PDA

View Full Version : Leicester, an Example??

highland hibbee
15-03-2016, 08:55 AM
What they do and we don't is attack at pace. Think back to Ivan when he was in his first spell, prior to ( I think) a hamstring injury. When he ran at teams with his pace you could see the panic in defenders , they knew that once he knocked the ball past them he was going to leave them in his smoke. For years previously, and pretty much since, we have played at a pedestrian pace. The few times we have opened up and run at teams are when we have looked like a top team. Not sure where the recruitment team look, but we have lots of tidy players, who can control the ball and play it about the midfield, all to no avail if there's no player who can see the pass, have it controlled before the defender realise and has gained 2 or 3 strides in that time. Not necessarily a striker or winger, even a midfielder who breaks at speed. Sevco and That other lot from PBS have had god knows how many penalties between them, all gained by attacking player running at pace into the box.
There hardly a player in the current Leicester team who won't run at the opposition. Vice versa there's hardly a player in our current team, or any of our teams in the last goodness knows how many years, who will run at the opposition. I like McGeoch, McGinn, think Henderson is even better( opinions I know) Bartley does an excellent job, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fyvie have a fair burst of speed when he broke through at Aberdoom? Pace, and a midfielder who can score goals please Alan. GGTTH

spike220
15-03-2016, 09:27 AM
What they do and we don't is attack at pace. Think back to Ivan when he was in his first spell, prior to ( I think) a hamstring injury. When he ran at teams with his pace you could see the panic in defenders , they knew that once he knocked the ball past them he was going to leave them in his smoke. For years previously, and pretty much since, we have played at a pedestrian pace. The few times we have opened up and run at teams are when we have looked like a top team. Not sure where the recruitment team look, but we have lots of tidy players, who can control the ball and play it about the midfield, all to no avail if there's no player who can see the pass, have it controlled before the defender realise and has gained 2 or 3 strides in that time. Not necessarily a striker or winger, even a midfielder who breaks at speed. Sevco and That other lot from PBS have had god knows how many penalties between them, all gained by attacking player running at pace into the box.
There hardly a player in the current Leicester team who won't run at the opposition. Vice versa there's hardly a player in our current team, or any of our teams in the last goodness knows how many years, who will run at the opposition. I like McGeoch, McGinn, think Henderson is even better( opinions I know) Bartley does an excellent job, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fyvie have a fair burst of speed when he broke through at Aberdoom? Pace, and a midfielder who can score goals please Alan. GGTTH

Time to unleash some pace at them, I think Boyle and stokes up top would be better. Give the muffin man a break on the bench, he has had a weight on his shoulders for a while.

Geo_1875
15-03-2016, 09:47 AM
All that's needed is pace, 11 players to exceed all expe tations, and every other team in the league to be poor to average.

Jdawg
15-03-2016, 11:46 AM
A few weeks ago Henderson chipped a ball over the back line as he saw Boyle's run, it was Boyle's willingness to make the run and at some speed that allowed us to score. Quick thinking and pace, most teams can't handle it.

Playing 4 centre midfielders (akin to what fenlon used to do) means they are not going to make runs like this, we try to play intricately and teams just sit in a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1.

Our goals for this season is poor.

Jdawg
15-03-2016, 11:51 AM
I would go 4-3-3 (with wingers up front) or 3-5-2 (with Boyle and Carmichael as the wing backs. To often LS will go forward, come to a shuddering halt then cut inside, which loses any momentum.

When you get the opposition on the back foot, that's when it's easier to score. Case and point County's second goal. The boy powered forward with a dangerous ball into the box (yes fountaine maybe should have cleared it but play like that creates danger).

MWHIBBIES
15-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Leicester are playing to their strengths, we'd be stupid to try and play like them when we don't have the players for it. Also this isn't a video game, pace isn't any kind of free win and easy promotion like some are making out.

Waxy
15-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Stokes and Cummings dont fit the way our midfield play. We got into some great positions out wide which all ended in either crap crosses or taking one touch to many and not getting it in the box at all((this happens all the time). I'd like to see us hammer the ball low and hard right into the goalmouth and get ready for anything. It'll result in alot of 50/50s and we'll certainly score more.

Iain G
15-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Leicester are playing to their strengths, we'd be stupid to try and play like them when we don't have the players for it. Also this isn't a video game, pace isn't any kind of free win and easy promotion like some are making out.

Its not just pace, its the intelligence to know how and when to use it to best effect. We need more width to stretch teams and some pace at key points to put pressure on the opposition defenders, especially the fullbacks, to get crosses in or to win corners/free kicks around the box.

A pacey, wide player would give this team another dimension and make us harder to play against as we have the opportunity to pass it around and patiently or to quickly hit on the break and be much more unpredictable.

Stubbs just has to work out how to balance the team accordingly, whether it is a fullback pushing on, an old fashioned winger or a forward who likes to play out wide and get into space. We need to be asking more questions of the opposition defences than we do at present.