PDA

View Full Version : Son's first final

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 07:11 PM
After years of reading this board decided to bite the bullet and join in. Just back in Yorkshire after taking my 9 year old to his first cup final and second Hibs match.

Despite many warnings of what could happen he really thought we would win it and was gutted after the game. Living down here I'm competing with his mates EPL obsessions and shockingly rugby! Was really worried we lost him yesterday, he was more down than I expected. Asked if he was still happy we went and his answer was an abrupt no.

Then asked if he fancied coming up with me to the next game money/time allows to which he shouted of course and burst into the John McGinn song :aok: Many thanks to the other 29,998 hibees who had such a strong impression on him!

Even at at the low points this club gets under the skin! A lot to still play for this year and need to regain earlier form ASAP to help us get back to where we belong but this could still be an excellent season for us!

To the hardcore heading to Inverness on Wednesday I both envy and salute you!

Nice to finally say hello to you all and thanks for the entertainment during my lurking years!

Allan

007 Mickey Weir
14-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Nice one and welcome

I'm_cabbaged
14-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Hopefully you'll both be back in May!!! Tell the weeman not to worry, he'll get used to it 🙄

Golden Bear
14-03-2016, 07:17 PM
After years of reading this board decided to bite the bullet and join in. Just back in Yorkshire after taking my 9 year old to his first cup final and second Hibs match.

Despite many warnings of what could happen he really thought we would win it and was gutted after the game. Living down here I'm competing with his mates EPL obsessions and shockingly rugby! Was really worried we lost him yesterday, he was more down than I expected. Asked if he was still happy we went and his answer was an abrupt no.

Then asked if he fancied coming up with me to the next game money/time allows to which he shouted of course and burst into the John McGinn song :aok: Many thanks to the other 29,998 hibees who had such a strong impression on him!

Even at at the low points this club gets under the skin! A lot to still play for this year and need to regain earlier form ASAP to help us get back to where we belong but this could still be an excellent season for us!

Nice to finally say hello to you all and thanks for the entertainment during my lurking years!

Allan

That post has just brought a wee smile to my face! Well done Allan and hopefully your son will go on to see some famous Hibernian victories for many years to come.

Big_Franck
14-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Allan

Firstly, welcome to the board. What took you so long? :)

Glad to hear the wee man wasn't put off. Hopefully you'll both be able to come back up in April or May and that we'll win this time.

tartanhibee
14-03-2016, 07:19 PM
It was my sons (4) first final yesterday aswell he loved going on the bus. Hes been to a few games this season. Brought a lump to my throat last night when putting him to bed he told me "I love the hibees daddy" strange how it all works in there minds.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Always sad to see upset young kids after another defeat fortunately all the young peeps in our group have seen one victoty in 2007

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Hopefully you'll both be back in May!!! Tell the weeman not to worry, he'll get used to it 

We will both be back before May, as good as the big days out are I don't get up enough so when I do I try to tie in with a home game cos I would rather go to Easter Rd than anywhere else, plus I need those loyalty points!!

Thanks to you and Mickey for the hello!

Billy Whizz
14-03-2016, 07:23 PM
That post has just brought a wee smile to my face! Well done Allan and hopefully your son will go on to see some famous Hibernian victories for many years to come.

Me too, the kids are the future of Hibernian

hibsbollah
14-03-2016, 07:26 PM
It was my son's first final too. He was so into it, loved the atmosphere, sang the McGinn song with everyone else, generally acted like a radge. When the second goal went in he went quiet, then his face sort of crumpled and the tears came. You wonder if you're doing the right thing, exposing him to the mental torture of supporting a team that let's you down more than it lifts you up. Still, like your boy mine wants to go back, so he must have it under his skin now too. It's a sickness :greengrin

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 07:29 PM
In the time it took to me to reply more had said hello so this is a general thanks for the welcome to everyone, I am new to this so will get more savvy in time hopefully with the replies and everything.

No idea what took me so long to start, as a Glaswegian born into a family who support the soap dodging imposters you will all, I hope, forgive me being a little slow! :flag:

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 07:32 PM
It was my sons (4) first final yesterday aswell he loved going on the bus. Hes been to a few games this season. Brought a lump to my throat last night when putting him to bed he told me "I love the hibees daddy" strange how it all works in there minds.

Great stuff :aok:

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 07:41 PM

That's excellent, if they think like that at 4 after a defeat imagine the reaction when they get a better day at hampden in the future (hopefully in a few months!)

i have an appalling personal record at hampden though so if we make it back there in may I might need to miss out for the greater good!

MyJo
14-03-2016, 07:43 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?308647-Season-Ticket!!&p=4619339&viewfull=1#post4619339

4 must be the perfect age, old enough to join in and kind of understand but too young to appreciate that supporting Hibs is like being repeatedly kicked in the nuts :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
14-03-2016, 07:51 PM
That's excellent, if they think like that at 4 after a defeat imagine the reaction when they get a better day at hampden in the future (hopefully in a few months!)

i have an appalling personal record at hampden though so if we make it back there in may I might need to miss out for the greater good!

We're all in the same boat mate, dinnae miss out, our day will come!!!!

hibs69
14-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Good stuff, Otley, and same as me...., reading this forumfor years but never joined. Excellent that your son still wants to come back to support the Mighty Cabbage.

I was at the game yesterday with a mate, my youngest son (21) and a couple of his mates. Said to him, "Remember 07 Scottie when it snowed and you were nearly greetin coz yer thighs were numb?!"
"Naw ah wuznae ya erse!" :LOL:

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 07:55 PM
It was my son's first final too. He was so into it, loved the atmosphere, sang the McGinn song with everyone else, generally acted like a radge. When the second goal went in he went quiet, then his face sort of crumpled and the tears came. You wonder if you're doing the right thing, exposing him to the mental torture of supporting a team that let's you down more than it lifts you up. Still, like your boy mine wants to go back, so he must have it under his skin now too. It's a sickness :greengrin

Its horrible to to see them so upset, I think trying to perk him up after the game actually helped perk me up! It might make me cruel as a parent but it's nice to have someone to suffer and celebrate with accordingly :greengrin

Besides, we have no choice, it is our responsibility to pass this sickness on to our children and our children's children, we need future generations to remind jambos of their shady financial past until the end of time :agree:

Billy Whizz
14-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Its horrible to to see them so upset, I think trying to perk him up after the game actually helped perk me up! It might make me cruel as a parent but it's nice to have someone to suffer and celebrate with accordingly :greengrin

Besides, we have no choice, it is our responsibility to pass this sickness on to our children and our children's children, we need future generations to remind jambos of their shady financial past until the end of time :agree:

A win on Wednesday, and you can put 16th April in your diary, to bring him back to Hampden

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Its horrible to to see them so upset, I think trying to perk him up after the game actually helped perk me up!

My old man is 68 and thats what I had to do for him yesterday, it wasnae very pleasant though sitting listening to his heartfelt fears that he would never see us lift the Scottish Cup as we consumed some post match pints.

OtleyHibs
14-03-2016, 08:22 PM
My old man is 68 and thats what I had to do for him yesterday, it wasnae very pleasant though sitting listening to his heartfelt fears that he would never see us lift the Scottish Cup as we consumed some post match pints.

That so many have come and gone without seeing us lift that trophy is devastating. There will be a party in heaven/hell/limbo and wherever else we all "move on" to when we finally get our hands on it (hibees here, hibees there....)

A few finals recently (though they ended badly) and still in it this year, I have felt more hopeful about it in recent years excluding the few days after each final loss. You and your dad keep the faith, our time will come. Keep rattling at the door and it has to happen one day!

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-03-2016, 08:27 PM
He gave me his usual thats me finished with Hampden games now, I've heard it all before! :-)

Joe6-2
14-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Hopefully you'll both be back in May!!! Tell the weeman not to worry, he'll get used to it 🙄

45 years, I still can't get used to it!!

G B Young
14-03-2016, 08:35 PM
It was my son's first final too. He was so into it, loved the atmosphere, sang the McGinn song with everyone else, generally acted like a radge. When the second goal went in he went quiet, then his face sort of crumpled and the tears came.You wonder if you're doing the right thing, exposing him to the mental torture of supporting a team that let's you down more than it lifts you up. Still, like your boy mine wants to go back, so he must have it under his skin now too. It's a sickness :greengrin

That is a serious consideration these days. When I inherited the family Hibs tradition in the 70s, much of the support had seen the Famous Five play, Turnbull's Tornadoes were in their prime and we were a respected European force. Yes there were still plenty of painful defeats, but no parent would seriously consider NOT encouraging their child to support Hibs for fear of the mental torture they'd be exposed to. Nowadays I'm not so sure.

Joe6-2
14-03-2016, 08:41 PM
That is a serious consideration these days. When I inherited the family Hibs tradition in the 70s, much of the support had seen the Famous Five play, Turnbull's Tornadoes were in their prime and we were a respected European force. Yes there were still plenty of painful defeats, but no parent would seriously consider NOT encouraging their child to support Hibs for fear of the mental torture they'd be exposed to. Nowadays I'm not so sure.

Said this to my son yesterday, he's planning on taking my grandson next season when he's 4, I did this with him too! You do wonder tho!!!

hibsbollah
14-03-2016, 08:57 PM
That is a serious consideration... no parent would seriously consider NOT encouraging their child to support Hibs for fear of the mental torture they'd be exposed to. Nowadays I'm not so sure.

It was tongue in cheek on my part. It's not real mental torture, if he learns nothing else from yesterday that fitba' isn't life and death but an enjoyable diversion from it, then I'll be happy.

Yuillsy
14-03-2016, 08:58 PM
I took both my daughters yesterday. They're 6 and 3. They've got season tickets and have been to lots of games but yesterday was their 1st trip to Hampden. Despite the result they had a brilliant day and I think they entertained the people on our bus with their non-stop singing of the John McGinn song from Edinburgh to Glasgow!!!!

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Being at the football with your kids or previously with your dad when Hibs win anytime is one of life's great joys.

Being with them when they win a final is the icing on a very special cake.

I am as low as a snakes belly today but this thread has really helped.

Thank you

I will try and stop grumbling now and begin looking forward to our next try.