for a minute his teamates don't know it, he does not inspire confidence. I would say the only thing in his favour is his throw outs! Stubbs said when he lost his lens he couldn't see, he went on to say he can't see when he's wearing them, that just about sums it up then eh!!

Mark79
18-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Slightly off topic but did anyone see Sean Brennan during the pre match shooting practice at Hampden? The boy must have taken the confidence away from our strikers because he was flying around the goal saving everything! I assume it was Sean anyway as I didn't recognise him.

I watched him in warm up at Inverness midweek and he looked better than virtanen did. granted it was a warm up and not a match and I'm no scout but it's all opinion on here and that's mine.

eastterrace
18-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Just a thought, when was the last time we brought a keeper thru development to have a career in the first team? As for Oxley, I've been saying since the Dumbarton game beginning of last season that he's not good enough. He doesn't come for cross balls, he can't get down, he doesn't move his feet, and don't think for a minute his teamates don't know it, he does not inspire confidence. I would say the only thing in his favour is his throw outs! Stubbs said when he lost his lens he couldn't see, he went on to say he can't see when he's wearing them, that just about sums it up then eh!! kinda agree with you on this but there's a stack of supporters thinks he good on here , but guys like us don't know what we're talking about