PDA

View Full Version : Hibs' overall record in cup finals

G B Young
14-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Had a look at wikipedia this morning as I mused on just how often Hibs seem to fall at the final hurdle. If the stats are correct, our record in cup finals is as follows:

Major cup finals:
Scottish Cup: 13 finals, two wins.
League Cup: Ten finals, three wins.

Minor cup finals:
Summer Cup: Four finals, two wins
Drybrough Cup: Two finals, two wins

I'm not old enough to remember the summer cup, but I do remember the Drybrough Cup being quite a big deal at the time, and both our final wins came against Celtic at Hampden in front of 50,000 crowds. However, our record in major cup finals is shockingly poor. Five wins in 23 attempts! Obviously the team line-up changes for every final, but does that statistic indicate some deep-rooted mental issue within the club throughout its history when it comes to the big occasion? Or is it simply that the teams which lost the 18 cup finals simply haven't been good enough on the day? The minor cup finals may not be of such consequence but it's interesting that we have a good record in them, perhaps due to the fact there isn't so much pressure to deal with?

Shore Thing
14-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Bring back the Dryborough Cup!

100% Win ratio :greengrin

j'adore hibs
14-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Had a look at wikipedia this morning as I mused on just how often Hibs seem to fall at the final hurdle. If the stats are correct, our record in cup finals is as follows:

Major cup finals:

Minor cup finals:

I'm not old enough to remember the summer cup, but I do remember the Drybrough Cup being quite a big deal at the time, and both our final wins came against Celtic at Hampden in front of 50,000 crowds. However, our record in major cup finals is shockingly poor. Five wins in 23 attempts! Obviously the team line-up changes for every final, but does that statistic indicate some deep-rooted mental issue within the club throughout its history when it comes to the big occasion? Or is it simply that the teams which lost the 18 cup finals simply haven't been good enough on the day? The minor cup finals may not be of such consequence but it's interesting that we have a good record in them, perhaps due to the fact there isn't so much pressure to deal with?

club with record losses in all cup finals is celtic. i wouldnt say they have a deep rooted issue, were just beaten on the day predominately by rangers as we have been by others

im 9 finals and 2 wins, my lad is 3 finals 3 losses, feel sorry for him

season tickets bought today though

rcarter1
14-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Major cup finals:

Minor cup finals:

Cup Finals aren't easy to win, usually because the opposition are pretty decent. Including the 1979 Final and up to yesterday we have lost once to a team finishing lower than us in the league (Livi 2004, we finished 1 point ahead in the league). We have won once against a team finishing higher than us (Killie 2007, we finished 6 points behind). In all other finals we were beaten by 'Favourites' who finished well above us in the league, and of course we beat a Dunfermline side that got relegated. Yesterday is a bit different, but Ross County are fourth in the premiership and were by no means considered underdogs.

Our record (1979 onwards) seems pretty much as expected based on league placements.

G B Young
14-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Cup Finals aren't easy to win, usually because the opposition are pretty decent. Including the 1979 Final and up to yesterday we have lost once to a team finishing lower than us in the league (Livi 2004, we finished 1 point ahead in the league). We have won once against a team finishing higher than us (Killie 2007, we finished 6 points behind). In all other finals we were beaten by 'Favourites' who finished well above us in the league, and of course we beat a Dunfermline side that got relegated. Yesterday is a bit different, but Ross County are fourth in the premiership and were by no means considered underdogs.

Our record (1979 onwards) seems pretty much as expected based on league placements.

When we beat Celtic in the 72 League Cup final they finished above us. Think we were second that season though so I guess we wouldn't have been major underdogs.

GreenArmyyy!
14-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Christ that is grim

Hi Heid Yin
14-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Major cup finals:

Minor cup finals:

That is truly sobering reading. This said, I'd like to know how many finals were against the old firm, who are invariably always favourites and above us in the league.
How many times did Hearts actually beat the old firm in cup finals? Statistics are always open to interpretation and debate.

G B Young
14-03-2016, 03:15 PM
That is truly sobering reading. This said, I'd like to know how many finals were against the old firm, who are invariably always favourites and above us in the league.
How many times did Hearts actually beat the old firm in cup finals? Statistics are always open to interpretation and debate.

Off the top of my head we've lost twice to Rangers in cup finals and perhaps five or six times to Celtic. We've also beaten Celtic twice in cup finals. Of the other teams we've lost to we've had two Scottish Cup final defeats to Hearts, plus assorted cup final losses to a host of others including Aberdeen, Airdrie, Motherwell, Clyde, Livingston and now Ross County.

Not sure about Hearts, they've definitely beaten both Rangers and Celtic in the cup finals, but whether more than once I'd have to check.

cabbageandribs1875
14-03-2016, 03:22 PM
at least we will still get a mention in the history books with yesterdays result, in years to come anyone looking up the history books to see when Ross co won their first cup they will see the benevolent team was indeed hibs, HFC being benevolent since the year dot :(

cozy sausage
14-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Major cup finals:

Minor cup finals:

My “Hibs life” started in September 1979. Since then there have been 73 cup finals (Scottish Cup and League Cup).
For final appearances we are 5th (even ahead of “The Shameless”)
For cup wins we are 6th.
Our “win percentage” however at 22% (2 out of 9) has been hard to take, and I’ve taken them all, although arguably supporting Dundee Utd or Dunfermline through this time would have been even worse.

A Scottish Cup win would heal the hurt.

team

apps
W
L
win %

rangers

75%

celtic

62%

aberdeen

53%

dundee u

25%

hibs

22%

Hearts

43%

kilmarnock

50%

dunfermline

0%

dundee

0%

motherwell

33%

falkirk

0%

ICT

50%

ross county

50%

st johnstone

50%

st mirren

100%

airdrie

0%

ayr united

0%

livingston

100%

raith

100%

gretna

0%

QOtS

0%

total

emerald green
14-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Hibs record in major cup finals - League Cup and Scottish Cup is terrible. There is no other way to describe it.

Typically, Hibs beat every top division side they've played in this years League Cup competition, then wait until the final to chuck it away against probably the worst team they've played (Ross County IMO are not much better than Dundee United).

Even going back in history, Hibs lost their very first League Cup Final to Motherwell by 3-0, having gone into the match as red hot favourites and fielding seven full internationals in their team, Famous Five included. Hibs went on the win the title that same year by 10 clear points (only 2 points for a win in those days). Go figure.

KWJ
14-03-2016, 04:40 PM
I'd imagine that if you did a points league for cup games since, say, 2000 that we'd be clear 3rd place behind the Rantic and maybe even closing in on Rangers.

We just struggle so badly at that final hurdle.

Liam McLeod mentioned during the game that we have generally been very good in the cup competitions.

Hampden just not a fun place to go. Ayr Utd, Livingston, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Cheats and Celtic have made it tough going. Don't think Rangers have beaten us there since 93/94 though, shame they're deid.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 04:42 PM
I'd imagine that if you did a points league for cup games since, say, 2000 that we'd be clear 3rd place behind the Rantic and maybe even closing in on Rangers.

We just struggle so badly at that final hurdle.

Liam McLeod mentioned during the game that we have generally been very good in the cup competitions.

Hampden just not a fun place to go. Ayr Utd, Livingston, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Cheats and Celtic have made it tough going. Don't think Rangers have beaten us there since 93/94 though, shame they're deid.

The bit in bold is correct, but only until Hibs reach the finals unfortunately.

rcarter1
14-03-2016, 04:46 PM
My “Hibs life” started in September 1979. Since then there have been 73 cup finals (Scottish Cup and League Cup).
For cup wins we are 6th.
Our “win percentage” however at 22% (2 out of 9) has been hard to take, and I’ve taken them all, although arguably supporting Dundee Utd or Dunfermline through this time would have been even worse.

team

apps
W
L
win %

rangers

75%

celtic

62%

aberdeen

53%

dundee u

25%

hibs

22%

Hearts

43%

kilmarnock

50%

dunfermline

0%

dundee

0%

motherwell

33%

falkirk

0%

ICT

50%

ross county

50%

st johnstone

50%

st mirren

100%

airdrie

0%

ayr united

0%

livingston

100%

raith

100%

gretna

0%

QOtS

0%

total

These stats are combined Cup Finals from 1979. How have Dundee United won 4 trophies in that time?

DaveF
14-03-2016, 04:50 PM
These stats are combined Cup Finals from 1979. How have Dundee United won 4 trophies in that time?

They won the LC in 1980 and 1981 and then the SC twice later on.

Jumbo
14-03-2016, 04:52 PM

They've won 2 of each since then !

rcarter1
14-03-2016, 04:55 PM
They won the LC in 1980 and 1981 and then the SC twice later on.

Wow, forgot they had that great early 80s side. They have racked up tons of Finals as well.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 04:59 PM

DU have lost so many finals it's almost as bad as Hibs. They lost 10 cup finals between 1974 and 1991.

They beat Aberdeen in the 1979/80 League Cup final after a replay, and retained it the following season against Dundee.

They beat Rangers in 1993/4 Scottish Cup Final (their first win) and won it again in 2010 when they beat, guess who? Ross County...

Pete
14-03-2016, 05:03 PM
For cup wins we are 6th.

team

apps
W
L
win %

rangers

75%

celtic

62%

aberdeen

53%

dundee u

25%

hibs

22%

Hearts

43%

kilmarnock

50%

dunfermline

0%

dundee

0%

motherwell

33%

falkirk

0%

ICT

50%

ross county

50%

st johnstone

50%

st mirren

100%

airdrie

0%

ayr united

0%

livingston

100%

raith

100%

gretna

0%

QOtS

0%

total

Have St Mirren not been in 3?

basehibby
14-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Hibs record in major cup finals - League Cup and Scottish Cup is terrible. There is no other way to describe it.

Typically, Hibs beat every top division side they've played in this years League Cup competition, then wait until the final to chuck it away against probably the worst team they've played (Ross County IMO are not much better than Dundee United).

Even going back in history, Hibs lost their very first League Cup Final to Motherwell by 3-0, having gone into the match as red hot favourites and fielding seven full internationals in their team, Famous Five included. Hibs went on the win the title that same year by 10 clear points (only 2 points for a win in those days). Go figure.

The stats don't back up what you are saying. Ross County may come from a tiny wee town but they are having the most successfull season in their history in the league I think (?). They are miles ahead of Dundee Utd (over 50% more points and goals and over twice as many wins !) and demonstrably a better side so your opinion is not counting for very much really (and certainly won't save Dundee Utd from relegation). As far as the games Hibs have played, I think they looked a hell of a lot better than the hoofball merchants from Gorgie as well.

I know you're hurting as is every Hibby, but no need to paint it as some malignant mental issue that is not there - leave that to Keith Jackson and ******s of his ilk who need no encouragement.

cozy sausage
14-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Have St Mirren not been in 3?

They have 3 Scottish Cup wins in total, but only 1 in these stats (1987) plus 1 League Cup win (2013).

cozy sausage
14-03-2016, 05:25 PM
They have 3 Scottish Cup wins in total, but only 1 in these stats (1987) plus 1 League Cup win (2013).

sorry read your post wrong. My mistake. They have been in 3. Defeat to rangers in LC in 2010. must have mixed their record up with someone else in cut and paste.

Joe Baker2
14-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Ouch - hard to read those stats. I think I've buried some of those score in the old subconcious.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 06:40 PM
The stats don't back up what you are saying. Ross County may come from a tiny wee town but they are having the most successfull season in their history in the league I think (?). They are miles ahead of Dundee Utd (over 50% more points and goals and over twice as many wins !) and demonstrably a better side so your opinion is not counting for very much really (and certainly won't save Dundee Utd from relegation). As far as the games Hibs have played, I think they looked a hell of a lot better than the hoofball merchants from Gorgie as well.

I know you're hurting as is every Hibby, but no need to paint it as some malignant mental issue that is not there - leave that to Keith Jackson and ******s of his ilk who need no encouragement.

Edit: Did DU not beat RC 2-3 recently? I might be wrong?

RC are not much better than DU, at the moment, despite their respective league positions IMHO. We'll need to agree to disagree on that I think.

I agree Hibs looked a better football team than Hearts, but Hibs didn't play Hearts in the League Cup run to the final. So I'm not sure what your point is there. My point was Hibs beat better teams than RC on the way to the LC final - Aberdeen, St Johnstone & DU (we disagree there) but lose to RC in the final.

It was not my intention to paint Hibs latest cup final defeat as some sort of "malignant mental issue". Your words, not mine. Although I note you made no comment about the point I made about Hibs inexplicable loss to Motherwell in the LC final all those years ago. A Hibs team full of internationals and the Famous Five. A team widely regarded as one of the best this country has ever seen.

Tom Hart RIP
14-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Some of the best players we have ever had played in. Series of cup finals in 60/70s where we lost 6-2 6-1 and 6-3. The joke at the time was that we had played Celtic at tennis.
We also won 5-3, 2-1 and 1-0. Ok two of the wins were in the drybrough Cup but make no mistake Celtic and Stein wanted to win these games.
As for Motherwell game John Ogilvie was taken off with broken leg and I think someone else picked up an injury which explains that. No subs in those days.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Some of the best players we have ever had played in. Series of cup finals in 60/70s where we lost 6-2 6-1 and 6-3. The joke at the time was that we had played Celtic at tennis.
We also won 5-3, 2-1 and 1-0. Ok two of the wins were in the drybrough Cup but make no mistake Celtic and Stein wanted to win these games.
As for Motherwell game John Ogilvie was taken off with broken leg and I think someone else picked up an injury which explains that. No subs in those days.

I don't know at what point of that final Ogilvie was taken off with a broken leg, but according to what I've read Hibs controlled most of the match but without really threatening the Motherwell goal. Sound familiar?

I also remember my dad, who was at the match, telling me the Hibs goalkeeper Tommy Younger (Scottish internationalist) was badly at fault for at least one of the Motherwell goals and was literally in tears at the end of the game.

Hampden has seldom ever been kind to Hibs.

judas
14-03-2016, 08:16 PM
club with record losses in all cup finals is celtic. i wouldnt say they have a deep rooted issue, were just beaten on the day predominately by rangers as we have been by others

im 9 finals and 2 wins, my lad is 3 finals 3 losses, feel sorry for him

season tickets bought today though

Bang on mate. Bring on the next final.

Bristolhibby
14-03-2016, 08:24 PM
at least we will still get a mention in the history books with yesterdays result, in years to come anyone looking up the history books to see when Ross co won their first cup they will see the benevolent team was indeed hibs, HFC being benevolent since the year dot :(

And Livingston. We are such nice guys in that respect.

J

Waxy
14-03-2016, 08:39 PM

Major cup finals:

Minor cup finals:

We've actually been in more cup finals than shearts by one.They have 14 Scottish and 8 League cup finals.

Speedy
14-03-2016, 08:43 PM

We were favourites with the bookies yesterday. I would've had it 50/50.

G B Young
14-03-2016, 09:26 PM
I don't know at what point of that final Ogilvie was taken off with a broken leg, but according to what I've read Hibs controlled most of the match but without really threatening the Motherwell goal. Sound familiar?

I also remember my dad, who was at the match, telling me the Hibs goalkeeper Tommy Younger (Scottish internationalist) was badly at fault for at least one of the Motherwell goals and was literally in tears at the end of the game.

I remember reading about Tommy Younger's tears that day. Little wonder, given that Hibs had beaten Motherwell 6-2 in the league just a wee while before that. I also recall reading that one of the Famous Five, Turnbull I think, was injured and Willie Ormond moved in from the wing to replace him, meaning a young reserve took up the wing berth. Shouldn't have been a major problem given the calibre of that side I guess but it's interesting that even that team found it beyond them to win a major cup final.

ekhibee
14-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Until a couple of seasons ago it could have been argued that St Johnstone had the worst cup record, cos ICT and RC haven't really been around the Scottish Leagues that long. But now, we must surely have the worst Scottish Cup record by some way. Of course if we win it this season, which obviously I hope they do, that'll clear things up a bit! If we don't, well, it'll be 114 excuses for how we managed to **** it up instead of 113, big deal.

Tom Hart RIP
14-03-2016, 09:36 PM

My mistake. It was the Scottish cup semi final that john ogilvie broke his leg not the league cup final

monktonharp
15-03-2016, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=

Hampden has seldom ever been kind to Hibs.[/QUOTE]I'd say Hampden is more like a Slalom ride, for us. look great at the start and make good speed and progress with the finishing line not far away but instead of just clipping the last pole, we clatter intae a tree!

Septimus
15-03-2016, 04:01 PM
No mention here of the Coronation Cup. That was my first agony. I think we lost to Aberdeen in about 1947 but I was not at that one.

monktonharp
15-03-2016, 04:12 PM
have Dunfermline not won the Scottish ? they beat celtic 3-1 or was it the gorgie mob? Still a fotie on the wall in the auld east port bar, if I remember

monktonharp
15-03-2016, 04:13 PM
No mention here of the Coronation Cup. That was my first agony. I think we lost to Aberdeen in about 1947 but I was not at that one.who got coronated that year? auld pishy drawers was in 53, ?

Septimus
15-03-2016, 05:09 PM
who got coronated that year? auld pishy drawers was in 53, ?

It was 1953. I think we lost to Clyde round about then too. The point is that we were expected to win these games too.

emerald green
15-03-2016, 06:17 PM
I remember reading about Tommy Younger's tears that day. Little wonder, given that Hibs had beaten Motherwell 6-2 in the league just a wee while before that. I also recall reading that one of the Famous Five, Turnbull I think, was injured and Willie Ormond moved in from the wing to replace him, meaning a young reserve took up the wing berth. Shouldn't have been a major problem given the calibre of that side I guess but it's interesting that even that team found it beyond them to win a major cup final.

Correct GBY. Especially the bit in bold. It's this that Hibs fans of my dad's era found totally baffling. Hibs in those days were an outstanding team. Miles better than the likes of Motherwell, as the scoreline shortly prior to that final indicates.

My mistake. It was the Scottish cup semi final that john ogilvie broke his leg not the league cup final

No probs. :aok:

I'd say Hampden is more like a Slalom ride, for us. look great at the start and make good speed and progress with the finishing line not far away but instead of just clipping the last pole, we clatter intae a tree!

That's a pretty good analogy.

It was 1953. I think we lost to Clyde round about then too. The point is that we were expected to win these games too.

In the Coronation Cup in 1953 Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic & Rangers represented Scotland. Manchester United, Arsenal, Newcastle United & Spurs represented England.

Hibs reached the final after beating Spurs 2-1 and Newcastle 4-0. Celtic won against Arsenal & Man Utd.

In the final, watched by a crowd of 117,000, Hibs pummeled Celtic yet lost 2-0.

Hibs, as favourites, lost in the Scottish Cup final by 1-0 to Clyde in 1958. A huge injustice was done as Hibs play maker, Andy Aitken, was kicked off the park by a particular Clyde player. Aitken "played" on hirpling around as a mere passenger. No substitutes in those days.

Kavinho
15-03-2016, 06:38 PM
You've got to be in it to win it..

We get there more often than the vast majority. Long may that continue, and we'll see the win count increase.

I'd rather we were getting to Hampden and take it from there rather than being confined to ripping the p!sh out of us whilst watching on the telly..

green day
15-03-2016, 06:43 PM
You've got to be in it to win it..

We get there more often than the vast majority. Long may that continue, and we'll see the win count increase.

I'd rather we were getting to Hampden and take it from there rather than being confined to ripping the p!sh out of us whilst watching on the telly..

Correct.

It's called balls.

Bottling it is what should be laid against those top flight clubs we pumped out, not against us for losing a final in the last minute.

As Che said, Hasta la Victoria siempre!

Tom Hart RIP
16-03-2016, 03:49 PM
have Dunfermline not won the Scottish ? they beat celtic 3-1 or was it the gorgie mob? Still a fotie on the wall in the auld east port bar, if I remember

Dunfermline beat Hearts in 1968 3-1. Alex Edwards played in that game. Think they also won it under Jock Stein as well

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Dunfermline beat Hearts in 1968 3-1. Alex Edwards played in that game. Think they also won it under Jock Stein as well

1961 :agree:

Waxy
16-03-2016, 03:55 PM
We cannot lose our next Scottish cup final. We cant lose tonight. We cant lose the semi. Just give us the cup now.

007 Mickey Weir
17-03-2016, 02:38 PM
What is our recent record in semi finals. I'm sure I heard on radio that it was something like 9 out of last 10 years we have made it to at least the semi final. Can that be right??

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2016, 02:47 PM
What is our recent record in semi finals. I'm sure I heard on radio that it was something like 9 out of last 10 years we have made it to at least the semi final. Can that be right??

I heard it slightly differently. Think they said that we have won 10 out of "our" last 11 quarter-finals. We've definitely not been at 9 semis in the last 10 years.

G B Young
17-03-2016, 02:48 PM
What is our recent record in semi finals. I'm sure I heard on radio that it was something like 9 out of last 10 years we have made it to at least the semi final. Can that be right??I posted this earlier:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?308831-Hibs-21st-Century-cup-record

We've not made it to semi-finals in 9 of the last 10 years, but in the Scottish Cup we've reached the following semi-finals since the year 2000:

2000: Aberdeen (lost 2-1)
2001: Livingston (won 3-0)
2005: Dundee United (lost 2-1)
2006: Hearts (lost 4-0)
2007: Dunfermline (lost 1-0)
2012: Aberdeen (won 2-1)
2013: Falkirk (won 4-3)
2015: Falkirk (lost 1-0)
2016: Dundee Utd (???)

Of the above, we should really have won the games in 2000 and 2005 after taking the lead, while against Dunfermline in 2007 we had just won the League Cup and had a great chance to get to another final but the player 'revolt' against Collins scuppered the rest of our season. Against Falkirk last season we should also have won.

In the League Cup our semi-final record is:

2002: Ayr United (lost 1-0)
2004: Rangers (won on pens after1-1 draw)
2007: St Johnstone (won 3-1 after extra time)
2016: St Johnstone (won 2-1)

The Ayr United game was one of the worst Hibs displays I've ever seen at Hampden! Or indeed anywhere!

Dashing Bob S
17-03-2016, 03:03 PM
I posted this earlier:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?308831-Hibs-21st-Century-cup-record

We've not made it to semi-finals in 9 of the last 10 years, but in the Scottish Cup we've reached the following semi-finals since the year 2000:

2000: Aberdeen (lost 2-1)
2001: Livingston (won 3-0)
2005: Dundee United (lost 2-1)
2006: Hearts (lost 4-0)
2007: Dunfermline (lost 1-0)
2012: Aberdeen (won 2-1)
2013: Falkirk (won 4-3)
2015: Falkirk (lost 1-0)
2016: Dundee Utd (???)

Of the above, we should really have won the games in 2000 and 2005 after taking the lead, while against Dunfermline in 2007 we had just won the League Cup and had a great chance to get to another final but the player 'revolt' against Collins scuppered the rest of our season. Against Falkirk last season we should also have won.

In the League Cup our semi-final record is:

2002: Ayr United (lost 1-0)
2004: Rangers (won on pens after1-1 draw)
2007: St Johnstone (won 3-1 after extra time)
2016: St Johnstone (won 2-1)

The Ayr United game was one of the worst Hibs displays I've ever seen at Hampden! Or indeed anywhere!

I still have nightmares about that game. A frozen, eerie, /hampden, and our players trying vainly to get past a Yogi Hughes who looked like he'd been kipping all night in the Kirkgate.

Waxy
17-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Whats our cup record against Dundee utd like? When's the last time we knocked them out the Scottish?

G B Young
17-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Whats our cup record against Dundee utd like? When's the last time we knocked them out the Scottish?

Last time we knocked them out the Scottish Cup was 2003, a 3-2 win at Tannadice. And obviously we beat them handsomely in the League Cup earlier this season. But overall, our best cup results came against them before the Jim McLean years which transformed them from also rans to contenders. Since then they've won the majority of the cup ties between the sides. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in the 2005 semi-final we were well on top and 1-0 up at half-time but took the foot off the pedal and paid the price when United brought on two subs who turned the game on its head late on.

WHAM
17-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Last time we knocked them out the Scottish Cup was 2003, a 3-2 win at Tannadice. And obviously we beat them handsomely in the League Cup earlier this season. But overall, our best cup results came against them before the Jim McLean years which transformed them from also rans to contenders. Since then they've won the majority of the cup ties between the sides. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in the 2005 semi-final we were well on top and 1-0 up at half-time but took the foot off the pedal and paid the price when United brought on two subs who turned the game on its head late on.

A Grant Brebnber hat trick that day and a massive Hibs support. Filled the shed behind the goal and the whole side stand. Mental celebrations at the winner 👍🏼

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2016, 04:22 PM

We didn't score until the second half. Deek with a penalty.

IIRC, the game turned when Murphy went off and we had to put Thomson on at left back. Then, as we were chasing the game, nobody seemed to want to pass to Sproule................

G B Young
17-03-2016, 07:23 PM

IIRC, the game turned when Murphy went off and we had to put Thomson on at left back. Then, as we were chasing the game, nobody seemed to want to pass to Sproule................

My memory's clearly fading. I could almost swear I remember the teams going in at half-time with us 1-0 up and thinking we had it in the bag as United had offered very little. But yes, you're right and I guess that makes it even more frustrating we didn't see the game out. I do recall Sproule not getting any service. Think that must have been shortly after he arrived at the club?

JimBHibees
17-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Caldwell being the main culprit. Scotland and McIntyre (Ross county manager, also scored the pen v Pars so he has a bit of a sign v us) scored I think. Simon Brown was in goal and should have saved one of them IMO.

G B Young
18-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Caldwell being the main culprit. Scotland and McIntyre (Ross county manager, also scored the pen v Pars so he has a bit of a sign v us) scored I think. Simon Brown was in goal and should have saved one of them IMO.

Simon Brown, jeez, marginally better than Zibi but critics of Oxley should pause to consider these guys first.