PDA

View Full Version : Players regrets

Spike Mandela
14-03-2016, 10:16 AM
I remember listening to Alex Miller talking about his half time talk in the 1991 cup final and saying something along the lines of " you are the better team, go and win it or you will regret it the rest of your lives."

I think many who were playing yesterday will have these regrets in the future. Some might never get to a final again.. We had the beating of County with the players we had yesterday and but for a couple of silly mistakes should have comfortably won it.

I have seen Hibs lose finals, we all have, but this is the only defeat coming away that I thought ' Jeez we should have won that'. Definitely the one that got away.

GreenArmyyy!
14-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Reflecting on things this morning in a deep state of depression.

How bloody bad have we had it in the last four years?!

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I remember listening to Alex Miller talking about his half time talk in the 1991 cup final and saying something along the lines of " you are the better team, go and win it or you will regret it the rest of your lives."

I think many who were playing yesterday will have these regrets in the future. Some might never get to a final again.. We had the beating of County with the players we had yesterday and but for a couple of silly mistakes should have comfortably won it.

I have seen Hibs lose finals, we all have, but this is the only defeat coming away that I thought ' Jeez we should have won that'. Definitely the one that got away.

It was similar in many ways to the Falkirk semi final last season, for anyone who was at that game as well, the whole second half pretty much played out in the exact same way, we huffed a puffed and they scored their only real chance.

For me that's what makes yesterday so depressing, it was a re run of last season, like we learned nothing. It may not have been clear at the start of the game Ross County would play this game but by half time it surely was, something needed to change and it was all to late by the time we made any meaningful change to the team.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 10:23 AM

True, it's one thing to take a hammering or be soundly beaten on the day, but we could have won the game by half time yesterday, which is what makes the defeat so painful. It was a terrific chance to win a trophy that wasn't taken.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 10:37 AM
It was similar in many ways to the Falkirk semi final last season, for anyone who was at that game as well, the whole second half pretty much played out in the exact same way, we huffed a puffed and they scored their only real chance.

For me that's what makes yesterday so depressing, it was a re run of last season, like we learned nothing. It may not have been clear at the start of the game Ross County would play this game but by half time it surely was, something needed to change and it was all to late by the time we made any meaningful change to the team.We didn't really, we actually played well and hit the woodwork twice, on another day it would have been a comfortable 3-0 win like it was next time we played them.

Yorkshire HFC
14-03-2016, 11:11 AM
How are Hibs the better team?

Ross County are a Premier league team - Hibs, currently, are not.

We should accept this reality - we're a Championship team fighting to get into the Premier League - our players are Championship players who've raised their levels in a couple of games this season. I don't think that the players or manager have earned the praise that has been heaped on them this season - I don't understand why they get such an easy ride from the press, and I don't think it's done them any favours.

Maybe they are good enough to get promoted, as so many on here keep saying - but they need to prove it - as does the manager.

Mikey09
14-03-2016, 11:29 AM

We should accept this reality - we're a Championship team fighting to get into the Premier League - our players are Championship players who've raised their levels in a couple of games this season. I don't think that the players or manager have earned the praise that has been heaped on them this season - I don't understand why they get such an easy ride from the press, and I don't think it's done them any favours.

Maybe they are good enough to get promoted, as so many on here keep saying - but they need to prove it - as does the manager.

So McGinn, Henderson, Stokes, McGeouch, Fontaine to name a few are Championship standard players?! Aye ok! :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
14-03-2016, 11:32 AM

We are a better team than county, weve beaten SPL teams in cups this season that they have lost to in the league, dundee utd and aberdeen being good examples. Your post is nonsense in my opinion.

Yorkshire HFC
14-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Apart from Stokes then yes, I'm afraid they are.

I only go to 2 - 3 games a season - the three that I've seen this season have been terrible. When we got Stokes, I thought that it was a masterstroke and that his goals would get us promotion - how wrong I was.

Does the league table not show the players for what they are - again?

Yorkshire HFC
14-03-2016, 11:39 AM
We are a better team than county, weve beaten SPL teams in cups this season that they have lost to in the league, dundee utd and aberdeen being good examples. Your post is nonsense in my opinion.

Obviously, I'd love to agree with you - but look at the facts - league position and the fact that they've got a trophy would suggest to me that they are currently better than Hibs.

They've also beaten a few SPL teams this season. Just because we've got more supporters doesn't make us a better team.

Anyway, the point is - we need to get back into the SPL.

Mikey09
14-03-2016, 11:39 AM

I only go to 2 - 3 games a season - the three that I've seen this season have been terrible. When we got Stokes, I thought that it was a masterstroke and that his goals would get us promotion - how wrong I was.

Henderson has been outstanding this season! He's only 19 as well! Seriously you are either at it or talking pish.

Frazerbob
14-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Every County player, coach and even their owner conceded we were the better on the day and most also commented on how good a side we are. Scant consolation but relevant to this thread.

Hermit Crab
14-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Obviously, I'd love to agree with you - but look at the facts - league position and the fact that they've got a trophy would suggest to me that they are currently better than Hibs.

They've also beaten a few SPL teams this season. Just because we've got more supporters doesn't make us a better team.

You're at it.

Fergus52
14-03-2016, 06:32 PM
:troll:

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 06:34 PM

You better work on that time machine Marty cause there's currently 0 chance of hibs getting back into the SPL.......

Captain Trips
14-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I do not care what league we and they are in, we were in a position to win this match. I am not blaming mistakes I am blaming the play in the final 3rd.

hibsboy69
14-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Every County player, coach and even their owner conceded we were the better on the day and most also commented on how good a side we are. Scant consolation but relevant to this thread.

Nail on head. :agree:

Onion
14-03-2016, 06:53 PM
I do not care what league we and they are in, we were in a position to win this match. I am not blaming mistakes I am blaming the play in the final 3rd.

:top marks In all the games we've lost in the last 2 weeks, had we converted a fraction of the chances we created or made more of the great positions we got into, we'd have won all those game comfortably, and the pressure on our defence and individual players would not have arisen or mattered.

At all levels, teams who fail to make the most of their possession or take chances usually get punished.

nellio
14-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Can't agree with this at all! Absolutely all those players are good enough to play in the SPL. McGinn especially, a baffling statement!!!

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 07:01 PM

Does the league table not show the players for what they are - again?Sorry but you are talking utter crap, if we were a smaller club SPL teams would take at least 7-8 players from us this summer.

Ronniekirk
14-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Nail on head. :agree:

The poster also said its scant consolationI I had load of texts from friends family and colleagues telling me we were better team ,and unlucky , but thats what makes it harder to take this time for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk