View Full Version : Liam Fontaine

Torto7062
14-03-2016, 08:23 AM
[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/3c147ad50f7c709c860a460aa09c2fc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gatecrasher
14-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Fonts is a good guy, a good player and honest. I won't hold any grudge or against him or any of the players for that matter. Just finish the season with promotion!

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Sometimes it's easy to forget in the modern day and specifically at hibs, based on the number of emotionless mercenaries that have played for us in the last few years, that the players may actually love the club too, maybe not as much as some of us do but I can't even imagine what a nervous wreck i'd be trying to play in a cup final.

We probably all feel **** together, I really hope they can turn it around because we all deserve better than constant failure.

liamh2202
People who question us who give these boys a clap at the end of games... Especially recently should appreciate how much this club means to them... Mginn,gray and fontaine all in tears and the one who personifies it for me is liam henderson. The sooner some people appreciate what kind of characters we have and accept for the first time in a long time we are all in this together the better

GreenArmyyy!
As devastated as I am I wouldn't ever want to use a single player as a scapegoat especially in a cup final. He will be absolutely broken today. The big man scored a great goal and made one mistake. If our strikers had any clue how to score we wouldn't have been in that situation going in to the 90th minute.

JimBHibees
14-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Very brave and honest appraisal. Well done Liam.

DaveF
People who question us who give these boys a clap at the end of games... Especially recently should appreciate how much this club means to them... Mginn,gray and fontaine all in tears and the one who personifies it for me is liam henderson. The sooner some people appreciate what kind of characters we have and accept for the first time in a long time we are all in this together the better

These guys should have a look at my Hampden Hibs record - They'd be in tears for a year :greengrin

JimBHibees

Agree totally.

green day
14-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Just watched the winning goal and it was even worse than my view from the south stand yesterday.

However, if he hadn't tried to cut it out, it was a back post tap in anyway.

Team game and many worse than him yesterday.

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 08:30 AM

No one is really berating people for clapping, personally I couldn't bring myself to do it due to the manner in which we lost. I stayed and clapped at the end of the play offs last year and felt like greetin, I thought I couldn't feel worse but then yesterday happened. It's not the lack of commitment again from the team it's the manner in which it happened. If they had beaten us 2-1 but scored their second in the 60th minute maybe you'd have had more folk clapping them off, but it was literally minutes after the goal we are expected to applaud the team that just lost a cup final in the last minute.

Golden Bear
14-03-2016, 08:32 AM

Well said Liam. I didn't exactly accept the defeat graciously myself but there's no doubt we have a good group of professionals who care passionately about the Club.

Unlike some squads in recent years.

rcarter1
14-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Good on Fontaine. If he leaves the ball, the other boy could score, it was just a difficult split second decision that went wrong. So much to play for, and we are one big performance from getting back to Hampden. If the whole team sits down and asks - how can we make better use of our possession, and comes up with answers, we should breeze through the play offs. I agree we need to move on right way and focus on the challenges still to come.

J-C
14-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Great words from the big fella, I don't blame any players yesterday, they tried their best and never shirked, it was another of those days we all unfortunately have become to know all too regularly. I also don't blame him for their second goal, he had a guy coming in behind him and all he was doing was stopping him getting the ball, just a pity he didn't get more of a boot on it to clear the danger but he was lunging at it.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 08:36 AM
It's not the players fault. This is down to the management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveF
14-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Just watched the winning goal and it was even worse than my view from the south stand yesterday.

It's a bad error. As a left footer, surely he should have been trying to help the ball on it's way out for a corner or a throw in. He's mis-timed it horribly for us, perfectly for them.

Ajo
14-03-2016, 08:42 AM
The cross should have been stopped coming in. McGregor backed off from Gardyne leaving Bartley desperately trying to get back and stop the cross. Darren should have gone and blocked it.

ZAGREB RED
14-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Yes he miskicked it into the County player's path for a tap-in but he was stretching to get there and had to try and get something on the cross, harsh to blame him. The fact he scored the equalizer and came close to repeating that in injury time speaks volumes for him. Yes, he made a mistake, but an honest one...doesn't alter the fact it led to the winner but if he had stood and watched the cross come in and Graham (?) had tapped in at the back post, then he would have deserved to be slated.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Yes he miskicked it into the County player's path for a tap-in but he was stretching to get there and had to try and get something on the cross, harsh to blame him. The fact he scored the equalizer and came close to repeating that in injury time speaks volumes for him. Yes, he made a mistake, but an honest one...doesn't alter the fact it led to the winner but if he had stood and watched the cross come in and Graham (?) had tapped in at the back post, then he would have deserved to be slated.

Who is slating him?

ZAGREB RED
14-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Who is slating him?
Some on here and also in the press ?

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 08:57 AM
The more I watch that second goal the worse it gets. Very poor defending from Fonts Two basic errors cost us both goals

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 08:59 AM
The cross should have been stopped coming in. McGregor backed off from Gardyne leaving Bartley desperately trying to get back and stop the cross. Darren should have gone and blocked it.This is the right line of thinking, 2/3 mistakes were made before the ball was even near Fontaine, not his fault.

HibeesLittleHel
14-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Putting the thread back on track I would just like to say "Well Said Mr Fontaine", sums up how loads of us feel as we shared your joy and horror on both occasions. If we stick together we'll get stronger and move forwards.
Keep the faith!:thumbsup:

CentreLine
14-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Very brave and honest appraisal. Well done Liam.

:agree:Absolutely honest by the big man. Sometimes we forget we have players now who do play for the jersey and who hurt as much as we do when things go wrong.

Another big game Wednesday, I hope they can all pull themselves up for it :flag:

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 09:03 AM
This is the right line of thinking, 2/3 mistakes were made before the ball was even near Fontaine, not his fault. And then when the cross did come in rather than deal with it properly and turn it out of play Fontaine for some reason decided to knock it back over the face of his goal. Playground defending and entirely his fault

Smartie
14-03-2016, 09:05 AM
He's a good, honest player Fontaine.

We can pin all the blame on a CH running towards his own goal trying to clear it with his weaker foot with a man behind him if we want, but it misses the point and we learn nothing. The majority of the blame for that goal lies with those that led to us ending up in that situation in the first place.

He knows he made a mistake but that's all it was.

Hopefully he bounces back and drives us through the ICT game.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 09:05 AM
And then when the cross did come in rather than deal with it properly and turn it out of play Fontaine for some reason decided to knock it back over the face of his goal. Playground defending and entirely his faultWell no because the boy got down the wing and the cross got into the box, it is quite clearly not just the fault of 1 player.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 09:11 AM
He's a good, honest player Fontaine.

We can pin all the blame on a CH running towards his own goal trying to clear it with his weaker foot with a man behind him if we want, but it misses the point and we learn nothing. The majority of the blame for that goal lies with those that led to us ending up in that situation in the first place.

Hopefully he bounces back and drives us through the ICT game.

It wasn't his weaker foot - he used his left.

I agree with your post BTW, but just wanted to point that out :greengrin

Shore Thing
14-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Thought he was immense yesterday.
And so nearly scored with his overhead kick in the dying seconds.
Clearly passionate about the club and deserves all our on-going support.
Onwards and upwards big guy.

bob12345
14-03-2016, 09:15 AM
He's had a shocker but the two goals are a catalogue of errors. Fontaine produced numerous important challenges throughout the game and scored a goal, hardly to blame for defeat in the slightest. I just don't know why we had so few players back, we knew they were good on the counter and had just a few minutes to go until extra time.

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 09:17 AM

. A mistake that cost his team a cup. In professional sport there is very little margin for error

Smartie
14-03-2016, 09:19 AM
It wasn't his weaker foot - he used his left.

I agree with your post BTW, but just wanted to point that out :greengrin

TBH I've not seen it since I was at the game so I can't really remember.

I'm sure you're right.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 09:20 AM
A mistake that cost his team a cup. In professional sport there is very little margin for error

It did, but if he hadn't smashed in our equaliser then that mistake would not have meant a thing anyway. Give him a break FFS.

hibsbollah
He took responsibility throughout, likes being on the ball and 80% of what he did was faultless. He speaks really well there, I had a lump in my throat watching him and Hendo crying yesterday. Anyone who thinks these boys are mercenaries aren't paying attention.

Thecat23
A mistake that cost his team a cup. In professional sport there is very little margin for error

He also got us back in the game.

CentreLine
14-03-2016, 09:23 AM
And then when the cross did come in rather than deal with it properly and turn it out of play Fontaine for some reason decided to knock it back over the face of his goal. Playground defending and entirely his fault

Oddly enough I saw it differently. He was at full stretch, facing his own goal and aware he had the player he had tracked coming in behind him, there was a tap in if he did nothing. An own goal was a real prospect and in the split second his attempt to defend the situation he knocks the ball in to the path of the attacker that should have been tracked by someone else.

"Schoolboy defending"? If it was it was not by Fontaine, just bad luck on the stretch. The problem, if anything, was that we were pressing a little high and the whole defense was turned facing our goal. Bartley performed heroics trying to cut out the cross but McGregor also drifted outside the near post and that left Fontaine with two in the middle. The cross was too far out for Oxley to deal with and the rest is history.

Fontaine makes a forced error for me but not schoolboy defending IMHO.

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 09:25 AM
He also got us back in the game. Getting us back in the game doesn't mean we should just ignore his mistake that ended up costing us the game.
For a defender to knock a ball back over the face of his own goal line is criminal at any level of fitba.

Hibby 2005
14-03-2016, 09:26 AM
The cross should have been stopped coming in. McGregor backed off from Gardyne leaving Bartley desperately trying to get back and stop the cross. Darren should have gone and blocked it.

I remember thinking that at the time, I also remember Oxley rooted to his line when the cross came in but the main memory is Fontaine sticking a leg out more in hope than anything else.

We lost the Final for other reasons, the main ones being the wrong starting line-up and Stubbs inability to make effective substitutions.

Smartie
14-03-2016, 09:26 AM

It's a game that is riddled with mistakes.

Yes, he made a costly one.

But there were many mistakes in the lead-up to that goal as well as the first goal. Don't even get me started on what went on up the other end.

Nothing we can do now other than try to learn from it. We have a huge game on Wednesday - I'd like nothing more than to see us back at Hampden with our necks on the block again in May.

Fair play to Fonts for acknowledging the mistake and the hurt in his tweet.

Much classier than the way the likes of Doherty behaved and he deserves our support 100%.

hibee_girl
14-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Getting us back in the game doesn't mean we should just ignore his mistake that ended up costing us the game.
For a defender to knock a ball back over the face of his own goal line is criminal at any level of fitba.

Pretty sure Fontaine knows that hence the statement he's put out.

I feel for him, you can feel the pain he's feeling from every word he's written there. It very nearly broke me this morning! :boo hoo:

Since90+2
14-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Liam - We have faith yourself and the rest of the squad will put as back we were belong and secure promotion back to the Premiership.

Chin up big man , we will bounce back.

snooky
14-03-2016, 09:34 AM
All the players will be as gutted -if not more- than the support. Let's accept it just wasn't our day and move on to the next challenge.
First time I"ve ever seen or read any message like Liam's. Well done. We have a real team with guys like that around.

hibee-boys
14-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Just got round to watching the highlights, it was an error, ideally should have hooked it clear with his right foot but went with his stronger left which I guess is just instinct. The defence however were left badly exposed, criminal to leave that amount of space to Gardyne wide right in the last minute of a cup final. This is another example of the diamond formation costing us dear, Gray had been pushing up the park, as he's obliged to do to provide width, yet leaves the defence exposed. You can see Bartley bursting a gut trying to cover that area to prevent the cross but just couldn't cover the ground quick enough.

I proportion no blame to any one player, you could tell they were all hurting. However, serious questions need to be asked of the management and tactics employed. How many teams have caught us in the break this season, mainly due to our full backs getting caught too high up the pitch. For gods sake let out full back defend first and foremost and create a system where our front 6 are primarily tasked with generating goal scoring opportunities. Sick to death of this b****** diamond formation. It may work for some clubs however our manager needs to start to realise that we just don't have the personnel which make it effective.

Allant1981
14-03-2016, 09:39 AM
It's not the players fault. This is down to the management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you figure that? That team yesterday was good enough to win

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 09:39 AM
If only people were so quick to defend Oxley...

Allant1981
14-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Getting us back in the game doesn't mean we should just ignore his mistake that ended up costing us the game.

From where we were sat it looked like he tried to block it rather than knock it away

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 09:42 AM
If only people were so quick to defend Oxley...I am, I support everyone in a Hibs shirt and hate everyone who isn't.

sleeping giant
14-03-2016, 09:43 AM
How do you figure that? That team yesterday was good enough to win

How can you say that ?
They clearly were not.

Smartie
14-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Just got round to watching the highlights, it was an error, ideally should have hooked it clear with his right foot but went with his stronger left which I guess is just instinct. The defence however were left badly exposed, criminal to leave that amount of space to Gardyne wide right in the last minute of a cup final. This is another example of the diamond formation costing us dear, Gray had been pushing up the park, as he's obliged to do to provide width, yet leaves the defence exposed. You can see Bartley bursting a gut trying to cover that area to prevent the cross but just couldn't cover the ground quick enough.

I proportion no blame to any one player, you could tell they were all hurting. However, serious questions need to be asked of the management and tactics employed. How many teams have caught us in the break this season, mainly due to our full backs getting caught too high up the pitch. For gods sake let out full back defend first and foremost and create a system where our front 6 are primarily tasked with generating goal scoring opportunities. Sick to death of this b****** diamond formation. It may work for some clubs however our manager needs to start to realise that we just don't have the personnel which make it effective.

:agree:

I think the diamond can and (sometimes) does work but it doesn't cut it for me with our current personnel. It doesn't work without McGeouch, Fyvie and Malonga.

Rather than blame individuals for mistakes i think we need to re-think our game plan.

Yesterday showed up the achilles heel of the diamond formation on the biggest stage.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 09:46 AM

You can clearly see that's not where he meant to put it. He's full stretch and the boy coming in behind him would have fired it straight in. It was very unlucky that it went where it did.

Anyone else you feel needs slaughtered?

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 09:47 AM
I am, I support everyone in a Hibs shirt and hate everyone who isn't.

Not aimed at an individual, look at the disallowed goal thread. Desperation to find a way to paint it as Oxleys error yet an actual error is almost shrugged off.

My view is everyone put in a world of effort yesterday so not going to criticise any player or coach but the hypocrisy on here is laughable.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Not aimed at an individual, look at the disallowed goal thread. Desperation to find a way to paint it as Oxleys error yet an actual error is almost shrugged off.

My view is everyone put in a world of effort yesterday so not going to criticise any player or coach but the hypocrisy on here is laughable.

Well said. Sadly we seem to be in the minority on this.

MB62
14-03-2016, 09:56 AM
He's had a shocker but the two goals are a catalogue of errors. Fontaine produced numerous important challenges throughout the game and scored a goal, hardly to blame for defeat in the slightest. I just don't know why we had so few players back, we knew they were good on the counter and had just a few minutes to go until extra time.

Fontaine was not involved in the loss of the first goal, both he and McGregor were caught up the park from our free-kick. After a bad pass from K.T. Stokes makes NO attempt to challenge the County player (he really should have brought him down given the fact it was leaving a 3-1 attack).
I though Fontaine had a very good game yesterday, as did a few other (obviously some didn't) and probably his only fault was the fact he should have tried to clear the cross with his right foot rather than his left and that made it more awkward for him.

We are all gutted today and the fact the game was lost by mistakes from us is possibly even harder to take.
Fair play to County though. They came with a plan to stop us playing, man marked us all over the park and their tactics worked as we just kept the same system throughout, despite the fact it just was not working.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Fontaine was not involved in the loss of the first goal, both he and McGregor were caught up the park from our free-kick. After a bad pass from K.T. Stokes makes NO attempt to challenge the County player (he really should have brought him down given the fact it was leaving a 3-1 attack).
I though Fontaine had a very good game yesterday, as did a few other (obviously some didn't) and probably his only fault was the fact he should have tried to clear the cross with his right foot rather than his left and that made it more awkward for him.

We are all gutted today and the fact the game was lost by mistakes from us is possibly even harder to take.
Fair play to County though. They came with a plan to stop us playing, man marked us all over the park and their tactics worked as we just kept the same system throughout, despite the fact it just was not working.

Great point.

He should have taken Irvine out and collected a yellow card for the team.

lyonhibs
14-03-2016, 09:59 AM
This is the right line of thinking, 2/3 mistakes were made before the ball was even near Fontaine, not his fault.

:agree: :agree:

What McGregor was thinking just running back towards his own goal with no thought of closing down their winger I will never know. Horrible mistake by Fontaine, got his legs and feet in an almighty fankle.

Still, unlike previous incarnations, I don't think an accusation of lack of effort can be levelled at the team from yesterday. Nevertheless an enormous pisser to be tactically out-thought by a bunch of mostly huddies like RC.

For me, if we're in the business of apportioning blame, more of it falls at Stubbs' door than the players.

Aldoo
14-03-2016, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=lyonhibs;4618472]:agree: :agree:

What McGregor was thinking just running back towards his own goal with no thought of closing down their winger I will never know. Horrible mistake by Fontaine, got his legs and feet in an almighty fankle.

Correct, mcgregor ran on a line to defend his front post instead of closing down their winger, if he did that Fontaine would probably never been in the position he was to do what he did. McGregor ruined a great performance from him with an inexplicable positional decision.

MyJo
14-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Having watched the highlights had Fontaine not swung a foot at the ball there was a county player immediately behind him who would have been on the end of that cross.

both times, hibs players made challenges to clear the ball and both times the ball fell kindly for county players to put it in an open net.

3 shots on goal and 2 goals from county tells its own story.

500miles
14-03-2016, 10:14 AM
:agree: :agree:

Still, unlike previous incarnations, I don't think an accusation of lack of effort can be levelled at the team from yesterday. Nevertheless an enormous pisser to be tactically out-thought by a bunch of mostly huddies like RC.

For me, if we're in the business of apportioning blame, more of it falls at Stubbs' door than the players.
I don't get this tactical line that's trotted out. We gave away very few chances and created plenty, and that's indicative of our shape and tactics. Poor finishing and a couple of unfavourable breaks of the ball really cost us.

Allant1981
14-03-2016, 10:16 AM
How can you say that ?
They clearly were not.

That team that was put out yesterday was definately good enough to win, on the day we just werent good enough

Dublin07
14-03-2016, 10:19 AM
This statement shows the difference in the club since Stubbs arrived. We have players that love the club now and are hurting as bad as we are today. Remember some of the shameful tweets etc after the 2012 final from the players. We had at least 3 players in tears yesterday one of them a loan player.

CentreLine
14-03-2016, 10:21 AM
This statement shows the difference in the club since Stubbs arrived. We have players that love the club now and are hurting as bad as we are today. Remember some of the shameful tweets etc after the 2012 final from the players. We had at least 3 players in tears yesterday one of them a loan player.

:agree:99.9999% egree with you there. I don't think Stokes loves anything but himself and I don't think Thomson cares.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 10:21 AM
I don't get this tactical line that's trotted out. We gave away very few chances and created plenty, and that's indicative of our shape and tactics. Poor finishing and a couple of unfavourable breaks of the ball really cost us.

We don't need to. Our concession rate to chances offered up is unreal and you seem to be ignoring the dreadful play in the build to both goals we lost too.

lyonhibs
14-03-2016, 10:26 AM

The tactics of staying painfully narrow in midfield, the tactics of shelling it long from Oxley to Cummings 90% of the time, the tactical decision to start KT (further compounded by not introducing the pace of Boyle and Keatings way earlier), the tactics of getting to about 18-20 yards out and then waiting for some kind of Barca-esque moment instead of gambling on balls into the box ASAP every time (which they really struggled with in the first half when we put them in)

And so on, and so on. I guess by unfavourable breaks of the ball you're meaning KT passing them the ball 20 yards out (although, granted, Bartley was bloody unlucky with the way the ball broke after his last ditch tackle) and then McGregor acting like was on a rubber lasso attached to the middle of the goals whilst their winger was given the freedom of Hampden Park for the 2nd.

Individual errors, poor finishing and a absence of an tactical plan B in the last 20 - 30 minutes are what cost us.

Smartie
14-03-2016, 10:26 AM

It happens too often though.

How many gilt-edged chances did we miss? We create half-chances, we struggle to create the type of chance that our strikers will score from. This has been the case since Stubbs joined. Our goal came from a scramble following a corner.

They were comfortable allowing us all the possession and when they hit us on the break they created good chances and scored goals. Again - this is not the first time this has happened to us.

Our tactics can leave our fullbacks up the park leaving us vulnerable to counter attacks.

Remember the Ivan Sproule hat-trick game at Ibrox? Soaking up pressure, stopping your opponents creating easy chances, having your keeper in form when you need it then hitting clinically on the break with pace?

I would agree with you if this was the first time I'd seen this happen but it is not, far from it.

rcarter1
14-03-2016, 10:39 AM

I agree we only gave away a few chances. They were however really good chances and not surprising they took two. Not great, but if we score 2 or 3 ourselves not the end of the game.

As for creating lots of chances. You might want to watch the second half again. I fail to see one clear cut chance for Hibs the whole 45 mins. Perhaps the one where Stokes creates some space and puts it left, but aside from that we created nothing I would classify as a good chance. We had some wayward shots from outside of the box, for me these are half-chances at best and represent a poor use of the possession and territory we had.

I look at the second half and see NO tactics going forward. A lot of decent footballers with a fair amount of possession in the opposition half, but no plan with what to do with the ball. Stubbs has openly admitted he wants his team to have freedom to be spontaneous. He needs to step in when that doesn't lead to goals. It has been failing us for about 18 months, and this is where people have a right to call in question the tactics.

Players need to get used to where the ball will be played into, and attack these spaces. Midfielders need to be prepared to come from deep to support the attack. By all means have two or three attack plans, BUT make sure they are plans, not just occasional moments of spontaneity.

First half in fairness we really looked a team that could win the match. So what happens second half? A lot of dodgy second halves from this team - and that is consistent with a lack of strategy.

Hibeesforever
14-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Respect for the post to Fonts. Hibernian played with zest and effort. His strikers let the team down too. They made bigger mistakes.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Absolutely no issue with the mistake, these things happen and Font's certainly isn't one of these guys who make the same mistakes regularly. Bit of class to issue the statement, but no need really. All right thinking Hibbies wouldn't be holding that against him. To be fair, we could have had that game done and dusted well before then.

I thought he was immense yesterday. Got off to a shaky start in the first few minutes with a couple of dodgy touches but never hid or shirked and played himself into the game. That's bravery on a football pitch.

Heid up big felly, and go again on Wednesday.

My_Wife_Camille
14-03-2016, 12:45 PM
A horrible error of judgement from the guy and I'm gutted for him. Any other time he helps that out for a corner but he made the wrong choice and it ultimately cost us.

Best thing to do now is win us promotion and maybe lift that other cup and we'll all soon forget about it!:flag:

snooky
14-03-2016, 01:14 PM
It's Mickey Mouse cup anyway (is that not the standard response when you get Donalded in it?) :wink:

j'adore hibs
14-03-2016, 01:24 PM
This is the right line of thinking, 2/3 mistakes were made before the ball was even near Fontaine, not his fault.

i cant reiterate this enough, said this over and over to ,my mate last night.

mcgregor left bartley to try and cover ground he'd never make, mcgregor could have forced player down the line

Hi Heid Yin
14-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Heart-touching honesty from Fontaine and much appreciated.
His best way to try and make up for it is to now help drive our team and his colleagues onto promotion.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 01:36 PM
i cant reiterate this enough, said this over and over to ,my mate last night.

mcgregor left bartley to try and cover ground he'd never make, mcgregor could have forced player down the line

If you watch the highlights (understandable if you don't 😂) you see Bartley barking instructions when he's not going to be able to make the challenge, McGregor completely sold them out. Having said that, if we'd managed the game properly and learnt anything from the ridiculous amount of break away goals we've lost recently, they'd never have scored at all yesterday.

scooby
14-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Really feel for Fonts, thought he had a really good game and very nearly scored a second at the end.
Keep your chin up big man.

Diclonius
14-03-2016, 01:52 PM
If Fontaine doesn't play, we lose 1-0. I'd rather we lose 2-1 with him scoring, great moment. He'll just have to score again in the Scottish Cup Final. :greengrin

lyonhibs
14-03-2016, 02:03 PM
If Fontaine doesn't play, we lose 1-0. I'd rather we lose 2-1 with him scoring, great moment. He'll just have to score again in the Scottish Cup Final. :greengrin

That's not quite how it works in reality. But yeah, the goal was great to celebrate. Just a real shame we didn't use the momentum it gave us to kick on and score a couple in the 2nd half.

Green-Hibee-7
14-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Admittedly I have not watched the game back, to annoyed to even bother with it and basing this point of view on the back of one to many pints but for me the goal is totally avoidable.

89th minute in any match is painful and I feel we should always be going out to win the game, but it comes down to game management. We have no width. Gray bombing down that right flank at that time in the game there is no-one other than Bartley that is able to cover him. He's on a card/shattered so can't get to the challenge so one of the centre halfs is dragged out wide and the other is struggling to move over and cover.

Just see the game out or use the front players to create any chance in the last minute and don't take the risk pushing full backs on at that time. The way we play with the diamond it requires constant bombing on from both full backs to deliver. I honestly just don't feel we have the quality in delivery to justify taking the risk with them bombing on so much.

That said had Gray swung in the ball in the 89th minute and it lead to our winner then this point of view would be completely worthless. Small details but yet again we are on the recieving end.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Win together, draw together, lose together. The together bit is what matters.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Win together, draw together, lose together. The together bit is what matters.

Your in the wrong place.

We are a football club that is, or at least should be, defined by results

You sound as though you would me more at home on a tour bus to Oban.

Balance of probability is I wont see many of the folk on the bus I went to the game on ever again.

Would I swap that for us having won the cup

In a heartbeat.

Joe Baker2
14-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Solid guy!

Albion Hibs
14-03-2016, 06:38 PM
I see no reason for him to be doing this he was one of the few that had a positive impact on the game. He should never have been put in the position of having to defend that ball facing his own goal in the last minute. Very naive from the management to be caught like that. I'm control of the game at 1 each, see out the 90 and go again in extra time. Fair play to him, I hope the manager and a good few of his team mates are grateful for him taking responsibility.

Itsnoteasy
14-03-2016, 06:50 PM

Why did he try and clear with his left foot & not his right. Maybe would have been a different outcome.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Now that is Hibs class .............. well done Liam, I hope at some point this season the cruel fitba gods give you the reward you and your team mates truly deserve.

WWFTWTG
14-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Honest pro who cares about Hibs - lets move on

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 07:13 PM
The guy has absolutely nothing to apologise over but shows his class in his post.

Eyrie
14-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Why did he try and clear with his left foot & not his right. Maybe would have been a different outcome.

Because Fontaine is left footed, and the natural instinct is to try to clear with your stronger foot. He had no choice in the matter with a player lurking behind him for a tap in, and it was yet another example of how cursed we are that his necessary interception broke kindly for one of their players.

As others have explained, Fontaine wasn't to blame for either goal and it speaks volumes for his character that he still felt the need to apologise to us.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 07:44 PM
No need to apologise tbe defeat was down to more then one mistake :boo hoo::boo hoo:

fulshie
14-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Well done Liam Fontaine. His post really does say how he feels and I'm sure that's how we all feel at the moment. I think we played well enough to win the cup but unfortunately that's the way things go in football. if there is anything good I took out the game was, that our squad is well capable of competing in the SPFL as we were way better a football side than them and their 4th in the top league. Heads up c'mon the Hibees! :flag:

superfurryhibby
14-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Where do you decide whose mistake it was? The cross should never have been delivered. The Ross County guy was allowed to run in and deliver a very searching ball. Fontaine was at full stretch to even get a foot on it it was a desperate block and it didn't work out.

You are at it, no question and I' m surprised that you're still on here. Contribute nothing but **** stirring and from now on shall be ignored.

gaz1875
14-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Where do you decide whose mistake it was? The cross should never have been delivered. The Ross County guy was allowed to run in and deliver a very searching ball. Fontaine was at full stretch to even get a foot on it it was a desperate block and it didn't work out.

You are at it, no question and I' m surprised that you're still on here. Contribute nothing but **** stirring and from now on shall be ignored.

There were a few mistakes to both goals you could blame a number of players depending if you like them or not. The first goal despite the misplaced pass from Thomson, he wasn't exactly helped out by Stokes who stood out the way of the RC player allowing him to get the ball instead of making any effort to tackle or win the ball. The second goal for me was the substitution of a midfielder for a striker leaving a huge gap in the centre of the midfield. The game didn't have 15 minutes to be won, there was the possibility of extra time and penalties, we weren't one goal down and desperate to equalise. Why did we play three similar strikers and not shore up the midfield then go for it in extra time if needed, strange decision and for me it possibly cost us the game.

whiskas
14-03-2016, 09:35 PM
My take on the incident was it was fatigue, pure and simple. You could tell from the expression on his face with that attempt to cut the cross out his head knew what it wanted to do but his body couldn't quite get there, ended up knocking it into a dangerous area and it's in in the net. Football can be cruel and in a finely balanced game that's all it takes.
Even though it was technically a mistake I didn't blame Fontaine at the time as he'd put his heart and soul into the game and his goal was all about desire and wanting it more than the other guy. His tweet cements this and as a Hibs fan I'm sure there'll be other Cup Finals but for Fontaine and the other players this was the chance of a lifetime to get a winner's medal and be part of a historic team and no matter how bad I feel a lot of our players will be feelng 10x worse.
That tweet took guts and I applaud Fontaine for making it but sometimes I wish we'd actually win on the big occasion!

paddy1875
14-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Kevin Thomson was at fault for the first, a sloppy half hit square pass in the middle of the park after we'd just broke down an attack.

The second is a few scrappy breaks of the ball that favour Ross county and a very well delivered cross into the box that Fontaine HAS to try and get clear. Times the clearance to early and it breaks off the sole of his foot straight into the path of the county player waiting to put away. A costly error but these things happen (always seems to be against us).

Iv watched it a couple of times and I can't help but think oxley could've maybe done more...it's pretty harsh and I'm not bashing the guy, but he's caught flat footed and just falls to the ground. Might just be me

Bad Martini
15-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I respect Fontaine for that. Fair play. And I was ****ing gutted then and still gutted now.

Let me say this; yes, he screwed it up at the end but why the actual **** did nobody (NOBODY) attack that ball further up the pitch? Take your pick at what point during the 90th minute the rest of our team could have intervened? I suggest tackling the Ross County player who had the time to take the ball down, chest it under control and move it wherever the **** he wanted (the start of the move) that lead to the goal would have been a good start.

In case anyone missed it, that occured just outside the ross county 18 yard box....somewhere between 80-100 yards from our goal line.

ENDOF

AndyM_1875
15-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't blame big Liam at all. From where I was siting he got hung out to dry by some of his other colleagues.

As others have said there were numerous opportunities to stop the County move before the ball was delivered across the goal starting with what seemed like too many Hibs players attacking County's penalty box seconds before and us being turned round quickly. That County winger should have been smashed to the floor and why were so many Hibs players committed in the Ross County half with seconds to go? We were staring extra time in the face. So no, not LF's fault.

When we play these big games in future, we need to be much more street wise and a lot nastier.

Captain Trips
15-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Liam it was a mistake but there were many mistakes that day, your error should have only been a consolation goal for RC. They should have been dead and buried.

Man Down Under
16-03-2016, 11:48 AM
He's always been one of my favourites, along with Oxley, not just talent but attitude and character. They just seem very humble which is why I will never hate them for any mistakes.
To be fair he almost scored a beut of an overhead kick to make up for it at the end too. Never gave up.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

3pm
17-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Well done Liam Fontaine! Very good performance last night.

Fergos
17-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Fonts will be feeling a little better today.

Well done to him and the rest of the team, Stubbsy and all, real character shown.

GGTTH