PDA

View Full Version : David Gray - caught out of postion too many times

AndyB_70
14-03-2016, 05:24 PM
I know this will be unpopular but having thought about their 2nd goal yesterday it struck me I've seen it before. (Not the mistake by Fonts mind as that was just one of those things)
Get someone with pace to get in behind Gray as more often than not he is too far up the park to track back and be effective. We have been exposed here more than once or twice this season. Don't get me wrong I like him but teams have figured this out. We have Morton and Dumbarton are recent examples.
If we want our full backs up and down the pitch then play 3 at the back and allow them to cover.

I'm still going to Inverness. Madness I tell ye. It's madness.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Or play three centre halfs to compliment the fact Gray and Stevenson are rarely in their own half!

AndyB_70
14-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Or play three centre halfs to compliment the fact Gray and Stevenson are rarely in their own half!

I don't see Lewis getting caught out like this very often. It always appears to be down our right, their left that they punish us. Maybe teams don't have nippy right wingers or they know Lewis will get back so they don't try it. :wink:

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 05:34 PM
I don't see Lewis getting caught out like this very often. It always appears to be down our right, their left that they punish us. Maybe teams don't have nippy right wingers or they know Lewis will get back so they don't try it. :wink:

That's because Lewis is essentially a midfielder. He very, very rarely plays a proper FB role, rather choosing to cut in and pass. I also think that McGreggor doesn't have the pace to deal with his FB being up the park, he was relying on Bartley far to much yesterday and their second goal was exactly that.... We're stupidly chasing the game and Bartley is having to do the job of the Centre half cause he knows he can't get back. Joke.

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Gray was chasing back in the centre of the pitch at the 2nd goal. I've no idea where he'd been.

MyJo
14-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Gray was chasing back in the centre of the pitch at the 2nd goal. I've no idea where he'd been.

Trying to get us the goal our strikers couldn't.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Trying to get us the goal our strikers couldn't.

Would you suggest that our full back should be darting up the pitch frantically in the final minutes of a match that was a certainty for extra time? The bench had to give the instruction to calm down but no, Keatings and Boyle to try and chase the game. Mental.

TheFamous1875
14-03-2016, 05:47 PM
McGregor should have closed down the crosser with Bartley filling in at centre half. Instead, it was Bartley who had to run out, giving the crosser more time and space to make the cross. Nothing was Fontaine's fault - what happened to him is just one of those things (See Gerrard slip).

Dom'sFirstTouch
14-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Gray is clearly instructed to always be the only option wide right, effectively operating as a winger for much of the game. There never appears to be any midfielder given the job of covering for this, and as the game wears on and they tire no one bothers.

Having said all that I think Gray's performances have taken a slight dip in comparison with last season (possibly due to fitness issues?).

HibeeDaz6270
14-03-2016, 05:58 PM
McGregor should have closed down the crosser with Bartley filling in at centre half. Instead, it was Bartley who had to run out, giving the crosser more time and space to make the cross. Nothing was Fontaine's fault - what happened to him is just one of those things (See Gerrard slip).:agree: McGregor should have shuffled across and closed the man down.

Biggie
14-03-2016, 06:02 PM
McGregor should have closed down the crosser with Bartley filling in at centre half. Instead, it was Bartley who had to run out, giving the crosser more time and space to make the cross. Nothing was Fontaine's fault - what happened to him is just one of those things (See Gerrard slip).

I'm with you mate....I was screaming on mcgregor to go out and at least close the space down, but he seemed to stay on his position as Bartley was steaming back, but the lad got a good 10-15 yards down the wing before Bartley got close enough. The rest is history.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 06:44 PM
David was just on STV news TOTALLY missing the point.

He said the fans have had a good day out the cups are bonus.

Well first of all travelling on an ancinet crappy bus that took 3.5 hours to get back to Edinburgh, spending around £100 to watch yet another fail does not rank as a good day out in any way.

I am sure others had far worse days than me so sorry David i would guess the majority of fans would argue it was not a good day out.

Playing a bang average Ross County team in the final was a huge bonus providing an excellent opportunity to win a cup such a good opportunity is unlikely to be presented again anytime soon.

Imho the players must achieve something this season to keep fans onside there are 2 opportunities left failure in both would be a huge disappoint.

And just for info David failure never provides good days out Hibs dont enter competitons to have days out we want to win.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 06:54 PM

Well first of all travelling on an ancinet crappy bus that took 3.5 hours to get back to Edinburgh, spending around £100 to watch yet another fail does not rank as a good day out in any way.

I am sure others had far worse days than me so sorry David i would guess the majority of fans would argue it was not a good day out.

Playing a bang average Ross County team in the final was a huge bonus providing an excellent opportunity to win a cup such a good opportunity is unlikely to be presented again anytime soon.

Imho the players must achieve something this season to keep fans onside there are 2 opportunities left failure in both would be a huge disappoint.

And just for info David failure never provides good days out Hibs dont enter competitons to have days out we want to win.

Speaking for myself, it is not, ever, a "good day out" seeing my team losing at Hampden in a cup final. It's a day out totally ruined.

Also, I've never understood this daft expression "the cups are a bonus". What does "bonus" mean? Do Hibs want to win it or not? Unless he means it's a bonus if Hibs were to win a cup, but the main priority is to get promotion. It's certainly not a "bonus" getting beat.

Smartie
14-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Speaking for myself, it is not, ever, a "good day out" seeing my team losing at Hampden in a cup final. It's a day out totally ruined.

Also, I've never understood this daft expression "the cups are a bonus". What does "bonus" mean? Do Hibs want to win it or not? Unless he means it's a bonus if Hibs were to win a cup, but the main priority is to get promotion. It's certainly not a "bonus" getting beat.

If they're a bonus they should let us in to watch for free.

Idiotic mindset imo and just a sleekit attempt to divert a bit of pressure after the team ballsed up. Not that it's needed - a wee "we gave it our all but fell just short on the day" which is both honest and accurate would be better. We'd accept that.

I don't like this talk, particularly not when I'm contemplating travelling to Inverness for a game in a competition that I now know is only considered to be a bonus.

I was with a few ex-players yesterday - their cup winners medals mean the world to them and rightly so.

He either needs to get a grip or think a bit more before talking.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 07:05 PM
If they're a bonus they should let us in to watch for free.

Idiotic mindset imo and just a sleekit attempt to divert a bit of pressure after the team ballsed up. Not that it's needed - a wee "we gave it our all but fell just short on the day" which is both honest and accurate would be better. We'd accept that.

I don't like this talk, particularly not when I'm contemplating travelling to Inverness for a game in a competition that I now know is only considered to be a bonus.

I was with a few ex-players yesterday - their cup winners medals mean the world to them and rightly so.

:agree:

bawheid
14-03-2016, 07:07 PM

I think after a few paragraphs you got to the correct answer. Is it not just the case that this is a footballer half-parroting what his manager has been saying (about the cups being a bonus but the league being a priority), except getting it slightly wrong?

I doubt Gray has meant it as its being made out here. He's paid to play right back for Hibs and I don't expect to see him on Question Time any time soon. That's fine though.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I think after a few paragraphs you got to the correct answer. Is it not just the case that this is a footballer half-parroting what his manager has been saying (about the cups being a bonus but the league being a priority), except getting it slightly wrong?

I doubt Gray has meant it as its being made out here. He's paid to play right back for Hibs and I don't expect to see him on Question Time any time soon. That's fine though.

He is the captain part of that job is communication to say fans had a good day out is just plain stupid.

bawheid
14-03-2016, 07:19 PM
He is the captain part of that job is communication to say fans had a good day out is just plain stupid.

I had a good day out if I'm honest. Cup final with my old man and my boy. Result wasn't great but I've seen it all before anyway so can't find myself raging at what David Gray might have to say on STV news.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 07:21 PM
I had a good day out if I'm honest. Cup final with my old man and my boy. Result wasn't great but I've seen it all before anyway so can't find myself raging at what David Gray might have to say on STV news.

That is good but I would guess you are in a minority.

Scottie
14-03-2016, 07:25 PM
I want the captain of my team to be big enough to come out and say it as it is and not to fudge it like some half wit. His comments are as useful as his recent performances.

Onceinawhile

Up until 4:45 I'd agree.

Daft, daft thing for David Gray to come out with. Fontaine's words were a lot more sensible.

bawheid

Possibly. My son has now been to Hampden three times. 1-5, 4-3 and 1-2. He's got a better record than me overall. Looking forward to him making it 2 for 2 in May.

hibbysam
14-03-2016, 07:26 PM

I keep reading this, gray made a tackle in the middle of the park, that very fortunately fell County's way, which left a massive gap in behind, he wasn't caught up the park, he was making a challenge on the half way line! Most challenges fell their way, the Bartley one for the first goal which was a great challenge which unfortunately beat our keeper!

emerald green

The bit in bold - that's one way of putting it I suppose. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs

Unfortunately I don't think he will be in the minority. So many folk were all about the day out - where are we going before the match and all that chat.

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2016, 07:28 PM
I keep reading this, gray made a tackle in the middle of the park, that very fortunately fell County's way, which left a massive gap in behind, he wasn't caught up the park, he was making a challenge on the half way line! Most challenges fell their way, the Bartley one for the first goal which was a great challenge which unfortunately beat our keeper!

Why was he in the middle of the park then?

Agree about the first goal, really good attempt by Bartley that fell right in the boys path.

Thegreenside
14-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Needs to understand the role of a rb is to defend first before anything else

BoomtownHibees
14-03-2016, 07:57 PM

Do you think he just chooses to push so far up the park himself or do you think it could be something he is told to do to provide the width our "diamond" lacks?

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 08:03 PM

I had yet again at Hampden, one of the worst days of my life, superceded only by the fact I feel 10 times worse today.

I sincerely hope Gray has been misquoted, if he hasn't he is so far divorced from reality its frightening.

I am sick to death of this pish, I am not in the slightest bit interested in us competing, I am interested in us winning or metaphorically speaking dying trying.

If I had been part of a team that lost a cup final, and at far far, far, far lower levels I have, I wouldn't have come out with patronising pish like that.

When it happened to me I felt physically sick to the pit of my stomach and full of regret at the outcome for days afterwards and we got gubbed and were never in the game.

I would probably have felt a million times worse if we had control of the game and let it slip.

If it was meant to make me fell better David it didn't.

It made me think that you thought you had done your job getting us there and we should just have enjoyed the day.

An absolute losers mentality.

I honestly cant believe we ****ed it up yet again.

I have no qualms over the players efforts but its about time we signed some winners who just wont be beat, not guys for whom getting to a cup final is like winning the pools.

If that means we have to do all the dirty horrible things like tackle, fight, set out to stop other teams playing and fluke a win bring it on.

So totally fed up I cant describe it!

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Do you think he just chooses to push so far up the park himself or do you think it could be something he is told to do to provide the width our "diamond" lacks?

Dunno :dunno::dunno::dunno: what do think? Perhaps we could also discuss we he and or the coaches have learned nothing from recent defeats.

Smartie
14-03-2016, 08:09 PM
I had yet again at Hampden, one of the worst days of my life, superceded only by the fact I feel 10 times worse today.

I sincerely hope Gray has been misquoted, if he hasn't he is so far divorced from reality its frightening.

I am sick to death of this pish, I am not in the slightest bit interested in us competing, I am interested in us winning or metaphorically speaking dying trying.

If I had been part of a team that lost a cup final, and at far far, far, far lower levels I have, I wouldn't have come out with patronising pish like that.

When it happened to me I felt physically sick to the pit of my stomach and full of regret at the outcome for days afterwards and we got gubbed and were never in the game.

I would probably have felt a million times worse if we had control of the game and let it slip.

It made me think that you thought you had done your job getting us there and we should just have enjoyed the day.

I have no qualms over the players efforts but its about time we signed some winners who just wont be beat, not guys for whom getting to a cup final is like winning the pools.

If that means we have to do all the dirty horrible things like tackle, fight, set out to stop other teams playing and fluke a win bring it on.

:agree:

TBH under Stubbs the PR has always been pretty good - he's been generally accurate in his appraisal of matters, the players have spoken well and generally we've felt like we're on the same wavelength as them.

Fontaine's comments were class - taking a bit of responsibility, acknowledging the situation and trying to get the fans onside - nobody could argue with Fontaine's tweet.

I think Gray's comments might be the first PR own goal of Stubbs' time at Hibs. I think he's misread the situation and made a mistake making the comments he has. Club captain too, pretty poor.

I think most fans will be (at least) a bit peeved, some more than that such as your good self.

Edit - I thought Stubbs got the "free shot at Rangers" comments wrong as well now I think of it.

BoomtownHibees
14-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Dunno :dunno::dunno::dunno: what do think? Perhaps we could also discuss we he and or the coaches have learned nothing from recent defeats.

Well I would think he is going on instructions from the sidelines. Yes he should take responsibility himself to know when to go and when to stay back however if he's being told as the game went on to get up the park and push for the winner then he's not to blame is he?

bawheid
14-03-2016, 08:23 PM

I get all of that. I feel it too, but maybe I'm not as far along the spectrum as you!

Not sure what that's telling me really.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Well I would think he is going on instructions from the sidelines. Yes he should take responsibility himself to know when to go and when to stay back however if he's being told as the game went on to get up the park and push for the winner then he's not to blame is he?

Do you know he was told to attack attack atttack even so near the end of game or is it a guess? Personally if i was him and my MAIN job was to defend i know where i would be in the 90th minute but hay the defeat is not only down to him. However his stupid comment is :rolleyes:

BoomtownHibees
14-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Do you know he was told to attack attack atttack even so near the end of game or is it a guess? Personally if i was him and my MAIN job was to defend i know where i would be in the 90th minute but hay the defeat is not only down to him. However his stupid comment is :rolleyes:

It's an educated guess based on him doing it in every other game he has played in. If he is told that his main job is to defend and he has went against they orders that many times do you think he would still be picked?

I agree about his comment btw

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 08:38 PM

So totally fed up I cant describe it!Don't exist but you are welcome to try and find some, even the best players lose cup finals occasionally.

Eyrie
14-03-2016, 08:54 PM

Has anyone told Stubbs? :dunno:

As regards Gray's comments, I can only hope that he has been misquoted. A cup run this year is a bonus, but losing in the final can only ever be a disappointment. It certainly does not constitute a "good day out".

Alfred E Newman
14-03-2016, 08:59 PM
A good day out? Another good day wasted more like.

hibbysam
14-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Why was he in the middle of the park then?

Agree about the first goal, really good attempt by Bartley that fell right in the boys path.

He was on the half way line making a tackle, a 50/50 that happened to fall perfectly for their player... If gray doesn't step out to make the challenge then it's 2 v 1 down his side, which brings the same scenario, he felt he had to step out and make the challenge, which was a good challenge which didn't fall his way unfortunately. I've not watched it back so may have missed Gray making an error... However from what I remember, he made a very good challenge on the half way line which fell to the feet of their player who sent Gardyne on his way.

madhatter
14-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Regarding Gray's comments - can only assume he trying to redirect focus in the camp and take the sting out of it for some of the other players by playing it down. Very poor comment nevertheless.

What alarmed me most is the fitness of our squad seems to be seriously depleted. Gray challenged wrongly at the half way line for 2nd goal with Bartley in attendance. Gray should have backed off and let Bartley deal with that man. They pretty much tackled each other.

Bartley tried his hardest to get back but looked shattered whilst their player resembled roadrunner. Gray was jogging and may as well have joined us in the crowd with McGinn and a few others that clearly took the "my teammates can deal with that because I'm shattered" approach.

Not meant in a critical way to any one player but what I've noticed in recent times (our loss of form) is players taking the easy option - Thomson lost possession for the first but made a very timid attempt to stop their play developing. Taking a breather should never occur whilst defending.

Hats off to Bartley for his attempt at both as he seemed to try to work through the pain barrier.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 09:24 PM
I get all of that. I feel it too, but maybe I'm not as far along the spectrum as you!

Not sure what that's telling me really.

Give it time mate

Give it time :greengrin

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Don't exist but you are welcome to try and find some, even the best players lose cup finals occasionally.

I personally don't think its too much to expect a better return than 2 in 10 or whatever it is?

Football is full of guys who were utter crap but just wouldn't lie down and of course they don't win all the time, but they win a lot more than their talent would indicate they should.

I hate to use them as an example but in my lifetime the Gunts have won far more games against us than their comparative ability indicated they should.

If we need to sign some nasty ****ers who wont give in, but are ugly *******s who swear in front of the minister and don't profess undying love for the club to get to that stage, do it now.

For absolute clarity I am not decrying any of the current squad who have shown far more mettle than their predecessors over many years, but unless Gray has been misquoted, his comments both stagger and hugely disappoint me.

We are already far less far along our journey than I had hoped, if he is representative, we have barely started it.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 09:40 PM
I personally don't think its too much to expect a better return than 2 in 10 or whatever it is?

Football is full of guys who were utter crap but just wouldn't lie down and of course they don't win all the time, but they win a lot more than their talent would indicate they should.

I hate to use them as an example but in my lifetime the Gunts have won far more games against us than their comparative ability indicated they should.

If we need to sign some nasty ****ers who wont give in, but are ugly *******s who swear in front of the minister and don't profess undying love for the club to get to that stage, do it now.

For absolute clarity I am not decrying any of the current squad who have shown far more mettle than their predecessors over many years, but unless Gray has been misquoted, his comments both stagger and hugely disappoint me.

We are already far less far along our journey than I had hoped, if he is representative, we have barely started it.Don't remember us having any thugs in 2007, quality players won us that game. You use Hearts as an example, I'll use St Mirren. Team full of big ugly mutants and they got relegated and are utter pish. Aberdeen are flying high with quality like Rooney, McGinn etc.

I'd prefer we continue to sign good players like McGinn and stay well away from the Goodwin types.

Jones28
14-03-2016, 09:46 PM

As far as I'm concerned up until 5:45 it was a great day out.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Don't remember us having any thugs in 2007, quality players won us that game. You use Hearts as an example, I'll use St Mirren. Team full of big ugly mutants and they got relegated and are utter pish. Aberdeen are flying high with quality like Rooney, McGinn etc.

I'd prefer we continue to sign good players like McGinn and stay well away from the Goodwin types.

Scott Brown. Rob Jones, Chris Hogg, David Murphy, Mikey Stewart, even Boozy could mix it?

All guys who could and did put it about when they had to.

If you don't have 2007 type quality which we don't, you make it up by battling.

Doesn't it depress you that we are continuously outfought

You win the battle and then your talent enables you to destroy them.

Talent without grit takes you nowhere.

Aberdeen have plenty guys not afraid to put the foot in and up for a battle.

Taylor, Robson, Reynolds, Considine & Flood straight of the top of my head

GreenArmyyy!
14-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Probably going to get my head taken off for this but today has been absolutely horrible because of yesterday and this has made me extremely angry.

What a loser attitude and that kind of comment just makes us look like a losers football club.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 10:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned up until 5:45 it was a great day out.

What time zone were u in :hibees or did u just lose an hour?

Biggie
14-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Probably going to get my head taken off for this but today has been absolutely horrible because of yesterday and this has made me extremely angry.

What a loser attitude and that kind of comment just makes us look like a losers football club.

No argument from me mate.......**** day today, and now have to face the Yams at work tomorrow...

Thegreenside
14-03-2016, 11:04 PM

Probably a bit of both but there where a few brakes down his side and a player of his experience should of restricted himself. A defenders main objective is to defend and keep clean sheets

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Scott Brown. Rob Jones, Chris Hogg, David Murphy, Mikey Stewart, even Boozy could mix it?

All guys who could and did put it about when they had to.

If you don't have 2007 type quality which we don't, you make it up by battling.

Doesn't it depress you that we are continuously outfought

You win the battle and then your talent enables you to destroy them.

Talent without grit takes you nowhere.

Aberdeen have plenty guys not afraid to put the foot in and up for a battle.

Taylor, Robson, Reynolds, Considine & Flood straight of the top of my head
No because we aren't, plenty of examples this season that make that statement look like absolute rubbish. Plenty of our team can ''mix it'' as well, dunno where you are getting this pish from.

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 11:15 PM
I think Gray is just towing the party line. I can imagine Stubbs has told him what to say. Speaking to one of his team mates apparently Dave is not the sharpest tool in the box

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Speaking to one of his team mates apparently Dave is not the sharpest tool in the box

That's utter ***** and slander.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 11:37 PM
No because we aren't, plenty of examples this season that make that statement look like absolute rubbish. Plenty of our team can ''mix it'' as well, dunno where you are getting this pish from.

So you reference back to 2007 to support your argument, don't like the response because it ruins your argument and then want to talk about just this season?

Hibs have been a soft touch for most of the last 20 odd years.

This lot have more bottle than many of their predecessors, but in the final analysis to date have failed to achieve anything more. Time will tell.

Are there any other rules or criteria you want to implement to try and support your argument?

I have way more to do than debate matters with someone like you, who when all else fails resorts to rubbish and pish.

Forever the retort of someone who has lost the debate and can't hack it.

Over and out.

liamh2202
14-03-2016, 11:50 PM
I think Gray is just towing the party line. I can imagine Stubbs has told him what to say. Speaking to one of his team mates apparently Dave is not the sharpest tool in the box

Gies peace...... Utter bollocks, either stop making up pish or find a new source and tell your old one to atop making up pish

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 11:54 PM
So you reference back to 2007 to support your argument, don't like the response because it ruins your argument and then want to talk about just this season?

Hibs have been a soft touch for most of the last 20 odd years.

This lot have more bottle than many of their predecessors, but in the final analysis to date have failed to achieve anything more. Time will tell.

Are there any other rules or criteria you want to implement to try and support your argument?

I have way more to do than debate matters with someone like you, who when all else fails resorts to rubbish and pish.

Forever the retort of someone who has lost the debate and can't hack it.

Over and out.
Obviously I am talking about this season because that is all I am interested in, it is all that matters when talking about this squad. This team haven't even had 1 season together, obviously time will tell...

We won the cup in 2007 without thugs running around kicking people, very relevant in response to your theory that we should start signing these huddies because it is the way to win. It didn't ''ruin my argument'' at all :faf: Far more relevant than us being ''soft'' for 20 years, what use is saying that? Nothing to do with the current squad who have shown plenty of times they are anything but ''soft''.

I resort to calling your post pish because it is, many others including our current manager would agree I think, not because I ''cant hack it'' :faf:

neil7908
15-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Think other folk have mentioned this but the way we currently play gives us no natural width in midfield. This means both Gray and Stevenston are forced to push up the pitch, leaving gaps at the back. County's 2nd goal was very similar to the kind of attacks Morton had so much luck against us with a few weeks ago. Vital we add some balance to the midfield which I think will help us defensively and going forward

AndyB_70
15-03-2016, 09:23 AM
As I said earlier teams have figured out that this is a weakness in our setup. The 2 goals against that manky mob came from balls hit into that space behind Gray. They seen it and did it well in the first game. Morton and Dumbarton recently have exposed us in that area and now Ross County. If we want our full backs to be used as attackers then play 3 at the back.