PDA

View Full Version : team for inverness

Unseen work
14-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Oxley

Gunnarsson Fontaine McGregor

Gray Henderson Bartley mcginn Stevenson

Boyl . Cummings

We need to have a better balance and the 3 at the back will provide this.

We need pace and an outball which boyle provides.

Boyle is also very handy for a goal/assist compared to the rest of the squad considering how little game time he gets

Crammond Hibee
14-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Oxley

Boyl . Cummings

Boyle is also very handy for a goal/assist compared to the rest of the squad considering how little game time he gets
Yes I would have that side

Big_Franck
14-03-2016, 07:40 AM
I'd go with that defence and attack. The front two i'd go with would either be as you have it or Keatings and Stokes. If he perseveres with Cummings and Stokes when it's been clear for weeks it doesn't work it is just asking for trouble.

number9dream
14-03-2016, 07:58 AM
I'd be tempted to make more changes than that but, with Hanlon, Fyvie and McGeouch missing, it's tough.

How about Boyle wide right instead of Gray and Keatings with Stokes up top?

It's going to be a real test of character and stamina a few days after that disappointment. Lose the first goal and it's curtains, I'd say.

Scorrie
14-03-2016, 08:44 AM
I'd go with that defence and attack. The front two i'd go with would either be as you have it or Keatings and Stokes. If he perseveres with Cummings and Stokes when it's been clear for weeks it doesn't work it is just asking for trouble.

I think I would leave Stokes out. He just doesn't seem to add anything for me so would go with Keatings and Cummings and see if that helps JC rediscover his form

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Oxley

Gunnarson
McGreggor
Fontaine

Gray
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGinn

Farid
Stokes

Hibernian Verse
14-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Oxley

Gunnarson
McGreggor
Fontaine

Gray
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGinn

Farid
Stokes
Agree. Cummings needs dropped, he looks lost at the moment. Couple of games on the bench may be what he needs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

DaveF
14-03-2016, 08:58 AM
How about fitting Danny Handling into the team? Clearly fit enough given his selection in the squad yesterday?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Oxley

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fonts

Gray
McGinn
Bartley
Hendo
Stevenson

Keatings
Stokes

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 09:06 AM
If it's stokes and cummings up front again I'll just burst out greetin.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Looking at this thread it seems most are convinced by 352 and seem unanimous on the 8 who fill the defence and midfield positions. It's the forwards people disagree upon.

Tbh with all our forwards I think if we could get players wide and delivering balls into the danger area we would score goals. It's this failing that means we are often relying on half chances, snap shots and feeding off scraps to win us games.

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Looking at this thread it seems most are convinced by 352 and seem unanimous on the 8 who fill the defence and midfield positions. It's the forwards people disagree upon.

Tbh with all our forwards I think if we could get players wide and delivering balls into the danger area we would score goals. It's this failing that means we are often relying on half chances, snap shots and feeding off scraps to win us games.

It depends on the quality of ball in to the box, if it's more of these tame floaty crosses that are easy to clear or just soar over the box then we will still struggle to score. The other teams centre halfs eat up our crosses, as can be seen by the amount of corners we get per game that actually lead to chances/goals.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 09:24 AM
It depends on the quality of ball in to the box, if it's more of these tame floaty crosses that are easy to clear or just soar over the box then we will still struggle to score. The other teams centre halfs eat up our crosses, as can be seen by the amount of corners we get per game that actually lead to chances/goals.

Agree.

I was thinking more deliveries into the box like the one that led to our winner against Hearts as opposed to the kind of deliveries that seem to be the norm the majority of the time.

For me that's why it's so important we get a bit width to allow players to get into an area where you can actually play a ball into the box with pace from behind the defence as opposed to the balls we play in now from 15-20 yards in front of the opposition, any CB worth their salt will lap that up all day.

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Agree.

I was thinking more deliveries into the box like the one that led to our winner against Hearts as opposed to the kind of deliveries that seem to be the norm the majority of the time.

For me that's why it's so important we get a bit width to allow players to get into an area where you can actually play a ball into the box with pace from behind the defence as opposed to the balls we play in now from 15-20 yards in front of the opposition, any CB worth their salt will lap that up all day.

Aye, that was what RC done yesterday for goal two, a low and powerful ball in to the box that caused enough problems it led to a goal.

We float it in too much or instead of hitting the by line we stop and pass it back then across the box or just lump it in from behind like you said.

Jones28
14-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Oxley

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fonts

Gray
McGinn
Bartley
Hendo
Stevenson

Keatings
Stokes

That'd be my team

Big_Franck
14-03-2016, 10:11 AM
How about fitting Danny Handling into the team? Clearly fit enough given his selection in the squad yesterday?

I don't think he is anywhere near match fit and was probably just on the bench due to a lack of other options. Stubbs said in a Hibs TV interview just before the final that he was back training with the boys but that he'd have to play a few development games to get the sharpness back. With Fyvie probably back in the squad for wed I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny drop out.

Monts
14-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Oxley

Gunnarson
MacGregor
Fontaine

Gray
Henderson
Bartley
Mcginn
Boyle

Farid
Stokes

Hermit Crab
14-03-2016, 10:21 AM
No JC please, Farid and Stokes or keatings.

dmc1875
14-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Oxley

gunnarson
mcgregor
fontaine

gray
stevenson

bartley
mcginn
henderson

farid
stokes

Hibeesmad
14-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Same team as yesterday, Boyle in for Thomson

Waxy
14-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Oxley

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fonts

Gray
McGinn
Bartley
Hendo
Stevenson

Keatings
StokesI go with this team.

500miles
14-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Same team, Keatings for Cummings, Boyle for Thomson and rotate the diamond. Go back three later if we have to, and have Jason give them Hell for the last half hour.

Allant1981
14-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Oxley(only cause the other keeper hasnt played yet)
Mcgregor
Fontaine
Gunnarsson
Gray
Henderson
Mcginn
Bartley
Stevenson
Keatings
Stokes

3pm
14-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine

Boyle
Henderson
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Cummings
Keatings

rotherhamrob
14-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Otley
Gunnarson
Mcgreggor
Fontaine

Boyle
Henderson
Mcginn
Bartley
Stevenson

Farid
Keatings/Dagnall

Smartie
14-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Oxley

Gunnarson
McGregor
Fontaine

Boyle
Henderson
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Stokes
Keatings

Exactly the team I proposed for the cup final, for the same reasons only Boyle comes in for Gray.

We have to choose between Bartley and Thomson (Bartley for me) and between Stokes and Cummings (Stokes for me).

Boyle's pace provides a greater threat down the right and the pace that Boyle and Keatings provide should leave more space for the likes of Stokes, Henderson and McGinn to work their magic.

Cummings would strike fear into them coming on as sub. Thomson can come on for Bartley if he gets a silly booking, or if we're defending a lead and we need to get a foot on the ball.

Farid can come on if it's going a bit route 1 (again). It would be nice to see us win a first ball for once - he's the man for that.

I wasn't that impressed by Inverness in the first game and I didn't think they placed at all well against the 3 at the back once McGeouch went off.

Pete
14-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Lots of talk regarding formations/team selections but the deciding factor will probably be how we react to defeat as a group.

Will we be browbeaten or will we be wounded animals determined to get back to Hampden and exorcise some ghosts?

The latter hopefully.

Crammond Hibee
14-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Oxley

Gunnarson
McGregor
Fontaine

Boyle
Henderson
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Stokes
Keatings

Exactly the team I proposed for the cup final, for the same reasons only Boyle comes in for Gray.

We have to choose between Bartley and Thomson (Bartley for me) and between Stokes and Cummings (Stokes for me).

Boyle's pace provides a greater threat down the right and the pace that Boyle and Keatings provide should leave more space for the likes of Stokes, Henderson and McGinn to work their magic.

Cummings would strike fear into them coming on as sub. Thomson can come on for Bartley if he gets a silly booking, or if we're defending a lead and we need to get a foot on the ball.

Farid can come on if it's going a bit route 1 (again). It would be nice to see us win a first ball for once - he's the man for that.

I wasn't that impressed by Inverness in the first game and I didn't think they placed at all well against the 3 at the back once McGeouch went off.
As you probably know I wouldn't have Thomson coming on for anyone
No point as he's not up to the pace

Smartie
14-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Lots of talk regarding formations/team selections but the deciding factor will probably be how we react to defeat as a group.

Will we be browbeaten or will we be wounded animals determined to get back to Hampden and exorcise some ghosts?

The latter hopefully.

Fair points but I think the formation and team selection always has a huge effect on the way we play.

The diamond, our fullbacks, our lack of pace, the lack of chemistry between our strikers, being caught with our fullbacks up the park - these are all features of the way we play.

If we try to play this way again, I suspect we'll have a lot of the ball, create a few half-chances, get hit on the break a few times and try to console ourselves that we were the better team - it happens every week FFS!

We need to try something different. Not drastically different, but different enough to make a difference.

I'd love to see the "wounded animal" approach, for us to start the game 100% full on and take the game to them with pace and verve, we need to come up with a team selection that will allow us to do that and imo we have the players.

What we don't need/want is a tepid start, a diamond, tippy-tappy sideways passing without threatening, Cummings and Stokes getting frustrated and then us losing a first goal where we're slack defensively with our fullbacks at the other end of the park…….

Smartie
14-03-2016, 04:20 PM
As you probably know I wouldn't have Thomson coming on for anyone
No point as he's not up to the pace

Who out of our sizeable group of midfielders would you have come on instead?

As I said, there may be reasons why we'd want to slow it down.

Thomson has his uses, we haven't always used him to best effect.

HappyHanlon
14-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Oxley

McG
Fonts
Niklas

Boyle
McGinn
Barts
Hendo
Lewy

Dagnall
Cummings (subbed early doors for Farid if playing gash)

Crammond Hibee
14-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Who out of our sizeable group of midfielders would you have come on instead?

As I said, there may be reasons why we'd want to slow it down.

Thomson has his uses, we haven't always used him to best effect.

Boyle
A bit of pace
Kevin far too slow
Henderson and McGinn thrive on pace

Smartie
14-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Boyle
A bit of pace
Kevin far too slow
Henderson and McGinn thrive on pace

I agree - means abandoning the diamond though.

(I think we're actually in agreement here).

Dr Jimmy
14-03-2016, 04:35 PM

We could also do with a midfielder running beyond our forwards from a central position. Drives me mental that this never happens, also think this is why we never get any penalties. Nobody running past anyone in the box that can be tripped!!

My team

Oxley (too late to change him now, but this defo needs to be looked at)

Gunnerson Fontaine McGregor

Barts

Boyle Henderson McGinn Stevenson

Farid Stokes

crash
14-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Surprised people are leaving Stevenson in,he has been very poor recently and Yogic definitely targeted him at ER with success.Ross County did the same yesterday,Michael Gardyne had the freedom of Hampden.

AlbertK86
14-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
Henderson
McGinn

Stokes
Keatings

Spike Mandela
14-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Not going to pick a team or a formation.

Stubbs has to look round his changing room, look the players in the eye and see which ones have the mental strength, the will to win and sheer determination to recover from yesterday's downer and move on to other ambitions.

No time to feel sorry for ourselves and if it means wholesale changes so be it. If a first pick is wallowing in yesterdays defeat drop him.

My gut feeling suggests that we won't recover and will likely get beat on Wednesday night but if we were to pull it off it will have taken massive reserves of sheer grit from our team.

TheFamous1875
14-03-2016, 04:59 PM
More importantly, I'd be telling Stubbs to drop 4-4-2 diamond and buy 2 wingers in the summer, but other than that, here's a provisional, ill-thought-out XI because I'm still ****ed from yesterday:

Oxley.

Gunnarsson. McGregor. Fontaine.

Gray. Bartley. Henderson. McGinn. Boyle.

Stokes. El-Alagui.

Stevenson dropped because he doesn't offer enough going forward, Boyle does and also tracks back and has pace. I'm not sure if he'd benefit from being on the opposite side and cutting in, but he might. El-Alagui and Stokes is a prospect that I've been wanting to see ever since Stokes and Cummings' first game together, when it was obvious that they aren't a good pairing and both cancel each other out. El-Alagui offers plenty. Get him involved.

Gunnarsson on adds pace to the back three and seems a safe pair of feet, so he's in. He'll also give Gray the freedom to get forward. It's a gamble - as is football by definition - but that's how I'm feeling just now - a good 24 hours after yesterday. Drop the ****ing diamond, Stubbs. It's cost us 2 leagues, a semi final, a League Cup trophy, and you may grow to rue it yourself as it could end up costing you your reputation. Bin it.

MyJo
14-03-2016, 05:03 PM
________________Oxley

____Gunnarson__McGregor__Fontaine

Gray___________Bartley__________Stevenson

______Henderson_________McGinn

_____________Boyle
___________________Al Alagui

Lago
14-03-2016, 06:25 PM

But thats the trouble, Hibs don't do wide and deliver into the box.

MyJo
14-03-2016, 07:15 PM
But thats the trouble, Hibs don't do wide and deliver into the box.

Somebody forgot to tell David Gray that against Hearts & Inverness then

Kaiserclem
14-03-2016, 08:02 PM
For me Stubbs always said a big squad is for competition for places, but he shows so much loyalty (not always a bad thing). Sometimes dropping players does generate the competition factor and I feel he now needs to show this or face losing the faith of the squad players who haven't been featuring. So, for me:

Virtanen

Gunnarsson McGregor Fontaine

Gray. Bartley Stevenson

Fyvie (if fit) McGinn

Henderson

Dagnall. Stokes

AL-Qaholik
14-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Can't believe how many people STILL have Oxley in their team...

DTS
14-03-2016, 08:43 PM
3-5-2 for me with Boyle I'm for gray Bartley as the holder with Cummings and keatings up top. I'd also like to see us try 4-3-3 with gunnarson at rb the same midfield 3 and then farid down the middle Boyle on the right and stokes on the left as 9/10 he ends up wide and looks more effective in the wider areas and with farid you'd still have someone in the middle to aim for

Lmc2105
14-03-2016, 09:13 PM
I fully believe that the defence has lost confidence in the goalkeeper and he needs dropped, I no we are nearly at the end of the season but I just have no confidence in him anymore. Crucial game and my team would be

Virtanen

Gunnarson - Fontaine - McGregor

Gray - McGinn - Bartley - Henderson - Boyle

Keatings - Alagui or Dagnall

FromTheCapital
14-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Oxley

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine

Gray
Bartley
Henderson
McGinn
Stevenson

Stokes
Keatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crammond Hibee
15-03-2016, 05:28 AM

Agreed😀

Septimus
15-03-2016, 05:38 AM

Yes please.

thebausburst
15-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Oxley

Boyl . Cummings

I totally agree with 3 at the back, but Stubbs won't do it, I agree a change up front is needed, but Stubbs won't do it. Will be amazed if it's not exactly the same team and he doesn't trot out the old line these guys deserve another chance crap, then we'll get beat and he'll change it for the next league game!

J-C
15-03-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here as ICT only play one up top generally, I'd go 4-3-3 and have a right good go at them

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Stokes
Keatings

SeanWilson
15-03-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here as ICT only play one up top generally, I'd go 4-3-3 and have a right good go at them

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGinn

Boyle
Stokes
Keatings

I'd love to see this, would require Gray and Stevenson to play at RB/LB rather than acing as semi-wingers and for Bartley to fall in to a back three when attacking but could be an option. Only problems is I don't think it solves any issues with regards to width other than you could have Boyle and Stokes out wide.

J-C
15-03-2016, 07:49 AM
I'd love to see this, would require Gray and Stevenson to play at RB/LB rather than acing as semi-wingers and for Bartley to fall in to a back three when attacking but could be an option. Only problems is I don't think it solves any issues with regards to width other than you could have Boyle and Stokes out wide.

The Stevenson/Gray issue I would also like to see them just as fullbacks, we would get width from Boyle and Keatings/Stokes who are both natural at playing slightly wider, Dangnal would be another option to use his pace, something we severely lack.

Fergus52
15-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Surprised people are leaving Stevenson in,he has been very poor recently and Yogic definitely targeted him at ER with success.Ross County did the same yesterday,Michael Gardyne had the freedom of Hampden.

Lewis has been much better than gray this season.

Way more assists and less defensive blunders.

Also who do we replace him with? Gunnarson on his wrong side?

CorrieHibs
15-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Oxley

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine

Boyle
Bartley
Henderson
McGinn
Stevenson

Stokes