PDA

View Full Version : Hampden - Not Fit for Purpose

MB62
14-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Regardless of the result yesterday, this gripe would have been the same, HAMPDEN IS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
The ground itself, whilst not even being anywhere near the largest you will find for a national stadium, cannot cater for the amount of fans it's meant to hold. The lack of toilet facilities, especially for ladies, who make up a good percentage of football fans these days, is very poor and I'm surprised there was not any trouble or even injuries as people queued forever to get in. Not only that, because of the passageways, it was almost a battle to get by those waiting to use the loo (North stand) and if anybody had tripped or been knocked over, goodness knows what might have happened.

However, the Not fit for purpose' complaint start long before you get to the stadium, and then a long time after also.

The ground was probably about 8,000 short of capacity yesterday but the lack of parking available for buses was shocking. Our bus was registered and had a number allocated to it with instructions on where to go, but this was miles away from the ground. We arrived at least 50 minutes before kick-off but it felt like we were half way back to Edinburgh before we got parked, not helped by the Weegie polis on bikes who wouldn't let a bus stop to drop off passengers, even in the area were directed to.
In this day and age, a national stadium should have designated coach parking close to the ground, along with car parking facilities. It should also have easy access and egress to and from the ground on to motorway to get traffic in and out quite quickly (we were still jammed in by other coaches at 6.00pm and there were plenty others still there after we managed to squeeze out).

This is a 1980's stadium surrounded by a 1950's infrastructure and is just not good enough for a national stadium, I HATE THE PLACE.

Frazerbob
14-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Maybe if the bogs weren't used by dozens of smokers there would be less of an issue?

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 12:07 PM
The stands are too shallow, meaning larges areas of the stadium have poor views. Really poor re-development job was done. I wish I'd had chance to experience the old Hampden.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 12:12 PM
It's a crap stadium. I honestly struggle to think of 1 redeeming feature it has. The view from top tier of the South maybe?

Stands behind the goals miles from the pitch, shallow gradient to the other stands offering shan views, tightly packed walkways, turnstiles that are like a relic from the 70s and unable to cope with numbers (we joined our queue 25 minutes before kick off time and got in just as the teams were coming out), terrible to non existent parking facilities and quite literally not one decent access or exit route.

It's a dump.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-03-2016, 12:13 PM
It's a hole. Do we really need a national stadium?

Real Emerald
14-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Regardless of the result yesterday, this gripe would have been the same, HAMPDEN IS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
The ground itself, whilst not even being anywhere near the largest you will find for a national stadium, cannot cater for the amount of fans it's meant to hold. The lack of toilet facilities, especially for ladies, who make up a good percentage of football fans these days, is very poor and I'm surprised there was not any trouble or even injuries as people queued forever to get in. Not only that, because of the passageways, it was almost a battle to get by those waiting to use the loo (North stand) and if anybody had tripped or been knocked over, goodness knows what might have happened.

However, the Not fit for purpose' complaint start long before you get to the stadium, and then a long time after also.

The ground was probably about 8,000 short of capacity yesterday but the lack of parking available for buses was shocking. Our bus was registered and had a number allocated to it with instructions on where to go, but this was miles away from the ground. We arrived at least 50 minutes before kick-off but it felt like we were half way back to Edinburgh before we got parked, not helped by the Weegie polis on bikes who wouldn't let a bus stop to drop off passengers, even in the area were directed to.
In this day and age, a national stadium should have designated coach parking close to the ground, along with car parking facilities. It should also have easy access and egress to and from the ground on to motorway to get traffic in and out quite quickly (we were still jammed in by other coaches at 6.00pm and there were plenty others still there after we managed to squeeze out).

This is a 1980's stadium surrounded by a 1950's infrastructure and is just not good enough for a national stadium, I HATE THE PLACE.

Totally agree. We had a pass for the purple car park next to the stadium but when we got there at around 2pm it was full. We then had to park almost at the side of the motorway. We had people on the coach who found the long walk a challenge to say the least. We didn't get back home until after 8 o'clock. Three full hours after getting on the bus is just shocking. The traffic lights weren't letting the coaches throughand there was no police trying to help the traffic flow and as you say the stadium wasn't full. You have to expect it to be busy and a bit of a wait to get away but that yeterday was just not acceptable.

Greencore
14-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Think there has been talk of moving from Hampden to murryfield before

Kojock
14-03-2016, 12:19 PM

No chance, the GFA would never allow that to happen.

Billy Whizz
14-03-2016, 12:19 PM
It's a death trap. I was in the North and the congestion at half time for people going to the toilets was unbelievable. The top area is far too small, and was almost leading to crushing

Smartie
14-03-2016, 12:25 PM
I think we do need a national stadium but I don't think Hampden is suitable.

They have a huge area of ground to use but they don't make the most of the space they do have.

It would be better if they knocked it down and rebuilt it on the same spot.

It would be better still if they found a suitable site with decent transport links and built a state-of-the-art stadium that they could use for gigs etc throughout the rest of the year as well.

It's shambolic and not fit for purpose but that makes it kind of appropriate as a national stadium for Scotland.

Jamesie
14-03-2016, 12:26 PM

I would have no problem with this - sell Hampden and reinvest the proceeds into grass roots Scottish football as well as a share in Murrayfield. There are few national stadia - perhaps the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff - with transport connections to compare with Murrayfield. I doubt very much if it would take three hours to get back to Glasgow from there in the way it seems to have taken that long for many of us to make the return yesterday.

JeMeSouviens
14-03-2016, 12:26 PM
The stands are too shallow, meaning larges areas of the stadium have poor views. Really poor re-development job was done. I wish I'd had chance to experience the old Hampden.

The only thing I can think of worse than the new re-developed on the cheap Hampden is the old Hampden. It had all the drawbacks it has now plus open uncovered terracing, crushing, raining bottles, bits of stand falling off, ash terracing, rivers of pish, etc.

Apparently the new one has really nice hospitality areas for suits which is why it's a 5 star stadium that gets European finals and Parkhead and Ibrox, both of which are actually great for ordinary mug punters watching the game, aren't.

Kind of sums up all that's wrong with modern football. :rolleyes:

Beefster
14-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't mind Hampden. It is what it is. It's a complete ballache to get away from after a game though. Took my car longer to get the few miles from Hampden to the motorway than it did for the remaining 50 odd miles.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I like it.

Just sucks that we rarely win there.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-03-2016, 12:29 PM
No chance, the GFA would never allow that to happen.

My buddy made a decent point, the only real reason there is a need for the hole is to give the infirm a neutral ground to play their cup bigot fests.

Bob1875
14-03-2016, 12:30 PM
The pies are pish aswell.

Argylehibby
14-03-2016, 12:34 PM
I would have no problem with this - sell Hampden and reinvest the proceeds into grass roots Scottish football as well as a share in Murrayfield. There are few national stadia - perhaps the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff - with transport connections to compare with Murrayfield. I doubt very much if it would take three hours to get back to Glasgow from there in the way it seems to have taken that long for many of us to make the return yesterday.

Does Hampden not belong to Queens Park? :dunno:

JimBHibees
14-03-2016, 12:36 PM
The only thing I can think of worse than the new re-developed on the cheap Hampden is the old Hampden. It had all the drawbacks it has now plus open uncovered terracing, crushing, raining bottles, bits of stand falling off, ash terracing, rivers of pish, etc.

Apparently the new one has really nice hospitality areas for suits which is why it's a 5 star stadium that gets European finals and Parkhead and Ibrox, both of which are actually great for ordinary mug punters watching the game, aren't.

Kind of sums up all that's wrong with modern football. :rolleyes:

All the redevelopment money went into the main stand. Incredibly terrible job done especially the stands behind the goal. Atrocious stadium and takes an age to get away from it.

Billy Whizz
14-03-2016, 12:37 PM

And they don't sell chips or Pizza in the North stand

Waxy
14-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Such an unlucky ground for us it's supernatural.

midfield_maestro
14-03-2016, 12:40 PM
If you park on Carmunnock Road beside Old Cathcart Parish Church and then drive home via Carmunnock, across Cathkin Braes, A749, A725 , hookup up with M8 you will be a half mile walk from the ground and back to Edinburgh in an hour. Done it many times.

overdrive
14-03-2016, 12:44 PM
We couldn't even see the crossbar of one of the goals from where we were sitting.
We got the train yesterday. We left at FT, waited in queue at Mount Florida in a relatively reasonable time frame compared to other occasions. Got to Central, walked to Queen Street, etc. We arrived at Queen Street at the same time as a colleague who said he couldn't find the bus he was booked on, had searched for a bit, gave up and walked back into the city centre. Yet it took the same time as the train. :faf:

lyonhibs
14-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Must be the only national stadium in Europe where it's legitimately quicker to walk back to the city centre than take public transport/extract yourself on a supporters bus.

Absolute midden of a stadium, but I bet it's the best place in the world to be when we win a final, a feat that, in 4 such visits, I've yet to see us achieve.

confused
14-03-2016, 12:47 PM
We left. The ground at 4.45 ,got in a taxi at 5.30 and arrived at our bus 1mile away at 6.40. What a s----hole of a place,

madabouthibs
14-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I was in the East, row F, and the view was horrendous.

Hibeesforever
14-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Important thread. £25 over-priced for facilities. Lots of better seats unsold by SFA in main stand.
View poor for sitting owing to oval legacy layout. Pleased standing occurred as singing was aided. Sitting and singing doesn't work.
"Hampden, Scotland's national stadium"...this is an embarrassment. Murray field should be used instead.
50 minutes to leave, infrastructure poor. How 150,000 were catered for in the olden days, I have no idea.

Jamesie
14-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Does Hampden not belong to Queens Park? :dunno:

You're absolutely right. They can keep it then under my plan.

Biggie
14-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Had a space in the yellow car park as we had hospitality and the Glasgow police kept us in the car park for 40 minutes....sitting doing nothing as it was a H&S issue apparently.
Then when we did move it was seriously heaving......never again parking in any of these car parks

Golden Bear
14-03-2016, 01:00 PM
I must have looked a dodgy character as they wouldn't sell me a bottle of water and insisted that they first of all poured the water into a plastic tumbler. However they had no problem in selling me a tube of Pringle crisps.

Thems the rules though!

Golden Bear
14-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Important thread. £25 over-priced for facilities. Lots of better seats unsold by SFA in main stand.
View poor for sitting owing to oval legacy layout. Pleased standing occurred as singing was aided. Sitting and singing doesn't work.
"Hampden, Scotland's national stadium"...this is an embarrassment. Murray field should be used instead.
50 minutes to leave, infrastructure poor. How 150,000 were catered for in the olden days, I have no idea.

I've been in Hampden with an attendance of over 140,000 for a Celtic v Leeds match. Mind boggling these days!!

TrinityHibs
14-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Parked up near Kings Park. 15 minute walk to the ground. Going home we cut across to the M77 on to the M8 thro the city and were back in Edinburgh by 6.30. Sat in D1 row M and had a great view. Hampden was not the issue yesterday

I'm_cabbaged
14-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Had a space in the yellow car park as we had hospitality and the Glasgow police kept us in the car park for 40 minutes....sitting doing nothing as it was a H&S issue apparently.
Then when we did move it was seriously heaving......never again parking in any of these car parks

Was the same, I take it you headed for the m74? I was back in Edinburgh by 7 😀

Albion Hibs
14-03-2016, 01:13 PM
It's a terribly design stadium. The design makes the atmosphere garbage regardless of how full it is. What is even worse is the lack of transport infrastructure connecting it to the main rail stations.

The rail service providers come a close second.

Moulin Yarns
14-03-2016, 01:19 PM
And they don't sell chips or Pizza in the North stand

Replaced by the Chicken and Tarragon or Goats cheese and Feta pies.:wink:

hibeerealist
14-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Such an unlucky ground for us it's supernatural.

Don't blame the ground, I recall we played Rangers in a LC final at Parkhead and we lost that too!!!

Pat 0-7
14-03-2016, 01:27 PM
It should never have been redeveloped. A new purpose built stadium in central Scotland (Stirlingshire?) with dedicated rail and road links should have been built to serve all of Scotland not just the GFA.

GlesgaeHibby
14-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Must be the only national stadium in Europe where it's legitimately quicker to walk back to the city centre than take public transport/extract yourself on a supporters bus.

Absolute midden of a stadium, but I bet it's the best place in the world to be when we win a final, a feat that, in 4 such visits, I've yet to see us achieve.

:agree: What was the reason for the Polis sending folk from Mount Florida to Kings Park? Ended up just walking back into town. Was into the city centre before 6.

Dump of a place.

LancashireHibby
14-03-2016, 01:39 PM
We left as soon as the final whistle went and were back at Central for 5.15pm. Plenty of special trains before the game as well. No grumbles from me on that front, though admittedly it helped being in the West Stand so we got a bit of a head start on most for the queue.

derekHFC
14-03-2016, 01:40 PM
I drove to park at the Queens Park car park, which is the one listed on the SFA website. It did say that it was only used when dry, but didn't think it would be a problem yesterday. Got there and no car park open.

Ended up parking next to Mount Florida Bowling Club and despite there being loads of notices up about it being a permit zone on match-days, I never got a ticket and had a five minute walk to the ground.

Left at full time and back in Edinburgh for 6:30pm.

Libby Hibby
14-03-2016, 01:46 PM
It should never have been redeveloped. A new purpose built stadium in central Scotland (Stirlingshire?) with dedicated rail and road links should have been built to serve all of Scotland not just the GFA.

On the Stadium tour, they say that apparently funding was in place for a full new stadium but that was a pre 1987 election promise by Maggie Thatcher, after the election, the funding was stripped back to pay for what we have now...well that's what I've been told

Galahibby
14-03-2016, 01:52 PM
We got the train up from Gala. Never again! Queued for over an hour at Mount Florida, then over an hour again at Queen Street. To rub salt into the wound, got back to Gala just after 9pm and the next bus home wasn't til 10.30pm. Got home just before 11pm. 6 hours to travel 83 miles!! The Ross County fans would've been home before that! My own fault for living in this ****hole I suppose :boo hoo:

Lago
14-03-2016, 01:56 PM
I've been in Hampden with an attendance of over 140,000 for a Celtic v Leeds match. Mind boggling these days!!
I was at a Scotland / England game when Bobby Charlton scored think final result was 1 - 1. Couldn't move my arms it was such a crush. Ah the good old days:greengrin

Galahibby
14-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Oh, and the view was crap too. Watched half the game on the screens. Only saving grace was the dickhead sitting next to me going for 'a line' just before half time and missing the goal. Thankfully he forgot where he'd been sitting and we never saw him again :aok:

Holmesdale Hibs
14-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Agree with most of the posts on here. View is poor - even the dugouts are about 20m from the pitch. Sitting behind the goals is a nightmare.

It's so big that the songs echo and you can here the delay from the time it takes the sound to travel. Both castle grayskul and dark head are better stadiums

ZAGREB RED
14-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Never has been, never will be "fit for purpose"

Renfrew_Hibby
14-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Should sell Hampden and Murray field which isn't a great ground by today's standards, pool the money and get us a world class iconic stadium somewhere in the middle of central Scotland's motorway infrastructure, stifling area perhaps?

Renfrew_Hibby
14-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Should sell Hampden and Murray field which isn't a great ground by today's standards, pool the money and get us a world class iconic stadium somewhere in the middle of central Scotland's motorway infrastructure, stifling area perhaps?

Stirling!

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 02:31 PM

Always thought that was the way forward.

Murrayfield is pretty gash as well imo and gets an easy ride from football fans simply for not being Hampden. When you see stadiums like Wembley, the Emirates, the Aviva and whatever the Millenium is called now you realise Scotland doesn't have anything to compete.

We should look to build something similar to MK Dons but on a grander scale and surperior. They have big lower tiers with a smaller upper tier and they don't open the upper tier so the ground looks fuller than it is. This would allow the lower tier of the stadium to be used for games like yesterday or semi finals and so on and the whole stadium could be used when it was a final involving 2 teams with big fanbases or big international football and rugby games.

Monts
14-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Always thought that was the way forward.

Murrayfield is pretty gash as well imo and gets an easy ride from football fans simply for not being Hampden. When you see stadiums like Wembley, the Emirates, the Aviva and whatever the Millenium is called now you realise Scotland doesn't have anything to compete.

We should look to build something similar to MK Dons but on a grander scale and surperior. They have big lower tiers with a smaller upper tier and they don't open the upper tier so the ground looks fuller than it is. This would allow the lower tier of the stadium to be used for games like yesterday or semi finals and so on and the whole stadium could be used when it was a final involving 2 teams with big fanbases or big international football and rugby games.

Wembley cost something like £750m. Theres no way we could afford to do similar in Scottish football.

The renovations of Hampden cost about £60m and we still seem to be paying for it.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Wembley cost something like £750m. Theres no way we could afford to do similar in Scottish football.

The renovations of Hampden cost about £60m and we still seem to be paying for it.

We don't need anything as all singing and all dancing as Wembley, we shouldn't be as far behind as we are though.

The pooled resources of the SFA, SRU and the proceeds of the sale of Murrayfield as well as a bit government funding should see us able to build a multi purpose sports stadium that's fit for purpose.

It won't ever happen though.

Tapes99
14-03-2016, 02:50 PM
A new stadium was to be funded by the government some time ago. It never went ahead because it was to be built in the Stirling area. Jim Farry (God bless him) said no chance as football's a west coast game.

What he probably meant was nobody from Glasgow would bother going to cup finals or internationals if it was outside Glasgow.

Although Murrayfield ain't great, it is much better than Hampden which is strange considering rugby is a distant 2nd (attendance and income) to football in this country.

The first time I was in the old Hampden, I went to the loo but decided it would be better to piss in the stand than wade into 6 inches of urine. No joke. I was only 11.

DH1875
14-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I must have looked a dodgy character as they wouldn't sell me a bottle of water and insisted that they first of all poured the water into a plastic tumbler. However they had no problem in selling me a tube of Pringle crisps.

Thems the rules though!

Got a water as well, guy serving me was apologetic and actually said sorry before poring it into the cup. Don't know why they don't just do what they do at Wembley and just take the cap off to stop you from launching it.

marinello59
14-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Got a water as well, guy serving me was apologetic and actually said sorry before poring it into the cup. Don't know why they don't just do what they do at Wembley and just take the cap off to stop you from launching it.

Mrs M59 went to get a water at half time and because they had run out they offered her tap water. Which she thought was good of them until they asked for the same money they had been selling bottled water at. A few sharp words later she got her water for free. I don't argue with her either. :greengrin

Benny Brazil
14-03-2016, 05:28 PM
If you park on Carmunnock Road beside Old Cathcart Parish Church and then drive home via Carmunnock, across Cathkin Braes, A749, A725 , hookup up with M8 you will be a half mile walk from the ground and back to Edinburgh in an hour. Done it many times.

I took this route home - although I will admit not intentionally - took a wrong turning :greengrin
Left the ground at the full time whistle and was home in South Queensferry just before 6pm and that was with a good 20min walk back to the car after the game.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-03-2016, 05:38 PM
We got the train up from Gala. Never again! Queued for over an hour at Mount Florida, then over an hour again at Queen Street. To rub salt into the wound, got back to Gala just after 9pm and the next bus home wasn't til 10.30pm. Got home just before 11pm. 6 hours to travel 83 miles!! The Ross County fans would've been home before that! My own fault for living in this ****hole I suppose :boo hoo:

Never understood why people join the queue at Mount Florida, Crosshill is literally 5 mins walk further & you get straight on same train. Or Kings Park only slightly further, we states til end, then had to go against the tide to the front to retrieve the flag from the track. Stopped off for a pint, went to the chippy, then the off licence, strolled up to King's Park for the 17.49 train, no hassle at all. In to Central for 18.00, an hour in the pub and reserved seats & again no queue for the 19.00 train home.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Hampden is a hole and always has been ....... it was a dump the first time I ever went there in 1979 and the renovated stadium is proof, if it were ever needed, that you cant polish a turd.

As I've said many times, there are Banana republics out there with better national stadiums and its Scotland's disgrace that what should be our showpiece sporting venue is like something out of the 1970s.

Its clear that the government UK or Scottish will never give any real assistance towards giving us a stadium that is not only spectator friendly but one we can be proud of ... in spite of the fact that both governments have in the last three years poured hundreds of millions into building and adapting two stadiums to host athletics ... a sport that nobody gives a rats arse about for 3 years and 11 months of every 4 years and is stuffed with a load of cheats into the bargain.

If it was up to me the SFA should very publicly go cap in hand to the Chinese or Russians and ask them if some sort of deal can be struck to build a new stadium .... we could offer to call it the Chairman Mao arena or the Vladimir Putin stadium, they would probably say no, but at least we will have made our point.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 05:43 PM
Hampden is a hole and always has been ....... it was a dump the first time I ever went there in 1979 and the renovated stadium is proof, if it were ever needed, that you cant polish a turd.

As I've said many times, there are Banana republics out there with better national stadiums and its Scotland's disgrace that what should be our showpiece sporting venue is like something out of the 1970s.

Its clear that the government UK or Scottish will never give any real assistance towards giving us a stadium that is not only spectator friendly but one we can be proud of ... in spite of the fact that both governments have in the last three years poured hundreds of millions into building and adapting two stadiums to host athletics ... a sport that nobody gives a rats arse about for 3 years and 11 months of every 4 years and is stuffed with a load of cheats into the bargain.

If it was up to me the SFA should very publicly go cap in hand to the Chinese or Russians and ask them if some sort of deal can be struck to build a new stadium .... we could offer to call it the Chairman Mao arena or the Vladimir Putin stadium, they would probably say no, but at least we will have made our point.

Qatar will have a few stadiums doing nothing in the not too distant future.

Maybe that friendly wasn't so daft after all....

Sergey
14-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Qatar will have a few stadiums doing nothing in the not too distant future.

Maybe that friendly wasn't so daft after all....

We wouldn't be requiring the air-con units, though!

ginger_rice
14-03-2016, 05:48 PM
I wish I'd had chance to experience the old Hampden.

Just be thankful you didn't it was possibly one of the worst stadia I've ever been in

Moulin Yarns
14-03-2016, 05:49 PM

Being there in1972 I can confirm it was a lot worse back then. Ash terraces!!!!

Lancs Harp
14-03-2016, 05:57 PM
To be fair its not bad for a league two clubs ground.

Billy Whizz
14-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Think the SFA and Queen's Park renewal on Hampden is 2020

Eyrie
14-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I've said before that the only reason we have a national football stadium is to give the Ugly Sisters a neutral venue when they have a hate-fest in a cup semi or final.

There is absolutely no need to waste money on a stadium that is barely used when the money could be put into grass roots or improving stadia that are regularly used. International games can be rotated round the country (as was done when Hampden was redeveloped) to let fans in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen see the national side. Cup semis can be played at neutral grounds (even the PBS) and cup finals at wherever is appropriate eg Murrayfield for Hibs and the Yams, the other half of the Ugly Sisters if one side is involved (and toss a coin if it's both).

And the state of the modern Hampden with the shallow stands miles from the pitch (and worse behind the goals) is ridiculous for the money spent on it.

Galahibby
14-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Never understood why people join the queue at Mount Florida, Crosshill is literally 5 mins walk further & you get straight on same train. Or Kings Park only slightly further, we states til end, then had to go against the tide to the front to retrieve the flag from the track. Stopped off for a pint, went to the chippy, then the off licence, strolled up to King's Park for the 17.49 train, no hassle at all. In to Central for 18.00, an hour in the pub and reserved seats & again no queue for the 19.00 train home.

Cheers, did not know that. the way my luck was going I would've walked to the next station and the train wouldn't have stopped there :wink: Have been given the heads up for a bus for the next time. All I have to do now is move back to Edinburgh and I wouldn't have to deal with any of this **** :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
14-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Hampden for me is the worst stadium I have ever, ever been in. It's gradient is inadequate as row after row of supporters are practically looking through the action and not down on it. The distance from the pitch makes for a terrible atmosphere during the game. I really, really hate the place. Our record there in cup finals just makes it all the more depressing. And don't start me on it's out of the way location and grim surrounding streets and area. I'd happily push the dynamite plunger the day it is demolished for all-time. :fuming:

chasitup
14-03-2016, 10:35 PM
It is the absolute worst viewing stadium I've ever been to. Then throw in the parking ticket that I'm sure plenty others had, then that journey home arriving back in Edinburgh at 7:45.

Lancs Harp
14-03-2016, 11:46 PM
It is the absolute worst viewing stadium I've ever been to. Then throw in the parking ticket that I'm sure plenty others had, then that journey home arriving back in Edinburgh at 7:45.

7,45? wow, I was dropping my brother off in Blackpool at 9.

IWasThere2016
15-03-2016, 12:05 AM
It is a hole. I loathe the place.

Poor transport links, poor views for the majority, poor facilities.

Really detest going there, and that's before I get going on the pizz poor Scotrail arrangements.

Itsnoteasy
15-03-2016, 12:40 AM

How many loyalty points did you need for that game.

cabbageandribs1875
15-03-2016, 01:37 AM
the SFA lease of hampden is up after the SC final in 2020, build a damn stadium near stirling, the SFA(well the GFA rather) and the SRU could indulge in a joint venture with government/lottery grants surely, although both Authorities would probably be loathed in leaving their present sites :rolleyes: instead of thinking outside the box

HH81
15-03-2016, 07:19 AM
I reckon Hampden would be more liked if we won more games there.

I bet I have been in 150 grounds around the world and Hampden is not that bad. Sat in 3 of the 4 stands too. It is fine.

Spike Mandela
15-03-2016, 07:37 AM

I bet I have been in 150 grounds around the world and Hampden is not that bad. Sat in 3 of the 4 stands too. It is fine.

Fine, fine....you're probably right, but fine is as far as I would go. It's a redevelopment job done on the cheap.

The Millenium stadium, the Aviva stadium and of course Wembley all show the ambition we could have had but we played it safe. Hey, at least it's better than Windsor park.

HH81
15-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Fine, fine....you're probably right, but fine is as far as I would go. It's a redevelopment job done on the cheap.

The Millenium stadium, the Aviva stadium and of course Wembley all show the ambition we could have had but we played it safe. Hey, at least it's better than Windsor park.

Millenium stadium is very good liked it a lot. I would have to say Arsenal or Wembley are up there with best I have been in.

Waxy
15-03-2016, 08:03 AM
All future derby semis or finals should be at Murrayfield. Poor decisions to make 50000 Travel through last twice. Hampdens had it.

Stokesy's on fire
15-03-2016, 08:11 AM
The Fanzone was so poor. It looked like something from a junkies back garden

Yorkshire HFC
15-03-2016, 08:45 AM
We had an easy trip - stopped for a nice lunch in an Italian restaurant and got the train 2 stops to Kings Park - arrived there at 2.25 - were in our seat by 2.40 - and had a good view of the game. The concourses and toilets were jam packed at half time, which was a bit of a bind, but no real issue.

Same journey home - left at full time and I was back in D'mains by just before 6, I think.

I don't see the problem with the stadium - we've got a national stadium and it's going nowhere - I much prefer it to Murrayfield as well - why on earth does it have a running track along the front of one stand? It's also far too big for any games that Hibs would play there. Hampden is a good size.

jgl07
15-03-2016, 10:58 AM
It's a crap stadium. I honestly struggle to think of 1 redeeming feature it has. The view from top tier of the South maybe?

Stands behind the goals miles from the pitch, shallow gradient to the other stands offering shan views, tightly packed walkways, turnstiles that are like a relic from the 70s and unable to cope with numbers (we joined our queue 25 minutes before kick off time and got in just as the teams were coming out), terrible to non existent parking facilities and quite literally not one decent access or exit route.

It's a dump.
Correct.

The geometry of the stadium is all wrong. The rake is too shallow and everyone is too far from the pitch.

It was developed piecemeal initially by Jim Farry when they should have bulldozed the whole thing and started from scratch, preferably in another location. Once they had redeveloped part of it they were locked in to continuing. The only decent views in my opinion are from the South Stand Upper tier and that was left half empty.

It is a nightmare to get to.

MB62
15-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Does anybody know how you go about starting one of these on line petitions that you require x amount of signatures to get the topic discussed in parliament?
I really don't see why we should have to put up with this and although I realise it's predominantly a GFA issue, we should be asking Scottish/UK government to get involved with some sort of subsidy.

JeMeSouviens
15-03-2016, 11:16 AM
The only comparable stadium I've been to that's as bad is the Heysel in Brussels (which has a new name presumably trying to escape the connotations :-( ). It is a similarly crap re-development of an old bowl with running track. Think it would have been late 90s and it had no roof at the ends then, although I think it does now. And Scotland were pish and got beat 2-0. :rolleyes:

BH Hibs
15-03-2016, 11:51 AM
I seem to remember there was a proposal to build a new stadium on the old BL site at Bathgate can't remember why this fell through whether it was funding or an insistence on the stadium being in Glasgow. Missed opportunity though.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2016, 12:05 PM
The only comparable stadium I've been to that's as bad is the Heysel in Brussels (which has a new name presumably trying to escape the connotations :-( ). It is a similarly crap re-development of an old bowl with running track. Think it would have been late 90s and it had no roof at the ends then, although I think it does now. And Scotland were pish and got beat 2-0. :rolleyes:

The King Baudoin Stadium. And you're right, it's crap as well.

Andy74
15-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Brutal. Burnt to a crisp and couldn't get it off the foil.

JeMeSouviens
15-03-2016, 12:24 PM
The King Baudoin Stadium. And you're right, it's crap as well.

That's the one.

hibsdaft
15-03-2016, 07:54 PM
bulldoze both ends, and build two free-standing (preferably safe standing come to think of it) 'Holte End'/'Dortmund' style stands behind the goals. would result in better views of the pitch, better atmosphere, and it would also save space around the ground.

the land around the ground, e.g. the bit between the ground and asda could be made much better use of. reconfigure it for bus parking. same with the car parking which seems to occupy the land south of the South Stand. give it over to buses.

don't agree with moving from Hampden mysels though. like it or now, Glasgow city region is the traditional home of Scottish football and holds close to half the population. its infrastructure (e.g. multiple rail lines/ motorway routes out of the city to disperse people, not to mention pubs and eating places) is better suited to a major stadium than most other places. e.g. Stirling - that would be a traffic disaster.

Phil MaGlass
15-03-2016, 08:10 PM
I think Mrrayfield is also due a revamp at a large cost, mibbe time for the sfa and sru to talk. Save millions in both sports which could then b pumped into grassroots. Hampden and surrounding areas for sccess and parking is a hole and has had its day. For the sake of our game we need a fit for purpose stadiumn

Eyrie
15-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Does anybody know how you go about starting one of these on line petitions that you require x amount of signatures to get the topic discussed in parliament?
I really don't see why we should have to put up with this and although I realise it's predominantly a GFA issue, we should be asking Scottish/UK government to get involved with some sort of subsidy.

Governments at all levels have enough problems funding real needs like health and education without subsidising a national football stadium that we don't need. We already have Easter Road, Ibrox and Parkhead with a new Aberdeen ground to come.

eastterrace
15-03-2016, 09:37 PM
We had an easy trip - stopped for a nice lunch in an Italian restaurant and got the train 2 stops to Kings Park - arrived there at 2.25 - were in our seat by 2.40 - and had a good view of the game. The concourses and toilets were jam packed at half time, which was a bit of a bind, but no real issue. Same journey home - left at full time and I was back in D'mains by just before 6, I think. I don't see the problem with the stadium - we've got a national stadium and it's going nowhere - I much prefer it to Murrayfield as well - why on earth does it have a running track along the front of one stand? It's also far too big for any games that Hibs would play there. Hampden is a good size. you got back from Glasgow in one hour and 15 mins jeez must be a world record . We were barely past asda at that time. The place is a complete dump

Nakedmanoncrack
15-03-2016, 09:39 PM

:agree:

Agreed, and I've been to a lot of stadia around Europe.
Of course it's not a great stadium - it had to be re-developed on the cheap, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.
As for the transport links etc, and time to egress the area, it's miles better than a lot of major stadiums e.g. try getting away from Wembley after a match.

eastterrace
15-03-2016, 09:50 PM
:agree: Agreed, and I've been to a lot of stadia around Europe. Of course it's not a great stadium - it had to be re-developed on the cheap, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out. As for the transport links etc, and time to egress the area, it's miles better than a lot of major stadiums e.g. try getting away from Wembley after a match. Wembley a proper stadium not like that dump .okay not easy to get away from but hey 3 hours to get home from Glasgow to Edinburgh a complete joke

baggio70
16-03-2016, 12:14 AM

Away end at the aviva has to be the worst section of a football stadium I've ever been in

Bristolhibby
16-03-2016, 07:53 AM
:agree:

Agreed, and I've been to a lot of stadia around Europe.
Of course it's not a great stadium - it had to be re-developed on the cheap, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.
As for the transport links etc, and time to egress the area, it's miles better than a lot of major stadiums e.g. try getting away from Wembley after a match.

I used to think that, went with my brother in law (a Londoner) and find it incredibly convenient to get to/from.

The trouble was I was following the heards out of Wembley down Wembley way to get to Wembley Park. What he showed me was to go overground from Wembley Stadium change at Marylebone and in to Paddington. Took me 40 minutes to get back to Paddington then onto my train back to Chippenham. I now love Wembley.

J

Allant1981
16-03-2016, 08:01 AM
I didnt think it was that bad on sunday, a 10 minute walk to the bus which for some might be to far ill admit, was parked about 2 minutes from the motorway so got on with no issues, seats in the north stand were fine. Cant say we had any issues.

MB62
16-03-2016, 08:24 AM
I didnt think it was that bad on sunday, a 10 minute walk to the bus which for some might be to far ill admit, was parked about 2 minutes from the motorway so got on with no issues, seats in the north stand were fine. Cant say we had any issues.

You must walk at some pace :greengrin

Allant1981
16-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Ok it was maybe 15 minutes at a push but all in all i didnt think it was that bad, would have been better getting oarked at the stadium but that doesnt happen at many stadiums and yip we were pretty much on the motorway, we were parked up almost straight off the slip road

Nakedmanoncrack
16-03-2016, 09:55 AM
I used to think that, went with my brother in law (a Londoner) and find it incredibly convenient to get to/from.

The trouble was I was following the heards out of Wembley down Wembley way to get to Wembley Park. What he showed me was to go overground from Wembley Stadium change at Marylebone and in to Paddington. Took me 40 minutes to get back to Paddington then onto my train back to Chippenham. I now love Wembley.

J

Fair point, a bit of local knowledge can make a huge difference - same is true at Hampden.

Super_JMcGinn
16-03-2016, 10:00 AM

As a national stadium it really is a disgrace, filthy and as you say not fit for purpose. Can anyone explain why Wales got funding from the lottery for their stadium and we have this old relic?

Turkish Green
16-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Being a posh barsteward I usually go to the corporate facilities but these are also pretty poor compared to other national stadiums. I just do not like Hampden as a location. You cannot take public transport without involving many changes and supporters buses have to park a 30 min walk away. And as for taking your car, forget it.

Wales has a National Stadium in Cardiff that is used by both codes, however, the SFA will never consider using Murrayfield because it is in Edinburgh and owned by the SRU. If Network Rail built a station on the main Glasgow-Edinburgh line adjacent to the tram stop (only used on match days) then supporters could come from the central belt without needing to enter the city centre. It will never happen, though.

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2016, 10:07 AM
As a national stadium it really is a disgrace, filthy and as you say not fit for purpose. Can anyone explain why Wales got funding from the lottery for their stadium and we have this old relic?

...probably because the Welsh FA applied for it, and put up a case.

Turkish Green
16-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Football Specials

Do people remember when British Rail ran football specials to Hampden. Haymarket direct to Mount Florida station. When did they stop? Was it following privatisation of the railways in the late 90s?

I remember after one Scotland international (in the late 70s) getting on the 'Edinburgh' train a bit bevvied, finding a seat and immediately falling asleep. Woke up as the train was leaving Perth on its way to Inverness. That was a long night, that was.

NYHibby
16-03-2016, 10:55 AM

...probably because the Welsh FA applied for it, and put up a case.

We got funding from the lottery as well. Hence why there is a logo in the stadium.

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2016, 10:56 AM
We got funding from the lottery as well. Hence why there is a logo in the stadium.

Cheers :aok:

Super_JMcGinn
16-03-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing they got quite a bit more than we did comparing the two. :confused:

Tom Hart RIP
16-03-2016, 11:53 AM
For many years only the west or Rangers end as it was known was covered. The East or Celtic end was open as was the North. The South had an old wooden stand. When Rangers scored no one could see due to the dust. When we played Celtic there was no proper segregation and we used to congregate in the west alongside thousands of them. Bad fighting every time with bottles flying. If we were leading Nd playing well they invaded the pitch which happened regularly to disrupt the flow.

Tapes99
16-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I seem to remember there was a proposal to build a new stadium on the old BL site at Bathgate can't remember why this fell through whether it was funding or an insistence on the stadium being in Glasgow. Missed opportunity though.
It was option 2 because "Football's a west coast game".

They could hardly justify a stadium outside Glasgow with a "rangers" and a "celtic" end.

Oops, I meant The the Rangers sevco and septic end.

Now there's an idea