PDA

View Full Version : Malonga and anier

hibs supporter
15-03-2016, 10:05 PM
I would have much rather had them than stokes still don't know why we got rid of dom and thought anier hold up play was different class

Scottie
15-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Here we go again.

THEY HAVE GONE SO MOVE ON :aok:

H18 SFR
15-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Here we go again.

You know, it is ok to reflect and comment.

Just Jimmy
15-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Hindsight is 20:20. Not one single hibs fan would have turned down stokes when we had the chance. If it had worked (and it might still), stubbs would be lauded. Thems the breaks.

Bay Area Hibees
15-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Don't think had chance to keep Dom as he wanted to go

FromTheCapital
15-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
15-03-2016, 10:25 PM
People are right, it's over now and both are gone. But I think at this point in time getting rid of Malonga and Anier and bringing in Stokes and Dagnall was probably poor bits of business in hindsight.

Yes Stokes was an absolute rabbit out the hat and 9/10 Hibs fans would probably have said yes to him, but Dagnall has been fairly poor and either of Malonga or Anier would have been an improvement on him. There was no need to really bring him in and we now lack that bit of quality in Malonga or the physical presence of Anier.

But nevertheless we continue on.

GreenLake
15-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Yawn

Captain Trips
15-03-2016, 10:30 PM
The Chance to take on Stokes was totally right and if I was in charge I would have signed him as well. However I do not think it worked as Rangers pulled away from us as we struggled to convert.

Pete
15-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Agree it's ok to reflect, comment and come out with boring gibberish.

If you're in a nursing home.

easty
15-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Neither is as good a footballer as Stokes. In my opinion that's not even debateable.

I loved Malonga, and if he didn't want to go then I'd have kept him, but he wasn't a regular in the starting 11 this season, so I think Stubbs was right to let him go when he wanted to.

As for Anier...we only seen him in a Hibs strip for about 5 mins for gods sake. Who's actually seen him play 90 mins, ever? We got him on loan cos he was out the worst Dundee Utd team for years. He's nae better than Dagnall and he's no as good as Keatings.

DTS
15-03-2016, 10:35 PM
its like the opp thought Ken what I've no seen started in 5 minutes a thread bashing stokes I'll fill the void

Eyrie
15-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I'd have kept Anier rather than returning him to Dundee United based on what he'd showed us, and that would have meant not bringing in Dagnall. So hindsight isn't clouding my judgement on that one.

Malonga wanted to go for family reasons which is fair enough. It looked a coup at the time to bring in Stokes and it's disappointing that he still hasn't shown the form that we were expecting despite having had plenty of game time.

Waxy
15-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Instead of dancing at around the side of the box and putting floaty no chance crosses in we should be firing crosses low with pace across goal. Then our predator strikers Will get goals. Like Jase against hearts, like Keatings against ICT. Not enough of these crosses whilst we've had loads of chances to do it. Defences will panic and we'll become far less predictabe.Stokes Cummings Keatings are good enough to do it.

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-03-2016, 10:55 PM
I've got a feeling that letting Anier go is going to come back to haunt us.

What's the chances of Dundee UTD and Hibs making the play-offs and Anier scoring the winner against us?

easty
15-03-2016, 11:00 PM
What's the chances of Dundee UTD and Hibs making the play-offs and Anier scoring the winner against us?

Dunno. Slim? :dunno:

Mikey09
15-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Malonga wanted to move to be near his family... Anier's loan was up and Mixu wanted him back. Why aren't people getting this?! Or is it just another excuse to bash Stokes?!

lyonhibs
16-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Malonga wanted to move to be near his family... Anier's loan was up and Mixu wanted him back. Why aren't people getting this?! Or is it just another excuse to bash Stokes?!

LOUD NOISES!!!!

I completely agree FWIW.

scoopyboy
16-03-2016, 08:06 AM
I would have much rather had them than stokes still don't know why we got rid of dom and thought anier hold up play was different class

Anier didn't play enough minutes to be categorised as different class IMHO.

scoopyboy
16-03-2016, 08:14 AM
I've got a feeling that letting Anier go is going to come back to haunt us.

I hear you but do we just keep players incase they come back and haunt us?

We would have the largest squad in the world.

SON OF PADDY
16-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Agree it's ok to reflect, comment and come out with boring gibberish.

If you're in a nursing home.

Come along now Peter, It's time for your medication !!!!!

jacomo
16-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Hindsight is 20:20. Not one single hibs fan would have turned down stokes when we had the chance. If it had worked (and it might still), stubbs would be lauded. Thems the breaks.

Taking Stokes as another option? Sure.

Swapping him for Malonga? Plenty of us had serious reservations about that, but were ignored as Stokes would definitely 'score goals for fun' in this team.

Keep on with the Hibs.net myth-making though.

Andy74
16-03-2016, 08:35 AM

We get it but we had a choice. We chose wrong.

Turkish Green
16-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Malonga has started 7 games for Pro Vercelli in Serie B. The team is in the relegation zone so I doubt Malonga would have joined if he was wanted at Hibs for the remainder of his contract.

SlickShoes
16-03-2016, 08:47 AM
I do think Malonga leaving was bad for hibs but our problems are more to do with McGeoch AND Fyvie both being out at the same time as well as Paul Hanlon.

Those three players were basically the core of the team, creating reasonably solid defence and linking the midfield to the attack. To not have one, maybe even two we can cope but with all 3 out it's been much harder for hibs to adapt, obviously this is up to Alan Stubbs more than anyone since he keeps trying to get us to play the way we did with them in the team.

Just Jimmy
16-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Taking Stokes as another option? Sure.

Swapping him for Malonga? Plenty of us had serious reservations about that, but were ignored as Stokes would definitely 'score goals for fun' in this team.

Keep on with the Hibs.net myth-making though.

Myth making?

Malonga regularly split the support. I loved him but the fact, as has been well documented, is he wanted to go.

We could have replaced him with someone no one had heard off, some journeyman. However Hibs brought in Stokes, something seen as a huge success. We fought of ICT for his signature, also well documented.

Malonga had 6 goals in 23 games this season and wasn't a regular in the side. Don't get me wrong, to date Stokes hasn't been a success. However the point I'm making is that the only myth making is that Malonga was, and is somehow the messiah that would have fired us to league cup and title success.

It seems that you become a better Hibs player when you leave Hibs.

The_Horde
16-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Myth making?

Malonga regularly split the support. I loved him but the fact, as has been well documented, is he wanted to go.

We could have replaced him with someone no one had heard off, some journeyman. However Hibs brought in Stokes, something seen as a huge success. We fought of ICT for his signature, also well documented.

Malonga had 6 goals in 23 games this season and wasn't a regular in the side. Don't get me wrong, to date Stokes hasn't been a success. However the point I'm making is that the only myth making is that Malonga was, and is somehow the messiah that would have fired us to league cup and title success.

Absolutely.

You need to look at Mcgeouch, Fyvie and Hanlon for reasons for our recent downturn in form.

Fyvie and Mcgeouch in particular were dominating games before injuries.

SkintHibby
16-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Wonder how Malonga is getting on at his new club?

confused
16-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Here we go again.

100 per cent in agreement

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2016, 09:15 AM
I wish we had kept big Maka - he was a superb goalie and would have made this team so much better.

Hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.

confused
16-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Stan Vincent was a good centre ?

Andy74
16-03-2016, 09:30 AM
I wish we had kept big Maka - he was a superb goalie and would have made this team so much better.

Hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.

Are you suggesting that decisions made just this January when we were still fighting on all fronts aren't relevant to be debated? Particularly when we have come crashing down since?

16-03-2016, 09:33 AM
The club had no choice in regards to either of them. Dom wanted to leave as his family were unhappy over here and Anier was recalled by Dundee Utd, something they were perfectly entitled to do.

Time to move on IMO.

jacomo
16-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Myth making?

Look at you, moving the goal posts.

In your post above, you said that 'not one Hibs fan would have turned down Stokes'.

That is a myth, pure and simple.

jacomo
16-03-2016, 10:14 AM
The club had no choice in regards to either of them. Dom wanted to leave as his family were unhappy over here and Anier was recalled by Dundee Utd, something they were perfectly entitled to do.

Time to move on IMO.

Malonga was under contract.

Do you think he's the first player who wanted to leave a club for family reasons but still had a contract to honour?

I suspect the truth is that our coaching team didn't try very hard to persuade him to stay until his contract was up.

To say Hibs had no choice in the matter is ridiculous.

16-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Do you think he's the first player who wanted to leave a club for family reasons but still had a contract to honour?

I suspect the truth is that our coaching team didn't try very hard to persuade him to stay until his contract was up.

True but do you really want to keep an unhappy player? Its no as if we were short on strikers either.

BoomtownHibees
16-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I thought it was said at the time that Hibs held the power to either keep Anier or let him go back?

Lago
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Yes but it's pointless, it will change nothing.

jacomo
16-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Are you suggesting that decisions made just this January when we were still fighting on all fronts aren't relevant to be debated? Particularly when we have come crashing down since?

Andy, I think the truth is that many people don't want to accept they might have got this one wrong.

There is no shame in that. Football is unpredictable. Look at Lineker saying last summer that Ranieri was the wrong choice for Leicester.

Right now, our January business looks like something of a catastrophe. Fans who have invested in this season through buying tickets, shares etc and entrusted Hibs with that money, are absolutely entitled to question how it has been spent.

Giro Playboy
16-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Christ , players move on. Just accept it. Anier who hardly played was not our player and Malonga was desperate to leave. He was huffy enough. Imagine his attitude if we kept him here against his will.
Stokes is a better player than both of them. Stubbs just has to find a way to use him properly.

Just Jimmy
16-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Look at you, moving the goal posts.

In your post above, you said that 'not one Hibs fan would have turned down Stokes'.

That is a myth, pure and simple.

A pure goal scorer with a track record?

Your objection is obviously well documented then?

Who did you want to replace Malonga instead? Keeping Dom isn't an option btw, he wanted to go.

Fwiw I thought Dagnal would be a great catch as well, his record is excellent down south.

Stokes so far hasn't worked out but to say he was a poor replacement for Malogna is nonsense.

Just Jimmy
16-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Andy, I think the truth is that many people don't want to accept they might have got this one wrong.

There is no shame in that. Football is unpredictable. Look at Lineker saying last summer that Ranieri was the wrong choice for Leicester.

Right now, our January business looks like something of a catastrophe. Fans who have invested in this season through buying tickets, shares etc and entrusted Hibs with that money, are absolutely entitled to question how it has been spent.

I don't disagree with you in that it hasn't worked. My issue is the hindsight is 20:20. Stubbs made choices that he was lauded for at the time. We can't as a support now use them to beat him with.

LaMotta
16-03-2016, 11:43 AM

:agree:

jacomo
16-03-2016, 11:45 AM
A pure goal scorer with a track record?

Your objection is obviously well documented then?

Who did you want to replace Malonga instead? Keeping Dom isn't an option btw, he wanted to go.

Fwiw I thought Dagnal would be a great catch as well, his record is excellent down south.

Stokes so far hasn't worked out but to say he was a poor replacement for Malogna is nonsense.

Holding a player to their contract is 'not an option'?

Who are you, Scott Allan's agent?

Enough of this, you are talking mince. Well documented mince, obviously.

superfurryhibby
16-03-2016, 11:48 AM
I don't disagree with you in that it hasn't worked. My issue is the hindsight is 20:20. Stubbs made choices that he was lauded for at the time. We can't as a support now use them to beat him with.

This.

The reasons for our failings have already been well documented on here. Bottom line is Stubbs made a big decision that hasn't worked out. There was an element of a gamble about it. The league was still there to be won and he calculated that Stokes would make the difference.It's not worked out like that.

The underlying issues have been around before this season and they've not been addressed. Lack of width, inability to create enough chances from the possession, lack of plan B, tactical inflexibility, loss of key players through injury etc, etc.

Smartie
16-03-2016, 12:01 PM
This.

The reasons for our failings have already been well documented on here. Bottom line is Stubbs made a big decision that hasn't worked out. There was an element of a gamble about it. The league was still there to be won and he calculated that Stokes would make the difference.It's not worked out like that.

The underlying issues have been around before this season and they've not been addressed. Lack of width, inability to create enough chances from the possession, lack of plan B, tactical inflexibility, loss of key players through injury etc, etc.

:agree:

Would anyone in their right mind not have taken Stokes when he was available?

Malonga divided the fans - I was a huge fan but I acknowledge many weren't.

This did not seem like it was a bad move at the time - frankly it was a no-brainer but it hasn't worked out for us.

Would anyone with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight NOT handle this one differently? Unfortunately we can't turn back the clock, we have to work with what/who we've got.

I'd also say that it hasn't worked out for Stokes YET. We have several options we can utilise in the final third, Stubbs may yet stumble upon a winning combination that fires us to the Scottish Cup and promotion. It may not seem likely right now but the fact remains we're still in the running for these competitions.

And for all the failings you mention have been evident at times throughout this season we were sitting in a pretty tidy position on Christmas Day - only since the The Rangers game have we started to stumble.

(By the way, getting into the spirit of the wishful thinking and turning the clock back - anyone else think that Stokes and Malonga would make an outstanding pairing?)

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2016, 12:04 PM

No I'm not. I just think that hypotheticals about 2 players that got 6 goals between them this season shouldn't be our main focus.

NorthNorfolkHFC
16-03-2016, 12:06 PM
The Chance to take on Stokes was totally right and if I was in charge I would have signed him as well. However I do not think it worked as Rangers pulled away from us as we struggled to convert.

It's right of you like him as a player.

Given the context I wouldn't have signed him in January having played no football.

I would have tried to keep Dom until summer. He knew the club, knew how we played and was fit enough to play.

Importantly he could also score goals.

So no, I wouldn't have signed Stokes.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Turkish Green
16-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Time to move on IMO.

Malonga was under contract. He could have stayed with the club until end of the season. If his family was unhappy he could have sent them back to Italy and he stayed and saw out his contract. I have been in Turkey for 3 years and only see my family every 3 months, apart from our daily Skype calls. It is my job, I live with it.

I still maintain that Malonga left because Stubbs did not want him to stay due to Stokes arriving.

Just Jimmy
16-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Holding a player to their contract is 'not an option'?

Who are you, Scott Allan's agent?

Enough of this, you are talking mince. Well documented mince, obviously.

Well you could obviously hold him to his contract. He could have stayed, been unhappy or whatever. That would have been cracking HR.

That said, you could let your 6 goals in 23 games, in and out the team player go and sign a guy from the champions who knows the club and has an outstanding goal scoring record.

That was the choices that faced Alan Stubbs in January. Knowing what he knows now he may well have made a different choice.

He didn't know it then and every man and his dog praised him for replacing Dom (even if they didn't want to see him go) with Anthony Stokes.

You can't say he was wrong now because it hasn't to date worked. Of course if we'd kept Dom and Stokes had gone to smash goals in for ICT no one would be blaming Stubbs for missing out on him for Hibs would they?

monktonharp
16-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Anier didn't play enough minutes to be categorised as different class IMHO.:agree: I missed a couple of games. he must have played in them because I cant recall seeing him . he is a DUFC player though so we cant girn about him leaving.

HibsNutter
16-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Stokes is obviously a better player than Malonga, at the time the club were applauded for bringing in a player of that quality, who ended up replacing Malonga. Even in hindsight, I still stand by that decision. I'd much rather the club showed ambition to bring in a player of Stokes' ability every transfer window, a huge statement of intent, rather than stick with someone who hasn't exactly pulled up any trees (his cult hero status made people believe he was better than he actually was imo). The club should always seek to improve on the players we have.

The problem is that Stokes went pretty much the whole season before joining us on the sidelines. He was always going to take time to sharpen us, but there is a lot left to play for this season and we've seen snippets of the quality he is capable of. The truth is that Stokes is more likely to fire us to the Premier League or a Scottish cup final than Malonga ever was.

Andy74
16-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Stokes is obviously a better player than Malonga, at the time the club were applauded for bringing in a player of that quality, who ended up replacing Malonga. Even in hindsight, I still stand by that decision. I'd much rather the club showed ambition to bring in a player of Stokes' ability every transfer window, a huge statement of intent, rather than stick with someone who hasn't exactly pulled up any trees (his cult hero status made people believe he was better than he actually was imo). The club should always seek to improve on the players we have.

The problem is that Stokes went pretty much the whole season before joining us on the sidelines. He was always going to take time to sharpen us, but there is a lot left to play for this season and we've seen snippets of the quality he is capable of. The truth is that Stokes is more likely to fire us to the Premier League or a Scottish cup final than Malonga ever was.

We let three strikers go in the window and brought in two. I don't think the choice was ever Stokes or Malonga. Overall the changes haven't worked.

You underplay Malonga's ability and impact considerably and your last sentence is a bit odd given the return so far from Stokes. Malonga scored goals for us in important games.

jacomo
16-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Well you could obviously hold him to his contract. He could have stayed, been unhappy or whatever. That would have been cracking HR.

That said, you could let your 6 goals in 23 games, in and out the team player go and sign a guy from the champions who knows the club and has an outstanding goal scoring record.

That was the choices that faced Alan Stubbs in January. Knowing what he knows now he may well have made a different choice.

He didn't know it then and every man and his dog praised him for replacing Dom (even if they didn't want to see him go) with Anthony Stokes.

You can't say he was wrong now because it hasn't to date worked. Of course if we'd kept Dom and Stokes had gone to smash goals in for ICT no one would be blaming Stubbs for missing out on him for Hibs would they?

Please stop confusing opinion with fact.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the highlighted part simply isn't true.

There were dissenting voices on here and elsewhere, but ignored by pub bores like you who clearly never listen to an opposing argument.

Here's a fact for you: replacing a first team regular with a guy who had barely played all season was a gamble.

Here's an opinion: so far, that gamble has not paid off.

ancient hibee
16-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Everyone keeps on throwing in bits about Malonga's family.Stubbs said quite clearly at the time that he would never stand in the way of a player who didn't want to stay and fight for his place .It seems that Malonga saw Stokes coming in as reducing his chances to play and opted to go for playing reasons.I was sorry because I think that Malonga and Stokes would have been an excellent pairing-equally I could be totally wrong about that:greengrin

Allant1981
16-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Anier didnt play enough to say it was a mistake to let him go back(if we even had that option) malonga whilst a decent player isnt half as good as some on here make him out to be, his performances this season have shown that, the odd good game in the scottish first division isnt exactly the signs of a quality player

jgl07
16-03-2016, 07:06 PM
:agree: I missed a couple of games. he must have played in them because I cant recall seeing him . he is a DUFC player though so we cant girn about him leaving.
I never saw Anier play for Hibs at all. He appeared to be a total sicknote and a waste of space.